[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Dark theme dog general; night fetch edition.
>>
>>4725562
That's difficult to say, closed breeding books means genetic health defects are hard to breed out of dogs like the Doberman, the vast majority of which have heart defects. Dogs like the malinois are so healthy because the breeding clubs allow cross breeding with outside breeds as long as the resulting puppies still have the characteristics of the malinois. Also why "huskies" are so healthy, many are actually crossed with other dogs, but still appear and act like a husky so that's what they're called.
>>
File: 20240207_173219.jpg (1.47 MB, 1676x3720)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>who's here?
>>
>>
>>4725611
the only good living thing that came out of that country
>>
>>4725622
Even then, the polkadot gene is unhealthy.
>>
Rolling down the road in a truck RV, on a busy highway.
>>
>>4725626
Is it really?
>>
File: 707DD4A1-.jpg (295 KB, 1125x844)
295 KB
295 KB JPG
>>4725634
No more than most other purebred dogs, the issues have been well publicized. Recessive genes leading to deafness and kidney stones are the main ones.
>Ruca at 15 years old
>>
File: IMG_3211.jpg (315 KB, 828x1283)
315 KB
315 KB JPG
>>4725644
>less flattering pic of her in the cold
>>
File: image000001.jpg (106 KB, 780x585)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>4725645
>another recent shot, can see the cataract in her right eye
>>
File: 20231018_153028.jpg (1.44 MB, 3572x1609)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>4725648
Because of her age she has her issues, but compared to other dogs at 15 she's doing pretty good.
>>
Shop, don’t adopt

Shiloh shepherd > shelter german shepherd roachdog
>>
File: 20231231_170013.jpg (2.08 MB, 4032x1816)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
>>4725652
>>
File: 20240202_172829.webm (2.65 MB, 720x1280)
2.65 MB
2.65 MB WEBM
Please enjoy this lip smacking new webm.

Recently two of the dogs got into a fight, and one was completely covered in mud from afterwards. Hilarious.

>>4725645
You could say she's become a little.... husky! Nah, she looks really good for her age.
>>
File: IMAG0026.jpg (286 KB, 845x1414)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
>>4725662
She's always been a big girl, but since arthritis she doesn't get to run and keep the fat off. Don't care, she's earned the rest.
>young pic absolute unit
>>
>>4725611
I'm here
>>4725652
Most dogs will be lucky to hit 15, good to see she doesn't have anything severe bringing her down
>>4725662
Big dogs to get into scraps with each other, good they're both in one piece.
>>
File: IMG_3245.jpg (682 KB, 1163x1551)
682 KB
682 KB JPG
>>4725677
That pile of mulch reminds me, I'm putting in another flower bed this spring and I've got get off my ass and get it tilled up.
>>
>>4725499
You can apologize for the deaths of shelter dogs that your words and actions have directly caused, then I'll bother reading your drivel.
If your "advice" amounts to steering people away from shelter dogs which you have ZERO experience with and speak about as if you're some kind of authority, then it's shit. And you're shit for crybullying every time someone calls you out on this fact.
>>
File: 20240202_172922.jpg (1.8 MB, 1800x2892)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
>>4725677
They fight somewhat frequently and usually it is the smaller female that fights the male dog. I've been around to see some of the real foghts and it's pretty intense. Bloodied ears or lips.

>>4725691
Flowers are based and beautiful. Love me some sunflowers, and Leo loves to chew the sticks up after they have dried.
>>
>>4725698
>You can apologize for the deaths of shelter dogs that your words and actions have directly caused, then I'll bother reading your drivel.
Oh no! Dead shelter dogs! I DO NOT GIVE ONE SINGLE FUCK.

A shelter put down pibbles the child maulder and wilhelm von bitey the german shepherd? GOOD. FUCK THEM. There are multiple people in my family who were bit by dogs and almost every single fucking time it was some pitbull-bulldog, rottweiler, mastiff, or german shepherd. The only time it wasn't, it was a lab with an owner the girls parents knew constantly abused it (yanking a prong collar, hitting it for getting on furniture). But they thought it was ok because le alpha, le descipline. If I ran a shelter I would be killing the shitty and ruined dogs myself.

99% of the large breed shelter dogs dying in shelters are either ones bred for dogfighting, guarding, or war, and the rest are only staying in the shelter because they were abused (or as lower class, predominantly republican male dog owners call it, disciplined by the pack alpha) or totally unsocialized and ended up biting another dog or a person. Basically every dog that does not meet either criteria is adopted within 3 days. The ones that die are beyond saving.
The rest being put down are excessive numbers of small dogs from amish puppy mills, not "breeders", but specifically poorfags kennels. Do you think adopting a shelter shitbull will shut those puppy mills down? Do you think buying from an unrelated breeder will fund the amish?

Go guilt tripping people when shelters start enacting euthanize on entry policies for any dog with a dangerous phenotype. Guard dogs, fighting dogs, and war dogs are inherently dangerous animals (all together such breeds, which make up less than 15% of dogs, kill 4-5 times more people than all other dogs combined) and should not be treated like they can be saved. Unsocialized and untrained dogs are beyond saving and will never be 100% safe either, regardless of breed.
>>
>>4725747
Based, but not worth your time engaging with him. His reading comprehension is so bad that he will just make up overly emotional arguments based on his feelings rather than what you actually said. Watch.
>>
I just found out that Shadow reacts to dogs on screens(without any sound). He's wagging his tail, barking, and the hair on his back stands up as if he thinks they're real. I don't think that's a good sign for his intelligence/vision, but it is quite amusing.
>>
>>4725839
Must be confusing to see such tiny dogs... Atleast he is kinda cute.
>>
carrot...where art thou
>>
>>4725852
Im pretty sure he thinks it's a window lol
>kinda cute
>kinda
kys yourself immediately faggot
>>
File: 20240210_150137NA.webm (3.66 MB, 1080x1920)
3.66 MB
3.66 MB WEBM
Dog ponders things of importance in water, ball in mouth, close-up.

>>4725908
How quintuple dog dare you, sir? My dogson would be fatherless without me! An orphan at less than 2 years of age!
>>
>>4725839
Eh, people react to things in horror movies as if they're real.
>>
>>4725919
Then take back what you said, before I return the favor
>>4725922
Yeah but it's unusual(from what i know) for a dog to react to just images on a screen.
>>
>>4725941
Okay, fine he isn't kinda cute. He's pretty cute. :D
>>
>>4725919
Your dog is not your child
>>
>>4725941
Every dog I have had, or met, has reacted to images on a screen. Cats too.
>>
File: Z72_0212.jpg (877 KB, 1500x2250)
877 KB
877 KB JPG
>Set up tripod, softbox, camera, backdrop, table, etc to take photos of something to sell on ebay
>because I dare set the camera to f11 even with exposure preview turned off it closes the lens down to f5.6 instead of just focusing at f1.8
>can not see shit, too much noise, fucking why nikon
>take all the photos anyways hoping autofocus works
>looks ok on camera
>put everything away and go get a burger and walk the husky
>later
>take cf card out and take a look at the photos
>load up capture one
>HEATHER HAIR STUCK TO EVERYTHING AFTER THE THIRD SHOT
>Didn't notice in the EVF because it was too fucking noisy
I HATE MIRRORLESS CAMERAS I HATE MIRRORLESS CAMERAS I HATE MIRRORLESS CAMERAS I HATE MIRRORLESS CAMERAS
FUCKING WHY
THIS IS A FIRMWARE ISSUE
JUST DONT STOP THE LENS DOWN WHEN EXPOSURE PREVIEW IS TURNED OFF HOW HARD IS IT FUCKING KNEE-CON
DONT SHOW ME A PREVIEW = DONT SHOW ME A PREVIEW OF ANYTHING

heather is innocent tho. look how cute she is.
>>
>>4725979
Sounds like someone needs to take the jump over to large format film photography. You can always wipe the dog hair off the negatives before printing them. You can still use that relatively low resolution mirrorless camera for scanning your negatives. :D

I have gotten dog hair on my 4x5 film a couple times, but it is a rare occurance.
>>
>>4725979
Buy a canon 1d
>>
>>4726005
Nah, he needs a linhof master super technika 3000. The greatest dog photographing camera ever created.
>>
>>4725977
Oh. None of the dogs I've had would ever focus on a screen long enough to watch it
>>
>>4725839
Nice, my girl did that as a puppy, until she realized it wasn't another dog.
>>
Is it ok if my dog whines a bit when people leave the house? He's never been destructive, he just sits at the window and watches
>>
>>4726515
why wouldnt it be okay?
its only cause for concern if its a major shift in behaviour or a totally new trait in an elderly dog cause that could mean illness
>>
>>4726516
Well people always talk about separation anxiety so I was worried it was a problem
>>
>>4726517
If all he does is whine then that's extremely mild inconsequential separation anxiety. Usually it's ripping furniture or shitting every where.
>>
Should I talk to my dog over the phone, is it good or bad for the dog?
>>
is feeding boogers to your dog illegal?

even if he likes it?
>>
>>4726560
No.

Does anyone have really old books on the art of dog breeding? Like before the AKC existed and introduced stagnate ideas old.
>>
>>>/mu/120466888
>>
>>4725839
my dog watches videos of himself and other dogs he knows intently. he doesnt react to strange dogs on tv. unless its herding dogs stalking. then he gets real close to the tv and studies that shit.
>>
File: 20240211_134743s.webm (3.02 MB, 1920x1080)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB WEBM
Anyone know if chris christensen is a good/safe brand? Look how shiny he is after using their spray on detangler! He is also extremely soft now.

I am going to wash him with the detangler shampoo/conditioner combo soon to see how nice it makes his coat look soon.
>>
File: 1707689116444059.jpg (71 KB, 924x498)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Pour one out for a real homie
>>
A picture of a Mountie about to start the first qimmiijaqtauniq against the Kupfer Eskimo dogs.
>>
>>4726721
Damn bro looks extra floofy, I'll have to try that
>>
>>4726830
Nice back.
>>
File: 20240211_173930.jpg (1.84 MB, 2592x1800)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>4726830
Apparently a lot of people use the brand when competing in dog shows.
There's a black on black shampoo/conditioner that will make black girl even more black if wanted, hah. I got the detangler because mine has been getting a little tangled up from being in the water everyday. Worked great!

I'm looking forward to trying the shampoo, conditioner, and after spray to see just how nice it makes his coat.
>>
File: 20240212_002801.jpg (529 KB, 3024x4032)
529 KB
529 KB JPG
Bastard waiting for me to finish my workout for his walk (he's very bored)
>>
We burning today
>>4727009
So stoic
>>4726987
I should have washed her this weekend when it was warm outside, but my plans got ruined by a little accident.
>>4726838
Ty
>>
File: 1703815012226922.jpg (24 KB, 540x495)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
Bros I need advice, about 4-5 years ago my parents got divorced and I offered to take their dog since neither could keep her and she has been an absolute nightmare ever since, I live in an apartment and I walk her 5+ times a day around the grounds and yet she still shits in the house almost daily it's very rare for her to go more than 2-3 days in a row without shitting in the house no matter what, at this point she's also getting old and having trouble getting around and she shreds the trash if I leave it out for more than 5 minutes so it has to stay in my closet, she constantly tries to get in to fights with my cat, and a mountain of other issues, my mother is in favor of just having her put down or permanently moving her to the balcony (my father is very against it but also won't take her himself of course), I'm not sure if I should though she's not sickly or anything, would giving her to a shelter be a better idea? She's probably 11-12 years old at this point I don't know if anyone would adopt her that late but I literally have to scrub my carpets daily I'm pretty sure they're ruined at this point
>>
>>4727082
What breed? You may need to make due with trying to train her on pee pads.
>>
>>4727082
Why didn't you ask or make an effort to train the dog 4-5 years ago
Why is it such an issue that now after cleaning up shit for 5 years you want to make a change
>>
File: 20240212_140438.jpg (1.65 MB, 1800x1837)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
You ever put a blue bandana on your dog and start calling them Thunder or another one of those kind of names?
>>
>>4727095
Highest quality photo yet. Was this your linhof technologika? Everything is in perfect focus, its eye bleeding sharp, and the colors are lifelike and vibrant.
>>
What a suprise! Another ankle biting troll with shit taste!
>>
>>4727082
I don't have a good answer for you, people say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" for a reason, you can try a professional dog trainer.
>>4727095
I've considered a pink one because most people assume she's a boy.
>>
>>4727082
Do you smack her when she acts up?
>>
File: 2024-02-12 15.02.10.jpg (3.07 MB, 2000x2000)
3.07 MB
3.07 MB JPG
its so weird, she's cleaner after spending 2 hours in a mud hole forest than she is after 20 minutes walking on pavement, even if we get rained on

good thing at least half her walks are in mud hole forest
>>
>/dog/: all the pictures taken outside
>/kot/: all the pictures taken in bedrooms and basements
Really makes you think
>>
>>4727243
No, not really. Those are the expected areas of interaction with the animal.
>>
>>4727243
My based dog has made me happier and healthier. My based cat has only made me happier. I would like to get a harness for her so we can all go on walks as a happy family. Whether or not a cat will tolerate a harness+leash is entirely unknown before attempting it.
>>
>>4726517
what breed is he
if its something like a Weimaraner then its pretty much unavoidable especially while younger and less chill (under 8 years old) and as >>4726553
said it's not a problem unless it's a problem for you, like destructive behaviour
>>
Can someone help me with my pros/cons of getting a Samoyed.

Currently have
Pros
>friendly and confident dogs when i've met them
>right size for me
>work from home and sleep in a big bed so enjoy the fluff
>I am marathon runner and cyclist so need a breed that can keep up (mushing/bikejoring being a plus)
>love their looks (shallow, but true)
>wife on board

Cons
>expensive (affordable just significantly more than say, a border collie)
>sister-in-law is a dog groomer and says its really hard to deal with their coats sometimes even if you get them properly groomed

Basically my wife has a small cat and therefore don't really want to get a husky (even though it's perfect for my running) cause I've heard that's a recipe for a dead cat and think a Samoyed would be a good compromise. What are some other negatives of the breed if there are any?
>>
>>4727285
Good luck finding a samoyed at the pound.
>>
>>4727285
Samoyeds are also sufficiently prey driven to eat a spicy squirrel aka cat. All spitz are self sufficient.

Get a collie and mind the neuroticism on a breeder by breeder basis. You want to sound like a “dog guy” by saying words like canicross and drive while specifying you cant put up with guarding and territorial instincts.
>>
>>4727285
My three huskies are great with cats, being left alone all night or day and they sleep together. Two were shelter rescues even.
Any dog you don;t acclimate to a cat will be a problem. I'm assuming you're getting a puppy and if so get anything you want, they will be chill* with the cat.
*won't consider them but will terrorize them trying to play
>>
>>4727300
My neighbor said this about HER cats but they would still heem strange/new cats and she was never able to get new cats because of it.

Thus my garden was clean for about 15 years until her husky croaked. Then she got 4 new cats and i started spending a lot of money on fencing.
>>
>>4727306
Cats are cunts though not at all like the ubermensch huskoid
>>
>>4727307
Yes that’s why the huskies have a final solution for any cat that has not earned honorary husky status
>>
File: 20240208_091324_1.webm (2.33 MB, 720x1280)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB WEBM
The interactions are pretty funny between a sweet dog and an asshole cat. Cat will bite dogs back legs or tail and provoke a chase or stand on a chair and smack him in the face when he walks by. Dog will completely disregard cats personal space, put her whole head in his mouth, flop over on her, push her around with his nose, etc.

I think they like each other's company most of the time.
>>
>>4727285
the shedding is the only real con. you can brush them until you have enough hair to make an exact full scale replica of the dog you just brushed, yet they still look like they did before you brushed them. its some real magician's hankerchief shit
>>
>>4727285
I think they're great dogs, and if your heart is set on one it might be the only breed that will make you happy. You should try to meet with a breeder to see their dogs in person, and ask if you can talk to some of their previous clients see how they got along with the dogs. Something to consider is their independent nature, very similar to huskies, they like to run, escape, and are difficult to train to be off leash. Personally after having a German shepherd I would have a hard time getting a dog that wasn't good off leash, it is an absolute game changer, the freedom my dog gets to experience and I don't need to stress about her running away of just great.
>>
>>4727462
I used to let my husky off leash but that's because she bonded very well to my cocker spaniel so as long as the spaniel had good recall, the husky treated her like a packmate and would come back too
The only other dogs I've had were Weimaraners and they never let you out of their sight
>>
Is your dog's arch nemesis the vacuum? I got this mini one for things and he hates it just as much. He has never bared his teeth like this at anything other than the vacuum. It's so funny. I see him as such a sweet and cute dog, but he could look pretty scary if he wanted!
>>
File: 20240207_173102(0).jpg (2.12 MB, 4032x1816)
2.12 MB
2.12 MB JPG
>>4727788
Chili doesn't like it, usually leaves the room. If you torment her with it she will look you in the eye, squat and piss on the floor out of spite. We don't do that anymore.
Ruca when younger would growl and bark at it, but now you can bump her with it and she couldn't care less. Which is her normal now.
>when younger incredibly obedient
>raise an eyebrow and she would heel on my right
>arthritis sets in
>now yell for her and get
>1. I'll think about it
>2. I'll get there when I get there
>3. No
Her golden years is max idgaf.
>>
>>4727788
>>4727839
Vacuum is too loud.
>>
>>4727868
Maybe. Does seem like everybody I know with a dog has the same experience with a vacuum cleaner.
>>
>>4727882
Mine doesn't give a shit unless you move it towards her in which case she just moves out of the way
>>
File: 1675459391214.webm (2.19 MB, 1125x2000)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB WEBM
>>4727868
>>4727839
Mine does not mind the vacuum itself, or when I'm pushing it around. He only attacks the wand/attachment part. He especially hates it when I try to vacuum his feet. Maybe the sound of the moving air, or the weird sensation of vacuum.

I have a slicker brush attachment for my vacuum and he doesn't mind that at all. Kinda strange.

This vid is from a year ago, and he acts basically the same.

>pissing out of spite
He did that once when I was playing rap music loudly. I say based.
>>
File: 39087345662856346121.png (1.49 MB, 1228x747)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
the weak should fear the strong
>>
how energetic are border collies, because i’m hearing mixed things, i’ve heard some people say their energy levels are largely exaggerated

for context, i work from home, want a hiking buddy - i like spending time outdoors, anywhere from 3 to 5 hours a day, would be taking the dog with me
mostly i just hike or wander around but cutting some time from that to make time for flyball seems appealing, there’s a few local teams that offer casual fun days and more serious training
i live in a decently sized apartment, do you think a border collie would fit in with my lifestyle?
>>
>>4725591
>watch videos of crufts last year in preparation for crufts this year
>notice something
>the vast majority of people doing dog sports with their dogs are women
>most people doing agility runs are women
>most people doing the dancing to music thing are women
>the only sport in which there are more men is flyball, and even then its pretty 50/50
>look at the videos of breed advocates in the convention halls
>all those people with very healthy-looking examples of every breed
>vast majority is women
I thought you guys told me women are shitty dog owners. What the fuck is this then?
>>
>>4728111
BC from a pound is a total crapshoot, and you may get the most ridiculously driven and OCD dog ever. Reputable breeders should be able to tell you if they focused on working dogs, or family friendly type pet dogs.

It also sounds like a puppy is a viable option for you.
>>
>>4728194
i would be going to a breeder for sure, epilepsy seems to be an issue in some lines here, so i want to try to avoid it
>>
>>4728210
Nice. Call different ones and ask about their drive. Make sure to understand what sort of genetic/parental testing should be done on the breed. If breeder doesn't willingly offer up serialized testing results do not buy from them. Meet the parents if you can.

>>4728090
What a cutie!
>>
>>4728219
will do, thanks for the advice
>>
>>4728144
>Women are good dog owners for supporting show breeding
Wrong

Notice all the dog owners ITT are men and all of them but the one with the smelly GSD have working line dogs or mutts and are spending too much time enjoying /out/ to go to faggy dog shows about
>bettering the breed by achieving 100% standard conformation while eliminating hip dysplasia, but not considering dropping dead at 8 an illness because what can we really do without destroying 200 years of breed tradition and purpose? dogs would all die if they were not bred to be neurotic sporting equipment.

Even the smelly "show bred" GSD fag is too busy being /out/ with his dog to bother with faggy fashion shows that encourage the genetic destruction of the species

Rico, post that image with the 3 wojaks discussing companion breeds comparing the reactions of chicken people, horse people, and dog "people".
>>
>>4728242
That "smelly gsd" is from a pedigree of dogs that consistently live to 14-15 years, and have won many performance awards aside from showing awards. Parents both tested excellent for joints and heart.

Funnily enough I am going to bathe him today using some super high quality shampoo, conditioner, and finishing spray I got recently. I have a feeling he is going to look incredible after his bath, and then immediately run into the water troughs on our next walk. -_-
>>
>>4728144
>women do thing for attention
shocking
>>
>>4725591
>Take dog to follow up appointment for his valley fever
>He can't go up or down stairs, had to lift him in and out of car
>Disinterested in food
>Lost 5 pounds since his last visit
>Vet does the full examination
>"Everything looks good!"
>No, he doesn't
>They x-ray his hind legs
>X-ray finds nothing
>"Lol it must be the weather"
>Send us home with an anti-inflammatory
What the hell do I do. He doesn't look good like the vet said, and bullshit it's the weather.
How do I get him to eat so he doesn't starve himself while we wait for the anti-inflammatory to kick in? I've tried all the basic tricks like chicken and wet food but he isn't enough as much as he should, just nibbles.
>>
>>4728319
Seasonal changes can give dogs an upset tummy, but your case sounds more severe than that. Do you ha e a different vet you could visit?
>>
are the bones they sell at petstores safe or is reddit right about them being deadly?
>>
>>4728242
>say nothing about show breeding, only mention dog sports, in which mutts are fully allowed.
So you're retarded, nothing else you say matters.
>>4728266
>training your dog to the highest level of their sport
>working with them for months if not years to get to this point
>n-nuh its only f-for attention ackshually.
Cope.
>>
>>4728344
It just isn't worth it. Try pizzle.
>>
>>4728328
>Do you ha e a different vet you could visit?
There's multiple vets at this clinic but I'd have to look if other clinics are under my insurance. Do you think there's something wrong with the vet? I pressed for an X-ray to see if his hind legs were arthritic, they said it turned up nothing like that and think 8 days of anti inflammatory will improve him.
I'm trying to feed him bit by bit and am hoping when those drugs take effect and he's more comfortable he will regain his appetite.
>>
>>4728363
>>training your dog
They get their boyfriends or neighbor to do that
>>
>>4728365
Can you request the xrays and/or ask for another opinion on them? Vets are human too, so maybe they didn't look close enough, or had some sort of lapse in judgement. Something is obviously wrong with your dog if it can't walk up stairs...
>>
>>4728371
>request the X-rays and/or ask for another opinion
I could do that, that's a good idea, thank you. But the judgement from the vet was that his valley fever caused inflammation in his legs, so she's hoping these meds will fix it, and that was before the X-rays got in. I also want to know how to help him eat while we wait for that to happen.
>>
>>4728378
Hmm, that could make sense. You'll know once the anti inflammatory meds start kicking in. Maybe try offering him some lean ground beef or boiled chicken breast just to get some calories in him.

>>4728363
It's also unfathomable that a breeder who has devoted their life/decades to an individual dog breed could actually care about their dogs or dog breed. They're just an object to utilize for money and accolades.
>>
>>4728383
>You'll know once the anti inflammatory meds start kicking in. Maybe try offering him some lean ground beef or boiled chicken breast just to get some calories in him.
Okay, thank you. They usually do a follow up over the phone after an appointment so I'm going to ask them about when that should happen and what can be done about eating. Thank you very much.
>>
>>4728385
Happy to help! Hope your dog makes a speedy recovery. :D
>>
File: 20240214_102235_1.webm (3.86 MB, 720x1280)
3.86 MB
3.86 MB WEBM
He was being a major goof.
>>
>>4728364
yeah I've been doing that but my 6 month old still finishes those things in an hour
>>
>>4728389
That's a long time must be a chihuahua
>>
My puppy has a toy that he loves but he has difficulty holding it in his mouth and so sometimes he will come running up to me with it, drop it and wait for me to do something
If I lunge at him he'll sometimes panic and try to pick up his toy to run away but sometimes he won't be able to
It's pretty funny
I usually just let him pick it up by staying still
>>
>>4728386
Thanks, but I'm not too optimistic. He can barely walk and has difficulty drinking water. It's like he wants to drink but he can use his tongue the same way he used to. I don't know what it is, it doesn't make sense.
>>
First deep snow for this pup, she was so hyped when she saw it coming down.
>>
>>4728445
>It's like he wants to drink but he can use his tongue the same way he used to
what does this mean? could you explain further?
>>
>>4728367
>Every single woman in crufts has a boyfriend/can afford a trainer
Incel schizophrenia.
>>
>>4728456
>>4728445
*can't
>>
>>4728456
Sure, he has difficulty getting up, so I put his bowl by his head to see if he was thirsty. He wanted to drink it, but the angle of the bowl and his head wasn't quite right so he could barely lap it up.

I knew this meant he was thirsty, so I stood him up to drink like he normally does. However, he did the same thing, he could barely stick his tongue out to lap up water.

Do you know what could be wrong? Could he just be lethargic or not thirsty? Or should I bring him to the vet to investigate if it continues? I'll try to have him drink later to recheck.
>>
>>4728455
>>4728458
you're making yourself way too easy to track
>>
>>4728469
If you can find all of them you get a gold star.
>>
>>4728468
we're not vets mate
>>
>>4728627
Sometimes it can be helpful to just talk a problem out with a third party. It can be especially helpful when you are in the middle of something stressful or emotional.

Anything dog or dog adjacent you want to talk about?
>>
File: 20240214_021629.jpg (1.25 MB, 2795x1800)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
I would like to give a very positive review of the chris christenson slicker brush. Every other slicker brush I have tried just didn't work, and I didn't really get what they were supposed to do. This one works amazingly well. Tommorow I will post a clean, groomed, and good smelling gsd. I washed him today, and didn't let him get too dirty afterwards. :D
>>
>>
>>4728669
Is your dog an ipad kid?
>>
>>4728671
I'm trying to get him addicted
>>
>>4728672
You're going to give your dog ADD. I've seen some kids thst get violent when you take their ipad away as well...
>>
>>4728675
That's the plan. Get him addicted, give him an iPad, take it away, and film his tantrum. Easy mulla on da tube

JANNIES THIS IS A FUCKING JOKE
>>
>>4728632
He's not eating and is very wobbly.
He's lying down but it's hard for him to get comfortable, like he keeps shifting.
Tomorrow he says the vet, but last time they said it was all dandy. It's not all dandy, what do I do?
>>
>>4728684
Probably just go to the vet... Give him a good scritch in the meantime as well.
>>
>>4728685
Thanks, the end of nese but my best friend did appreciate that scratch
>>
Any ways to stop a reactive dog from barking at fucking everything passing by the yard? Roommate brought home a rescue but refuses to let him inside the house and neighbors are complaining about all the barking, the dog is good and I'd hate to see him taken away because of the barking
>>
>>4726721
Why not use a pin brush?
>>
>>4727316
Don’t play with your food lmao.
>>
>>4727788
Dalton doesn’t mind as I have vacuumed his fur during grooming a few times. Marcie is quite weary of it and will leave if you're vacuuming her space.
>>
File: IMG_1830.jpg (2.32 MB, 4032x3024)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
>tfw my sweet boy is a fucking resource guarder
I’m constantly doing exercises, and it helps when I want to get something very formally, but it really puts a huge fucking damper on playtime. I miss when I could grab toys and play without a care in the world. I miss when playing fetch wasn’t some kind of bureaucratic process of “you may now grab the ball that I have dropped”. Give me back my sweet boy
>>
>>4727285
Samoyeds are generally lovely dogs. Pick one if you want a breed that's pleasant, affectionate and good with children without being kinda slow, dumb and drooling unlike some other family-friendly breeds.

However, they're not ideal if you want to do a lot of complex training or value intelligence above all else. They're not dumb, but won't quickly connect things and anticipate your will like a border collie can.
>>
>>4728827
>They're not dumb, but won't quickly connect things and anticipate your will like a border collie can.
IE they aren't a flesh automaton and have free will
>>
>>4728843
>implying non-working collies don't exist
>>
>>4728827
Samoyeds are kinda dumb tho
>>
Dumb(est) dogs aren't a true metric; they have no data surrounding them. We do however know about the smartest dogs.

But, are Samoyeds on that list? No.

For Spitzes, there are a few off the top of my head: Alaskan Klee Kai, Korean Jindo Dog, and the Kishu Ken.

Generally, herding dogs have the highest level of intelligent breeds.
>>
>>4728797
I didn't want to harm the poor lad. The detangler shampoo+conditioner + high velocity drying and a good slicker brushing got them all out with no pulling or pain.
>>
>>4728889
And these lists conflate obedience as intelligence, which is wrong.
>>
>>4728891
What list? Not the one I'm referencing. Despite that, obedience is a single factor to intelligence as it is a reliable metric because it's a manifestation of understanding.
>>
>>4728894
>What list
All of them. They always mark down dogs that don't want to put up with your faggy bullshit as dumber.
>>
>>4728895
>All of them.
[citation needed]

Give me an example of a dog breed generally considered intelligent yet not acknowledged on the list I'm using?
>>
>>4728896
Get your bot to post the list next time it mentions one. Conversation over, maybe next time try to pretend to be a human.
>>
>>4728898
If you want to be offended just log off. Why are you here? Certain dogs aren't top 20. That's what smartest means. No one said your doodlepug was dumb. It just isn't top 20 Mensa does.
>>
>>4728843
>being stupid is free will because they appear to be more disobedient
actual brainlet take fucking hell
>>
>>4728808
>tfw my sweet boy is a [objectively bad/aggressive/non-sweet behaviour]
actual reddit pitmommy thread title
>>
>>4728886
Depends on your metric. They were in the "somewhat above average" bracket last time I saw a study. Not geniuses by any means, but some breeds are unbelievably dumb.
>>
>>4728913
Are you retarded? Can you even read?
>>
ok so my dog is diabetic and has been pissing in the house a lot recently but his pee started smelling like beef liver recently... anyone know what this could mean?
>>
If I whistle and reward my dog Everytime he looks at me, will he start to look at me even if I whistle during distracting situations?
>>
>>4729031
Not necessarily. To truely master any command you must practice it in a variety of settings, and excitement levels.
>>
>>4729035
That's what I thought. If I whistle to get his attention and reward him when he's slightly distracted, and eventually super distracted, will he start to ignore whatever was distracting him and pay attention to me?
>>
>>4729046
You will need to work on sustain. Kind of like how you practice heel combined with a "break" or "free" command. That way dog will know that the command is not just to glance at you, but to keep his focus on you until you release him from it.

Any and all practice that requires patience, restraint, etc. Will be helpful.

Stay fetch is a good one to practice that kind of stuff. You have dog stay, throw ball, then say your release command to have him to go retrieve the ball. You can work on recall or stay while dog is retrieving the ball as well. For most dogs retrieving/chasing ball is a pretty excited state.
>>
my dog steals the carrot off every snowman
>>
>>4729056
Could you breakdown the stay-fetch game? And should I delay when I give him the treat for paying attention to me?
>>
>>4729079
Theres the first step is establishing the command, and the second step is building up the sustain. At first you'll want to give him the treat right away, and then later on you will give him the treat after you say your break command.

Do you mean how to train the stay fetch game?
>>
>>4729081
For the 2nd question, I was talking about whistling randomly to get his attention and rewarding him. I should delay the reward as we progress right?

I also want to know if I should hold his collar when I throw the ball or if that's cheating. I don't want to say stay but then he charges after the ball
>>
>>4729086
Yes, as you progress.

When I was first starting I would hold his collar and reward him if he stayed. He was too excitable at first. After a few reps I didn't need to do that anymore.
>>
>>4729096
That's good to hear. I've been meaning to teach him this kind of stuff. Thanks
>>
>>4729100
Good luck! It took my dog a while to get decent at listening to me while excited, so remember to have patience, and try to be consistent. Especially if they are still young!
>>
File: e98.jpg (143 KB, 1280x720)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>4729106
How long did it take? Something that I need to work on myself is patience because when he doesn't listen to me and makes a scene outside when something changes his attention, it humiliates me a lot and it frustrates me
>>
>>4729112
Expect weeks to months depending on how much effort you put into it, and your dogs personality. Doing some research on things like reactivity training will give you much more detailed information on how you can effectively train your dog. That will help speed things up. 15-30 minutes of well structured training is all you really need in the long run.
With the correct training/guidance it's something I think dogs sort of grow into as they mature, so you can't really expect too much from a dog still in adolescence.
>>
In terms of walking in a way that makes it enjoyable for us both, I've taught my wrong things at the wrong time. He does not know how to heel, yet I am trying to train him to "heel" without him knowing the command and without me verbally initiating it. Can I salvage this situation?
>>
File: 1695783462383.webm (1.28 MB, 2000x1125)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB WEBM
>>4729119
15-30 mins per day. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

>>4729127
First train Marker command, lure command and then retrain the heel properly.

Look up videos for the first two, train them, then use them to train a heel. They are very straightforward to teach if your dog is food motivated.

Once you understand how to use them to shape and reinforce behavior you can basically train your dog to anything.
>>
>>4729138
What should I do while we are training? Im worried about continuing walking improperly because I feel like that might confuse him even more and ruin our training. Would it be alright to stomach his improper-walking-ness for the sake of allowing him to save fun and to get some outdoor exercise?
>>
File: 1674197933401.webm (2.24 MB, 1125x2000)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB WEBM
>>4729127
If you're in the right space to use a long leash I would recommend trying that out. I have a 30 foot leash that takes almost all the annoying pulling stuff out of walking him. I'll use it for our night walks when I'm not going from A-B for off leash stuff.

There's a lot you can do when it comes to no pulling and good walking. Heeling is pretty boring for dogs, so it's better to just teach them to not pull, and be responsive to leash pressure. A slipknot leash, choke chain, or martingale collar can work wonders if you teach them to properly respond to the feedback those style of collars give them.
>>
>>4729141
We're past the pulling, luckily, but he does hang a head of me and mostly does his own thing. Im sure it's fun for him, but it stops being fun when he starts crying and barking when he's not able to interact with the dogs or trash or joggers across the street. That's really my main issue, that he doesn't listen to me when I saw "No, be quiet". It really angers me. I know I need to be patient but it really angers me
>>
>>4729138
>>4729119
All good bro. I appreciate the help
>>
File: 1673902891224.webm (2.94 MB, 1125x2000)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
>>4729146
That's reactivity. Much harder to deal with, but it is possible. You could try practicing heel with a dog park in the distance, and work your way closer as he makes progress.

I've heard of this other one where you bring one of those dog cots somewhere that dogs or people will walk by and you have the dog lay on the cot. Reward when he does not react to passersby. It's usually called a place command.

This vid was taken like a year ago. I can have him in the same field as the goats and he'll ignore them completely now.
>>
>>4729155
Let's pretend I don't have access to a dog park. Could I just sit outside and let him get used to the neighbors walking next to us?
>>
File: Obed1673576495169.webm (1.46 MB, 1125x2000)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB WEBM
>>4729157
Yep. You reward him when he doesn't react. When a dog gets overly excited they will usually stop listening to you, so the goal is to practice switching off from that overly excited state, listening to you in the excited state, and not getting overly excited in the first place.

I like to practice recall while playing fetch because the chase/retrieve is one of those excited states.

Another one I'll do is to have him heel, and then walk past or away from his ball a few times.
>>
>>4729161
Could you talk about what you do exactly during your recall-training? My dog loves to fetch the ball, but he drops it in my vicinity, not in my hand.

And what are the steps you do when you walk past his ball in a heel? Is it as simple as it sounds?

Thank you
>>
>>4725612
Mr.toads sorcerer was a redneck
>>
File: 20231009_114620.jpg (647 KB, 1688x2343)
647 KB
647 KB JPG
>>4729163
I used the technique in this book to train it. He took to it very well, and will sprint towards me 99% of the time. I've practiced it in lots of different situations after establishing the command with him. There's two pages.

Yeah, you just have him heel and walk past the ball. Reward when he ignores it. He is basically a ball crazy dog, so it takes some restraint on his part to ignore the ball.
>>
File: 20231009_114642.jpg (977 KB, 1724x2526)
977 KB
977 KB JPG
>>4729163
Part 2.
>>
>>4729171
>>4729170
>>4729170
Thanks bro
>>
>>4729188
Happy to help!
>>
File: 1692863728932095.webm (1019 KB, 480x848)
1019 KB
1019 KB WEBM
Moved house 6 days ago to a new rental
Going to request permission for a dog soon, my state laws say he has to say yes or get a tribunal order saying that the animal i want to keep is unrealistic at the property (nice house, big garden, absolutely wont win a fight against a dog)
Wonder if it's gunna piss him off. Really not sure how long I should wait.
Don't want a landlord who hates me but also want a dog finally
>>
>>4729228
For your own sanity just don't do it if he says no. Yes I agree it is shitty but postpone getting a dog until you have your own place because the amount of shittiness a hostile landlord can cause is just too much, trust me. But I hope he agrees with you dogbro
>>
>>4729256
If he actually does anything major then I can get him fined by the gubbermint which will likely mean I have to move but hopefully the threat of that would be enough to stop it. End of the day I make good money and won't miss rent so I hope he won't give a shit.
>>
Best way to cut my dog's back nails if I have no one to distract him?
>>
>>
File: 1688692862582218.jpg (96 KB, 980x980)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Are there plants for dogs I can grow? My dog loves eating on my plants but not the grass. So I was wondering.
>>
>>4725591
I took my dog to the vet because he couldn't walk and refusing food. They sent him to the emergency vet where they did a full battery of tests and diagnosed him with Addison's. They saved him for around four thousand USD.
He's slowly recovering, but I'm wondering when something happens again and he needs the quick and thorough work the emergency vets provided, where can I take him for that kind of healthcare but where the cost can be handled by insurance? If such a place exists.
His usual vet clinic just doesn't have the tools or skills necessary to do anything more than send me somewhere else that isn't covered.
>>
>>4729397
Your best bet for that sort of information is probably pet owner facebook groups local to your area
>>
>>4729397
>four thousand USD
Holy Christ. Pet keeping really is getting to be one of the most expensive hobbies/activities to get into
>>
>>4729441
How unhinged do you have to be to think a living thing is a hobby
>>
>>4729446
Calm down buddy, people call fish keeping and shit ‘hobbies’ all the time, whatever you want to call it
>>
>>4729426
Seems like no company covers hospitalization because it's just too much
>>
>>4729441
It's medicine. The technology and labor to run complex tests and everything to stabilize a dying creature and then maintain them while they recover.
>>
>>4729476
If at any point your only options are paying out of pocket or euthanasia, that's the choice you'll be stuck with I guess. As unfortunate as it is. The veterinary care and pet insurance policies are very different where I live.

I would look into costs in faraway places if you'll be paying yourself anyway. For a surprising amount of medical/dental/veterinary purposes it can be worth it to book a flight to somewhere cheap.
>>
>>4729397
>anon still hasnt figured out that pet insurance is a scam
>>
>>4729517
not him but explain?
>>
what dog breeds can actually run a marathon?
which would be the fastest?
>>
>>4729534
Explain why paying for veterinary insurance and not getting veterinary service in return is a scam?
>>
>>4729564
my insurance didnt have any stipulations on which places were covered but i dont live in america, home of the criminally unjust healthcare system
that being said i dont think insurance is worth it for me, i just have a rainy day fun now and hope to never need it
>>
>>4729565
>that being said i dont think insurance is worth it for me
So you've never really had or tried to use pet insurance? Then that's why you don't think it's a scam.
>Pay £25 a month to insure my old dog, a jack russel cross
>More expensive since it has no papers to confirm lack of genetic predisposition to health issues or some fucking dogshite
>Stabs himself in the gum playing fetch with a stick, lol
>Not a huge issue but needed one or two stitches
>Whole thing came to about £350
>Tried to claim it on insurance
>Denied
>Fucking why?
>Oh uhh. Uhhhh. It was uhhh. An accident lol. And £350 isn't that much u can just cover that lol lol.
>Like, yeah I can and I did but that's not the fucking point. What am i fucking paying you for? Cancel my insurance.
>Oh yeah sure that'll be a £50 cancellation fee since you've been with us for over 4 years haha.
I just stopped paying it and never received any correspondence, that was a few years ago now. Fuck insurance, you're better off with a rainy day fund,
>>
>>4729567
Lmao you paid 1200 whatevers for fucking nothing
>>
>>4729567
>So you've never really had or tried to use pet insurance? Then that's why you don't think it's a scam.
i have, and had to use it, it was fine, i paid my excess ($300) and they covered surgery costs beyond that
they dont cover dental which they were upfront about but i didnt need
it wasnt a scam it just wasnt worth the cost/benefit analysis i did after a year of having it, the year of having it alone was more than the surgery costs they covered and it was unlikely to be a regular issue
>>
>>4729572
I've never done the proper maths because this was a few years ago now and my premiums steadily went up with inflation, but basically yeah. It was a fucking nightmare and now I just put a similar amount of money a month away in a savings account where I can actually fucking USE IT when I have to.

>>>4729580
Oh well I'm glad it worked out for you then anon.
>>
>>4729580
>the year of having it alone was more than the surgery costs they covered
thats basically the scam part
>>
What fence types would you recommend for large, athletic breeds?
>>
>>4729707
A solid fence
>>
>>4729710
4ft, 5ft, or 6ft? The only fence I think out of the question is electric. I've seen so many instances of dogs escaping because the battery dies and then the owner gets fucked over (on top of being retards and not watching their dog and just leaving it outside but still)
>>
>>4729711
Yeah bro a 4 foot fence which can easily be walked over by your dog will do it.
7ft and 1 foot down
>>
>>4729711
Get coyote rollers and a fairly tall fence.
>>
Taking care of a Chihuahua puppy that barks at every slight noise outside, how do you get it to be quiet? It's leaving soon so it's not going to be an ongoing issue for me, just curious how people deal with this sort of behavior.
>>
File: 20240217_095734.jpg (1.28 MB, 1721x3820)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>fresh snow
>take extremely active puppy out for some exercise
>she refuses to go out
>2 minutes later
She doesn't like snow. Literally had to dig out a hole for her to squat
>>
>>4729868
Is it nervous barking, territorial barking, or excited barking? How you handle each is different. Since you’re watching someone else’s pet (presumably at your place, not theirs) I’m going to assume nervous barking. Nervous barking is best reduced by doing things that make the dog feel more secure. Which is hard, because you’ve torn her away from her people and home, lol.
>>
File: 20240217_122805.jpg (1.45 MB, 1760x3907)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB JPG
>>4729984
>>
>>4729984
>>4730087
wtf where's the dog
>>
File: 20240217_095647.jpg (1.21 MB, 1684x3738)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>4730144
For some reason it's her favorite blanket
>>
File: 21046-121.jpg (407 KB, 1500x1198)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
Boos
>>
>>4730220
fatty
>>
So many beautiful GSD in this thread...
Posting awkward close-ups of mine to change it up a bit
>>
>>4730224
She is on a weight loss journey
>>
I dropped hope off at a dog pound. I wasn't able to find her a home.
>>
>>4730354
Hopefully it was a kill shelter.
>>
File: 8g7ixr.jpg (81 KB, 666x500)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>4730354
:'(
This is Hope.
>>
>>4730355
>*no kill shelter
I omitted a fairly important word.
>>
>>4730359
>no, kill shelter
Forgot a comma, sorry.
>>
>>4729397
My buddy is back, but it seems like the rest of his life is going to be different. He's on steroids for life, and so I have to watch out for Cushing's disease. He also needs an injection every month, so I have to schedule that. He also needs routine blood and electrolyte testing.
Moreover, I have to watch out for in case he has an "Addison's crisis," which is a return of the symptoms. If such a crisis occurs it's going to be thousands of dollars to get him to recover in the ER again.

Lastly, there's this low stress thing. Since he's being supplemented with hormones it needs to be balanced, and high stress situations could cause an imbalance. For instance, I need to give him a higher dosage on vet days. Also, apparently dogs can pick up on stress, and I'm stressed all the time. Stressed from what just happened to him, stressed for the future for him, and stressed about these potential crises. I'm a neurotic person, so I don't know how to calm myself. He's has a condition that I have to meticulously manage for the rest of his life and any little imbalance will result in a major setback and require loads of money? And I need to be relaxed? I don't know how to do it.
>>
>>4730356
do you have a ceramic vase in your car specifically to be used as a garbage bin?
>>
i think the vet just murdered my mates dog
>10 year old mutt
>taken into the vet because of vomiting
>vet said she was injecting her with "antihistamines"
>dog falls over dead seconds later
the vet had to fuck up, right? antihistamines can't cause an immediate death even if the dog is allergic or something can they
>>
>>4730392
>ceramic
That's plastic bud
>>
>>4730416
really sorry for your loss anon. the vet didn't do any tests or refer you to an emergency hospital for tests? because unless the vomiting was immediately life threatening that's what she should've done.
how long ago was this?
>>
>>4730392
It's a bucket. I'm Anya poster.
>>
>>4729360
they like rosemarry
>>
>>4729563
Huskies, Carolina dogs, dingoes, pack animal dogs.
>>
>>4729155
my dog throws a tantrum when he realizes he is not going to go greet a passing dog. he will sit. lie down. be completely quiet up until the point that the dog goes from walking towards to walking away from him.

he does the same thing when people he loves leave after a visit. barks as they walk away to their car.
>>
>>4730438
Show Anya
>>
File: SLAMMIN.jpg (54 KB, 640x636)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
I like my dogs SMASHED and SLAMMED!!!
>>
File: 8g7y6e (1).jpg (1.19 MB, 1920x2560)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>4730486
Morning
>>
File: ddddwer.png (2.76 MB, 1571x1039)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB PNG
9 month old male beagle mix has seemingly been leaving these "creamy, beige droplets" all around the house (gfs words, not mine)
My initial thought is that his balls dropped and this is the result (b def looks like sperm to me), but then sometimes the stuff looks almost like a glob of brown paint, and gf insists it can't be sperm - maybe drool? First time I've had a puppy that wasn't neutered, all my previous were neutered by the time I owned them.
He's kinda been in a weird mood lately, spent like a week barely eating anything, now he's back to his usual diet of dry food/wet food, occasional treats, and toy bones.
Any ideas? Drool, jizz, spittle? Anything I should be concerned about? Thanks, apologies if it's not the best pics, gf took them while I'm here at work and I said I would consult the experts (y'all).
>>
>>4730521
Might be bile. Have you seen him barf? You could give it a whiff. If it's bile it will have a barfy kinda sour smell.
>>
File: DOG COOM.jpg (159 KB, 768x1024)
159 KB
159 KB JPG
>>4730523
Not even 1 minute ago, he did indeed spit another one of these things up, so we do have confirmation that it's coming out of his mouth and not other holes lol. Still I find it weird that it's only ever a single drop or two drops. Regardless, gf is too bussy to smell it so will have to wait for when I get home from work. Thanks, i think she will at least take some solace in the fact that the house isn't being flooded in dog jizz
pic related is the coomer in question
>>
>>4730527
A real cute dog! Nice.
>>
File: 20231006_165641.jpg (689 KB, 846x1879)
689 KB
689 KB JPG
>>4729563
Dalmatians were bred and used for coach dogs. They can handle 5+ miles with ease, and have a top speed of 37mph
https://highlandcanine.com/the-fastest-dog-breeds-in-the-world/#:~:text=A%20very%20distinctive%20dog%2C%20Dalmatians,to%2037%20miles%20per%20hour.
>>
>>4730231
Very nice, I don't remember seeing this dog before
>>
File: 1708263903196.jpg (1.06 MB, 768x1568)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
My dog occasionally nibbles open his pads. We did an allergy blood test which was inconclusive. Hes not significantly allergic to anything. So what else could be the cause or reason for this behavior? Its very stressful because I can't leave him alone without being certain that he wont bite something open, unless I put socks on all 4 paws. I have a suspicion that he opens up small splits that occur naturally or from dry skin. Usually if he makes his mind up on nibbling at one paw/pad that one paw/pad will be his focus exclusively for the coming days, while the others wont be at risk of being bitten. So its usually sufficient to just put a sock on one paw to prevent him from biting, until he forgets about it. But I can never be sure. Hes also done this behavior both in winter and summer months so the seasons don't seem to have anything to do with it. Ive mixed up his food/treats because I was wondering if it could cause it but it seems to be irrelevant. I clean out sand and mud with water almost daily from inbetween the pads in case thats causing an itch or irritation. I dont use a particularly strong chemical cleaning agent for the floors either and usually only vacuum. There's also no evidence for fungus on the skin and I find that aswell as mites highly unlikely in the winter months anyway. Any ideas/advice?
>>
>>4730594
What brand of dogfood does he eat?
>>
>>4730600
High quality organic stuff sold here in Germany. Ive even experimented with hyooallergic food. Tried wet food from the can in the past. I also store all the dry foods in a sealed box to prevent mites from getting in, which are said to cause allergic reactions.
>>
File: 20240214_170702~2.jpg (2.18 MB, 4032x1908)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
The snow gives her little eyebrows
>>
>>4730612
Ps. Mites in food usually cone from the production process. But from the stuff I feed him I just think its highly unlikely that it causes the nibbling given the high quality
>>
>>4730617
Beautiful
>>
File: 20240218_112612.jpg (272 KB, 780x1126)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
Anyone with a corgi here have experience taking them to the groomer?

I've never taken mine before this weekend because I wanted to try with a treatment for shedding and to see how it would look so I too him to PetSmart since I have 0 experience with this and it was the fastest and easiest to do. The lady said "corgi don't get haircuts" and I'm wondering if it's true? Especially when the butt fluff meme is ancient at this point and the only way to get it is by shaping it? I'm also not concerned about his coat getting cut and just the neat look overall like getting the fur between the toes removed.

Anyone have any advice on grooming corgi?
>>
>>4730594
When my dog was doing that I just got some moisturizer and put it on her paws and that was enough to get her to stop.
>>
>>4730594
Just a sign of irritation/nervousness, could be lots of things; dry skin, road salt, allergy, infection, or just a nervous tick.
>>4730634
Ty
>>4730653
Idk that much about grooming, you could probably shape up the long fur with scissors but most dogs with double coats shouldn't be cut, just washed and nails trimmed.
>>
This goober found some other dogs frisbee, trying a new way to hold it
>>
>>4730690
That's sort of the idea I had, just trimming and getting rid off the excess fur in his toes. Was is supposed to work for the shedding according to the service.

Just need to find somewhere that's not PetSmart since it's ridiculously expensive there.
>>
my dog had a seizure today out of seemingly nowhere. no health concerns for 6 years, then all of a sudden she has a seizure. i took her to the vet, they took some blood but i won't be able to get the results for 2 to 3 business days. they gave me some anti-seizure meds to squirt up her nose if it happens again. sure enough, she had another seizure again 5 hours later so i gave her the meds, and now she won't stop panting and seems very thirsty. i called the vet again and they told me if she has another seizure within the next 48 hours to bring her in to be hospitalized under intensive care. i'm really worried about her, she has not had any health issues before.
>>
>>4731079
You should bring her to the ER now.
>>
>>4731144
its expensive
>>
>>4731144
i don't disagree because i am very concerned but could you explain why i should listen to your advice over the vet's advice?
>>
>>4731151
My dog was slowing down and eating less and his vet said he looked good, that's it's just the weather. The night after he collapsed and then he's in the ER nearly dead. The ER vet gives the diagnosis, her team nurtures him back to health and he comes home with meds and a treatment plan. Up until then I thought he it was the end for him. It would've saved a lot of pain for me and him if I just took him sooner. There's likely something going on with your dog that your vet can't or won't find, but the hospital will. You should get it dealt with while you can.
>>
>>4731079
Do you give your dog nexguard, or similar chewable flea/tick medicine?
>>
>>4731153
ok good idea, thanks for the advice. better safe than sorry
>>4731204
nothing for fleas or ticks, but the heartworm medicine i give my dogs once a year is chewable
>>
My dog is starting to become aggressive with other dogs lately and I don’t know what to do. I’m guessing it stems from fear and anxiety. She wasn’t like this as a puppy. We socialized her as best as we could and she even has a few dogs she’s known as a puppy that she enjoys playing with. But she’s now trying to attract dogs she’s not familiar with.

A couple of days ago, we went into a Petco, and a dog adoption event was going on. Most of the dogs up for adoption were retired research beagles. While my dog didn’t attack them, she was baring her teeth and growling when they got close to her. It may have been because she was overwhelmed or anxious being in the Petco, which is something we’re trying to work on.

Yesterday, we went to my in-laws house and brought our dog over because they were going to watch her when we went out. My sister-in-law was visiting and has a shih-tzu. For some reason my dog just suddenly attacked the shih-tzu for no reason. Everyone freaked out and now my sister- in-law and her kid thinks my dog is dangerous.

My dog is a 2.5 year old Labrador/Aussie mix. Where is this aggression coming from? She is also the type of dog to bark and growl at every animal that appears on TV.

Is the aggression stemming from being anxious in an environment she doesn’t want to be in? When we first got our dog as a puppy, we couldn’t take her to too many places due to covid. Husband has been frequently taking her to Home Depot and Petco, but she’s still nervous and always pulls to leave.

How can we correct this behavior? Both her aggression and anxiety. I’d hate to leave her home alone and away from other dogs for the rest of her life.
>>
>>4730950
Or you could just diy
>>4731079
Hang in there and just try to keep your pup destressed as best as possible
>>4731304
Your dog needs more socialization, and positive experiences to build it's confidence in strange situations, and it needs to trust that you won't put it in a compromised position.
>>
>>4731312
The weird thing is, she has never attacked my sister-in-law’s dog before. They fought once because they were both going for food that had fallen under the table during a family dinner but my dog has never tried to go right for the shih tzu. My dog was also very excited to see family members she had not seen in awhile and I didn’t get to walk her earlier due to inclement weather, so I wonder if that was why she just charged and attacked the shih tzu.

It’s just sad because my 5 year old nephew saw it happen and asked if my dog was going to attack him next.
>>
Is dog insurance necessary? My sister insists on it but she also is a housewife who doesn’t works with money to burn, and is the type to buy into any ”wellness” fad
>>
>>4731332
If you have a breed with chronic health issues that will make you bring to the the vet 3+ times a years plus you have brain damage and will allow them to eat all the trash they want and get in fights with wild animals/cars
>>
File: fluffy pitbull.png (438 KB, 1200x1200)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
>>4731304
the ausfalian sheppoids ancient mastiff DNA strikes again
>>
>>4731312
>Your dog needs more socialization, and positive experiences to build it's confidence in strange situations

So how exactly do I do that? Do I just need to bring her to Petco, Home Depot and/or the dog park more frequently? She starts whining and crying as soon as we pull the car into the parking lot.
>>
>>4731481
Maybe not the dog park, aka doggy fight club, but if you have a friend with a dog who can help socialize them together on a frequent basis. Big thing is to try to minimize negative experiences so your dog doesn't feel like it has to solve any problems itself (by violence).
>>
File: American Husky (1).jpg (2.92 MB, 3803x2852)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>4731304
Cycle Beckman videos https://youtu.be/_NSl0vt2Er0?si=lAJoxp6dswgpy9d2 keep us posted on your progress.
>>
>>4731495
Cross the street for pitbulls. Not worth socializing with them or their owners.
>>
what happens if i feed a dog a piece of steak?
>>
>>4731559
mustard gas
>>
>haven't taken my dog to the vet
>can't be around other dogs until he gets his shots
i hate myself
>>
>>4731312
>tfw let my dog lick bowls clean
>tfw if I told anybody they'd probably be disgusted even though I wash everything with scorching hot water and tons of soap.
>>
My pup loves to have her jowls scratched, anyone else's dog like that?
>>4731559
See this webm >>4731312
>>
>>4731591
You too?
>>
File: 8gd68f (1).jpg (1.37 MB, 2560x1920)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
Anyone in the USA want this free foxy bitch?
>>
>>4731606
Free? What's the catch? Demon Husky mix?
>>
Anyone ever notice small dogs and their owners are always yappin' about somethin' but tall people and big dogs have a gentle giant demeanor?
>>
>>4731606
What part of the country?
>>
File: 8gdtl9 (1).jpg (1.23 MB, 2560x1920)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>4731613
The catch is you meet Anya poster in person.
>>4731617
Anywhere in the continental US.
>>
File: 2024-02-19 12.24.35.jpg (2.26 MB, 2000x2000)
2.26 MB
2.26 MB JPG
>there are people in this very thread who have been walking their dogs on p*vement

>>4729360
mine only chews on trees. never sticks. sticks are boring. only trees.
>>
>>4731617
Yeah, little dogs are scared of big dogs and people and cats cats, rightfully so. So they act extra aggressive to ward them off.
>>
File: 20190525_124031.jpg (1.48 MB, 2560x1440)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
rest in peace Archie you big fluffy doofus
>>
>>4731636
Stray dog?
>>
>>4731641
anyamolester enjoys kidnapping lost pets and selling them on godless furfag forums. i hope southwest us bros are keeping a close eye on their dogs so this canine pedophile doesn't abduct them.
>>
>>4731638
Yeah I can see that. If I was small enough to get picked up by a raptor I'd be pissed off all the time too.
>>
>>4731641
Yes.
>>4731643
No.
>>
>>4731606
Looks too small
>>
>>4731651
Shes still a puppy.
>>
>>4731648
Tempting, my pup could use company, but I was hoping to get her a male friend, she seems to get along better with males.
>>
>>4731644
Being fair there’s quite a few animals that can be picked up by a raptor depending on the species
>>
>>4731151
>>4731153
i reread my post and i wanted to clear up that i meant no hostility towards you or your advice or anything. sorry for presenting it that way. i drove her to the ER at like 5 AM after reading what you posted, and sure enough, she had a seizure on her way. thank you for putting that doubt in my head and getting her the care she needed. she was under hospital care the whole day and they gave her some assortment of meds and iv drip, and she has not had a seizure since. in fact, they said she seemed very normal. they will monitor overnight one more time and if all is well, i will get her back tomorrow with some caveats and some other meds, but at least my dog is not dead. her brother back at home is very concerned, because whenever we say her name he kind of perks up or tries to go to the garage, but he will hopefully have some good news tomorrow. thank you again.
>>
File: Just aussie things.jpg (2.22 MB, 4032x3024)
2.22 MB
2.22 MB JPG
Can anyone explain this sleeping position? He usually lays on the floor but tonight he’s comfy.
>>
>>4731926
Ah, I see now. He’s going for the prime Roman salute/hitler youth look.
>>
File: 1533403520737.png (28 KB, 655x509)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>4725591
How do i get my dog to stop growling out of frustration when we're passing other dogs?
He's 14 months old. Distracting him when passing people has become increasingly easy, more often than not he doesn't make a sound. But when passing dogs he gets too focused on them.
Right now when that happens, i kneel in front of him and hold him by the collar, and try to get his attention, and wait until the other dog has passed. As soon as it has, he whines a bit before snapping out of it.
Am i doing it wrong? Should i keep walking even if he pulls towards them?
It's definitely out of frustration and not aggression, because he's like that with my brothers dog as well, and they play really nice when off the leash. He has never shown outright aggression
>>
>>4731853
nevermind i spoke too soon, she's gone. i can't believe how fast her condition turned for the worse.
>>
My dog almost ate some rotten thing with fucking maggots on it, had to grab whatever the fuck that was and the smug cunt bite me (softly even though she was surprised because i had to grab her by the snot), i cant believe this 13yo golden prefers disgusting shit to most treats while my mutt cant even look at banana strings
>>
File: 8gi7yf.jpg (1.25 MB, 1920x2560)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
She's got a fluffy booty.
>>
File: 8gi8f3.jpg (1.2 MB, 1920x2560)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
I'm going to name her Pepper.
>>
>>4732364
No. Kaya
>>
>>4732324
I'm sorry to hear that anon. You did everything you can when you didn't hesitate to take her to the hospital. I wish the best for you and her brother.
Did the vets there ever find out the cause?
>>
I feel abnormal for always wanting to shower my dog with love
Am I autistic for not being able to ignore my dog when he is happy to see me?
>>
>>4732567
>I am a normal, functioning human that behaves as expected in situations, is this weird?
>>
File: LREdit (1 of 1).jpg (3.31 MB, 2901x4309)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB JPG
:D
>>
File: image000000(4).jpg (253 KB, 797x1063)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>4732567
>Am I autistic for not being able to ignore my dog when he is happy to see me?
>anons dog actually gives them the choice
>>
We have to put our dog down today. We knew this day would come, we adopted him as an older dog, but up until a few months ago, you wouldn't guess his age just looking at him and how he acted. He's 15, and a breed that rarely lives past 13, but up until a few months ago, he still acted like he was 5. We noticed his age start to show over the winter, but his health took a really bad turn for the worse yesterday.
>>
>>4732970

>>4732970
>>
Well yall I fucked up. I had that Mastiff JoJo and was waiting until it was fully grown to get fixed. It had been through multiple heat cycles with no aggressive behavior towards my fixed dogs.

Well I left it out when I went to work with my dogs and when I got home from night shift I found it had killed my oldest and wounded my GSP (who’s fine now) I was stunned since I had never seen aggression in a year though I knew it was my fault not separating her and then I figured out the problem. My fucking puppy Rottweiler entered her first heat at the same time. So she obviously had all her pent up energy, surge of estrogen but this time she smelled another in heat and must’ve just channeled it into aggression. I’m just glad my puppy rottweiler stayed out of it and was unharmed.

I took her to the vet to be euthanized that morning but they talked me off a cliff. Luckily her breeder immediately contacted me and took her, he keeps all dogs kenneled so it’s safer for her there. I may take her back after a year when she’s fixed and I’ve built a kennel but it sucks knowing this one was my fault. I knew two dogs in heat will fight but didn’t realize a dog in heat could attack fixed females. I’ve had a million dogs in my lifetime and this is a lesson learned, just separate your dog when it’s in heat period
>>
For me, it's the Staffordshire Bull Terrier
>>
>>4733020
>My breeder took a dog that killed my other dog and totally wont breed them they promise (read: oh boy, fightin DNA!(
i would have used a shotgun. dog does not hurt dog.
>>
>>4732567
I'm the same way, the energy is contagious
>>4732707
Damn that's rough, a long time have with a good friend
>>4733020
Same sex aggression is crazy, especially to a fixed dog, that's some bad luck
>>
>>4733030
If I had the proper caliber for my pistol I would’ve done it right there. I was basically crying all the way to the vet but decided I shouldn’t kill her for something that was essentially entirely hormonally related

>>4733038
Yeah I heard bitches in heat will go for the kill with another bitch in heat and won’t stop. I think the problem was she also just hit a huge energetic stage and had gotten destructive when I’ve been working my long 12 hour shifts. Also my oldest who was 10 was the one dog I have that won’t back down from a fight. Obviously all the surges of estrogen hit her and she sniffed my rotts heat and all that energy and hormonal changes surges into aggression at my oldest. Most aggression is misplaced energy after all. I think my gsp only got bit up because she got in between it. My puppy rott was clean, I think she just ran away and hid under my bed. It really was horrendous luck. I knew I’d come home to find my oldest dead one day but didn’t expect that.

Im just glad I didn’t kill my mastiff since she really is a good sweet girl, I had never seen aggression from her pretty much ever
>>
>>4733020
I'm sorry for your loss, and would like to thank you for sharing it with us. Maybe your story/mistake will help someone who reads it.
>>
>>4733136
I have always had nothing but female dogs and never had two bitches actually go for the kill in my most neglectful moment. The reason? I don't keep aggressive dogs in the first place. It's not misplaced energy, it's genetics, it's inherited tendencies towards greater levels of stress and aggressive reactions. A lab with nothing but misplaced energy is way less likely to kill another dog than a wolf hybrid or an alabai.

I would have absolutely put that dog down.
>>
File: Tough.png (42 KB, 500x461)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>4733020
What’s done is done. You can only move forward now.

>>4733446
Corsi and Neos aren’t secretly aggressive. It’s known.
>>
How do I know if my dog has an ear infection? He shakes his head a lot more when he just wakes up or after spending a while laying down, but when he's playing it outside using the bathroom, he doesn't shake his head.

Is he not getting enough exercise? And what are some home remedies you guys recommend?
>>
novo generalis
>>4733719
>>4733719

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.