[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1000x730)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
I'm looking to buy a Playstation.
Aesthetically, I prefer the PSOne model. I'm sure the disc drive is more reliable too.

However I've been trying to find out if there are any major limitations in this model compare to the older ones? Specifically when it comes to inputs. If i want to start using RGB or something like that.
>>
They have the same video output.
>>
I'd say the only minor drawback to PSOne is that it has no parallel port but it has a cute screen and battery pack options.
>>
There's no drawback to the PsOne unless you want to use the link port.
And that it looks like a Fisher-Price toy.
>>
The LCD for it is comfy as fuck.
>>
not a limitation, but the sound chip is supposedly better in early models (phased out after 55xx; not sure if any of the 7xxxs have the better chip). afaik it's an audiophile-tier difference; i can't tell the difference between my psone and my 5501, but that doesn't mean much because my setup is shitty.
>>
>>4517483
>And that it looks like a Fisher-Price toy.
This is why I prefer the PSX.
>>
>>4517392
No models have RGB inputs.
>>
I just use one of the multitude of non /vr/ systems that play PSX games. They actually did something right with making everything PS1-backward-compatible.
>>
Replacing the PSX disc drive assembly is by far the easiest modification one can do to a retro console. The PS1 is super accessible, I'd just pick up a PSX and clean it up.

The PSOne is nice though, if you can find that, go for it
>>
>>4517483
>And that it looks like a Fisher-Price toy.

As opposed to looking like a cheap ass VCR player?
>>
File: SCPH-5903.png (103 KB, 324x213)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
>>4517473
/thread

There is also the Asia-only VCD model: 5903, which has all of the pros of the 55xx since it has all of the better video chips and sound chips, best DAC, is more durable and reliable, and has the parallel and I/O ports.

And it even has the RCA ports on the back, which can give you the legendary "audiophile" audio quality of the earlier PS1 models.

A great distinction is that this is white like the PSone but is still not a slim model.

I got mine for a very cheap price, since the seller never knew that he had something rare in his hands.

VCD playback isn't your target here but it's pretty nice if you have VCDs.
I myself have VCDs of Laputa: Castle in the Sky, NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind, Ponyo on the Cliff By the Sea, (500) Days of Summer, Treasure Planet, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Original Trilogy - Special Edition.

I have some other VCDs we imported back in the day but they're in storage for now.

VCD looks like 240p YouTube videos, so they aren't even that worth it unless you want to watch something very rare like an open-matte print of (500) Days of Summer or the only digital prints of the 1997 Special Editions of Star Wars: Original Trilogy and the theatrical edition of The Phantom Menace.
It gets even worse with the widescreen VCDs, since they are non-anamorphic.
Not all VCDs have Chinese hardsubs, since if you get them from the Philippines or Malaysia, they mostly aren't present.

However, my Ghibli VCDs came from Hong Kong and have hardsubbed Chinese subtitles, which ruin the video compression and it looks awful.
The other ones don't have hardsubs, though.

The sound is also compressed at 44.1kHz 256KBps, so it's actually worse than a LaserDisc.
The audio from the LaserDisc/DVD/Blu-ray versions are miles better.

Get the 5903 if you come across one at a good price, though, since it's the most functional PS1, with or without the whole VCD gimmick.
>>
>>4518017

Reddit-tier grammar complaint there faggot. No one wants to see that shot here, so get necked.
>>
>>4518130
Exactly.
>>
>>4518159
You got yours very cheap because you didn't buy it on ebay. This is one of those things you can find for a few bucks in Asia that some burger collectors pay silly amounts for because muh L@@K R@RE. I paid HK$40 (~US$5) for mine.
>>
>>4518627
I bought one in this used goods shop run by an Asian man who didn't know that he has something rare in his possession.
>>
I just looked up the prices on Ebay. Who in the motherfuck would actually pay $150+ for this thing? What a god damn fucking joke.
>>
>>4518701
It's only of interest to Pop Idol worshipping attention seekers who ctrl-c, ctrl-v walls of text that nobody bothers to read.

Do you fit into that category? If not simply have a little chuckle and move along.
>>
>>4518676
>L@@K R@RE = rare
lol
>>
>>4518159
>Asia-only VCD model: 5903
>is more durable and reliable
Yeah, except it's impossible to find one with a working disc drive.
>>
>>4518159
>And it even has the RCA ports on the back, which can give you the legendary "audiophile" audio quality of the earlier PS1 models
This was mainly due to the DAC you tard.
>>
Whats a good replacement 3rd party PS1/PS2 controller?
>>
>>4519679
They don't exist. Just replace the rubber pads and yours should feel like new.
>>
>>4519629
Even in Asia, it's pretty uncommon.

>>4519645
I replaced it with a PSone disc drive since it's more reliable, but I got it with a working disc drive.

>>4519675
It has both the "audiophile" RCA ports and the best DAC, which means this is a PS1 with the best possible audio (unless someone can do an optical S/PDIF mod for the PS1 which is widely compatible with most AV receivers.
>>
>>4519645
I found one. I must be like some sort of god or something?

>>4519867
Sure. Uncommon compared to the stacks of millions of grey ones that line the stalls in flea markets and back rooms of game shops. I don't know where you draw the line between uncommon and rare. I guess on /vr/ where games that sold millions are "rare" rare is anything one person doesn't own.
>>
>>4517483
It also has no reset button. Not really a big deal or anything but still.
>>
>>4520062
You you blind? It has a huge button labeled reset.
>>
>>4520260
That's the power button.

It has no momentary reset function, only switching it off then switching it back on again.
>>
>>4519867
I've told you and others here many times that the circuitry feeding the RCA audio outs is a load of shit yet you continue to list them as a plus.

Breaking out RCA from the Multi-AV is better in literally 100% of cases.
>>
>>4520318
Never lets the facts get in the way of a stupid meme
>>
>>4517392
Get the 550X-series, these are from after all the problems with the early revisions were fixed, but it's also from before they started doing stuff to make it cheaper, and before they removed the Parallell port. Also, get any form of parallell port cartridge, and do the swap trick once to install Unirom on the cartridge. That way you can basically play any game on it. You should preferably try to get a cartridge with at least 256kb EEPROM so that you can install Unirom+Caetla on it, otherwise you'll have to remove it if you wanna manage your memory cards.
Also, if you live in a PAL region, don't bother getting an NTSC Playstation. I did that, and it turned out to be pointless. The console is not hardcoded to run either PAL or NTSC, it can output both as long as you can bypass the region coding. The NTSC signal output by a PAL Playstation is apparently a bit off spec, but that's usually not a problem if you're using a CRT. They have a certain tolerance for things like that.
>>
>>4518159
>There is also the Asia-only VCD model: 5903
The Unirom copy protection bypass won't work on Asia models since they are identical to Japanese ones except that they have 110-240v PSUs. I have no idea why, but the Japanese BIOS just doesn't accept the secret command.
>>
>>4522450
That's weird...
I swear mine was modded and can play US discs and burnt discs.
>>
>>4522481
I wasn't talking about any modchips, I was talking about the fairly recently found exploit that Unirom uses.
>>
>>4522487
Okay, mine had a modchip.
>>
>>4519679
A used first-party controller.
>>
bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.