[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: main-splash.jpg (219 KB, 1031x568)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
So apparently Wizardry got a bunch of Japan only releases.
any of you who knows moon try out any of those? there seem to be a decent number of them translated, like the empire games on the GB and the alternative version of IV on the SFC, but a lot of them remain in the dark, perhaps never to be seen by non jap speakers
>>
>>4500474
What exactly do you want anyone to say? I've played most, if not all, of the Wizardry releases for both NA and JP over the years starting with the original as a kid back in the eighties. If it helps, the things that tend to get translated tend to be the things actually worth playing, so don't feel like you're missing out on some big cache of Wizardry gold.
>>
>>4500474
>the alternative version of IV on the SFC
it's from an entirely different series of spin-offs. it's really good, too.
>>
File: zombie-animated.gif (120 KB, 500x650)
120 KB
120 KB GIF
>>4500474
They're pretty bloody lazy games. I have a demo of a Playstation 3 Jap Wizardry games and it does not even have animated monsters, something that certain better games have had since 1987.

Get this around your head, a PS3 game is graphically inferior to a Sega Master System game. That's beyond lazy.
>>
>>4500474
Wizardry 1-5 are all on PC Engine CD
>>
>>4500474
Labyrinth of Lost Souls got an English translation. It's quite enjoyable to me, though I've only played Wizardry 8 other than that one.
>>
my cock is soo fuckin hard
>>
Do the console ports make these games more accessible? I remember trying VI and bouncing off it pretty hard. I think I have more tolerance for older games now but I also tend to like playing on consoles more.
>>
>>4500923
i think they were trying for that "old school" appeal. wizardry is inherently traditionalist since it predates all video rpgs except i think Ultima
>>
File: deg5.jpg (80 KB, 429x466)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
Dir en grey made some music for one of the recent Wizardry games
>>
>>4500474
I'm not a fan of them because Japan really really loves classic Wizardry instead of Wiz 6, 7, or 8 and all of them were based off of classic Wizardry instead of 6-8.
>>
>>4501014
VI SNES is really really good, easily the best version of the game if you want to play the game for its own sake instead of savegame carryovers.
>>
The biggest mystery are the old mobile phone titles. It's possible that they are lost for good because nobody made a backup.
There's also a number of fan made Wizardry clones.
>and the alternative version of IV on the SFC
The alternative versions of IV are on PS1 and SFC and they aren't translated.
Gaiden 4 is just the 4th Gaiden game.

>>4500923
Bard's Tale had animated monsters in 1985.
>>
>>4500975
it's a shame the sequel didn't get brought over.
>>4501095
they've always had a massive hard-on for the originals since they basically shaped how they viewed rpg's over there.
anyways, there are a bunch of wizardry style rpg's in general on almost everything.

the vita has a bunch right now.
>>
>>4501179
any good clones out there? elminage and sword city look nice
>>
>>4501342
eliminage is pretty good even though it has some translation issues, sword city is also good, i think you can get both on pc though if you want to try them out.
on vita there's also operation abyss(which is a remake of generation XTH which is translated and free) and it's sequel, demon gaze 1&2, and dungeon travelers
sword city, demon gaze, and abyss are made by the same people, and they have a habit of just using the same mechanics with a different setting, and that can grate on people since it feels like they don't innovate too much.
>>
>>4502154
if you have a psp, there's class of heroes, which is your usual wizardry in a school setting, it's not bad, but i know some people hate the weeb art.
the second one tries to break away from the usual wizardry stuff a bit, and i can't really say if it's better or not for it.
>>
>>4501342
Elminage is pretty much Wizardry with the serial numbers filed off. Original and Gothic are on steam, the rest are in Japanese.
>>
>>4502214
is gothic just a remake or original or is it a different game?
>>
>>4502265
Different games
>>
>>4502214
That's Netherdomain which were Gaiden 1 and 2 without the Wizardry name.
https://www28.atwiki.jp/nether/
>>
>>4502197
>the weeb art
Unfortunately, that's kind of a thing in the Wizardry genre these days, and it's only gotten worse since the PSP days. Shrinking audience and devs who'll cram their games full of loli-shit if they think it'll boost sales.

and half of them still do the fucking bonus point chargen thing.

Class of Heroes isn't paedoweeb at least, and I'm having fun with it. Alternating it with Wizardry Gaiden 1 on a nice chunky original gameboy.
>>
>>4501062
Which Final Fantasy is this?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.