[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 70 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.

File: DNFzvFaUMAAFmG6.jpg (70 KB, 1298x860)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
We're never going to get a public rom of NES Sim City, are we? It's been a month and a half since it was "preserved" and not so much as a fucking screenshot or video.
>>
I don't know, just wanted to say Frank Cifaldi is a huge faggot and anything he touches should be avoided like the plague
>>
I hope this comes out.
>>
so some dude bought it for a massive amount of money and isn't going to dump the rom?
>>
I don't see why anyone would be so eager to play a dumbed down version of a version that itself was dumbed down from the PC.
>>
>>4445682
Well, he IS a Something Awful goon and they are known to be huge faggots that ruin everything they touch so you're right about that.
>>
File: SimCityNES.jpg (367 KB, 1024x611)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>4445779
Because snes sim city was one of my favorites and I've always been fascinated with games like Warios Woods that got released on both systems. It represents a missing link and there's so many things I'm curious about, such as how the music is rendered, what certain events look like, if there were any strange gameplay changes. I've been curious about this version for decades. Hell I had plans to get a repro of this made just because it's something I've always wanted for myself.
>>
>>4445779

it was dumbed down, but in such a way that it became quite a cozy game. thus the notoriety.
>>
File: eightiesnerd.jpg (56 KB, 584x576)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>4445659
You need to understand that we've long since reached the point where "preservation" doesn't mean what you think it means. In your world, "preservation" means someone got their hands on a cart, dumped it, and turned the resulting ROM data loose on the world. While I agree that this is a pretty good definition, it's not an accurate one anymore.

What actually happens nowadays is what I like to call "Byuu Preservation". This is where the cart gets bought (or "rented") for hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, and then dumped and "preserved" by someone who has zero fucking intention of EVER letting it out of their personal "preservation" museum. You're supposed to be happy this "preservation" happened and that someone like byuu has "preserved" this valuable piece of gaming history on your behalf.

Oh, you don't ever get a copy of it, or even a reasonable explanation as to why you can't have one, but that's okay! You should just be grateful it happened at all and stop being so entitled. Someone paid a LOT of money to horde that data. They paid even more to make sure that a private "exclusivity deal" is in place to make sure no one else can pay a gob of cash to "preserve" that data for themselves or, God forbid, publicly release the data. They keep even more money in reserve on the off chance another physical copy of this data surfaces later on. Can't risk having someone else who's NOT in our cabal ruining the whole thing. Gotta have enough scratch set back to buy his copy out, too.
>>
>>4446368
because in real world you have to deal with copyright issues and can not just spread that material everywhere with your name on it.
>>
>>4446381
Yeah, because everyone who dumps carts releases them to the public with all their personally identifying information.
>>
>>4446384
You don't get it. If he releases the cart, they know it was him because who the fuck else would it be?
>>
>>4446395
Prove it in a court of law. Actually, GET to a court of law first. Find the money/time/lawyer to drag someone through a pointless lawsuit over thirty year old obsolete game software that, at least in this particular case, was never released in the first place. It's not worth it, and it never was. This is hording for the sake of hording and/or market inflation. Nothing more.
>>
>>4445779
How was it "dumbed down" from the PC?
>>
>>4446368
and then when he dies? then what? its all lost and gone, and the efforts of preservation were lost and for nothing
>>
File: simcity.png (43 KB, 636x183)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
>>4446648
Actually, I found it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>4445659
You'll get it once you buy it and dump it.

That's all there is to it. Stop expecting free shit.
>>
>>4446681
hi byuu
>>
Agreed leaches who just want stuff without contributing nothing to video game history deserve nothing.
>>
>>4446693
>without contributing nothing
who are you agreeing with by the way?
>>
>>4446632
Yeah, that's basically everyone's whole point. It's not about preservation with these people, it's about hording. It's about being able to say that they're the "gatekeepers" of the hobby, and they have things you don't.
>>
>>4446368
How many games has this happened to?
>>
>>4446760
I'd imagine a lot. God only knows what rare as hell gems private collectors are hording. It's all about that epeen baby.
>>
File: buttfucker.jpg (83 KB, 497x735)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>4446760
Not an enormous amount or anything, but a number that's probably much larger than you think it is. I only mentioned byuu because he's one of the more notorious hoarders in the hobby, including both game dumps and the revelant materials that accompany them (boxes, manuals, etc.), but he's not even close to the only one.

You get all kinds of excuses from them, ranging from "concerns over legal action" to "maintaining the 'purity' of the dumps" and all other bullshit in between. It really all boils down to they have it and you don't, and that was the actual goal that motivated them. Not any sense of preservation or community.

Some of their cheerleaders (>>4446693 for example) will occasionally show up and parrot tired rhetoric about "people deserving nothing because they didn't contribute" or "you're just mad you couldn't do the same thing first."

Ignoring the fact that these suggestions are as nonsensical as they are disingenuous, they do little but serve as a reminder of just how petty some people can be. Not everyone, like the hoarders and their cheerleaders would like you to believe, but some people. The hoarders didn't contribute anything, either. They just managed to show up at the right place at the right time with the right amount of money. From there, they made the conscious and deliberate choice to be a hoarding dickbag. The rationale that everyone is just as bad is bullshit. If that were really the case, there wouldn't be a single damned ROM out there to begin with.
>>
>>4446759

please stop saying horde instead of hoard it's annoying
>>
>>4446779
>>4446789
>conjecture

So we got Socks the Cat Rocks the Hill. What other games are being hoarded?
>>
>>4445824
Yeah, the most notoriously shitty thing they ever did was creating 4chan
>>
>>4446000
>zoning crime
I committed a few of those while playing SC, I can tell you!
>>
>>4446627
I'm sure lots of corners were cut owing to the SNES's processing power.

I don't know about the PC version but in the SNES one you can satisfy the game's (highly unrealistic IMO) demand for a railway infrastructure by putting a single square of railway next to every important zone.

Finding that out kind of broke the game for me.
>>
>>4446914
First post on 4chan was moot saying "Hello world".
Second post was "Tripfags are ruining 4chan."
>>
>>4446983
>>4446627

http://incise.org/advanced-sim-city-strategies.html
>>
>>4446000
Buil it all yourself

Buil
>>
>>4446632
Yup. All you get is a shitty checksum.
>>
>>4446368
>wearing street shoes indoors
I thought this was a meme, but Murricans actually seem to do that.
>>
Why do we need it
>>
>>4447176
Do you mean that sometimes people don't take their shoes off when they enter a house? It's not that uncommon - I've still got mine on. Did you live in one of thouse households with strict policies on everything like that?

>street shoes
As opposed to special indoor shoes?
>>
>>4446914
Nobody's going to disagree with you there
>>
>>4447194
>special indoor shoes?

Slippers? Are you retarded?
>>
>>4447317
He is. He thinks hes a big boy for not taking his shoes off when he comes inside
>>
>>4447317
Yeah but people just say "slippers" and "shoes". Saying "indoor shoes" for "slippers" implies that people say "outdoor shoes" for... "shoes".

Are *you* retarded?

>>4447343
>He thinks hes a big boy for not taking his shoes off when he comes inside

Some people aren't brought up by neurotics who take away your allowance if their little penguin figurine isn't facing due south.

Believe me, there are many decent, civilised households out there where taking your shoes off isn't a prerequisite for entry. It's not as universal as you seem to think.
>>
>>4447317
>not taking off your shoes
You're a barbarian.
>wearing slippers
You're a bitch. Just wear socks.
>>
>>4446395
too much plausible deniability, you have to prove it with no room for error. like I always say jace hall just needs to put the blood source on a disc and "lose" it where someone else will for sure find it.
>>
>>4446693
what is someone who hoards the data to themselves contributing? byuu dies and then its lost or he holds on to it until someone pays him the right price. Now I myself support capitalism and dont think any of us are entitled to get it for free, but this idiot is going to sit on it so long people wont care anymore and he will die a sad lonely man. I understand withholding it from the public for a while can drum up a demand but the guys expectations are probably so high hes never going to release it or make a dime on it either way. If it was me I would give it away for free myself because even though I do support capitalism peoples happiness is more profitable to me than any amount of money (if ive already got everything I need of course if Im starving Ill try and get some money.)
>>
>>4447363
Why is this lazy bastard trying to act morally superior because he can't be bothered to take his shoes off.

His mother must do the vacuuming and cleaning, and she must not discipline him when he was an actual child
>>
>>4445659
I didn't even know this existed. Is this "official"?
>>
>>4447503
Quite the opposite - in fact I'd say that looking down on someone for not taking their shoes off before entering a house was much closer to that. As seen in:

>>4447343
>He thinks hes a big boy for not taking his shoes off when he comes inside

Leaving shoes on is really not that unusual and getting snobby about it just seems quaint.
>>
Can someone explain why it wasn't released when it was new?
>>
>>4447176
>>4447194
>>4447317
>>4447363
Maybe StreetShoes-kun is from a culture that has street shoes and house shoes. Among other types of shoes, my culture certainly differentiates street shoes from house shoes. For us, going barefoot indoors (or ever, really), is seen as a sign of poverty or low class. And this includes sandals/flip-flops (except for at the beach or pool).
Friends or family have you round, fine: keep your street shoes on. They're expected to have cleaned before and will certainly do so after your visit, anyway. But in your own home, you take them off and put on house shoes or you're some lowlife scumpile.
I'm trying to find English language resources for what I'm talking about but I find more information of us talking shit on foreigners for being barefoot barbarians than anyone talking about how relatively peculiar it is we never go barefoot.
Maybe this whole shoes-all-the-time thing is why so many Italians have foot fetishes.
>>
>>4447575
And I just found an article titled "Your kid wants to be barefoot at home? Here are some reasons why that might not be so bad."
Being barefoot is much maligned to Italians.
>>
>>4447125
Yeah, so wha? You go a problem?
>>
>>4447527
SNES.
>>
>>4446671
>"it's just about done!"
>one month later, still not released
what gives?
>>
File: lo1.gif (35 KB, 320x240)
35 KB
35 KB GIF
>>4446884
Read some of these and be sad for humanity.

http://www.neogeoprotos.com/puzzle.htm

Last Odyssey hurts especially bad, because I love digital pinball and I love neo geo hardware.

Also a one of a kind Mario Kart prototype with alternate music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwheUUzHZE
>>
File: makoto.jpg (172 KB, 801x520)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>4446884
Just because you don't keep up with this stuff doesn't mean it's conjecture when you hear something you don't want to. But, just as a matter of entertainment, here's some recent bullshit from everyone's favorite hoarder. Do note the usual victim complex, persecution paranoia, and deflection. Also, it's from your favorite website, so that should help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/783jle/simcity_nes_dumped/dora5gq/
>>
>>4448039
>I'd imagine
>God only knows
>probably

These phrases are the signs of solid facts and are in no way conjecture, right?
>>
>>4448058
Wrong poster, brah.
>>
>>4448039
>Makoto mad about Elena

I totally understand. Elena was better than her in every way in USFIV, but I presume she was better than Elena in 3s.
>>
>>4445682
I still remember him on a podcast going "ewwww" when the topic of cosplaying girls came up and he started calling womens breasts "gross".
He was also relegated to just reading out occasional quotes from his EGM collection instead of contributing to any gaming discussion because he hasn't played any games. And yet he's the type of cunt writing articles for gamasutra and editing other websites etc.
How the fuck did this guy manage to become a "video game historian" anyway? He just woke up one day and called himself that and now the entire industry treats him as such. Absolute. Fucking. Fraud.
>>
>>4447575
StreetShoes-kun here. The term I used was indeed a Germanism for shoes normally worn outdoors, as opposed to "house shoes", which include slippers, slides and some other types of sandals.
>>
>>4448109
If you were on the SA-fora back in the days (15+ years ago) you would get the idea of how he could rise to prominence.

They all vehemently sucked each other's dicks in FYAD until the point where dicksuckers outnumbered dicks needed to be sucked and they started networking using this dedicated fanbase of teenage rejects. They are all now in their 30's and 40's and have all come to positions of power through vaccuuming every drop of scrotum nectar they can get their lips on. Literally trillions of miles of dick has been sucked for him to get to where he is.

The industry is corrupt to the core, and none of those dicks can ever be unsucked again.
>>
the Game History Foundation seems to have scrubbed all mention of their dump and plans to release it from their Twitter, which is truly unfortunate.
>>
File: 1407533237430.gif (1000 KB, 275x275)
1000 KB
1000 KB GIF
>>4448216
You've gotta be fucking kidding me...
>>
>>4448216
>>4448767
I made this post and deleted it earlier; weird, unless someone was trying to quote me and failed? Anyway I found the mentions on Frank's twitter, so I corrected myself here: >>4446671
>>
>>4445776
According to some twitter cap that I don't have, a rom WAS dumped.
It just hasn't been made public.
>>
As far as I'm concerned, the only true preservationists are the No-Intro team over at InternetArchive.
Everyone else is just a poser.
>>
>>4448204
I want off this wild ride :(
>>
File: big boss salute.jpg (20 KB, 603x380)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>4448204

Beautiful
>>
>>4449549
No-Intro is a different kind of cancer.
>>
File: explain.jpg (10 KB, 172x250)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>4450075
>>
>>4450454
Lesser in scope than GoodTools, which also have a better naming scheme. I don't care for them not cataloging bad dumps and overdumps (though those don't even waste space with goodmerge), but ignoring translations and other major hacks is inexcusable and makes them worthless for platforms with many JRPGs. No-Intro is only good for normalfag trash.

Then there's the issue that they're piggybacking on the Internet Archive's infrastructure for stuff that indubitably doesn't fall under fair use, potentially endangering their more important preservation projects if someone sees fit to pursue charges. (this also applies to tons of other questionable uploads that lie about free licenses/PD, such as music and video).
>>
I'm sure this game has aged poorly
>>
File: yes and.jpg (13 KB, 105x182)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>4451296
>>
>>4451181
Why would you want the bad dumps?

Also, there's no reason for them to distribute the translations or hacks, since those aren't the original games.
The original games are what needs to be preserved.
>>
>>4451415
>Why would you want the bad dumps?
Learn to read, idiot.
>Also, there's no reason for them to distribute the translations or hacks, since those aren't the original games.
Or you know what, skip the learning to read part and just kill yourself.
>>
>>4451423
Not my fault you can't write an intelligible sentence.
Try using less parenthesis and pronouns.
>>
>>4447667
Because he knows if he releases it, no one's gonna care about him anymore once it's out there. Literally Anyone could then claim that they found it and played it first.
It's just an ego play, he doesn't really care about what people see...
>>
>>4445779
novelty, retro aesthetics, technically a new Nintendo game that we haven't played
>>
>>4446403
EA has plenty of those lawyers.
>>
>>4445779
Anon, this is about preservation of video game history.
>>
>>4445824
>Something Awful goon and they are known to be huge faggots that ruin everything they touch
Just wanted to chime in and say fuck everybody associated with that site. Faggots.
>>
>>4448109
>>4453069
he's been preserving and dumping unreleased games for public access since before 9/11, the dumps of Bio Force Ape, a majority of Sachen's library, Mr. Gimmick NTSC-U, Block-Out, FF2's unreleased localization, at least 3 unreleased Jaleco games, Secret Ties, I could go on really but I don't have to, his record speaks for itself
http://www.lostlevels.org/
Glad to see the retards are coming into /vr/ with their heads completely free from knowledge except for the dumb shit they hear on the CU Podcast, Frank and his people are a known quantity, when I heard the game was in his possession I breathed a sigh of relief knowing the dump would probably end up in my hands around Christmas
maybe if you spent more time researching old games instead of swallowing your own cum you would have known about him by now
If we don't see it by the end of 2018 then that might be cause to worry
>>
>>4453117
And yet we never see anyone getting dragged through the courts for releasing image dumps.
>>
>>4451423
>Learn to read, idiot.
>I don't care for them not cataloging bad dumps and overdumps
Learn to write, idiot. Seems like you meant to say you don't care ABOUT them, but you didn't. The entire meaning of your sentence changed.

>Or you know what, skip the learning to read part and just kill yourself.
Why? Dude was right. What would be the point of distributing or preserving translations, hacks, et cetera?
>>
Not sure why byuu couldn’t just conveniently “get hacked” and lose all his manual and label scans. :/
>>
>>4454137
Because he'd then conveniently lose the exclusivity of his collection, and we all know that's never going to happen. Too much ego wrapped up in having things other people don't.
>>
>>4454086
Hi Frank. We don't need your resume, just give us the rom please :^)
>>
>>4454086
holy autism
>>
>>4454243
Hidden Palace finds more prototypes and dumps them way faster than Frank's team. Without getting their egos and cringry politics involved either.
>>
>>4447598

ball gargling: the post
>>
>>4455146
You sound mad emubaby
>>
>>4453117
I doubt even EA cares about roms/emulation
>>
>>4448109
Probably because, as has been pointed out, he has obtained and dumped previously unreleased games.

>>4455039
drx is a good dude, and HP is a good concept. I sent the ROM dumped from one of my prototypes to be released by them and one of their active editors has done a good job of keeping it updated with stuff that I've had released via other sources. If you really care about preserving prototypes and the like, contribute, it isn't hard. If you don't want to obtain and dump prototypes yourself, you can always donate to people who actually do dump (and release, that is an important part, some people dump but don't release) stuff.
>>
>>4455630
Well, I have no clue how to go about finding rare shit, but I think I'll throw a few bucks their way. They do good work. I never thought anyone would see Jesse Ventura Wrestling outside of a few crappy magazine scans, but those madmen pulled it off.
>>
>>4445682

Is this the guy who got his ass beaten by Uwe Boll? Pretty funny in retrospect but SA was actually good then so I hated Boll.
>>
To provide an update, Frank's been posting a bunch of SimCity related art scans, etc, to twitter, so it looks like they're just prepping a massive article about it to be released with the dump. When someone asked if it had been dumped yet he said 'not yet'. I'll stay optimistic; but in the the other hand, I don't think this ROM is going to run on an EverDrive, from what I've gathered.
>>
>>4451181
>says he "cares" about JRPGS
>doesn't speak japanese
>has the audacity to call others normalfag trash

wew
>>
>>4455227
Post timestamped pics of your SimCity proto cart.
>>
>>4457186
Post timestamped pics of your latest reading compression exam
>>
>>4453137
No it isn't. It's already preserved within the creator's care. What it's about to you is getting your grubby mitts on it to play for yourself.
>>
>>4457492
Preservation doesn't mean a single rotting copy in the hands of a single faggot.
>>
>>4457625
>on an anime imageboard
Leave it to one of the worst tripfags on the site to forget about the origins of the place.
>>
>>4457528
It means exactly that. As long as the orginal is intact, it's being preserved.
>>
>>4457419
>reading compression
Thanks for the laugh, cocksucker.
>>
>>4451181
So they only dump the stuff that makes sense to dump. The stuff people, outside of special cases like you, want.

No one wants the faulty images dumped by some kid with a SNES floppy drive adapter. No one wants the Chinese-to-English Google Translate version of Bubsy 2.
Hosting bad dumps is not only a waste of space, it also causes other problems. The accessibility and acceptance of poor quality image dumps has irreversibly fucked the majority of older romhacks and translations, since they were based on faulty images themselves and don't always transition well to the real thing.
For cases like that, as well as autists like you, there exists the "Good" set. But nine times out of ten, people just want the game as it was intended to be. Arguing anything to the contrary is absolute idiocy.
>>
>>4446681
fuck off Byuu you dumb horder piece of crap
>>
>>4445659
Anyone else has the cart?

Just dump the shit and tell these guys to fuck off.
>>
>>4458138
I do. I'll dump it for $75,000
>>
>>4458283
Any proof?
>>
>>4445659
You aren't entitled to jack shit. Stop expecting tings for free you disgusting leech
>>
>>4458283
show screenshots
>>
>>4457419
>reading compression
>compression
lol
No, but seriously, let's see those timestamped pics. You do have a SimCity proto, right? You wouldn't just be another mad emubaby, would you?
>>
>>4458370
But you're not a collector or hoarder. You're a literal nobody who has exactly jack shit that any real collector would consider valuable. That being the case, why do you even care whether or not this dump gets released? It doesn't affect you, or your nonexistent collection, in any way.
>>
>>4460579
Because he wanted to shit post.
>>
>>4455859
That's Lowtax.
>>
>>4446368
Byuu is a huge sperglord and legitimately things he is going to get sued if dumps he made appear online.
>>
>>4460571
Don't have a proto and never claimed I did. Not a mad emubaby either. You clearly are though. Hopefully you'll grow out of it, eventually.
>>
>>4454086
I know who you are Frank. I've been familiar with your work for about a decade - good job dumping a couple of protos.
Point still stands, you're a fraud and brought nothing of value to the entire IC podcast or any of the sites you wrote for. Congratulations inventing a title for yourself and duping an industry to the extent you can live off the profit.
>>
At least on some level I can understand "preserving" physical games, systems and other things but what the fuck is the point of hoarding already dumped rom?
>>
>>4464017
To maintain the value of the physical cartridge. Just because it has been dumped doesn't mean it has been shared.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.