[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 15 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

4chan Virtual YouTuber Contest Final Round - 4chan Pass users can now vote on one of the top 20 entries!

File: maya.jpg (187 KB, 1280x720)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
Alright, I'm going to college next year and need a laptop for my 3D shit. I use Maya and am relatively proficient in it. What do you fellas recommend? (A laptop that won't crash on me every time I duplicate or some shit)

Budget- 1k (preferably under)

Also which colleges would you guys recommend/acknowledge that have good 3D Animation/Modeling courses?
>>
1. ask /g
2. college is a waste of money and time
>>
>>645306
>budget - 1k
lol that's not gonna work

anyways
>I use Maya and am relatively proficient in it
The only thing that matters is the GPU. Take your desktop specs, go to https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
compare against your current graphics card.

If you have a better graphics card, you can throttle it until the passmark score reaches the equivalent laptop graphics card (be sure to gimp the VRAM too if you know how to do that)

then do your usual shit in Maya and see if the performance is good enough for your needs.
If it's not, despite reaching your $1k budget, then you're shit out of luck.

I'm also obligated to make sure you know that ALL consumer brand laptops are trash and the warranty may as well not even exist.
Even if you approximate the passmark score, a shitty consumer laptop can have shitty cooling, leading to throttling.
They'll take less of a beating.
Customer support for warranty service will suck (business class laptop warranties don't even require talking to human beings)
They'll be more difficult to take apart and maintain.

You get what you pay for. $1000 is not a lot of money for a laptop.
>>
>>645320
Yep, this anon's all right.
A few more things:
Expect to pay twice the price than a desktop for an equally spec'd laptop, even in this day and age of advanced, far better gaming laptops.
A saving grace is that modelling is a very light workload compared to rendering. If you aren't doing rendering, then you're plenty good with many machines.
But $1k definitely will not get you far. You'll be able to scrape some 1050Ti (1060 Max-Q if you're lucky) machine with that money, but then you'll also get to face thermal throttling to the ass doing any CPU workloads. Just remember: the higher-tier the CPU listed on the specs, the higher chance it's going to be kneed in the gut brutally by thermals.
>bought some shitty 960m laptop a few years ago
>cpu: i7 6700HQ
>quad-core hyperthreaded, base clock 2.6GHz / turbo 3.something GHz
>not bad, not bad, should be pretty decent at handling multi-core, right? (note: was still back in 2016)
>nope
>100% cpu load makes it thermal throttle down to under 2GHz on all threads
Things are a little better nowadays with more efficient CPUs and thermal management tech, though don't expect smooth no-throttling sailing unless you buckle down and get one of those fucking massive 17" trillion-pound behemoths.

Of course, this is pretty fearmongering to some extent. Laptops aren't all that bad, just not worth the cash. If you manage to double your budget, you have plenty of decent options. The latest Razer Blade, Asus Zephyrus, Aorus Aero 15x, MSI GS65, if you're less "gamer" and just want something to get workloads done, Lenono's ThinkPad P series is a good portable workstation, list goes on. Hell, even Microsoft's Surface lineup would work. You just won't find anything good around the $1k line. At $1.5k proper things will start to trickle in, and at $2k is where you'll start to have all the good options.
>>
>>645306

>unironically using maya

are you a time traveler from the 18th century?
>>
>>645333

He's using Maya because his school is using Maya, as well as game studios. Time for a reality check blendie.
>>
>>645377
Wrecked
>>
>>645306
Consider buying a shit laptop for note taking and a desktop for the rest. Schools that teach 3d should have good computers anyway.
>>
>>645306
I graduated using a laptop that costs approximately USD300 in 2012

Rendering might take four times as long, but you only need to render at the tailend of your works, and either fucking way, your education should also include workstations to use, so you might be doing heavier work on those anyways.

Not going to recommend anywhere because I'm not American
>>
ThinkPad with external graphics card

Refurb ThinkPads are insanely cheap. 3.3ghz with turbo, 256gb SSD, no overheating issues (t430). $200+80 to bring it from 4 to 12 gb of ram since I do so much video work. If you need a performance boost check that you're able to but external GPU is an option and a dock is only like $60.
>>
>>645379
>>645377
samefag
>>
>>645495
>t. Delusional Blendie
>>
Your school should have a render farm for you to use.

If you really need to model on a laptop, you should remote to your desktop from your laptop.
There will be input lag (so if you wanted to game that way it'd suck for anything realtime like a shooter) but it won't matter for non-sculpting (might feel janky if sculpting, might not be noticeable).
>>
MSI makes beautiful, slim gaming laptops that are perfect for Maya.

Up your budget a bit and get a good one.
>>
>>645377
>>645495
>>>/v/
>>
>>645527
+1 for remote access. Rainway runs in chrome and has gotten pretty fucking fast/low lag since it entered beta. Just buy a chromebook and save hundreds of dollars and upgrading your home pc will now effectively upgrade your school one as well.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.