[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: fewfrw42.jpg (90 KB, 472x638)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Last thread saged >>9572858
>>
>>9655380
.. didn't sage, it's just old, but I'll roll
>>
File: ladysloth.jpg (26 KB, 329x498)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>9655380
Got this one on the way, first dark coord.
I'm stuck on if I should wear black tights with a red accent in the design, or stick to all dark colors.

also, I know flower crowns are over done but I wanna do it so bad..
>>
Got this jsk with the headbow. I have a black cotton blouse, pink ap cardigan, and some pink tea party-ish shoes. Open to suggestions for legwear/bags/hats/accessories
>>
>>9655386
black tights with color accents are a good idea. i would say a headpiece with a flower or two, but a flower crown for this dress..
maybe a small bonnet with some flowers.
>>
>>9655805
Is your blouse all black? It might look a bit off with this. I'd suggest white, pink, sax, or black with a white collar instead. Even yellow would be cute, though a bit more difficult to find.
>>
>>9655386
I would actually play with the bronze colouring rather than red. The red only seems like a really tiny part of the print, and it looks more orange to me? I don't think a lot of reds would match it all that well.

>>9655805
I think the design of the dress is really busy, especially in black, so I would honestly just go for plain black tights to balance it out a little bit.

I really like this dress, but I've only worn cupcake before and generally really don't like a-line so I don't want to buy a petti just for this. Do you think it would look alright with a cupcake? (Not poof monster, just regular cupcake.) Thanks guys!
>>
This is kind of a general question rather than a specific coord question, but what are anyone's thoughts on underskirts as a way to stretch your wardrobe? I only have about 15 main pieces at the moment, but a chiffon underskirt could go with about half of my pieces to give me a new look. Should I get one or save my money for more main pieces?
>>
>>9656377
I like using underskirts for that, it's basically the only reason I keep skirts in my wardrobe at all because I generally prefer dresses. If it works with many of your pieces you should go for it.
>>
>>9655934
thanks! good ideas, glad I wasn't too far off taste wise
>>
>>9656292
I feel like it might hang a bit off the ends if a bell shaped petti is used, since cupcake has a down turn on the sides and this dress looks like it's slightly on the longer side.
If you already have the measurement and it fits with the petti you've got, I'd say go for it.

But also, maybe you haven't tried the right A-line for you to like? Melikestea might have some decent inbetweens
>>
>>9656377
underskirts can look sloppy if not done well, so as long as it fits and gives it a new dynamic, I think underskirts are nice.
>>
>>9655805
This design is really all over the place so I think you should stick to solid colors for the blouse, bag, tights and shoes.
>>
>>9655938
I mean the blouse is more for modesty; I'm pairing it with a pink cardigan and I do want some pastel/white blouses eventually but I'm transitioning from gothic to sweet right now so my wardrobe is lacking.

>>9656292
What about just some black lacy ankle socks?
>>
>>9656401
That's definitely in the back of my mind. I know that matching materials is important (ie a chiffon underskirt an old school cotton dress probably wouldn't look good) but do you think there's anything else that routine keeps underskirts from succeeding?
>>
>>9656413
honestly it might just have to do with styles, like I've definitely noticed that the ones that end up looking the best with an underskirt are elegant/hime styled coords.

I think it looks kinda silly with sweet looks
>>
Trying to make an Angel's Secret Winery coord. I have a ton of vintage gold-tone jewelry with wine and grapevine motifs, and my blouse is a silky ivory damask with the shape of pic related.
Hair-accesory wise, should I wear a hat, a braided hairstyle with the detachable grape pin/barette, or something else?
>>
>>9656726
>>9656726
. . . dropped the image. Damn.
>>
>>9656413
Like >>9656465 said it depends on the style, but it can depend on other things too like built in pettis or full lining that might give the skirt portion of your dress an odd look when paired with an underskirt. And of course materials matter too, chiffon might clash when paired with things like tulle or torchon lace etc.
I don't agree about underskirts not matching sweet, it highly depends on the underskirt you're using, how you wear it and what you coord it with; it's hard to lay down concrete guidelines for this sort of thing because it depends on a lot of factors and fashion isn't an exact science, more than anything it depends on aesthetic - That is to say, if it looks bad, you shouldn't wear it.
>>
>>9655386

If you're doing black legwear, stick to either sheer/lace stuff, or do one of those printed tights that will go grey when you actually wear it.

The dress print already looks grey in your pic, you can see it most obviously in the contrast between the waist tie and the rest of the print, but the ruffles and the collar are also noticeably blacker than the rest of the dress. If you keep adding opaque black stuff, the grey print is going to look out of place. So go for stuff that doesn't look true black, like lace or sheer tights that show your skin colour through them, or digitally printed tights that are done on white base and go grey when you pull them on. You could probably still do black shoes and purse once you take care of the legwear.

I think flower head accessories never really go out of style, flower crowns included. Just make sure it's a nice decent accessory and not a bunch of oversized flowers that add five inches to your height and overpower the rest of you.
>>
>>9656413

It isn't necessarily about matching the materials 100%. One of Metamorphose's Antique Bouquet re-releases features chiffon ruffles on the bottom of an old-school style cotton gobelin print (the result isn't necessarily old school, speaking volumes about the fallacies of making sweeping statements about how underskirts will or won't work with particular substyles -- if you can coord an old school dress to look modern, a chiffon underskirt can still work. Even sweet dresses can still work with an underskirt.)

The only thing that seems near-universal to me is whether the skirt merges with the dress or whether it looks like its own seperate entity. The ones where you can tell it's a seperate underskirt tends to look bad, I guess because most people immediately start thinking about hobo bag lady associations, the most common reason to layer everything you own together in one coord is when you're homeless and crazy (and lolita already tends towards a heavily layered look). The dresses where the underskirts look like an extra layer of ruffles on the skirt tends to look much better, maybe because it looks less sloppy when you're coordinated enough that your layering looks like one single dress.
>>
>>9656398
Thanks, I’ll take a look. Will it look overstuffed if I put the A-line over the cupcake? I really love full dresses.

>>9656407
I honestly think that would be really cute especially with the cardigan anon! What kind of wig were you planning to use with it? And I think definitely use lots of pinks and whites in accessorries, especially because your headbow is black too. I’m honestly excited to see your coord.

Also I completely forgot to ask the first time but also for >>9656292 I have no idea what I should be doing for blouses or tights. I’m usually gothic so this is totally new to me. I feel like wine red would look too off, but it would be impossible to match the green, and I shouldn’t want to shoehorn in another colour and seem awkward.
>>
>>9656292
>>9656773

nayrt, I think you're better off looking into classic substyle for ideas. It's just easier to find similar palettes in classic.

So, I'd go for an ivory blouse and tights, brown bag and brown shoes. I think there's some white on the print, which would allow you to add white tights if you prefer. Try to go for lace tights or something textured to add a little interest and look less boring. A small wine hairclip with some mushroom-themed accessories will complete the look.

Or, if it's pretty cold where you are (it's still hot here), you could go for a brown cardia or long-sleeved bolero, and a white dickey or blouse. Then white or ivory tights, maybe wine-coloured shoes and bag. A brown beret with mushroom accessories would look cute and be warm.
>>
>>9656751
the dress definitely has some off-black/gray qualities I didn't notice before, thanks anon
>>
File: 0052-257x300.jpg (38 KB, 257x300)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
I need to find some headwear and tights/socks for Pup in a Cup in black. Lend me a hand please?
>>
>>9655386
I would argue that sticking with dark colored accessories might also be nice; I’d personally pair tights like pic related.

Since the red is already in the bottom area, if you want an accent I would say go upwards, perhaps a half-crown of flowers in back of your hair?
>>
>>9656773
Thanks anon. So far I have pink shoes and some white/pink wristcuffs but maybe I'll add some pearls for a pop of white.
>>
File: swan.jpg (68 KB, 700x700)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
This dress is impossible! I don't even know why I bought it! Help please?
>>
>>9657459
>impossible
>pink and white are on the print
>basic themes like flowers, crowns, castles and ribbons are present
>nothing particularly odd about the cut of the dress that would make finding a collar style difficult

I'm pretty sure you're just new
>>
File: pup in a cup.png (304 KB, 876x376)
304 KB
304 KB PNG
>>9657274
That's a very simple OP to coord, pic related is only a small suggestion of a wide range of things you can pick for it.
The socks feature another BTSSB character but it's similar enough to the puppy to match, and judging by the pic, the colors should match as well. The headbow features strawberry lace to match the theme but any black headbow would work just as well, as would a bow in white or a headdress in white/pink. Black shoes would work easily but dark pink ones could be good too.
If you think this through I'm sure you can come up with many more coord ideas too.
>>
>>9657466
Colours are pretty off for me to work with, I've already failed at a pink blouse. I'm not new, I'm just lost on this dress
>>
>>9657459
>>9657507
It's hard to coordinate because the dress is ugly.
>>
>>9657507
It's really not hard, maybe you're just retarded?
>>
>>9657515
I guess so then
>>
I basically have everything in this pic sans black bow tie but I was wondering how to make a non-tacky ravenclaw inspired coord with stuff I could get that would be here in time for Halloween.
Thank you!
>>
I'm pretty new still but I have this dress and I'm not 100% on how to coord it. I feel like a flower crown is a given, but I'm not sure if that's all I can do with it. I haven't really seen anybody wearing it, either. Am I just overthinking it and it's more versatile than what I imagine?
>>
>>9657459

I think someone has mentioned the pink is hard to match because it's not the normal pastel pink lolita brands normally put out. Every coord in that colourway that I've seen uses a white blouse. Maybe go with that, white legwear and then match your bag to your shoes and repeat the colour once on your head (ie- a hairclip or something). You could probabl do black or brown shoes/bag/hairclip. I want to suggest gold too, but I'm not sure if it'll clash with the print. For hair, if you don't have the matching headpiece, I'd recommend a floral hairpiece, preferably one that has some matching wine in it (you can detach one of the waist ties when you go shopping so that you can match them irl). Even if you can't find a close match, a group of close-ish wine-coloured flowers with some other white/yellow smaller flowers, glued onto a headband should work fine.

If you want more options than just white blouses (which is actually quite plentiful, you can change up the tone of the outfit by changing from short sleeves to long sleeves, princess sleeves, high neckline to wide neckline, etc etc), I'd suggest taking it straight to a tailors and getting them to make a blouse in the exact pink or wine that matches it.
>>
>>9657556

Same way as you'd get a t-shirt outfit to look HP instantly, throw the wizard cloak and appropriate house scarf over it, maybe add a hotglue DIY wand or an eagle necklace in bronze if you want. It's nothing genius, but since HP is probably in most costume shops right now you can easily get it together by Halloween fast enough without biting your nails waiting for shipping.
>>
>>9657561

Overthinking. The blue doesn't seem hard to match, you'd be able to throw on any polyester blue bow, headdress, veil, etc etc. So long as the colours aren't too far off from the dress (and the dress has multiple blues, so that's a lot of leeway to matching), it should be fine. Try to avoid old school style headbows though, the style and the more solid cotton twill weave could look odd on this newer style dress.

I think the official pics for the other jsk doesn't use a flower crown either, it's a veil matched to the blouse.
>>
>>9657515
why don't you tell them what to coordinate with then
unless you're also retarded
>>
File: ~Chateau~_collage_1.jpg (132 KB, 897x600)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>9656727
>>9656726
Like I said, I'm completely lost for hair accessories.
>>
>>9657514
bingo
>>
>>9657901
God I love those shoes.
I'd dial it down on the gold accessories, comes off as a little gaudy, the necklace is fine though.
As for a hair accessory, I think maybe some small wine colored roses with pearl links to the side? The ivory/white of the pearls would bring together the lighter colors in the dress

Or hell, if you really wanna keep with the gold theme, maybe even a gold leaf barrette, the leaves would fit with the winery theme
>>
Thinking of purchasing this dress from Boz, but I'm blanking on blouses it would look good with so I could vary it up. I'll probably have it with a corset 99% of the time as I hate high waist. I can see an off the shoulders blouse looking great with it, maybe a square neck with hime sleeves and it would be a good warm day gothic dress with a jacket on top and blouseless (and that's how Boz coorded it). But...with how awkwardly high the top part is I can't think of a more traditional collar blouse would look alright. I'm probably just not thinking outside the box enough.
>>
>>9658347
High collar blouses.
>>
>>9658347
moment i saw this i thought of an over the shoulder blouse, I think it's a safe bet

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.