[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: secret_dorry1.jpg (511 KB, 2000x1300)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
Any ideas or leads on some secrets we haven't found yet?
>>
There are no undiscovered secrets left, we mined them all up years ago.
>>
File: rainbow coin1.jpg (53 KB, 674x503)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>4716405
>There are no undiscovered secrets left
>>
File: piano14.jpg (236 KB, 1400x861)
236 KB
236 KB JPG
>>
>>4716412
Did we not know about Rainbow coins already?
>>
>>4716436
there was a new rainbow coin that was just discovered last year. is even better when you realize all the 100% speedruns are now void
>>
>>4716438
Those coins don't add anything to the games percentage though
>>
>>4716396
How about a lost one? Super Player Mode in Super Mario Bros. I'm keeping that secret for now because fuck the doubters.
>>
>>4716432
DON'T GIVE PANNENKOEK ANY MORE IDEAS!
>>
Yeah man I was just about to give up on my hunt for Pikablue in front of Cerulean cave when one day my item finder got a reading. I'm still looking even now.
>>
>>4716432
It wouldn't surprise me, I've playee the game countless times and only just recently discovered that you can escape Chuck-ya grabs and kill those Snowmen
>>
>>4716396
Considering how much this game has been played and apparently picked apart, chances are extremely high that this behavior isn't in the game at all. It isn't unheard of for elements from prototype versions to find their way into documentation for the game but to not actually exist in the game itself (such as the mock-up screencaps of nonexistent levels on one version of the US SMB3 box, reference to Subworld Hearts in the US SMB2 manual, grey ShyGuy in the DokiDoki Panic manual). As for the in-game text, they probably just neglected to update it when the behavior was removed.

Or maybe it was a bit of throwaway flavor text that the people writing the guide read and referenced in their description assuming the corresponding behavior to exist, but never actually confirmed it themselves one way or the other.
>>
>>4717554
You mean the Berserk Gene?
>>
I've figured it out. It's an extremely rare glitch that can occur if you fuck about with Dorrie's head animation. Basically if you quickly get to the spot where her head will drop the physics might end up calculating that Mario is colliding with geometry at certain speed and needs to take damage. It's obviously very specific and difficult to pull off but because it can happen (happened once to me as a kid) and the devs couldn't figure out how to debug it they just left that sign as a way to cover their asses.
>>
>>4717480
the point is that there are still things hidden in retro games
>>
>>4717721
Wait, what?
Can you post a video showing this in action?
>>
>>4717923
If they don't show it, it sounds like they're saying that if you somehow get under her neck before it drops, damage from Dorrie will occur. I'm not sure how to do that or it's even possible, but I don't doubt that it can be done by some means.

Am I wrong, anon? You mentioned you did it as a kid, and many would write you off for such a statement, but my experience with video games gives me no choice but to believe you.
>>
File: WTH-Hausu-Piano.jpg (58 KB, 500x350)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>4716432
>>
>>4717568
>you can escape Chuck-ya grabs
nice subtle troll
>>
>>4717963
I'm not sure, if they mean the throw that the king does on Mario in the first level, yeah, you can get away from that. If not that, I don't know.
>>
File: chuckya.webm (2.67 MB, 1920x1080)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB WEBM
>>4717963
>>
>>4717986
People didn't know this? I knew that in back in the late '90s.
>>
>>4717480
it does mean that every "I FOUND EVERYTHING WITHOUT EXCEPTION" run is now proven incomplete
>>
>>4717721
What? Dude, make that into a webm.
>>
>>4716396
When I was about 4 or 5 my parents used to play this game every night trying to get every star, I swear on my life my mom (who was really bad at the game) actually was eaten by Dorrie and I can never repicate it. I recall she was standing on Dorrie's head when it happened
>>
>>4717986
>>4717995
News to me.
>>
>>4718506
>really bad at the game
>standing on dorries head

Your story doesn't add up, because that's not actually easy to do.
>>
>>4716438
What's funny to me is thaty brother and I found that one on accident as kids, but we didn't know it was some huge thing the speedrunners didn't know about.
>>
>>4718532
exactly right. you can't exactly walk up its neck either, it's too steep.
>>
I remember unlocking Luigi for Mario 64 when I was a kid.
I don't know how I did it though. Mario just turned into Luigi at some point.
Luigi played like Mario but he jumped a bit higher and had a different voice.
>>
>>4718532
>Ground pound on worries back
>Head lowers to stand on it

What's wrong anon? Bad at video games?
>>
>>4718617
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory
>>
>>4718613
Ground pound it's fucking back you cashew brain
>>
>>4718613
Yes, you can. It's not easy, but you can walk up its neck part way. You can also maneuver Mario to be on its face. It takes a few tries because at first you'll just fall into the water. I guess I'm going to have to take a crappy picture, huh?
>>
>>4718527
I can't believe so many people didn't instinctually press jump, punch, and the control stick to get away. I'm not even sure how it's done because it's so easy.
>>
>>4718635
Here's the problem with getting into the supposed position that allows Dorrie to damage Mario, once you hit its back to lower its head, Mario is instantly frozen for a bit onto its back. I'm not sure how it's done, but no one in this thread has actually stated how to do it, not fully anyway.
>>
>>4718641
You can ground pound on its back and the head will lower, allowing you to walk on it's head
>>
>>4718652
I know...but you can also walk up its neck a bit without doing that, but not much is what I was saying. Everyone knows you have to stomp its back or you never get the star.

I'm betting that Mario and Dorrie have to be near shore for it to happen, using the shore's polygons as fodder to bounce against and otherwise cause the glitch, if it's a glitch.
>>
File: coffin boo2.jpg (234 KB, 1439x1016)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
what is this?
>>
>>4718802
It appears to be a red circle created in Paint.
>>
File: letter-mario-64.jpg (181 KB, 864x891)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
hes just talking about the sound we usually hear when kicking a wall, right?
>>
>>4716396
>summon the eel into the submarine room
Jesus christ, how horrifying.
Also Unagi isn't in Dire Dire docks, he's in Jolly Roger bay.
>>
>>4716412
That was NOT a secret. I didn't find it as a kid but I've seen way to many people say they did after that story cam out.

>rainbow coins are worth 25
>speedrunners think the game has 975 banana coins total
>speedrunners are too stupid to stop and think, gee, maybe's there's a missing rainbow coin

And the coin was not THAT hidden. It's in a mound in the grass in a place you frequently walk back and forth over. People found it, but no one thought to notify the wider speedrunning community.

It's like how there's a Shock Jump Disc behind the entrance to Click Clock Wood, which you can tell is there by the metalic sound you footsteps make when you walk over it. It isn't impossible to find, and some people found it. But it's obscure, so it's not well documented.
>>
>>4719364
This lmao.
Most "speedrunners" have never actually finished the game properly.
>>
>>4717986
>this kills the analog stick

I swear some games were just ploys to break controllers
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_eTLXxA9m4
There's actually a hidden ghost laugh in Big Boo's Haunt that no one has an explanation for.
>>
>everything has been dissected to death!!!
Amazingly, even the most popular games of all time still have things to be found. I imagine there's still a whole lot of stuff in slightly more obscure games we have no clue about. Maybe there's a giant ejaculating floating cock and balls in Journey to Silius that we'll probably never find.
>>
>>4718802
It's where you unlock luigi
>>
>>4719887
Tents in Super Bonk 2 have interiors.
Idk how to get inside legitemately though.
>>
>>4719865
That's just the Bowser/Boo laugh without the pitch modifier the game puts on it in real time. Boo laughs are playing constantly in that level and some mishap caused the game to not pitch it up for one of them.
>>
Dataminers are absolute cancer. They'll destroy everything.
>>
>>4721041
>implying half of the clues to the real secrets are not considered "just glitches"
See GTA series for more information
>>
>>4719865
holy shit ive been looking for this. im downloading it before Nintendo removes it from the internet
>>
>>4716396
>she might hurt you
>dont becone his lunch
Dorrie confirmed tranny?
>>
File: pole_tinyhuge3.jpg (404 KB, 2200x830)
404 KB
404 KB JPG
>>
>>4723269
It's probably a clue that you can get money by running around the post a couple of times.
>>
>>4723326
But that's the one post in the game that doesn't do that.
I think the devs were having a laugh.
>>
>>4723269
You run around it 3 or 4 times and coins come out
>>
>>4723467

Not this one.

I did a 120 star run and high score challenge a few weeks ago. First time in over a decade. Spent forever making it to that pole and I can confirm it's the only one that doesn't give your coins.
>>
>>4721041
They'll never defeat Digimon World.
>>
>>4718278
Were there any runs like that for DK64? Most 100% runs just counted the percentage on the title screen, and that hasn't changed. It's not like the sidequest in FFIX that only just got noticed by the community at large a few years ago.
>>
If there are secrets to discover, they'll be obscure things in lesser played RPGs.
>>
>>4724873
You mean games like Dual Orb II?
>>
I know General Leo can be resurrected, a kid in middle-school told me he did it, why would he lie
>>
>>4718652
https://youtu.be/wlEuVQ09iuY
Arin literally does it at 3:42, and he is quite bad at the game, or at least very impatient and had luck this one time
>>
>>4724873
yea, Dual Orb II probbaly has some hidden stuff.
>>
>>4724836
i thought that too, but could have sworn i rechecked and now it does. ill upload a video if I can

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.