[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 309009_front.jpg (57 KB, 640x639)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Was this patched yet?
>>
>>4583184
yeah, but I haven't tried it yet. still pretty cool that it happened. from what I've heard, it's the spiritual predecessor of deadly premonition.
>>
>>4583184
Yes?
>>
This is the second time this week someone has claimed there's an available patch when there isn't. What's up with that? What's happened is that the translator released their translated script (as text). This isn't an altogether uncommon thing to happen as part of a translation project but in this case I'm picking up the subtext that the translator and the hacker aren't getting along very well so sadly my instincts tell me that unlike the Zill O'll patch, this game's patch is not forthcoming.
>>
>>4583185
>the spiritual predecessor of deadly premonition
>spiritual predecessor
You are this autistic.
>>
>>4583243
what's wrong with it? deadly premonition is the spiritual sucessor of mizzurna falls. that means MF is the spiritual predecessor of DP.

if I said something wrong, I apologise. I didn't mean to upset anyone.
>>
>>4583234
>Another thing I learned was about some of the “codes of conduct” of fan hacking. Apparently, many fanhackers will make a point of not responding to any requests for updates.

>This may be the way it’s done in the fan hacking world, but I don’t belong to that world. I’m a translator and a fan of an obscure game. My work on Mizzurna has been transparently documented online from day one. I translated that game, and I’d love to see that translation put to use someday.

Yeah, no surprise there. Hacking/gaming/otaku subcultures are a seecrit club and so the people in that club get to be one-eyed kings of the blind. Then a professional translator dips their toe in those waters and is understandably not impressed.
>>
>>4583243
>I live on 4chan and can only speak in memes
>>
>>4583184
i spoke with the hacker in question that had his hands on the translation, the faggot has too much of a hardon for a resident evil game to even bother working on this. quite a shame, as i'd like to play it.
why hasn't anyone else contacted the translator i wonder? i'm sure he'll give the files again for someone else to pick up the slack.
>>
>>4583594
>the faggot has too much of a hardon for a resident evil game to even bother working on this.

I didn't know there were any unlocalized RE games. He sounds like a dumbass kid.
>>
lol EOPs is all I can say
>>
>>4583594
the files are on the website for anyone willing
http://projectmizzurna.tumblr.com/

>>4583654
they're working on an old build of re 2

https://youtu.be/iGPc01kwlrc
>>
>>4583243
There is nothing grammatically wrong with what that poster said.
>>
>>4583654
>I didn't know there were any unlocalized RE games.
The Dreamcast version of Code: Veronica X is the only thing that comes to mind as far as unlocalized Resident Evil shit is concerned.
>>
>>4583865
I mean I really would like to see RE 1.5 completed but it's been so long I suspect it's not even going to resemble the prototype any more.
>>
>>4583930
The prototype they were working feom is too incomplete, they had to move it to a new engine and are creating new rooms and event dialogue. Whatever it becomes it's gonna be the best it can be considering what references they have.
>>
>>4583282
Having been involved in this shit, the reason it’s a “seecrit” club is that it’s time consuming and thankless. Having know nothings around doesn’t help and only becomes very, very annoying. Even when there was a public IRC channel that was ran, we still had a private channel to discuss the meat and bones because some jackass guessing at solutions to hacking problems doesn’t help. Sometimes progress won’t be made for days or weeks. These people have their own private lives. Jobs, families, whatever. There’s a reason most people involved in these projects don’t mix with the NEET autists too much.
>>
>>4583282
>>4584104
Look up Crimson Nocturne as a reason why.
A very active fantranslation group that wanted nothing to do with the hobby anymore in a matter of a few years after so many of their "fans" shit their inboxes, forums, and IRC requesting the game NAO.
"Too wussy for the internet" you'd say, but anyone doing an unpaid thankless moonlighting translation job and on top of that it turns out to make their lives much more miserable would do the same thing when his buttons are pushed too far.

It takes a lot of time and effort as is.
Tomato was almost religiously dedicating most of this free time to Mother 3 and that still took two years.

Fantranslators know they can't do it very quickly like moonrune-illiterate weaboos want it, yet know they can't reward begging for updates, patches, exclusive sneak-peeks, whatever, so they shut their clam, try and ignore anyone begging for updates and when it's done (since they can't answer that) or try with varying degrees of success to futilely discourage it.

FUCKING LEARN JAPANESE, at least if you're a weaboo don't half-ass it. Not just official translators but even hobby translators can and would often make up shit or change it if they feel like it.
>Fire Emblem Thracia 766: all internet maymays and translator said he got tired translating it
>FE12: they wanted to rename someone Vergil randomly because it's so kewl
>DeJap and J2E put fucking fanfiction theories in translations
>Final Fantasy 4's "accurate" retranslation "editors" took it and messed it up, talk about missing the point
>Daikaiju Monogatari: he used ROM space dedicated for NPC speech to profess his love for G. W. Bush foreign policy and talk about his opinions on US politics at great lengths
>etc etc

How miserable is your life so that you wait so many years that could be spent learning a new language for that?
Some will never be translated anyways bc technical reasons
>Tokimeki Memo
>My Summer Vacation
>Sigma Harmonics
>PCE-CD, all of it
Get over it.
>>
>>4584349

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Tokimeki series that makes it a technical challenge? Just seemed like a standard 90s VN from the GCGX episode, there's plenty of those translated.
>>
>>4584404
>Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Tokimeki series that makes it a technical challenge?

The codemonkeys for all four games including the PSP ports were insane and used hardcoded text scattered everywhere with horrible text rendering routines. Some say Mother 2 was bad, but it's nothing compared to this. Another one is the first two Sakura Taisen games (not the Russian PC port).

I am convinced no translation will ever be made for those unless text recognition tools are polished enough for retro low res bitmap moonrunes and the soft sub approach is taken, just like the idea Eiji Aonuma mentioned when asked whether translated retro Virtual Console games are possible.

For the same reason I don't expect that Dragon Quest Monsters 1 PS1 version (not that it matters since it's on 3DS now) that hardcoded Japanese grammar in the graphical text rendering routine, or most of the PC Engine CD or few Sega CD Jpanese exclusives to all have "dubs" (that, or leave audio untranslated) and translations. The few PCE-CD games worked on right now (Xanadu, AnEarth, FEoE1) are already taking forever to be done in part because of those dubs.

>Just seemed like a standard 90s VN from the GCGX episode, there's plenty of those translated.
Maybe from the DS and PSP era. Those were far more straightforward to figure out. Used sane encodings, more uniform solutions, have standardized filesystems and good debugger emulators (ppsspp and no$gba, not that desmeme trash), etc.
I can't think of a single translated "VN" that's not on PC-98 (and that's slightly different) from that period barring a machine translated full width terranigma-style one for that Evangelion Rei dating sim that never got finished properly, or a lone Famicom Tantei game. Metal Slider Glory is getting released soon however but that's for NES.
>>
File: 1451043499522.jpg (162 KB, 959x721)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>4584349
Here's a crazy idea. What if when you start making a fantranslation you wait until it's nearly finished before announcing it to anyone to avoid all that kind of shit?
>>
>>4585554
I need external validation to keep going.
Too bad that with the praise, also comes the begging.
>>
>>4584349
>How miserable is your life so that you wait so many years that could be spent learning a new language for that?

Well, it's not like these people are doing literally nothing but waiting for these games to be translated. Learning Japanese is an endeavour that takes quite some time and effort which not everyone may have.

Been learning it for like six months now and I still can't read anything that doesn't have furigana (and even then I have to look shit up often). Particularly for SFC games this becomes even harder because the kanji may be harder to read due to the low resolution and there's no voice acting to help you get an idea of what might be meant.

Not that I'm regretting it, but I can see why not everyone would want to put in the time and effort.
>>
the game doesn't even look that good
is it just for the Twin Peaks wankery? How many of those do you need?
>>
>>4585723
it's not something you saw that often on the psx and I like some other games from the same makers (clocktower, firemen and S.O.S. all for the SNES), so I'm interested
don't really care about the TP thing
>>
japanese is the most stupid language to learn. if good games were in greek or turk or finnish i'd happily learn that but spending 2 years on an alphabet alone is a very worthless thing to do
>>
>>4585554
Here's a crazy idea. What if you just let lazy fucks wallow in their own ignorance? Not the anon you're replying to but I've worked on translation projects and had the same experiences. But since I don't need validation from retards I just said fuck it and stopped.
>>
AFAIK Gemini showed some work on his twitter back in the beginning of August (twitter.com/rebehindthemask).
From what I gather the reason the script was released is because they weren't so much a team beyond dumping the text and her translating it so there was no real reason she'd expect him to finish it and no guarantees that he'd do so either.
>>
>>4585554
they wouldn't get all the attention they crave maybe
>>
>>4585772
You don't first learn the syllabaries and kanji and only then switch to learning the language itself, anon.

Besides, I don't think Turkish will be much easier to learn.
>>
>>4584104
None of that explains why the ROM hacker couldn't return any of the translator's emails. They were working together. That's unprofessional behaviour.

>>4584349
So, what are you saying—that I'm right? Those seecrit clubs include those same mannerless fans. And it's because they all have a chip on their shoulder about being nerds.

I'm absolutely thankful for the work translators and programmers do to patch a Japan-only (or French-only, etc.) game. My suggestion would be to leave the toxic communities of ungrateful "fans" behind. Tumblr is far from perfect, but if you look at the notes for that Mizzurna Project blog, everyone is being super supportive and patient.

There exist mature adults who play English-patched video games.
>>
>>4585984
>unprofessional

That's the thing, though. These projects aren't usually professional, they're side projects of people with lives and jobs. They do it for free, so to speak.

Not saying that it's okay to do this, but I get the impression that often these things get picked up by people who have free time and the assumption that it won't take that much time. But it drags on, that free time becomes less available, and quite often there's also tensions between different members of these groups.
>>
>>4586018
And besides the games are often fucking shit.
>>
>>4585723
this has little to do with TP. Its an adventure game with a realtime clock. The main idea is to be in the right time in the right place so lots of trial and error
>>
>>4586361
gay
>>
>>4586894
no u
>>
>>4586894
>using gay as a derogatory word
Looks to me like you're on the wrong side of history, son.
>>
>>4585815
You seem really upset about that post my friend.
>>
>>4586945
>>>/v/
>>
>>4583185
>it's the spiritual predecessor of deadly premonition.

ugh
>>
>>4587054
>any post I don't like is from /v/
>>
>>4587109
?
>>
>>4583249
I think what
>>4583243
is upset about is the idea that a spiritual successor is such because it captures the spirit of its predecessor. However, there cannot be such a thing as a spiritual predecessor because at that point, there is no spirit to capture.
Not sure, but don't sweat it either way.
Also, I can't fuckin wait for this patch to be released.
>>
>>4584349
What's the technical reason behind Tokimeki Memorial not having a translation?
>>
File: 1488082984633.jpg (185 KB, 512x384)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>4585554
>Announce translation project
>It should be done by X date
>First year progress pretty good
>3 years of barely any updates
>Suddenly "STOP ASKING ABOUT IT!"
>We decided to close the project
>>
>>4585561
Wouldn't that make you the real beggar then?
>>
>game is taking so long to be patched that EOPs are slowly turning on it and saying "i-it's probably not even fucking good anyway"
LOVING
EVERY
LAUGH
>>
>>4586969
Nah. Not even upset about the cunts who caused me to leave the translation scene anymore. In hind sight they did me a favor.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.