[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: gng.jpg (11 KB, 259x194)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
What are the toughest arcade platformers to 1 credit? This series obviously related
>>
Fucking Haunted Castle
>>
A bit out of topic, but Super Ghouls N Ghost really isnt has hard has people make it out to be. Things are quite fair and predictable.
>>
the original ghosts n goblins, i only played it on nes but
>>
>>4577068
Arcade version of the first game is the hardest. Even on lower settings. Nes version is hard but not as hard.

The Snes game is more likely for you to finish if you have no chance of finishing the ones before it.

There are easier ports and later some games with easy modes.
>>
File: trojan2.png (25 KB, 256x240)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
Most anything by Capcom, really. These games were made to be unforgiving for the sake of credit feeding.

But to veer away from Capcom for a moment, I'll also say Fantasy Zone. I think only two of them were ever released in the arcades, but I may be wrong.
>>
>>4577320
There's easy Capcom arcade games.
>>
Ninja spirit
>>
If you used save states, tool kits yiu never finished the games.
>>
>>4577093
It's considered hard because it has limited continues. Keep in mind most people don't 1cc a game unless they need to.
>>
>>4577320
Change "unforgiving" to "demanding"
and "credit feeding" to "replayability"
fixed
>>
>>4577331
the ninja pit on the last stage is a load of crock. That's just designed to suck up quarters

great game though, and the pce port is a technical achievement
>>
>>4577320
Fantasy Zone is one of the easier arcade games out there.

The second game was console only but got a System 16 board remake. It's a lot longer and more complicated, even on master system I never got past level 3
>>
>>4577362
the fact that SGnG and the NES port of GnG gives you unlimited continues tells me you're supposed to just continue until you beat it. Actually 1ccing a GnG game would take months of practice, it's ridiculous to expect people to do that, and Capcom knew that.
>>
File: mike-nicholson-sinistar01.jpg (117 KB, 1520x1266)
117 KB
117 KB JPG
>>4577068
Fuck your quarter. Gimme another one.
>>
>>4577420
First of all, using ports as your argument is just bad.
Aside from that, SGnG has limited credits even on Beginner. Why are anti-arcade faggots ALWAYS so clueless? I guess I'm answering myself here.
>>
>>4577420
Ghosts n goblins for Genesis has unlimited continues, not SGnG
>>
>>4577430
ok but it's very generous and gives you tons of continues as long as you collect the money bags. the point is capcom did not design the game around 1ccing, neither you nor I have or ever will 1cc a GnG game, and there's nothing 'anti-arcade' about my post whatsoever.
>>
>>4577441
Sure, just like the Streets of Rage games. Made for console games were designed differently even if they were largely inspired by arcade games.
>neither you nor I have or ever will 1cc a GnG game
lol I have 2-ALL'd the two arcades.
Maybe you're not shitting on arcades but you're denoting ignorance and spouting misinformation.
>>
>>4577459
>lol I have 2-ALL'd the two arcades.
I don't believe you, but even if it is true, you can't actually believe Capcom intended players to do that. Just how many hours did you practice to do that anyway?
>>
>>4577441
Also, I'm pretty sure you've pretty much never actually tried to play games like these with one credit. Try doing so, and after doing so for a while then come back and tell us if you still think these are unfairly designed. People have a lot of preconceived misconceptions about these games.
>>
>>4577420
There are far harder arcade games that you're obviously meant to 1cc like Gradius 3 or CAVE bullet hells. The presence of infinite credits doesn't say much. You can always play the sequel, can 1-ALL that in a week or less.
>>
>>4577475
Some weeks of trying a coin each day, as with most arcade games I play.
>>
>>4577480
Yeah, I can 2-ALL the GnG arcades as I mentioned but I still can only 1-ALL DOJ, Ketsui and Gradius III.
>>
>>4577475
Also, the fact that you find this stuff unbelievable just screams that I was right here >>4577478
Give it a try, anon. You may be surprised, it's not that bad.
>>
>>4577478
>>4577490
I don't they're generally unfair (though there are moments), just that they're too hard to 1cc without like 60+ hours of practice
>>
If you don't 1cc certain games, the true ending won't come as well.

Arcades=get good.
>>
Bonze Adventure, a must play if you're a GnG fan
>>
>>4577501
>60+ hours
Maybe if you pick a very hard one when you're new to this, but no. It's around 10-15 hours for me (15-30 minutes each day for some days / weeks), except for outliers like the ones he mentioned: >>4577480
>>
>>4577501
Don't assume, try it. 60 hours is a massive estimate, try 10-20 as long as you learn well, and that time flies by very quickly when you play short sessions.
>>
>>4577520
Yeah, this is the problem I have with these guys. They just assume these are impossible or a massive timesink for some reason.
And then proceed to waste dozens of hours in "press the confirm button mindlessly" RPGs.
And they just keep going on and on with the LOL IMPOSSIBLE meme as if they had actually tried before, but they haven't. It's infuriating, because this attitude has made them less prone to try these games and thus buy new arcade style games (RIP).
>>
>>4577520
>>4577510
i find it hard enough to '1cc' games that don't even have continues. I practiced for like two weeks to beat Salamander
>>
>>4577546
Two weeks for Salamander is actually pretty nice for someone still not used to these if you actually managed to 1-ALL.
>>
>>4577546
Salamander is a nightmare with awful hitboxes and no chance to gain extra lives.

GnG actually has score extends.
>>
Try 1943 Kai.
>>
>>4577546
If you like shooters you have to try Batsugun Special Version, as I always say it's pretty much perfect for beginners to get into 1-ALL'ing.
>>
>>4577552
thx. I find it the easiest of all the ones I've tried so far.
>>4577554
in spite of that, I find GnG much, much harder given the same amount of credits. Like overwhelmingly more difficult. Of course when I've played it I use lots of continues though.
>>4577568
Yeah i've played it because I've seen lots of people here recommend it. I like it but I think I'm going to try to beat Gradius 1/2 next. I've already gotten to level 5 in Gradius 1 so probably not much more practice..
>>
>>4577629
Are you using the forward tap trick in GnG? If you don't know, you can increase your fire rate by cancelling the recovery animation if you tap forward right after shooting, so alternating between attack->forward lets you shoot very quickly and kill enemies faster. The red arremers have several weaknesses, but the most consistent one is their charging attack. If you do nothing for a while, they will land on the ground, run around for a little bit and then charge right at you. This is the best time to kill them using the tapping trick. There are some useful tricks in the last 2 levels too, like intentionally getting hit at the double ogres to skip them.
>>
>>4577641
By the way, this only applies to the original arcade version and isn't in the NES port, which you should avoid anyway because it's a terribly put together port.
>>
>>4577641
>>4577650
I didn't know about that trick. I'll try it next time, and yeah the last time I played it I played the arcade version. The NES version actually has sickeningly choppy scrolling and movements on the sprites. I like the music in it though. The one I played most was SGnG but that was years ago.
>>
>>4577389
Yeah the ninja pit is some of the most blatant memorizers I've seen, today it's not much of problem but back then, fuck
>>
I can pop off a Ghosts 2-all on one credit pretty easily but Ghouls always manages to dick me over, then again I haven't played it as much as the first game so meh.
>>
>>4577736
If it weren't for that part that game would be a fucking classic
>>
>>4577554
Ironically, Salamander on pc engine has very low Extends.
>>
>>4577480
>You can always play the sequel, can 1-ALL that in a week or less.
Well I can't, fuck me
>>
you guys overrate the difficult of arcade games too much. to get to a killscreen playing a golden age arcade is hard indeed, but games like metal slug, sunset riders and cadillacs and dinosaurs if you play 4 quarters a day I'm pretty sure you would 1 cc them before you'd spend 40 dollars
>>
>>4578776
>you guys overrate the difficult of arcade games too much
you underestimate how shit i am
>>
Very little actual discussion of platformers.
>>
>>4578781
If you actually try for a while you'll stop being shit unless you have some kind of physical or mental disability. You're just simply conditioned by modern / baby games, once you detox yourself from that and get into arcades for a while you'll think "I don't get how I could suck like that just a few weeks ago" and coming back to said baby games will feel like a chore (and they are a literal chore, just disguised with shiny stuff like graphics, story or progress system addiction. Easy tasks you have to endure for a while).
>>
>>4577068
Athena
Bonze Adventure
Genpei Toumaden
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Haunted Castle
Mighty Bomb Jack
Ninja Kid II
Shadow Dancer
Spelunker
>>4577224
You poor kid
>>4577420
>it's ridiculous to expect people to do that,
What? No it isn't. Lots of people care greatly about how much play time they get out of a game.
>>4577475
It's quite do-able if you just play the game a bit each day and not throw a tantrum when the game expects you to develop your skill and you can't finish it in one sitting.
>>4577506
mah nigger
>>
>>4579456
>It's quite do-able if you just play the game a bit each day and not throw a tantrum when the game expects you to develop your skill and you can't finish it in one sitting.
Unfortunately, this stuff is completely alien to people conditioned by modern games.
>>
how hard do you guys consider cadash and magician lord
>>
>>4577440
>Ghosts n goblins for Genesis has unlimited continues, not SGnG

doesnt exist. you mean ghouls n ghosts.
>>
toki was one of the first platformers i learned to 1cc, very little RNG apart from later bosses.
>>
>>4577420
>it's ridiculous to expect people to do that
christ i hate your cunt lazy weak minded scum generation, a couple months to learn something is fucking nothing, jesus christ you must of done fuck all in your shit life to think that.
>>
>>4581596
What I want to know is why these people even play old games? The process of dying, learning, and improving is what these games are about. It's like going into an RPG and complaining about having to learn about numbers.
>>
>>4577475
>I don't believe you
fuck off you mouth breather i know players that do it on demand and aquas did it live at agdq, try using your brain when you play and think about what you're doing, build a strategy and with just an hr a day you'll do it in a month or 2.
>>
>>4577501
>without like 60+ hours of practice
fuck me have you done ANYTHING in life? do you have ANY talents? how can you think 60 hrs is a long time? in shmup scoring a few hundred hrs is a warm up.
>>
>>4581612
i want to know how little learning they've done in anything ever to think a few hrs figuring out a silly fun hobby like vidya is unattainable, the attitude stinks and this is why i don't waste my time with the apathetic excuse ridden sacks of shit on vr, they only deserve abuse.
>>
>>4581596
>>4581613
>>4581618
Read: >>4579468

>>4581612
They try them because they see them mentioned by e-celebs or want to be hip with the retro fad (maybe they watched GDQ on Twitch).
>>
>>4581635
Take your meds, Cee. Not everyone here is like that.
>>
>>4581636
So basically they don't even like games and are more interesting in fads, cliques, trends, and fitting in.
>>
>>4577420
famicom port of GnG was 1 credit only retard
>>
>>4581649
That sums me up perfectly.
>>
>>4581689
You seem to be lost >>>/v/
>>4581664
These guys are always so ignorant, it's like clockwork.
>>
>>4581664
no it's not lol, it's unlimited.
>>4581596
>>4581618
>>4581613
>>4581612
>>4581635
60 hours is a huge amount of time people are unwilling to dump into 1ccing a 6-stage platformer, yes. there's a lot more to experience out there than just one small game.
>i know players that do it on demand and aquas did it live at agdq
someone who has likely dumped hundreds of hours into the game, which puts him in like 1% of the people who have enjoyed the game.
>>
>>4582580
People dump 60 hours into 1 crediting a 6-stage platformer because those are 60 extremly high quality hours. It sounds like to me you are saying quality is not a very importaint to you with this

>yes. there's a lot more to experience out there than just one small game.

That explains your character perfectly.
>>
60 hours sounds excessive, ghouls 'n ghosts and jap version makaimura shouldn't take more than 20h each
>>
>>4582580
>no it's not lol, it's unlimited.
in the us dumbass but not jp
>>
>>4582638
>because those are 60 extremly high quality hours.
not entirely. pretty early on you'll master the first 2 or 3 stages, and every time you lose you'll have to play through them again and again to get to teh part you're learning. you can alleviate some of the monotony by just credit feeding to the end every time you beat your previous 1 credit record, which is arguably helpful anyway since it helps you memorize the later stages a bit for when you're actually there on one credit. in my experience after having the first half of a game down, I listen to music or a podcast or something with the volume down until I get to the part where I need to focus, pause what I'm listening to, and put the volume back up. when I die rinse and repeat. the game itself becomes background noise for a significant portion of those hours the closer you get to being able to 1cc. a lot better than grinding in an RPG but still. and that's my experience with much easier games, nothing so difficult as 1ccing ghosts n goblins.
>>
>>4582668
oh. well I had no idea, I was only familiar with the US release. 1 credit to unlimited is a pretty crazy change.
>>
>>4582669
this meme is getting tiring, I don't know what shitty games you play but arcade games have consistent and gradual difficulty progression, it's not like it's boring shit until you get to the final stage (unless you are playing a trash game)
>>
>>4582695
>but arcade games have consistent and gradual difficulty progression, it's not like it's boring shit until you get to the final stage
agreed. it's just that once you get really good at the easier stages it becomes very easy. to be fair it's probably not as much like that in ghosts n goblins, because it's not an auto-scroller and you still have the red firebrands and what not to contend with and I guess even once you have the first few levels completely memorized they won't become complete second nature in that kind of game.
>>
>>4582709
>agreed. it's just that once you get really good at the easier stages it becomes very easy.
not really depends on the game, if you get that frustrated with the final stages just practice it until you get consistent at it
which game anyway
>>
>>4582714
i'm
>>4577546
i've been playing salamander/gradius/gradius 2. I'm very close to beating gradius. to be fair replaying the first few stages is not quite as dull as salamander. the biggest improvement is stage 3, which is basically autopilot in salamander, and 10x harder in gradius. though I imagine it would be more fun without my lasers slowing down the fire, but I just wanted to guarantee I didn't die until I got to stage 6.

I don't get frustrated with the final stages, just bored with replaying the stages I'm already done with.
>>
>>4581645
>Not everyone here is like that.
the evidence suggests otherwise.
>>
>>4582669
Its a problem specifically because you are playing easy games like Salamander so there is nothing to engage you when you master them. Easy games end up being more frustrating to me than harder games because of that. Harder Gradius games keep you focused with difficulty and rng, and later shmups have elaborate scoring systems to make early levels exciting if you are willing to take the risk. GnG has a bunch of rng too.
>>
>>4582726
After the first few stages become too easy, start to focus on playing them for score so you can get more lives and thus have a better chance later; you'll also get more warmed up to the harder parts. Most games feature extends.
>>
>>4578957
the fact that you read that and assumed i'm an underage fresh off the boat from watching no scopes on youtube kinda proves my point
>>
>>4577080
Is the JP version still hard? I mean it can't be as horrendously unfair as the US version, but is it still really hard?
>>
>>4584695
To my understanding, it's still really fucking hard, but it's at least reasonably beatable.
>>
>>4584679
What I said doesn't necessarily imply underage, there are plenty of older guys too conditioned by modern gayming.
>>
>>4582669
Arcade games are damn well designed and there is always some tension because even if you have strong skilll in a level you can still easily fuck up. This is especially true if the stages have any RNG. Mistakes are very costly as you health is scarce and you might even lose power ups. Even top tier players have bad runs on early stages.
>>
>>4584679
its not about age it's about misconception and attitude, you have a defeatist lazy anti investment approach to learning because as someone who's never done it you don;t have personal evidence of the pay off so deem it a worthless pursuit.
>>
>>4585524
With some exceptions of relatively dull early stages for experts or after many replays, this is true.
>>
>>4585459
>What I said doesn't necessarily imply underage, there are plenty of older guys too conditioned by modern gayming
not me tho

>>4585551
that's a whole lot of assumptions also.

>>4579456
>Shadow Dancer
so it's not just me? I swear that game is more retarded than GnG, by a wide margin. it never seems to get talked about compared to the other Shinobi games (or the MD/Genesis game)
>>
File: AdvBatman_Joker.gif (19 KB, 320x224)
19 KB
19 KB GIF
This game works on an "arcade" type lives style. Pretty tough game because of how many baddies on screen at time trying to fuck your shit up
>>
>>4586841
This is a run and gun / shoot 'em up, not much platforming here. And since it's not an arcade either I don't see why bring it up. Cool game, though.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.