[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 55 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: DSC_1988.jpg (338 KB, 1200x800)
338 KB
338 KB JPG
/rstg/ - Reef and Saltwater Tank General

The other one got full edition
>>4643005

Welcome to /rstg/, the ultimate destination for reef and saltwater enthusiasts. Discuss anything related to your marine paradise here, whether it's your thriving coral colonies, vibrant fish, or aquascaping. Before posting your questions or updates, remember to include important details:

>Tank Size (be sure to include dimensions)
>Water Parameters (salinity, pH, temperature)
>Current Inhabitants and How Long You've Had Them
>Tank's Age
>Share Pictures of Your Aquatic Masterpiece

Tank Cycling and Maintenance:

>https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cycling-an-aquarium.306554/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:

>https://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisorMarine.php
>https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Reefing Resources and Care Guides:

>www.reefkeeping.com/
>www.reef2reef.com/
>www.advancedaquarist.com/
>https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

Aquascaping and Coral Fragging:

>https://www.saltwateraquariumblog.com/how-to-frag-your-first-coral/

Saltwater Aquarium Setups:

>https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/taking-the-plunge-starting-your-first-reef-aquarium.533/

Grab your snorkels and dive into the discussions, and don't forget to share your stunning reef and saltwater tank photos. Let's make this board a haven for fellow aquarists to exchange knowledge and ideas, and keep the coral reef magic alive!

Join the Discord here: https://discord.gg/THNgT6dD
>>
>>4688745 (OP)
We can do better. For one, I would like to suggest we add helpful links to the OP and remove unnecessary stuffs.

>BRS's 5-minute guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLBaMLrfToJyxJ1PuJZwhkxvvdFP14eV_t

>BRS's Mistakes playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBaMLrfToJyxjsPtcuEvxJPvCZexpePpa
>>
The nearest LFS that sells corals is 5-hour drive away from my home ;-;
>>
>>4689298
Stay salty bro
>>
>>4688854
If I happen to make the net thread a month from now, I will endeavor to make such changes.
>>4689298
Feelsbadman.gif
I have 2.5 within a half hours drive (The next closest is 650km) in my sm0l island of 5 million people, but corals are not so varied and the fish are quite limited too with no aquaculturing, very limited culturing with corals.
They don't have stupid fucking names though, so there's that.
>>
There is a guy on offerup selling a 125 gallon FOWLR break down for 275, everything in and attached to the tank included (but no mention of test kits, crates of salt, etc.). Any reason not to buy it and spend the year converting it into a fish with softies reef? this would be my first saltwater setup lol. Pic hardly related.
>>
>>4689868
None that I can think of. Perhaps probably the RODI unit, if included, could use some filter change.
>>
File: DSC_0326.jpg (100 KB, 800x786)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
Acroporas are so beautiful
>>
File: B7-1-scaled.jpg (687 KB, 2560x1920)
687 KB
687 KB JPG
>>4690046
Not my cup of tea personally, but it's easy to see why mixed reef aquaria is so prevalent.
>>
File: F18-1-scaled.jpg (505 KB, 2560x1891)
505 KB
505 KB JPG
ITT; Crazy frag names
>Chong Bong Twizzler Zoanthids Zoas
>>
It's a miracle I haven't lost my mandarin yet
>>
It’s amazing how a difference in lighting can affect color on corals. This Montipora Spongodes I have has a clear line where my lid blocks direct light, one half is browned out and the other shines green.

Any advice on how to get the best coloration possible out of your corals?
>>
File: IMG_6288.jpg (1.98 MB, 4032x3024)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>4691203
Forgot pic
>>
Just got myself one of those fancy featherdusters. You wager I need to drip acclimatize it or is temperature good enough?
>>
>>4691360
I drip acclimate everything just to be sure.
>>
>>4691360
I usually poke a hole with a toothpick and let the bag sit in the sump for an hour or so.
>>
>>4691205
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-t2QWgzxGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ulmDolAm8s
It's a complicated topic but assuming you have strong flow and detectable nitrate and phosphate, you can set your light to cook your corals for 4 hours a day or more in order to get good coloration. Very high par stimulates the production of chromoproteins.
>>
>>4692206
Just to add to good information, I came across this recently.
https://www.blueharbor.co.jp/en/Coral-Color-Management.html

>Mfw banned for 3 days for "Repeatedly uploading image(s) subject to a copyright claim".
>>
File: IMG_0420.jpg (480 KB, 1113x1138)
480 KB
480 KB JPG
>>
>>4691203
Don't do what your doing. Light hits the whole coral. Move it.
>>
>>4693963
Dat some kinda flasher wrasse?
>>
File: IMG_20231227_161226[1].jpg (2.87 MB, 4624x2080)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB JPG
I don't wanna brag, but after 5 months I have spontaneously grown some kind of undocumented invertebrate.
Should I wait for it to split or should I just start cutting it now to help recoup costs?
>>
>>4694880
You should kill it with fire. Not even joking. Laser that fucker off the face of the planet and do it quickly.
>>
File: IMG_20231227_170542[1].jpg (2.84 MB, 4624x2080)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
>>4694904
Fair enough.
Shone my "TEN"mW UV/purple laser at it for shits and giggles.
It either pooped out Zooxanthellae or it got a boner. Not sure.
>>
>>4691203
>Any advice on how to get the best coloration possible out of your corals?
Getting lighting right is pretty tricky in general. That's why people spend ungodly amounts of money on it. Current trends lean towards blade type lighting for better distribution, or multiple smaller lights.

For instance, while one Radion XR30 might have great coverage on paper, it just creates too much shadowing, so two XR15's covering the same square footage ends up being way better. Or AI blades covering the entire length of the tank.

In your case, your lid is shadowing part which is overproducing zooxanthellae (i.e. the brown out).
>>
Update: It was a green poop thing.
>>
Update: I need a stronger laser and this one has no pot.
>>
>>4694880
Smother it with putty. Make sure to completely cover it. That said, aiptasia is inevitable so don't stress about it too much. The putty method worked well for me until I discovered an aiptasia under a fucking rock that I can't get to. Now my tank is covered with aiptasia.
>>
>>
File: DSC_2043.jpg (399 KB, 1200x800)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
>>4696593
Indeed, but they would go unchecked in this tank.
Had intended it to jumpstart me on my 160 but I'm just so lazy. Also poor.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (466 KB, 1638x1117)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>"yass girls, any other strong reefkeeper women on here? tired of those know-it-all incels!"
>post history is full of her fucking things up in her tank and being clueless on the basics
lol
>>
>>4696642
Are these types of women so oblivious to the fact that they will try to make themselves a victim in everything and most people will respond negatively to that behaviour because we know exactly where the conversation is ultimately heading?
White privilege, second only to white female privilege.
>>
File: 1642896710069.gif (3.46 MB, 377x372)
3.46 MB
3.46 MB GIF
>>4696642
>Wah, I've lived my life with people complimenting and congratulating me based on my gender
>How come when I go on the internet as a faceless person with other faceless people, my shortcomings in subject knowledge is met with criticism in the hobby I've been in FOR A WHOLE YEAR
>I just want to lord over people with my superiority complex, where is my safe space?

I don't like being introspective with myself either.
>>
>>4696642
I saw 2 clueless women (sisters? lesbians?) buying a box puffer and a damsel the other day. I hope the poor fish survived.
>>
Geez, PVC cement doesn't fuck around.
>Quickly push pipe home and hold for at least 30 seconds.
30 seconds my ass, barely had three to hold it against a flat. Had a date like that once.
>>
Ja, we haff no leaks and the pump, it is verkink!
>>
File: IMG_20240102_184116.jpg (3.05 MB, 4624x2080)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB JPG
It would help if I uploaded a fucking picture of the ghostly virgin rock and ironsand.
>>
>>4698846
That rock looks very ominous. It will darken over time so it will probably be okay, though.
>>
I can never put substrate in my tank. Corals including stony corals consume detritus and creating detritus storms by placing a powerhead underneath the rocks really makes the corals puffier.
>>
>>4699271
Indeed. I'm not sure why BRSTV hasn't gone all out on their IDDQD filtration method of keeping particulates suspended so that the FILTER can take them out of the column. Maybe they're going to buy Ecotech Marine soon or something, idk.
>>
>>4699275
>IDDQD
?
>>
File: DSC_2040.jpg (290 KB, 1200x800)
290 KB
290 KB JPG
>>4699291
A bit left-field I guess. Cheat code for the original DOOM.
They've recently been peddling a new acronym something along the lines of S.uspended P.articulate F.low something something as part of the heavy in, heavy out feeding/filtering.
>>
>freshwater aquariums are boring
>saltwater aquariums cost thousands of dollars
man being a broke NEET sucks sometimes
>>
>>4699337
Saltwater aquariums don't cost thousands of dollars. Reef tanks cost thousands of dollars.

If you do FOWLR it's really not very expensive. The second you look at even a soft coral, you're done though.
>>
>>4699351
Could always dumpster dive for GSP and wait for aiptasia to proliferate.
>>
>>4699294
>DOOM
Sorry, I don't play garbage games.
>>
>>4699357
Sorry can't hear you over my bullet and metal soundtrack.
>>
>>4699351
Yeah but that's the thing, the reef tanks are the cool ones.
Its too bad you probably cant make a tank that simulates the deep ocean, where all the bioluminescent shit lives. The pressure would be way too low and it'd probably have to be in a dark room. Otherwise it'd be even cooler than a reef tank.
>>
>>4699337
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcZExLmlS2Q&pp=ygUPQ2hlYXAgcmVlZiB0YW5r
Par38 is the cheapest proper light. You can even grow SPS with it. You also don’t need DC powerheads, the AC ones are find as long as you don’t blast the corals directly and have adequate turnover say 60 times.
>>
>>4698252
If you want a bit more time, temperature plays a big role. The cooler the temp, the longer it'll take to set. But it has to be a pretty big temp swing. E.g. 40F from normal room temp for you to get about double time.
>>
>>4699433
I used to dose Pyrocystis fusiformis instead of normal phyto. Yes, the room definitely has to be dark. Like normal phyto though, Pyrocystis won't really sustain a population in a reef tank as it'll be consumed too quickly, so I had a phyto culture setup and an autodoser.

I've been considering doing it again but it's pretty far down the list of to-do stuff for my tanks.
>>
>>4699351
Only large SPS tanks cost thousands of dollars. You can get by with a $40 skimmer (bubble magus mini q) and a $150 light (spectra v3) from aliexpress and do pretty well even.
Of course, balling and test kits, livestock and other minor expenses do add up. but I think you can have a pretty cool reef tank for around $500.
>>4699433
You can but it would be very expensive and time consuming. Some livestock from the deep sea fares fairly well on lower pressures. Spider crabs are the most common example.
>>
File: F74PrAUaYAA2DdH.jpg (97 KB, 1000x1000)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
My frag tank is doing better than my display tank
>>
File: IMG_20240104_164510.jpg (559 KB, 2312x1040)
559 KB
559 KB JPG
>>4699496
28~°C @ 90%RH
I'm telling you man, I wasn't mucking around and still managed to cock up a joint. Spun the union thread by accident instead of the join and it was too late to readjust.
I can fully appreciate the "Dry-fit your slip fittings and mark on the pipe where it is fully inserted" so that you don't accidentally it.
>>
>>4699923
My reef tank is doing better than my freshwater tank.
>>
>>4699971
>I'm telling you man, I wasn't mucking around and still managed to cock up a joint.
I know that pain. When designing my own systems I generally get about 50% more stuff than I need. E.g. if I need two unions, I buy three. My current tank was prefabbed though so I didn't need to do that this time around (the tradeoff of course being my wallet).

>>4700185
Same....
>>
File: IMG_5956.jpg (196 KB, 1193x1200)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>Stratosphere zoas going cheap, $80 per polyp!
>Here is my mother colony of 11 polyps for reference!
>Mother colony
>11 polyps

Chopshoppers sure are a strange breed of people. Then there's the cunts trying to get away with $400 per polyp, they're so rare to find because all anyone ever does is immediately frag them down to single polyps to recoup their own investment of a single polyp.
I mean I get it, but geez.
>>
>>4700674
Imagine how many polyps are lost due to trauma in this endless frag extravaganza.
>>
>>4700701
Well that's the thing - melting polyps used to be fairly rampant in this area of trade.
Go back 10-15 years and people that immediately fragged an entire colony i.e 'chop shops' used to be looked down upon by people in the hobby, even the wild-harvested colonies that were fragged and then passed off as 'maricultured' is still a thing.
How slow does a zoa have to grow where a single fucking polyp of ANY """"name""" pulls double digits.

Obviously I speak as a person not in the collectable/trophy side of things, but people that actually grow colonies out and only frag/trade when it is simply too big for their tank seem a rare thing today. What happened to swapping colonies.
>>
>>4700701
I haven't seen much polyp loss, but then again I try to never do single polyp frags as I tend to only frag when a colony gets too big or if someone reaches out to me wanting something specific or if one of my asshole fish/urchin knocks something off and I don't feel like (or can't) glue it back together.

>>4700879
>How slow does a zoa have to grow
Kind of a mixed bag. Often it isn't how slow it grows, but how rare it is. So something like AOI used to be pretty expensive per polyp, but it isn't that slow in growing (I would say about half the rate of a rasta). Eventually supply caught up with demand and the price plummeted. I'm hoping this keeps happening with all "rare" zoa varieties. I really haven't encountered a zoa that grows new polyps so slowly as to justify the high end prices. Like, no zoa I know of grows slower than a common green/purple hammer grows new heads, for instance, and people sell those things super cheap.

I think part of the difficulty in this is that some zoas are just harder to keep, so a lot of people who buy these high end zoas don't have much success (i.e. they melt), so there's not a big influx of new aquaculturists of that variety of zoa. Conversely, like in the AOI example above, lots of AOI customers became unintentional suppliers of them as well since they are nearly as robust as other common varieties.
>>
>>4700674
How the hell does anyone get away with calling something a mother colony and it's still on a fucking frag plug lmfao.
>>
>>4701420
God I wish my cheap ass skimmer can skim like this
>>
>>4700701
Not like we're any better. I forgot how many fishes and corals that I had killed during my first year of reefing and I'm still killing corals now just at a slower rate.
>>
>>
>>4702085
I’ve only killed one coral (a xenia at that, lol) accidentally because I stabbed it with my finger.
>>
File: 1296535105455.png (124 KB, 232x252)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>4702085
I accidentally rinsed a monti frag in freshwater.
>>
>>4690046
>(2) chaurus eggs added
>(2) chaurus eggs added
>(2) chaurus eggs added
>(2) chaurus eggs added
>(2) chaurus eggs added
>>
>>4690163
>Gorilla Nipple
>Butt Muncher
Zoas have the worst names. I really hate the dumbasses that come up with the exceptionally stupid names.
>>
>>4702269
I just don't understand why king faggots, WWC for example, have to name EVERYTHING. Sure, it may help a faggot in training looking for 'that coral that this guy on the forum has and I really only want that one what is this ones name', but they're faggots too.
My two closest marine resellers don't name their shit, unless you count WYSIWYG.
>Why don't you name your corals
>>Because I have 90 tanks to look after every day and there is no reason to make up that shit for every frag
>What if I give you an extra $100 if you give it a goofy name
I mean shit, if you look at any forum and OP's asking you to ID their (coral), there's no definitive answer and there's always a bit of discourse.
>>
Yes I mad.
>>
https://vividaquariums.com/collections/polyps-zoanthids/products/stratosphere-zoanthids?variant=40390079316053
>>
>>4702229
>>4702244
Post your tank
>>
File: IMG_20240102_184139.jpg (2 MB, 4208x1892)
2 MB
2 MB JPG
>>4702419
It just looks empty because it's so big.
>>
>>4702961
Are you cycling your tank? I hope you don't follow BRS's 3-month no light cycle.
>>
File: IMG_20231001_140834.jpg (3.08 MB, 4624x2080)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
>>4703012
Once I get the motivation, I've got about 150lbs of rock to bash around (some coral rock, some marco) and assemble.
Just been growing some GSP with a 'seed' tank for 5-6 months or so and is currently full of little critters that I'll just yeet into the sump. Really interested to see if using ironsand has any impact on detritus buildup or 'blows up' organisms that consume silicates. So far as I can find, I haven't seen any pictures of anyone else using it, only people admonishing it.
>Dude you can't use ironsand, don't you know how iron rusts in salt water?!/1/1oneone
And other flat out retarded shit.

I have been watching a fair amount of BRS's stuff, enough to know they get a fair amount wrong but address it in future.
Enjoying some old reef therapy podcasts more recently.
>>
>>4703033
What are you aiming? SPS-dominant, LPS-dominant or mixed reef? I think it's best to set the tank from day 1 the way you're planning to run it when you have corals. It will make it faster for the tank to reach equilibrium that way. Ryan from BRS did a 6-month no light cycle and when he turned his light on, algae exploded in his tank.
>>
>>4703037
Very much LPS, maybe a few monti or other SPS at the peaks, but my end goal is a magnifica. That'll be a few months down the track at best. Honestly I just want mandarins, hence the rock hoarding.

Indeed, their/his 'biome' series highlighted what some of us already knew, that for every 'bloom' we have allowed it to happen in this closed ecosystem one way or another, light is a lot of free energy. The micro clean up crew has always been the bones of any ecosystem and it took Ryan how many years to openly say 'pods and supporting utilitarian fish should form the basis of the stocking where possible from the start'.
>>
>>4703045
For the magnifica, it’s a good idea to have cipro in hand just in case the anemone go downhill.
>>
One of the mouths of a new zoa frag I bought has lost all color, with the inside being the same shade of purple as the outside. At first it refused to close once the lights went down and then it closed but refused to open for like a week. I assume it’s dead but there are no signs of necrosis.
Will it start releasing ammonia right next to the rest of the colony? What should I do? The other mouths are doing just fine and there’s even new growth forming at the sides.
>>
>>4703217
What's your salinity? How do you check it?
>>
>>4703502
Yeah, I check it. Its 1.025, never changes because of the ATO.
>>
>>4703080
Yes, many many long term owners outlining cipro is basically a given on receipt. Luckily, both cipro and magnificas are hard to find in NZ at the moment.
>>
>>4703557
Are you using a refractometer or a hydrometer?
>>
>>4703580
>>4703080
Yeah, I lost a magnifica long ago that might have been saved had I had cipro on hand. :(

I've always thought about getting a replacement as it was way cooler than any other anemone I've seen but unfortunately I got a bubbletip and it's been proliferating in my tank for four years now and I can't really get myself to get rid of all of them (I generally give away all but three every now and then).
>>
File: well then.jpg (4 KB, 250x250)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>Forget to calculate sump volume when checking if a 25kg bag is enough
>Realize it's gonna cost me about 3kgs of salt with every 10% change
Why didn't anyone tell me this.
>>
>>4704232
You don't need to do water change every week
>>
File: 1262494242133.jpg (15 KB, 253x224)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>4704285
But what if the WC police find out?
>>
>>4704819
Kill them
>>
File: Sarcophyton-elegans-2.jpg (857 KB, 800x530)
857 KB
857 KB JPG
Aaaa I want a yellow fiji leather so bad
>>
>Spend a good 4-5 hours fucking with rocks and superglue after procrastinating for weeks
>Spend a further 2-3 hours reinforcing superglue bonds with e-Marco
>bump a rock today 20 hours later and the whole thing just fucking explodes
Why even bother
>>
>>4696664
Women haven't the slightest clue how they are living life on full tutorial mode.
>>
>>4705410
>didn't like leather
>see pic
>I want this

>>4704819
I haven't done a waterchange since I think Oct-ish of 2022.
>>
>>4705916
I've found reef putty easier to work with, although it depends on what kind of joint you're doing. If there's a big gap, it's best to superglue->fill with putty->use mortar

But in general I really try to be creative with the natural shape of the rocks and not smash/slam things into place. What ends up happening with that technique is that you end up with more putty/mortar/glue than you do the rock, destroying a lot of the surface area and the natural texture.
>>
>>4688745
Thank you for continuing my last thread. The discord is dead btw either I or someone else needs to make a new one or we just not do it because Discord is fucking gay tranny shit. Telegram instead maybe?
>>
File: file.png (267 KB, 363x375)
267 KB
267 KB PNG
>>4692154
I used to do this but it is pretty ghetto
>>4691360
Drip acclimate. You do not want to stress those beautiful worms out or they'll drop their crown and it takes a few weeks to grow back. Happened to me once.
>>4694880
remove
>>4696642
God I hate this shit so fucking bad
>I HAVE 40 FISH PLUSHIES, IM AN EXPERT
just like the discord trannies.
>WAAH YOUR FISHTANK IS TOO SMALL FOR FISH!
>YOU NEED AT LEAST A 50 GALLON TANK FOR 2 CLOWNFISH.
>THIS IS LITERALLY ANIMAL ABUSE.
>I ONLY DO FRESHWATER BUT I'M PRETTY SURE THAT CORAL IS BLEACHED, XENIA CORAL IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE WHITE
This literally happened to me I hate discord trannies and redditors so much
>>4699337
Facebook market place
>>4699351
>The second you look at even a soft coral, you're done though.
not true. I've grown plenty of soft coral in cheap ass lights, shit water, and it explodes in growth. Try a kenya tree or anthelia. fuck anthelia btw i hate that stuff and how it smells
>>
File: 1705380902963.jpg (864 KB, 2946x1325)
864 KB
864 KB JPG
>>4707923
Did you start the "Zoomers in 2060" thread?
>>4707736
I've used 2 part epoxy sticks many many times in my last job, when it wasn't my wallet restocking the factory. I've got about 40kg of old dead coral rock and about 20kg of e-marco, 50/50 foundation/regular.
I was praying to god that the e-marco 400 kit would suffice but I may have to blend. I've since found out it's just way overpriced portland/sand and an acrylic masonry bonding juice.

>Motherfucker
>I just want zoomyholes and mad pods
>>
>>4707931
>Did you start the "Zoomers in 2060" thread?
No but I'm glad other people get it
>>
>>4707933
Fair.
I just hope 220gal is enough for a magnifica, two clowns, two mandarins and an assload of GSP.
>>
Can one have too many montipora?
>>
>>4707980
Not enough monti dominant tanks.
Don't care what kind, more monti.
>But they grow to fast
>But they grow too wide
>But they only come in a hundred colours
>>
>>4707982
I've got 10 different species at the moment but I'm tempted by so many more
Encrusting, branching, plating... the possibilities are endless
Gods perfect corals
>>
>>4707984
My ideal hard commitment to GSP and a magnifica is being slowly eroded.
Gold rush monti, chilli pepper monti, pink scrolling...
>>
>>4707982
I love montis but they take up so much space, war like crazy and a lot of times only look great from the top
>>
Sometimes I like to light my room just with the dim side lights but everytime I do that my zoas extend the shit of their polyps to grab light. Nigga, those lights dont even put out .5 PAR, just close your polyps.
Do I need to cover the tank to avoid having long neck zoas? Once the photoperiod begins they go back down but I'm kinda worried about the long term effects of this.
>>
File: Poler bare.png (149 KB, 427x304)
149 KB
149 KB PNG
>>4708852
>
>>
File: 1990 frags.jpg (831 KB, 2282x1281)
831 KB
831 KB JPG
>>4707982
>>
File: m1vtxeh2ivr11.png (524 KB, 1001x823)
524 KB
524 KB PNG
>tfw finally winning against dinos since they appeared after my 1 week vacation by dosing carbon at night daily
>>
>>
File: 1682377854649267.gif (2.97 MB, 200x180)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB GIF
>>4710092
Chonk
>>
>>4709478
I'm kind of excited to go through these phases in my big tank. I've only got hair and bubble algae in my little 20g 'seed', but a fuckload of digitate hydroids so I'm not interested in chucking that into the sump.
>>
>>4709478
I feel like the tides are slowly turning in my favor against dinos too since dosing nitrates every morning
I've thought about carbon dosing but I'm unsure about it yet
>>
File: 1705070290922780.webm (302 KB, 480x468)
302 KB
302 KB WEBM
>new acro frag RTN'd on the very first night
>it stopped RTN'ing for a full day now
Wew
>>
Nevermind, it’s still STN’ing.
>>
>>4711930
Don’t worry, STN can take a long time to kill it. I have a birdsnest that’s been STN’ing for months now. It grows faster than it STNs so it’s staying alive. Shit’s fucked but it works somehow, hope the Acro grows fast
>>
>>4712124
The problem is this is a new frag. It’s day 3 and a fourth of it is already gone. The polyps are still out though.
>>
File: 1237013185614.jpg (42 KB, 400x291)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>Boss asks how my fish are doing
>Tell him well and mention I've got a saltwater tank cycling
>Explain to him the cycling process
>Show him some of canary in a coal mine GSP
>Asks if that's glow or fluorescence
>Explain wavelength peaks for zooxanthellae, protein expression and stuff
>Get called a nerd by the boomer with his BSc in biology
>>
>>4712628
>works for a BS Bio
>basically a lab monkey with parasite knowledge
sad
>>
>>4712634
Even worse, I'm a salesman.
>>
>>4712637
did your boss get the spot simply by having a degree?

I hire BSc Bio's. They're a diamond dozen. I currently have 1 herpetologist and 2 zoologists working in my enviro lab.
>>
>>4712639
Naw, my boss is a director and his partner, also a director has a BSc in biochemistry.
They only mention it on their business cards and oddly have nothing to do with our laboratory/chemical supply branch other than aged receivables. I can hardly talk though, dropped out of school at 16.

What kinda work do you get up to?
>>
>>4712642
>What kinda work do you get up to?
enviro contracting for mining, gov, and heavy industry
>>
>>4711299
Nitrate dosing is helping you with dinos? Are your phosphates super high or something? Nitrate would usually make things worse.
Carbon dosing works wonders, though. You can use sugar, vinegar, vodka or whatever.
>>
>>4688745
I have yellowtail chromis and what corals should I get?
>>
>>4713488
Any corals that you like
>>
>>4713491
I'll probably add softies
>>
>>4713521
Don’t do Kenya trees unless you are okay with hundreds of baby Kenya trees all over
>>
>>4713539
You can just cut them off when they get annoying, it’s not that bad. They aren’t as pervasive as xenia in this regard.
>>
>>4713539
This is my tank
>>
>>4688745
Can damsel fish live with scorpion leaf fish?
>>
>>4713994
A disaster waiting to happen
>>
>>4713994
How are you going to get rid of the leaf fish body when the Damsel KTFO's it?
>>
>>4712763
It's been working well so far, though now I have a huge cyano problem
My understanding was a prevalent idea was that dinos can take over in a nutrient deficient system, and my nitrates and phosphates were pretty much nonexistent, so trying to up nutrients can provide chance for other organisms to use it and outcompete the dinos
BUT
i guess carbon dosing does the same thing eh?
I should start doing that I have a free pump available on my jebao doser
>>
>>4714914
To a degree. The basis of all-for-reef for example, dosing long chains versus vinegar, sugar, ethanol etc.
>>
Just in case I didn't have enough rocks, scored me 23kg of dead coral rocks today for a hundy.
Guy had been reefing for about 30 years and just retired as a marine biologist teacher, the dead corals/rocks are what was leftover from the system he had at the university he was teaching in unfortunately crashed because of a malfunctioning HVAC system keeping the room around 45C over the holidays - chiller couldn't keep up.
Before that, he had a 400gal system at home that crashed also, landslide and resulting loss of road made his house inaccessible for almost a week and without power. Generator kicked in but ran out of diesel 4 days in he reckons, said it took almost a year for the well to stop seeping out of the walls.

Now I kinda wanna set up an off-grid backup system.
>>
>>4712639
>diamond dozen
>I was only pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>4716365

Due to extensive research done by the University of Pittsburgh, diamond has been confirmed as the hardest metal known to man. The research is as follows:

Pocket-protected scientists built a wall made of iron and crashed a diamond car into it at 400 miles per hour, and the car was unharmed. They then built a wall out of diamond and crashed a car made of iron moving at 400 miles an hour into the wall, and the wall came out fine. They then crashed a diamond car made of 400 miles per hour into a wall, and there were no survivors. They crashed 400 miles per hour into a diamond travelling at iron car. Western New York was powerless for hours. They rammed a wall made of metal into 400 miles an hour made of diamond, and the resulting explosion shifted earths orbit 400 million miles away from the sun, saving the earth from a meteor the size of a small Washington suburb that was hurtling towards mid-western Prussia at 400 billion miles an hour. They shot a diamond made of iron at a car moving at 400 walls per hour, and as a result caused over 10000 wayward planes to lose track of their bearings, and make a fatal crash with over 10000 buildings in downtown New York. They spun 400 miles at diamond into iron per wall. The results were inconclusive. Finally, they placed 400 diamonds per hour in front of a car made of wall travelling at miles per iron, and the result proved with out a doubt that diamonds were the hardest metal of all time, if not just the hardest metal known to man.
>>
>>4688745
Looks relaxing. How do beginners start?
>>
Replaced the hawkins echinata i lost in a power outage
was 10$ at the lfs week ago, the now 15$
inflation is real
They also had some impressive garf bonsai colonies i hope they frag so i can get one
>>
>>4716379
>$15
Turbo snails are $25 in NZ.
>>
>>4716380
my blue leg hermit crabs are also 99 cents each
i should go more often maybe they'll have things i want more than i expect
>>
File: IMG_6659.jpg (278 KB, 4032x3024)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>4716379
idk what the one on the left is but I liked the limey yellow skin color so i got it
>>
>>4716382
You just never know. Wasn't expecting to see these.
>>
>>4716501
Fukcq
https://easternmarineaquariums.co.nz/collections/fish/products/biota-captive-bred-yellow-tang?variant=40512795181111
>>
File: kill me.jpg (44 KB, 989x633)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>
>>4714854
>>4714860
What fish goes best with yellowtail chromis damsels?
>>
>>4716385
What's easier SPS or LPS?
>>
>>4716530
Ayyo got anya dem dayah shrimps homie? A'm tired them muthafuckin pellets bro.
>>
>>4716543
LPS usually, though there are naturally some finicky LPS and some hardy SPS. On the whole tho, LPS are typically easier. Softies, other than azooxanthellate softies, are almost certainly the easiest to keep. If you’re just starting out, get a toadstool leather (softie) or a Duncan coral (LPS). If you want a hardy SPS, seriatapora (birdsnest) can be a bit forgiving, and serves as a cheap and reliable “canary in a coalmine” to check if you stand a chance of keeping more needy SPS
>>
>>4716372
>t. I still was only pretending to be retarded.
>>
File: 1302284667759.jpg (15 KB, 300x323)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>Culturing bloodworms, daphnia and mosquito larvae outside in shade
>Check this morning they're all full of bubbles
What the fuck
>Oh hey anon. I poured like a bunch of vinegar in those buckets outside with that shit in them but that didn't work, so I stirred in dishwashing liquid too
>Ok why
>Dude I opened the door this morning and a mosquito flew in
Never seen someone act so bitter when told they're disappointing.
>>
File: 1233363435266.gif (3 KB, 172x303)
3 KB
3 KB GIF
>>4716646
Try harder.
>>
>>4716989
This thread is dead
>>
>>4717680
Your face.
>>
File: IMG_20240130_172047.jpg (2.1 MB, 4000x1800)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
i think i finally beat dinos, have a bit of diatoms now but it's been 3 days since I turned the lights back on and sofar so good.
my duncan coral is probably dead and I lost a cleaner shrimp and some snails though. want to get more biodiversity and will buy some pods and different green macroalgae if i can afford it
>>
>>4719068
How did you do it? Currently battling dinos and cyano in my tank, got a m. spongodes dying rn and need advice
>>
>>4716989
>t. still retarded
>>
>>4719339
If you want to get serious with it, you need to identify what kind(s) of dino you have, which requires a microscope, and not a shitty digital microscope as those rarely have the sharpness to properly identify these things, even if it advertises 1000000000000000000000x magnification. Different types of dino require different solutions. Most people just start throwing whatever shit they can read online about it and end up wasting time and money and not getting anywhere.
Amphidiniums (large and small cell) and Prorocentrum are best dealt with by dosing sodium silicate to force a diatom bloom to outcompete dinos. UV does not work at all on them.

Ostreopsis and Coolia can be combated with UV (although most people vastly undersize their UV for this application and fail).

There's also a matter of balancing NO3 and PO4. If you aren't fixing the root cause, the issue will return eventually. E.g. 0/0 will get you dinos, although you can certainly have dinos with higher Nitrate/Phosphate, and even worse, you can have dinos and out of whack Nitrate/Phosphate which will also cause cyano, which is what you're experiencing.

Cyano MAY be solved with more flow, but not always and it's not always reasonable to simply add more flow, depending on your tank size, setup, budget, or stocking anyway.

TL:DR; get a decent non-digital microscope and actually identify what you have, then seek solutions. You will save yourself a lot of trouble this way.
>>
File: IMG_20240131_120509.jpg (1.22 MB, 1512x2320)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>4719339
I did a 90% waterchange with extremely aggressive sandstirring in the beginning, + adding a polishfilter in my tidal 50 that i changed out twice during. Added a bacterial additive called microbe lift special blend.

Then, I turned the lights off, completely. There was still light in the apartment but it was otherwise pretty dim. Then, I dosed PO4, NO3 + K at night and added carbon (also at night) and added the microbe lift every second day at night. Did sandstirring every second day during the day, ran ozone in the first 3 days at daytime. Basically, trying to kill bacterial population at daylight and feeding bacterial population at night.
After around 4 days, 70% of the dinos receded and I put a bit of po4 and no3 into my ATO and stopped sandstirring. After around 1.5 weeks, everything was mostly clean, no dinos, so I turned the lights on for a day and you could already see them creep up a bit, so i turned the lights off again, dosed more po4no3carbon + microbe lift special blend and after 4 more days where it looked really clean I turned the lights back on with just blue spectrum, and now ramped up the rest. I still dose po4, carbon and no3 at night just to make sure. I also run an airstone at day since I dont have a skimmer and I suspect it might help good aerobic bacteria

Pic related was my tank during the 90% waterchange, it looked legitimately horrible.
>>
>>4719459
I want to add, before I had a mixed reef tank with no waterchanges ever, that ran awesome, and the key difference was, I had a refugium low flow sump. I didnt even have proper baffles, but just used some sponge to seperate. Didnt even use filter socks. Detritus accumulated in the low flow sump, shitton of amphipods ate it, and the water got polished through the sandy, liverock macroalgae section.
Displaytank had liverock from the get go though, so it could have also been that.

If I ever do a tank again, i would do it the same, but maybe with a skimmer in my returnpump section to dial any nutrient imbalances
>>
time to test my nitrates
>>
This DIY rockwork takes way more effort than the 1 minute youtube videos make it look.
eMarco IMO is shit, over half the joins have cracked and/or fallen off. So I went and grabbed some acrylic bond juice and hydraulic cement powder works so much fucking easier and stronger, doesn't shrink/split just the only problem being that it sets rock hard in less than 2 minutes.
>>
File: IMG_20240201_211538[1].jpg (2.4 MB, 4624x2080)
2.4 MB
2.4 MB JPG
Got a bristleworm in the sump lads, didn't even know I had them. Looks like we're well on our way to establishing a biome.
Praise be the lowly and dirty seed tank.
>>
>>4719742
>This DIY rockwork takes way more effort than the 1 minute youtube videos make it look.
For a decent sized tank, people usually take days to do it.

Personally I don't like going to the extreme end of rockscaping that's all the rage now. It destroys the natural features of the rock and reduces the texture and thus surface area when you cover it with a shit ton of cement or putty because you've broken down the rocks into tiny chunks in order to make a super specific shape.
>>
File: IMG_20240202_174729.jpg (642 KB, 2525x1136)
642 KB
642 KB JPG
>>4720072
Fair. I'm in it for the surface area and making sure there are hideyholes.
I don't much care if I slather a marcorock with cement, but dead coral rock is just so deliciously porous and structured that it feels bad putting any on it.
>>
I just got 2 piles of rocks
>>
>>4720305
Aw yiss, rocks.
>>
>>4688745
Anyone have a cowfish or boxfish? Would love to see it
>>
I kept a list of corals that I killed to remind myself how much I suck ass at reefing
>>
>>4722799
i keep a small pile of skeletons on my desk
>>
damn my loose little glass thermometer broke in my tank at some point
guess someday i or a fish will get cut by glass
>>
File: IMG_20240207_191204[1].jpg (513 KB, 1850x832)
513 KB
513 KB JPG
>>4723639
The blameyard®
>>4723690
Like the fragile CFL's of yesteryear, "Shit, I better vacuum that up"
>The two pieces that flew off 50 yards away
>>
>>4723783
the glass is lost in the tank somewhere as far as i know
either i or my wrasse or a snail will get sliced but thats a problem for the future
>>
>>4723803
Sounds kinky. Keep a broad spectrum in the emergency drawer.
>>
>>4690046
Uh-huh, now view it under natural colored light.
>>
>>4699923
Many such cases.
>>
>>4709478
Just raise the temperature of your tank to the correct temperature. It's not hard. Most "reef" (coral and fish) tank retards these days do a lot of stupid shit we never did in the 90s. Just goes to show technology never solves a god damned thing. Culture rots all the same. Reefers today think they should be keeping their tanks at 75° because their corals will "bleach" otherwise (they won't) because every zoomer has an IQ of 70 and was raised on global warming alarmism. The fact is, once you keep your tank habitually below about 80, dinoflagellates became nearly unavoidable. This is a completely new issue. It is a problem that never used to exist. And it's entirely caused by reefer culture and their typical scientific illiteracy. Another constant problem is every reefer these days will ARGUE with you that reefs aren't supposed to be oligotrophic systems and actively TRY to keep their tanks polluted with excess phosphates and nitrates because they think (wrongly) they have to keep fertilizing their corals. ALL modern reefers have persistent algal problems because of this, aside from like the top 5% who have very established tanks with lush coral growth sucking up all the nutrients.

Modern reefers have all the tools available for perfect success we never had 30 years ago, and yet every modern reef tank is a trainwreck.
>>
File: IMG_20240207_201034.jpg (2.08 MB, 4000x1800)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>4723901
I already solved it, see >>4719068 >>4719459 and pic related. Bit of hair algae that appeared during the dino phase thats slowly getting smaller

I accidentally broke my heater while moving apartments, but haven't had to use it since my new flat is extremely well insulated. Temp in the tank is fluctuating between 23-24.5°C in winter and 25-26°C in summer, so I never bothered buying one again.

>Another constant problem is every reefer these days will ARGUE with you that reefs aren't supposed to be oligotrophic systems and actively TRY to keep their tanks polluted with excess phosphates and nitrates because they think (wrongly) they have to keep fertilizing their corals.
I want to have an extensive macroalgae tank, so I'm kinda bound on dosing nutrients. I would want to put more fish in if the space would allow it for some added baseline poop but I live in europe and getting any small fish like Eviota Sp. is hard.
>>
>>4723896
>natural colored light
What light spectrum do you think is most visible underwater?
>>
>>4723901
>The fact is, once you keep your tank habitually below about 80, dinoflagellates became nearly unavoidable. This is a completely new issue. It is a problem that never used to exist. And it's entirely caused by reefer culture and their typical scientific illiteracy. Another constant problem is every reefer these days will ARGUE with you that reefs aren't supposed to be oligotrophic systems and actively TRY to keep their tanks polluted with excess phosphates and nitrates because they think (wrongly) they have to keep fertilizing their corals.
This is going into schizo territory. There is a lot of active discussion on this, and one of the biggest sources of info in the hobby, at least on the US side, is BRS, and BRS advocates low nutrient levels for beginners in general. The vast majority of sources online don't even advocate replicating natural seawater parameters these days anyway. Like who even advocates for an alk of 7 dKH for instance?

As for reef tanks 30 years ago... they were shit. A lot of these problems didn't exist because a lot of these problems were just moot. Like would a reefer care if their acropora wasn't showing good coloration? No, because the vast majority of even serious reefers in the 90's couldn't keep acropora even alive. You really have a bad case of rose colored glasses. My dad and aunt have been keeping reef tanks since the 70's and I grew up with them, and quite frankly the hobby was an absolute shitshow with most reefers playing the "throw shit in there and see what lives" game combined with the "I'll just replace it in a few months," mentality. These days I've had fucking snails and hermit crabs live longer than most coral colonies I saw in the 80's and 90's.
>>
>>4723901
Retard, I live in a part of the world where it's 28°C/82°F year round and you absolutely cannot keep a reef at room temperature. There are some people who use small fan coolers and manage to drop the temperature by 1-2 degrees C and keep the corals alive but even they struggle. If you dont chill them in some way they slowly wither and die. But I guess every single reefer from my region in the last 50 years is wrong, right?
>>
File: figure6.2.4-1.png (15 KB, 545x603)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>4724128
Retard. Good thing no one is dumb enough to take what you say seriously. And for measure I just checked the average yearly temperature of the coral reef that is located on our coastline and it ranges from 26 to 29C depending on the depth, despite the surface measuring at 30-32. I'd post the university website if it wasnt a bloody dox.
>>
File: 5641564.png (40 KB, 350x320)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>4724142
You idiot, I LIVE in a tropical area and that is the temperature of the reefs here. And, according to ocean temperature maps, Hawaii is colder than here. You are conflating surface temperature with the temperature at 30-50 meters which his where most of aquaria corals live. I can go to a beach 40 miles from here which has corals so close to the surface that you can walk on them. And they are nothing like what we keep in our tanks. The tolerance that certain species have to temperature obviously varies, which is further corroborated by the fact that the reef ecossystem is stratified by species and coral groups. The same thing is observed in any beginner aquarium with the dynamic of light incidence and PAR ratings.
And, like I said, there are tens of thousands of reef keepers here who would just love to keep their tanks at room temperatures because we often have to create some weird devices to keep the temperature at a reasonable pace because most people dont want or cant afford to have a chiller.
>>
File: 5646415165.png (325 KB, 2950x1094)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
In fact, it seems that lower temperatures resulting from the influence of oceanic tides in the shallow coastal areas are a precondition for the development of coral reefs. In this graph A represents summer and B is fall. The first black line is the cutoff point of the 50m total depth. All measurements were taken at a depth of 5m. The temperature on the surface (10cm) ranges from 28 to 30°C. Which means that the ambient temperature of shallow reefs is even cooler than I imagined.
>>
>>4688745
I love learning new things about the natural world from people who are completely inept at anything but quickly searching things on google to prove another retard wrong on a Uganan cold-calling forum. Keep it coming. It's unironically a great way to just learn random shit.
>>
>>4724294
good laugh, will check it out
>>
>>4724294
Nah, noone gives a fuck.
>>
>>4724294
Yeah you got wiped for illegal stuff.
Now, because you've admitted ban evading, they'll rangeban you.
>>
>>4724406
Lol i missed his replies, wth did he say
>>
>>4724406
There was no illegal stuff. At least in the last posts. He probably got banned for trolling. Wasnt me who reported him, though.
>>
>>4724408
something about doing it with dogs
>>
>>4724880
Let it all out, anon.
>>
File: 651861.png (415 KB, 756x1141)
415 KB
415 KB PNG
>>4724880
>which is hilarious since those are normal reef temps
They're not, you're dumb. And this is from 1928, so, long before any of your supposed climate alarmism became a relevant phenomenon. And it still mentions bleaching at higher temperatures (like some of the peak temps in the first column) in other parts of the book. Notice how it focuses on surface measurements (due to technological limitations of the time) but later on says:
>Although the annual temperature of the water on Waikiki reef at 100 feet from the shore may range through 100C. the extreme variation experienced by a large proportion of the corals is much less. Few species Of corals exist on the section Of reef surveyed within 100 feet Of the shore line. Most of them are beyond the 150 foot line and as the water deepens from the shore toward the outer edge of the reef the extreme variations of temperature both diurnal and annual become less marked Therefore, most of the corals of this section of reef are living under fairly constant thermal conditions. A few species, however, approach the Shore quite closely: Pocillopora cespitosa was found within 40 feet Of theshore; Stephanaria stellata, within 60 feet; and Montipora verrucosa and porites compressa forma centralis subforma granimurata, about 80 feet from the shore. During an extremely low tide the species which exist near the shore line, although never wholly exposed to the air, are covered by but a few inches of water. When low tides occur at night these coral colonies are subjected to a minimum temperature but when low water occurs in the late afternoon they must endure, during the summer months,a temperature which approaches or even slightly exceeds 30 C.
http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/pubs-online/pdf/bull45.pdf
Newer measurements focused on the effects of bleaching caused by climate change can be found here:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00402312
>>
Wow you got banned so cool and totally not just pathetic.
>>
>>4725900
Wow you're a bitch that flew in from reddit. That means your stupid ass opinions must be right because nobody has ever argued with you before!
>>
So mad. Must be from gaia.
>>
>>4725669
there’s a face i haven’t seen in years…
>>
Some reading material that seemed interesting.
https://reefs.com/magazine/elemental-analysis-of-skimmate-what-does-a-protein-skimmer-actually-remove-from-aquarium-water/

Never even heard of a downdraft skimmer
https://reefs.com/magazine/further-studies-on-protein-skimmer-performance/
>>
Now that the redditor has been banned and we can have a conversation again:
1) Which UV sterilizer is best for killing dinos? I already have one that I used for dealing with green water in a freshwater tank, would that matter? UV radiation is UV radiation, why would it matter the type?
2) Also, the recommendation for green water is to keep the water flow as low as possible, so the water goes through it slowly and it has time to properly kill the algae. Some websites were suggesting high flow in the sterilizer to deal with dinos, is that true? Why wouldn't you want low flow to make sure that whatever's in the water the moment it's in the sterilizer gets properly... sterilized?
>>
>>4726563
Never used UV, but I agree with your logic.
It's an almost guaranteed way to rile up reef forums to say that you don't know what the flow rate through your UV is, so I would caution that match the recommendation of the supplier is preferred. Enough UV to kill/sterilize the target organism, but not so slow that you're only DEFINITELY killing 10% of the total system water. Should be adequate enough to eyeball head pressure/flow charts for whatever you may have on hand.
Sterilized != dead, you will also need to remove that biomass from the tank lest it slowly go back to base nutrients.

My 0.01 on something I've never used, much less experienced first hand the dino cycle and propensity to disperse during the off-cycle of lighting.
>>
>>4726733
>Enough UV to kill/sterilize the target organism, but not so slow that you're only DEFINITELY killing 10% of the total system water.
As far as I understand, all the actual necessary beneficial bacteria is on surfaces and thus and cleansing of the watercolumn should be fine, except maybe ozone.
But yea, I would just dial the flow rate slower and slower and each step let it run for 2 days and see if theres improvement
>>
>>4726733
>remove that biomass from the tank lest it slowly go back to base nutrients
Isn't that a good thing though? Everyone says dinos happen when you have low nutrients, and they recommend to avoid water changes, protein skimmers, and all the other stuff that lowers nutrients.
>>
>>4727087
>Everyone says dinos happen when you have low nutrients
Lol more of that modern reefer goodbrainism. I have NEVER ONCE seen anyone cure dinos that believes this. Not one single time. The most I've ever seen is someone getting them to go away for a while, but they can do that anyway for all kinds of reasons. Again, dinoflagellates ARE NOT a problem we had in the 90s. Most reefers had never even heard of them, despite making up the majority of marine phytoplankton, because the good reefers didn't consistently overstock their tanks and intentionally dirty the water like modern reefers do.
>>
>>4727105
Seconding never hearing of anyone doing anything beneficial to the tank when zeroing out nutrients to kill x pest.
Perhaps wires are crossed when running shit like flatworm exit to nuke the whole tank and being a lazy fucker about removing the bodies before they pollute the tank with toxins.

That said, where do you sit with fleece rollers, socks, skimmers and fuge in regard to not appreciating 'keeping the tank dirty' which is some of the rhetoric I've been hearing more recently. Seems to be 2 main camps at the moment; Rollers are the ducks nuts or rollers are stripping too much.
>>
>>4727290
Also the fucking "turn the lights off then back on again", like they're cycling a fucking router. This shit used to drive me nuts on a fucking daily basis when my coworkers would tell customers this shit. And EVERYONE in the industry believed it.
>>
>>4727325
They need only look at a few papers on diatoms and how they give zero fucks in a low to no light or even anoxic environment.
"Reefing is a trailblazing hobby", said no paper ever.
>>
>>4727290
You're confusing two different kinds of "dirty" first of all. Detritus is not "dirty". It's a necessary component of marine habitats and all filter feeders benefit from leaving it in the tank. People honestly think coral reefs are these spotless environments but that's absolute horseshit. Even on pristine reefs far from humans, there is always detritus floating around or hanging off some crevice and cyanobacteria on the sand. I only use things like sponge prefilters or guards to block small animals from getting themselves into trouble, never to filter out detritus. Use baffles or something and suck it out if you really want to get rid of it. It's much gentler on your meiofauna. That's the first kind of "dirty".

The second kind of dirty is chemical waste like nitrate and phospates in the water. Those should be immeasurable in a correctly run tank. PERIOD. There is NO room for debate on this shit. Most home test kits can't even measure how low these two nutrients are supposed to be for actual coral reef conditions to be met. I have only encountered ONE TIME an aquarist that had too few nutrients - his corals were actually mildly bleaching from lack of nutrients. But his tank was also huge, had almost nothing in it but inverts and a pair of clowns that he fed lightly three times a week. This kind of dirty should not be happening if you know what the fuck you're doing.
>>
>>4727327
That's mostly for really bad aquarists that have green algae problems. But it happens all the fucking time.

>"Reefing is a trailblazing hobby"
That's the funny thing. Reefkeeping WAS a trailblazing hobby. In the 90s. And it was a very exciting time. We were just getting the first taste of keeping very difficult animals alive. There was so much crazy shit on the market like Miracle Mud. We still had to use fluorescent and halide lights. That's why everyone had to act responsibly back then. Because we couldn't afford to do whatever the fuck we wanted. We literally didn't have the technology. That's why we already FIXED most of the problems back then that modern reefers are causing now with their laziness and stubborn ignorance.
>>
>>4727329
sorry why would you want to keep nitrates and phosphates that low? just trying to understand
>>
>>4727419
Why wouldn't you, retard? They're waste products. Go read about what a coral reef is.
>>
>>4727438
you are not particularly smart stay in your containment thread
>>
>>4727419
Nitrates and phosphates are either toxic of growth-hampering on corals depending on the quantity. They are also necessary but you should only dose them if you have experimented with the daily consumption in ppm and in very small quantities, po4 needs to be, like, 0,02 or something like that for optimum growth. Tests usually only measure down to .25.
>>4727330
My nitrates were so low that I killed a cheeto once. lol. But yeah that only happens when carbon dosing. Fixed it with simply feeding the fish more as my tank is not hat big and all the corals are doing fine.
>>
>>4727439
Okay, jewess. Now go do a google search on the term "oligotrophic".

>>4727453
The best source of nitrates and phosphates are fish. That's what fertilizes corals in the wild. I try to tell customers this all the time and they never listen, instead opting for dumping bottle after bottle of pollutants into their tanks. Because it's "science" that makes it more gooder.

>cheeto
It's called "chaeto" if you must. Which is short for Chaetomorpha. And it's pronounced KITE-oh.

>Fixed it with simply feeding the fish more as my tank is not hat big and all the corals are doing fine.
Correct procedure.
>>
>>4727645
I will call if cheetos if I want, okay?
>>
>>4727905
Chay-der
>>
>>4727645
>>4727453
i never mentioned dosing, dont be fags now.
>>
File: 23das.jpg (25 KB, 643x514)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>4727645
>It's called "chaeto" if you must. Which is short for Chaetomorpha. And it's pronounced KITE-oh
>>
File: 1611058697961.jpg (947 KB, 3024x4032)
947 KB
947 KB JPG
>>4728105
>Not pronouncing it 'kay-toe
>>
File: omg dinos!.png (424 KB, 500x506)
424 KB
424 KB PNG
>>4728105
>Um being right is bad actually, sweaty
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV2nlz7rEyo
If my skimmer is even 1/4th as good as this one, I would be happy.
>>
File: 1707945595770673.png (777 KB, 800x809)
777 KB
777 KB PNG
>>4728393
I have altered the meme. Pray I do not alter it further.
>>
I need to take care of my backup system more seriously
>>
File: 1247539636707.jpg (16 KB, 489x395)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>Win auction for skimmer
>Pay the monies
>No correspondence since
>>
>>4729217
If it's ebay, make sure they don't steal your money for the shipping. They did this to me a few years ago and it made me abandon the site.
>>
>>4729233
Courier was organized on my end, company rates, I've sent the shipping label but radio silence.
At least it wasn't a full price reef octopus skimmer, I suppose.
>>
>>4729217
I hope it was the curve 5 i lost out on because i fell asleep because i wanted it
>>
File: no uu.jpg (24 KB, 308x307)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>4729689
Bully.
Elite 150INT
>>
Oh thank goodness, they're sending the skimmer tomorrow.
>>
Hm the skimmer I want is on sale at Bulk Jew Supply but I don't really want to support them
Maybe I'll see how much this gift code is from an order I just made is and hope the sale is still on
>>
>>4730326
>Doesn't like bjs
Anon it's ok if you're gay.
>>
>>4730326
Never bought anything from them. Are they that bad? I like their videos.
>>
>>4730507
No, they're not that bad.
>>
>>4730507
Their information is OK
they push the expensive products because they control the expensive products and try to push off more budget friendly things
I like their filter socks and RODI consumables
>>
>>4730675
It's worth noting that they were bought out in 2021, who then bought Neptune Systems and EcoTech Marine (Who own AquaIllumination - AI) around 2021/2022. Naturally, they promote those products as standard when doing their videos. The AI Blade push was pretty shameless, but not untrue in their pushing, they did a few videos on shadowing and 'LED laser' puck designs at the same time. 6ft tank? get 3x XR30's and supplement with a pair or two of AI Blades all easily controlled by Neptune Apex.

Their videos are informative, usually with a bias at the time of print, but IMO they're not at in your face about it as they were before the acquisition.
>Last week we told you skimmers are basically a must-have, this week we'll try to convince you that having a turf scrubber is just as good!
>>
>>
Hermit crabs rock
>>
>>4726126
4900ppm phosphates holy moly
>>
>>4719068
Clowns are social fish, you shouldn't keep them on their own.
>>
>>4713539
Pulsing xenia are worse, but I like them. My tank is 90% pulsing xenia at this point but my fish like them.
>>
My LFS has a sale of their old batteries going on right now. a 15g tank going for $10... I'm tempted but I dont have the space.
>>4732794
True but he might have trouble with agression if he adds another clown now. You kinda always need to pair them early on or have a big enough tank.
>>
>>4732808
I added 25 more clownfish to my tank when my pair was 6 years old, just use a separator until they get used to one another. Juvenile clownfish enter new groups all the time in the wild, why should it be impossible in a tank?
>>
>>4732814
Because of space constraints. In a small tank the smaller fish cant really flee from the big female very easily and it will always be sort of threatening its dominance.
>>
File: 1685679926253630.webm (2.95 MB, 640x640)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
>>4732820
I don't think I've ever seen any aggression from my female, the male pushes her around but he keeps the order with the smaller fish too. No idea how she became the female and him the male.
>>
File: IMG_6953.jpg (442 KB, 4032x3024)
442 KB
442 KB JPG
snow
>>
>>4688745
I have an 80 gallon lagoon aquarium in my room and it's been here sitting empty and unplumbed for months because my dad changed his mind saying that it's too much work and I'll be out of state within a couple years anyways
>>
File: 1481360590690.jpg (24 KB, 366x286)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>4733189
>In a couple years
Nothing to lose anon, get you a drill and diamond bit.
>>
>>4733071
Unless it’s from undisturbed sandbed, detritus storm is good. Corals eat detritus after all.
>>
>>4733215
No you must run a an aggressive roller mat, oversize your skimmer and tune it for wet skimmate, also 99% of people overfeed their tank and that means you! If your chaeto isn't melting you need to feed less!
>>
>>4733215
Snow isn’t random detritus, though. It’s usually some form of colloided CaCO that comes in a bottle.
>>
>>4733215
its chalk that i put in my tank babe
>>
File: IMG_6976.jpg (886 KB, 4032x3024)
886 KB
886 KB JPG
and i dont know what im doing
>>
File: Kushikara.jpg (253 KB, 1920x1080)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
The aiptasia problem has gotten so bad that at this point I just kill the ones that are touching and near my corals. I couldn't be bothered to kill them all now.
>>
Water flow is more important than corals
>>
>>4733786
Diamond is the hardest metal.
>>
>corals are so happy that they produce eggs
To me, this is peak success.
>>
>>4733809(me)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/after-some-time-off-20in-modded-cube.346125/page-4#post-7006452
Pic related is his tank. This R2R post is a short summary of his routine.
>>
>>4733225
Heavy in and heavy out is the best way to feed your corals
>>
File: stratosphere-watermarked.jpg (280 KB, 2048x1365)
280 KB
280 KB JPG
>>
>>4732794
I plan to, just didn't have the time to yet.
>>
>>4732794
I have a maroon clownfish. It has been a gentle fish for almost a year now. Don't animals get aggressive during mating? I don't want her to change behavior by adding another maroon. She can totally drew blood if she wanted too.
>>
>>
File: IMG_20240228_194220[1].jpg (926 KB, 2775x1248)
926 KB
926 KB JPG
Aww yiss, we are now ghettoing with style.
>>
Idk why but throwing out some chaeto makes me extra hungry for spinach and ricotta quiche.
Maybe if I mentally call it kay-toe instead of cheese-toe.
>>
>>4737389
You should hang that refugium light
>>
I got electrocuted for a good few seconds after carelessly grabbing an 18W refugium light while my hands still wet. It wasn't fun.
>>
Herro im wondering about getting a few clown fish (4-6) how big of an aquarium do you recommend and what are somethings that are important to think about, i have read some online alredy but i think there is a some merit to ask actuall keepers about it, so here i am opening up my ass for criticue. was planing to do a 20-40 gall tank

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.