[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: poquimonsesnap.jpg (749 KB, 2098x1536)
749 KB
749 KB JPG
what the appeal of this game?
It's pretty boring
>>
Zeitgeist cash in on the anime craze at the time.
>>
The whole franchise bores me, if you disagree with a fucking passion, you belong on >>>/vp/ than /vr/.
>>
Because seeing Pokemon in a cool original 3D world for the first time was dope as fuck. The whole appeal of Pokemon, or for me at least, is traversing the rural land and seeing cool shit, like a safari park or explorer. This game appeals to those sensabilites very well, and additionally the player himself becomes an important character using his own wits and skills on the world and Pokemon. Like the original game and early anime, this has an untamed and wild feel.
>>
>>5152695
You HAD to be there in the 5th or 6th grade in 1999 living in suburbia with your juice boxes and gushers.
>>
>>5152793
This.
>>
>>5152695
For me it would be the nostalgia
However the game itself was very unique for its time and although it wasn't really the greatest of games it still has it's moments that makes it semi fun to play.
The music is relaxing, not intense to play and the game is completable within an hour or less, something that would be interesting to play when stoned
>>
It's an interesting concept and execution, and is oddly cathartic, even though you will probably get 2-3 hours of enjoyment out of it.
>>
Can you even fucking imagine a modern day open world pokemon snap? I think I would just straight up die, friends.
>>
File: 1470079384203.jpg (108 KB, 500x950)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>5152695

Its basically a Pokemon rail shooter, but thats actually a really good thing.

I was a nature/ bug freak as a kid, so most of the appeal was being able to see and interact with Pokemon (animals/ monsters) in a natural environment.
Seeing the damn things outside of being forced to fight each other was really cool when you saw a "rare" one or witnessed a "natural" evolution in the game.

It was really neat and something we will probably never see again.
>>
>>5152818
You're supposed to play for score.
>>
File: gX3GbtA.jpg (52 KB, 406x730)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>5152695
Its comfy and you could print stickers of your photos at blockbuster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNUFjFYOQHU
>>
>>5152793

I lived it
>>
>>5152793
I was there but I had a PlayStation. Was jealous as fuck of the N64 kids
>>
OP is an absolute zoomer. Not everyone had a camera in their pocket in 1999. It was a novelty to take a picture.
>>
figuring out the secrets was the shit.
>>
>>5152793

the 90s!
right dudes?!
>>
>>5152793
Nah I played on the 00's and it was.amazing to see Pokemon on their habitat, you just meed to have taste
>>
>>5152793
Rad.
>>
>>5152793
Truth.

It was amazing in the time, especially when you could go to a GameStop and amaze younger kids when you know all the tricks, like getting a Charizard or calling more Vulpix to come.
>>
>someone gave the green light for this cover art
>>
>>5153409
the box art is awesome, wtf are you on about?
>>
It is a rail shooter but there's more than just shooting pictures, you're constantly interacting with stuff in the enviroment, be monsters or objects.
You can complete the game by shooting all the 63 pokemon in the game and completing the report, but there's the extra point challenge. All courses have a top score and you kind if have to get good to beat them. If you want a really good score you have to maximize your course, do all the multitasking required to get each pokemon in the place and action you want for you to take pictures of them. Plus you need to be careful with the photos, you can only take 60 or so. For people who really liked the concept of the game, there is some extra meat you can chunk out of it before dismissing it as too easy or short.
>>
>>5152695
throwing things at snorlax's big tummy.
>>
i don't get the score system
>>
IIts like going to a safari but with Pokemon! What's not to get about it? It was the coolest thing if you were remotely into Pokemon and in my opinion it's still interesting because of that novelty. I always secretly hoped they would release a game like this on the Wii U with the controls, it was a sorely missed opportunity.
>>
>>5152695
all the different secrets and the novelty of only being able to even notice each one of them for a split second, i guess
>>
>>5155495
You get points for each picture taken if they're in frame. Then you can add extra points by Oak's ratings.
You need to manage the 60 photo stock you have and use it effectively to try and get the best possible pictures, without wasting a single one.
>>
>>5153434
The Japanese box looks like a disposable camera box
>>
I never liked pokemon. Not that I DISlike it, but I was 18 in '99, so it never got its hooks into me.

I got Snap not too long ago and its cozy as hell. Thus game couldn't have been made for any other system or generation. It fits the 64 so well (for better or worse).
I enjoy it a lot for what it is. It's fun to see all these creatures doing their thing and then you get to affect the scenery too.
>>
>>5155825
The actual idea behind Snap is actually quite good. It just happens to be about Pokemon, but it could be about random animals and it'd still be good.
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (23 KB, 300x225)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>5152885
Still have my pikachu card from related pic. Shit was tight.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.