[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 18.jpg (71 KB, 730x532)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
getting ready to start a small game project. I'm not sure how far i will take it, but it seems like something right up my alley.

I want to make a SNES shadow run style Resident Evil clone for gp32/gp2x. I know a bit of c++ and usually program in python. ive made a few clone games like pacman and pong etc..

anyways, I was wondering if this is a good place to update people. i really dont know anywhere else to post updates... no, i dont use reddit, fuck reddit!
>>
You fucking moron. You post updates on a homebrew project, all you'll get is a Cease & Desist letter from Capcom and maybe Nintendo too. You wanna release a homebrew game, you make 100% of it in silence - no updates, no screenshots - and then just dump it onto the net once you're done and it's too late for any lawyers to stop you.
>>
>>5043473
besides the fact that im going to be making a 100% original story loosley based off of the events in the arklay mountains, how and who would send me cease and desists? I will be making my own graphics and music. it will be in the style of shadowrun, but wont use any assets from either game. are you mental?
>>
>>5043473
Legit advice if you're running your own website dedicated to the project. How are they going C&D him on 4chan?

Also, Tor was built for this stuff.
>>
>>5043464
Seems like a fun concept. Came up with any characters? Who is the protagonist?
>>
>>5043473
You can't copyright a style of game.
As long as he doesn't call it resident evil or shadowrun, an instead bills it as an "Isometric Shadowrun-style Zombie RPG" and makes it uniquely distinct, there's no worries.
>>
>>5043483
He's setting it within the Resident Evil franchise, reconfirmed >>5043479
That's all it takes.
>>
>>5043479
for the record, it will be written in the vein of kurt vonegut and harlon ellison style of science fiction, mixed with the resident evil story. obviously different enough to not be misconstrued as RE but an homage to it!
>>
>>5043486
its not going to be set in the arklay mountains, but in the deserts of nevada instead!
>>
>>5043464
nah this isn't a good place to update people.
pretty sure this is against the rules of the board. like we don't talk about The Messenger even though that's deeply inspired by Ninja Gaiden. This board is only for games released on platforms before 1999, so if you were making this game for Dreamcast it would be okay, but not for contemporary PCs or GP2X.
Romhacks and remakes are okay but this is none of those. Just a retro style indie project.

Also, like other anon's have said, you will run into legal problems if you use "Resident Evil" in any way, so just rename stuff.

This is better for the amateur game dev /vg/ thread or better yet, tigsource or some other game dev forum that's not on 4chan where everyone is a cynical asshole.

Best of luck anon, that sounds like a fun game.
>>
>>5043482
i have a skeleton of ideas going atm, but nothing set in stone. im thinking a flower that when its pollen is fossilized and mixes with water will create a toxin that once ingested by desert wasp who injects its young into a turantula, because of the toxin, the wasp larvea become a parasite that works similar to the mushroom from the last of us, but it will not become a spore. it becomes a hive mind as all the larvea mutate into one eldritch like mini abomination that takes over the brain of the turantual like lymes disease. the fossilized pollen slowly mixes with a local water source in the the high colorado desert that the wasps use as a water source.. maybe thats
>>
>>5043464
>>5043503
Also, I wanna add that it sounds like you will probably experience "first big game syndrome" which is common among indie devs. Basically every indie dev will tell you to start small, and work your way up to bigger projects, and that they all regret jumping right into their "first big game"

It sounds like you have started to do this with your clones which is great, but there is a very big leap between a pacman clone and an RPG. You will have to create or pay for all the art, sound, music, etc. along with designing & coding a game that is fun, balanced, and bug-free.

That is a lot of work/money for one person, regardless of their game dev experience.
>>
>>5043503
cool, i didnt know vg had that stuff.

the only reason i posted this here, is because it will be retro "themed".. not that stupid fucking pixel look though.
>>
>>5043519
>it will be retro "themed".. not that stupid fucking pixel look though.

still against the rules, just a heads up cause this thread will prolly be pruned soon.
interested to see how it looks if you're not using pixel art, will it be lowpoly 3d?
>>
>>5043514
this is the first good question!

im not worried about time, i know it will take 7 to 10 years perhaps to get a nice beta going. I will be making all the graphics, music and story... i am much better at music than any other thing, followed by art, then programming. i used to make little games as a teen using gamemaker, multimedia fusion, rpg maker 2000 and others. I used to be a graphic designer for an app company, and i have been playing music since i was 12. I just wanted to put all of my passions into one little quirky fun thing that i can work on over time. i love archaeology, music, art and programming. so thats why im doing this specific game! also i love resident evil and i fell like i could have a nice indiana jones or tomb raider archeaology motif amidst the horror aspect!
>>
>>5043530
it will be pixel art, but not that stupid fucking 8bit look just for the sake of 8bit nostalgia bullshit, alot of indie games do.
>>
>>5043539
i imagine that's what a lot of indie devs say lol
>>
File: fleshchasmer.gif (107 KB, 320x240)
107 KB
107 KB GIF
No matter how hard you try you won't make another fleshchasmer(gp2x game).
You should go to /vg/agdg

This is not a /vr/ topic.
>>
>>5043548
i actually have been playing that, its so funny weird, but ultimately un appealing for storyline. great wierd 3d gameplay for the gp32 though!

i have been debating on whether or not i will use the gp32 sdk or the fenix runtime. i might try a both out for a bit.
>>
File: sage.gif (14 KB, 93x31)
14 KB
14 KB GIF
>>
>>5043473
He never said he was going to do anything that would infringe on any copyrights.
>>
>>5043552
You should look for raspberry pie or Chinese clone(cheaper) board instead of gp2x. More ppl will enjoy your game.
>>
>>5043560
well, considering i might be making it in the fenix runtime. i might optimize if for dreamcast. IF, i even finish this project in the first place... IF!
>>
>>5043562
so that makes this a /vr/ topic now!
>>
>>5043464
Well that sounds like a good idea for a retro style RE game actually as far as how it should play. Will it be using sprites though or some weird looking polygons?
>>
>>5043473
But then you won't get people sucking your cock and stroking your ego as you slowly dole out screenshots, then get pissy when they stop giving you compliments and take your ball and go home.
>>
>>5043464
Describe your game in a way where you don't have to name drop successful products and maybe I'll give a fuck.
>>
>>5043539
Show me your pixel art so I can laugh
99% of indies says this and it's consistently terrible
>>
File: REhome.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
Some do not care about copyright.

You do well not to use any reference in history or anything else to other games, Good luck OP with your project

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.