[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Turdus-migratorius-002.jpg (360 KB, 1350x1024)
360 KB
360 KB JPG
Hey I could use some advice.

Some birds nested in my apartment corridor over a month ago. I saw the mom and dad bird rear four hatchlings.

It's been a little over a month since they've hatched and 3 out of the 4 siblings seemed to have permanently left the nest. I saw them come and go with increasing frequency.

However there is one hatchling left. They don't seem to have a lot of energy and just hangs out in the nest for the most part all day it seems. One of the parent's at least is still watching over the poor thing. Is there anything I can do to help?
>>
So you're saying it's spending part of the day in the nest and part out? Once fledged, it should be out. Realistically though, if a parent is parenting, it's doing a better job than you. No bird is going to spend too much resources on one chick when there are multiple clutches to be laid.
>>
>>2746514
>birds can be NEETs too
>>
>>2746514
I know shit about animals besides browsing /an/ but it sounds like its the runt. Not all the birds have to live, unless nature wanted an exponential amount of birbs.
like i said, i don't know shit, but this seems rational that runt = dead, and doesn't require your help
>>
>>2747592
But when humans take over the care of runts, which nature allows to die, they frequently grow to become large healthy specimens.

OP I say just keep an eye on things. I don't know how good a look you can get at the nest, but if he's not out within a few days of all his siblings there might be something wrong with him.
>>
>>2747604
I really think there is. I don't think I've seen the nest empty at all today. I see one of the parent birds watching out for him but that's it.
>>
>>2747625
Maybe he just needs some extra time. Maybe now he's the only one left he will benefit from his parents undivided attention and become much stronger and healthier. If not, I say try and sneak a closer peak. He could be blind or have an infection or something.

You said he has successfully left and returned to the nest before?
>>
>>2747661
more than few times I've seen the nest completely empty

now the little guy stays there a lot now
>>
>>2747699

Then he must be perfectly mobile and there is no reason for you to interfere. Let nature take it's course. Hell, at this point it's possible you've been bamboozled and this is a second clutch or it is a common cuckoo chick which will often laze about taking continued parasite parent hand outs.
>>
>>2747714
Could be its just being a brat and doesn't want to move out quite yet.
>>
>>2747727

Yeah, that's why I suggested it could also be a cuckoo. They're biological turbo brats.
>>
>>2746514
Do you know how to do a suplex
>>
>>2747714
i was thinking maybe the bird hurt himself or something. I never see him leave. None of the other sibling birds have returned. The bird looks more like a sparrow to me than a cuckoo but I haven't gotten close to it. I just got a glimpse of the head and tailfeathers and they look like the other sibilings and parents except for the orange breast
>>
>>2747787

Sounds like it could be a cowbird then. Same deal as the cuckoo. They'll stick around making host parents feed them. If it is a cowbird, don't be surprised if it spends another week on the ground being 4x the size of the parents but still making them feed it.
>>
Just an update. I got a closer look and it looks more like one of the parent robins more than the fledglings. I got my cell phone w/in 3 feet and the bird just started flying around and I just backed away.

I guess one of the parents is a NEET now or something

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.