[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

A recent post got me thinking about cosplayers who make a habit of cheating in masquerades or craftsmanship contests, especially since some contests have cash prizes attached now. Let's get a list going of cosplayers to be wary of, and any interesting stories you have about contest cheating. This can include:

>Claiming you made a mass-produced cosplay
>Claiming you made a commissioned cosplay
>Lying about how a part of a cosplay was made, or if it was made at all
>Repeated sandbagging (aka entering multiple contests with a cosplay that already won a more prestigious contest)
>Sandbagging the same convention with the same cosplay
>>
File: patreon.jpg (113 KB, 540x495)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>10029987
OP image is PaperToadette, multi-time cheater in New England. Most recently stirred up a shitstorm after her obviously China factory 2B dress won best master's craftsmanship at a small-medium sized con. When people started pointing fingers about it on the con's page, she doubled down by:

>Claiming the whole thing was a witchhunt brought on by an ex-friend
>Claiming that China stole product images from HER and that's why they look so similar
>Claiming she had no progress photos because she just never took them
>Posting a free "tutorial" to her Patreon page as proof that she hand-sewed the embroidery herself. The template she posted didn't match the dress's embroidery and was stolen from an Etsy seller's page, which she claimed to be ignorant of after said seller demanded she take it down and stop posting it for free.

Sadly, the con did not take away her award and it just ended up damaging their reputation.
>>
I said this in the other thread too but some cheaters will go through huge efforts to fool judges. They'll bring in tons of progress photos and talk in detail about how outfit was made, even though it was commissioned. However I only see this level of effort when good prizes are involved.
>>
File: GoShiina_04.jpg (387 KB, 1280x852)
387 KB
387 KB JPG
Guy who won the Tales of Ambassador contest in 2015 cheated (white coat in the middle). He's actually a huge trainwreck so lemme summarize:

> didn't make his costume, his friend's mom did
> he's never made a costume in his life
> applique is made of foam so he can't wash the costume
> continues to wear the untreated costume for the next 3 years, he has no others
> won the competition but doesn't have a valid visa, so he couldn't even travel around Europe to represent the company. Visa was a requirement of entering.
> proceeds to creep on any Asian girl, but only the Japanese, pretends he's Japanese and thinks he's best buds with Raika (I wish I was joking)
> emotionally abused and manipulated his friends because they aren't Japanese or worshipping his cosplay
> plans to enter ECG because he's "a professional cosplayer" now
>>
>>10029990
in the case of bought costumes, the judges should easily be able to tell when something is mass produced, so really the judge's fault for this one
>>
>>10030221
Bought doesn't necessarily mean mass produced. You can commission a hand made costume and that's still buying one.
>>
Pretty sure Angi Viper either paid off or fucked the judges for LA Comic Con because there is no way in hell that Christmas Elsa should have won best Master. Putting lights and a smoke machine on a costume (where they don't even make much sense) does not make it a winner, especially when the competition is stiff.
>>
Did anyone find out something about the last thread where we talked about the FF summoner cosplay? I was very interested in it and researched a lot to find stuff lmao. Thread got deleted just a while ago I see
>>
Not really cheating, but morally wrong. A gal went to really small cons (1k~ attendance) just to win entry-level competitions. She herself had been cosplaying for years and her competors were like 14y/o with their first costumes. For some reason she never went to bigger ones, maybe she was afraid of losing.
>>
>>10030366
I did that once, expecting the level to be better. Man I felt bad.
>>
>>10030366
Me too, but the competition at the same con the previous year had been much stiffer. So I brought out the big guns with a big new cosplay the next year, but the con had dwindled and the competition was much less.

Interestingly, the cosplayer who had actually won the previous year tried to compete again in essentially the same cosplay. Thankfully the staff didn't allow her in the contest.
>>
Honestly this is 100% the con/judges fault, I've judged at conventions big and small and YOU CAN TELL when something is factory. If the con picked non-craftsman cosplayers, or even worse voice actors, then it's their fault for not catching it.
>>
>>10030439
Like >>10030227 and >>10029993 said, the big scandals usually involve someone trying to pass a commissioned cosplay off as their own work. The only way you can tell a cosplayer is cheating with a commissioned item is if they can't answer construction questions about how they made it, or if one part of the cosplay was obviously made by someone else. As a judge I'm sure you've seen this before.
>>
>>10029987
Oh god why are her titties halfway down her torso tho.
>>
>>10029997
Jesus. What's his cosplay name? I want to look more into this trainwreck
>>
>>10030608
Found his twitter and IG! He's a chinese guy pretending to be Japanese. Every costume he's done (which is like 4 in 4 years) was made by someone else. Never done a single cosplay himself and never washes them either.

hilariously he's tweeting thesabi/irabu still despite her being one of the people who originally called him out for his bullshit treatment of his friends.

Complete weeaboo scumbag and a cancer to the cosplay scene

https://twitter.com/koyoyodd
https://www.instagram.com/koyodidi/
>>
>>10030671
Bless you, anon. I hope he never comes to a Tales convention here in North America.
>>
>>10030693
He wouldn't. He's too much of a weeaboo he works 3 jobs just to throw money at idol games and perv on Japanese cosplayers. I think you're safe.

Seriously surprised this creeper has never been mentioned before because he's absolutely vile.
>>
>>10030705
Probably because he's not prominent in the western cosplay community
>>
>>10030717
True, he's a eurofag. Can't wait to see him enter ECG with a costume made by his aunt <3
>>
I was judging at a con a couple of months ago, a guy entered with a costume that he had bought off my friend I was attending with. They weren't friends, had bought it from eBay. But was claiming to have made it from scratch (but had just repainted it). Lied when I called him out. Ended up having to put a lot of effort into getting him disqualified because the organisers are fucking idiots and can't organise anything. Were like "oh maybe it's just a similar costume, surely someone wouldn't lie in a contest?!"
>>
>>10029990
What con was this at? I know the op pic was at ctcon but she didnt compete there. Im surprised that this happened; the judges in the NE area are very experienced and ive worked with a good chunk of them at various cons also judging, so them being fooled so easily is questionable to me.
>>
>>10030671
Wew that is one ugly muhfugga
>>
>>10031075
Another Anime Convention's hall contest last year. She tried to cheat in the 2016 masquerade too but got caught, probably because it has stricter judging.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/cgl/thread/9622725/#q9666532
>>
>>10029990
I knew her, for a while, she's one of the most manipulate people I have ever met.
>always complain about money issues, yet starts multiple gofundme accounts
>complain about her mother being abusive
>she has a band of beta orbiters, who literally will defend her, from any accusation, one even doxxed a person who she didn't like
>whenever she is accused of something, she will cry and blame "much autism did this"
I finally stopped following awhile back, when one of her followers was trying to find the location of some judge in a upcoming con, also how I found it kind of creepy that she call her bf "the boyfriend unit"
>>
File: DrbXCnvUUAArfWc.jpg (56 KB, 669x1000)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>10030352
No, but I'm curious about what happened with this too.

Cosplayer is Kyoko__Hana, she's been posting "progress" to multiple outlets because she'll be competing at Fanfest with this Summoner Artifact 3 armor from Final Fantasy XIV. It's obvious it's in the process of being commissioned because she lives in Maine while all of the progress photos involve European household objects (a bag with text in Polish, European style light switches, a cutting mat that only has millimeter increments, etc). OP of an earlier thread was trying to locate the Polish commissioner based off of https://imgur.com/a/9Nu8c6X in order to report her before the contest.
>>
>>10029997
Yeah this guy is a douche. Desperate for recognition with minimal effort.
>>
>>10030221
If I remember correctly the people who judged the contest she was in were separate from those who judged the actual masquerade contest. It's becoming a trend to have "big name" people judge who have no way to tell their ass from their elbows and use their instagram count to vouch for them when they have no actual skill or knowledge.
>>
Surprised that nobody has mentioned DokiDoki yet
>>
>>10031812
I did some more digging on the guy and found out some interesting shit from one of the judges. Considering Namco sponsors ECG this is pretty shocking.

Apparently the whole contest was rigged from the start. They were not allowed to choose any German or French contestant because those countries had won before and they wanted to "represent the whole of Europe". Except most of the entrants were actually Germans. In addition to that, they were asked to choose a male representative because of complaints about only picking girls. There were only 2 make entries and the one was German so by default, before the contest even began, he automatically won. Even though he'd lied about making his costume, lied about his visa and exploited his friends to get there. He wasn't even registered for the contest, he just forced his way as a back up when of of girls who did apply wasn't able to make it.

On top of that, after he won he went about harassing the ECG contestants backstage (because the winner gets to join the ecg contestants for the award). I was speaking to one of the solo finalists that year on Twitter about it and she mentioned him trying to get her phone number because she liked Love Live, getting extremely close to her and then shit talking her to her friends in front of her face when she rejected him. When they were up on the stage he purposely stamped on her dress and pushed her out of the way to get to the front because Raika was a judge and he wanted to impress her. She was in tears after the show and he made a snide remark on social media that she was "salty over not winning"

It doesn't end there either, he frequently shit talks even his closest friends in private and tries to big up his own ego constantly. He's a total narcissist and toxic asshole
>>
>>10031850
? spill then
>>
>>10031850
Hi kirigiri nice to see you here shit posting :)

Why don’t we talk about the fact that two major cosplayers are now banned from metro for changing the results of winners and referring to contestants as “fat” and “ugly” in their notes yet they still compete and try to save their shitty careers
>>
Doki doki literally (badly) photoshopped a reference picture because she was too lazy to paint some fucking boots with liquitex instead of putting millions of lights and other embellishments on her cosplay. She got DQ'ed. She also entered the costume in ANOTHER contest where she modified the cosplay to add more shit onto it, but still did not paint the boots to match the reference picture. She entered that cosplay into 3 contests without fixing it in the slightest. She also almost never credits her 3d print jobs, but that's besides the point.
>>
>>10032024
Seriously,
No one
Fucking
Cares
At least she made her cosplay which can be said more than most people who enter these contests. Do you even make your own Cosplay’s anon?
>>
>>10032038
yea I do, and I don't cheat when I make them, Doki Doki l o l
Just try to get better with costumes and things and try to shed good light onto your name because everyone knows that you cheated. And that's not really okay, but instead of coming on cgl and getting mad when people bring it up, maybe you shouldn't have cheated in the first place and continued to try and fix your cosplay. You could actually be doing good stuff but you continue to do mediocre work and think putting lights in it will fix it.
And obviously ppl care because your name keeps coming up on these threads. ppl should definitely be alerted to cheaters.

But have fun continuing to place well in your "master's class." :)
>>
>>10032053
As do you have fun in the masters class reina hope your not expecting on winning anything soon, and I can’t undo the past but I can better the future, as should you do and grow up and stop being such a child and shit posting on 4chan. You wanna shit post? Say it to my face don’t just awkwardly avoid me at a con
>>
>>10032090
I really want you to do better, I hope your cosplays improve heavily and you are better in the future. I don't know who Reina is because I'm not her and you have me pegged as someone else in your head, but you have potential to do really good stuff. I get disappointed watching you because I know you can do better. You shouldn't get upset at people being upset about your wrong doings, you should ignore it and try to move forward. It's a really bad look to argue with anons on 4chan. There are people out there who really want to see you succeed, and looking for negativity isn't how you do that. I hope that you slow down in your creative process and improve greatly in turn.

Best of wishes moving forward.
>>
>dokidoki
>reina
>kirigiri

All these basic bitch, common cosplay names that make it impossible to find anything on google.
>>
>>10032016
>>10032038
>>10032090
>when you expose yourself this badly
god, this is why you shouldn’t post while butthurt
>>
>>10029987
How do you tell if one competition is more prestigious than another? I’m not sure how to weigh con size against prestige of their competition, especially when it’s often hard to find pictures of a previous year’s competitors (except for maybe the winners, if the con puts up photos).

Is there a list of competitions that are considered significant if you win something vs ones that aren’t judged fairly or by knowledgeable judges? Asking seriously.
>>
>All this florida cosplay drama

Aren't you guys still hungover from Iwai? Quit vendettafagging.
Anyway, to be on topic, there was an Iron Man cosplayer who won with a commissioned suit? Dude got banned from competing at Supercon or something like that, but I don't remember the details exactly.
>>
>>10032917
I would say prestige is based on three things. 1. The Prize. If it's a big cash prize, it's more prestigious. 2. Is it an international qualifier/final? If so, it's automatically going to be more prestigious. 3. The people that usually enter. What is the quality of previous years like? High quality competitors attract each other
>>
>>10032982
Florida cosplayers crave drama. Because it's the only thing good going for them.

Shit, I think the girl's cosplay name is Airomae or some shit, I know for a fact that all of her shit is purchased. At least when I knew her. Saw her giving up on armor and shit all the time because it was too hard.
>>
>>10032982
You may be thinking of the guy who got caught competing with a commissioned Carbon Fiber Genji at Animate Florida last year, who was subsequently banned from all their shows including Supercon. It was also found that he had competed with a commissioned costume that same year at Supercon. He also owns a Diablo costume that he posted progress pictures of as if he made it, even though that was a commission too.

And he treats his commissioners like shit. Gave this one commissioner a bunch of crap becuase a Majin Buu suit was too uncomfortable or something like that, somehow ended up getting a partial refund.
>>
>>10032917

Size of the convention or the quality of the masquerade is also something to take into account. However people usually don't split hairs like this with sandbagging... entering two equally known contests even if one is technically bigger is still a dick move, especially if they are in the same area. IMO there are only a few acceptable ways to mult-enter:

>Jump from a local con (couple thousand people or less) to a regional one that people travel to (Acen, Katsucon, etc)
>Jump from a local or regional con to a circuit qualifier or a nationally known contest (NYCC, C2E2, etc)
>Don't win a "best X" prize at any con, and then re-enter at any con that allows for re-entry, other than the one you lost at

As an example of what not to do: Jedimanda is one of the more well-known sandbaggers who technically doesn't break any rules but has earned a reputation in the midwest for entering her cosplays at as many contests as she can. The fact that her cosplays are extremely well made exaserbates the problem because she usually ends up shutting out the competition which has made a lot of people bitter (aka entering her Amidala at Star Wars Celebration, Acen, and Gencon or entering Anastasia at both C2E2 which is about as top tier as you can get and Dragoncon). It's allowed and it's not cheating, but it rubs people the wrong way.
>>
>>10030514
>Oh god why are her titties halfway down her torso tho.

I feel bad for chicks who don't know about good bras. Like people don't want t get personal so no one tells them.
>>
>>10033197
Okay. I won something that was not a major award at a large con whose competition was panned as “not legitimate” here (as well as among friends of mine) due to the judges being personalities with a lot of fb likes and who are not well known for their craftsmanship.

I improved the cosplay and entered at another con in a different region that was technically smaller but allegedly has a more legitimate panel of judges. I asked the con if it was against the rules to enter something that had already won and they said it wasn’t. I was bumped up a class and given another award for it as best of that class. Neither of the awards I won were cash awards. I got a certificate for both.

I don’t plan on making a habit of doing that and feel a bit weird about it, but since everyone was saying the first contest wasn’t a real contest, I just wanted to make sure I entered it somewhere I would be judged fairly. I have a degree of imposter syndrome and it’s hard for me to believe in my skills when people say a win wasn’t based on skill.

I’m not entering this cosplay anywhere else and feel a bit like I fucked up already by entering it twice. I feel bad enough about it that I might just quietly bow out of entering competitions with anything in the future.
>>
>>10033251
If you improved on it and entered at a higher level, I'd say you did it fairly. You pushed yourself to do better and so the costume you entered technically wasn't the same one anymore. Like you said, you're not trying to make a habit of it, just be proud of yourself for improving, and now go for something even more of a challenge next time!
>>
>>10029997
>can’t wash cosplay with foam parts
Ok this is BS, just get a portable garment steamer for like $25 at Walmart, dry cleans your cosplay and removes wrinkles. Tired of people not knowing this.
>>
>>10033311
Thanks, that makes me feel better about it. I know what I did wasn’t against the rules at the competition but I don’t want to be generating bad vibes in the community, either, if I can help it. I try to choose projects based on techniques I want to learn, so hopefully in another couple of years, I’ll have left my present self in the dust, craftsmanship-wise.
>>
>>10033251
The fact that you didn't win a major award by itself makes it fine, and the fact that you improved on it makes it extra fine. If you'd gotten best master or best in show, that'd be another story unless you made some massive overhauls, but it's acceptable to re-enter something that did not win at ANY previous sized con (and desu as a judge I'd encourage re-entering if the previous con's judging was questionable). The "classic" case of sandbagging is when someone takes the same costume around to a ton of local conventions and gathers up first place at each of them, or when they break the contest rules where no previous winners are allowed. What you did is normal and none of the above, and you shouldn't feel bad about wanting to improve and enter a legitimate contest.
>>
>>10030366
Sounds very similar to a girl in my area who now sells nudes of her half baked cosplay on patreon. She parades around like some cosplay making master but her quality never seems to improve beyond spraypaint and hastily glueing fabric together. She attends any small con locally either to enter contests to beat beginners or begs staff to be a judge or guest at the cons. Most of these small cons are really marketed towards children so it’s really in bad taste to me that she promotes her lewd patreon at them. For a little while now her cosplays have started to improve at a ridiculously quick pace and now I’m sure she’s just buying them factory made and passing them off as her own craftsmanship to these small town con staff who don’t actually know anything about cosplay let alone how to thread a needle.

Been thinking of getting more serious into cosplay but I hold back because I don’t want to be judged or judged alongside her. Especially if she’s cheating now and uses con staff favoritism to win 99% of the time.
>>
File: pastebin.jpg (561 KB, 1030x1022)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
>>10031753
>>10030352

In a surprise twist, Kyoko__Hana withdrew from the contest, called herself out on cheating, and posted a genuine apology. I'm actually kind of impressed. There's always the question of if she'd done this if sleuth-anon hadn't started publicly asking questions, but this is the first time I've ever seen a (potential) cheater turn such a complete 180. Good on her.
>>
>>10035489
Nice self post
>>
>>10033324
No dude it's glued together with school glue, the same as a prit stick, any water or heat is gonna peel it off. You don't realize how bad this costume is.
>>
>>10035543
I'm one of the anons who was trying to find her commissioner.
>>
>>10033324
Uh... Dry cleaning isn’t the same as steaming clothes. Are you confused?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.