[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: VLC1.jpg (88 KB, 1217x702)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
Hi guys, I want to use a program (prefrably VLC) to convert .mkv files. Most of the stuff I need to convert is subtitled which is where I run into issues. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
The files need to be converted into .mp4's as the Playstation 3 is an awkward piece is shit and won't accept anything else :v
>>
>>535811
Use handbrake
>>
>>535812
trying it out now, chears if it works
>>
if your mkv has compatible video/audio streams with mp4 (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14#Data_streams ), you can use avidemux without needing to do video encoding
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/
(you might lost your subs, though, if they're softcoded)
>>
>>535816
currently trying out handbrake since it seams to have converting .mkv's with subs as a feature, will try your suggestion out if it doesn't work though ^_^
>>
>The files need to be converted into .mp4's as the Playstation 3 is an awkward piece is shit and won't accept anything else

In my experience, I've never gotten PS4 to even play subs on my movies. I've experimented quite a bit too.

I've streamed over network shares, played directly off of a usb, tried MP4 and MKV, tried embedded subs as well as external .srt files and still haven't gotten it to play subs with my videos.

What have you tried so far?.
>>
>>535828
Whilst I can't speak for how mp4's perform on the Ps4, the handbrake program the first anon suggested seems to have worked. It "burns" the subs into the frames (I think)

I remember trying to play a file on my friends ps4 and couldn't even figure it out. Seams weird that you are having trouble with subs in movies (assuming your talking about dvd/blurays??)

Anyway give this program a try, seams good.
>>
>>535828
Can you actually get any file types to play on the Ps4? Even without subs?
>>
>>535836

>It "burns" the subs into the frames (I think)

Oh yeah. That will definitely work. You'll be ok for sure if you do that.

I don't consider that an option because...

1)don't want to waste effort re-encoding
2)don't want to lose movie quality through the encode
3)don't want a permanent movie where I can't turn off the subs

>>535837

I can get pretty sure if I remember mp4 and mkv, I think even avi and mpeg2. I forgot exactly which formats, but it has pretty decent compatibility with the typical files. Audio is less compatible because half the time I get no audio so I do eventually have to re-encode the audio to make it play. As far as subs the system seems to always ignore them.
>>
File: eg.jpg (106 KB, 1580x884)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>535839
>2)don't want to lose movie quality through the encode
Not sure how much quality it really loses with this method, give it a try with a short HD file. Pic related is how my 108p file came out looking.

>3)don't want a permanent movie where I can't turn off the subs
Seams like the only way to be honest. Aslong as what you're watching is in english (and if you don't always watch with subs) why would you need to turn them off?

The program seems to work great, except it takes while. I think it took 15-20 mins to convert my file but I guess you can always leave them to work in the background, the program actually has a feature where you can set it to turn your machine off when its done, so you could set it to convert when you go to work or sleep.
>>
>>535844

>Not sure how much quality it really loses with this method, give it a try with a short HD file. Pic related is how my 108p file came out looking.

Anime is a bad example for something like that because the detail is relatively easier to compress than details in regular movies. Also I'm a pixel peeper. I can't help it and I am at the point where I need 8 GB+ size movies in order to watch it. Anything smaller and I think "yuck" the ENTIRE time I'm seeing it.

>why would you need to turn them off?

Sometimes it's actually blocking what's in the frame. Also when it re-encodes INTO the video it doesn't look clean. It looks soft and just annoying and it really kills me when I have burned in subtitles COVERING another set of subs that are also burned in (like for a local language movie that has some scenes that are set in a different region and they still put the subs in there so you know what they say).

Usually when we want to watch a movie on the PS4 it's a spur of the moment and by the time I would have set up copied my movie and got it converted, copied it onto my usb drive, then got it loaded it would have been like 15-25 minutes in which we may not be in the mood or have something else to do.
>>
>>535845
I guess only foreign works are really applicable then :v
Try it out with a HD video of real footage if you want to see how it works, and convert what you want to watch ahead of time
Either you need subs or you don't
>>
>>535811
You can use ffmpeg to change the container around compatible media media, like so:

ffmpeg.exe -i input.mkv -c:v copy -c:a copy output.mp4

ffmpeg can look a bit intimidating, but in reality is really simple to use. Definitely recommend trying it for all your media needs. Static Win64 builds can be found at: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
>>
handbrake is best for converting shit to mp4
>>
>>535879

Not him but I prefer Vidcoder. It's based on Handbrake and still allows you to specify output file size which is a huge plus for me.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.