[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is Ghost Stories the only anime where people generally prefer the English version?
>>
Citation needed
>>
>>271536301
Death Note, OG Naruto...
>>
>>271536301
Cowboy Bebop was practically made for english dawg fym
>>
File: 1507858081551.jpg (58 KB, 500x563)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
No, little zoomer. There is a whole generation of nostalgia-fags who will passionately defend the dubs they watched on Toonami and Adult Swim - Cowboy Bebop, Big O, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc.

Also, Granny Goku is a big dealbreaker so lots of DBZ fans are dubfags.
>>
Baccano since the actors do the accents their characters would have.
>>
>>271536369
>>271536401
>>271536484
Listing random shit isn't the point of the thread
>>
>>271536301
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVkYediuSuw
>>
>>271536522
>is X the only thing where [trait] is good?
>no there's A, B, C, D, etc.
>REEEE THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF THE THREAD
Retard
>>
>>271536522
are you autistic LOL
>>
>>271536524
Are there people who actually think it was all improv?
>>
>>271536301
Golden Boy got a similar treatment to Ghost Stories
>>
>>271536301
If you prefer any anime in English then you are reddit.
>>
>>271536620
Ghost Stories would be completely, completely forgotten if not for the English dub
>>
>>271536301
It's one of the few good dubs.
>>
>>271536620
japanese nationallist born and raised in america speaking
>>
>>271536301
>>271536449
>Granny Goku
Women dubbing old guys is why I can't stand Japanese anime.
Besides Goku I can't stand Luffy and Rudeus Greyrat Japanese voices.
Old Man Rudy will probably be voice by Sugita like his inner mind but just imagine if they pull a Goku and choose Yumi...
I'm not an English speaker tho so I watch anime dubbed in my native language besides subbed.
>>
>>271536620
Ghost Stories predates Reddit (or 4chan, for that matter). The dub was a one-off work of insanity.
>>
>>271536449
ocean dub was way better than Shit Schemmel/Funimation will ever be. Now, the second I learned how much of a faggot Sean was, it's Nozawa all the way.

>>271536369
OG Naruto was fucking garbage with a ton of censorship. Calling Sake an Elixir and having Lee do the "Loopy Fist" is retarded. Lee also just sounded awful. You have to be 18 and have a frontal lobe to post here
>>
>>271536737
Sean's simping for copyright and trademark is so pathetic
>>
>>271536703
stfu reddit
>>
File: Spoiler Image (2.89 MB, 2097x3352)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB PNG
>>271536701
>OTs-12
Tiss, my beloved...
>>
>>271536776
I'd ask how you shittalked anime you didn't like before you could just ejaculate "reddit" onto your phone, but you probably didn't exist.
>>
>>271536620
I agree with a huge asterix. I believe you should watch any media in its original language to keep overall message.

Personally, I think FLCL dubbed is fine. They actually tried to stay true to the source material with that one instead of adding in dated references to GamerGate/Patriarchal Demands or whatever the buzzwords were at the time.

Also, and I know it's a movie, I thought Princess Mononoke was also fine watching it in English. I get that in Japanese they were trying to keep San's voice fair to lean into her being a princess but her more rugged English voice made more sense to me since she was raised by wolves. That and Eboshi being foreign and having the british accent worked for me, but that's on me because I'm not well versed in different Japanese dialect.
>>
>>271536812
Did you copy and paste your epic burn from your last Reddit post? Downvoted
>>
DBZ
>>
>>271536773
I know enough about myself to know that no one wants to hear me bitch about him, but his efforts to keep previous Goku VAs from going to cons is such a weak move. He acts like he's the best when it took him until DBZ Kai to pronounce Kaioken correctly.
>>
>>271536301
lots of people prefer english death note. there's a couple of scenes where it's straight up better than japanese
>>
panty and stocking dub is also better for similar reasons to ghost stories
>>
>>271537026
I don't even think he's good at all. He's just working with good material. His voice is really generic and can't communicate much playfulness
>>
File: team toguro.png (2.61 MB, 1758x1638)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB PNG
That dub isn't funny.
>>
>>271537050
>His voice is really generic and can't communicate much playfulness

Agreed. I think that's the problem with most of the Funimation staff. If you never watched them and can find them I would suggest the first 3 DBZ movies with Ocean dub. They have way more variety with the voices instead of "gruff, evil man" voice for everything

But Schemmel in general just gets worse as the series goes on. By Super he thinks "playful" is "acting like a retard and giggling"
>>
File: 1701971021503520.gif (424 KB, 336x252)
424 KB
424 KB GIF
>>271536620
Believe it or not a lot of people growing up were only exposed to dubs and the anime that aired on TV back then
I think I'd watched anime dubs for like 5 years before ever hearing them in Japanese when it became easier to find anime in other places than what aired on TV.
For nearly every anime made in the past 15-20 years I'd go for the sub but I really like the dubs of a lot of 90s anime.
>>
File: 1610755985077.gif (1.06 MB, 498x278)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB GIF
>And I thought the blindfold saber tossing contest was such a good idea
>>
>>271536301
>dragon ball z
>naruto
>yu yu hakusho
>>
>>271536737
They didn't do either of that in the dub you retard. Even the original airing on cartoon fucking network used sake and drunken fist.
>>
File: 924129136.jpg (123 KB, 1440x1080)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>271536301
some people say cowboy bebop but frankly I don't watch dubs and it has to do with personal irrational stupidity
I haven't been a avid anime watcher until very recently I cannot remember the first one I EVER seen which probably was sonic x or pokemon(at the time I only cared about cartoon network)
I watched The Laughing Salesman around a decade ago and some years after I decided on watching FLCL one random day couldn't decide if I wanted dub or sub watched some of both which I went onto watching both HXH adaptations the chimera ant arc was just painful and boring
I picked sub because of 2 reasons[1 being really dumb and the other was just convenience] and I tried watching other anime dubbed since then I haven't given a single shit about dubs.

my favorite anime at the moment FLCL Wolf's Rain Kill La Kill Mushishi Dororo[2019] and I still have plenty of anime to watch
anime I found to be just insufferable
code geass your lie in aprilyour lie in april is exactly what you think it is it's perfectly set up garbage drama the main character is nothing more than a punching bag and realistically the character would end up killing themself if not attaching themself to the least shitty person to them
>>
>>271537409
They 100% did and it was retarded. I was curious so I decided to see what they would do and watched the ORIGINAL airing.

https://forums.serebii.net/threads/naruto-english-dubbers-have-gone-loopy.293327/

post from 2007

https://youtu.be/kUSoWkGw7_g?si=2aKzkTFnkOUFo5Lb&t=63

video proof

https://naruto.fandom.com/wiki/Drunken_Fist

Check the Trivia section

https://www.thegamer.com/naruto-censored-internationally/
Check Number 1 at the bottom

The Naruto dub is fucking awful and you're a retard who is too stupid to google.
>>
I never understood the idea that the Ghost Stories dub was disrespectful
If there were some Brazilian or Chinese or whatever dubbing group that got the rights to Goosebumps or something and made it hysterical I'd watch it
>>
>>271537713
nuh uh
>>
>>271536301
It's remembered hard for the meme dub but I don't think it's right in the end to not be faithful to the source material. Bobobo-bo making silly jokes only English people can understand was a better way to go about it since it's a gag manga.
>>271536449
I think I'm in the same boat of only watching some animes in English if I grew up with it in English. Except like Yugioh and One piece since there's still lots of censorship everywhere.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (842 KB, 648x856)
842 KB
842 KB PNG
>>271537752
>>
>>271536301
I want to watch the original Japanese version of Ghost Stories raw since the idea that it flopped is a lie and it's apparently a pretty decent children's horror show but I'm having trouble finding it and can only find versions with unremovable subs or that stupid dub.
(it also seems shameful that official outlets like Crunchyroll only provide the dub)

I only really like the dubs I watched as a kid and I'm still okay with those ones despite new dubs being a problem for me, I'm not sure if older dubs had some kind of aspect that makes them more tolerable than new dubs or if I have been tainted by familiarity.
>>
>>271537983
Something about old dubs seem more natural as someone who didn't watch anime as a child
not sure what it really is be it lack of dub voice actors or there is too many characters that sound exactly the same or was it just that anime used to target older audiences?
>>
File: 1577075462036.jpg (30 KB, 720x541)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>271537054

YYH is one of the few samples from my Toonami days that I actually still prefer the dub for.

The dub gave the script a big punch-up and the dialog is both better written and performed.

The only thing you miss out on is Norio Wakamoto, but you can always swap tracks for the Chu episodes.
>>
>unironic dubspic thread
Just because your casual ass still hasn’t outgrown dubs doesn’t mean your perspective on it is accurate
>>
>um actually people prefer the dub mkay
this is never true lol
>>
>>271536301
a lot of old dubs are good
bebop, fma, etc
>>
>>271538949
I forgot about FMA! Yeah, Vic does a great job. That part where he seals his brother in the suit of armor is kino. Way better than the sub.
>>
>>271536301
A gag dub is essentially a different show. I liked the one for Duel Masters.
>>
>>271537983
Years and years ago there was a torrent that had the gag dub, the gag subs, and then the real subs as a third subtitle track. It's probably still around, but you won't find it anywhere legally.
>>
>>271536959
Keep typing behind the keyboard, chud. If you said this shit to me IRL, my oneitis's boyfriend would knock you the fuck out.
>>
>>271536301
Do burgers understand that no one gives a fuck about their dogshit dubs?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.