[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: game-genie.png (138 KB, 263x241)
138 KB
138 KB PNG
>Admitting defeat
>Find fully-completed save file
>Download and unlock all content
>Enjoy the game without the grind

Not ashamed to admit this, I just don't have the time to spend days, weeks, or even months of my life glued to games at the risk of breaking my controller in anger.

So with that said, why go through the grind or even worse accomplish 1cc runs???
>>
>>4500469
Those of us with any sense of self worth find no satisfaction in this.
>>
>>4500469
Remember, myself included, you're on a 4chan forum. Not the most social or accomplished people gather here.
>>
>>4500469
Because at that point why not just move on and enjoy other hobbies. Or play modern babby games.
>>
>>4500469
>why put the effort to git gud in a video game
Because not all activities need to correlate with personal growth and having hobbies that don't is fine.
>>
Honestly, when you reach the point where you have to cheat, you might as well either play something more casual, or take on another hobby.
Your reasoning is completely wrong, it shouldn't be "why should i grind?", but rather "why am i playing this at all?".

And i know you're insecure about this.
Because if you weren't, you wouldn't have made this thread here in the first place, looking for validation.
For someone that claims to have a life, you really need to get a life.
>>
>>4500525
This. When you feel the need to cheat in games it's because you don't or no longer enjoy engaging with game mechanics, you just want an aesthetic experience. Modern babby games deliver this better with the better graphics and 0 challenge, but also other hobbies such as watching or reading stuff. OP is just on autopilot doing something he used to do, clinging on it while he clearly doesn't enjoy it anymore.
>>
>>4500528
I disagree, I used to play Doom with cheats until I was good enough to tackle the levels without cheating. It depends on the individual.
>>
>>4500535
You used tools to make your learning experience quicker, some people savestate to practice arcade games as well.
This, however, seems different from what OP's said. He doesn't want to use the tools to learn the games, just play them like that, cheating, no "grinding" whatsoever.
>>
>>4500535
You had training wheels on and then took them off.
It's nothing like what OP is doing.
>>
>>4500545
Not him but at times it was more fun having all the wrestlers in games like No Mercy or weapons in Power stone 2 unlocked and ready to go.
>>
>>4500554
Locked content is indeed bullshit, particularly harder difficulties.
>>
>>4500554
Sure, those are party games so spending too much time getting good at them will just make your friends hate you.

OP specifically mentioned 1cc runs though
>>
>>4500503
>a 4chan forum
Astroturf elsewhere, you goony fuck.
>>
>>4500554
I never really played arena fighters but in vs fighters sitting down and unlocking every character and mechanic was something you did on night one just to break the game in.
>>
>>4500696
Still, unlocking was bullshit they included to try to artificially lengthen arcade-style releases so the typical consumers didn't feel unhappy when comparing it to the newer standard of padded long-ass JRPGs.
>>
>>4500696
Some games had bullshit requirements though. To use No Mercy for example, fuck having to save thousands of dollars to buy a literal ho as a wrestler when I can just download a save which does it for me.
>>
In my case, I like to experience the story on some particular "fake difficulty" games, and noticed that some games have artificial levels of story, as in you play with cheats and you notice the story is literally unfulfilling in every sense, so when you beat it normally you get a level of satisfaction from that "one intense scene" but you didn't notice how bland the game was.

Also, fuck some confusing ass RPG's, I ain't got all the time in the world to play all of them through, only the good and worthy ones.
>>
>>4500772
Story is there as extrinsic reward so you get more easily distracted of a game that's not intrinsically fun, indeed.
>>
>>4500696
I don't think it's possible to unlock every character in MvC2 in one sitting.
>>
>>4500469
>1cc
Enjoyment of arcade games increases with skill.
>>
>>4500839
They can also be enjoyed even if not cleared, just seeing how far you can get. Not getting mad and just enjoying the journey. I don't get people that rage as easily as OP.
>>
I see everything as categories, playing in God mode is just another category like Easy mode.
>>
>>4500858
>playing in God mode
Sure, this can help you practice. It's like infinitely continuing arcades or using save states.
>>
>>4500469
Why not just watch an LP? Also, congrats on finally finding a way to beat Altered Beast.
>>
>>4501209
He most likely does
>>
>>4501209
Who doesn't though? I can see where OP is coming from... some games cater to people who don't have as much free time due to work, school, family, etc. I think there is enjoyment in playing a game as intended but you also gotta pick which one you want to invest in at the same time. Perhaps OP is picking too many at once?
>>
>>4501545
>Who doesn't though?
Pretty sure a lot of folks here dislike LPs. I don't like them either though I don't viscerally hate them either.

>some games cater to people who don't have as much free time
Then why don't pick a game that is instead of cheating and have 0 challenge instead of at least a little lol
>>
>>4501545
I sure don't. Shit is pure cancer.
>>
>>4501676
HELLO, INTERNET. HEY GUISE. WOWOWOWOWWO SCREAAAAMING FART JOKES RANDOM PODCAST.
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (30 KB, 640x480)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>4501731
don't mind me, just wearing this low-cut top while streaming
>>
>>4501739
V I D E O
G A M E S
Indeed
>>
>>4500469
I mainly use the Game Genie on bad games that either had bad controls or it's impossible to beat like Wolverine Adamantium Rage or Batman Forever. There is no shame in using the Game Genie.
>>
>>4501760
Why play bad games in the first place wtf
>>
>>4501765
Because there's cool stuff to be found in bad games.
>>
>>4501784
There are many good games to play so this is hard to understand to me but I guess I get you.
>>
>>4501796
this guy is underage
>>
>>4501784
>being this poor to only get bad games
>>
>>4501915
But poorfags have emulation at their disposal, which has easier cheating lol

>>4501890
So saying there are many good games out there is being underage now? lol I'll rephrase: there are many good RETRO games out there.
>>
>>4500503
>a 4chan forum
does no one bully newfags anymore
>>
>>4501796
I still play good games. I just own bad games too just for the hell of it and for the reason I mentioned earlier about cool stuff to be found in bad games.

>>4501915
>buying bad games
>poor
Pick one.

Poorfags only emulate. They don't buy physical copies of games.
>>
>>4500469
Find a hobby you’re willing to dedicate time to, you don’t actually like games.
>>
>>4502243
Poorfags are notorious for raiding picked over thrift shops and buying whatever cheap shit is left over. You'll occasionally see it in the "post your collection" shitthreads where the kids "collection" is 10 sports games 2 of which are dupes.
>>
>>4502420
Pretty much this, to be honest
>>
>>4502929
Not everyone buys their games at a "thrift shop", they barely have anything good there anyways. I buy my retro games elsewhere, such as retro gaming shops, amazon, etsy or ebay. I had recently bought a white Japanese Sega Saturn on eBay for $100(plus $14 for shipping).
>>
>>4502979
Video games on etsy? Or did you mean to say you bought some plush or set of earrings from etsy bases off of a video game?
>>
>>4503021
They sell reproduction cartridges of retro games on Etsy.
>>
>>4503021
I also wanted to add on my post here ---> >>4503151 ...that I only buy the reproduction copies of games that are way too pricey on ebay. Since I refuse to buy a copy of MUSHA for $500.
>>
>>4502979
Wasn't accusing you of anything sport you don't to explain yourself to me.
I recently bought a jap saturn for ¥500. Gave it to a friend because having ten saturns would just be hoarding. But no way I was gonna leave it there for some reseller to pick up and sell to some sucker for $100.
>>
>>4503469
Considering the fact that the other white Sega Saturns was yellowing, even though it was cheaper, I took the plunge to buy a nice looking white one.
>>
>>4504207
Id only get a saturn if that flashcart ever gets released.
>>
>>4504385
I'm not too worried about flashcarts, but if there was ever one released for it, I'm glad I prepared ahead of time by owning a Saturn.
>>
>>4504385
What flashcart is that? How is it different than any of the others? Why wait so long instead of enjoying playing on a saturn for the last 20+ years? You'd do much better with an ODE.
>>
>>4500469
With that being said, why not try different hobbies. Gardening, knitting, reading, learning an instrument...
>>
>>4505308
Changing your habits is hard for a lot of people, I guess.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.