[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

So is Megami Tensei the first monster catching game?
>>
>>4310725
Yes.
>>
Fact: SMT didn't get good until Nocturne.
>inb4 Nocturnebabby
>>
File: 1335468094773.png (120 KB, 793x593)
120 KB
120 KB PNG
>>4310864
Fuck you son of man
>>
It if actually happened to be the first, it probably didn't have as strong of an influence on stuff like Pokémon (if it had any at all) as some retards seem to think.
>>
>>4310864
Nah, SMTI is pretty good once you get used to it's bullshit. SMTII isn't as good but it still has great aspects like YHVH for example. Never played If..., hear mixed things on it.

Basically git gud.
>>
>>4310725
Some will say it was Wizardry IV, but both games were released pretty close to each other, in the same year.
I doubt they borrowed inspiration from each other.
>>
>>4310886
Wizardry had monster catching?
>>
>>4310864
I started with the SNES ones and i'm a huge fan of them, but I have to concede Nocturne really is the greatest entry in the series. It gives its first-person predecessors a huge facelift without actually dumbing anything down. The fact that it still retains a lot of that treacherous old school dungeon crawler feel despite being played from a 3rd person perspective tells a lot about the priorities Atlus set for themselves when they designed the game.

Make sure you try it if you're a fan and DON'T make the same mistake I made by expecting the worst from it.
>>
>>4310890
Wizardry IV has you playing as Werdna, the antagonist from I.

Instead of a party you can cummon up to three groups of progressively stronger monsters at summoning circles you reach on each floor.

It's mechanically and structurally distinct from how your monster party functions in Megami Tensei, where you obtain new party members by talking to enemies in the field or by fusing them at temples.
>>
Bard's Tale 1 let you summon and recruit monsters.
>>
>>4310725
Dragon Quest V was the reason pokemon exists :^)
>>
>>4310725
Funniest shit in SMT was that at some point you meet one guy who possesses an object you need, but he also has a summoning program so you have to duel him pokemon-style

>>4310874
SMT II was an improvement over SMT on nearly every aspect. The story was better to, from "Hey there S. Hawking here, take this cool software and go kill everyone you don't like or betrays you" to "Oh wow you're pretty strong, are you the Messiah? You'll do. Help us create paradise by killing all the heathens or you aren't the true Messiah!"

The true weakness of SMT II is that at some points it's hard to understand how to progress through the main quest, even with the fortune teller, and the huge map means you're going to spend a lot of time checking random important looking spots
>>
>>4310968
mother actually, pokemon is just mother 2.0
>>
>>4311417
Horseshit
>>
>>4310864
Soul Hackers is easily the best game in the whole series though.
>>
>>4310874
This, I don't understand the love SMT II gets at all. Sure it's the "hardest" SMT but is that the only criteria to judge the goodness of a game? It has some of the most boring and horrifically long fetch quests I've ever played. SMT 1 I found enjoyable despite how broken it is. I prefer nocturne and SJ to both snes titles tho
>>
>>4311521
My names not Horseshit, it's HORSE DICK.
>>
>>4310912
>you can cummon up to three groups

YEAH YOU CAN
>>
>>4311776
Nah, SJ is easily the best. A balance of classic and new SMT with a great science fiction setting based on movies like The Thing.
>>
>>4310968
But Tajiri got the idea from playing DQ2.
>>
>>4312670
Strange Journey was too easy. Plot was cool but otherwise I didn't love ut. Ditto with 4. Not bad, underwhelming combat wise.
>>
>>4311521
mewtwo is literally guiege
>>
>>4312740
not as hard as some SMT games, but it's up there. Especially if you haven't gotten used to the fusion mechanics
>>
>>4312784
That was my impression of it anyway. But I'd played several by then. Soul Hackers was a good mix and great story.
>>
>>4312792
Soul Hackers is the remake of the first Devil Summoner, right? I really want to try it out when I'm done with SJ
>>
>>4312797
No, it's a sequel to the original Devil Summoner.
>>
>>4312797
No it's the sequel, I've never played the first Devil Summoner but really want to. We were supposed to get SH for Saturn over here, it was one of the reasons I got one but then it never came. It was worth the wait when I played the 3ds version. Persona was cool, but I so wish we got Soul Hackers back then.
>>
>>4310886
i think MT1 came out a few months before that

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.