[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 41 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: ots-book-9-008.jpg (142 KB, 550x768)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>OnS Vol 1, 2, 3, 5 6, 7 scans https://mega.nz/#!9PxW1IAC!W3O1fHqCC35kMI9PDV5w21C_iPDIOZEXgGlPXcrtn-U
>GosuRori scans http://chochololita.livejournal.com/#post-chochololita-1982
What are your current planned projects? What are you working on? I'm planning mashing the raglan sleeves on this OP with no waist seam a -line JSK to get something a little MM Ekaterina inspired.
Old thread here >>9514297
>>
I'm planning on making some oldschool style pocket JSKs with these tartan fabrics (not combined ofc)
>>
>>9574468
Oh man, yes please. Post photos when you're finished. I should go looking at Joann's next time I'm there for some good tartan love.
>>
Thanks to the anon who posted the tip about watching Indian garment sewing channels. I'm just getting started with sewing and the couple of vids I've watched so far are very easy to follow.
>>
>>9574477
I will! I got these from an UK ebay shop, because the Netherlands only have your basic colors like red, a lot of variations of red and sometimes bright pink or dark blue. I really had hoped the blue would be lighter, but it was stated as aqua, so yeah.
>>
>>9574527
You should check out a stoffenmarkt/beurs near you or the lapjesmarkt if you're ever in Utrecht on a Saturday! There's lots of fabric choices available if you know where to look.
>>
>>9574468
Love those fabrics!
>>
>>9574535
thanks! I might check Utrecht then sometime, I haven't been there in a while. I normally don't go to big fabric markets as I find them really crowded, and my local one has gotten really crowded these days too.
>>
>>9574491
NP! It's a great starter. :)
>>
>>9574477
I feel like it's nigh-impossible to find decent tartan at Joanns :'(
>>
>>9575030
I was bored so I went taobao window shopping:
>https://world.taobao.com/item/550517722638.htm?fromSite=main
>https://world.taobao.com/item/527905087459.htm?fromSite=main
>https://world.taobao.com/item/523189126634.htm?fromSite=main
>https://world.taobao.com/item/545575260687.htm?fromSite=main
>>
>>9575143
Oh these ones are pretty cute
>>
>>9575348
oh but fyi these are just printed, they're not actually yarn-dyed
>>
bump
>>
File: 008.jpg (78 KB, 600x800)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>
File: 6066_640.jpg (70 KB, 480x640)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is a reasonable amount of time (i.e. how many hours) to go from basically zero to being able to sew simple skirts/dresses from patterns?
Is it worth it to find someone who offers sewing lessons, or should I just try it on my own?
My mother recently gave me her old sewing machine, and I've always wanted to learn how to make my own clothing. Not sure what the time commitment will be like though.
>>
>>9578815
depends on how much talent you have. if you can sew straight lines fairly quickly, it shouldn't be too difficult to sew basic skirts soon. dresses might take longer, because they use more difficult patterns and often include rounder lines and corners.

I think sewing a straight stitch, corners and curves are pretty much a first, very basic start so see how fast you learn.

I would only recommend sewing lessons when you get stuck.
>>
>>9578815
It really depends on who is teaching you. I've had students (as young as 6 years old) go from being terrified of the machine to being able to sew a competent, fairly complex pillowcase in about 5 hours. Give it about 15-20 hours and they can generally read a basic pattern without me. There's a lot of reinforcement required and repetition, but if you're willing to put in the time, it doesn't take too long to learn, just a lifetime to master.
>>
>>9578821
cont.

there aren't really any set hours for getting something learned, because like I said it depends on your talent.

at my sewing course they give you aprox a week or two to have lines, curves and corners mastered (taken that you don't practice full time)
>>
>>9574527
My local Jan Sikkes had weirdly coloured tartan like yellow and green the last time I checked. Maybe that is helpful.

Either way looking forward to seeing the finished JSK (at a meet?).
>>
Any good tutorials for wrist cuffs? I think all the ones I googled were made by non lolitas.
>>
>>9578815

Since it's your mother's machine, you'll have a headstart if you already know how to use it.

If you can already sew with the machine, and don't need to be rescued every time you sew, I think you can pretty much jump into a beginner's sewing pattern. Instead of a teacher, buy a good reference book (reader's digest book is pretty popular) and join an active, non-lolita sewing group (usually has better variety). Read the posts in the group, usually someone will talk about the importance of pressing or ask about bias stuff occassionally, so you can learn things by lurking. Stick with simpler non-lolita patterns first, basic shift dresses and tunic patterns are far simpler to make. Then work your way up to dresses and blouses after that.

If you have no idea what to do with the machine, find the manual (actually you should keep the manual anyway, there's usually important stuff in it), schedule a session with your mom and see how far you can go. Once you can sew accurate lines, try some tote bag/pillow cases. Then, as above, jump right into a simple beginner's pattern, buy a book, join a group. Probably take you an hour to work out how to work the machine, most tote bags can be done in a few hours. Yes, you can go from zero to simple pattern overnight.

If you're having problems with the machine even with the manual, either the machine needs servicing, or you need lessons to help you remember what to do, or maybe both. You can seriously fuck up a machine if you don’t know how to use it, so this is one you do need help with.

I guess it sounds like I’m stressing machine use. I find that most beginner patterns are actually pretty thorough. You just need to follow instructions and not be too sloppy or skip over too many steps thinking you don’t need it, and the result is usually pretty good. And where the pattern is lacking, the book and the sewing group can usually help out. So give things a try and only look for a teacher if you get stuck.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (85 KB, 729x635)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>9578901
oh look what I found with 'lolita wrist cuffs tutorial'
>http://violetlebeaux.com/2014/09/17/sew-lolita-style-wrist-cuffs/
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2OBq7edIA
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5Ifd1Aa4so
>>
Would it be too strange to make the bolero and skirt out of the same fabric to create a "suited" look? I really want to make Lolita pieces that are more everyday and I think one way to do it is to play with separates.
>>
>>9578572
This would've been super cute if they used a different print, something about the art seems really off.
>>
>>9578826
we don't have a Jan Sikkes close by. I really miss that store, loved to go there when I still lived up north.

I'll post a picture when finished! I just started cutting the pink one, and have enough lace to finish at least one. I'll have to order some black for the blue soon.
>>
File: 77.jpg (313 KB, 1275x1755)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>9578901

Here's the page fron OnS 7 scans that someone scanned earlier. Wristcuffs are on the bottom left.

And because I also found the diagrams confusing too, here's the series of steps:

1. Layer the lace in order and sew them together along the top,
2. Sew a channel and insert 18cm of elastic through it. Topstitch at one end to hold the elastic in place.
3. Flip the top layer of lace up and topstitch Lace B on top of the elastic channel.
4. Fold in half (right sides in) and sew the two ends together. (I guess you should pull the elastic tight to make sure the machine catches both ends)
5. Flip it right side out and attach bows. The ribbons are 30cm each.
>>
>>9578917
I like it when a bolero/cape is from the same material as the skirt. It gives the feeling of a set. if you can, you should
>>
File: download (11).jpg (10 KB, 193x261)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>9578917

It's not rare, actually. Here's an IW cape + jsk set, there's at least one other AP set out there somewhere. There's also some dresses that have a fake bolero + jsk look as well.
>>
>>9578815
I took a sewing class in high school and found it really nice. Plus they taught some minor handsewing things, like how to sew a button on properly (You're doing it wrong if you don't sew a shank), and just how to be comfortable with machines as a rule.
>>
>>9578911
>You just need to follow instructions and not be too sloppy or skip over too many steps thinking you don’t need it
Oh my god I'm gonna stress this so hard. You're gonna be tempted to take shortcuts or wonder about whether this is that is truly important. When you get more experienced you're going to realize the importance of those seemingly superfluous steps. Get into good habits now (pressing your seams, hemming your shit, etc.). That way when you start making more complex garments you'll be used to doing the "extra" shit (in quotes because it's not extra at all, just good and thorough technique) and you won't be tempted to rush through and produce a subpar garment.

I struggle with this a lot - I think I do have the technical skill and can use my machine properly, I just get impatient, skip steps, don't double check stuff, end up doing things wrong, have to redo, etc. etc. which costs so much time and possibly material, too. Don't be like me anon, be patient and do it properly!
>>
>>9579205
I had to rip out an entire meter of ladder stitches because some decorative lace wasn't lined up properly and I didn't bother double checking.
>>
>>9579205
>>9579087
>>9578911
>>9578824
>>9578821
Thanks to everyone who replied.
I've never really sewn before other than some simple handstitching, and I'm not familiar with the machine. I think I'll search around the internet for the manual and maybe look into some classes/instruction just to get over being intimidated by the machine.

And I'll definitely try to be patient and deliberate, as I am also the type of person to try to rush or figure out shortcuts.

Thank you for all of your advice.
>>
File: 023.jpg (281 KB, 1600x1199)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>9579255

Don't forget the book. A good sewing guide will contain a bunch of different techniques. So if you were taught how to sew a button shank in class and forgot, you can always look it up in the book.
>>
File: blue rose fabric 1.jpg (185 KB, 1328x747)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
What are you gulls working on? I just drafted the bodice for >>9574461. Probably won't get around to the skirt portion until tomorrow, but I'm excited either way! I'm using this really nice cotton I found at a crafts thrift store for $7/3.5yds!
>>
File: IMG_3536.jpg (2.92 MB, 4032x3024)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>9580763
Nice find! My machine is getting a tuneup right now, but I'm working on the plackets for a button down OP because I'm putting off doing the sleeves for as long as possible.
>>
>>9580769
Ooo, the textured fabric and that lace and the peter pan collar are such a natural match. I'm excited to the finished product!
>>
>>9579762
DA- what books would you recommend?
>>
>>9580792

Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing (or the New Complete Guide to Sewing, which is the new updated version). It's actually the only book I've ever seen other people recommend because it has almost every single proper technique under the sun in it.

If you find it hard to read (it's very dense, with a lot of diagrams instead of photos), you can try for one of the lesser books with photos instead, like The Complete Book of Sewing (DK Publishing).
>>
File: chiffon.jpg (42 KB, 540x304)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>9580763
I'm trying out chiffon for the first time, it's going to be a cape-y collar kind of like VM's Lazy Afternoon print on an OP from the other fabric. So far, so good.
(please ignore snapchat filter lol)
>>
>>9574461
How often are there mistakes in the OnS books? I'm making the headbow on the right in OP's pic and there's an error in the instructions - it's a stuffed bow but says to fold in the ends to the middle as well, when clearly from the length of the bow compared to the length of the tails it hasn't been folded in (plus on the other photo where they made the bow in dotty fabric you can see the seam on the side of the bow if you look really carefully).

>>9581136
This fabric looks gorgeous, can't wait to see what you make with it
>>
>>9582274
I've only ever made a few OnS things, I've mostly made stuff from GosuRori and haven't run into any major mistakes. I also tend not to follow the instructions, I mostly go by instinct and only double check when I'm confused.

>>9581136
You and me both. I'm ruffling a bunch of chiffon for an underskirt and I'm a little bit intimidated not gonna lie. I can't wait to see it!
>>
>>9582274
I made that bow, but I didn't look at their instructions. I haven't noticed any other mistakes so far.
>>
Would anyone here be interested in having their paper patterns converted into printable digital files? I am looking for some freelance work.
>>
>>9580792
>>9580807
I second the recommendation for the Reader's Digest book. It covers EVERYTHING.
>>
>>9582274
I received a correction sheet with one of my books, I forget which volume though.
>>
>>9583232
More specifically, I have Otome no Sewing books 1-11 and Gosu-Rori volumes 1-16 with patterns that I can convert into printable digital files for anyone that is interested in not having to do patterns by hand again!
>>
>>9584511
Yes please anon, you would be a lifesaver.
>>
>>9584511
>>9584570
Yes pleaaaaaaaase. Price per pattern? Or would you just convert the pattern sheet as is, in which case-- price per sheet? I'd kill to have complete copies of OnS 4, 9 and 10. Some of the GosuRori scans are missing the drafting pages, and it's already pissed me off a few times, but I have to double check which ones are incomplete.
>>
>>9584570
>>9584600
I made a Tumblr page for this. You can find me under digitalpatternconversions if you search on there. I have OnS scans up for reference. Will be uploading GR in the coming week once I sort out all the pics.
>>
>>9584645
Quick question-- since you own the books already, will you just scan your copies rather than having us mail you ours?

Unrelated-- how do you guys calculate how long a strip of fabric to cut for a ruffle? I reverse engineered a ruffle on a skirt and got around 165% of the original hem circumference, but I'm curious as to what you guys do.
>>
>>9587826

>ruffle

Huh, that's pretty close to the standard -- I was told ruffles should be 1.5x what you want it on when I started sewing. Personally I prefer a number closer to 2x for a really gathered look though.
>>
What fabric should I use for a sleeping mask that won't irritate my eyes or be too warm?
>>
>>9588676
I think most are made of satin? if you don't buy anything too cheap, it should be fairly soft. you can also go for silk, in small quantities it shouldn't be extremely expensive
>>
>>9587826
>Quick question-- since you own the books already, will you just scan your copies rather than having us mail you ours?

If I already have the mooks you're looking to get a digital file for, then no. Just let me know which one you want. I'll only ask for a mailed paper pattern if I don't have a copy of it already.
>>
Where can I get free machine sewing patterns? Google is giving me so much unrelated shit
>>
>>9590131
for sewing clothes or for embroidery machine patterns?
>>
How much extra fabric do you usually use for shirring panels? I'm just looking for a few cm of ease and plan to put in a zipper too, but there probably needs to be more extra fabric than that to look good. 1.5x the intended width? 2x? The fabric isn't particularly thick.
>>
>>9591085
I don't think you'd need more than 2x for sure. I just finished a JSK from OnS that was double and I don't think it used a zipper.
>>
Is there a visual list somewhere of what patterns are in each OnS? Most places I've found only go up to 4 or 5, aside from the archive we have in OP.

Or if someone knows off the top of their head, which ones have patterns most similar to VM/MM fitted/low waist cuts?
>>
File: ots4-010 (1).jpg (221 KB, 762x1024)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>9591483

There's this dress in OnS 4? It's drop-waisted, you can easily swap the skirt out for a flared skirt if you prefer.

There's a fitted A-line dress in one of the others, give me a sec.
>>
>>9591532

OnS 8, the blue jsk in upper right.

Definitely wish there was an easier way to browse all the dress patterns. The digitalpatternsconversion anon up above is the only person I know of who seems to have all the books though.
>>
>>9591085

If it's a literal few cm, as in an inch or two, I'd skip the shirring and run elastic along the top (or wherever you want it to not gape).

I've always been told 2x for shirred pieces, but I don't see why you can't do 1.5x if it looks better. Wouldn't go down much lower than that though, it seems like pointless work to do all that sewing and just end up with a panel that looks mildly wrinkly instead of properly shirred.
>>
>>9591483

I've got all the Otome no Sewing and Gosu-Rori volume scans up on my FB page now. I only have the sewing pattern scans up; no craft stuff.

fb page name: digitalpatternconversions (can't link)

Browse by photo album. They have been cataloged by their original release dates.

I am offering digital pattern files for them too!!
>>
>>9591544

If you browse via archive on my Tumblr page, it makes for easier viewing if that helps at all.
>>
>>9592008
Can I pay you just to get copies of the drafting pages? I'm sized out of OnS so I have to grade patterns anyway.
>>
>>9592013

Oohhhh thanks. I didn't realise you had the whole set of OnS up.
>>
>>9591532
>>9591544
>>9592008

Thank you! This helps a lot.
>>
>>9578815
i learned to sew by practicing a lot of techniques on doll clothes lol. i collect bjds and just knowing how to do more advanced stuff on a small scale like sleeves and darts helped me when i made my first dress. its also wayyyy cheaper and you can mostly get by with just free scraps from the fabric store and cheap finishings from daiso/ebay
>>
>>9592068
Message me.
>>
>>9594209

Kind of curious to hear what kind of advanced stuff you try out on your dolls. Do you pattern draft from scratch, what's the most advanced technique you've tried so far, and what's the most difficult thing to do?

I have BJDs and pullips that I sew for, just wanted to compare notes. I know some folks with yoSDs say they just hold the cloth to the body and kind of cut a square with armholes and that suffices.
>>
Any other knitting gulls here?

I'm looking for bolero patterns with a silhouette appropriate for lolita and I'm not having much luck. The feature I really want is a rounded edge, pic related. It's possible that I could alter pre-existing patterns but I figured I'd ask here on the off-chance somebody can give me a lead. There are a lot of beautiful lacy patterns out there but I think they are more appropriate for classic lolita, which I am not.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>9595711
i do kinda a mix of drafting from scratch and patterns. if there's something i really like the look of in a human pattern i own ill take a look at the page with all the pieces and copy the shape and just scale it to my msd, but i do buy and follow actual doll patterns a lot too. the most advanced technique is probably princess seams. i'm not at home so don't have pictures but the dress turned out really cute! i followed bjdcollectasy's 1/3rd dress pattern and scaled it down for my msd.
>>
>>9595986
I can't provide much help, I've been looking for a good pattern for a pretty lace to no avail, in both knit and crochet patterns. I am a classic though, could you link one of those patterns you said you found?
>>
>>9595986
>>9596131
You should google shetland lace, some good patterns might pop up
>>
>>9596143
This is a really pretty lace, thanks! I didn't know the word for that kind of lace!
>>
File: 42-1_medium.jpg (66 KB, 323x500)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>9595986

I'll post a few I found on ravelry that you might be able to use.

this one is from http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/109-42-bolero-with-lace-border
>>
>>9596250

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacy-jacket

This is odd, it looks short in some photos and hip-length in others. Maybe need to shorten it.
>>
File: img56330395_medium.jpg (72 KB, 300x500)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>9596252

Last one

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/28-2-urara-bolero

there might be more on ravelry. I found these after filtering for free patterns and difficulty levels.
>>
File: 1_medium.jpg (108 KB, 300x500)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>9595986
Different anon, I found this one hiding in the depths of my ravelry library
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/27-28-1-bolero
>>
I got an old sweet AP jsk with full bodice. When comparing it with newer dresses, specially strap-style (straps around the shoulders), it is evident that the chest area in the old dress is too high. That gives a bad fit in me.
So I thought, why not modify the bodice into a strap style dress?
I haven't found tutorials for that kind of mod (only for fit adjustments).
Do you gulls know if this mod is doable with low to decent ability? I really like this dress and the only reason I don't wear it is the odd fit
>>
>>9574468
sorry for the blur, anons.
>>
>>9596318
You should rethink the pockets, now they look like badly done: they're not straight and it makes the pattern clash. If you want to keep them like that, at least cut the pocket fabric sideways so it won't look like a mistake.
>>
Another knitting gull here, looking for some casual otome style cardigans?
Crochet is ok too.
>>
>>9596311

What does the back of the dress look like? If it has detachable shoulder straps with buttons, some girls just wear the shoulder straps as a halter.

If it's one of those sewn with round armholes, no, it's not going to be an easy mod. Take it to a professional seamstress in your area and see what they suggest, or sell it off.
>>
>>9596253
>that rounded edge and lace trim
it's perfect, thanks anon!

>>9596131
Here are some of the cutest bolero patterns I've found so far:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elspeth
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/openwork-bolero
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/214s-03-short-bolero

Also these aren't lacy but I think they would work as excellent base patterns--sleeves or body could be lengthened, change the stitch pattern, add lace, etc etc
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sweet-little-nothing
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/113-12-bolero-with-crochet-borders
>>
>>9595986
Don't have a link handy right now, but take a look at Miette by Andi Satterlund on Ravelry.
>>
File: V1094_02.jpg (51 KB, 514x707)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I just bought Vogue's V1094 pattern (pic related) thinking I'd modify it by cutting the top off and adding shoulder straps to make a simple low-waisted jsk.

But now I'm thinking maybe I can work that open neckline into my design, I think it looks very similar to VM's Chiffon Fairy Doll OP. I could ditch the collar embellishment and add a bit of ruffle and lace instead, then wear it over a high-necked chiffon blouse. It's not going to look exactly like burando, but then I'm not setting out to copy it anyway, just taking some inspiration.

Thoughts? Yes, doable, or do you think this neckline simply won't work for lolita?
>>
>>9597369

VM's Chiffon Fairy Doll OP for reference
>>
>>9597369
It's a bit wide imo, you're going to look like you tried too hard to make a normie rockabilly dress lolita. Chiffon Fairy doll works because of the layers of chiffon ruffles on the skirt + still having shoulder coverage.
>>
>>9600734

Ah, the neckline? I see it now that you mention it.

Think I'll try a mockup and see if I can modify to look more like the VM dress. Otherwise I'll just stick to my original plan of making low-waisted jsk.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.