[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: telamonia.jpg (23 KB, 542x305)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Official /invert/ discord server: https://discord.gg/28V2Yua
Old: >>2815207

This is the invertebrate general. If you have any questions about invertebrates, want to look into owning one or more, or want to simply discuss them, this is the thread to do so, whether its

>Tarantulas and other spiders
>Myriapods
>Mollusks
>Crustaceans
>Insects
>Or anything without a backbone

Feel free to post it.

Resources/help and information

>Tarantulas
https://tomsbigspiders.wordpress.com/beginner-guides/
http://www.theraphosidae.be/en
>Mantids
http://www.mantisonline.eu/index.php?lan=en
>Phasmids
http://www.phasmatodea.com/web/guest/home
>>
>discordfag just HAD to be the one to make the new thread, and put the discord link as high up on the post as possible
Kill yourself.
>>
>>2836735
Old thread was bumped to bump limit with low quality posts just so the discordfag could do this as well.
>>
>>2836739
Reminds me of the Democrats who think everyone who disagrees and dislikes them are Russian bots or have been influenced by Russian bots.

Discord advertisers are a plague on 4chan. Might as well advertise your reddit pages as well.
>>
>doing this shit on purpose to advertise you super special OFFICIAL discord circlejerk
>>
>>2836730
You do realize your habit of shitposting the threads to the bump limit just to post a discord link is why people are shitting on discord right? Let the shit reach its end naturally fucker.
>>2836739
The last posts prior to the bump limit were back to back nonsensical shitposts. /an/ might be declining in quality but there's no way in hell that could be anything but intentional.
>>2835981
Make no mistake, he ate like a champ before his molting into maturity, now I'm just waiting for the unfortunate day I wake up or come home to him in a death curl. Not looking forward to it tbqh since he was the first T I ever got. I suppose if there's one silver lining to this it's that his skittishness and speed make me feel at least marginally more prepared to jump into getting a p.regalis when the time comes.
>>
Honestly at this point someone might just have to save a general template so that when the discord faggot starts bumping the thread to its limit they can post a new thread and we just overlook the limit not being reached to deny this cunt their precious OP link.
>>
discordfag strikes again
they need to have discord links flagged as spam desu
>>
File: DSC_0323.jpg (3.99 MB, 4208x2368)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB JPG
Moved to Japan south of Tokyo and there are these big fuckers that like to set up along my pathway out my front door. Anyone know what they are?
>>
>>2836823
just google search japan orbweaver and see if the results match.
>>
>>2836759
Why not advertise him to anybody looking to mate a mature female? I get why he might be sentimental, but the chance of getting slings from him would probably be better than a few extra months of time with him.
>>
File: 1007181505-min.jpg (1.37 MB, 4160x3120)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
One of a total of four new ts I got at an expo today. Look at those giant chelicerae lol. Also got my first old world and went big with a really small h. Mac. I hear old worlds grow a lot fast than new worlds. How accurate is this statement? Total haul consists of an a. Chalcodes, h. Mac, gbb, and a p. Cambridgei. All of their housings went smoothly and they've all already eaten.
>>
>>2836774
Other boards' staff delete it on sight. /an/ is the only one that seems lax about it.
>>
>>2836774
The spam on the other board just so he could could make a thread to shill is pretty assholic and only makes us dislike him more. Nobody defends discord fags here, if there was a majority vote discord links would be banned in this general.
>>
>>2836924
The last thread I meant to say, not sure why I said board.
>>
>>2836924
Shit happened with the last /herp/ general too. Fucker got beat to the punch with the new one and threw a hissy fit before posting three links to his little discord.
>>
>>2836912
>Also got my first old world and went big with a really small h. Mac
>Diving straight into old worlds the baboons
The absolute madlad. Congrats on the haul though, looking forward to seeing how my Chalcodes grows, even if it is slightly overshadowed by my GBB's impending demise.
>>
>>2836912
>I hear old worlds grow a lot fast than new worlds. How accurate is this statement?
On the balance, probably true? Though really if you want to know about growth rates you should really just look it up by species or genus. There are plenty of very fast growing new worlds out there.

In your particular case H. maculata is on the slower end of growth rates.
>>
>>2836991
Nigger people always complained, who gives a fuck if some people use it? Bumping a thread to a limit just so a link can be posted in the new one is a scumfuck move.
>>
>>2837012
now you're blaming /aq/ posters for flooding the end of a general to post the discord link?
>>
>>2837024
So what you're saying is discordfags are ultimately to blame for dividing /aq/ general by constantly shilling their fucking discord until it pissed off other people enough to make them ruin everything? If that's the case then either way discordfags are to blame.
>>
>>2837038
Doesn't mean we should then have to put up with discord posters intentionally end a thread and throw a bitch fit if they aren't quick enough to post a thread with a fucking link.
>>
>>2837038
I mean who goes this far out of their way to spam the last 20 posts of every general and post the new OP. It's ruining good conversations.
>>
The entire discord attitude on /an/ is retarded. People can't just ignore the link in a general for some reason. You also have people that make a new general and intentionally exclude the link making discord users upset.

It's gotten to the point where people are dramatic assholes about it on both ends and no matter how the general is will involve more discord drama. Unless these people mature nothings going to change.
>>
>>2836759
>p. regalis
God, love them to bits. Was my first OW T (alongside an OBT), and she is so much fun to watch. Highly recommend.
>>
>>2836823
Friends
>>2836912
God, that's a gorgeous girl! In my experience, yeah, OWs have shorter lifespans and grow quicker. NWs tend to be slow, but ESPECIALLY Aphonopelma. Your girl's gonna be with you a long time. A. Hentzi females reportedly can get past 40 years old, and Chalcodes can get into the 20s easily.
>>2836937
>Impending demise
Breed the fool and get some gorgeous slings!
>>
>>2837070
I love the way Regalis move when they aren't attempting to explode out of their enslocures and Mach 7. Every movement just seems so delicate and deliberate. How does yours compare in temperament compared to the OBT?
>>
File: IMG_0771.jpg (2.62 MB, 4032x3024)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB JPG
>>2837075
>A. Hentzi females reportedly can get past 40
God help me she's gonna hate me for decades. At least my chalcodes will be a nice change of pace till then.
>Bree the fool
I gotta find a female anon!
>>
>>2837083
She's much more timid, my OBT is a bolty bitch who'll give a threat pose for any reason and will slap pretty readily if you persist in bothering her. My Regalis is bolty if she's startled, but she doesn't really do threat poses unless you go out of your way to bother her. The trick, from my experience, is to just move slowly when you're dealing with them, be it feeding, maintenance, or rehousing, and just be prepared in case they DO bolt.
>>
File: IMG_0465.jpg (3.48 MB, 4032x3024)
3.48 MB
3.48 MB JPG
>>2837046
They'd be more easily ignored if they A: didn't intentionally shit post the thread to its limit to start a new one, and B: didn't plaster it at the top of the post to be as spiteful as the people excluding it.
>>
>>2837085
>I gotta
It's easier to send him to the female
>>
>>2837087
Other generals have been bumped to the limit for having a discord link in the first place. The behavior itself isn't unique to one group or the other, it's all just childish tit for tat shit.
>>
>>2837086
>>2837083
>>2837070
I got a P. smithi sling about a month as my first pokie and old world. Not the most sought after species it seems, hardly any pics of them online.

The sling has been surprisingly calm for me compared to the P. irminia I have.
>>
>>2837093
I figured as much, but then there's the issue of finding somebody I can trust who has a female.
>>2837097
Got any pics?
>>
File: IMG_20180922_130918.jpg (1.6 MB, 2295x2627)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB JPG
>>2837105
I have a few, but it's a hard spider to take pics of even though it sits still for me. This is about a day after I got it, it's plumped up a lot since then.
>>
File: IMG_20180928_121800.jpg (466 KB, 1290x1451)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>>2837113
>>2837105
This is a bit more recent
>>
File: IMG_20181008_014942.jpg (2.12 MB, 3480x2217)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
My B. albopilosum, my first T. I got her as a $5 thumbnail sized sling and now 4 and half years later she's an adult size and confirmed female. She is out for a walk after her molt a about a week and half ago.
>>
>>2837122
Gorgeous girl
>>
>>2837097
>sling

Why do people keep using this word?
>>
>>2837128
It's been in the hobby for years
>>
>>2837128
As opposed to what other word? I suppose I should stop saying kitten and puppy too
>>
>>2837113
>>2837117
Baby pokies are the cutest things I swear to god
>>2837122
Damn she is beautiful, well done anon!
>>2837128
It's an abbreviation of spiderling.
>>
Anyone got any experience with H. Gigas communals? I've got a trio of slings that've been cohabiting peacefully for about a month now, and I'd like to keep it that way as they grow.
>>
>>2836734
die in a fire with all the brown recluses in the world
>>
Is it weird that I honestly prefer the GBB's sling coloring over the adult colors?
>>
>>2837150
No, of course not. C. cyanpubescens is one of those spiders that are beautiful all life long.

They don't look that similar but abdomen pattern remibds need of Cyriocosmus leetzi which are gorgeous spiders. I really need to get a Cyriocosmus, the entire genus is adorable
>>
What do /ig/'s OBT setups look like?
>>
>>2837154
Had to google it, but fuck, that is indeed a gorgeous spider. I've only got one dwarf right now, a Hapalopus sp. Columbia sling - What're some of the pros of dwarf species? I'm drawn to the bigger spiders myself.
>>
File: IMG_20181008_101111.jpg (377 KB, 1309x1411)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
Will he give me Spiderman's superpowers? Is leaving him in my backyard safe?
>>
>>2837195
I think that's Araneus diadematus. She's completely harmless to you and your pets
>>
>>2837157
Is OBT the meme tarantula for people who want to feel badass or something?
>>
>>2837130
spiderling. It is like saying ken or ppy instead of kitten or puppy.
I must be in the minority who thinks the word sling sounds stupid.
>>
>>2837199
I thought that way at first, but it grew on me.
>>
>>2837197
Partially, yes. But if you get past the meme around them they are still beautiful spiders and definitely worth keeping.
>>
>>2837204
Yeah. They are a meme, but doesn't take away from their beauty as a species. Their dodgy personalities also makes them fun to keep. That little bit of danger keeps me interested.
>>
anyone else here kind of lost interest in inverts?
>>
>>2837216
i see this in almost every general thread.

>anyone else lost interested in aquariums?
>anyone lost interest in birds?
>anyone lost interested in bunnies?
>anyone lost interest in cooking?
>anyone lost interest in drawing?
>anyone lost interest in stamp collecting?

i think it is quite normal for most people to be super interested upon entering a hobby, then get bored after being into it for a while. It takes some sort of autism to be into one particular hobby for years and years without getting bored or having regrets.
>>
>>2837218
that makes sense. i actually thought it might be more autistic to lose interest in everything after being super into it. but now that i think about it, thats not really autistic at all.
>>
>>2837196
Yes it is. Thanks. I see them kinda often but I had to calm my mom about it.
>>
>>2837197
OBTs are fucking awesome. Just because it's not a pet rock you can cuddle doesn't mean it doesn't have merit as a pet. They are active, solid orange, weave awesome web structures, eat well and grow to a good size. I'd say the fact that they're huge cunts is only negative.
>>
Does /ig/ handle its pokies?
>>
>>2837691
No, if you want to handle an arboreal hold an Avicularia or related genus. Handling old world is stupid even if pokies aren't as defensive as people make them out to be
>>
>>2837691
That's just asking for trouble. Even without being complete assholes like baboon Ts pokies will absolutely fuck your shit if they don't decide to just teleport out of your hands and disappear into the ether.
>>
File: 20181008_181921.jpg (3.87 MB, 5312x2988)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB JPG
Can I get some opinions on this bugarium for a GBB sling? It's 8x8x11. Is it too big? Can too much space stress the spider out? He's got about 4" of burrowing substrate.
>>
>>2837761
Too much height without something to break its fall imho.
>>
>>2837767
I could always add more fake plant hides so it's more cluttered and less of a drop. Most slings I've seen are kept in tiny boxes where they make multi layer web castles. I don't know how they do with a relative shitload of space.
>>
>>2837761
How big is this sling?

There really isn't anything "too big" for a spider, they don't care about space they don't use and too much won't stress them out. The issues of space are more practical, like will the spider find the food you give it and can you really dedicate that much space to one animal.

I agree the set up seems a little tall, you may want to increase the substrate height a fair bit so the spider can't climb and fall to far.
>>
File: IMG_0464.jpg (3.63 MB, 4032x3024)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB JPG
>>2837774
GBBs like having tons of anchor points, let's them do their thing and create one cubic fuckton of webbing. This hut was covered in less than four hours after I moved him into his bigger enclosure. My only lament is that he rarely webs now that he's grown.
>>
>>2837780
The sling is .75 to 1 inch. From Jamie's Tarantulas.
>>
>>2837811
Yeah, I'd keep it in something smaller for now. It'll grow somewhat quickly but I don' think it's time for that big of an enclosure yet
>>
Is it possible to crossbreed across genera? Across the NW/OW split?
>>
>>2838729
Between genera? Likely some could, but it doesn't matter since we shouldn't even be trying to find out without some legitimate scientific purpose.

NW/OW cross I very highly doubt could happen
>>
Took Sixteen out for a photo shoot to show her growth!
>>
>>2839060
She was very perplexed but pretty calm, thankfully.
>>
>>2839062
Lasiodora Parahybana, I should add. Total sweetheart, but she's due for a bigger enclosure.
>>
>>2839060
>>2839062
>>2839065
Pretty baby girl
>>
>>2839065
Why the gloves anon? I'd image her fangs are large enough to go through them if she really wants to bite you.
>>
>>2839103
It's more for the hairs than anything, and I want to stay in the habit of wearing gloves when handling my spiders. Safety first, right?
>>
>>2836912
>Total haul consists of an a. Chalcodes, h. Mac, gbb, and a p. Cambridge
ENGLISH MOTHER FUCKER DO YOU SPEAK IT
>>
>>2839113
Aphonopelma Chalcodes (Desert Blond), Heteroscodra Maculata (Togo Starburst Baboon), Chromatopelma Cyanepubescens (Greenbottle Blue), and Psalmopoeus Cambridgei (Trinidad Chevron), this shit ain't hard anon
>>
>>2839113
>come to a thread about invert enthusiasts
>whine when people use the vernacular that's common in the hobby instead of common names
But why?
>>
File: she dance.jpg (531 KB, 1886x1431)
531 KB
531 KB JPG
>>2839088
she dance 4 u anon
>>
File: New.jpg (271 KB, 1248x936)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
>>2836730
Hard to see but, picked up this little guy last night.
>>
File: IMG_6711.jpg (1008 KB, 4032x3024)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
SE Wisconsin here, what kind of bee/wasp is this?
>>
>>2839552
Oh dang, that is a little guy. What's the species?
>>
>>2839588
Paravaejovis spinigerus
>>
>>2839591
he a cute
>>
>>2839596
haha yeah I was surprised when I got him at how tiny he is. Seems to have settled into his new home pretty nicely though. Was going to use rocks but decided not to with how small it is, so he's hiding under a bottle cap house right now
>>
File: image0 (2).png (178 KB, 500x514)
178 KB
178 KB PNG
Are water pillows efficient? I keep a bottle cap of water in my roaches enclosure along with one and they always seem to ignore the pillow.
>>
>>2839569
Looks like a male Polistes dominula
>>
File: scare.jpg (346 KB, 936x1248)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
>>2836730
protecting his house
>>
>>2839552
>>2840412
Just picked up my first invert last month (mostly herp owner). Say hello to Morticia my Pandinus imperator
>>
>>2840412
Professor Snips
>>2840418
What a fearsome lady!
>>
File: H. arizonensis.jpg (439 KB, 1220x915)
439 KB
439 KB JPG
>>2840418
Oh nice!, How did you find her? Emperor's are getting difficult to come by

This is my newest one
>>2839552

and pic is my first one getting back into the hobby after a few years
>>
>>2836904
Outside of /invert/ and the expos I go to I never really speak to anyone who may be interested, I meant to ask around at the last show but ended up forgetting until I was halfway home.
>>
>>2840424
https://undergroundreptiles.com/shop/emperor-scorpion/
they just got some on the last few months when I was deciding to get one or not. I was originally gonna get a Blue- tongue skink but I hadn't been able to find a place that didn't want less then $350 for one. Until this past weekend when I took a trip to my local pet shop to stock up on UVB and basking bulbs and insect food. I happened to notice a new set up in the back of the store and lo and behold a flipping Blue tonged skin... legit 2 weeks after I got her and for $299 lol
>>
>>2840515

Ohh ok, captive bred, that makes sense. Good to know there are people still selling them. That's a good site, I live in Canada though so not many will ship across the border. Cool they sell Israeli Gold Scorpions as well. I had one and it was great, tiny, not hugely venomous but hyper aggressive haha
>>
>>2840534
That's pretty sad to hear actually. I'd figure that it wouldn't be that bad to overnight from Florida to Canada. Although what do I know about mail lol. Yeah, so everything I looked up most people said these were great starters since there are fairly docile. I do however after a year or so in not the next 6 months plan on trying to get my hands on a black Death Stalker ( Leiurus quinquestriatus)
>>
Man I just wanted to talk about our many legged friends and it's just arguing about l discord.

What the fuxk is a discord anyway?
Just ignore the link if you don't like it.
>>
>>2840543
It's not just the links, as of late they've made it a habit to spam threads to the bump limit or just leave threads that haven't even reached the limit to make new threads with a link. Shit's annoying.
>>
File: UO.jpg (211 KB, 1152x768)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>2840538
Oh the Leiurus Quinquestriatus and Leiurus Jordanensis are awesome scorps. I would like a Jordanensis eventually but I want a more secure setup. Just on the odd chance that a mistake was made and it did happen to get out, even though it's really not likely. My next is probably going to be a Hottentotta hottentotta, then hopefully an Androctonus australis. If I could find a Uroplectes Otjimbguensis I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Pic Related.

Tarantulacanada in Montreal luckily does have a great selection.
>>
>>2840571
*Otjimbinguensis
>>
>>2840571
Oh wow! I do love that orange and black. I think if I cant get my hands on a Leiurus Jordanensis. I'm gonna get a Rhopalurus junceus. I really want an orangeish one so these kinda fit with the orange and blueish/black accents and now the Uroplectes Otjimbinguensis that you've brought to my attention so thanks for that :)
>>
>>2840611
No problem, the Rhopalurus looks awesome! If you like the more orange colour, another one you might consider is the Buthus Draa, not nearly as brightly coloured though
>>
Is anyone planning on going to "bugfest" in Raleigh NC on the 20th? I had a couple of good specimens for the "stump the experts" event, but I don't think I'll be able to make it since they rescheduled
>>
one day i wanna set up two fuckhuge ant colonies then force them to fight to the death
>>
File: wot's all dis den.jpg (451 KB, 1509x1656)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
Danger Dorito has strong feelings about being watered.
>>
>>2841445
Very strong feelings.
>>
File: spider.jpg (58 KB, 528x938)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
What type of spider is this?
>>
>>2841492

I have one living in my basement that looks very similar. Best I could determine is that it's a Rabid Wolf Spider. Could be wrong though.
>>
>>2841501
thanks
>>
>>2836730
Has anyone ordered a Tarantula from Reptile city? I've order a Aphonopelma chalcodes two days ago and I was wondering how long it took others to receive theirs. Does the economy shipping option really take exactly 30days to process or it just at the latest?
>>
File: gbb.jpg (214 KB, 1280x720)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
Got me this juvenile GBB today
>>
File: gbb2.jpg (205 KB, 1280x720)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>2842292
She's a bit smaller than anticipated so I might wanna get her a smaller enclosure
>>
>>2842292
>>2842294
Oh damn, that blue is really popping.
>>
>>2842292
Damn, that's a nice tarantula. I only own scorpions, but that's the species I'd get if I was ever going to buy a Tarantula. Beautiful colouring and supposed to be one of the better beginner ones as well.
>>
File: setup.jpg (697 KB, 1832x1151)
697 KB
697 KB JPG
I'm thinking of getting my first tarantula (I've raised a halfdozen praying mantis from ooth before), a pink toed from a local shop.
It's a little larger than a quarter, and I had a few more questions.

Is the enclosure too big? I'll be adding more vertical structure.
Is this eco earth deep enough?
Are aerial water dishes worth it or just a meme?
Lid is window mesh for ventilation btw
>>
>>2842430
What species are you actually getting? Any of the "pink toes" have basically the same care requirements but you really should know the species name. I'd guess Avicularia avicularia since they are cheap and basically the generic pink toes. How much are you paying for it? Pet shops often over change.

I'd say the enclosure is maybe a little biger than necessary for it at the moment, but it'll grow into it.

You should put side ventilation into 2 sides of the enclosure. It provides a lot better ventilation than a mesh lid.

There's plenty of eco earth.

The water dish is fine where it is. Putting it near the top makes it easier to fill from a top opening enclosure and the t still has access either way.

Is the eco earth somewhat damp? Hard to tell from pics but they shouldn't be kept with totally dry substrate.
>>
>>2842292
>>2842294
Really nice looking spider you got. I can't really tell how big your enclosure is, but extra space isn't really a problem. With C. cyanpubescens it might even better dispay it's webbing.

>>2842338
If you like blue Ts Pterinopelma sazimai is a beautiful nearly all blue species that's also pretty easy to care for and in a similar price range.

>>2842420
Plenty of beautiful Ts out there that you could keep easily. If you keep scorpions there's really no reason to limit your options by going for the beginner suggestions. Basically most new world's, both arboreal and terrestrial would be a good first T for you. P. sazimai is another good choice becoming more available in the hobby
>>
>>2842430
I'd say remove some eco earth. The only use arboreals have for it is a soak every once in a while. They'll grow into the enclosure, so tgat's no biggie. I personally keep my avicularias dry without even a dish. If you spray their web directly about every 4 days or so it orovides a really good source of watter as it just pools up in spots. Also add more ventilation to the sides and avics don't like stagnant air.
>>
>>2842294
Man the enclosure is ok I freaking hate when keepers get bare minimum enclosures and rehouse every molt. I always go quite a bit oversized on enclosures. I keep slings in 16 or 32oz deli cups and once they're about 1 1/2 I house them to a medium sized kk, then once they're about 3 1/2 I house them in their enclosure they'll be in at adulthood. This practice is really important especially if you have a lot of old worlds and you want to decrease the margin of error. The only thing people say is "the t can't find their food" which is baloney because when you plop their food in there 90% pounce on it roght away, and they'll have a hide of some sort you can deposit there also.
>>
>>2842294
>>2842292
CUTE! fatten that lil bitch up
>>
File: 4-Figure1-1.png (3.42 MB, 1338x1460)
3.42 MB
3.42 MB PNG
Very disappointed by the lack of hemipterans in the hobby. Anyone know where to get some that aren't just the two African species?
>>
File: IMG_5615.jpg (2.35 MB, 3072x2048)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
Found at Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Florida.
>>
File: IMG_5616.jpg (1.94 MB, 3072x2048)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>2842792
>>
>>2842696
There's at least one guy here who keeps assassin bugs, but I don;t know if he's still here.
>>
>>2842696
Belostomatidae are getting more popular
>>
This giant ass wolf spider was just on my headboard. Shot it with a pellet gun, AMA
>>
>>2842988
Shot it and babies went EVERY WHERE
>>
I wish spiders were real
>>
Any crabe owners?
>>
File: House Centipede.jpg (1.23 MB, 3108x2071)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
I am here to brag about my pet centipede.

All summer I had a pissant problem. Leave an empty soda cup out, wake up and find it crawling with ants. So I let a few spider lurk around but it was pointless since they were only after flying bugs.

Then I noticed a baby centipede scuttling about. I love house centipedes because they are great for patrolling for pests, like having a tomcat for mice.

Some people think house centipedes are creepy, but I dont. You would have to really terrify one for them to bite, and you cant hold them like a beetle anyways, they are too skittish. Granted, they can startle you when they grow large (and they do) if you see him crawling up the wall next to you. But then you remember they are harmless and a friend.

So this morning I found him, all grown up, trapped in m kitchen sink. I let him crawl up a paper towel and set him loose on the floor, and he made a bee-line for under my bed and I chuckled. Later this morning I saw him skitta-skitta-skitta across the living room floor. Then a half hour later, skitta-skitta-skitta back the other direction. He is comical to watch when he runs. I think he is hiding somewhere around the printer or recliner now.

tldr- house centipedes are your friend, they keep away pests.
>>
Can't get pet Tarantulas or hissing roaches where I live so I just found a spider in the garden to try and raise. Araneomorphae. Uliodon sp. gets fat very quickly. Quite aggressive and interesting to watch.

Is it bad that I feed her mostly with small wolf spiders ? Wolf spiders are easy to find. Slaters are also easy to find.

Other spider I might try to keep are native tunnel web spider.
>>
>>2843130
Cute. I wish I had house centipede where I live.
>>
File: IMG_20181014_163121.jpg (3.03 MB, 4160x3120)
3.03 MB
3.03 MB JPG
Is this a good setup for my lasius niger colony to move?
>>
File: IMG_20181014_163128.jpg (3.66 MB, 4160x3120)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB JPG
>>2843151
>>
File: LJ.jpg (126 KB, 900x600)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>2840412
>>2840424
This guy again. Just ordered one of these 2I, if you never hear from me again you'll know what happened.
>>
>>2842988
Why you kill it? I just caught the one in my basement and it's great. Just murders thew crickets I feed to my scorpions
>>
File: ic-1069.png (278 KB, 459x438)
278 KB
278 KB PNG
Any crab owners?
>>
>>2843152
no sunlight. you cook them
>>
>>2843152
>4160x3120
not going to bother loading that shit. Not everyone has good internet.
>>
File: 1539527953209.jpg (205 KB, 1000x750)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
>>2843725
Made sure they are not in direct sunlight now but I think the light they are getting isn't bright enough. I'll have to order a new LED lamp.
>>2843864
Here you go.
>>
>>2843936
Well never mind the setup works. The ants all moved, sweet. Last time I tried this the ants didn't even move after a week keeping them like that. Anything I should do now? I know I need to put them in hibernation this month and I don't want to screw this up.
>>
>>2843107
>>2843710
OOOOOHHH
THE BLOOD RUNS COLD
>>
>>2843107
No one here cares about anything other than fucking tarantulas. Should be called the tarantula or spider general.
>>
File: Drink.jpg (251 KB, 936x1248)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
Caught this guy wandering up to his water bowl and having a drink.
He was scared of it at first and scouted how deep it was with his claws, then went for it.
>>
>>2844087
Get stuffed, drama nerd
>>
File: 1463178390241.jpg (9 KB, 184x184)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>2844087
Die mad about it.
>>
>>2844307
>I want pictures of your spider, man
>>
ID?
North America,Michigan
Is this a darkling beetle?
The larve is meal worms,right?
>>
File: 20181015_170047.jpg (3.15 MB, 5312x2988)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
My GBB sling is doing well in it's enclosure. It took to the tree well and is eating worms like a champ.
>>
File: 20181015_174251.jpg (2.85 MB, 5312x2988)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
Please mind my ghetto photography
>>
>>2843517
Bc fuck you and the spider that's why
>>
>>2844881
Nice reasoning, you sound like a smart one
>>
File: Aah47tb.png (117 KB, 320x263)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>>2844922
Indeed comrade. That individual is incredibly logical and displays substantial intellectual merit. Not. Though we intellectuals are smart enough to see each others sarcasm.

It is sad to see so many low IQ folk in the world who dislike araneae and other arthropods. Quite pathetic really.
>>
>>2844327
Definitely a darkling beetle. I'm not familiar with American beetles but it could be an adult superworm that escaped.
If you don't keep those in your house then it's more likely some closely related native species.
>>
File: DSC_7809.jpg (319 KB, 1000x667)
319 KB
319 KB JPG
Bigg stretch

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.