[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Bolder.png (237 KB, 510x331)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
Hypothetical scenario:

A mother has two young boys and is trying to get them something fun to play but can't afford the flashy new game systems. She decides a retro game system would be best, assuming it's cheap and has cheap games, and she can have the kids find any games for it in a store.

What retro system would you suggest for her? My first thought was a Sega Genesis because it and its games are ubiquitous and the system can be as cheap as 20 dollars, but what does /vr/ think?

Pic unrelated.
>>
PS3
>>
Well nothing /vr/ is cheap, but if you want an older system which you can stock up with games on a budget, then go PS2 or Wii.
>>
>>4312635
>and she can have the kids find any games for it in a store
not really going to happen, most retro game stores over-inflate prices
>>
>>4312635
A PC with all emulators installed, with USB controllers. Cheap as dirt and will give access to shitloads of games.

Either that or OG hardware with flashcarts is second cheapest.

Buying real carts will be a nightmare, as a shitload of even terrible games go for MSRP of newer games.

Best option is probably an Xbox 360 at this point since games are still really cheap.
>>
>>4312635
PS2 or Wii seem like the Best options

They're about the same price too on ebay listings. If you know how to mod it, Wii would be the best choice.

PS2 isn't the best for multiplayer, but they can always just take turns. Doesn't need batteries for the controller, either.

Or get your old laptop, and see if it has an HDMI port.
>>
>>4312635
For the option of getting actual classic hardware, Genesis and N64 are probably your best options.

N64 games don't emulate very well, and the controller is pretty unique.

If you go for genesis, AVOID THE MINI. Sega keeps licensing out their classic games to some crappy chineses hardware company and the games never work exactly right and the controls are awful. Avoid. at all costs.
>>
>>4312635
Buy the kid a 3ds and install emulators. Between that and the 3ds library they're set for years. Way better and cheaper than buying old hardware.
>>
>>4312635
Seconding laptop, if you're really on a budget.
Emulation isn't that hard to grasp for someone who's actually computer literate.
There are way too many greedy people out there who overprice real hardware.
>>
>>4312635
It's a good idea. Or better yet, just buy them one of those retro game systems with games included. I bought my nephews an AtGames Sega Genesis. I know it's not great, but it's insanely cheap & they won't touch my Sega Genesis with the games I own for it.
>>
>>4312641
>>4312698
You expect kids to know how to work emulators on a computer? LOL That is the dumbest crap I've ever heard. I would not waste money on a PC or Laptop, only to find them messing it up. Which has happened before when my nephews & nieces messed around with my brother's laptop and now it doesn't work. Don't know what they did to it, but it's not worth the hassle getting them a PC or Laptop, especially since it would cost more to buy them that, plus controllers & whatever else they needed. When I could just simply buy them a cheap retro console with games built into it.
>>
>>4312715
Kids are fast leaners. My 3 year old nephew knows how to get to Paw Patrol on Netflix from the Tablet.

Just because your family is a bunch of retards doesn't mean everyone is.
>>
>>4312635
Emulate.
>>
>>4312715
>>4312635
Oh yea. Get them some shit off aliexpress
>>
>>4312721
You're obviously full of crap. 3 year olds don't know what to do on tablets. 5 year olds can, but not frickin toddlers.
>>
>>4312715
I'm assuming they can ask relatives for unused older hardware, not the one the parent(s) use.
I've never had problems with my younger relatives fucking up my comp. Sounds more like a parenting problem.

>>4312727
Why the fuck would you let a toddler touch any electronics unsupervised, to begin with?
>>
>>4312635
No retro system with games young boys will find fun is cheap.

>>4312715
>you expect kids to know how to use a front as as complicated as xmb
Projecting pretty hard there. Most kids aren't as retarded as you and already know how to use it.
>>
>>4312635
Probably N64 if the kids are going to share. They can play Mario Parties all day.
>>
>>4312775
Bro mario party is lame af
Perfect Dark is better
>>
>>4312796
Bro I'm lame af
Killing myself is better
>>
>>4312805
Fuck you
>>
>>4312727
>>4312731
My son turned 4 in September and he can put DVD's in the PS3 and start them as well as navigate the kids section of Netflix.
>>
>>4312849
That ain't a toddler anymore, anon.
That doesn't mean your gadgets are now an adequate parental substitute, though.
>>
A Wii with emulators channel loaded in is the easiest and cheapest choice.
That said, I'm going to be the party pooper and say that the kids should study 24/7 so they don't turn lazy and have a miniscule chance at getting rich, life is only worth it if you have the money, even more so in the future.
>>
GameCube isn't retro, but it's probably going to be your cheapest option as far as non-current systems are concerned. Everything else is being gouged on the reseller market.

There's just a couple of things to remember: First-party GC games are likely still expensive, and first-party controllers are worth more than the console itself. So look into a cheap GC with a third-party controller and buy some cheap multiplats to go with it.
>>
>>4312889
>wants the kids to turn into melee autismos
You're not a good person
>>
>>4312635
Modded Wii, install Wii and GC games to usb hard drive, install VC games of good retro stuff. Or if they want something current, modded 3DS or 2DS with 32gb or higher sd card and install everything they'd be into, and VC games too.
>>
be me cant afford new console son of 6 plays modded wii with gc games vc games Mario 64 and crash bandicot on psx emulator on wii pretty proud of my boy beat mario 64 yesterday evrething very affordable and great to have a little ssb on gc with my boy
>>
>>4312635
If the Wiiu store is better than the old wii store, then that might be the way to go if you're not comfortable with modding stuff. A used one should be cheap enough. I got a wii and some shitty games for $70 and I'm broke as fug. Probably payed too much. Plus you can use nintendo cards to get games on wiiu instead of a needing a credit card like the old wii.
>>
>>4312878
This, really. I want to throw away all of my son's toys the second he learns to read and just buy him a ton of encyclopedias and textbooks.
>>
>>4312635
PS2
>>
>>4312635
Retro-Bit Generations might actually be a good option for your hypothetical scenario. Sure it's a piece of shit in eyes of everyone who knows and cares about retro games on it as in knowing how they should play and sound like but these hypothetical two young boys don't. Also keep in mind this system actually has about 100 games build-in so the hypothetical mother wouldn't need to buy anything for her hypothetical boys in a while.
>>
Chipped PSX. Free games, easy to use. With toddlers using phones nowadays I wouldn't expect them to have problems with emulators either. You can set them up that all you need is doubleclicking on a ROM, and some have rom browsers with cover art and shit.
>>
>>4312715
retroarch
>>
>>4312873
>itt
>anons who have or never will have kids giving people parenting advice.

Letting a kid watch some TV so you can get some peace and quiet from chasing them around all day is not bad parenting.
>>
>>4313479
Thanks! My hypothetical wife adores the space it saves
>>
>>4312715

What nigger? As soon everything is set up all they'll have to do is to double click the icon, go to FIle and select a rom. Or just shove the rom onto the icon, not exactly rocket science!
A laptop which can easily run 8 bit systems up to to N64 can found for 100 bucks on amazon or ebay. No carts, no mess, nothing else regarding costs.
>>
File: 1503899326638.png (61 KB, 401x401)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
>>4313594
>100 bucks
I need to pay for rent, anon. Give me something under 40 with at least 2 games.
>>
>>4314172
>>100 bucks
>I need to pay for rent, anon.

Which afrikaan cuntry do you live in? 100 bucks won't pay the rent in any english speaking country! Like an $999 iPhone X won't pay Moot's rent in New York. Fuck off.
>>
>>4314172
Try NES clones from aliexpress with 500-in-1 game cartridges (real 500 or something like that games).
>>
>>4312641
my dude ive been using emulators since i was goddamn 7. kids can easily figure it out as long as someone explains it to them
>>
>>4312635
Sega Saturn and a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga.
>>
>>4312635
Neo Geo with Last Blade
>>
Nobody said a raspberry pi? If the kids fuck up the settings it's easy to just restore everything and attract mode is easy to navigate. Just don't put a menu key on the controller, then the settings can only be changed when you plug in a keyboard.
>>
>>4312635
My kids play my PS2 all the time, and games for it are relatively cheap/easy to find unless you're looking for "Super Rare Animu Wizard Adventure VI" or some shit.
>>
>thread is getting actual advice

And they told me /vr/ was cancer.
>>
>>4312635
2 DS's or a PS2

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.