[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: Fallout2front.jpg (258 KB, 800x832)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
I just played through Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 for the first time. What does /vr/ think about these games?

I will admit that the turn-based combat and the somewhat clunky controls took some getting used to, but I was definitely enjoying the combat by the end of the first game. I feel like I had always heard that people preferred the first game to the second, but having just played them for the first time, I think that the second game is far superior to the first ... although The Master was a more compelling final boss than the Enclave President and Frank Horrigan from FO2. The first game is just too bare-bones to compare to the second game; you can tell that re-using the engine and a lot of the visuals really allowed them to expand and make the second game much larger than the first.

By far my biggest gripe with BOTH games, however, is the painfully stupid AI for the companions. This is especially problematic in the first game, and while they tried to at least add "Combat Controls" for your companions in FO2, I really don't feel like it helped much. The companion system in general feels a little strange because they are so strong in the beginning of the game, to the point where it feels like they carry you through early game combat. By the end of the game, however, it becomes a chore just to keep them from getting one-shot in battles. You go from completely relying on your companions in the beginning to desperately trying to save them by the end. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to strategically funnel your opponents through a doorway, only to have Vic or Sulik charge headfirst into the next room all by themselves.

They're good games, though, and I'm glad that it looks like FO2 lets you explore when you finish the game. Is there anything worth doing in FO2 now that I've finished the main quest? Anything I should make a point to go and do now? What kind of characters did you guys run?
>>
>>4508054
Did you do the Sierra Army Depot in Fallout 2?
>>
>>4508054
>What kind of characters did you guys run?
Jynxed/Melee/Retard
use the character editor to give yourself Slayer perk or the game's basically uncompletable
>>
If a companion dies then he dies. As long as you live, keep on going. RPGs are more fun when you don't load on every fuckup.
>>
>>4508202
I can't live with their blood on my hands
>>
>>4508054
this looks like ps1
>>
>>4508159
Yeah, I did it after I got the quest to explore it from the Wright family. I also rebuilt the robobrain companion there, but I never used him.

>>4508202
I would have liked to have done something like this, but the companion AI is just too bad. Most of the late-game combat already feels like an exercise in doing your best to keep your companions from killing themselves.
>>
>>4508054
>although The Master was a more compelling final boss than the Enclave President and Frank Horrigan from FO2
While I think 2 is most definitely the better game, this is literally the reason why I like 1 more.
>>
>>4508315
>I would have liked to have done something like this, but the companion AI is just too bad. Most of the late-game combat already feels like an exercise in doing your best to keep your companions from killing themselves.
Durr, then just do it.
>>
>>4508054
Tbh, I never really liked the first Fallout. I played a bit of it, got really bored upon going through Junktown quests and simply dropped it. Week later I was at my friend's place and he showed me Fallout 2, so when I rolled my eyes he said "K, just sit and watch". One hour later he was already burning a copy for me and I was hooked.
I eventually did come back to F1, but find it extremely limited and clunky when compared to the game build on exact same engine, but released a year later.

>is the painfully stupid AI for the companion
F2 companions are entire leagues ahead of the stupid shit the ones from F1 do, but then again, F1 companions were literally an experiment to see if it's even possible to write an NPC in the existing engine, so they didn't really put much effort into them.
Also, you know that companions in F2 level up and get much, much, MUCH more competent... right?

>Is there anything worth doing in FO2 now that I've finished the main quest
Finish whatever quests you've left hanging and there is also a handful of easter eggs.
>>
File: fallout_master.jpg (63 KB, 640x480)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>4508054
I always just collected the companions and stored them together in a town. Used pre-car Sulik as a mule.
>>
>>4508054
>The companion system in general feels a little strange because they are so strong in the beginning of the game, to the point where it feels like they carry you through early game combat. By the end of the game, however, it becomes a chore just to keep them from getting one-shot in battles.
In FO2, they have levels, too, gaining a pretty substantial gains in skills and stats, making already great companions (Sulik, Casidy, K-9) even stronger or turning bumbling fools (Vic) into fucking Terminators. Forget meme NPCs like Marcus (unless you play with Restoration Project, that is), the four listed are the best to hang with, since they combine fun "personality" with high combat effectivness.
But you must level them up to get the full experience, since straight out of the box, maybe only Cassidy is still useful by late game. Sulik also kinda-sorta suffers from lack of proper weapon around mid-game, at least for melee, but he should be leveled high enough to be proficient with SMGs at that point, so go figure.
>>
What's with this "all turn based" "all old games controls" are clunky meme that has been going around?
>>
>>4508684
I love these games but the interface could be much better. Just look at all the ways how FO2 improves FO1.
>>
>>4508716
i got fallout 1 for free in steam i think it was an aniversary or something
i want to play it but the controls really put me off, walking running and even opening doors is so fucking annoying in this game isnt there any mod that let me use w/a/s/d and keys to interact with objects
>>
>>4509590
What the fuck? It's an isometric RPG that primarly uses the mouse. Why the fuck would you need WASD?
>>
>>4508684
/v/tard meme that gets pushed here when kids are out of school on summer / winter holiday
>>
>>4508202
i can't just leave all that loot that I keep with them since I use them as my pack rats. If it weren't for that, I'd leave them to rot
>>
>>4508054
I love Fallout 1 more since while it's shorter, everything just works storywise. Every NPC is there for a reason and the plot is intense and engaging as fuck. Every town and location is memorable.
Fallout 2 has too much le random humor and pop culture references, also most of the new locations are just kind of forgettable imo except New Reno
>>
And the award for the most /v/ post of the year so far on /vr/ goes to >>4509590
>>
>>4509813
I don't care about the humor I love both games so much, but I agree I just think 1 is the tighter experience and flows a bit better. There are too many giant towns j. 2 where you're backtracking all over the town trying to find one random npc. Fallout 1 starts you off in the wilderness then in a small sleepy town in the wilds, then a small sheriff town, and from there it ramps up so that by the time you get to a big city with a hundred things to do, many of those things already have meaning to you. In 2 you start out right away going to a big town with ten different things to do and none of it is meaningful yet because you don't have any background on anything yet. For that I just think 1 is the better experience with the better final boss, but they're both great either way they are more or less the same game on different maps with some slight changes.

>>4509818
This
>>
>>4509765
It works really well, but it seems pretty rare. All that comes to mind is crusader.
>>
>>4508684
They aren't clunky, but Fallout 1 taking turns and going in and out of combat slows the game down.
>>
OP here again

>>4508546
>I always just collected the companions and stored them together in a town. Used pre-car Sulik as a mule.
Yep, I can relate to this. I didn't get the car as early as I could have, so I often found myself bringing my companions along just so they could be "pack mules" and carry the equipment that I would find on quests. When it came time for combat, however, I would tell them to somewhere safe and out of the way until I could clear the room of enemies.

I also ended up having to replay the entire Enclave section because I didn't just leave my companions in San Francisco.This was my first playthrough and I didn't know what to expect from the oil rig, but it felt like a "point of no return," so I decided to bring my three main guys (Sulik, Cassidy, and Vic) along with me to the oil rig just in case (even though I knew they wouldn't be helpful for any combat purposes). Because I wasn't using them for combat, I decided to just leave them in (what I thought to be) the safety of the very first room (where you end up having to fight Frank). During the final fight, no matter how many times I would reload and try it a different way, there was no way I could keep all of my guys from getting one-shot by the turrets in the room. Ended up having to replay the entire Enclave section, leaving my guys at a safer spot away from the turrets. Again, they were only there to be pack mules and didn't "help" with the combat at all

>>4508552
>In FO2, they have levels, too, gaining a pretty substantial gains in skills and stats
I did notice this. It really bothered me that the FO1 companions couldn't level up, and you couldn't even equip them with armor. Tycho and Ian getting consistently one-shot by super mutants at the end of FO1 is what taught me the value of leaving my companion's out of end-game combat. I'm glad the FO2 companions can level up somewhat and equip armor.

(1/2)
>>
(2/2)

>>4508684
I'm not meme'ing, friend. At least as far as Fallout 1 and 2 are concerned, there are definitely some clunky aspects:

>Inventory system in general - Only shows 5-6 items at a time and you have to slowly click to scroll through items one at a time; carry weight is, generally, pretty low, leading to a lot of shifting of inventory between you, your companions, and your eventual car, then doing it again when it's time to sell; often having to cycle to the bottom of your inventory to find cash; keycards
>I hope you like the holster and un-holster animation, because you're going to see it every time you open a door or loot a container if you have anything in your hands
>Anything related to companion control is done through slow dialog trees, along with that slow transition effect from one dialog menu to another (managing companion inventory, combat controls, telling them to holster/change their weapons/armor). And even then, as has already been extensively covered in this thread, the companion AI combat is not the greatest or most precise
>Right clicking to cycle "cursor styles" takes some getting used to
>The hexagonal floor tiles can be finicky in situations where you need to be EXACTLY next to someone/something
>Navigation in general - The character pathing can be finicky; NPCs will VERY frequently block your path, trap you, or stand right in the middle of a doorway (FO2 gave you the ability to "push" NPCs, but even this is slow as it only moves one person one hex at a time. FO1 didn't even have this); if you click too far away from your character when telling them to move, they won't respond at all; the overworld map is poorly optimized and chugs along, even on modern PCs
>Slow animations (entering/exiting combat comes to mind)
>Bugs

... etc. Someone else can feel free to add if they want. Trust me, it's not just because the game is "turn based" and "old"... the games are great, but they have clunky aspects
>>
File: 1509536122969.png (476 KB, 634x642)
476 KB
476 KB PNG
>>4508202
This, in one of my playthroughs dogmeat was killed by a super mutant during a random encounter, instead of reloading my safe file I just went to the Super Mutant Army base and destroyed it as revenge for killing Dogmeat.
>>
>>4510967
Watching matn do his no ironman fo nv runs gave me a real appreciation for planning and not save scumming
. Makes all games a lot better.
>>
>>4509813
I remember this to be the main complaint and I kind of see the point. F2 is too tongue-in-cheek, it's hard to suspend your disbelief with Elton John and Monty Python everywhere.
>>
I wonder how that MMORPG idea would have gone if Interplay hadn't gone broke.
>>
>>4510967
I lost Dogmeat in the encounter at the Hub, saving that BoS fella, he just got slaughtered by the combat shotgun dude. Oh well, at least his death wasn't in vain since it let me access power armor, and holy fuck I'd do it again, you basically become invincible if you're stocked un stims and don't die from an unlucky critical shot that bypasses your armor. Get it upgraded in boneyard, and get a turbo plasma rifle and I was soloing Deathclaws by myself dealing critical damage 100hp damage like it was no big deal
>>
Which characters should have been talking heads with actual voice acting?

My vote goes to Mrs. Bishop
>>
>>4512929
Dr. Morbid
>>
>>4512929
All the companions.
>>
>>4512929
renesco
>>
>>4513096
This would have been nice.

When I first saw that Sulik was a talking head, and heard all of his early game dialog about setting out with the Chosen One to find his sister, I thought it would be an actual quest that you could complete. I was really disappointed to find out that they cut that quest.
>>
>>4513253
that would be great.
>>
>>4513295
>I was really disappointed to find out that they cut that quest
At least it's brought back in Restoration Project.

"We be needing to have a talk with the herb-superb. Let the world float by-and-by."
>>
just finished F1, and holy fuck, was the Military Base frustrating as fuck with those force fields and mutants wielding Rocket Launchers
>>
>>4509813
>>4511239
Did you stupid shits play FO1 when drunk or asleep? There is the exact same amount of references, jokes and pop-culture stuff in it. Why the fuck /v/tards keep pushing the meme about "le lolsrandom FO2", when it has the exact same style and humour as the original?
>>
>>4510770
You can order them to wait in the main hall of Oil Rig, infiltrating it all by yourself.
Or you can bring them inside and wipe out every single motherfucking Enclave soldier that is on your way, but don't expect getting entire experience of visiting the place by killing people you could talk with.
>>
>>4512929
One-shot must have?
Vic
No, seriously.

And if I could pick whoever the fuck I want and money wasn't the limit after all, FO1 had twice as many talking heads and was half that big as a game, plus it didn't cheat with having same bobbing head of an Enclave soldier as "talking head" used three times?
All the companions, obviously
Metzger
Dr. Troy & Councilman McClure
Leaders of each family in New Reno
Dragon & Lo Pan
Gruthar
>>
>>4513253
Adding Eldridge I guess
And Father Tully
>>
>>4513797
>You can order them to wait in the main hall of Oil Rig, infiltrating it all by yourself.
You mean the main hall where you fight Horrigan? Do you need to put the companions near the top exit or something, to stop Horrigan from slaugthering them when you return for the final showdown? Or he only react to the player's character entering the main hall?
Funny, I've always just soloed the Oil Rig, despite playing FO2 countless times.

Well, at least there's one place you shouldn't leave your followers on the Oil Rig, and that's the Oil Rig Dock screen.
>>
File: 1497315965762.png (169 KB, 500x524)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
Whoever thought Marcus having normal Super Mutant walking speed was ok should have their shit slapped.
>>
I could not enjoy Fallout 1/2. Same thing with 3 and NV. Maybe it's just not for me, although I was excited by the idea of post-apocalyptic open-world RPG and tried really hard to enjoy them.
I read everybody raving about them on the Internet.
I played through them, and it wasn't an awful experience, but I was more going through the motions than enjoying myself.
Both 1 and 2 just have a handful of cities, which maybe have minor satellite locations. I went from city to city just talking to everybody, doing the quests and maybe getting into combat sometimes. Then that's it. The end. Game over.
I think I expected about ten times the content-
ten times as many cities, NPCs, items, quests, factions. Also, I would have liked more and more meaningful combat rather than the rare random encounters which are easy to escape.
More RP-elements like being able to have homes or join different factions.
The only time I was genuinely excited was finding the water chip. I really liked that about the game- if you know where it is, you could go for it immediately, and skip everything. But they made a game out of finding information, and the clues weren't clear and promising, so I had a moment of disbelief and a little euphoria when I finally got it- a real sense of accomplishment.
>>
>>4513797
>You can order them to wait in the main hall of Oil Rig, infiltrating it all by yourself.

That's what I did. It was my first time through the game, and although I didn't know what to expect from the oil rig, I brought my companions along in case I needed help carrying loot. I had no intention of using them for combat at that point, and so I decided to leave them in first room that you come to after you leave the dock.

Because it was my first playthrough, however, I had no idea that I would have to come back and fight the final boss in that room. No matter how many times I tried to reload and save them, my companions got gunned down in that fight every time. Either Frank or the turrets would one-shot them because I left them in that room. Eventually I decided to just reload an earlier save from when I first arrived at the oil rig, and I left them in a safer part of that first room

>>4513852
>Do you need to put the companions near the top exit or something,
Yes, that's what I ended up doing. After I reloaded an earlier save, I left them in that same room, but near the top, right exit. Sulik still tried to rush the boss, but we killed him before Sulik got close.

>>4513904
Whoever thought Marcus should friendly fire 85% of the time with his minigun should have their shit slapped.
>>
>>4508202
First playthrough I lost Sulik and Vic in two seperate random encounters while travelling from Vault City to Reno. Made me feel like shit but it also made Marcus joining me sometime later one of the highlights of my playthrough. Definitely don't reload after companion deaths, it adds so much to the experience.
>>
I've been thinking about replaying FO1/2 and choosing something other than "Small Guns" for my combat. What would you guys recommend?

I used to have fun doing unarmed/melee runs in FO3/NV, but I'm not sure how well that would work with the turn-based and grid systems in FO1/2. Having to burn action points to chase enemies down and position yourself on an adjacent hex seems like it will get old after a while. What do you guys think? Is it worth a shot or should I just do a run with Big Guns instead?
>>
>>4514848
Melee in FO1 and Unarmed for FO2 work fairly well.
You can also throw in energy or big weapons since those only become viable in the later stages.
Only thrown is practically useless.
>>
>>4509803
>>4508202

Using them as pack mules was a great way to carry so much more. Only reason why I kept them around.
>>
>>4514848
>>4514857
when they recently released fallout for free on steam, I tried an unarmed build using the powerfist and fast shot

it does get old really quick, and you're basically unstoppable
>>
>>4508054

I loved the first game but something about the second game never clicked for me, despite me liking most of it.

Over time, the Master has become one of my favorite antagonists in any story. I might be remembering wrong, but while I won't say he was sympathetic, I liked that he had an honest desire to do what he thought was best and when he realized that all the horror he had done was pointless, he just ends it all and lets you go.

The Enclave were too cartoonish in their evil in comparison
>>
File: 1459845331426.jpg (183 KB, 480x1095)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>4510770
I really wish they would keep these kinds of mechanics in mind when designing modern RPS. Its fun and plausible to have a squad in the wastelands to manage but the inclusion of multiple followers in FO2 almost feels like an afterthought by the way its handled. I hate to say it but follower management is a colossal pain and at times can be unclear if how you are program them will have any impact on how they actually behave.

hopefully WL3 will address these shortcomings and reintroduce the chevy so your followers arent just pack mules along for the ride
>>
>>4515103
*TBRPG
>>
>>4515103
There really isn't much of a reason to not have one big inventory that everyone gets to use.

Maybe battle/heal items or something need to be equipped on individual characters, but outside of battle/threats just waiting for someone to walk over and share an item is shitty gameplay.

>tfw you realize 90% of your time is taken up by what amounts to shitty gameplay, in all editions.
>>
>>4513852
Put them next to the stairway. You will be coming back that way anyway, so you can pick them and Granite and turn Horrigan into minced meat.
I never really understood the whole "Jesus Christ, he's so powerful" shit going - Horrigan never lasted more than two turns in any of my playthroughs.
>>
>>4517240
It's tougher if you don't reprogram the turrets.
>>
>>4513932
I think it's all about perspective. I guess you didn't play them when they came out or near that time, right?
Because back in the day, both games, but especially FO2, were fucking huge. As in - holy shit, how I'm even going to get through this. Especially when playing it blind, as the game flat-out stops giving you clues at certain point and you have to figure out the rest on your own.
My first time with FO2 took me over a month. And I was in high school back then, so I had a fuckload of free time and actual incentive to play. Loved every single minute out of it, but I think Toxic Caves was what made the really strong impression on me back then.
Today it's just a small cave/basement with handful of geckos, but back then I actually felt great about saving Smiley and the fact he made the return trip easier.
>>
>>4514806
I wonder how the hell people even manage to get any of the companions killed. The only way I can think about it is Marcus pulling friendly fire. Companions are always stronger than the shit in the area they come from, sans maybe Vic (but he still has fuckload of HP in relation with everyone and everything around, just a matter of crappy starting Small Arms skill)
>>
>>4514848
Unarmed works really, really, REALLY well in FO2, especially if you know how to use it properly and how to gain few bits of extra points toward it. The best part is you don't even need it tagged and still be good at it around 100-110 mark
>>
>>4515103
>I hate to say it but follower management is a colossal pain and at times can be unclear if how you are program them will have any impact on how they actually behave.
Are you talking about FO1 or 2? Because they are super-controllable in 2 and the only thing that is really weird is their inability to use remaining AP if they kill someone in their move. Guess that's just the engine limitation or something.
FO1 companions, however... No, seriously, I had full crew in FO1 only once. On my firsth playthrough. Then I only picked Ian early on and usually got rid of him somewhere around Junktown or Hub if I skipped Junktown.
>>
>>4517243
Turrets, due to distance, placement and what not deal less than 200 damage in their turn, assuming they also land their hits (considering Horrigan's Armor Class, it's not that easy given the on-turret skill check). You can turn him into shreds without turrets. Just bring in 3 or 4 companions and you can even ignore Granite too and Frank is dead somewhere in turn 2.
This, however, assumes you know companions gain levels, rather than dragging a bunch of rookies with yourself.
>>
Huh. I know the companions in FO are basically useless, but I remember Sulik & Cassidy being pretty solid companions in FO2. You can get them power armor too.

I guess Sulik can be kind of suicidal though, at least when he's not murdering you by running behind you and emptying his SMG to your back. Either way, something is going to die when you set him to rush the enemies with always burst on.
>>
>>4517259
The problem is that the turrets will fire on you instead.
>>
>>4517251
>you don't even need it tagged and still be good at it around 100-110 mark
You're equally good at any skilled tagged or untagged if the numerical value is the same. Tagging a skill just lets you buy 2 ranks for 1 point, that's it.
>>
>>4517248
>I wonder how the hell people even manage to get any of the companions killed

The companions start off really strong in the early-mid game when you first recruit them, but they all fall off pretty horribly at the end.

>>4517240
>I never really understood the whole "Jesus Christ, he's so powerful" shit going - Horrigan never lasted more than two turns in any of my playthroughs.

Yeah, sure, whatever you say, bro. ur so good

He's got 999HP, 45 AC, and 20/70% damage resistance. I'm not saying that the fight with Horrigan is necessarily difficult, but at the very least he is a tanky guy, and it's going to take at least a few rounds to chew through all of that AP. Yes, I'm sure you can over-farm or build your squad for the specific purpose of taking Frank out in 1-2 rounds, but that's not going to happen on most runs (especially if you don't use the turrets as you suggest in your other post). Again, I'm not saying that the fight is especially difficult, but Frank is a tank and there's no way you consistently kill him in 1-2 rounds with no turrets, without over-farming or building your squad around that specific purpose.
>>
Are there games similar to Fallout and Fallout 2?
>>
>>4517731
If you have more and better criticals, and hit him in the eyes with a +crit weapon like a sniper rifle, (no others come to mind) then its not that hard to get an insant kill.
>>
I am a bit of a packrat, and since I also feel the need to keep all quest and unique items, I have completely filled up my car.

Do random containers save all of the inventory that you put into them? If I find a bunch of lockers in a safe area (say, for example, the Brotherhood of Steel bunker in San Francisco) and start using them to store my items, will the game save them or will the lockers get cleared out when I leave? I'm pretty sure I used to be able to do that in FO3 and NV, but I'm not sure if that works in the older games
>>
>>4508054
>what does /vr/ think about this iconic series that's been discussed a million times here
Lurk more.
>>
>>4517969
Yes. I tend to use the doctor's lockers and desk in SF.
>>
>>4512929
Surely you mean Bishop's slut of a daughter.
>>
>>4513932
Fallput 3 eased me out of my depression. I could completely empty my mind like never before. What made it so enjoyable for me was the sense of freedom: there are many, many ways any given problem can be solved. Only later did I play FO 1/2 and discover that things were essentially the same back then.

Alas, is the companion system shit. I mean, not really, but the number of times I have accidentally killed my companions, or they have killed each other while aiming at something different is staggering.
>>
>play Fallout 2 for the first time
>install RP
>very difficult but whatever, get to the Vault City, having fun
>need to travel South
>as soon as I exit VC, I get spammed with random encounters
>most of them are "you're ambushed by bandits with Assault Rifles who kill you on the first turn before you can escape" kind
>google it cause maybe it's a bug since I'm getting them literally every 2 squares now.
>it's a fucking feature of the mod because they fucked up the random encounter mechanic
>try to edit it
>now my game crashes
>uninstall the mod and lose all my progress
goddamn it
>>
>>4518657
>there are many, many ways any given problem can be solved
you're kidding right?
>>
>>4519020
>using RP on your first playthrough
You should know modding a game with extra shit on a first playthrough is a no-no.
>>
>>4519020
>not reading the documentation and editing settings before starting the game
>not making backups of save files when uninstalling
>>
File: fallout tactics.jpg (58 KB, 630x754)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
I know it came out in 2001, so it's slightly not retro, but what do you guys think about Fallout Tactics?

I just played the first mission for the first time and... I wasn't exactly thrilled. I'm playing in real time combat mode, and it's very cumbersome trying to control everyone without the usual RTS controls (number keys for control groups, tab to select through your selected units, etc.)

Is it worth a playthrough? Should I use real time combat or turn based? What skills/stats should I be leveling up?
>>
>>4520063
Only fun in 5-6 player deathmatch. No, not even fun with 2-3 players, the maps are too big for that. If you can't convince at least 4 other players to play with you, don't bother.
>>
>>4520065
Damn... I mean, I was just going to play through the single player mode for the story. I wasn't even thinking about the multiplayer since I doubt I would be able to convince any of my friends to pick up such an old game
>>
>>4520063
Turn based ends up too easy and overwatch and groups ambushes don't work as well
>>
>>4520082
If you didn't have fun on the first mission, it never changes substantially. I have never been able to get through that game.

Had a few sick LAN party battles in it that made picking the game up totally worth it, but the single player bored me to death.
>>
>>4520085
So turn based is better than real time?
>>
>>4519020
>play Fallout 2 for the first time
>install RP
Found your issue. That shit is horrible and killap is a fag who thinks tons of features and design are bugs to be fixed.
>Obviously the Chosen One wasn't meant to beat the game only using melee!! FIXED
>Hmm, these XP awards don't let you level fast enough!! FIXED
>Travel speed is far too fast, how could the Chosen One get from Arroyo to Klamath in less than two weeks?! FIXED
>Why should the results of skill checks be random, clearly they meant them to be thresholds instead of rolls!! FIXED
>I found some references to dummied areas that are only 5% complete, I can write the remaining 95% myself because I'm a design god with excelent grammer skills!! FIXED
>Why does everyone in Modoc get upset when you blow up their outhouse and coat half the town in shit? You were just trying to find that guy's watch as a favour, they should be happy!! FIXED
>>
>>4520098
Real time is more fun imo.
I think the game does get a little better when guns get better and you can have a full team of reasonably skilled characters.

It's not an RPG and not really fallout. It's jagged alliance, but not really as good at it's core mechanic.
>>
>>4520106
>Implying this fucking hard
>Making shit up even harder
Not the anon you are replying to, but I do love all the ending titles bugs fixed thanks to RP. I also like the option to save Sulik's sister. Or the fact random encounters are roughtly 10 times more often, so both your Outsdoorman is important to avoid that shit, but travelling is much more interesting than just watching a pointer moving over the map.
>>
>>4520063
>I just played the first mission for the first time and... I wasn't exactly thrilled
First... two missions are utter shit and pretty much "casual filter", as the kids like to call it those days. Think Temple of Trials type of deal, only longer and actually annoying rather than just meh.
The game doesn't start for real until your entire squad gets armed with AKs and then it's absolutely great, really living up to the "Tactics" subtitle. Just remember it's more of a tactical shooter than an RPG.

Also, unless you really, really know what you are doing, turn-based combat is superior.

>Is it worth a playthrough?
Definitely. Just slog through first two missions and you are going to be fine.
>Should I use real time combat or turn based?
When in doubt - turn based. Once enemies will start using explosives and similar, real-time combat gets so fucking hectic it's hard to keep up track of what's doing, especially if you split your squad.
>What skills/stats should I be leveling up?
Really depends on what you want to play and how you feel about it. It's perfectly viable to play it like first two FOs (so Small Guns and two support skills), make Riddick (so Melee, Sneak, Unarmed or just hire the real guy from special encounter, one of the best recruits out there), get Pilot, Repair and whatever you feel like a combat skill to those and just perform drive-bys... Heck, the game makes Throwing a viable skill (and very fucking important when dealing with entrenched enemies).
So you can pick whatever skills you find most fun for yourself. Pro-tip - it's no longer FO1 or 2, where Small Guns was the "win all" combat skill.
>>
>>4520473
>ending titles bugs fixed thanks to RP
Or officiald patch 1.02, whatevs.
>10 times random encounters
That's clearly what developers intended, sure. I mean they had two chances to implement it but I guess they forgot.
>Outsdoorman is important to avoid that shit
I forgot how the base game de-emphasized outdoorsman's ability to avoid encounters. I mean they only that in the manual and in the skill description but hey, having 100 outdoorsman turning every encounter optional in RP sure takes all the randomness out of random encounters as developers must have intended.
>Saving Sulik's sister
Could have been great if killap could design an area for shit. He's basically ripping off the NCR slave raid quest using the Metzger slave raid layout and hoping we wouldn't notice a third nearly identical encounter. Yet another "restoration" from a dummied area, and one that was essentially remapped to the Den.
>making shit up
Have you played 1.02 or were you always an RP fag?
>>
>>4520087
>If you didn't have fun on the first mission, it never changes substantially. I have never been able to get through that game.
Spot the faggot giving faggoty advices based on never finishing the game.
I bet you never even reached the part with Reavers
>>
>>4520482
1.02 doesn't fix endings, you mouth-breathing idiot. You still have bugged out Gecko and Vault City. And I'm glad your biggest complain about saving Sulik's sister is "b-but it's not an original location". Like I fucking care about that. I want to save the girl. That's all I care about - having that option and ability to perform it. And here you are, bitching that it looks samey. Because apparently NCR slave raid quest give you option to play it Great Khans style and not just get in guns blazin'.
Also, Outsdoorman doesn't scale like that, just so you know. But it does scale like that in 1.02.
>>
>>4520482
>All that made-up shit and scrub complains
Spot the actual faggot
>>
>>4519020
The real question is: why did you install a major overhaul mod on your playthrough? What kind of moron does that?

>>4520106
>>4520482
But 1.02 is still bugged out up the whazoo. Even compared with all the numerous issues of RP, especially the random encounter spam, it's still inferior thanks to bugged quest ending flags. It's not a problem if you know FO2 by heart and know what to do to not trigger bugs, but if you don't, then 1.02 won't solve shit.
>>
>>4517752
Underrail is literally Fallout: Spooky Edition
>>
File: 3ad.jpg (113 KB, 500x391)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>4517295
Not him, but Unarmed has special attacks unlocking with skill value. So it's not about the ability to hit as such due to skill value during checks, but also the fact skill adds you +n to damage and extra +x to crit chance once hitting certain mark.
In other words: Unarmed works slightly different than all other skills and you need to cross specific thresholds to get it really useful. The 115 and higher mark is probably the most importnat shit to do with Unarmed, as it grants you armor-piercing attacks (not to mention the other bonuses), combined with NOT using Unarmed weapons (they override your skill bonus, making you hit for less damage than you would with bare hands due to high skill).
Also, if you don't tag your Unarmed, you start around 50-56 mark and can get it to about 70 in Klamath, making is so-so for combat. If you tag it, you are around 90-96 mark in Klamath, suddenly turning your game experience to pic related. And real fun.
Just remember to get Bonus Move perk.
>>
>>4517272
Level 0, only Cassidy is really good. Level 2, Cassidy, Sulik and K-9 are great. Level 4, Cassidy, Sulik and K-9 kicks ass, while Vic gets suddenly really good. Level 6, Vic is THE best companion in the game and makes everyone around him, including Sulik and Cassidy, look like scrubs.
>>
>>4508054
I did not know if Unarmed was viable in F1, so I tried a few months ago to play with a Speech/Unarmed character with critical perks. It was fun punching everyone in the eyes while dogmeat finished the unlucky survivors.

I liked that you could control your followers with the unofficial patch I used, I think it would have been nice to have in the base game.
>>
>>4517731
>but they all fall off pretty horribly at the end.
They level up, so they ALWAYS are ahead of the area you are in, unless you decide to rush toward NCR and San Fran right off the bat.

>Yeah, sure, whatever you say, bro. ur so good
I fire Gauss rifle twice. Cassidy fires once or twice, depending if first shot was aimed. Vic fires twice. At this point Horrigan sustains anything between 300 to 600 damage. Repeat next turn.
Oh gee, that was soooooo hard to chip through his 999 HP at 3 people firing a weapon with +20% to aim, all three having at least 135% in Small Arms (that's Vic, since Cassidy has 160% and I rarely stop before hitting 151 mark in main combat skill), thus rendering 45AC completely null and void for firing calculation.
Alternatively, I just fire Bozar twice and either Cassidy or Vic finish him off in first turn.

Come to think about it, you sound like a faggot who doesn't know how to use companions nor that they level-up, doesn't know how weapons work nor has any idea how AC-to-skill work. All while the game is 20 years old.
Feels bad, man
>>
>>4517731
>I'm sure you can over-farm or build your squad for the specific purpose of taking Frank out in 1-2 rounds, but that's not going to happen on most runs
Define please "most runs", because I'm really curious right now how the hell this is something that is not going to happen on it's own. I myself never fought with Horrigan for more than four turns and that's because I consider using Bozar just unfun. Following main quest and ignoring pretty much all side-quests, you are going to be anywhere between level 16 to 18 once reaching Oil Rig and getting another level inside most likely. That's more than enough to take Horrigan down, solo, on 4-5 turns, assuming no Big Guns at play, as those can end the combat as fast as single turn. Companions, while will lead to diminishing effect, will still cut off another turn or even two (depending how many of them are present).
That fight is suprisingly easy to win and feels more like a chore than actual achievement or challenge. I usually have more problems with either the Vault City raiders in their hide-out or cleaning Vault 15, not to mention Wanamingo Mine, than with turning Horrigan to shreds. It's a single target with not even that much of HP. If he was, say, 2k hp or his armor was worth anything at all, then a different story. But as is, Frank Horrigan feels more like a push-over at this point of the game than anything else. There is just no way around him being inadequate for Final Boss
>>
>>4520542
> I usually have more problems with either the Vault City raiders in their hide-out or cleaning Vault 15
How do you have problems with those?
Have you every tried a frontal assault on Navarro?
>It's a single target
That really depends on your preparations. If you don't reprogram the turrets you face them as well and end up taking too much damage each round.
>>
>>4520557
>How do you have problems with those?
Being level 9 and having (at best) FN-FAL or similar combined with shitty armor, underequipped and underleveled companions when facing so many targets spread all over large room and taking potshot at you is definitely harder to deal with than being lvl 15+, with best equipment possible and ONE TARGET to focus on.
Seriously, the fact there is just one guy to aim at is probably the chief reason why Horrigan is so easy to defeat.
>Have you every tried a frontal assault on Navarro?
Piss easy to do, since unless you rushed there, you are well-equipped and with decent companions. Even if you are alone there, you are probably going to wipe the flour with Enclave soldiers, since they are nicely spread all over the place and never really use their obvious superior firepower combined with even more superior numbers. In short - they are spread too thinly to really be dangerous, allowing easy killing job.

And the turret issue was already described by this guy: >>4517259
All you need to do is standing roughtly in the middle and most of those turrets can't even REACH toward you. The remaining ones? Bitch please, they deal barely no damage, unless you are standing there naked or get so huge range penalty they can't aim properly when combined with your AC.

tl;dr those raiders are hard, because the way they are spread and equipped and how weak you are in general at that point of the game.
>>
>>4520575
Lol, floor
>>
File: Merc_caves_3.jpg (2.03 MB, 2879x1493)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB JPG
>>4520575
>All you need to do is standing roughtly in the middle and most of those turrets can't even REACH toward you.
And a first time player will figure that stuff out immediately? If you're unlucky you'll eat a critical hit and die instantly.

The raider cave expects that you were to NCR, Vault City and New Reno so you should have access to the combat armor. And the layout of the cave gives you cover even if you don't use sneak to pick them off one by one.
>>
>>4520608
A 13 year old me figured that out when still in Den, during first playthrough. And FO2 was my first Fallout.
So I would say - yeah.

>The raider cave expects that you were to NCR, Vault City and New Reno
It expect you've been in Vault City and MAYBE New Reno. So you are somewhere between HK CAWS (if lucky) or just Assault Rifles. The layout still gives you a hard-time, as they are close-by, but not close enough to just mow them down with burst or grenades.
The place stops being a challenge around the time you get your hands on CA Mk2 or similar or you were really lucky and your companions (at least 3 of them) are each at least Level 3 by then. Which even with save scumming is hard to pull.
>>
>>4520638
To make it clear, because it might get cloudy - figured out the right placement against multiple targets that have superior firepower against you. It's just a matter of standing in right spot to make sure they can't take a shot at you.
>>
>>4513468
I thought that the paladins followed you inside so I went in confident, then I realized that I was alone and the rocket launcher fucker killed me in 2 turns without the upgraded power armor, the rest of the base was not as bad but still a nightmare
>>
>>4517731
>He's got 999HP, 45 AC, and 20/70% damage resistance
So he can take about 10 shots from turboplasma. Just by bringing Marcus you fire 4 in single turn.
Big fucking deal.
>>
>>4520575
Pretty much this. Bunch of guys from Interplay made later Arcanum and did something similar - two of the toughest fights in the game happens early on, while the difficulty comes directly from the fact how underlevelled and underequipped you and your party are.
>>
>>4520498
Don't forget to NOT waste any perks on bonus hth damage because it's doesn't do shit. If you want to be relevant you need to have good luck and more criticals and punch people in the eyeball.

Also the +ac perk isn't worth it either everything still hits you 90% of the time. All you get is a bunch of annoying extra animation before you startor end your turn
>>
>>4520943
>Also the +ac perk isn't worth it either
You mean Dodger? Son, that's free +5 AC. If you are playing dedicated melee/unarmed build, it's one of the better perks out there.
Or you mean HtH Evade, which is just plain broken, as you need to get to 130% Unarmed anyway to unlock all special attacks for Unarmed, meaning 10 AC for free (11 if you get it to 132%), also double AC for unspent AP.
Having both works like wearing extra layer of Leather armor. Definitely worth consideration

Also, as a brawler, you don't need More Criticals, since you have Slayer
>>
>>4522316
How much unarmed do you need to get 95% eye on an enclave trooper?
>>
>>4522326
95 (skill) + 60 (aimed shot for eyes) + 30 (APA's Armor Class) = 185.
As HtH Evade bonus, that's 15 AC at 180%
>>
File: tenor.gif (346 KB, 320x236)
346 KB
346 KB GIF
>>4522326
>>4522339
Best part is - you can get about +40-60 Unarmed for free depending on your build, not a single point spent, if you know who can train you and what gives bonuses. Unarmed is strictly superior to any other combat skill for first half of the game and then easily keeps up with end-game guns. It's especially jarring when compared with FO1, which gets a lot of rep for being "better" for Unarmed characters. Bullshit.
>>
>>4522339
So you end up with AC 60 or so in total? Doesn't seem like it makes a big difference in point blank range.
It does however allow you to tank turrets and shit at the edge of their range so they expend all their ammo.
>>
>>4522369
>It's especially jarring when compared with FO1, which gets a lot of rep for being "better" for Unarmed characters. Bullshit.
Yeah, I have no idea who ever said that. FO1 has atrocious melee weapon progression for both types of melee. You are stuck with shitty Spears and Brass Knuckles, then you get a very sudden power spike in form of either Cattle Prod, Ripper or Super Sledge and then the progress stops entirely. Your early game is okay, mid-game is miserable because those weapons suck compared to any gun, Strength is a terrible melee damage amplifier due to broken mechanics, Heavy Handed is a bad trait, late game is nice but still not comparable to Turbo Plasma (I mostly like Super Sledge to peel meleers off myself)..

FO2, though? You get Spiked Knuckles at the start, you get a ton of free training, special Unarmed moves are really powerful, all Melee weapons have a much stronger, smoother progression curve and there's more perk support.
>>
>>4522385
Which is the point.
And that 60 AP, compared with "standard" 40 AP, makes a fuck-huge difference, believe me. Especially for stuff like turrets, but also Enclave grunts. They typically have 120 Small, 110 Big and 140 Energy Guns, so that +20 AC means they can't hit you for shit until you engage them in HtH (since each hex away is additional -4%) and still remains a viable -20% to their skill at point blank. And they are by far the toughest humanoid enemies in the game, all things considered, so go figure.
Long story short, you can effectively increase your AC by 50% with those two perks. Since you don't need Quick Pocket nor Better Criticals as a brawler (as you are not going to swap that much of gear and Slayers outwrites any other critical-related perk for Unarmed), you are not even trading anything important away, so not only it's viable, but well worth it.
>>
>>4522461
How does any of this info work with Rough combat difficulty where enemies have better hit%?

I recall the guy who completed and documented an Ironman playthrough of FO2 recommends Kamikaze because AC is not as helpful for staying alive as Sequence because it's better to avoid giving even a chance to get hit.
>>
>>4522454
Spiked Knuckles become obsolete at Unarmed 75% and level 6, thou. So you get to Klamath, get knuckles and are set all the way till level 6, where you can drop them and instead just pull Hammer Punch, which is superior to pretty much any Unarmed weapon at that point of the game. The best part is, absolutely average character will be around 70-75% Unarmed once getting the training in the Arroyo and from John Sullivan in Klamath, meaning you really don't need any skill upgrade till going against Slavers.
And if you got both Unarmed and Melee tagged, you can pretty much power through anyone and anything all the way until about Broken Hills (which assumes you did New Reno first) with just your naked fists and starting Sharpened Spear, with no weapon or skill upgrades whatsoever.
Guns? Who fucking need them. Tribal power, bitch.
>>
>>4522461
I guess turning a 95% chance to hit you into 80% does make a difference.
>>
>>4522473
>Sequence
>Useful for anything
>Ever
Sequence is literally a trash stat. If you start combat yourself, Sequence literally does nothing. At all.

And regarding Rought combat difficulty - still applies, if not more. See, enemies get on average +10% to their skills. Enclave soldiers get +15. But armor-based AC remains unchanged. So by getting yourself the extra AC, you are actively negating their skill gain and STILL come on top of it with extra AC.

To put it into perspective. Say you have RE with Enclave patrol. Three soldiers in it, with pulse and plasma pistols.
On standard difficulty they have 140 Energy Guns, your AC is 60, you should be roughtly 12 hexes away from you. Meaning they aim at you with 60-65 skill. Meaning one of them is going to completely miss the shot, as one of three shots is a miss.
On Rough difficulty, their active skill in the same situation is 75-80%. Still shit, still makes aimed shots highly unlikely due to their own modifiers.
Remove that extra 20 AP and instead they aim at you with 80-85% (so most hits land) on regular difficulty and got 95-100% on Rough, meaning all their hits land.

Why do I even need to explain why +20 AC is a big deal, when the best armor in the game grants you 35 and only shows up on Oil Rig? Fucking basic Power Armor grants +25 and you ask if 20 gained from two perks is viable.
>>
>>4522486
Don't forget the extra 20 AC from your unused AP.
Just wait until the guy with the pulse pistol has emptied his energy cell before moving in.
>>
>>4522486
> If you start combat yourself, Sequence literally does nothing. At all.
So not during random combat encounters on the map where, I assume, spamming A before the fight begins is rather cheesy if you can't Ambush from successful Outdoorsman?

As far as I understand it if you start a fight in Fallout Sequence still carries over to the next portion of the fight. I'm muddy on how it works, but, for instance, if you turn on combat, run up to a rat, and punch him, he will retaliate immediately, whereas if you walk to a rat and he initiates combat himself, you get two rounds of combat without him having a chance to move.
>>
>>4522473
>recommends Kamikaze
To make the ironman harder, I guess.
You start with anything between 14 to 20 Sequence. That's more than... pretty much anything in game. Wasting 10 AC to get +5 is the most retarded thing to do - you are giving your enemies +10 to their skills forever for a solid ability to perform your move before them IN FIRST TURN AND ONLY FIRST TURN.
How is that viable for anything at all? If sequence was calculated in a way how, say, Wasteland 2 does it, it would be viable, if not more important than AC and AP combined. But since it's FO1 and 2 we are talking about, sequence is absolutely useless stat that is a really weird atavism left from times when Fallout was still planned to use GURPS as base for mechanics.
>>
File: 1234.png (75 KB, 1067x669)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
>>4522497
>>
>>4522494
>spamming A before the fight begins is rather cheesy
>can't Ambush from successful Outdoorsman
>As far as I understand it if you start a fight in Fallout Sequence still carries over to the next portion of the fight.
No it doesn't. None of this works like that.
Let me explain:
When combat starts in random encounter, a so-called surprise turn happens and it happens OUTSIDE sequence calculation. Simply the side initiating combat gets a first move. So it doesn't matter if your sequence is higher, the raiders/mutants/animals/Enclave troopers/whoever else is going to have their move before you.
IF your sequence is high enough, you will have your move after them, in the same turn, but like I've said, only after they've used their "surprise turn" advantage first.
Then comes FIRST TURN of combat, decided entirely by sequence, starting from the highest present.
From this turn on, everyone has their move in that order.

In other words, all high sequence does is allowing you to have "double" surprise turn. It's mostly felt against enemies such as ants and rats. You know, how they engage in combat, but then you suddenly have a free turn where they don't attack you.
To get that effect against human enemies in reliable fashion, you would have to have Sequence of 28 and higher. Which means 10 PE, Kamikaze and two ranks of perk rising sequence.

Is it clear now why this is a dump stat that can be completely ignored?
>>
>>4522504
... what kind of retard made that character?
It's like this guy doesn't understand half of game mechanics.
Also
>Talks how Gifted is for munchkins
>Goes for 10 LK and Sniper
>>
>>4522516
Well, apparently the same retard who invented the Flarethrower crowd control bot build and who completed this game in Ironman numerous times, including without Gifted. So I'm kind of wary about questioning his expertise, since, whatever it is he does, it gets him results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKzaecCilpw
>>
File: 1515619461668.webm (219 KB, 670x818)
219 KB
219 KB WEBM
>>4522504
>Le Sniper Fast Shot build
>Ironman
>>
>>4522519
>Well, apparently the same retard who invented the Flarethrower crowd control
... which was a thing even before Near Ultimate Guide was compilled. In other words - he invented shit.
>>
>>4522526
Well, Ironman is "beat the game without dying once", not "beat the game with a subpar build"
>>
>>4522528
Beat the game without dying once?
Kek. Not possible.
>>
>>4522519
So you are going to flat-out ignore game's crunch, because some schmuck pulled Ironman, using the most broken build imaginable?
Also, I don't see him picking Kamikaze. I see him going for 10 Luck Sniper build instead. Which really is retarded, considering you can gain free +2 LK in the game.
>>
>>4522536
>Which really is retarded, considering you can gain free +2 LK in the game.
He addresses it. +2 LK is risky, there's a chance that the zeta scan won't work and it will actually LOWER your Luck. If you're going for a no-reload playthrough, you can't take that risk; he only would try it if he were playing without Gifted (possibly with some strat that involves rushing NCR).
>>4522531
Well, he did it. In fact, even *I* did it, inspired by what I read and with a helping of the guy's tactics. It's quite intense.
>>
>>4522542
Oh no, instead of having 80% + 8% chance of criticals, you are going to have 70% + 7%! Such tragedy!
Daily reminder that the scan is semi-random and the outcome is biased toward +2 LK if you pick right dialogues with the Hubologist, with 7:3 distribution.
20 year old game and people prefer fucking hersay than actual game data
>>
>>4522531
So young so naive, it can even be done under 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY9ekm2aEwM
>>
>>4522596
>Fallout can be done in under 20 minutes
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*GASP*AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>4522567
>Oh no, instead of having 80% + 8% chance of criticals, you are going to have 70% + 7%! Such tragedy!
Well.. it kinda... is? 11% crit rate is something nobody would enjoy missing out on, and in some cases your survivability might absolutely depend on making sure everyone hit by your bullets is sure to receive the crit.
>Daily reminder that the scan is semi-random and the outcome is biased toward +2 LK if you pick right dialogues with the Hubologist, with 7:3 distribution.
I don't believe even the Nearly Ultimate Fallout 2 Guide by Per Jorner mentions these exact mechanics - as well as many others you're saying here - so this is the first I hear of it. Therefore:
>20 year old game and people prefer fucking hersay than actual game data
No. I'll be very glad to hear about your expertise and learn something new - really, a *lot* of the info you are saying here is new to me - but I really don't think a lot of people know the exact intricacies of how a zeta scan works, nor do I believe it is readily documented.
>>
>>4522605
Are you having a stroke?
>>
>>4522646
>2018
>Not knowing Near Ultimate Guide
Not even him, but come the fuck on! That shit was ancient a decade ago.
>>
>>4522596
What the fuck ?!
>>
>>4522790
You can't read. I said that I don't believe that the NU Guide has this specific information, and I even double-checked after I made the post. And no, Per Jorner doesn't specify exactly how the scan works.
>>
>>4522316
No, taking psycho is like wearing extra armor. Your ac isn't worth shit. Source: I played the game and all the +ac in the world never seemed to substantially reduce how often I got hit.

Maybe it was the RP I used on my last run. Does it give enemies +80 to hit or something?
>>
>>4522316
Maxing Toughness would mitigate much more damage than any of those ac feats. Also taking action boy or movement would be better because you will have some extra ap to be tactical with.
>>
>>4522316
And stop bringing up slayer, holy fuck. Level 24 perk exists so you don't need more criticals?

And better criticals is needed and insane. It literally puts instant kill criticals on the table you can't get any other way.
>>
>>4522486
Sequence can be the difference between getting hit once, and getting hit never.

In my experience without trying to buff sequence enemies almost always beat.me. You get your surprise round by mashing a. Okay. Well shit that wasn't enough to kill the enemy group. They go first on the first round and i get to finish them up on my first round


If i had higher sequence that's less enemies that even get to attack once.
>>
Can't you just combat sneak through the entire game
>>
File: anecdotal evidence.jpg (136 KB, 960x835)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>4522829
>Source: My experience
Pic for you.

>>4522834
>Also taking action boy or movement would be better
You should pick both. I mean - both the AC related ones and obviously those adding to AP and reducing AP intake.
There is literally a handful of perks you really need/might pick, so it's not a problem. And the only real "must have" is Bonus Rate of Fire/Bonus HtH Attacks. After that there are optionally: two ranks of Action Boy, Bonus Movement (MAYBE twice), Awarness, Living Anatomy, Slayer/Sniper (I find them superflous), Better Criticals. If you go Unarmed, then there is literally no fucking reasons not to pick HtH Evade, since that really works wonder. Dodger is nice for melee combat, as at melee range you obviously won't benefit from keeping distance from enemies.
And Toughness? Anything more than one rank of it is a fucking waste of perk, since there are other means to get the DR to 90% (which is a cap). If you really want a stat to stop damage, look for Damage Threshold instead. Pro tip: nothing but armor grants that.

>>4522842
Oh, I'm not allowed to bring Slayer, but faggots can bring Sniper on each and every step?
Eat dick and learn how Unarmed works.

>>4522851
Nice paraphrase from Fallout wikia
And the pic also goes for you

>>4522879
You can try sneaking by, but it's not really reliable, with Sneak having one of the weirdest counter-checks in entire game, so most of the time you can get spotted for no reason at all. Because of that, Sneak is one of the most useless skills, mostly due to how unreliable it is, rather than being outright bad.
>>
>>4522842
Also, you massive tool, explain us all how the FUCK you managed to confuse More Criticals with Better Criticals? It's like you can't into reading comprehension or don't know the difference and why More Criticals get obsolete with Slayer
>>
>All those idiots arguing about the importance of Sequence
If you happen to have PE of 8 or higher, you are by default having higher Sequence than pretty much anything in the game. At PE 9 and higher your sequence is only matched by stuff like Wanamingo Queen or Frank Horrigan. Considering Enclave patrolmen have Sequence of 14 (male) or 16 (female, and those are obviously much more rare, but yes, they do exist and are roughtly 1 in 6 of patrolmen) and make some of the toughest enemies in the game, why the hell would you need higher sequence than 16 (in case of even value for both sides, game always favours player character). There is no difference in by how many points you are above your enemies, all it counts is that you are above or even. So picking Kamikaze to get +5 and thus have Sequence of 21-26 does you no favour at all, because there is a literal handful of enemies that have Sequence of 18 and only Horrigan has Sequence of 20. Regardless of how you percieve importance of AC, there is just no way to justify trading somewhat useful AC for utterly pointless Sequence.
>>
>>4523818
*21-25
>>
>>4523595
>Sniper
No one ever brought up sniper except to call it a retarded build. Apparently slayer is just the best shitbever.
>>4523620
I never did, you ignored advice to get better criticals and said slayer is the only thing you need when better critical is what you are really going to rely on in a melee build because barehanded damage is always shit and it only gets redeemed by the +critical chance the high skill moves give
>>
>>4517752
Wasteland 2: Directors Cut is very much like them. Hell, Fallout started out as an idea for a sequel to the original Wasteland.
>>
>>4523595
>Sneak is one of the most useless skills, mostly due to how unreliable it is, rather than being outright bad.
It's a skill that costs you nothing to use in combat except for slightly slower walking animation. And it suppresses all sound in combat so nearby enemies don't get alerted.
>>
the dude who patched fallout 2 nerfed unarmed to be bad because he personally thinks it wouldn't be effective in that setting
>>
>>4524046
>you ignored advice to get better criticals and said slayer is the only thing you need
Ever occured to you I might be a different guy? Not only you can't read, but assume fucking hivemind.
What is this? /v/?
>>
>>4524206
Apperently this fixed that but also added other shit, did anyone here test it yet?

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ecco-gameplay-overhaul-for-restoration-project/
>>
>>4524638
It's... ok, for lack of better term. Few bits are good, few bits are yet another "fan fix" bullshit and the final effect comes somewhere around "huh, ok". Not bad, slightly above average, but the real question remains:
What for?
>>
>>4508054
excelente and immersive games, but aged kinda bad for today standards, so I don't play them anymore. Music is some of the best things and I still play it on my phone when I'm on the road. MARK MORGAN is the king of soundtracks for me
>>
>>4524669
I never wanted anything but quest fixes and ap/hollowpoint fixes

Maybe put suliks sister in with metzgers slaves
>>
>>4524808
Then tough luck, since I can't think of a single mod or fan patch that does only this and doesn't add any footprint on its own.
>>
>>4524839
I was okay with rp, but then I am pissed it fucked up hth instead of fixing bonus hth damage it just ruins everything.
>>
>>4524843
This is the only reason why I don't use RP myself - you can't play as brawler, unless you want to get fucked. So if I play at all, I stick to vanilla.
>>
>>4524843
Aren't there older RP versions without that? I think you should check that out.
>>
>>4524973
I can't really be bothered to play again. I just did an rp run and got bored after arriving in Reno and being halfway done with vault city.
>>
>>4524973
I would be really, really fucking glad if I could find a version of RP without it, because yeah, in early days of the RP, the HtH was left untouched.
But I no longer have a copy of any of those versions and they had other issues (like for example not having EPA and having random encounters bugged)

>>4525005
Why that moment in particular? I mean as long as you don't go HtH, RP is fine.
Then again, I remember my first, blind play of FO2 somewhere in 2003 and how I was left just repelled from the game around fixing Gecko, because I had no clue where to go now and didn't want to break a sequence. Then I ended up in Redding and things get so fucked in no time, I dropped the game for another month until a friend of mine helped me set up the "right" sequence of towns.
>>
>>4524860
the guy's rationale for doing it and disregarding everyone else's opinion was really painful to read

it was almost as bad as christian brigandine rebalance patch
>>
>>4526221
The worst part is this is obligatory and not optional element of RP. What the fuck?! I mean if it was a sub-patch or optional choice, sure, fine by me. Oblig? Fuck that shit!
>>
File: Mikusgotagun.gif (747 KB, 283x239)
747 KB
747 KB GIF
>>4524138
I bought into the kickstarter for W2 and played it around release time and it didn't hold me as much. I dropped it around the time I got to California. Does it pick up? And what did the Director's Cut change/add?
>All those graphical errors cause of shitty Unity engine.
>>
>>4526572
Yeah, I always heard the original version that came out after the kickstarter was not so hot.. I passed on it because of that actually even though I'm a massive fan of the original and Fallout 1 & 2. I intended to get around to playing it eventually but then Directors Cut came out and I absolutely love it.

As for features added (copypasta directly from their website):

*Graphical overhaul and update to the Unity 5 game engine.
*Expanded voice-over with thousands of newly-voiced lines for key characters and scenes.
*Precision Strikes system allows you to target individual body parts on enemies in combat, which lets you inflict negative status effects on them.
*Perks system lets you pick bonuses for your characters as they level up. There are 90 avilable perks
*Quirks system lets you pick a personality trait for each custom created Ranger during character creation, with a gameplay-modifying positive and negative quality. Tbere are 20 available quirks
*Rebalanced gameplay, including virtually all combat encounters, weapons, loot drops and containers.
*Controller support on PC and console. On PC, you can select from keyboard and mouse input, as well as Xbox 360, Xbox One and PlayStation 4 DUALSHOCK 4 controller modes.
*There's plenty of smaller additions to be found, of course, but we'll leave those for you to find.

*In the Director's Cut, virtually all of our environment art and character models have been updated, we've added new visual effects such as fire and explosions, and we have overhauled lighting and shading thanks to Unity's new Physically-Based Rendering system, which approximates real-world lighting conditions.

There is a lot more info on the details of theses features where I pasted this from:
https://wasteland2.inxile-entertainment.com/backer-information/release-faq

Also, the Directors Cut edition is free to anyone who backed or already owns the original Wasteland 2 release

Seriously, all fans of Fallout 1/2 should definitely give it a try.
>>
>>4526617
Maybe I'll pick it back up. I enjoyed making my own Ranger harem with custom portraits and RPing in my head like an autist.
>>
when you get bored anons: http://resurrection.cz/en/download/
>>
>>4527243
my nigga
>>
>>4526572
Director's Cut is pretty much Wasteland 2.5, that's how much it changes things around. I can't even imagine right now playing it vanilla, because there are just too many good and fun options added in DC. I strongly recommend picking DC and playing it, even if you didn't exactly like vanilla.
And let's pretend Wasteland 2 release didn't happen until December 2014, ok? The early build was just fucking horrible and it took another 3 months of intense patching to make that piece of shit work, turning away a LOT of people. Think Rome 2 Total War initial release.
>>
>>4526572
>>4526618
>>4527731
Also, Director's Cut most importantly makes combat interesting and endgaging. It's no longer a case of arming entire squad with assault rifles and just powering through, since they've managed to balance all weapons around, so you now really want and should to diversify your armament. And melee went from so-so to just as good as guns.
>>
Problem with Wasteland 2 DC is that Wasteland 2 was like 70 hours long. I enjoyed the game but just don't really want to play it again. The graphics certainly look nicer, and any rebalances would certainly be cool. One of the nice things about Fallout is how short it is.
>>
>>4527742
The rebalance is more important than just cosmetic changes in graphics. DC made me not just use, but enjoy pistols and shotguns, while they were just flat-out useless in vanilla.
>>
I thought fallout 1 was boring and after 17 hours I put that game to the side the novelty wore off.
>>
>>4527827
I'm surprised you just didn't flat out finish the game by then, if you were playing for 17 hours.
>>
>>4527742
>played halfway through beta, California released, restart because of bugs
>halfway through, final release
Fuggit no more fun left in the game and I haven't beat it once.
>>
>>4527243
It's shit. You can't kill your way through the last dungeon without missing out on more than half of the games quests. Even though they are filthy murdering ghouls that need to be cleansed

Besides that the difficulty and economy is fucking broken.
>>
>>4520063
Because of how much I generally enjoy Fallout games, I am trying to play through this right now, but I'm just not enjoying it. The real-time combat feels too fast for any sort of strategic play, and the turn-based combat feels nothing like the combat in FO1 and FO2. I've seen contradicting advice where people have said it's best to play as a "run and gun" real-time game, while others have said turn-based is easier.

Anyone have tips for getting through this game or should I just drop it?
>>
>>4528869
The beginning is pretty tough because you don't have skills to shoot guns. After like the second chapter you will be able to just pick recruits that are decent.
Disarming mines is save scum.ing shit because you will fail, even with 95% skill
>>
>>4529016
>The beginning is pretty tough because you don't have skills to shoot guns
This is exactly the problem I'm having. The game is supposedly based on "tactics," but it's almost impossibly to strategically place your squad members because their chance to hit drops to single digits if they're more than a few feet away.
>>
>>4508054
> good survival gameplay
> good atmosphere
> good story
> shitty ending due to time limits / quests that were fucked up (Followers of the Apocalypse)
> arbitrary skill viability - you basically have to know the game to know which skills will be useful beforehand
> combat is slow, clunky, shitty, and will make you reload a thousand times over (wear power armor, mutie bypasses your armor and crits for 600+ damage, domo arigato)
> a lot of wandering around figuring out what to do next while having nothing to do

FO2 points

> cant figure out whether its supposed to be serious or a comical game




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.