[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL


Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 87 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]


Meta on /qa/ only.
All meta discussion of boards is to be redirected to /qa/.


File: AA-WINTER.jpg (84 KB, 500x500)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Last thread: >>9701125

>Please read the FAQ (always updating)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PpDyjw2LDxbupdvHMNsBUOBVB66Lzwf44RM1You1GDA/edit?usp=sharing
>Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit?usp=sharing
>Taobao/Alibaba services (broken link)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zGSegr0b-429wZq5_xdMbE9hpLcXg8fqqe0OxnU2Yo/edit#gid=0
>Artist Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ESQ-1h4IRUivbGNaxJFxXyDU1lSv26xTmMdH0sDX7sU/edit?usp=sharing
>How to order from Vograce (now with video on how to set up files)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18UxKnpgrmeb82NnW5e4YIEX-eZ3zHt178Mp6i0A5gME/edit?usp=sharing
>Convention List (WIP)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13o7hD5xS3sDqVptnTVGUlRae3ovEE-vPPST_QOrQwtM/
>IP taketowns (based on artists contribution, may or may not have been a one time thing, use as a guideline)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1696MDhNPhrZ0ySZhXkoJnGxb7l1OjW4JsVhu1wKvaWE

We have a discord channel!
Email graveweaverelf@gmail.com with a link to an art site with images of your merch or a picture of your booth for verification to make sure you do cons. (non jury)


Signup horrors and more!
>>
>>9715449
How would they be playing favorites since you don't give a portfolio on sign up?? Unless they are going just by the names and friends of friends of friends based on who knows who in charge...
>>
>>9715733

If you don't think con admin will look up their friends and make sure they get in despite their work being inferior to others who applied then you live in a fantasy world that I wish I also lived in. It's very obvious that many cons do this.
>>
>>9715859
NYART but as mentioned in the previous thread - people are going by email timestamps vs app timestamps. Application timestamps aren't actually available and email timestamps might not match up exactly depending on what email provider they were using etc... it's entirely possible someone who has a later email timestamp than you got their app in first. Especially when it comes down to seconds for the email timestamps.
>>
>>9715896
I heard a rumor going around that since a lot of people submitted the app without putting their accurate birthdate they were penalized by 10 seconds or something
>>
to anon who encouraged me to actually send an email about an art trade, thank you. i just did it.
>>
How to you mail your stickers? Mailing them in evelopes makes me nervous so i put them in bubble mailers. It feels like a waste sometimes though.
>>
>>9716061
Make small cardboard pockets with leftover packaging like cereal boxes or heavy cardstock paper, and then stick it in the envelope.
>>
>>9715996
Wat. How would someone even get their bday wrong and how would the app know they were lying? Unless you meant like they forgot to change the year to something that makes sense?
>>
>>9715996
You know how time consuming that would be... I doubt they did that with 800+ apps... Unless that's why it took them fuck long to send out acceptance emails... I'm kind of wishing since my time stamp was minute 4 and I put my right birthday ...
>>
File: wipwip.png (726 KB, 1276x1700)
726 KB
726 KB PNG
I'm not sure if I should try to render the rest of the horse like the bottom thigh or try to keep it more simple? I always feel like when I try anything that isn't strictly cell shading I wind up over complicating it and muddying everything. And instead of simplifying things it just looks, bad.
Also thank you anons from previous thread for the input.
>>
>>9715996
>>9716165
>>9716221
There was no penalization on that, more like people wasted time going back and correcting their birthday.

I got my confirmation email at about 2:30 and didn't get accepted, but people on AANI reported to have confirmations at 2:35+ and got in. I'm thinking it has to do with the table size selection.
>>
>>9716165
People had birthdays glitch out because they clicked the field and popped up the calender instead of just straight typing the numbers. some people said their calendars didn't allow them to adjust the date and others said it took too long to scroll to the right month or year so they put a fake one and would fix it later.
>>
>>9716262
Are you going to keep your lineart black? If you are, rendering too much might look odd.
>>
File: napoleanon.png (170 KB, 548x410)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>9716262
I'm really sorry if you weren't looking for anatomy concrit, but I mean this in good spirits. I really feel like you could adjust the face slightly. It kind of feels like everything below the nose is slanting to the viewer's left? And the way the hat is sitting on her head doesn't really make sense for her skull, and needs to be enlarged just a bit. Honestly I didn't even see her eye pupils until I zoomed in while editing. I know a lot of this is just 'style', so if I'm overstepping bounds that's fine.
>>
>>9716262
>>9716317
I actually don't mind the face as much but the character's arms/legs bother me a bit. Like the top half of the leg is so long compared to the calf that it legitimately bothers me while I think the face is fine as it is because it's a style choice.

Also OP, if you're reading this, consider joining the /cgl/ AA discord. We have a wip/crit section and lots of friendly artist seagulls. I know constantly asking for repeat advice on the same piece tends to be discouraged in the AA threads because it can clog the thread.
>>
>>9716322
Yeah, there's a lot of glaring anatomy issues going on. I was just hoping to see their reaction to some concrit before pointing out a few more obvious ones just in case they didn't want to hear it.

Other anon is right though, AA discord would probably be a better place for crit. Either way, good luck!
>>
File: wipsps.png (791 KB, 1276x1700)
791 KB
791 KB PNG
>>9716300
probably going to soften some areas, i realized it looks really weird too
>>9716317
>>9716322
>>9716335
PLEASE CRIT ME. I don't take offense to anything. I appreciate it SO much and I apologize for clogging the thread with my shit. I just didn't know if I could join discord because I've never done AA (i would like to) and this is one of the few real fan arts I've done, the rest are just doodles. But if the person running from the discord would let me in, I'd be really grateful.

Your redraw is really lovely, I fixed the left eye because I noticed it was too stretched, and I tried to center things without copying your style. And yeah, I have a really hard time drawing hats. It took me 20 min just to get it looking somewhat okay. I'll practice them more.
>>9716322
Tried fixing the leg a bit, I can tell the limbs are a bit weird but not really sure how to get them looking better. Again, apology for clogging the thread, just didn't know if I could join the crit server since I've never had a table. Won't post any other of this piece here after this!
>>
Does anyone know when sakuracon will announce lotto results? I couldn’t find any infirmation in their faq.
>>
File: New Canvas.jpg (157 KB, 821x1376)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>9716338
I'm not the best with anatomy either so please take my edit with a grain of salt! I made her head a little smaller and lengthened her limbs overall to give her proportions some more balance. I look forward to seeing your finished piece!
>>
I always hear people making record sales at ax but is it possible to do bad? Can you have mediocre art and still do well?
>>
File: let's have a bonaPARTY.png (688 KB, 1304x1667)
688 KB
688 KB PNG
>>9716338
aight anon, i'll take a whap at it

the first thing i notice with this, is that you are a lot better at drawing anime qts than realistic horses. which is ok, i know i am.

the original picture is made out of its diagonals (arm/gesture, horse gesture, scenery) all slicing left, while the clouds counterbalance it cutting right. so i think you should have a bg sketched in even in this stage.
the diagonals on the horsie hindlegs are a lot deeper on the original, it makes the image more lively.


the hand clenched around the reins is a big part of the original painting, i'd tweak yours to have a bigger hand etc. also the raised arm has a bit of a loose curve to it(although that's just a matter of taste if you want to keep yours straight) and it doesn't overlap with the horse, the silhouette is relatively clear against the cape

but especially, i notice this most with the horse's forelegs: your shape design sense could use some work. i get the impression you just copied the horse without looking much at it or knowing much about horse anatomy. when, if you look at the space around it, you'll see it's just straight lines and curves strung together.

i know little about horse anatomy, but i think there's like a billion tutorials on tumblr etc. this one's good
https://majnouna.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-the-Horse-17767844
>>
>>9716165
being born on 2017 is a teller perhaps
>>
>>9716538
Thanks anon! I see he definitely looks more substantial now

>>9716715
Thank you so much, I will try to tweak the stuff you mentioned!
I know when I was sketching I wasn't really caring that much about the horse but I guess I should have considering it basically takes up more space than the figure.
>>
>>9716338
Pose on a chair like this and photo up some reference to fix that pose.
>>
>>9716297
As someone who took the time to put in my birthdate and got in; I think everyone else should get a penalty for glazing over that shit
>>
File: 1503248709145.jpg (31 KB, 256x275)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I hate how convoluted Anime Norths AA is. I have no idea which area I should be applying for when they go up (Feb).

I think I belong in the Crafters Corner...? Can someone let me know if that sounds right. I might also reach out to them but Ive heard their management is kind of not great, so I'm not sure how far that will actually get me

I mainly sell 3D work such as handcrafted jewelry and manufactured goods like enamel pins
>>
>>9717064
You want crafter's corner. Comic market only allows paper merch and requires you to submit a vetted merch list stating what you sell and what it's made of. If you sell in CC, however, you cannot sell paper good if I recall correctly.
>>
>>9716700
Being bad at AX is even worse than being bad at a normal convention.

At AX you are competing with literally the best of the best. Everyone comes from everywhere to have a booth there- So a bad, or even decent, artist will look even worse among everyone else.

I have a print-only friend whose art I would rank as pretty decent sell at AX and she sold like 2 prints. But I also have a friend with mediocre art do okay because her art is on things like keychains and pencil pouches. If a not-so-good artist has variety, they'll probably do okay.
>>
Maybe this is just art school credentials/pretentiousness, but I've been studying and working on Mokuhanga wood block prints for a while now and I've gotten a fair bit of interest in them.
Do you think there would be market for something like this at an artist alley or are is the crowd to cheap and casual? They're cool, but time intensive to carve (even with laser engraving and a dremel tool to deepen and refine details) and printed on really nice kozu paper with my own water-based inks.
>>
>>9717257
It's such a detailed, professional-looking thing that I think you could fit into the middle-higher-end niche in AA. You might not sell as well as FOTM people, but you can easily justify pricing yourself at a higher amount per print.
>>
>>9717257
there is a limited market but I don't think they would buy said example. skill just isn't there to justify a large demand for the higher price of block prints
maybe one or two but feel free to prove me wrong.
>>
>>9717257
I am siding with >>9717341 there. If that's your work, please work on improving faces. If I put my fingers over the faces, this is 10/10 something I would buy. The faces ruin everything else.

At least from my experience, every con, there are one or two people who go above and beyond and bring something REALLY cool. Everything at their tables is expensive, but it's justified. Wood block prints would fall into that, but not at your current skill level.
>>
>>9717257
It would most likely sell to the older crowd who prefer less outwardly nerdy things. Unfortunately wall space is pretty limited for most people, so unless you have other non-print products too you might not do well
>>
>>9717352
That's what I was thinking too. A block print is a block print -- if anon could print onto tote bags it'd be cheesy but a good extra product.
>>
>>9717196
Idk, I have a pretty decent print only friend that didn’t even completely fill their table. They ended up at least making 3k, I’m still surprised. I think it has a lot to do with the series and colors for the prints.

That said, definitely agree to expand to keychains, buttons, etc. because limiting your table to just prints will make it harder to compete.
>>
>>9717357
This is a really cool idea! Thanks!

>>9717351
>>9717341
So this is a matter of my artistic skill more than just printing technique? I'll keep working at improving!
I'll experiment and bring a copy or two of this to my next con (It is 19x26 so bigger than most) as well as a smaller piece that I can experiment with printing on other media.
I'm grateful for your input seagulls
>>
>>9716537
Wondering this too, maybe email them?
>>
So, how tacky would it be to combine regular black grid cubes and the transparent ones? E.g., the transparent ones one top displaying the prints, the black ones on the bottom as the support/displaying the charms
>>
Thinking of sharing a table with a friend at fanime. Does anyone know if we have space for 4 items each person, or can we only have 4 total?
>>
>>9717430
iirc it’s 4 total. that’s what I normally do if I apply with a table mate
>>
>>9717425
it's a little hard to judge. It depends on the coverage of your merch over the grids/transparent panels. You could also cover your grids with fabric or board if you were worried about it looking inconsistent.
>>
>>9717042
I took the time to put my birth date correctly as well and didn't get in. I remember the AA head on the AB forums saying whether you put it in right or wrong wouldn't affect your acceptance.
>>
Does anyone else get burned out by the lack of social life? I feel so lonely.

All my time is spent around cons and AAs and prepping for the next con and travel for all these things. I know this is a business but it feels like because of my schedule all my friends drifted away and dont understand me anymore. I cant even cut any of the cons I go to either because I need that income.

Is it possible to make friends in the AA? It always feels like people judge me just as competition and not as a real person when I try to make friends with them.
>>
>>9718039
I completely feel you. Its extremely hard to make friends while doing AA. It took me a year and a half to make any new local friends. I try talking to other artists but the only ones I have become friends with are people who just do AA for fun and only do it once or twice a year.

I got a pet bunny just so i'd have someone to verbally talk to.
>>
>>9718039
Right now, all of my close friends are AA artists i've met in the past 5-7 years. I personally don't treat them like competition. We as a group help each other with advice and crit. Granted, there are definitely more crazies like Lynne to watch out for when you're making friends in the AA...
>>
>>9718064
M&A?
>>
>>9718039
Try making convention/artist friends to help. I definitely understand how hard it is to plan outings when you have cons - I did around 20 cons this year and last year and it was really hard to even schedule time to see anyone between travel and constant merch production.

I'm in the same boat as >>9718065 in that I've made close artist friends. They live near me too so we get together to take product photos and even plan our travel together so we fly out of the same airport when we do out of state cons. We share sources with each other and give each other new feedback on merch. It's been such a positive experience for me. I do agree that you do have to watch out for certain people because I've been burned by people trying to friend me only to get my sources. It can be a little harder to make genuine friendships in AA because there's always so much rampant drama and there are people who are only looking to use you but it's worth it if you are a little discerning about who you extend your friendship to.

Also, >>9718065 - I'm curious. What's the deal with this Lynne person? I think this is the second time I've seen her brought up in these threads.
>>
>>9717482
Ooh thanks. I forgot about covering with fabric...most of my stuff should cover the bottom grids, though, I think!


Also, sorry for the noobish-question, but anyone have recommendations about what length table clamp to get for PVC pipes? I'm assuming longer protruding bar means more stability, but is 6" long enough?
Basically just looking into alternatives to expand from my current metal grid setup (without getting more grids because they're heavy af, but keeping them to display charms etc.).
>>
>>9718039
It's definitely possible. I try and befriend other solo-table goers, if we get along I ask if they'd want to try tabling next to each other next con and go from there. Otherwise bonding over shared fandoms etc.
Do you have a twitter? I found it 200% easier to make and maintain artist friendships after getting a social twitter.
>>
>>9718039
borderline hermit, i feel this.
>>
>>9718039
I had a little struggle with making friends in the beginning, I think I went two years (of very casual conventioning) before I made a close con friend.

This can be halfway a crapshoot but the best way I ended up getting to know people was by hosting hotels. I'd book the room and ask people I had tabled next to before if they wanted to share with me. This way you are approaching them in a way that they know will be mutually beneficial.
Of course I met some people I'd rather not ever hotel with again, but I also was able to get close to some of my best friends in this way.
>>
>>9718117
I did this once and it was so awful. I shared a hotel room with another artist I saw a lot and our personalities were complete opposites. It was just awkward the whole time. Even worse is that I made way more money than she did so it was kinda embarrassing for her.
>>
What's a good size canvas for working on stuff for charms/stickers?
I'm guessing the 2x rule applies, so at least ~4"x4" if the charms are around 2"?
>>
>>9718069
On top of being a homophobe, she was recently banned from AANI for defending a child predator. It weirded everyone out. She took to twitter to cry about her being the victim.

>Past history included getting kicked out and banned from Supercon for yelling at another AA artist who had their kids nearby, then telling staff a load of racist shit about the mother and her kids.
>>
>>9718147
300 dpi at whatever the final size you want it to be.

>>9718152
Yikes. Anyone have caps? This sounds hilarious.
>>
>>9718039
I tried once. It was great, or appeared to be for 3 months.
Befriend another aa'er in my state and did several cons together.
Her art was really good too, so it still surprises me she did what she did.

I felt like I was coming up short with cash compared to what I was selling. I wrote down everything. I caught my ex artist friend pocketing the money from any sales I'd make when I'd take a bathroom brake.

I found it weird I'd never make any sales while on the potty, but oc it was a lie.

Any other stories like this? I know people befriending you for sources happens, but stealing money from you when you do well anyway at cons is a whole other level!
>>
>>9718202
Well shit. That's terrible. Sorry that happened to you, anon.
>>
>>9718202

That sucks, anon. I hope you've made much better friends.

On another note, do you mind me asking how you handled it/how she responded when you caught her? I'd have bitch slapped that hoe into outer space and shamed her on social media, but other people are probably more civil than I am.
>>
>>9718202
Same thing happened to me, anon...except was someone from my town and I still see her regularly. It was a mess. Only my SO is allowed to touch the money now.
>>
>>9718168
I don't have caps of the Supercon incident. Wish I had saved it.
>>
>>9718202
Holy shit, anon. This really sucks I'm so sorry.

This isn't as bad as what happened to you but I have a similar story about someone stealing money. I had a friend who used to help me and other artists out at a couple of cons. She saw how much money I was making and decided she could do what I was doing easy.

She decided to split a table with a mutual friend and we all requested to be placed next to each other. Mutual friend ended up paying for the table up front and she promised she would pay him back. She also decided that she needed to do last minute stickers and asked another friend to pick up some sticker paper and print all her designs out for her. In exchange, she would let Friend #2 display their stickers on her half of the table too and pay them for the sticker paper after the con.

Except, nobody fucking wanted her shit - even when she priced her commissions down to $1. The entire con she was seething that she wasn't making money while I and our friends were bringing in steady cash. She tried to get us to pay for her parking and food because it wasn't "fair" that we carpooled together.

She never paid anyone back for anything.

In fact she ended up keeping ALL profits from that second friend's sticker sales. So that friend wasted money and ink on getting this girl's stickers printed and ALSO had their own sticker profits stolen. She told the first friend she wouldn't "break even" if she had to pay him back for her half of the table. This was after she had already guilt-tripped him into buying her coffee.

Needless to say none of us are friends with her anymore and I don't think she's done a single artist alley table since then.
>>
>>9718220
>>
>>9718210
I decided I would do one more con with he, a big one. I faked feeling sick, so I had to take a lot of "bathroom breaks".

Each time I would record her/my table on the phone. During real bathroom breaks, I'd have a real friend hang out at the table looking for me.

Every time I got back, I asked her if anything sold. She'd tell me no of course.

After the con was over, I gave her a chance to come clean, asking her if there was anything she wanted to confess with me. She acted confused and said no.

I took out my phone then and showed her all the videos of people buying stuff from my table when I was gone and her taking the money. I made her give me the money for each item that was sold and caught on tape.

I made a deal that I wouldn't shame her on social media if she admitted to stealing from me for 3 months and payed me back the damages.
Well I'm not saying her name, so you can see what option she picked.
>>
>>9718202
>Any other stories like this?
My very first AA when I was, like, 15, me and a friend did AA together taking turns running the table. While it was her turn, she left and left a complete stranger that she didn't even know the name of to run the table for like an hour. That person stole over $100 from us.
I stopped trusting her after that.
>>
File: Suguru_Shadow.png (64 KB, 250x221)
64 KB
64 KB PNG
>Fanime AA opens up
>price hike the table to 200 (TWO HUNDRED) dollarydoos.
>>
>>9718039
Almost if all my new friends since i graduated college has been from cons, like >>9718065 and >>9718069 I have a group i plan flights and hotel with. a couple of us are going to holiday matsuri to hang out at disney world and universal after, same with going to kawaiikon to go snorkelling and beach chilling. If you like to eat, you're gonna be in good company. I've met a couple friends even who AREN'T artists through AA, just via them speaking to me on twitter and catching up with me at cons and finding out we share things in common etc. Although it was not the intention they end up helping me look after my table or bringing me food when all my artist friends are busy with their own tales. I really appreciate everyone.

You really have to look out for the types of people you sometimes see in this thread, those that speak of people as only valuable as resources. They ONLY want to make friends with artists they see as valuable to them, so if you want friends who are just friends stay away from those types and be open to using social media to connect with others. If you reach out to help others, others will reach out to help you too.
>>
>>9718240
This is fucking badass, anon. Good job.
>>
Do you guys think one season animes (with currently running mangas) are worth keeping a few seasons later? Have these prints that of an anime from spring this year that I am really fond of but not sure if they're worth keeping in stock ): It wasn't TERRIBLY popular as far as I know, but a handful of people recognized and immediately bought them at my last con.

I haven't done enough cons to know selling patterns so wondering if anyone has similar experiences!
>>
>>9718422
There are alot of variables, if it still is airing on television then yes. If it was a series that was only online then at most I’ll keep it a year because that gives everyone who probably would watch it time to hear from others about it and watch it themselves.
>>
>>9718422
Agree with >>9718427, give it a year to fully gauge its staying power. A lot of my prints of obscure old fandoms have been slow but steady sellers for years, because when people DO find something, they're excited to buy it.
>>
>>9718422
Absolutely depends on the series. I have a print from a series that was WILDLY popular during its runtime but sells me zero copies a con now. I have another print from a series that was also popular during its runtime, but it sells steadily because it's now considered a sort of classic (also no one else has prints of it)

Are you the only one with a print of it even if it was sort of unpopular? Then I say keep it, but if it's not selling don't hesitate to replace it.
>>
>>9718422
I always keep one season anime merch for the next 6-12 months. Here's why: You have the people who watch anime as it's airing in Japan. They'll buy the first wave of merch that comes from a show. Then you have the people who watch a show as it shows up on streaming platforms or as licensing announcements are made. They'll be the second wave of purchases. Finally, you have your filthy casuals who watch anime on adult swim. They'll show up a year late to the party and be amazed that SOMEONE has heard of this AMAZING show that they just got into, and you have to put on your biggest customer service smile while you silently think to yourself, "You dumbass. This series was at everyone's table last year. You just didn't get the memo."
>>
>>9718147
yeah I usually do somewhere around 4 x 4 " or 5 x 5" and 300 dpi and I haven't had any problems.
>>
>>9718389
lol Fanime hasn't changed their price in such a long time, it was kind of inevitable. Fanime is such a money maker, that I'd be willing to shell out up to $500 for an AA table. $200 is nothing compared to the profit most (good) artists make there.
>>
As a sort of a newbie that got into a big con (will be splitting with a more seasoned friend), how much stock should i take? I don’t want to take too little because I have to fly out of state, but I also don’t want to take too much in case I don’t do well. I have 5 prints and 20 charms and a lot of small stickers. I’m so nervous! Any input is appreciated!
>>
>>9718623
>how much stock should i take?
Can we sticky this to the top? It gets asked in every thread.

The answer is the same every time. No one knows, especially without knowing the con you are attending or what you are selling.
The best advice is to bring enough so if you were to completely sell out you'd be happy with the profit you made, but if you don't sell a single thing, you won't be too upset to have to throw it all away.
>>
>>9718623
>>9718623
Prints: 10 each, maybe 15 for ones that you are confident about
Charms: 10 per design
Stickers: as much as you want, they're easy impulse buys

Bring lots of business cards so if you do run out, people can buy online.
>>
>>9718648
And just to make the point >>9718636 was saying, those numbers are all roughly twice what I'd print for one of my cons.
>>
>>9718623
>>9718648
Another anon and for my biggest con of the year I easily carry 3-4 times what this anon listed.

So >>9718636 is right. It's different for everyone and depends on the convention, your skill, and how much you normally sell. How big is big? Do you have a full table or a half table? Be more specific if you want specific answers, otherwise it'll be kind of a crapshoot for everyone.
>>
>>9718855
Half a table for AB. As I’m still new at this so I haven’t been to real cons yet.
>>
>>9718769
>>9718855
Lol you guys are comparing what you bring and throwing your own numbers around. The other Anon mentioned they are new to the scene, so it's better to give a safe number than inflated ones. It's better to sell out than have to bring back full suitcases back home.
>>
>AX cracking down on proxy sellers

time to have some fun ratting out a lot artists
>>
>>9718956
> Anon says to bring 10
> Next person says they bring 5
> Next person says they bring 30-40

I don't think that's throwing inflated numbers around, I think that's a pretty reasonable example of how any "rule of thumb" given is going to be completely anecdotal and baseless without better context to the question.

>>9718894
This is more useful info. Sorry I can't actually help, I haven't tabled at AB and don't know what the crowd is like.
>>
>>9718894
Did you get an email response from Anime Boston?
>>
I'm actually looking to see for those that sell at Magfest, compared to say Otakon and Katsu... Should you be bringing more stock to Magfest? Or are sales about the same?
>>
>>9718894
You'll probably want to bring less stuff for half-tables since you have less display space and in general, when I've shared with people I made less money than when I had full tables. I haven't done AB either but from what I've seen it's the best selling convention for a lot of artists so I think >>9718648 has about the right numbers for you. It also comes down to how skilled you are and how confident you are in your work. When I did my first con (AX) I printed around 7-8 per print and I still had leftovers that I ended up throwing away. At smaller cons, people recommend printing only 5 copies per print if you're new. Do you see your prints having lasting appeal? Then print 10. If not, print something like 5-7. Another thing to keep in mind is that print sales have been generally declining so it'd be better to focus your attention on charms and stickers instead. If you sell out of prints at a con, you can always reprint at a local print shop but you can't replace sold out charms on the spot.

>>9718956
None of those people were telling anon to bring inflated numbers. They were just saying it's impossible to give a standard response without more context. Learn to read.

>>9718978
I haven't been to Katsu but I've been to Mag and Ota. Mag's audience tends to skew older than your run of the mill anime cons.It also depends on what you sell! My video game products moved faster at Mag. I think overall I did slightly better at Otakon than I did at Mag but Ota is a bigger con I believe. I'd probably bring a similar amount of stock and maybe print more of video game related items?
>>
>>9719029
Oh and I forgot to say - do you have any cons planned in the near future? Because if you have leftover stock you could recycle your prints that way and it won't be a loss but if you're doing like 1 con a year then printing too many doesn't make sense at all and I'd recommend that you go with 5-7 instead.

I gave this exact same advice to an ex-friend about a local con but she decided to ignore me and go with 15+ copies per print and she sold like... 2 prints that entire weekend and then ragequit cons so she never even got to make back the cost of the posters.
>>
>>9719029
My stuff Is pretty RPG / Game oriented. Normally I bring 10 each of things to places like Otakon, and can sell like the last one Sunday. Or have 2-3 remainder. I'm just debating on upping the quantities for Mag, but things are pretty tight so if it's not a definite sell I'd rather bring the 10.
>>
>>9718958
If only every con did this, the worst is when there are 2 proxies for the same artist in the same AA
>>
>>9718958
ugh finally. I use proxies too but really grinds my gears when I see the same artist in both vendors and AA selling the same prints
>>
I'm sorry if it's rude to ask this, but in your opinion what is the baseline level of art/skills you should have for AA? What's the standard like?
I haven't been to a con in too long for my memory to be relevant. Examples of good or bad art is fine.
>>
File: con quality.png (2.18 MB, 1772x2032)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
>>9719874
grabbed off the newest anime/manga page on deviantart, but basically gets across what the lowest quality art in my opinion you could attend cons with, and the lowest quality I typically see at cons (top).

All the examples I used for my standards are still very boring and generic, but they're at least basically competent and have some appeal.
>>
Looks like acorn press is coming back.
I hope it works out alright, and they still have the low MOQ, there's quite a few special materials i'd like to try out.
>>
>>9720090

Man. They burned everyone so bad, idk if I wanna deal with them again. It really sucked to do a run of charms with them and then have to set them up all over again with a new place when I had to restock after they disappeared.
>>
>>9720123
Is there a concise rundown of what happened with them?
>>
File: apress.png (38 KB, 445x672)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>9720132
Acornpress was a small business run by 2 people. They offered cheap pricing and were US-based so quickly grew in terms of popularity.

But the owners didn't hire additional help to deal with the exponential growth. And the sheer number of new orders/inquiries ended up absolutely inundating them. People started reporting decrease in quality as well as customer service (not meeting deadlines, no message sent out when products were shipped, ignored emails).

At a certain point they just couldn't function as a business anymore. About 6-7 months ago they went absolutely AWOL and posted this message on their tumblr. AFAIK some artists in this thread said that they still haven't gotten a response/refund from them.

I'm tentative about the news because their specialty acrylics are really cool but I would hope they respond to all messages before they attempt a reopening.
>>
>>9720090
are you FUCKING kidding me. THIS is what we get after 7 months? And the worst part is, I'll probably STILL go back to them like a battered wife because I need that sweet, sweet glitter acrylic. UGH.
>>
>>9720090
> 01/01/2017
Girl are you retarded?
>>
File: 2018.png (19 KB, 574x200)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>9720195
Did you even check the tweet? Fera fixed the typo - they're coming back 01/01/2018. Don't be a rude fucker to that anon if you're not even gonna do the fact checking yourself.
>>
How long does it usually take for fanime to send out jury results?
>>
>>9719874
>>9719922
My personal opinion from my own con experience is that the drawings in bottom middle and bottom left are low tier while the one in bottom right is standard. Top row = don't bother.
>>
>>9720205
By bottom right, I meant the image's bottom right (so our left).
>>
Missed Fanime app by a couple seconds. It's my own fault but I'm still mad because it didn't go through the first time even though I entered things correctly.
>>
>>9720200
Not you, pull the stick out and grasp the context.

I doubt anyone is going to trust this girl after the shit she put artists through.
>>
>>9720223
I'm >>9720141, I'm not advocating that people trust AP after what they did. Why don't you re-read >>9720195? They weren't questioning the choice of people choosing to use AP again - they were being shitty because the original tweet had a typo about the reopening date and were trying to jump on anon for sharing old news.
>>
>>9720226
>>9720195
i mean.... the hostility over supposedly posting old shit when it says the tweet was posted 2 minutes ago like anon has been saving that screencap for a whole year
>>
>>9720203
not until the first day of con
>>
>>9720215
you had three days...
>>
>>9719922
>>9720205
Thank you two. This gives me a good goal to work towards.
Thankfully, my anatomy and general design sense are better than these. Unfortunately, I still suck at coloring and working in digital.
>>
really hoping fanime apps get approved a little faster this year since they opened a month late, but I won't hold my breath. I've never gotten in and last year I was part of that "you're at the bottom of the waitlist so dont even bother" group so I just kinda want to get this over with
>>
>>9720275
They only took one month last year. What?
>>
>mfw I really want to sell at HolMat but I don't think I could stand being next to her all weekend especially with how judgemental she seems
>>
>>9720520
>sells manufactured body pillows and plush with Undertake on them
>UT creator literally says that even though fan art is somewhat okay to sell now "If mass-produced and machine/factory made, it’s not OK."
But I can't sell something completely handmade with Roadhog on it.
>>
is there some sort of 'sharing suppliers' drama happening? i keep seeing things on twitter.
>>
>>9720508
NAYRT but years before they would take a really long time to send out acceptances, even almost up to 1-2 months before the convention started. This would be a pain for accepted artists to book plane and hotel and a lot would just drop because they were accepted at other conventions on the same weekend.
>>
>>9720556
discourse about artists refusing to share their supplier secrets and other artists salty about it and calling the former selfish, and the other calling them spoonfed and/or entitled
>>
>>9720215
You should have gotten an email that you were in the system? Did you not click through the verification link?
>>
>>9720508
I was just kidding since fanime takes such a long time. I swear they do this shit on purpose to make us buy the badges at the most expensive price.
>>
>>9720567
Why are people being called selfish for refusing to do a 15 second Alibaba search for some lazy fucks? Ever notice how it's always the shit tier "artists" that are whining about not knowing where to get suppliers are too? You guys are doing us all a favor by making sure flop tumblr artist #2036 doesn't get to a supplier for enamel pins and makeup bags. It would be a waste of materials on them anyway.
>>
>>9720520
>>9720527
why is overwatch on their no list??
>>
>>9720592
Probably the same reason why Disney is there if Blizzard has a tendency to crack down hard on fanart sales. I don't actually know much about it.
>>
>>9720520
What would 25% of a booth even be, like a 2 x 2 cube of space? Would there be room for a table?
Why even bother?
>>
>>9720441
last year there were so many empty fucking tables, they better get that shit out
>>
>>9720567
>>9720556
There's more to this too. A lot of artists have shared being harassed or being used for information so they no longer feel comfortable sharing with strangers. Other artists have talked about treating artists like human beings and getting to know them first before demanding sources. But they're all getting labeled as "people who want to see newbie artists fail" because some people are mad that they can't just get sources for free.

>>9720573
The argument I've heard is "well newbie artists can't AFFORD to take the risk so the info should be handed to them so they don't waste their money" and if you disagree with this on any level (aka - newbie artists should be starting out with prints and basic merch like stickers instead of trying to aim for enamel pins and manufactured goods from the get go) then you're a "pretentious elitist gatekeeper".

I've tried being polite with these people and explaining all the reasons why someone might not share and how it actually might be more beneficial for artists to do their own research. They won't listen. It's easier for them to demonize artists who won't share in the name of the "art community" then actually process the idea that this isn't the way you build a community.
>>
>>9720634
>"well newbie artists can't AFFORD to take the risk so the info should be handed to them so they don't waste their money"

kek, this is why newbie artists shouldn't quit their day jobs, or a good percentage of others too. Treat AA like a hobby first, and like any other hobby have you job fund your hobby, and have the other way around as a long term goal if you want to. Of course everyone want the process way too quickly and don't realize all the resources in the world don't help if you don't know the market first. If I knew a supplier that sold 0.03 fidget spinners and went into the vendor hall, it would still be a bad investment.

Also that implication that more experienced artists are rolling in the money and can afford to make mistake after mistake because of lack of research either. Day jobs overall are more likely to pay more than dishing out waifu merch at AA, ,unless you are one of the best maybe.

Though personally, I don't care about newbie artists wasting their money if they're lazy, so that argument wouldn't work for me at the start.
>>
>>9720634
This is literally such a dumb argument--honestly, if "newbie artists" are this fuckin rude, dumb, and lazy then yes, I do want to see you fail.

If people actually wanted to get into AA they would both do their own research and see if they could get advice from others, and if they find certain channels blocked then they can find other options on their own. Also, when you ask sources people who make tons of merch, it's unlikely that those manufacturing options will be viable for newbies unless it's like prints or business cards or whatever.

USE THE DAMN INTERNET, PEOPLE. It's literally the best resource anyone has. I don't understand where everyone is getting all this entitlement from. No! one! is! obligated! to share their sources with you!!!
>>
>>9720634
> "people who want to see newbie artists fail"

this is such a bullshit argument - I don't want to see new artists fail, but I do want competing businesses to do their own work. Me not telling someone where to get washi tape or enamel pins made is not going to prevent them from making art. If they want to make money from a product, they should work for it. Why can't these idiots get it through their skulls that this part of AA is BUSINESS not ART.

Making art =/= making money. If you want to make art, ask me how to improve on composition, color, anatomy, WHATEVER. I'll happily redirect you somewhere. If you want to ask me how to make money? Fuck off, I barely know how to do it myself.

The people who are using this as an argument are trying to hide it under the guise of 'support the arts' but if you take this scenario and replace the subject of 'art' with anything else, house building, suddenly it feels a little less guilt inducing, doesn't it?
>>
>>9720794
Exactly. Not sharing sources isn't the same thing as actively discouraging younger artists but that's what people are making it out to be. Honestly use this sort of logic with anything else (any other type of business or even academia) and the argument falls flat.

Also even beyond business reasons, a lot of artists have personal reasons as well for not wanting to share and it's so ridiculous to me to turn what is a large chunk of the AA community into villains. How is any of this productive? Do these people honestly think calling people elitist and selfish will somehow lead to us WANTING to share? All this is doing is making sure that I never share with anyone outside my trusted circle.
>>
>>9720595
I've never seen Blizzard crack down on fanart sales..? Michael Chu talk to selling artists friends of mine....????
>>
>>9720846
Do they just do so online then? It's never happened to me, but I saw on the stickied list that blizzard was a no-no, so I haven't posted anything. If they moderately don't care, I would like to know.
>>
>>9720849
I sell overwatch enamel pins and buttons and haven't had a problem yet.
>>
>>9720849
As far as I know, at cons, they don't care. I've had Overwatch merch since beta and WoW merch since forever and never once have gotten asked to take it down, I even put it up on facebook and friends who work at blizzard ask if they can buy it/see me at a con (Understand that game devs are separate than the team that can issue takedowns though.)

However, I HAVE heard of them taking merch down online quite often. I don't have an online shop so I wouldn't know from personal experience unfortunately.
>>
>>9720846
They used to be super strict when OW was first released. I recall a lot of artists got hit with C&Ds for online sales in the early days. A part of it too was that the people who jumped on the OW merch bandwagon early were ONLY selling like vector trace rips of the OW logo.

They're not that strict about it at all nowadays. Especially if it's clearly derivative work and not their logo.
>>
>>9720852
What kind of WoW merch do you have anon? I've been looking for some that's not just Alliance/Horde logos...
>>
>https://twitter.com/primarvelous/status/940700319264231431
>"posting these top secret sources so newbie artists don't have to waste money on bad quality goods or get scammed"
>shares sources that sell bad quality goods, have scammed customers, and are overpriced for people wanting to mass produce

don't try to help if you don't know what you're doing desu
>>
>>9720946
bad artists tend to have bad info
besides, literally everything she's listed can be found in the top 5 results when you google how to do artist alley/with MINIMAL research lmao i get she was doing the clickbait title but come on.
>>
>>9720946
Not sharing sources is a neutral act, but sharing bad sources is just sabotage lol. I can't say I feel bad for people who can't be bothered to fact check though.
>>
>>9720946
She's throwing a little shitfit because some of the bigger artists on Twitter called her out for misinformation.

What did you expect? You threw a large chunk of the "community" under the bust as ~selfish cynical gatekeepers~ while giving people straight up WRONG information.
>>
>>9720946
>>9721028
this makes me feel kinda bad for her because she IS still one of those newbie-ish artists that's still stuck in the hugbox mentality. I think her heart was in the right place, but seeing as how a lot of people were demonizing non-sharing artists, she sort of climbed on top of a high horse for a moment but now she doesn't know how to get down.
>>
>>9721042
You're a better person than me, anon.

She started off her thread by demonizing other artists so I don't have a ton of sympathy for her. "Pretend you know me if it makes you feel better?" Kind of like how you assumed other artists were all selfish monsters? Must suck to be accused of things by completely random strangers on the internet, right?
>>
>>9721042

Idk, reading her tweets and her Tumblr post leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have no doubt she is in hugbox mode but her tweets leave me with the impression that this was in part exploitative. She probably wasn't expecting such a large backlash but I have no sympathy for someone who tries to gain by throwing others under the bus. She might not have done it intentionally but what was to be expected when you decide to play the hero in a scenario where there are no villains?
>>
>>9720946
>I also definitely recommend Vistaprint for business cards they always do a good job
In what fucking universe is this true? Tip: Get a Moo business account. You will always have a 30% discount, which also stacks with any sales they're having. I can get 1000 business cards for under $200. This includes double sided printing, printing that doesn't look like shit, full color, and they include little business card holders you can put in your purse in each box. They also will let you return an order if you hate it. Good luck getting that with Vista Print. I tried them once and never again. I'd get charged extra for the tiniest things. Color? Costs extra. TWO sided printing? That's extra, too. We fucked up on the printing? Too bad, so sad, you should have looked at the PDF proof first.

I realize this is not the rants and rave section, but I had to share. Do not cut corners with business cards.
>>
>>9721235
What world do you come from lmao I got 1000 double sided color business cards for $100 on Vista. I'll admit their quality and color is off now and then and their customer service is shit (so i wouldn't praise them as amazing) but for something I'm giving away for free I want something that's cheap and gets the job done not 2000 mini Mona Lisas.
>>
>>9720921
I have lots of different stuff like keychains and books with chibis of WoW characters and group shots of alliance/horde leaders! I started making way more this year bc I was sad at the lack of WoW in the AA
>>
>>9721240
Have you tried Gotprint? If you dont care about superb quality they will get you 1k cardstock-thick one sided color business cards for 20$, maybe 30$ after tax and shipping. Theyre my favorite because I also dont care about my business cards being god-quality when 70% of them will probably be smushed at the bottom of someones backpack and thrown away.
>>
>>9721248
Seconding Gotprint!! I spend like $40 for 1000 double-sided full color business cards. Plus if you’re LA based you can pick em up at Burbank instead of paying for shipping!
>>
Whill people buy 4 inch $15 charms? I’m starting to see a lot of 3 inch $15 charms and wonder if the reall sell.
>>
>>9721240
I don't put my business cards out, I just include them with purchases and hand them out to people who actually matter. Way too many people running around in AA just looking for business cards with art on them and never actually buying anything. I wanted a card that made a statement, and it comes out to well under 20 cents a card. I can spare that. My last order of 1000 business cards cost $165 after tax and shipping. I will gladly pay $65 more to not deal with Vistaprint customer service and their shit quality.
>>
>>9721335
>People grabbing cards
Man I hate this. Especially at anime cons where there's a bunch of kids (or loser adults) with no money to spare and they just zoom past the table while grabbing a card and not actually look at anything or say hello. You know they're in AA just to collect business cards because they're clutching at a stack already. I've stopped putting out cards for this sole reason.
>>
>>9720946
>>9721028
>>9721042
>>9721054
Lol I think she's lurking. She's still chimping out on twitter and using words that's been said here. One of her golden holier-than-thou tweets:

>I think people are drinking tea without sugar. That bitterness has to come from somewhere

Yeah it comes from having to deal and encounter idiot artists like her. She can't even afford to replace her stupid laptop and is resorting to donations on ko-fi, I don't think she's in any position to give business advice lmao.
>>
i want to make artwork for some charms but have never done charms before. could someone please post an album or pinterest board of good examples, if there are any? or if there's like a little guide anyone has made.

>>9721443
i do this. mostly because it's awkward looking then not buying anything, so i want to make it seem like i show interest. what should i do instead?
>>
>>9721494
I'm fine with people not buying anything and then taking a business card, but some people don't even look which is what peeves me. If you know won't even look up the business card later though, I suggest you just smile, tell them to have a good day, and move on. Cards are cheap, but they still cost money, so I appreciate people not taking them needlessly.
>>
File: IMG_20171214_151751.jpg (69 KB, 720x494)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Alright which one of you had the bright idea to paywall sources it's genius
>>
>>9721448
lmao she keeps claiming she "doesn't regret making the thread because it helped so many people" helped them what? get ripped off? she's making it incredibly obvious she made that thread to stroke her own ego + get followers rather than actually do anything to "help" people, she's no better than the artists she's demonizing
>>
>>9721503
?
>>
Sometimes it feels like the only things people want to buy are over-rendered realism pieces, chibis, or tumblr style.

>sage for whining
>>
>>9721540
I mean, you have to appeal to your market in any business. It sucks, but be it food, fashion, art, furniture- whatever. You can't just make what YOU want to make and expect people to see your vision. You have to make what your retarded, no-taste customers want.
>>
how little money do you guys make at AA that you can't afford to give away cards worth around 10 cents or less?
>>
>>9721545
yeah... i know. doesn't make it any less miserable at times.
>>
>>9721552
it adds up. wasting money is wasting money
>>
>>9721528
med's advice would be worth paying for imo
>>
>>9721317
I've seen 2" charms going for $15 so there's no problem
>>
>>9721552
when you give away average of 1000 business cards a large sized convention by placing it on the table. um ya
>>
>>9721552
Lol the fact that some of these artists are going through thousands of cards so quickly that they've had to seriously financially factor in the cost of these 10cent cards means they're getting foot traffic and business you probably don't get, anon.
>>
>>9721568
wasting? I've definitely made more money from giving away cards than spent.
>>9721591
how are 1,000 taking a card at one con?? Even at large cons, I hardly have more than 100 people take a card.
>>
>>9721609
I'm a small time table and I still hand out 250+ every con, easily, and it doesn't even have a side that's purely art for people to nab for that alone. Are you a crafter? People take crafter's cards less often. If not, there's likely something seriously unappealing about your card or your art.
>>
>>9721609
>>9721618
Please stop putting your cards out in the open like that. THAT is wasting money. You and I both know that it's just going to be tweens and deadbeats taking your card, and maaaaybe one person who spends $10 on Sunday. Take the time to make a sign with your information and let people take a photo of that. Trust me, if they were actually interested in your art, they'd take a photo.

>>9721603
What kind of broken logic is this? If they're getting foot traffic, that means they're also getting enough money to pay for more business cards. 3/10 I replied
>>
>>9721494
Don't over complicate your design if you make charms.

Take advantage of charm materials ( Clear for transparent effects)

Think outside the box and design something that would look nice at a small size and dangling off something.

Go to Acorn Press's tumblr and follow zaps twitter to see what designs people come up with.

The only guides out there for charms revolve around setting up files as opposed to designing. Try dragging inspiration from real life objects like pic related.
>>
>>9721631
I personally think that just making a sign is an indication that the person is a lazy, cheap motherfucker. I know that is something that not everyone feels that way, but it makes me unreasonably salty. I mean it's not too bad to have both, which is probably the best way, but it grinds my gears to have to take a photo at 99% I say fuck it. On business cards I tend to write what I was interested in the booth about. On my own business cards I purposefully leave one side blank so I can write what someone was interested in myself. With a photo it just gets lost.
>>
>>9721552
I factor in business cards as an investment in advertising that I expect maybe only a 10% return on.

A lot of people take my card enough where I decided to get single-sided cards instead of double sided to save on costs, but somehow I've been getting more people following back with those. Maybe skimming off the extra effort of turning the card around is worth keeping people's attention to plug in your social medias to follow?

In any case, single sided saves me on money though so I'm not really complaining about that. I also wait for sales on printing websites to get them for pretty cheap.
>>
>>9721540
I've been thinking of the opposite? I only create merch items and pieces of things I personally want to see in an AA and feel the need to buy because a lot of AA seems same-y and I've been doing pretty well so far?
>>
>>9721631
I make business cards more for me than anyone else. I'm a graphic designer professionally and it makes me happy to have a well made piece of branding at my table that people can take with them.
>>
>>9721635
I've done cards, and then switched to signs. Both resulted in around the same amount of followers/returns, so given that it's completely not worth my time to print up cards for the table. Less about the cost and more about it taking up precious space in the rest of the cargo I have to haul to the con.

That being said, I'm completely planning on springing for a letterpressed triplex card for giving to people who are serious about having me do freelance and such when they ask. It's something I've wanted to have for myself since forever so it's more of a splurge than anything else. I'd also like to do less of a business card and more of a miniprint for customers as a small thank-you gesture for buying.

I don't blame you for having your point of view, and I'm totally down for having out post-its or something to help buyers like you out in place of having cards. Otherwise yeah, from my experience cards don't do much for me.
>>
>>9721618
>Are you a crafter?
yes
>>9721631
How is it wasting money? People take the card home and then buy something online. Most people can't be bothered to take a picture of a sign, I know I sure can't.
A card also makes you MUCH more rememberable. giving someone a symbol to remember you by is more effective than a name. Names are harder to remember than a logo.
>>9721635
I agree with this. You shouldn't make the customer jump through hoops to remember your store.
>>9721638
I like single sided. nice having everything on one side and cheaper. Also, its nice having the back blank in case you need to write down extra info for someone, like a phone number or other personal contact.
>>
>>9721528
>>9721569
lmao I used getmed from a rec in this thread and they have the worst business ethic, joined a group order, paid, and havent heard anything since. getscammed is more like it
>>
>>9721818
also ftr before i get called salty, i have dm'd/emailed and have been ignored. cant really bring it up nonanon because GETMEDS IS SOOO GOOD GUYS
>>
>>9721685
How is taking a photo of a sign jumping through hoops when so many customers take photos of shit without asking?
>>
>>9721685
>Names are harder to remember
Means you're not branding yourself well enough with your generic ass name. BOTH your logo and name should be memorable. The name might even be more important because who the fuck says "Oh yeah, I bought this from that girl with the cat logo with wings." What are they gonna do? Google the description of your logo and hope to find you online? Looool
>>
>>9721818
>>9721828
pretty much had the same experience. Placed an order, no contact for 2 months, didn't respond to my 5 emails. Product still showed up and it's good, but they fact they didn't bother to reply to ANY of my emails, the emails where I was more or less saying "please take more of my money" - not sure if I want to place an order through them again.
>>
File: sample.jpg (569 KB, 980x739)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
Hey, newbie here. Been lurking for a bit and just wanted to see if I'm at a level where I'd be able to sell anything. My style's fluctuated a bit but I plan on working on my rendering skills to try and produce some sellable prints.
>>
>>9721240
Vistaprint quality has also dropped over the last year as well I noticed.

I ALWAYS keep around 10-20 cards from each printing I have done by them so I can compare quality exactly, and the newest ones the cardstock is slightly thinner, barely smaller around the edge, and the image is slightly shifted.

If I hadnt kept previous cards I would have thought it was all in my head. ~_~
>>
>>9721948
i've seen people defend them saying "well they're still in school, they're busy" but if that's the case then maybe?? don't run a fucking business?
>>
>>9721956
id buy that osomatsu pic as a print or whatever else instantly if i saw it in aa. i swear every other table has osomatsu-san merch of the characters just standing around or at chibita's oden stand or something. i dont mind people who make merch for shit they dont really care about but it should at least be a little less obvious.

"is my art good enough to sell" is kind of a pointless question i honestly think anyone can sell anything if they find the right audience or have a huge variety. on the other hand competent artists can go broke if theyre not prepared, sell stuff nobody wants, only sell fandom of the month stuff, are outmatched by the competition, or just go to a shitty con/mismatched for their art con. my first con was ax and i didnt break even but now i make enough to justify tabling. selling stuff is a nice ego boost, i get to see friends i dont see often and i get to eat good food after the day is done. if not for that i think id just stop doing it.

tl;dr depends on your goal. want to sell for fun? your art is good enough. want to profit? who knows
>>
>>9721956
I'd say the Ace Attorney pic is the only one that looks readily mediocre, but the rest seem just fine.
>>
>>9721956
This is basically what the rest of AA is capable of, you'll be fine.
>>
>>9720520
Ugh I really don't like this person. I was in the AANI discord for awhile but it's kind of trash so I left. I remember her going off about how she doesn't tip her servers and that it's not mandatory...
>>
>>9722365
It’s an insult in many cultures and countries to tip
>>
>>9722421
They're in the US.
>>
>>9721634
thank you a lot anon, i never would have thought of the transparency bit on my own. i'll start drawing.
>>
>>9722365
offtopic and thus saged but tipping isn't and shouldn't be mandatory*, even and especially in the US; at best you're inflating the worth of a pleasant but useless occupation and at worst you're actively contributing to the shitty corporate practice of not paying employees enough and letting shitty employers bring home more money for paying their workers less. unless your service is completely overboard, tipping in the US does more harm than good.

*aside from delivery drivers, they're essentially the only people who can legally make less than minimum wage because a lot of places make them use their own vehicle and/or cover all gas and upkeep themselves, which can work out to less than minimum for low-volume places, so you really should tip your delivery driver 1-2$ or so.
>>
>>9722632
Cool, make it clear you won't tip before service next time you go out
>>
>>9722632
I wish that tipping was done with and servers get paid properly, even with a few extra dollars more for the food. I hate having the duel feeling of what feels like wasting money yet feeling like a douche at the same time. I do tip at around what it is "suppose" to, but it doesn't stop the internal feelings. I don't feel that for every other service and we shouldn't have to here

Sage for off-topic
>>
>>9722632
yea, I don't get people who say you have to tip servers, but not tip any other min wage worker. I don't tip a cashier, why would I tip a server?
>>
>>9722632
Change this by changing the law and supporting restaurants that don’t allow tipping not by fucking over your waiter. Why are you so maladjusted.
>>
>>9722665
>I don't tip a cashier, why would I tip a server?
God I know this is bait because someone can't seriously be this stupid. A cashier doesn't spend a significant amount of time taking care of you and fetching your fat gob more ranch and refilling your diet coke 7 times and listening to you bitch about how your expired coupon should still be valid.
>>
>>9722673
> wahh my service job is more important than that other service job
sure it is, man.
>>
>>9722365
They always look unhappy and unpleasant when I see them in AAs. They're always on their laptop or eating and ignore their customers. Every time I have actually gone over to their booth to look at things they never greet me or acknowledge I'm there. Once I bought a button from them and since there was no one else around I figured it would be okay to be friendly and try to talk about AAs, and I mentioned that I had seen some of their posts and was also on AANI and they just went "...Okay.". They just give off such a rude vibe I have no desire to support them.
>>
>>9722678
They're different jobs with different pay. I've been both. I never ever felt like a tip as a cashier was appropriate because 90% of the time I stood there doing jack shit. As a server you are constantly tending to the needs of the guest. You are there legitimate servant while they are dining. You are providing a service to them. If you can't afford to give someone a few bucks for working for you then go eat at Mcdonalds.
>>
>>9722665
I can't believe I'm taking this bait but I guess I have the vain hope that maybe people reading this don't realize that waitstaff get paid under minimum wage because employers bank on tips making up the difference. When I was a waitress I made about $4/hr in an area where minimum was was $8.5. Some make around $3/hr. One or two people a shift not tipping isn't the worst thing ever, but big parties leaving nothing or a day full of cheap assholes can definitely make a difference.

People can do whatever they want, sure, but I know I wouldn't be eager to share a table with someone who bragged openly about never tipping.

To stay somewhat on topic: I really like when charms/pins have cute matching backboards, but I think it's easier to package them up nicely when mailing compared to at a con. Does anyone have special packaging for the charms and things they sell at cons? Do you prepackage them and just pull them out for the purchace, or pack the boards/bags separately and arrange them as they're bought?
>>
>>9722637
you are legally obligated to be paid minimum wage by your employer regardless of what I do or don't tip; if you don't make at least minimum wage in tips it doesn't matter because your employer is legally obligated to make up the difference. unless you're trying to say that servers make more than other people at minimum wage, like people who actually do jobs that involve more than memorization and smiles and actually involve physical labor and useful skills, you have no argument, and if you do think that then you're just trying to inflate the value of your work which harms everyone.

>>9722670
every time someone tries they get met with the fact that no one besides customers actually wants it, and so it gets met with resistance at nearly every turn.

>>9722681
if you were actually a proper, pleasant and useful servant then I can guarantee that no one would have a problem with tipping you except cheap fuckhats. no one has a problem with tipping for great service, they have a problem with the fact that it's expected and socially required to tip for even minimal service, when all they're doing is taking your order and bringing your check, and maybe refilling water if you go through the effort of getting their attention or bringing you extra napkins or something - this isn't great service, and sure as hell doesn't deserve more pay than people that actually do productive work or work requiring physical labor.
having a server is part of the restaurant experience, it's why you're getting employed by the restaurant, it's why people go to a restaurant instead of mcDonalds or just making their own food. This is reflected in the price of the meals, which translates to the restaurants pay of you - or at least it should, instead the customers have to foot the bill twice for their own minimum service and the employers walk away laughing. You're a tool of your employer if you think that tipping for anything less than great service is good or even acceptable.
>>
>>9722703
*trying to say that servers should make more
remember kids, phoneposting is bad.
>>
>>9722703
>like people who actually do jobs that involve more than memorization and smiles and actually involve physical labor and useful skills
>thinking being a server doesn't involve physical labor or useful skills like time management, customer service, cash-handling, bussing and cleaning, teamwork, etc.
Confirmed for never having served. This is a damn stupid argument though and has no place here. Go back to /ck/ if you want to bitch about it.
>>
Well, it seems like everyone is is super salty now, like whenever else serving is brought up, so to make it AA related, what makes you unreasonably salty?

I'm >>9721635 so I'm still going go with that. I know it makes sense for a lot of people, and I acknowledge the reasoning of >>9721663 and why other people do it, but there is still an internal part of me that can't let it go. (I also don't intend to bring up an already past conversation and further it, but it so happened to be my example)
>>
>>9722713
It really doesn't though, it requires some memorization skills, the ability to not trip over yourself and other people, and the ability to smile a lot, the ability to see when people are waving at you, that's about it. If you find a serving job physically demanding on anything less than a double shift then you either have a legitimate physical issue or really need to get in to shape, the dishwasher does more physically demanding work than you do and 100% makes less for it.
The only people who like tipping are employers, their tools, and servers who want to make a highly inflated wage for having no valuable skills and no expectations to improve or gain new skills.
[spoiler]dear fucking god I'd love to go back to /ck/ but that place is an even worse shithole than here please lord don't make me go back I don't ever want to see another mcchicken or surly egg man or marine eating seafood again please[/spoiler]

>>9722719
any form of FCFS for cons larger than mid-sized makes me unreasonably angry; there is absolutely no purpose to letting in people based on how fast they can click through things when the slots can fill up before the page loads. It also doesn't make any sense, because if you have so many applicants that your slots are taken that fast, wouldn't you have tons more to gain from some type of jurying? you clearly have the demand already, why not make the best of it that you can?
I honestly just don't understand FCFS at all, although I suppose I can see the benefits with ease of processing.
>>
>>9722719
Long sales pitches. Or even intermediate sales pitches.

Usually I get away from my table and look through the rest of the AA once, maybe twice per con, and I'm generally trying to be fast and just visually take in as much as possible. A "Hi, how are you" is sufficient- if I'm definitely looking at something and you have like six words to say about it, okay. Any more than that... no. I've gotten to the point where I've walked away from people in the middle of sales pitches, despite knowing how incredibly rude this is, just because: I can't stand it. Don't wanna hear it. Bye.
>>
Anyone who's made their own stickers: do you prefer matte paper or glossy? Or vinyl?
>>
>>9722673
bringing be a soda. truly the hardest workers of the world.
>>9722697
>waitstaff get paid under minimum wage
except they don't. You might get paid less by your employer if you get enough tips, but if you don't get any tips, you will get paid min wage like a cashier would.
>>
>>9722722
You're entitled to your opinions. Tell your server you will not tip them before you order. If you want to engage in political protest then you should stick to your morals regardless of the consequences. If you think a server is worth $4/hour then you should receive $4/hour service. There's honor in sticking to your standards, even if I personally disagree with them.

But If you do not tell your server, then you're a cheapskate and a coward who wants to benefit off of a system you claim to find reprehensible at the detriment of the people subject to it.

>>9722719
People who take more at-con commissions than they can finish at the con, without telling the client. I hate playing the waiting game with getting mailed a commission weeks or months after a convention ended, or worse yet and never receiving the commission at all!
>>
>>9722743
the server is getting minimum wage even if no one tips them the entire day, and they are absolutely not worth more than than unless they truly give great service.
When servers start campaigning for the dishwashers and the prep cooks (or god forbid, the actual line cooks and real chefs) to split the tips or something then I'll consider it, but if you think that you should be making more than them (if whether or not I tip regardless of service makes a difference to you) you're an entitled piece of shit who's going to spit in food or purposely fuck things up worse than normal, so why would I tell you?
>implying minimum service is worth $4 an hour
there's a reason the "entitled FoH" stereotype exists, and you're it. You're making minimum wage regardless, and if you're actually doing such good service as to be worth more than that then no one will have an issue with tipping you. You just want to do less work with no useful skills and not have to improve your skillset at all while still making an inflated wage.

>People who take more at-con commissions than they can finish at the con
This is fucking awful, especially if they sell it to you as though they're going to get it to you by the end of the con and then when you try to find them they just say something along the lines of "here give me your contact info and I'll send it when I get back from the con" and then you're sitting there waiting wondering when or even if the fuck you're ever going to get contacted.
>>
Anyone have any opinions on a good at-home printer? Mostly for stickers.
>>
>>9722728
jfc this. I've had to grow a backbone for this certain thing, because before that there is a couple of people that decided to tell me their life story because I dared showed slight interest in something.

>>9722748
Overall I agree, but even though there is a law that says you need to pay minimum wage, I've heard from multiple people that the world is't perfect and they don't get it. Why they don't go to the labor board about it, I don't know. A mix of laziness and fear of losing an entry level job is the likely answer though, not realizing that there is additional laws to protect whistleblowers.
>>
>>9722755
idunno, I can sympathize a lot with not wanting to lose a job where essentially anyone can be trained to take your place in a few hours but really they're just causing their own problems at that point, they don't want to get stepped on so they let themselves get stepped on, which doesn't actually help themselves and hurts others in the long run because it just lets the issue continue.
Also I know a lot of people don't bother paying attention to things in school or the world around them, but (in the US at least) resources about how to go about reporting your employer are everywhere and a quick google can give you all the help that you need with this. I have sympathy, but really they're only making their problems worse.
>>
Can y'all stop shitting up the thread with your stupid fucking opinions about servers? I don't even care what side you are on just shut up.
>>
>>9722697
>Does anyone have special packaging for the charms and things they sell at cons?
I have special packaging for my charms just for conventions! If I have extra packaged after a con, I'll mail them as is, but I won't package new ones just for mailed orders. People seem really excited to see cute packaging for charms, especially if they're gifting them to friends!

I try to prepackage them. It's easy to just bring charms, clear tape, backing cards, and clear bags, too. Plus if the con is slow it gives you something to do. People liked watching me put together charms during off-hours last time I did it.
>>
>>9722719
Customers who try to haggle or ask for discounts. Especially if the item they're purchasing is already cheap. I can never imagine myself asking for one when I'm buying from an artist. It's fuckin rude.
>>
>>9722748
>You
Dude, I'm a salaried in-house web developer. I'm just not a shitty person. I think it says a lot about you that you'd assume anyone who respects service industry jobs must be working one.
>>
Back on topic!

If you own a button maker, do you press buttons before hand, or bring it with you and make them as you go at the con?

I'm finally getting my own and planning to bring the press with me, but I know people do it both was and I'm curious.
>>
>>9722719
When I see good artists getting denied (not even put on wait list) from a convention that has really shitty artwork used for their banner or mascot. I feel like you have no grounds to reject an artist with more skill than what the main image is representing for your convention.

Even though in reality I know those shitty art banners are made from someone who knows someone who runs the convention... Which just grinds my gears even more in knowing that things are being juried based on who knows who rather than who knows what.
>>
>>9722903
before hand, those tecre machines weigh a ton. If it's your first convention and you aren't sure of demand (and it's local) i suppose bring it with you, but better then to leave it wherever you're staying and press more at the end of each day.
>>
>>9722920
>grinds my gears even more in knowing that things are being juried based on who knows who rather than who knows what.

Networking, it’s business 101, hun.

This is the way all business and politics is done. Never fear reaching out to AA heads or 2nds while at con and ingratiate yourself to them whenever possible.
>>
>>9722735
vinyl. shit lasts way longer and is waterproof.
>>
>>9722719
Juries that arent actually juries. Fanime comes to mind. They provide a rubric, but I swear their picks are so fucking randim that it's a lottery.

My first Fanime I apply, get in no problem, have fantastic sales. Next fanime I apply, I'm definitely better with a wider merch variety, and I score so low I don't even get on the waiting list. What? I'm all for improvement and if I'm not good enough I understand and would like to work towards improving, but you seriously cant tell me in one year I got so bad that I wasnt even considered.

I talked to more friends who applied, and one of my friends who is imo one of the best artists in the AA also didn't even get on the waitlist.

Fanime if youre gonna just pick whoever has the cutest voltron merch, put it in the fucking rubric please so I can shit out some chibis and have a chance in the running.
>>
if you're applying to a big con, is it better to get half a table or a full table? i am fairly new to this.
>>
>>9718623
If all you have is 5 prints, I'd suggest bring at least 20 each so you don't miss out on sales.
If you have a little bit more than that, I'd be looking at 10-15 for the less popular series, 25 for the more popular ones.
>>
>>9716537
when we signed up for the lottery, they said the results will be out late December once you hit the submit button. I can't remember the exact date but I think it was after Dec 25.
>>
>>9722975

What?? First of all, you sound like someone who has a buddy on an AA staff and you don't want people fucking up your good thing. Second of all, if 1000 people tried to "professionally network" with the AA staff in order to get tables then how is that good for anyone? This is idiotic advice.

I know some artists treat AA as their business, but it's NOT a business. Befriending AA staff to get a table is not a business tactic. It's slimy and underhanded and unfair to other artists who apply.
>>
>>9723278
>know some artists treat AA as their business, but it's NOT a business.
Lmao, what?
>>
>>9723278
>I know some artists treat AA as their business, but it's NOT a business.
wut
> Befriending AA staff to get a table is not a business tactic. It's slimy and underhanded and unfair to other artists who apply.
You understand those two thing don't have to be mutually exclusive, right? Some business tactics can be slimy. Also, you can be friends with AA staff for reasons other than getting a table. I've even made friends with someone who I didn't even know was AA staff at another con until after I applied for that con.
Being friends with and networking with staff and other artists is just general good business sense.
>>
>>9723264
There is no way in fuck a newbie artist is going to sell 20-25 prints per design. The anon polls put peoples BEST SELLING print usually around 10-15 copies. More sales would be nice. but don't tell the poor anon to double their production costs for no reason.
>>
>>9723278
You do know some for some artists AA is their full time gig that pays all their bills, right? And that to sell in AA you have to have a business license? If this business is your hobby, that's cool, it's mine too, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a business.
>>
Anyone else pissed about Tekkocon's site crashing? Same shit with AB. Do we really have to rely on social media to find the damn link to the app. If they say the app will be live at a certain time on the site, we shouldn't have to search around social media for it. How is that fair for FCFS.
All these people signed up with the Facebook link, and then they didn't actually get the site back until an hour later with it.
>>
>>9723337
Yeah seriously, wtf? Membership in AANI shouldn't be required to get the link to apply. I'm pretty sure I got in quick enough but it sucks for everyone else.
>>
>>9723337
I'm more confused than mad, but if it were a bigger con for sure people would be raging. I'm starting to feel like with the huge influx of people trying to get into every artist alley, FCFS isn't something cons can fairly use anymore.
>>
>>9723316
>>9723288
>>9723296

Artist Alley is not treated from the top down as a business. It's still treated by many cons and staff as a hobby. Having to get licenses and permits came later, in the past few years actually, when local state tax boards realized some of these artists were making money hand over fist and they wanted a cut. Many artists treat AA as a business and full time gig. But it's still not designed top down as a business and it's still not respected by staff as a business and it was not initially conceived as a business. Why do you think there are so many stories of bad cons where the artists are disrespected and mistreated? AA was originally meant for hobbyists who wanted to share their fanart. Many, many people still treat it that way and that's not a bad thing. It's ridiculous to say that everyone needs to resort to shitty business tactics to get into AA anymore. It's completely reasonable to complain that you shouldn't have to network to get into a juried con that claims to be grading on a rubric but in reality cherry picks the artists they like personally first. Why is this a wacky concept for you?

>>9723296
>Being friends with and networking with staff and other artists is just general good business sense.

The post I replied to was telling a person complaining that juried cons let their friends in that they should befriend the AA staff. They're literally saying they should befriend AA staff to get tables.
>>
>>9723356
This is only my third year applying to Tekko, which is an extremely average con at best, and in that time I've seen it go from a quick, painless, get-in-and-get-out process to... this. The era of FCFS is over.
>>
>>9721235
>fucked up on the printing? Too bad, so sad, you should have looked at the PDF proof first.

Are you.. saying you didn't look at the proof...?
>>
>>9723367
busi·ness
ˈbiznəs/
noun
noun: business

1.
a person's regular occupation, profession, or trade.
"she had to do a lot of smiling in her business"
synonyms: work, line of work, occupation, profession, career, employment, job, position; More

2.
the practice of making one's living by engaging in commerce.
"the world of business"
synonyms: trade, trading, commerce, dealing, traffic, merchandising; More
>>
>>9723337
FCFS is inherently flawed; either people in AANI get an edge with the link, or people with slow internet or who were there and had to leave don't get in, etc etc etc. FCFS is inherently unfair and always will be.
>>
>>9722719
Cons where some staff stop by and invite me to their convention and then when I apply I get rejected -_-
>>
>>9723538
To be fair, I always tell everyone I buy from to apply for my con, but that doesn't mean I have final say over the jury results or that I expect every person I like to be at the top of the jury results.
>>
>>9723367
I agree that if a con claims to be juried based on merit, they should follow their rubric. I agree it's shitty for them to put nepotism before talent. Not debating that. But shitty practices by cons doesn't stop AA form being a business. You're the one being controversial by doing your best to delegitimize and demean what is a main occupation for several people you are talking to.

Some conventions are for-profit ventures, and are businesses themselves. In these instances, they treat artists poorly because they can, and because doing so is a way for them to gain short term profits.

Some conventions are registered nonprofits, and they are not businesses. When they treat their artists like shit, it's because they're incompetent, understaffed, unqualified, or any combination of the three. Stuff like that happens in events run entirely by volunteers with no vetting process for their higher ups.

AA as a community was founded by hobbyists in a time when it wasn't feasible to be considered a primary source of income. The community has shifted in focus as it expands to marketplace not just a garage sale, and that has to be acknowledged.
>>
File: .....jpg (32 KB, 400x400)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>9722719
Artists that don't acknowledged their customers at all

I went up to a shared table between two different artists
One greeted my sister who was closer to her, but the one in front of me actively ignored me completely and just stared into space past me
it was really weird, I find out later that she's supposedly really mean so her and her dollarstore mookie copycat art style can go to hell




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.