[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Why are the N64's graphics so shitty? I'm not even talking about the polygons, everything just looks so blurry and washed out. Even PS1 and Saturn graphics still hold up so why are these ones so bad?
>>
>>4965818
If you want to cry like a faggot, you can get a gameshark and turn off the Vaseline filter
>>
You're probably referring to the hardware anti-aliasing that was built into all games with CRTs in mind. You can disable it in emulators or on real hardware through a game shark code.

The N64 also has a smaller texture cache than PSX or Saturn so in general its textures are lower resolution but it has a better ability to accurately manipulate and render those textures - gimmicks that will be more obvious with the AA filter disabled.
>>
>>4965818
Weird I don't remember my N64 rendering in widescreen at 1080p
>>
>>4965836
a classic shit post from a classic shit tripfag
>>
looks better than ps1 on a crt
>>
>>4965818
Your picture looks like from a shitty emulator so there’s your reason.

>>4965836
Anti-aliasing has nothing to do with it. N64 blur is caused by internal scaling and dither filtering. VI De-Blur mods eliminates the former, and the latter is on balance a good thing.
>>
>>4965818

N64 looks way better than ps1 warpy shit
>>
>>4965836
>N64 also has a smaller texture cache than PSX or Saturn
Its texture cache is double the size of the PSX one (4 KB vs 2 KB) and Saturn doesn’t even have one. Dumb trip poster.
>>
Somebody post those screenshots of SM64 and Conker with turned off texture filtering. The texture/pixel size varies so much that it looks very bizarre.
>>
>>4965846
Why are you responding to yourself without a trip?
>>
File: suzuki.jpg (45 KB, 661x386)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>4965818
>1920x1080
>>
>>4965818
here we go
>>
>>4965845
Donkey Kong 64 had a widescreen option, retard.
>Optional hardware support includes a widescreen mode
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_64
>>
>>4965969
So did Jet Force Gemini but on modern displays it's non-anamorphic so it doesn't display correctly

conclusion: OP is faggot
>>
>>4965969
>missing the point this hard
can you please also show me where it advertises the 1080p resolution support?
>>
File: 1513209632094.jpg (77 KB, 400x551)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>4965818
*takes a pic of a tv screen*
>why are the graphics so shitty?
>>
File: filter.jpg (13 KB, 229x220)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>4965969
>anon jr thinking widrescreen = HD resolutions
>>
>>4965824
Not OP the fag, but I own a n64 gameshark. You can turn off the bilinear filtering??
>>
The N64 has beautiful graphics, far better than pixellated/warpy PS1 ones and lol at comparing it to 3D on a 2D system like Saturn. Even if sometimes the N64 doesn't look that great I can't believe people would fall for a shitposting as obvious as OP.

The game D64 looks beautiful. Play Angry Aztec or Crystal Caves and just walk around inside for a while, meeting the crocodile guys, they look stunning.
>>
>>4966003
(continued)
Also as pointed out you would have to be mentally disabled to think that was a real screenshot.
>>
>>4965818
Because it is a 3d system from 1996. You need to be a pretty good artist to make anything look decent from that.

> Even PS1 and Saturn graphics still hold up so why are these ones so bad?

They don't, really. 3d Saturn games are hideous, quads are ugly, and Playstation texture warping is nauseating.
>>
File: 1533756073018.gif (1005 KB, 320x180)
1005 KB
1005 KB GIF
>>4965818
>1920x1080
>>
>>4965818
>Even PS1 and Saturn graphics still hold
lmao
>>
>>4965895
>anti-aliasing has nothing to do with it
oookay, I guess they just wanted it to look blurry for no reason
>>4965917
You know damn well that the bottom line is the N64 cannot lay down as high resolution textures as effectively PS1 and even Saturn (although it can scale and rotate them more accurately)

I wasn't even being particularly critical an the N64IDF is on full pedantic damage control.

The BOTTOM bottom line is that there's only a hand full of games on N64 worth playing and most if not all have them have been polished up so well for emulation that you're mostly wasting your time messing with an actual N64.
>>
>>4966619
Gramps, you've made too many mistakes in the past, giving out outright wrong information, as well as being a self-proclaimed N64 hater.
At this point, don't be surprised to get called out for shitposting on N64 threads.
>n64 emulation
See what I mean?
Just keep to posting fics about doing drugs and having multiple girlfriends, at least it's amusing.
>>
>>4965846
rude
>>
File: mgs vs oot textures.png (1.79 MB, 1000x3000)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
>>
File: 90s Party 7.jpg (38 KB, 400x270)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>4966638
My grievances with N64 are completely justified and nit-picking attacks on the technical language I make them in is typical of the non-rebuttals I get. The N64 has a hand full of amazing games in limited genres but it's easily the worst ever Nintendo console they didn't pull the plug on.

Also it should be pretty self obvious that I'm a big swinging dick by the standards of nerd circles so I can only assume you're unfamiliar with the garden variety nerd bird (currently endangered but extant in passenger-pigeon tier flocks back in the day)
>>
>>4965818
It didn't look so bad on a 19" CRT in your bedroom
>>
Fuck off, DK64 did have a widescreen mode.
>>
>>4966679
>My grievances with N64 are completely justified
They are not, you just repeat the same kind of shitposting many other anti-N64 people do, except you use a trip so it's even more obvious. Mind you I'm not even a big N64 fan, or a big fan of 5th gen in general, but the times I've seen you trash-talking the N64 always came off as very ignorant, someone who haven't really played the N64 much outside of the 1st party titles and popular games.
Also the fact you recommend N64 emulation, but that might be bait on your part.
>Also it should be pretty self obvious that I'm a big swinging dick by the standards of nerd circles
You're really not, but yeah it'd be preferable if you keep posting about how much drugs you did when you were young rather than talk video games. As I said, at least it's amusing.
>>
>>4966713
>at 1080p
This is the important bit, junior.
>>
>>4966694
>19"
Oh hey look at the rich kid.
>>
>>4966724
I had a 29"
(my dad repaired electronics)
>>
>>4965818
Hey nice troll thread.

The antialiasing was a cool feature. It prevented 'stair-stepping' on diagonal lines.

There's also the low texture cache, which can lead to small textures being super stretched out and blurry. But a lot of good games layered the textures to make them interesting. For example in Goldenye for the tiled areas they had a a really stretched out background texture, then they drew the lines between the tiles over the top using a texture with low bit depth, so that the lines looked crisp.

Also the N64 did mipmapping, so it would fade between textures depending on the distance of the camera. For example, also in Goldeneye, you can see this really well on the egyptian stage as you move close to the walls and see detailed heiroglyphics.
>>
>>4965818
Yeah, the N64 graphics have always looked like shit. PS1's generally hold up way better even when they look a lot less detailed and more primitive.
>>
>>4966003
>Play Angry Aztec or Crystal Caves and just walk around inside for a while, meeting the crocodile guys, they look stunning
They really don't, you nintenbabby
>>
>>4966809
>PS1's generally hold up way better
They really don't, 5th gen 3D looks really bad unless you're using an SD display. But PS1's 3D is still full of incorrect perspective and texture warping even on SD.
>>
>>4966714
ok.

>>4966806
Dude they're still melting down over me saying that like eight hours ago. Let them recover.
>>
>>4966831
>me saying that
Except you spouted misinformation, that anon didn't.
>>
>>4966831
Saying the N64 has a small texture cache is much different from saying it has the smallest texture cache of its contemporary systems.
>>
>>4965969
That image in particular is stretched 4:3 though, double retard.
>>
>>4966619
>oookay, I guess they just wanted it to look blurry for no reason
No, I’m saying the anti-aliasing had nothing to do with the blur. Nobody knows the real reason the N64 does internal scaling of the final image which is one of the two major causes of blur. The dither filtering on the other hand is done for a major reason, and that reason is to increase perceptible color count (N64 internally renders at 24-bit color, reduces it to 15-bit color when stored into memory, and the dither filter attempts to reconstitute it back into 21-bit color at the cost of blur).

>You know damn well that the bottom line is the N64 cannot lay down as high resolution textures as effectively PS1 and even Saturn
No it can’t lay them down as *easily* as those two consoles, since it has a lower individual texture size limit. But the actual draw speed is higher on N64, so a sufficiently well programmed game (think Conker) can draw more unique texels per frame than any PS1 or Saturn game.

>N64IDF is on full pedantic damage control.
Way to reveal your bad faith posting though
>>
>>4965917
The PS1 has a smaller texture cache, but it can use textures directly from VRAM. On N64 every individual texture has to be able to fit in the 4 KB of texture cache.
>>
I like the blur. Sometimes I make my crt a bit blurrier depending on the game.
>>
yep, is the "let's shit on the n64" season again
>>
>>4965979
Incorrect. DK64's widescreen is anamorphic. So is GE's and PD's and Banjo's. Jet Force Gemini's is not, however.
>>4966812
The lighting in Crystal Caves is beautiful. DK64's use of coloured lighting borders on a fetish.
>>
>>4965818
Because Nintendon’t
>>
>>4965845
>>4965895
>Your picture looks like from a shitty emulator so there’s your reason.
>>4965952
>>4965980
>>4965993
>>4966332
Were you Nintendo fanboys mass-produced with the same factory ADD? I'm not even OP and I can tell he just took a screenshot from a YouTube video running the game on a real console. You could have said the video quality was ass and proved him wrong but no, you had to point out autistic shit like the widescreen stretch and 1080p which is of couse his PC resolution. How fucking bonked in the head do you have to be?
>>
>>4965818
What's that? You want this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wvKRA7jkCQ
>>
>>4967439
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dldJv9yZEp8
>>
File: hdmi.png (1.07 MB, 936x667)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB PNG
>>4965818
install an hdmi mod if you want to upscale it.
filthy liar.
>>
>>4967430
A real N64 wouldn't have those hideous compression artifacts. Just saying.
>>
>>4967447
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6orhckbI7w
>>
I always wondered why technical illiterates always come up with convoluted and often wrong theories about why N64 games are blurry (muh anti aliasing, muh texture filtering, etc) but have you ever considered that N64 games might just be blurry because some of them run at an abornomally low resolution?

Low resolution = blur no matter what. It’s not like Nintendo engineers sat around a table and went hurrr let’s gaussian filter the shit out of the console’s image in a way these idiots actually believe happened.

Here’s a tip. What resolution do you think Banjo-Tooie runs at? 320x240 right? Wrong. It runs at 304×226. The fact that it looks as sharp as it does despite being a literal sub-LD resolution is actually a credit to the N64’s image processing capabilities, not the opposite which is, as I say again, these mouth breathers actually believe.
>>
File: 1445705557585.png (34 KB, 298x268)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>4967450
>A real N64 wouldn't have those hideous compression artifacts. Just saying.

It's not like composite video isn't one huge compression artifact. Yes, it still wouldn't look as bad as OP's pic, but that's probably due to the way it was recorded/encoded, plus Youtube's own compression at work.
But isn't this what I said? Why not say the video was compressed beyond belief instead of ranting in chant about 1080p? It's so much stupid I'm still on the fence about this whole thread being an elaborate troll.
>>
>>4966679
Please blog.
>>
>>4965818
> Even PS1 and Saturn graphics
> look mom! i'm shitposting about things I know nothing about
absolutely hilarious.
>>4965997
yes, but it doesn't remove the filter entirely.
>>4965979
> conclusion: OP is faggot
100%
>>4966619
>>4966645
is there a day in your life when you are not being a compulsive liar? and you wonder why people think you're dense?
>>
>>4967516
>yes, but it doesn't remove the filter entirely.
It doesn't remove bilinear filtering at all.
>>
>>4967518
imagine being this wrong? kek
https://assemblergames.com/threads/is-it-possible-to-disable-anti-aliasing-in-n64-games-via-gameshark-cheats.59916/
>>
>>4967528
>imagine being this wrong? kek
Yeah, it applies to you more.

What the Gameshark codes do is the following:
-Removes the VI dither filtering (reduces blur but introduces a shitload of banding)
-Remove the second stage of anti-aliasing (doesn't reduce blur, just makes edges unnecessarily jaggy)
-Removes the divot filter (creates pixel-size artifacts on the internal edges of some polygons)
-Removes the gamma dither (produces banding)

Notice how none of these include the bilinear texture filtering on textures? You are a moron.
>>
The hard reality is that people who shit on the N64 are just shitty people.

There are many games that were graphically outstanding.
>>
>>4967640

I consider myself truly neutral as far as console wars go, and Nintendo cum guzzlers like you are BY FAR the worst ones.
>>
>>4967646
> neutral
> calling people cum guzzlers

choose one
>>
>>4967698

Nah, I really am. Nintendo fanboys are like liberals. They ignore facts when they're not convenient, and live in delusion.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.