[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1505345947572.jpg (149 KB, 619x453)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>pet hamster ate her babies again
>>
>slurp

in all seriousness sorry op
>>
>>2480444
Have you considered putting her down
>>
>>2480444
Why are hamsters such absolutely horrible cunts?
>>
>>2480547
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_hamster
>(...) recent mitochondrial DNA studies have established that all domestic golden hamsters are descended from one female (...)
They can't help it.
>>
>>2480556
>mitochondrial DNA

well obviously..
>>
>again
you should have learned after the first time
>>
>>2480566

Obviously as in "obviously you'd have to check the mitochondrial DNA to see how many maternal lines exist in domestic gold hamsters"? At least I hope that's what you were trying to say.
>>
>>2480444
If you know she's going to be giving birth, increase her protein intake, both before and after, she's eating her babies because she needs energy. A cooled, unsalted hard boiled egg should do the trick.
>>
>>2480444
...and i'm sorry for your loss
>>
>>2480444
>again
>>
Natures gonna naich
>>
im sorry bro
>>
Rodents are fucking trash.
>have 3 pet hamsters
>one is retarded and jumps straight out the cage as soon as I opened it
>lands on the floor
>is bleeding
>pick him up to see how bad it is, end up taking him to another room
>hear screeching and madness from the room with the cage after a minute or so
>a tiny droplet of blood or the scent must have gotten into the cage
>this was the signal for the other two that Ragnarok had come
>went absolutely balls-to-the-wall berserk on eachother
>screeching, blood, and complete devastation inside the cage
>furry ball of blood, rage, and destruction wrecking shit all over the cage
>blood literally spurted onto stuff
>by the time I get there one is basically drenched in blood and dead while the other one is even more drenched and dying

At least the last remaining hamster made a full recovery I guess, but I honestly wouldn't recommend any of these fuckers to anyone unless they are looking to start their own Mortal Kombat tournament.
>>
File: 14938475149512.jpg (62 KB, 658x613)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>
>>2480444
this is the saddest thread in all of 4chan right now
we are with you
>>
>>2480444
hamsters eat their babies that have even the slightest human smell, and that's why hamster owners are cautioned against touching their newborns.
>>
>>2481693
>start their own Mortal Kombat tournament

Commercial hamster deathmatches? Hmm...
>>
>>2481885
Does this mean hamsters would automatically eat human babies if they had access to them?
>>
>>2481908
The winner gets to eat the losers' babies
>>
>>2481879
That's a gerbil you stupid fucking cat
>>
>>2481910
Their motive to eat their babies with human smells is to remove lives alien to them.
So I think they do try to kill a human baby if it enters their territory, but I'm not sure about the case they just encounter it outside the cage.
>>
>>2480444
Eat your own babies in revenge
>>
>>2481003
I would actually give mine insects for protein, did wonders for keeping the babies from getting eaten.
>>
>>2480547
Because under high level of stress, rodents kill their offsprings possibly to not waste precious resources trying to raise them.

With a good bed area, female and male separated, not harrassed, this should not happen.
>>
>>2480566
You do realize the mitochondria is not the only organelle that contains DNA?
>>
>rip
>>
>>2480444

>>2480444
Dude that's messed up
>>
>>2481693
fug u pet rats are based
>>
>>2480556
dat population bottleneck
>>
Don't breed your stupid pet?
>>
>>2482356
Based snek food
>>
>>2482234
good advice
>>
>>2480547
It's not rocket science. Hamster lifespans max out at about 2 years, and in the wild where they're basically walking chicken wings it's usually a lot lower than that. A hamster has a VERY limited amount of offspring it can produce in its lifetime, so if it feels the offspring are in danger of dying it's not gonna risk resources caring for them.

It sucks, but it's how they've survived in the wild for so long. OP was probably stressing her out, she thought her babies were fucked and panic-ate them.
>>
File: 1415059551123.gif (2.6 MB, 384x384)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB GIF
>>2481693

My sides: gone

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.