[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: discus.jpg (1.24 MB, 1500x1500)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
Round boy edition

previous >>4717492

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including tanks, bowls, inhabitants, logs, decor, women, and issues. Before asking questions in this thread, make sure you give us at least some details when asking a question, such as:

>Tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
>Unusual Parameters (nitrate, pH, GH, KH)
>Any inhabitants + how long you've had them
>Age of the tank
>Pictures are always helpful

Tank Cycling:
>www.modestfish.com/how-to-cycle-your-aquarium/

Stocking and Water Change Calculator:
>www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php
>www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/EffectiveWaterChange.php

Articles and Care Guides:
>www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/
>www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/
>www.aquariumcoop.com/
>www.theaquariumwiki.com/wiki/

Aquatic Plant Database:
>www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php
>www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

Saltwater:
>brs 5 minute guides
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlUv9SRB_g8
>https://reefbuilders.com/reef-tank-setup/
>>
I made a small concession and added some plastic plants temporarily until things grow in more. Colombian giant ramshorn snail is currently attempting to chew on them.
>>
File: 20240207_154045.jpg (1.05 MB, 4000x1800)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
bros look at this cool snail that hitched a ride on the plants i got from the springs

there is another one with the same type shell but it isn't this awesome orange color. Right now I just have snails in my tank (15 feeders, 2 mystery, and ?? wild). I'm letting them go to town on the algae that was growing all over the wild plants i grabbed. Unfortunately, I think some of those wild plants are going to die but we will see... I'm still working on getting everything set up and landscaped before I start adding fish.
>>
File: cherrygum.jpg (38 KB, 600x485)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Frozen bloodworms day
>>4724109
Neat
>>
>>4724109
haha he looks like peenor
>>
>>4724112
there's also some poo!
>>
best aquarium video content to watch?
>>
I've decided I want a field of grass i my tank

how do I plant the entire bottom
>>
>>4724115
Lately I've been watching several of this guy's videos. Small channel good information as far as I can tell from the topics I already know some about.
https://www.youtube.com/@AquascapingCube/videos
>>
>>4724123
The phrase you're looking for is 'carpeting plants'. Apparently this can be a bit of a challenge to get that front lawn bottom appearance.
>>
>>4724115
Father Fish is the GOAT
>>
>>4724129
thanks

is it possible to plant seeds in a tank that already has water in it...feels like they will just float
>>
>>4724132
The usual technique appears to be buying carpeting plant cultures, plant, propagate, growth, propagate and repeat until done.
>>
>>4724135
yea probably not going to happen lol

might just keep plucking more grass from the wild. idk mannnn i just want a jungle
>>
File: IMG_20240207_191609.jpg (365 KB, 1599x1204)
365 KB
365 KB JPG
Please look at my Dario Dario's new tank. He seems to enjoy it.
>>
>>4724194
I like it. Very girthy and substantial log anchoring the whole thing together. Satisfying. I've never kept darios but want to at some point.
>>
>>4724194
very nice anon
>>
Can I really just not change the water in a planted tank? My nitrates never go above 5 ppm, but surely other stuff builds up in the water that needs to be removed?
>>
>>4724211
That's correct. If you have a planted, balanced tank, you don't need water changes.
Water changes are a meme. I have three aquariums (one of them a reef tank) and I haven't done water changes in any of them in the past two years.
>>
File: IMG_20240207_200258.jpg (286 KB, 1599x1204)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
>>4724201
Thank you, I like wood in my tanks.

Such as this tank.
>>
>>4724201
> Very girthy and substantial log
my dick be like
>>
>>4724211
>surely other stuff builds up in the water that needs to be removed?
Potentially. It depends. If you've got a nice jungle going that never allows any significant amount of nitrate to build up, your main thing that may benefit from water change is total dissolved solids and dissolved organics. This sort of thing generally calls for a water change a few times per year rather than your bare tank no plant 30% per week deal. Also replacing whatever water you're pulling out doing a routine vacuum.
>>
>>4724211
If you're not heavily stocked and have easy plants, you probably can get away with just top offs, especially if you use tap or remineralized RODI to replenish micros. In practice, most tanks benefit from new, clean water now and again, even if it's just 15% once a month.
>>
>>4724216
Blackwater tanks make my boy-parts tingle.

Seriously though, that is nice! Moody af.
>>
>>4724232
>total dissolved solids
Lol, he doesn't know about duckweed.
>>4724239
> remineralized RODI
Waste of money, just use tap water.
> new, clean water now and again
That's what the top offs do, anon.
>>
>>4724295
>RODI waste of money
It's okay anon, we know you can only keep basic hardy fish. You're still a good aquarist, don't let the elitists get you down.
>>
>>4724123
You use dirt with a sand cap. Or you use aquasoil.

Don’t mix carpeting plants. If you’re going for a dwarf hairgrass carpet (which many do) then don’t get Java moss. Also don’t get loaches. They will screw up your carpet.

Father Fish is your guide in all of this. He will lead you to enlightenment.
>>
File: shrimpcake.jpg (369 KB, 720x1070)
369 KB
369 KB JPG
>Get two cherry shrimp right before New Year's, one red male + one orange berried female
>Never acclimated before but the cute gothic chick working at Petco told me to so alright I guess
>Can't wrap my head around engineering some Rube Goldberg contraption to drip acclimate
>Float the plastic bag containing the shrimp on top of the tank while adding water every 5 minutes for like half an hour
>Put shrimp in tank
>Fast forward to present day, the two adults are still alive and there're like 20 shrimplets rapidly growing and regularly molting
Is it safe to say these little shrimpniggers are doing fine? I haven't done anything in particular like adding calcium supplements to help them molt or feeding them outside of uneaten earthworm scraps my salamander leaves lying around
[spoiler]I feel bad for the red one since the female was listed as an Orange Bee shrimp (Caridina) and he might never get laid unless I buy a Neocaridina female[/spoiler]
>>
>>4724049
Huh. Well apparently I have more bladder snails than I thought. The bladders like the plastic. Looks like I have... 12? 14? Alright cool that'll help polish off the diatoms.
>>
>>4724044
>Discuss anything aquarium related
not
>Discus anything aquarium related
you had one job
>>
File: diskus.jpg (183 KB, 1080x1350)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>4724388
>>
>>4724363
Yeah. You really should drop acclimatize shrimp because they are very sensitive to osmotic shock (even daily fluctuations in a co2 tank) but that usually kills the shrimp in under a week.
Shrimp supplements are going to be trace minerals, which you will only need with the less hardy species or maybe if your water is really soft, calcium carbonate to raise your kh for osmotic stability and calcium and magnesium salts (CaCO3 is also common here) to increase your gh to the desireable levels of around 4 for cherry shrimp.
But you usually don’t need to deal with this. In my experience, the main causes of having a shrimp colony die on you is water contamination (be careful when sticking your hand in there. Other small inverts are the canary mines) and bacterial infection coming from gunk on your substrate (that’s why you use a small dish to feed them).
>>
>>4724363
On, and are you sure that one shrimp is caridina? People that same term to define a solid orang neocaridina color morph and golden bee for a caridina species that has an opaque white and orange banded color, possibly with other genetic traits that make them visually distinct. They also are quite sensitive, liking a low ph with a stricter control of your other nutrients.
Anyways, if it is neocaridna, you still have to worry about the species of neocaridina. They will still breed but if they are too distantly related with the red ones the offspring will come off as brown and transparent, which is not very desireable. I don’t remember the specifics, sadly, but you can find info about them on the internet.
>>
>>4724295
>Waste of money, just use tap water.
For most people, you are right, but people who keep fancy caridina shrimp that cost $50 a pop OR that have absolutely awful tap water with no nutrients and fucked up ph should use RO/DI with fresh trace and mineralize.
>>
File: IMG20240208192111.jpg (2.81 MB, 3468x4624)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB JPG
>>4724363
This is my drip contraption, just air line and a terracotta pot.
>>
>>4724400
I use clothespin to fix the airline tubing on the aquarium wall and drip container with some random string (floss or a shoe lace do just fine) to fine tune the flow.
>>
>>4724363
>adding calcium supplements
I found that with shrimp, giving them food that's high in calcium (like brussel sprouts, spinach, broccoli) works better than wasting money on supplements, cuttlefish bones, and so on.
>>
File: worm (1).webm (1.2 MB, 1080x1920)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB WEBM
bros... there's all sorts of creepy crawlies in my tank. And the snails are starting to lay eggs. I think I need to get this under control soon kek
>>
>>4724449
80% sure that's leech
get rid of it asap if it actually is
>>
>>4724463
fuck.. hopefully i can find him again
>>
>>4724044
Why would a female fish get a prolapse?
Its an older swordtail, quite big but not preggers.
First time I see a fish get one in like 6 years of keeping fishe.
>>
File: IMG_20240208_102700.jpg (293 KB, 1599x1204)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
Observe my cory herd
>>
>>4724485
Nice cows
>>
>>4724485
just corin' around
>>
>>4724449
Looks like a leech to me. Nasty hitchiker. And it looks like those are all egss. Get ready for a leech tank, anon. 18th century physicians would be proud of you.
>>4724481
Bacterial infection.
>>4724485
Love it.
>>
>>4724485
Water puppies
>>
>filter clean day
>inlet sponge clogged and I didn't notice
>it was running at around half flow
>clean
>remove the sponge as nothing is small enough to get in there anymore
>put back in, turn on
>fish get all excited and start playing in it
It's so cute, lads.
>>
I have a problem, my shrimp and snail breeding tank is full of fucking planaria. No idea how or when, but they seem to ignore the trap. What do you bait it with to really get them in there?
>>
Review of Seachem Tidal 35:
Everything is good about it except one (and a half*): flow rate adjustment is just a little plastic paddle thing that blocks a certain amount of flow at the point of water entry in to the filter reservoir. This has no detents or anything to make the adjustment incremental or precise in any way. Because the paddle is so light, if you set it to somewhere in the middle of its range it will often snap back to lowest flow. This is basically a full blast or low flow toggle instead of a flow rate dial. I have wedged a small piece of rubber in to the paddle shaft around to make it stay where I set it.
* This model has no intake spout. I don't know why they decided to make this one like this. All the other Tidals have the extended spout for taller tanks. Seems like an oversight. It would be nice to at least have the option.

Worth the extra money? Yes due to submerged impeller motor. Meaning quiet and self priming. Build quality is nice.,
>>
>>4724572
>>4724463
bros he disappeared into the tank. he's going to leech my snails :(
>>
>>4724659
Right. Now you need to add a thing that eats the leeches. Then a thing that eats the thing that eats the leeches. And finally a thing that eats the thing that eats the leeches. Community tank complete.
>>
>>4724130
Retard schizo christ cuck boomer. You're a contrarian if you agree with him.
>>
File: 1000000193.jpg (631 KB, 2000x1506)
631 KB
631 KB JPG
Thanks for advice on filter intake last thread. Changing the intake this weekend after I buy some more filter foam.
>>
>>4724669
Nice set up, anon. Looks cozy.
>>
File: IMG_0294.jpg (1.64 MB, 5712x4284)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
>>4724396
>>4724398
>>4724363
if the orange wasnt a neo, it wouldve self died inside of 3 days if he just yeeted into a random tank without careful parameter control and or knowledge of params. If its from petco ive never seen non neo/amano shrimp there so likely neo.

As for acclimating? Caridinas? Absolutely required if you want more then 20% of your stock surviving.

Neos? I get culls from a friend who is swapping to caridinas and is trying to cull out all the neos except 3-4 deep blue males. I just yeet them in a room temperature tank after 1 day of sitting next to it for temperature normalization. 90% of them survive. I grabbed 6-8 out of one of my caridina tanks and tossed them into my sulawesi tank (~71-72 degrees and 5.2pH 130 tds to 8.2pH and 84 degrees 280 tds, all but 2 survived with zero acclimation.)
>>
YOUR LFS HAS BEEN LYING TO YOU THIS WHOLE TIME, SALTWATER NEVER EXISTED BECAUSE THE EARTH IS FLAT. ALL FISH CAN SURVIVE IN FRESHWATER SETUPS AND ADDING SALT IS PURELY USED UP HELIUM MOLECULES THEY GRIND TO POWDER FOR AQUARIUM FOLK. DONT FALL FOR THE SALT WATER MEME. PUT YOUR CORALS IN FRESHWATER TANKS AND YOU WILL KNOW THE TRUTHS.

PAUL 3:26
EXODUS 2:3
>>
>>4724730
You joke but the opposite is true. A ton of common freshwater fish can live in saltwater just fine. Mollies, killifish, tilapia and rasboras are easy examples.
>>
Power has been off for three days and it came back on last night. Went from probably 60 to 75 again and all my Corys and Endler guppies died ;(
Used to have RO and it was changed for softener and sand filter, had a ton of iron in the cistern and was slow on water changes waiting for it to go down. Just filling from evap with spring water.
I failed them bros.. should have tested sooner nitrates were high too.
>>
>>4724662
goddamn i shoulda plucked that bad boy this morning when i saw him. I'm sure he is not the only one... any suggestions for something that will fuck these things up?

In other news, my plants seem to be taking up really well. The broad leaf one that I only found 2 of in the entire spring I was really worried about, but the I one I managed to remove with the root intact is already shooting up some new sprouts!
>>
>>4724742
Any medium to big fish will eat them.
>>
>>4724044
I have activated carbon in my internal filter that I change every now and again. Do I need to test my water for metals before I add shrimp or am I alright not doing that?
>>
>>4724776
Do you have any reason to believe there's metals in your water?
>>
>>4724776
No, but when I last tried shrimp (I lived in a completely different city) they all died and now I'm paranoid. The building I live in is brand new so the pipes should be good.
>>
File: genius.png (25 KB, 512x512)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>4724309
> buy a RODI system for freshwater
> do water changes even if the water quality is good
> buy a microscope to determine which dinos you have, don't just look at your tank in the morning and during the day
> buy supplements to grow your duckweed faster
>>
File: reddit bitch.jpg (34 KB, 557x305)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>4724802
>if you're not doing things the cheapest, most efficient way possible you're doing the hobby wrong
>>
File: dickens.png (53 KB, 403x448)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
>>4724803
> there's no nuance between the cheapest way and the most expensive way to do something
> so just waste your money on crap you don't actually need, to be on the safe side
> oh yeah, also give everyone a heads-up about how expensive this hobby is
> we have to gatekeep our community somehow
>>
>>4724802
>>4724803
>>4724841
We get it anon, you can't afford a RODI unit.
>>
>>4724861
>being unwilling to dump over £100 on a piece of a equipment when it's wholly unnecessary is a bad thing
I get it, The Autism makes you super obsessed with your hobbies but Jesus Christ anon did your parents never teach you anything regarding financial responsibility.
>>
ngl most of the tanks here are garbage boxes, so the opinions shared are invalid
>>
File: IMG20240123131924.jpg (3.45 MB, 3468x4624)
3.45 MB
3.45 MB JPG
>>4724867
>wholly unnecessary
Your existence is wholly unnecessary, but I'm not here begging your mom to swallow.
Thats the difference.
>>
>>4724861
> noooo, if you're against unnecessary spending you must not be able to afford it
cope
>>4724873
post tank. spoiler alert: you won't. because you don't have one.
>>
>>4724873
that's pretty rude anon

what inspired you to make this post?
>>
Accidentally reproduced ivory white mystery snail that I paid $10 for. Now I have 3 more. I feel accomplished
>>
>>4724861
> can barely afford renting a studio apartment in the ghetto
> buys a RODI system for guppies
Anon, what's the term for this lifestyle? Is it "African-American rich"?
>>
>>4724901
Nice
>>
>>4724919
Obviously my comment got to you, considering this is your third reply to it. Maybe go get a job, you seem to have an abundance of time to spend crying on a Mongolian shrimp breeding forum.
>>
I plan on re-scaping my settled tank.
I'll remove the fish and place them in a holding container until it settles but I won't fully drain the tank. Afterwards, Should I cycle it?
Fish -neon tetra
-Otos
- kuhli loach
-Shrimp
>>
>>4724953
May be a small bloom if you already have a 'cycled' filter, otherwise do a few precautionary ammonia tests in the week following the rescape as the colonized bacteria could peak/trough a few times.
So long as you haven't thrown everything out and started anew, the holding container should be considered a new and uncycled tank though. Otherwise, should be fine.
>>
>did you do your daily 30% water changes and weekly 80% change like I recommended?!?!
Why are internet aquarists so insane?
>>
>>4724968
>Making up scenarios in your head
Why are anons so lonely?
>>
File: 300px-One_man_band.jpg (34 KB, 300x474)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>4724969
You've never made shit up in front of your teenage friends to look cool and, though you do not know why, desperately seek their validation?

That said, there are videos out there of people taking their betta out of the 1/2gallon plastic tank and washing it with dishwashing liquid to clean it properly - sometimes even twice a week.
>>
>>4724981
>videos out there of people taking their betta out of the 1/2gallon plastic tank and washing it with dishwashing liquid
The failure of some retarded tiktoker is simply not my problem.
>>
>>4724981
You made up one scenario and backed it up with an entirely different scenario. How about you stop being a schizo?
>>
>>4724983
>Thinks everyone on 4chan other than him is a single person
Lol.
>>
>>4724044
>>
File: 1000010538.jpg (185 KB, 1200x628)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>4724901
Wat. Did you hatch a clutch several months ago and only 3 survived to whatever size you'd consider "adulthood"?
>>
>>4725014
those are apple snail eggs, not mystery snail eggs. What everyone calls mystery snails is usually apple snails. Apple snails are considered dangerous/invasive and I'm pretty sure they're now import/sale banned in America, at least softly.
>>
>>4725026
>>4725014
This is a mystery snail, and what hatched. I LOVE these guys. They're way cooler looking than nerites, their shit usually doesn't stick to the glass, and they're more intelligent/exploratory than nerites. They seem to do some minimal plant damage unlike nerites. Hasn't been an issue
>>
>>4725027
>>4725026
>>4725014
Woops. Should've posted this twice now. Image fagmiliar.
>>
>>4724968
people are retarded offline too. someone i know was recently talking to a friend of his about growing his own weed. mind you this guy has been growing his own weed for like 15 years now and the other guy is just starting, he asks the old hand for advice and then criticizes the advice based on shit he got from a facebook group and subreddit which any fucking retard could post and retarded shit on, any retard could become admin and push their own retarded theories, etc.

The chameleon subreddit for example is run by a fucking moron who gets asspained when people try to tell people about the long established and understood care principle that chameleons need a source of running/dripping water. Instead he allows discussion about how to trick your chameleons into drinking from a bowl. Completely ass backwards trash designed to make care more convenient for you and not better for the animal.

But anyways I've run into the same experience in aquatics
>breed neocaridina shrimp for several years, have prolific populations, have split/given away hundreds
>have bred them in tanks from ~5.7-8.0pH, nearly 0 minerals up to crushed coral substrate rockwater
>temps ranging from the mid 60s to the low 80s
>kept them alive in an unfed half gallon bowl for an entire neocaridina lifespan though they didnt really breed in there due to low food
>also had them alive under ice in a bucket of wet poopy substrate in my backyard for a few months
>someone asks for advice and then tells me how this and that thing that I have actually observed can't be true because the AI written article they read says they need neutral pH and 78 degree water
>>
File: yyb31pgnea781[1].jpg (1.51 MB, 3024x4032)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB JPG
>>4725028
Apple snails generally don't come in cool color varieties like mystery snails. They're almost always black and brown banded, and they grow much much larger, to the size of an apple I guess. Mystery snails have been bred into all kinds of color morphs, there are some super cool dark purple ones.

Please don't buy/keep apple snails. They persist in the aquarium hobby and now they've been found in north carolina. These things are vectors for rat lungworm parasite...
>>
>>4725029
nerite snail eggs also never hatch in fresh water

except those that do
>>
>>4724935
> it's all the same guy
> no way multiple people are making fun of me
> my spending habits are the best
> btw, i just thought of another useless product you should spend money on
Anon, my guppies are smarter than you.
>>
>>4725045
>seethes at RODI for no reason
>keeps the most basic ass fish
cool bro, show guppies
>>
File: sneltime.jpg (133 KB, 700x434)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>4725028
I've hatched purple shelled snails that I would have sworn were mystery snails, they had the same clutch size as above and hid it well, one morning I noticed a trail of little dots moving down the tank wall, hundreds of 'em smaller than the eye of a pin.

Anyways, I've always understood the two to be the same species - pomesii bridgeii or something like that - and that apple snails are another similar species that grows bigger and doesn't have the morphs...

Anyways, I'm confused but good luck to them - as the other anon said about now nerites never hatch until sometimes they do, maybe one or both of us have had an aberrant event.
>>
File: PXL_20240121_172634389.MP.jpg (1.01 MB, 2927x3012)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB JPG
>>4725049
>basic ass fish
At least I have fish. You don't, and will never have a fish tank.
> show guppies
I think this one's a guppy?
>>
>>4725034
um fucking excuse me????? the 6 different bot written articles that are all generated by feeding the same incorrect, or broadly but not universally correct information into them all say this is not true. You are fake news.

>>4725049
the difference between keeping the hardiest and the most fragile shit in freshwater is almost academic. aside from caridina shrimp which actually care about gh/kh (ph not so much imo, but usually to get sufficiently low gh/kh you will also need to have low ph). I know multiple people who've bred discus in both municipal tapwater and well water.

Breeding can be a different story but even there you're mostly trying to simulate a rainy season. Name the ultra sensitive fish that requires you run a RO system. RO systems can be superior for chasing params or even necessary if you have terrible mountain/plains state municipal water but the ONLY people I know who run them in freshwater around where I live do it for caridina shrimp.
>>
Got my fish delivery in just now
Shorted me 2 white clouds but got an extra sterbai so not worth complaining about.

Can't wait for the corys to finish quarantine and add them to my group, 18 corys is going to be great
>>
>>4725029
The same retardation happens a lot for rare and exotic fish. They say you're literally fish Hitler for not having a kH of exactly 5.837 at 24.5 degress, while no one really knows where that fish even comes from until science describes it as a cool water species from a limestone creek. Happens regularly with snakeheads.
>>
File: muzel tetra.png (1.78 MB, 1274x624)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
New tetra dropped bros.
>it's a Corey goes to Germany and shows off how much fucking better their fish stores are than anything in the US episode
>>
>>4725127
They kind of look like bolivian orange lemon tetras that have been selectively bred or just under a red light
Those weird shiner looking danios he showed after were really cool too
>>
>>4724194
Cool! What kind of filter do you have? Is it a sump or a HOB just out of view? Or is it just the sponge? Is the sponge good enough for a tank of that volume?
>>
>>4725127
Looks like a plain orange or ember tetra to me
>>
>>4725127
>how much fucking better their fish stores are than anything in the US episode
How so?
>>
>>4725158
NTA but the store definitely has the vibe of a small hobbyist store but with the budget of a big chain store
>>
>>4725158
Well that one is certainly nicer than anything I have available locally.
>>
>>4725158
go watch the video, it's like a small hobbyist shop but the size of a petco
>massive bins full of multiple sizes and types of aquascaping stone, driftwood, huge rows of substrate
>huge numbers/varieties of fish/shrimp including crystal shrimp for like 7 euros
I hope when Corey is finally fucking done with his expansion its even half as good as that store. And the Seattle/Bellevue area is pretty well furnished in that sense, like 80% of America's geographical area probably only has a petco/petsmart and maybe two local stores of questionable quality within a 2 hour drive.
>>
>>4725181
Oh I also forgot
>LIVE FOOD
imagine going in and paying a buck fifty for a bag of live glass worms. Live aquatic food feels like such an underserved market in the US but at the same time I doubt most fishkeepers care enough to bother with it, and the ones who do would culture their own. Or are monster fish chuds who will just yeet some nasty aquarium store goldfish/guppies into their oscar's tank.
>>
>>4725029
>he can breed neocaridina shrimp
Holy shit anon. That's, like, so awesome. You must be a real pro.
>>
File: 20240209_113951.jpg (3.31 MB, 4624x2084)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
So my local petco started to keep female bettas in the main tanks, not just the cups anymore. Theu even had a male alone in a large plant tank. I picked up this little girl.
>>
File: 1000000207.png (829 KB, 1080x784)
829 KB
829 KB PNG
It was a messy break up, wasn't it?
>>
>>4725228
Is this guy good? I’m looking for some aquarium YouTubers with high-test and a good knowledge of what they’re talking about
>>
>>4724044
What fish are these? They’re very pretty
>>
>>4725232
He's fine on plant care. Fish knowledge is whatever he looked up on internet pretty much.
>>
>>4725238
Discus
>>
>>4725228
His buddy got tired of dealing with his drunkenness and wife beating.
>>
>>4725251
I always figured Matt was the drunk
>>
>>4725238
They come in a lot of color morphs. https://www.discus.com/strains/

They're generally considered an advanced fish though, grow quite large, and are notoriously skittish.
>>
File: IMG_4107.jpg (873 KB, 2400x1350)
873 KB
873 KB JPG
>>4724044
I don’t suppose anyone here has experience with Mantis Shrimps, right?
>>
File: mantis.jpg (1.06 MB, 2400x1800)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>4725281
this terrifies and confuses the reefag.
>>
How long do you shake your nitrate test? your ammonia test? do you shake it as long as the API manual says to shake it?

Do you wait 5 minutes to read the test? Do you find it's accurate in 3 minutes? 2? 30 seconds? 10?
>>
>>4725281
most people here are betas that don’t keep anything larger than a regular shrimp unfortunately
>>
>>4725242
>>4725262
Oh I thought the filename meant to say ‘discuss’ lol
>>
>>4724981
>taking their betta out of the 1/2gallon plastic tank and washing it with dishwashing liquid

I knew bettas were hardy but wow
>>
>>4725300
Light shake for all bottoms except nitrate #2. That nitrate bottle needs a vigorous shake with some smacks on the ass for good measure. Nitrate test doesn't need the whole 60 seconds (i tested this) but violent shaking for around 30 seconds is important otherwise the results are inconsistent. If your tests are reading zero they won't change over the course of the 5 minutes. If there is a reading you should wait that period of time for an accurate color.
>>
>>4725322
>all bottoms
Bottles
>>
>>4725300
>>4725322
Does anyone know what chemistry is behind the nitrate test? Is it the phenol disulfonic acid method?
>>
>>4725326
Bottle 1 of the nitrate test contains hydrochloric acid as per the safety sheets. API doesn't explicitly say which nitrate test method their kit performs.
>>
>>4725228
Is he wearing mascara?
>>
>>4725329
I should mention, API has said why bottle 2 needs to be shaken so much. Apparently the component(s) tend to separate and solidify. If they are not adequately mixed the test will always read zero nitrate. Thus smacking the bottom of the bottle being recommended.
>>
File: meh.png (303 KB, 791x685)
303 KB
303 KB PNG
>>4725300
> use a test strip once a month or so
> always reads 0 for nitrites and nitrates
> gave up on the master test kit a long time ago
>>
oh god you guys i tried to grab a leech of the glass with tweezers and it just exploded out a dozen baby leeches...

anyways I'm going kayaking tomorrow and might try to grab some more plants.
>>
>>4725347
testing is really, imo, for immature systems. A lot of novices test obsessively those first few months but it gets boring. I will test most of my tanks about 4-5 times a year and change most of them once every month or so, some once every other month.

I had a document I used to track parameters and whenever i did a change but after basically nothing changed on any of my tanks except the 2 i knew were having issues for a year i stopped bothering.

funnily enough my beginner tank issues were related to things that were completely untestable. the test kit/strip is one of the least important things to pay attention to. but they trick people into thinking they're super important because its the only number most people have on their tank other than temperatures and volume.
>>
>>4725347
>not even testing anymore
>>
>>4725329
>>4725345
The weird thing is that it's trivially easy to find out the chemistry behind the nitrite and ammonia tests through simple google searches, but I've tried a couple of different times and cannot find out anything about the nitrate test
>>
>>4725281
>>4725290
Don’t you have to have an acrylic tank to safely keep these things? Or at least a really durable glass one
>>
File: 92nrbu3wllhc1.jpg (598 KB, 1800x4000)
598 KB
598 KB JPG
I'm really excited that this plant I grabbed from the springs is putting out new growth. I also have a second one taking up as well. Does anyone know what it is?
>>
>>4725300
about tree fitty
>>
>>4725366
Nah. the DEY CAN BREAK DA TANK is mostly fuddlore unless you're keeping a large smasher in too small of a tank. Smaller tanks have thinner glass and people aren't able to put a deep enough substrate layer in for them to make a satisfactory burrow. So they're playing minecraft in there and hit the glass bedrock and kys themselves.

It's not an issue at all with spearers but spearers are much, much less popular because its kind of sand boa tier. Like from an academic perspective you know the guy is in there but you dont see it much.
>>
File: ff_preaching.png (828 KB, 1645x807)
828 KB
828 KB PNG
>>4725355
" Nitrates and Water Hardness - Two Problems that DO NOT EXIST! "
- Father Fish
>>
>>4725356
If you're experienced, have plants, and know exactly how your tank behaves with its current stocking, you are unlikely to get surprises. In that case once a month or something is plenty. For new tanks, yes to frequent testing until you get a good stable system going. If you changed anything with an established tank like new stock or less plants or swapped between styles of filters, do followup tests at shorter intervals to see what's happening again until stable.
>>
>>4725347
>gave up on the master test kit a long time ago
Check the expiration date, lol. I whipped mine out for shits and giggles and saw that it's been so long that it expired two years ago. Some tests will work just fine expired, some not so much, but I didn't care enough to get a refresher on which is which. Pretty sure API's liquid nitrate is pretty notorious for expiry, because the reagent crystalizes and if it's sitting too long it's practically impossible to mix it well enough so you get false low readings. Regardless, I stopped testing my planted tank years ago.
>>
>>4725326
https://youtu.be/sUV-yT08hCA?si=rkOnTXfMZTwE-baQ&t=50
Here you go.
>>
>>4725300
If you don't want to worry about your nitrate test kit... just get another test kit. API is the only nitrate test kit that I can think of that has this issue. Lots of people here shit on strips but they're often not that bad, and if you really wanted accurate tests, there is definitely better stuff out there than API. For instance Salifert has a freshwater Nitrate test kit. Salifert is a pretty big staple in reef testing (other options are more popular these days but Salifert is the cheap go-to that is still quite reliable as long as you are consistent with your methodology).
>>
>>4725440
I use strips all the time on any well established tank. There is no need for anything fancier in that case.
>>
I can’t lie, seeing all those people make their own custom reefs and shit is kinda demoralizing… how do they do it…
>>
>>4725457
How do you figure?
>>
>lights off
>lights off in room as well, only computer screen is on
>have a look at the tank to see what happens in there at 2am
>corys are awake and doing their usual shenanigans
>tetras are in standby mode
>my dork apple snail sat on the air stone and got launched to the surface
I wish I had got that on film. Similar to the crab from last thread.
>>
>>4725367
Don't know but new growth on anything is a good sign.
>>
File: ugh.png (471 KB, 561x574)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
I bought another betta and another tank on impulse

I really like it. The glass is nice. discounted too.
>>
File: 20240210_200259.jpg (2.71 MB, 4000x2252)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
Found this fella scuttling along the street while I was walking my dogs.

What sort of crab is he?
What should I do with him?

He's about 15cm across, maybe 10cm front-back. Much bigger if you count the claws.
Posting from Balgownie, NSW, Australia.
I found him sitting in a puddle on a random suburb street about 3km from the beach. Maybe 500m from any of the creeks in the hills but I don't think we have any freshwater crab species of his size around here.

I'm not keen on eating random roadcrab so I figure I'll release him into some water.
Don't know where though. Do you reckon he'd survive alright in one of th3 rock pools by the beach?
>>
>Tfw traveling way inland to smash some fuckin loose cunts
>Day 3, no other blokes around for competition, where are these sheilas
>Some golliwog picks you up and drops you back at the beach
>Struth mate
>>
>>4725527
probably his natural habitat
>>
>>4725527
just feed him prawns and keep him outside should be fine mate
big plastic bin from bunnings and an air stone, bob's ya uncle
>>
>>4725435
The only ones I use are the phosphates and calcium tests. Father Fish said it's impossible for nitrates to rise to levels that are toxic to fish - I have floating plants in the freshwater tanks, and soft corals and macro algae in the reef tank.
Nitrates tests are a meme.
>>
>>4725605
he's correct when it comes to acute toxicity (which doesn't set in until thousands of ppm, your tank won't get there before some of the stuff required to get to thousands of ppm kills everything) but sort of wrong on chronic toxicity. The "nitrates don't matter" stance is much closer to reality than the myopic focus on them that most people have anyways.
It depends on species quite a bit, something like a goldfish is going to be unperturbed by almost ANY level of nitrates while something native to swift flowing streams isn't likely to have as much tolerance for chronic elevated nitrates resulting in reduced lifespan.
Also any species of fish that has been bred in captivity for dozens of generations is going to end up with a substantially higher resistance to nitrate. Particularly the 'domesticated' species like goldfish, bettas, most petstore livebearers, and zebra danios that have been bred in captivity for well over a century.

Rising nitrates are best understood as a proxy for other things that cause issues people end up attributing to nitrates like organic waste buildup in the substrate (that isn't being addressed by rooted plants or bacteria). Some of the old boomer fuddlore like "OLD WATER GOOD" is wrong but a lot of it like focus on clear water and healthy substrates (whether it's a well managed/regularly cleaned inert substrate, or a balanced biologically active one) is much wiser than a lot of the modern shit thrown around. I've even seen people claim that grey dishwater is fine because that's all beneficial bacteria floating around.
>>
>>4725130
Just the sponge is enough, it's only a 5.5 gallon tank.

All it's stocked with is a single dario and a single amano. Perhaps some neos in the future as well. I am suspect on if the Dario will not devour the babies though.
>>
One of the white clouds I got shipped looked like it wasn't going to make it yesterday, this morning I can't fucking find it.
I have a lid it's just gone. Guess my shrimp have enough food for the week...
>>
Remember when Walmart of all places sold fish? One time they had a single Zebra Loach (Botia striata) with no price or label. Thing was adorable and lived with my Yoyo Loaches although he was more skittish likely due to never getting as big and having no conspecifics. I was never able to find more striata. Eventually the neighborhood caught on fire and was closed to access so my fish just sat in an unpowered aquarium for months. Some actually survived and i ended up giving them away.
>>
>>4725791
Racism outside of /b/, anon :)
>>
File: goodmorning.png (30 KB, 739x415)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
I have purchased two honey gouramis. I understand this species is native to India and Bangladesh. For this reason their names with be Open and Bob. I don't know their sex. They are smol and it's not clear.
>>
>>4725438
Huh, thanks anon. I guess the liquid reagent is some kind of zinc suspension.
>>
>>4725869
>They are smol and it's not clear.
Well, sort of. For now, at about 1/3rd their adult size, the dorsal fin shape appears to indicate female for both Open and Bob. Pending.
>>
>>4725869
Are you keeping them on their own or are you gonna throw in some shrimp and see if they don't get murdered?
I forget exactly how to sex them but I think the males have stripes and the females have beards when they show breeding colors or could be the other way around
>>
>>4725877
They are centerpiece for my tank of corys and neons.
>>
>>4725869
good morning sers
>>
File: PXL_20240113_223624527.MP.jpg (977 KB, 4032x3024)
977 KB
977 KB JPG
hows my log
>>
>>4725923
Very good log.
>>
>>4725923
Very cool anon. Is this still called an aquarium though? Or something else?
>>
>>4725940
What else would it be called?
>>
I didn't know honey gouramis waggle their feelers at each other when they meet up. This is really funny.
>>4725953
I suppose anon is referring to some of the plants being out of water and therefore entering paludarium territory. I'd say not. Still aquarium. Paludarium is a tank with both a water feature and a land feature as you would have for some amphibians and turtles.
>>
>>4725971
Do I spy a whiptail catfish on that anubis leaf?
Pretty tank anon, you have given me some motivation to go do some tank maintenance.
>>
>>4725983
oh I'm not log anon. just commenting on the semantics of palud vs aqua vs terr ariums.
>>
>>4725953
Pretty much this >>4725971, but I realized there wasn’t anything sticking out above the water so it’s still an aquarium, just a swamp/bog build (?)
>>
I bought the oldest Betta at the Petco again. I don't know why I can't resist these dumb fish.

Gonna try to adopt him out. Tank was already being used for snails but I quite like having it on my desk here. 10 dollar nicrew micro filter and heater. Put some rotundifolia in, dunno if it will grow. Day one he tore his anal fin a little trying to fight himself super hard so I'm going to get to get some floating plants tomorrow too.

Visible ammonia burns. Feels bad man. Micro water changes every 8 hours and a little stress coat and aquarium salt. Bigger tank is cycling, newly purchased.
>>
File: IMG_0343.jpg (1.83 MB, 5712x4284)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
>>4726008
>>4725971
aquarium since there are no major features leaving the water/out of the water, just two houseplants.
>>
>>4726067
>I bought the oldest Betta at the Petco again
You are just funding Petco's perpetual shop of horrors there but I understand why you do it.
>>
>>4726080
hes from october. this location does not order more repeatedly/does not burn through them. they have a guy who cares. a lot of chain pet stores have a guy who cares, sadly, and happily i guess. betta was free.

i also bought a 6g cube aquarium to put him in, gonna be the first one i run with shrimp substrate so gotta set up for a while

however, I did decide never to buy split tails (spine mutation), koi (cancer) full red (inbred) or "samurai" (cancer) bettas from there.
>>
File: IMG20240107184200.jpg (3.33 MB, 3468x4624)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB JPG
>>4726083
uh oh, i own both a cancer and an inbred
>>
File: IMG20240113190919.jpg (3.28 MB, 3468x4624)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>4726083
>>4726085
>>
>>4726085
has diamond eye

>>4726087
cute
>>
>>4726089
what's diamond eye?
thanks though, good on you for saving that lil betta
>>
>>4726090
look how his eye looks like a black globe instead of the other betta's eye with a clear part and visible iris and pupil like a human.

the betta with diamond eye can only really discern light and dark at this point. because he has overbred scale genetics, a type of cell layer grows over the eye. this happens more in the metallic and koi varieties
>>
>>4726092
Also dragon scales
>>
File: IMG20231225172953.jpg (3.17 MB, 3468x4624)
3.17 MB
3.17 MB JPG
>>4726092
yeah i see exactly what you mean, poor thing. it also explains why he is such a sperg during feeding lmao
>>
>>4726097
You can use a tap or whistle or something to signal him and always try to feed him in the exact spot. Maybe floating-only food or a feeding cup.
>>
>>4725940
>>4725953
>>4725971
>>4726008
>>4726077
The term you are looking for is a riparium
>>
>>4726238
There are too many ariums.
>>
>>4726299
aryan arium
Aryum
>>
File: Screenshot_4.png (1.14 MB, 888x673)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
this is what it mean to have a catfish
>>
File: PXL_20240206_233644235.MP.jpg (752 KB, 4080x3072)
752 KB
752 KB JPG
>>
File: 61-WNRkLZ1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg (74 KB, 1015x1285)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>
File: 20240211_131347.jpg (2.14 MB, 4000x1800)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
I added some floaters I plucked from the wild.

My tank is fullnof leeches!
>>
>>4726382
flukes*
>>
>>4726382
Float
>>
>>4726384
Both!
>>
>>4726389
did you know those can go inside you really easy
>>
File: 61wA2sJdhTS._AC_SL1500_.jpg (143 KB, 1500x1500)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>4726381
me with the cape
>>
>>4726384
>>4726389
But seriously I have no fish in the tank or I would not be doing this

I'm battling the leeches and hoping anything else will die out due to lack of host. I might try to nuke the water with something too but I don't want to holocaust my snails, which I'm letting run buck wild for now.

Yea not really sure where this going to go but I'm very happy with muh plants and snails atm.
>>
>>4726392
Whatever bro I go in natural bodies of water all the time. Maybe I'm full of worms.
>>
File: PXL_20240206_233553054.MP.jpg (1.27 MB, 4080x3072)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB JPG
a humble shrimp tending to his crops
>>
Hmm. Okay slight change to feeding technique in view of new honey gouramis.
tetras: GIMME GIMME GIMME NOW
corys: MINE MINE MINE MINE
gouramis: what's all the commotion? I heard there was food? where is food? I think there might be food? are you sure there is food?
So I stuck some bits of flakes up under the frogbit leaves as they are partial to that area of the tank and appear to like picking at things around the surface. The tetras are not interested unless things are floating in the open water column and the corys only investigate surface stuff on rare occasion.
>>4726393
You better not put that thing in a tank with impressionable fry! :O
>>
>>4726399
Where? These pixel phones capture too much detail, we need a more zoomed in version of the shrimp.
>>
>>4726402
I also have a honey gourami and tetras - I usually put bigger pellets or some worms, stuff that's too big for tetras.
I don't really see him eating, but I see him shitting all the time, and he hasn't died of starvation in the months I've had him, so he must be eating something.
>>
>>4726067
>glass covered in stains
Holy shit anon quit cumming on your fish tank.
>>
File: DSC_4300.jpg (1.72 MB, 2180x1453)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>4724044
Started my first tank I've had in probably 30 years. Wanted it pretty natural, sourced all of the soil and rocks/shells by scooping a tupperware load from the bed of the river next to my house. Got 10+ snails to help clean up as a bonus. Threw a few plants in there as well. Two blue dwarf Gourami, and 4 black Mollys. Tank is a little small for them, I'll upgrade soonish. The tank was free, so why not. What think?
>>
>>4726402
Oh! Uh, scratch all this. Open and Bob were just spooked from the move from pet store to home tank, apparently. At hour 48 here they are now flake monsters. No issue whatsoever competing with the zippy tetras for food. It seems they have chosen to slowly take their rightful place as boss fish of the group.
>>
>>4726592
What are those long grass-like things? Are they alive? I like the look of them.
>>
>>4726632
Looks like hairgrass
>>
>>4726632
I think its called Giant Hairgrass. Not 100% sure though. Got it at Petco, and yes, its all live plants.
>>
File: IMG_20230130_143041.jpg (3.28 MB, 4208x1892)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
Weirdest shit today.
Came home from work and my saltwater tank that's cycling has had another bloom, the small one I've had going for 8 months that didn't bloom during cycling and my 15gal freshwater tank that's just over 12 months old is also having a bloom. Main 40gal and extra 10gal haven't though. Yet.

No schedule changes, haven't done water changes recently (>2 weeks) and temp is as stable as it ever is in my room at 25°C.
>>
>>4726688
put or throw food away dont leave out
>>
File: 170682268668072666.jpg (1.9 MB, 3600x2700)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB JPG
I posted a while back about my shrimp ecosystem tank being left alone for 6 weeks.

I built an auto feeder using a jar glued to an outlet timer to drop a tiny amount of food once a day just in case. Everything survived, moss was a bit overgrown and detached a bit under the filter outlet but all Darwin Algae eater shrimp survived and I've noticed heaps of new baby Chameleon shrimp. Still haven't done a water change or anything other than trim some of the taller plants and scrape a bit of algae from the front class for visibility.
>>
>>4726703
I like the tree. rock looks healthy. massive. stony. green topped.
>>
File: 170718444360274280.jpg (1.52 MB, 3600x2700)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
>>4726703
Lighting sucks in this room unfortunately lots of glare.
Power went out for a week as well apparently. Also, here's a freshly mounted shiny Darwin Algae Eater
>>
>>4726706
beautiful shromp. do you have to adjust water a lot for them?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>4726706
>>
Fittonia emersed? This plant acts like a straw. At first, it bent backwards over the desk and sprinkled water through its top. Skeetonnia plant?

Having fun with the little 2.5. wish I had de rimmed it though.

Guy on Facebook is selling an "S" marked 2.5 rimless for 20. Looks nice. Hmmm. Already keep spending so much...
>>
File: jewelcichlid3.jpg (340 KB, 1536x2048)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
Started an aquarium about 2 weeks ago and looking for some advice or maybe some insight.
specs are 71 litres, double shrimp pumps for low circulation.
i have 7 jewel cichlids in it, 3 siamese algae eaters and one of those big shrimps with the long claws.
i got them rather spontaneously due to the shop i worked it going under so i had todo a fish in cycle which is completely foreign to me, the amonnia levels were never above 0 however nitrites were super fucked first 2 weeks and still are super high, starting to see some algae growth however which indicates to me their finally being converted into nitrates.
havent had any deaths but i worry for my plants or if i have done any issues.

anyone here with fish in cycling experience?
>>
File: jewelcichlid2.jpg (304 KB, 1536x2048)
304 KB
304 KB JPG
>>4726764
i feel my cryptocoryne and anubias is looking less than optimal, anyone got some tips there as well? certainly the lack of nitrates arent helping a lot.....
>>
File: jewelcichlid1.jpg (349 KB, 1536x2048)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
>>4726766
>>4726764
oh and i dose with iron and have a co2 system running with about 1 bubble a minute (tropica)
>>
>>4726766
crypts always melt when being moved or replanted
>>
>>4726770
havent had that issue before but i mighta just been lucky, do they bounce back?
>>
>>4726777
just avoid moving it yeah
>>
>>4726779
good to know cheers
>>
>>4726764
>>4726766
Plants can usually consume ammonia as well, so if youre worried about that, get some floating plants that destroy ammonia before it even has a chance to turn into nitrite.
As for the crypt, that's normal. They melt, then after a while they have a resurrection. Those things are bulletproof.
>>
File: aquarium.jpg (206 KB, 1992x920)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
Do I need a bubbler if i had a pump pumping upwards? Im planning on 1 betta and 1 corydora in this 54l tank with snails and red cherry shrimps
plants arrive tomorrow
>>
File: 1000000237.jpg (1.76 MB, 4032x2268)
1.76 MB
1.76 MB JPG
>>4726764
Stems and floating plants are your friend.
Sorry to hear about your job, anon.
>>
>>4726764
Plants are the way to go, but you're going to have a hell of a time keeping all those fish healthy. The cichlids in particular get to 12" and the biggest pair will almost certainly kill the rest before that. Tbh I'd return them (or all but 2) and get fish more appropriate for 71L, but a ton of stems and floaters will be your best path with this stock. Just fucking slam the tank with them.

Get more filtration, too. For those adult fish, you probably want an external canister, but a pair of air powered moving bed filters to go with the sponges would probably be enough.
>>
>>4726848
>Do I need a bubbler if i had a pump pumping upwards?
You should already be good, since they both would serve the same purpose (breaking up the surface)
>>
File: 5gal.png (99 KB, 665x488)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
>>4724044
What's the coolest thing I can do with a 5 gallon tank?
A few Tetras with an Emerald Cory?

10 inch Height
16 inch Length
8 inch Width

I used to have a 70 gallon freshwater (planted / community) and I'm starting to miss it, just not all the responsibility that goes with a larger tank
I considered an Axolotl but most owners say you need a 20 gal. long for those
>>
>>4726907
Corys do best in groups, and show better behavior. Emerald corys are one of the biggest ones, probably wouldn't thrive in 5g.

Best thing imo for a 5g would be 8 habrosus corys and a dozen small rasboras - espei, chili, kubotai, axelrod, etc. Heavy planting and a sponge filter would be able to manage the bioload, and they'd both show reasonably natural behavior and be comfortable. As many snails of mystery size or smaller and any shrimp you want would be fine, too.

You could add a couple Jara herdoni as well if you don't mind having essentially pet leaf litter.
>>
>>4725692
Remember when Albertson's sold Axolotls back in 2004?
Still trips me out
They stopped selling aquatic life and eventually sold that store to Lucky

More of a Nob Hill / Safeway guy myself, but they've never done aquatics
>>
>>4726916
Thanks for the input, fren
Writing it down now
>>
>>4726848
just realized a single cory would be a bad idea, may go with a single betta male
>>
Auspicious resin bucephalandra bridge enhancement project underway
>>
>>4726907
Betta splendens
>>
Morning feed for the tank. This session is cory primary feeding with a light sprinkle of veggie flakes. Honey gourami's sample the veggie flakes and spit them out. Noted. Honey gourami now at the bottom with the corys nibbling on the sinking catfish wafers. I thought they would be too shy for digging at the trough with the corys but apparently not.
>>
>>4724044
Hai, does anyone here know if da driftwood at PetShart is pre-soaked?
>>
>>4727050
Probably boiled but not soaked. All that wood comes from the same couple suppliers whether it's a big box or a local mom n' pop.
>>
>>4727054
ty, will it stay submerged if i put it in right away or nah? not concerned with tanins
>>
>>4727081
In my experience maybe maybe not. You need to strap a rock to it.
>>
File: 170728228936950747.jpg (1.71 MB, 3600x2700)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>4726709
Thanks, and no, basically don't do anything to the tank at all water wise other than a top up for evaporation. Ill do a water test every couple months just to see but levels are all good.

Shame these gals won't breed in fresh water, but the chameleon shrimp are doing so beautifully. They're just smaller and harder to get a pic of.
>>
>>
>>4725127
Those are matto grosso tetras. My lfs got in a couple. They were 17 bucks a piece so I didn't bother
>>
What is a good 20 gallon tank? And what are some good plants and tank mates for a school of tetras? I had an aquarium when I was a kid but it was just some goldfish and fake plants.
>>
>>4727111
>>
>>4727171
Let's see if a change of environment helps out this guy's neurotic behavior.
>>
anyone experiment with marine/reef led lights on a freshwater tank? whasts it look like and how do plants like it?
>>
>>4727172
I dont think i like how lil it is

oh noooooooooo ill have to buy another fish tank nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
>>
>>4727164
Like brand of tank? For this i recommend going to store. Compare glass thickness and quality of the silicone joints. Run you hand up to the joint on each side. Is the corner flush or is one piece inset a bit from the other? Does the silicone appear to be cleanly applied or is it all sloppy and shit? I have seen some real hack job silicone application on big and ostensibly reputable brands.
>>
>>4727172
why is the substrate so deep when it's just gravel and the plant choices doesn't need be planted either?
i think it could use more water space esp when it's already that small
>>
>>4727410
visual balance

this betta has been confused or stressed out by something in his tank so i intentionally made his environment smaller to try to focus on his little cave. i'm not really worried about it. we'll see how he does, i already think i'll replace it with a bigger tank again. just wanted to set this one up
>>
>>4726841
ah good to know, id prolly get some duckweed or some shit.
>>4726854
appreciate the advice, yea its a shame about the place, one of the biggest and last proper petshops in denmark, couldnt keep up with online shopping though and well people dont buy pets as much anymore so it is what it is. We arent alone, most are going under now a days at least in denmark.
>>4726867
aint no returning from here baby, but no i will be selling some off as i get a better idea of who is pairing up haha i am not insane plus i dont like the look of overstocked tanks, not big on the flanders philosophy of keeping.
>>
>>4725228
man I don't care about your life. just tell me about fishies
>>
i cant take a dude wearing beard filler seriouisly
>>
>>4727172
>>4727415
hmm, i think im gonna reduce the substrate in front and stack way more of the slate, to create a cliff effect

man i really hated having one of these tanks with the sump in the back when i got back into the hobby previously, but since this one is actually big enough to fit your hand in each of the 3 compartments, it's wonderful. got the heater back there and it provides a really clean visual look. I will probably move this betta again relatively soon and use this tank with shrimp ballz substrate which i haven't tried yet.
>>
>>4727436
Yeah that's a pretty common technique to create a sense of depth in a scape, usually it would look better on a wide tank with some medium to large rock hardscape ala iwagumi but i've seen it work on smaller tanks too
>>
i yoinked my snails out of the tank last night and put in some type of parasite treatment

no doubt there is a leech and fluke holocaust in my tank right now. I am going to treat it again in 3 days. Then next week I finally start thinking about getting fish... going to be looking for suggestions on that. pic related is the setup >>4726382
>>
File: whenwoof.jpg (1.32 MB, 5712x4284)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
when too much wood is or isnt?
>>
>>4727572
I like it except the wood on the left with the little branches going towards instead of down
>>
>>4727192
The anons over in the saltwater general might have. Those marine lights are expensive, and you wouldn't have them unless you really needed them for a marine tank, so i doubt many/any anons here would have tried.
>>
File: mortarandpestle.png (1.91 MB, 1466x1244)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
I bought a small mortar and pestle to crush large pellets in to smaller ones. Fish keeping is making me buy weird and unanticipated things.
>>
>>4725338
Probably. He legit wears makeup
>>
>>4727725
Based
>>
>>4727164
>good 20 gallon tank
get a 20 gallon long from craigslist/facebook marketplace. doesn't matter that it's used, as long as it holds water.
> some good plants
in my 20gal with tetras i have one amazon sword, some anubias, and some carpeting plants. and the scape is made from dragon stone (sorry, log guy, no wood in this one).
> tank mates
anything that's small and peaceful. get some shrimp that go well in color, and get a centerpiece fish like a honey gourami. tetras tend to school around the middle of the tank, so if the shrimp are doing their thing on the bottom and the gourami is zipping around at the top it'll be a nice, balanced tank.
>>
>>4727725
Just put the pellets in the foods container lid and use the lid off another thing to crush them. That's what I do.
>>
File: honkhonk.png (306 KB, 617x557)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>4727678
>The anons over in the saltwater general
lmfao, thanks for reminding me to go check up on the shitshow, i haven't been there in two weeks!
> still fighting about dinos
> king dumbass has been banned
> some George Costanza wannabe is sniffing his own farts about the 90s
our general can't stop winning, bros
>>
>>4727799
No i needed a fancy marble mortar and pestle because i am an upper crust individual.
>>
My Black Moscow guppies are arriving tomorrow for Valentine's Day. Faith in them not being DOA like my sex life is not high.
>>
>>4727834
Are those super fragile or something
>>
>>4727808
Based money haver
>>
>>4727102
That sounds like a pain in the ass trying to find those but they look cool.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>join like 5 local facebook freshwater groups
>people in comment chains praising Father Fish nonstop
>"yes father fish method all the way!!"
>click their profile
>brown nitrite sewer water death tank
>>
>>4728017
>brown nitrite sewer water death tank
That was my concern about the father's ideas. If you're not careful you can easily interpret what he says as yeah just be wildly negligent about everything and nature will sort it out. There are a number of specific parts of the dirted tank approach that have to be followed otherwise you've just created a hell swamp. Which as I understand it is what people have wound up doing.
>>
>>4727808
Why marble? It's inferior.
>>
>>4728029
inferior to what?
>>
>>4728031
Ceramic, IMO.
Use them with fair regularity at work, our only choice in most cases as they are non-reactive and don't get shit stuck in the poorly 'machined' mortars typically seen with granite/marble thus loosing less stuff.
>>
>>4728033
oh okay i don't care. the marble is pretty and will resize my fish pellets adequately.
>>
>>4728039
Enjoy being a lower-crust individual.
>>
>>4728040
You wound me deeply
>>
File: DAw548uWsAEt6M0.jpg (70 KB, 800x529)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>4728041
I would very apologies, but I cannot see your pain.
>>
>>4728046
Jesus christ what is wrong with those fish?
>>
File: BzEWVFRIQAALM-2.jpg (21 KB, 467x500)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>4728047
The same thing that befalls small percentages of the pet trade. Us.
>>
>>4728050
These things are absolutely Lovecraftian. They look like they've seen beyond the veil and are in constant existential agony they can't express.
>>
File: IMG20231204223342.jpg (2.65 MB, 4624x3468)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB JPG
Can I keep corydoras pygmaeus and hastatus together? They won't interbreed or anything? I have a healthy school of pygmys, but those tail spotted corys have caught my eye.
I can't decide if I want 2 cory tanks, or to add them both to a larger tank. Corys are cool.
>>
File: dont_care.jpg (10 KB, 281x179)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>4728017
> things that never happened
>>
>>4728024
Nature will eventually sort it out, to be fair. It just will do so by killing the fish.

Overstocking without maintenance is definitely a short-term problem.
>>
life is unfair. I wish could afford a house so could make space for pond animal like koi.
>>
>>4728216
If you have enough space you could have an indoor pond for some pretty goldfish. Not the inbred kind.
>>
>>4728217
This, you can get into comet goldfish they're literally the same as koi but smaller ie fancy carps
>>
>>4728216
How much space do these even need
>>
>>4728177
I think they can possibly interbreed yeah.
Corys have a really huge family tree seperated into lineages that can mix and I'm pretty sure those two share one.
>>
Does anyone know how I might go about blocking off the outlet on my Aquaclear 50 filter? I put a panda gara in my tank recently and just watched him go from playing in the flow to swimming straight into the media basket. I can block it so he can't jump out from the filter onto my lid, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to keep him out of the filter in the first place.
>>
>>4728239
This is the first result I found, guys with 3d printers and etsy stores really are the future

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1513024565/aquaclear-50-power-filter-lid-and-baffle?sts=1
>>
>>4728243
I was hoping to not reduce the flow with something like a baffle, but that seems like a decent idea.
>>
>>4728232
Koi? A lot - smaller ones can get to a few lbs and be over a foot, Japanese koi can be 3ft and 35lbs. The smaller you could probably get away with a few hundred gallons and a canister/big boy filter if you have a couple of them, larger needs a real pond.
>>
>>4728253
A better system for you then would be just vertical slots. Maybe you can modify that thing to remove the swiss cheese baffle and keep the supports in back (assuming they are narrow enough to keep your fish out).
>>
>>4727192
>>4727678
I have (I had a spare XR15 as I upgraded to a new tank and bought different lighting setup). I wish I took more pictures of that time. One thing to note is that modern LED reef lights are adjustable by color band, so that you could tone down the blues. This is limited by the LED mix as generally there's going to be somewhere vaguely around three times the amount of lower spectrum (blue, royal blue, violet, ultraviolet, etc) LEDs vs. green + red. The mix of these will change most notably between the bluer products vs the whiter products (E.G. Radion XR15 Blue vs Radion XR15 Pro, the latter which I had). My German Blue Rams' and Neon Tetras' blue really popped, as expected, and overall the tank looked better, even though I drastically reduced the blue output. That experiment actually convinced me to invest in better freshwater lights in general, as everything looked immediately better, not just "better with growth." Shitty LEDs just make the tank look more dull. This really shouldn't have been a surprise to me. I imagine it is the same phenomenon as buying lights for wall paintings: CRI is king and makes a surprising difference.

Growth-wise it doesn't make a difference, and this is with a CO2-injected system. You can grow stuff just as fast with generic ass lights, assuming they are powerful enough. It just won't look quite as good.
>>
>>4724044
Any strategies for getting rid of blue-green algae?
>>
>>4728303
I've heard it can be a bitch even for experienced fish keepers.
Fritz makes slime out, not sure what other treatments work other than gravel vaccing as much as you can and not having food waste.
>>
File: ramshorn aquarium.jpg (367 KB, 2000x1500)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
how do i produce as much ramshorn as possible from this?
>>
>>4728314
Feed flakes and algae wafers. They will run the copy machine full blast.
>>
>>4728314
Throw in a bunch of food and run the light 14+ hours/day - they don't give a fuck about nitrogen and will quickly reproduce to fit their available food. Fish food, leaf litter, algae, etc, just make sure there's always something in the tank that the snails are actively eating.
>>
>>4728303
Freshwater or saltwater?
Freshwater: if your tank is not mature, it's normal. Just remove it each time, manually. Also depends on your cleanup crew, make sure you have shrimp and snails to deal with the uneaten food in case you want to increase your nutrients.
Saltwater: blue-legged hermit crabs. They will eat it up without you having to move a finger.
>>
>>4728318
>>4728355
ordered 1kg of algae wafers, light set on 16h
anything else?
>>
>>4728409
add human ejaculate

its good for their shells
>>
>>4728314
Are you quail anon? Godspeed and keep us (me) updated on how this goes.
>>
Holy crap I think the one rhizome stub of buce i left in my tank might actually still be alive. I removed most of it because my apple snails had eaten all leaves and it looked shot. After selling back 3 of the 4 apple snails (plus seven babies) to pet store I believe I have the correct balance of 1 plant eating apple snail to an entire 20 gallon of plants. I see leaf nibbles here and there but no plants are being massacred like they were with the full gang of four and their progeny.
>>
>>4728462
Yeah that shit's secretly unkillable. I've had various bits end up lodged wherever and a month or two later the tiny chunk of rhizome puts out leaves like nothing happened.
>>
Bug bites sure sink fast when placed under the surface. I wasn't expecting that. The corys were interested in them immediately. Other species showed more cautious speculative interest as they've never had these before. Next time i will just sprinkle on surface and let them sink eventually on their own.
>>
God damnit. I just washed half my filter media in chlorinated water. I know this has a negligible effect but still. I like to treat my cleaning water so as to preserve all bacterias. Wash bucket now has a piece of tape spanning the top of it that say DECHLORINATE as it's also my top up bucket. I don't want to go do a top up, not forget to dechlorinate, and dump several liters in and not realize what i just did.
>>
>>4728448
can they eat egg shells?
>>
>>4728017
Why are you posting an image of that old guy from the Barbie movie?
>>
>>4728503
its like anubias nana petite, accidentally break a piece off then lose track of it while doing maintenance, a year later you see another anubias nana petite somewhere you swear you didn't put one and cant figure out how it got there.
>>
>>4728017
this is why our one true savior and future chief rabbi of the third temple Corey McElroystein opposes 'natural' tanks.

buy the gravel you filthy gentile.
>>
My Black Moscow guppies got delayed, its a snowstorm here so I thought surely they're goners, get the box, open it up, all three alive, all three the wrong color. SCAMMED BY THE YELLOW MAN AGAIN.
>>
>>4728825
online order-er cucked again
>>
File: leech.jpg (60 KB, 738x1600)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
i caught 2 leeches and 1 planaria escaped me, how to make a trap for them to catch more?
>>
>>4728949
But what are you gonna do with the ones you caught? Sign them up for government work?
>>
>>4728949
they sell planaria traps on amazon etc
>>
Someone make a new general
>>
File: 1604183835349.jpg (152 KB, 768x1024)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>4729087
I have to wait 300 seconds hold on
>>
>>4729087
Okay here. The edition and previous is in the middle of the pasta because i'm incompetent. Sorry.

>>4729093
>>4729093
>>4729093

>>4729093

>>4729093
>>
>>4729094
no worry
>>
>>4729085
i didnt see any more last evening and this morning, seems like overkill, maybe i could making diy one

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.