[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/x/ - Paranormal

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Hereditary.jpg (57 KB, 768x433)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
Seeing as the catalogue is full of perpetual shit as of recent, anyone want to discuss Hereditary?

That shit was fucking spooky.
>>
>>20930653
Normie memes? yeah, so spooky. *rolls eyes and smokes blunt flipping middle finger to OP*
>>
>>20930661

Please tell me that post was ironic. It was a good movie but the asterisks made me laugh so fucking hard.
>>
That was a good movie. It got me wondering it was based on a true story by the luciferians that run the world/ zionist controlled media
>>
>>20930653
Is it jump scare garbage?
>>
File: v9lxe.jpg (44 KB, 600x604)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>20930653
Is this an actually good movie, or is it one of those pseudo-artsy reddit tier "horror" movies like The Babadook or It Follows
>>
>>20930653
Seeing as the Hereditary is full of perpetual shit as of recent, anyone want to discuss the catalog?

That shit was fucking spooky
>>
>>20931572
It's a tribute/offering to paimon for wealth.
>>
>>20931874

No, there aren't any jumpscares really, it relies primarily on peripheral scares. Where the shot is positioned in a certain way where, when you're in the perspective of the character in the movie, you are unaware of the presence of any danger unless you look into the peripherals. It's a pretty good tactic and not really done enough. It's also scary in the sense that there's quite literally no exposition. You don't have any frame of reference as to what's happening that the main characters don't have so it helps to set an atmosphere that draws you in.

The visuals are also superb.
>>
>>20932497
Is it real horror or is it soi horror >>20932470
>>
>>20932470
It is good, occult themed, and not artist. I'd say there is symbolism and metaphor in the story/themes but you'd have to really read into it, it's not in your face le grief monster like babadook, but more like finding Freudian or Jungian psychology in a myth or folk tale
>>
>>20932470

Eh, depends on your definition of "reddit tier horror". It definitely has it's target audience and it plays off of the "Haunted demon house" trope pretty well as you can feel it sort of moving in that direction from the start of the movie but then it flips directly on it's head about midway through and takes a different avenue entirely, it's hard to explain but I thought it was a great debut film for the director.
>>
>>20932502

Like I said depends on what you mean by soi horror. If you're looking for gore and shots of demons eating children with vibrating ambiance, then no this movie likely isn't for you. But the film doesn't insist upon itself as an artsy film at least from my point of view. A lot of horror fans are pretty divided on this film so I really think the best way to find out is to watch it yourself. It's not a very long one only 2 hours
>>
File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (406 KB, 1920x1080)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
How come no other horror movie has ever managed to be as scary as The Ring
>>
>>20932525

The Ring was good but I couldn't help but look at it through nostalgia goggles. It's good but it's certainly not the best piece of horror film ever made.
>>
>>20932530
name a scarier movie
you literally cannot
>>
>>20930653
gtfo to /tv/
>>
>>20932534

I personally didn't find The Ring that scary. In terms of actual like compelling me to think about the film for weeks after the fact, I would say Blair Witch and the original 1982 version of The Thing.
>>
>>20932535
Why, am I interrupting your Succubus LARP threads?
>>
>>20932534
White chicks. Scariest. movie. ever.
>>
>>20932557
yup
>>
File: 1528985624362.jpg (122 KB, 640x1136)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
What's the best jump scare in the history of cinema?
>>
File: a38.jpg (75 KB, 1024x962)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>20932551
>Blair Witch
Can somebody explain the ending of this movie? I still don't get it.
Is it true that the witch was the one holding the camera at the end?
>>
>>20932594
>Blair Witch
the witch was killing the girl. the guy was facing the wall because the witch didn't like to be watched while killing someone
>>
>>20932594
She reunites with James in the attic and they try to barricade the door. A bright light shines from outside the building, moving until stopping at the door, indicating the arrival of the witch. James tells Lisa to face the corner of the room and desperately apologizes to her before the witch enters, alongside her creature. James is tricked into turning around, believing that he hears Heather's voice, and vanishes from sight. Lisa uses Lane's camcorder to view what is behind her and begins walking backward. However, hearing James' apology again, she turns, and vanishes, leaving her camera behind before it gives out.
Literally wikipedia you retard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_Witch_(film)
>>
>>20932655
I meant the Blair Witch Project. Not the new one.
>>
>>20930653
is it good?
saw the trailers, hailing it as ''the new exorcist''!
there is, imo, only one exorcist, but is hereditary any good?
if so, where is good to stream it online?
am in hospital, so cinema is out of the question.
cheers.
>>
>>20932662
Mike says he hears Josh in the basement and heads downstairs while a hysterical Heather struggles to keep up. Upon reaching the basement, Mike suddenly seems to get into a struggle with an unseen force, drops his camera, and falls silent. Heather enters the basement screaming, and her camera captures Mike facing a corner. The unseen force then attacks Heather, causing her to drop her camera and go silent as well. The footage continues for another moment then ends.
Still literally wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blair_Witch_Project
>>
>>20932664

There is no "new exorcist" it takes a new spin on the whole haunted house trope. It's pretty refreshing definitely a good film. I highly reccommend it if you like less topical "in your face" horror. Lots of Occult references, ties in to mental health issues with the family, you don't get any exposition as to what the "big bad" in the film is or anything, you quite literally know nothing (sometimes even less) than the main characters know and that helps add to the eerie feeling the film puts out. the visuals are just superb as well despite the films average budget.
>>
File: 1503094588014.jpg (182 KB, 576x472)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>20932594

they explain in movie that the blair witch kills victims one by one, and the last one always ends up screaming in the corner. The camera guy gotGot and he dropped the camera at an angle showing the girl pissing herself in the corner screaming just before the witch gets her last. You never see the witch and its a shitty deep breathing movie. as a kid my cousins would hype up everything and i was scared shitless of it all. The Blair witch and JeepersCreepers didnt make sense to me as why everyone thought they were spoopy

Since this is a spoopy film thread now, can someone rec me one? last movie i watched 2 days ago was the Village and thought it was alright. first half of the movie was suspenseful, shitty acting aside,
>>
>>20932741
Maybe I can rec something, what kind of horror do you like anon?
>>
>>20932745
suspense/ghosts/occult
thought the first Conjuring was pretty good even tho main stream. but i also like A Dark Song

The Ring is also on the list per this thread, never seen that one either
>>
>>20932757
Suspense/occult/ghosts are literally the foundations of the movie this thread was made to discuss. I would seriously recommend just streaming it online if you can. I think it's right up your alley.
>>
>>20932470
If you don't get Babadook, you shouldn't be on /x/.
>>
>>20932774

i know but i cant find any good ones lol
soon as i started lurking this thread i tried to find it
>>
>>20932680
thanks, that does sound good.
I like films like that, sure, it's good to sometimes have , as you put it, ''in your face'', but a creeping sense of doom. that's something no amount of effects can conjure up.
I definitely have to see this.
especially with the references to mental health, etc.
why did you put it so well, now am itching to see it even more !
as I said, not able to get to a cinema.hopefully, it'll still be on by the time i'm out of here.

have you seen ''under the skin'' (2014, A24 films), it is, imo, fucking brilliant, and the soundtrack, wow........
scarlewtt johansson is in it, and I never was re4ally bothered about her one way or another before that, but shew is incredible in this.
v. much recommend it.
as one friend I recommended it to said , ''zen horror'' (she has about 2 pages of dialogue the entire film).

usually I watch films on putlocker, if i'm streaming online, but I can't find hereditary anywhere.
>>
>>20932831
Oh yeah dude, Under the Skin should have come a cult classic but it's difficult to see it not getting the wide critical acclaim it deserves. If you liked that film you'll like Hereditary.

It's an A24 film that was given wider screenings due to popular demand so it's been cracked down on by copyright police, give it about a week for websites to be able to put it up without getting immediately slapped with a copyright notice.

As for your description of a "creeping sense of doom" I would say it's a pretty apt description but it doesn't really capture the essence of it. When you're watching the film it really unravels itself as a family dealing with perpetual tragedy, something very relatable to most people, and then by the third act it shows it's true colors in synchronicity with the family's descent into madness. But their descent into madness isn't fueled by spooky scary supernatural ghosts or anything it's fueled by familial despair. There was scenes where it's focusing on let's say Toni Collette (oscar worthy performance in this film by the way as per usual) and you'll just maybe see something in the corner of the screen? Not sure what is is? There's a lot of that sort of "maybe there's something in the corner?" but the film doesn't rely on that spooky horror to get it's message across.

The sense of dread and despair this film gives you comes primarily from the feeling that it's something that could happen in real life. If that makes any sense.
>>
>>20932534
Kys millennial
>>
>>20932882
it does make sense, and the grief aspect, I can relate to. my Ma, R.I.P, she died when I was just 5, and my Dad, he was suddenly left with a 5 year old child to bring up, while being extremely despairing himself, he lost the woman he loved, so he was obviously depressed, and already being bipolar (as I, apparently, am too, familial, so can deffo relate!), my Ma had cancer.any way, he did a great job as a father/mother bringing up a hyper little girl.
he also was extremely creative, made icons, and some carpentry, taught at the Sorbonne but that was before I was born.

He told me about drinking at ''Les Deux Magots'', a tabac that was frequented by Satre and De Beavoir.

Any way, I am ranting on, sorry, I tend to not be able to stfu.
Basically, yes! I think I can certainly relate to this.
My father & I were messed up by my Mam's death, but came out surviving. He developed angina, the heart complaint, and, aged 5, I developed ''selective mutism'' from the trauma, but that which does not kill us, makes us stronger (or, madder, as in mental-ler hahaa.), so...
looking forward to seeing Toni Colette's performance, and the girl's Milly? she loks like an interesting actress.
Agreed, Toni C is a fucking legend.

So you liked ''under the skin'', too ?
You seem to have a good taste for films.
Any other you can recommend?
I saw ''Beneath the Black Rainbow'', was good, but no UTS . Soundtrackk, superlative, though.
Have not seen ''Stranger Things''...any good?
>>
>>20933009
>millennial
Are you over 40 or underage?
>>
>>20933009
Kek
>>
>>20933018
no, they are clearly also millennial.
I am in the millennial demographic, generational-wise, but it is not so much the gen that is the problem as a certain group of that populous.
Just like every gen, it has it's pain in the arses, and , as a result, all millenials are being tarred with the same brush .
they are hipsters, or special snowflakes, they are the poxes.
>>
>>20933026
more like , KAK (afrikaans for shit).
>>
>>20933012

Uhhhm, I can't in good conscience recommend stranger things. My friends got really pissed at me for not enjoying it but I just couldn't get into the whole premise it just takes itself too seriously. I tries to have a sort of "It" and "Goonies" type kids ensemble but neither of them have either the team or individual strength to carry the weight of the plot. Which is a shame because the show itself has an interesting premise and the actors are fine it was kinda just like a puzzle where none of the pieces fit quite right so the end result is filled with these little micro cracks that are glaringly noticeable and serve to eject you from the experience. As someone else here has mentioned; Badadook is a great film as well if you haven't seen it.
>>
File: 1522110282307.jpg (48 KB, 789x702)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>20932589
>that fuckin face from The Exorcist.
>>
>>20933050
well, thanks for letting me know any way.
as I said, you seem to have decent taste, so I shan't bother with it.
the ''Babadook'', however, I haven't seen, so shall check that out, nice one.
it's annoying, isn't it, when all/most of the components of a great film/series is there, but they fuck it up somehow, usually by pandering too much to make it across-board audience friendly, if that makes sense.
some, based on books (I read voraciously), have been blandified or some such thing, and that's irksome.

the have made one on ''the passage'', a book I thought was quite good, but the teaser trailer makes it looj more like a running away on the road bonding film, that the sinister aspects that it actually has.
Any way, cheers for that recommendation.
>>
>>20932470
You sound like you don't enjoy anything so you probably won't like it
>>
>>20932775
and if you think the fucking Babalabdoodoo is a reason to start gatekeeping over, then you should apply some lead into your brain
>>
>>20930653
>Seeing as the catalogue is full of perpetual shit as of recent
>shitposts
Thanks for being a valuable part of the solution, faggot.
>>
>>20932589
The restaurant scene from Mulholland drive

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.