[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG-20180706-WA0018.jpg (132 KB, 960x1280)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
I have a 3 months old German Shepherd puppy that during the first hours of the day goes in a rampage. Biting and destroying everything that looks interesting, this behaviour I believe is normal for young dogs. He gets daily excercise and is never alone, which is of little help because when he's reprimanded most of the time he takes it as a game.

I've been advised not to slap him, instead I shout "no" and stomp my foot on the ground. Is this the ideal way of dealing with his behavior? Note that I only do this when he misbehaves, not when practicing obedience training as a negative reinforcement.
>>
>>2745483
>Is this the ideal way of dealing with his behavior?

the ideal way is to provide loads of exercise: fetch ball or frissbee, horsing around with other dogs, basic training of commands, running.

>which is of little help because when he's reprimanded most of the time he takes it as a game.

yes. dogs can not differentiate commands and screaming or light slaps from pets easily. you have to drill commands with clicks/commands issued the same way for them to work, consistency is key.
>>
>>2745492
I can't get him excercise first thing in the morning, even then his body gives out before he runs out of energy.
>>
>>2745501
any sort of disciplining that's not outright abuse during these "teenage days" of the dog is pointless as is basically translates to the dog as rough plate. release so energy with walking and play and then start you obedience training if regular commands loke stop, sit, wait etc.
>>
to prevent the rampage, give him more play sessions or practice obedience.
once he's in this crazy stage, you need to redirect him because he doesn't know that he's playing wrong. if he bites you, yelp like a puppy and turn away so he realizes he hurt you and reward him when he licks you or backs off. if that doesn't work, calmly and silently leave the room for a few seconds. you basically want him to understand that rough play means the game is over.
the "leave it" command is ideal if he's destroying something he should't be touching, or you can give him something appropriate to chew on and praise him for using the correct toys
>>
Teach what TO do instead of trying to correct him every time he does something wrong. Animals learn better this way.
Teach him about chewtoy training, mind games, impulse control, create training and exercise games. These will all help funnel that energy into appropriate behaviors while also teaching him other skills.
>>
File: IMG_20180704_213138496_LL.jpg (3.16 MB, 2268x4032)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
What do you recommend as treats? Smelly food seems to work best.
>>
If possible, try creating and practicing a morning routine. He probably ly won't respond at first because, as you said, he goes into a rampage, but if you take him through the same activities every day the same way, he'll think of it as a game and enjoy the stimulation. So, first thing in the morning, try to go outside to potty and play. Once he seems to settle a bit, then maybe you could try some simple training, tricks or games that you do every day, and entice him with toys. Hopefully after a week or so of doing the same exact thing every morning, he starts to follow the routine and he'll look forward to it.
>>
>>2745566
Freeze dried liver and a True Chews are my faves.
>>
>>2745566
My dog eats chicken necks and hearts try these they work well and she loves tuna aswell.
>>
File: IMG_20180704_213143169_LL.jpg (3.11 MB, 2268x4032)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>>2745574
>>2745578
Anything less messy? I take him to the park daily so he can socialize and carrying around frozen food or raw meat isn't practical. Maybe bland cookies or apple slices?
>>
Time out helps de-escalate rambunctious puppy energy, do 10-30 sec increments in a space like the bathroom (NOT the crate) until puppy with behave. Puppy has to calmly do a command, like sit, in order to be released
>>
>>2745566
I use fresh/frozen meat, they come in various form: like " beef face meat" that's scraped off of cattle heads and isn't fit for human consumption but is HQ meat still:
https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://shop.kopffleischexpress.at/Fleisch/Rind/Kopffleisch-I-0-5kg.html&xid=17259,15700023,15700043,15700124,15700149,15700168,15700186,15700191,15700201,15700208&usg=ALkJrhiaCW1OMdRIIWL1BS4UWbPz5FQ0Hg
https://shop.kopffleischexpress.at/Fleisch/Rind/

if you don't want to do that cooking up a thick bone broth and then sooaking kibble in that and freezing it after will make a smelly high value treat out of shitty kibble too.
>>
>>2745587
its very practical. you may have seen people with these bags on their belt to hold treats. I don't do that, I just have a small doubled sandwich bag with finely sliced meat in my pocket.
>>
>>2745587
There is dog meat thats like grinded up hearts etc thats stinky but cleaner by a bit mix that with dry dog food and that works
>>
>>2745587
You can buy freeze-dried, or get a dehydrator and make treats for a fraction of the price
>>
>>2745587
>Maybe bland cookies or apple slices?
if you want to pay loads for tooth cleanings and pullings sure.
>>
>he didn't inform himself prior getting this dog
>he doesn't know how to train and handle a GSD

OH BOY, THIS WILL END WELL.
>>
File: IMG_20180709_212833776.jpg (3.31 MB, 4032x2268)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
>>2745651
He isn't my first dog, but it's been so long since I had to deal with a puppy I rather inform myself on these issues. I also find it odd how fearless he is, most puppies I know of are very responsive to a loud stomp but this cunt thinks I'm fucking around.

I'll have to kick his ass to stablish dominance.
>>
>>2745683
>I'll have to kick his ass to stablish dominance.

OH BOY, THIS WILL END WELL.
>>
>>2745683
Please give your dog to someone who knows what they are doing before you develop this pup into a dog bite case.
>>
>>2745483
They need mental excersise more than physical most of the time.

Watch kiko pup and zac george on youtube.
>>
>>2745683
Dominance theory is bullshit, just google who came up with it, and how that guy himself even said it's wrong.

Germain shepherds were bred to be fearless-you need to redirect the energy to something that you WANT him to be doing, instead of the thing he is currently doing.
>>
>>2746016
>They need mental excersise more than physical most of the time.

that's garbage. the distinction doesn't exist, it's a cline. that aside cuck george's one size fits all solution to all problems is just playing fetch to tire a dog out which would be "physical" here (with some sort of training after if needed). I don't disagree but your statement is wrong.
>>
>>2745483
>I shout "no" and stomp my foot on the ground

Or what, you'll shout "no" again?

You have got to find a method to exert your will over this animal, or it will NEVER respect you, and be a pain in the ass its entire life. Don't be afraid to use personal contact in the form of a slap, poke, punch, or whatever, in order to get the dogs attention, as they do the same damn thing to each other. If you don't have the strength, courage, self control, or whatever, then you need to figure out some kind of punishment the dog would rather avoid than continue being an asshole.

>>2746021
>this faggot spewing their stupid bullshit in every dog thread

"Dominance" theory is only bullshit because limp-wristed pussy faggots made it out to be something it isn't.

Don't bother replying, because I don't give a damn what you think.
>>
File: 1500675862523.png (146 KB, 370x320)
146 KB
146 KB PNG
>>2746276
>physically harming a dog
>>
>>2746276
pls modz start sanctioning these trolls they are shitting up this board will all sorts of trollcrap.
>>
>>2745483
Vicious beatings are best. Ideally strangle the dog until it urinates in fear after the beating is finished.
>>
>>2746331
>implores mods to ban different opinions as "trolls"

This isn't your personal hugbox, tumblrina.
>>
>>2745483
I had a relatively well-behaved dog without ever once hitting or manhandling him. He would "attack" bigger dogs on walks (wasn't friendly) and he didn't know anything besides "paw" but he was toilet trained and whatnot. That's all you really need.
>>
>>2746356
Oh yeah and he never destroyed anything so idk. Bichon frieze shih-tzu mix. Smart but stupid.
>>
>>2746372
Would you love your dog eating your hand you fucking idiot.
>>
>>2746356
>i trained my dog
>proceeds to explain a complete lack of socialization
>>
>>2745683
>I'll have to kick his ass to stablish dominance.
Naa, just bite and hold his scruff
>>
>>2746605
To be fair, some dogs just aren't meant to be around strangers. I used to have a very well trained great Dane I used to take to the park since he was two months old and he wouldn't let other dogs or kids near him. He grew to be very attentive but selective with who he liked.
>>
>>2746901
That's not how it works, retard. You, or the person who had him before you, didn't let the dog have enough positive experiences with children or dogs before 4 months of age. That's why that dog didn't like children or dogs.
>>
>>2745683
>I also find it odd how fearless he is

He has literally no idea what a GSD is - Confirmed.
Another pup that will land completely fucked up in the shelter soon. SAD.
>>
>>2745537
I disagree with this. When a dog is learning it's normal to have to say No a lot. I probably said it 200 times a day when I first got my dog. It works as long as the dog knows what it means and that after a few times of saying it of he doesn't listen you will physically stop the behavior. Whether that means taking something away from him or picking him up and taking him to another room, whatever. No is an important thing.
>>
>>2746935
>I disagree with this. When a dog is learning it's normal to have to say No a lot.

when you are a dipshit who did not bother to read up on the last 30 years of animal behaviour studies and training then yes, that's normal.

>I probably said it 200 times a day when I first got my dog.

great. I usually need less than 100 repetition to teach my dog a totally new command. see how inefficient your shit is?

>It works as long as the dog knows what it means
>It works as long as it works!
>Real Communism has never been tried, real Communism works!

t. literally you

>and that after a few times of saying it of he doesn't listen you will physically stop the behavior.

lele

>Whether that means taking something away from him or picking him up and taking him to another room, whatever. No is an important thing.

what you do not understand is that "no" is a highly abstract concept that your dog has no chance in hell to understand. say:

>your dog is barking at people passing by the fence
>say NO
>nothing happens
>say SIT!
>dog looks at you and sits
>because it was trained to do so
>incidentally it stopped barking
>but not because it understood NO to mean cease (barking)
>but because it's attention was diverted from barking to SIT

this is what happens when people train NO like you suggest: they sneak in a SIT or something else as a response to the NO command without even realizing it which the dog performs and thus stops the unwanted behaviour as an accidental byproduct. this does not however mean that the dog understood the abstract concept of NO.
>>
>>2746905
>all dogs are the same
How can it be possible for someone to be this retarded?
>>
>>2746999
All mammals work this way dude. Do you not know about developmental stages?
>>
>>2746999
>some dogs just can’t be around strangers
fucking lol a dogs only purpose on earth is to work/live alongside humans. if a dog is aggressive to people, someone fucked up during the training or socialization period
>>
>>2747031
>>2747058

This is so wrong it's funny. Some dogs have an overly developed sense of protection caused by genetics, same reason not all German Shepherds are picked for police work, some tend to align to towards different characteristics that may not be favorable.
>>
Why does your dog's ears not stand up yet?
>>
File: IMG-20180711-WA0002.jpg (87 KB, 1152x864)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>2747084
Lil nigger is taking his time, half his siblings already have em standing, him and another pup are slowly erecting their ears but there is progress, hes about to be 3 months old so I'm not worrying about it much.
He's being fed good food and taking his vet assigned vitamins, can't do much more than that.
>>
>>2746947
>t. Karen Pryor worshipper
My dog has no problem understanding that no means to stop doing whatever retarded shit he's doing. My previous dog also knew that no = stop
>>
File: 1524232203519.jpg (435 KB, 750x1334)
435 KB
435 KB JPG
>tfw this much tryharding
I always just kicked my dogs or slapped them with a belt and they turned out allright.
>>
File: 1531437127460.png (13 KB, 500x500)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>2745483
>Gets a dog and doesnt do any research on what to expect for a certain breed
These are the type of owners who end up sending their dogs to the shelter.
>>
>>2747080
I'm being trolled hardcore here. I'm about to start posting under a trip to educate this fucking board about dog behavior.

You are wrong. Most of the posts in this thread are wrong.
>>
>>2747804
Oh so you're wrong and a faggot.
>>
>>2745683
Based
>>
>>2745483
Don't let it run too wild, OP. You will increase the chance of having serious hip issues if your puppy overextends his playtime.
>>
This is what happens when angry white trash gets a dog they can't handle.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.