[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: yikesbutimstillgoing.jpg (79 KB, 1353x500)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
The con is a little over a month away, figured I would make a thread to see if anyone else from /cgl/ might be going to this trainwreck. Not gonna lie, it's nostalgic as fuck but it's not good.
>>
Matt Daigle is doing his best to drive this con right into the ground and the staff isn't helping. Every year they have an entirely new staff.

As far as I know, they still don't have anyone in charge of the masq, but are accepting entries just not responding to them? It'll be an utter shit show.
>>
>>9893880
No idea about the masque specifically, but I know that the director for some of the cosplay events is the same. I'm in the craftsmanship contest and the email I got about it is the same person since I started competing at CTcon like 5 yrs ago
>>
>>9893771

in b4 toe suck
>>
>>9896907
i forgot about him. i pray i dont run into him this year...
>>
definitely nostalgia-con for me, and the only reason i think i'll be going. every year i tell myself it's the last and yet i always go back because of 12 year old weeb memories.

anyway, guess i'll give my line-up since that's generally how these threads start aside from the negativity:

fri:: Marisa - 2hu
Sat: Juliet - Granblue Fantasy

looking forward to absolutely no one knowing what character i am this year!
>>
Would be my 12th year consecutive but this is the year where I just give up on the con. Less and less things appeal to me, dealer hall gets smaller, outdoor security gets more and more intense, etc.
90% of my friends no longer attend and a 9PM at the latest cut off for the game room is awful after just attending Fanime with a 24/7 gameroom. As much as I would love to continue our fun meetups at the hotel bar; I gotta say it's a no from me dawg. I'll be going to AX instead.
>>
Lurker here. I'm finally going again after years for nostalgia purposes as well. Gonna make the best of it even if it is a trainwreck now.
>>
this is my first year not going. illness stripped my finances. pass out some bad manga buttons for me, fampai
>>
The only saving grace to this convention is the people I know who go there - I don't really have another Summer con so I go just to see me friends.

Gonna get me some cheesecake on Saturday though.
>>
I'm local, but I'm so done with CTCon. There's nothing that interests me at all, and staff just keeps getting worse and worse. So I'm not buying a badge this year. I'll be cosplaying and hanging out at Riverfest instead. Still get to see people and have fun without supporting Daigle's awful con.
>>
I'm local and I am not going. I have been saving money for AX and will give up on CTCon. Con was shit to begin with so I don't even care about skipping it.
>>
This is their program book art they just posted today. This is so hilariously awful.
>>
>>9912807
this makes me depressed.do you think that was the intent?
>>
There's a lot of things to not like about the con. For me the big ones are security and the shift towards "family friendly".

Securty urks me because they sacrifice convenience in hopes that the people who would otherwise sneak in will actually pay, which won't happen; those people will just hang around a little bit further away.

The family friendly thing urks me because kids aren't staying at the con past 9 anyways, so why can't we have more late-night 18+ panels? Is it because they treat all the adult panelists like they did Fakku? I don't get it.

Still, they're not big enough reasons to keep me from going, but this year i'll be going alone because all my friends gave up on the con. So it might be my last year just by that alone.

>>9899521
You will be missed, anon.
>>
>>9913237
I also want to add on that last year after the con I sent the daigle and his mum a letter with some recommendations (i was trying to be polite, too) and in return I got no response and was blocked by the mum on facebook
>>
Is it too late to start a cosplay for this con? I can get most of it done for sure but i'd need to make an EVA foam gauntlet. I can only work on it on the weekends and I've never worked with eva foam before. Not sure if I'm supposed to form the rough shape with the foam and then worbla around that or what the general strat is for metallic object props.

Anyone know a good seller for eva foam? Are there reputable sources on Amazon?
>>
>>9913237
Oh, the curfew isn't to be "family friendly," it's to save money.
As shown by their choice of art, they obviously aren't aiming for "family friendly" anymore.

>>9913066
It's super depressing. Whoever chose this as the program art must be high af. I could understand if this was art for Convivial, but not for the whole con.
>>
>>9913247
It's a month away, but if you're just doing a gauntlet I don't see why not.
If you don't need it to be super thick, EVA foam is just craft foam that you can get at any Michaels, Joanns, etc. You're probably better off in the general help thread, though, where more people will see your questions: >>9895715
>>
>>9912807
Do people even care about Nostalgia Critic anymore? I remember Doug being at another con like six-seven years ago and there wasn’t a crowd for him then either
>>
>>9913596
He always comes to CTCon and always has a big crowd. However, after all the Channel Awesome drama this year, I doubt many people care to see him anymore.
>>
>>9913237
The con closes at 9 cause Daigle's too cheap to pay for the space beyond that time.

Insider reports tell me the masquerade only has 13 entries. Just do a second Death Match at that point.
>>
for me its a friend con. all my friends from my hometown go. so i am entering the cosplay contest for the first time and i didnt realize that there was a due date (the 8th) as it wasnt stated for registration. i emailed the person a couple days ago and still no response. should i email them again?
>>
oh man like a lot of other seagulls here this is a nostalgia con for me. probably my 11th year going and it was my first con ever. that being said it's been depressing watching staff and daigle drive it to the ground.
my friends and i go to plenty of other cons but we always struggle to stop going to this one because it feels so personal.
all the bs with the con curfew, rave and not letting anyone even hang out on the stairs between the hotel and con after hours makes it really aggravating. i remember one year they forced the masq line outside during 90 degree weather and con staff yelled at me for sitting down when I was close to fainting from heat.
it's like every time I think it can't get worse it does. the price of the badge is absolutely ridiculous for what we get and i see the dealers room shrinking.... I just wonder how many years ctcon has left and it's upsetting to think about.
>>
>>9914094
I think its full for this year now, suprisingly; in the email i got a few days ago about my judging time they said they had a waitlist going
>>
>>9913237
Maybe I'm out of the loop, but what happened with Fakku and Connecticon??

Also the 18+ content (what's left of it) has just gone to shit, that nerd fit panel a while back was pure garbage.
>>
If you don't plan on going to ctcon, the Miku expo is going on in NYC the same weekend.
>>
>>9914691
I don't know if everything I heard is accurate so take this with a grain of salt.

As far as I'm aware they (as in con administration) were strict on fakku from the start for being 18+, and it gradually got worse with restrictions on what they could sell in the dealer's hall and all that.

So Fakku wasn't really able to make money going to the con, and I guess beyond that they were basically like "you guys are too vulgar and immature, so get lost."

I also heard that the supposed reasoning given was that they knew kids were paying adults for their wristbands and getting into the panel so they didn't want a panel that was *actually* 18+ (i.e. No nudity) and Fakku basically responded by saying "then why bother with 18+ at all" and daigle flipped a shit saying that they had no right to challenge his authority or whatever and they haven't been back since.

Again, some of that is probably just blown up after being retold several times before getting to my ears, but that's the story I know.

My response to the wristband thing is what it always is: just card people at the door--sure the line will be longer but that's the only way to make sure kids don't get in. I mean I personally know 2 people that got wristbands underage when we were in high school.
>>
I'm bringing in a couple friends from out of state and we're going, hopefully it isn't too disappointing for them given they have nothing to compare it to. But fuck the politics revolving around it, what are people looking forward to?
>>
>>9914691

After our final year working the con, we were promised by our Online Media Guest handler that we would be given a spot for next year (all verbal nothing written.)

As the con approached, the guy that handled us no longer worked for the con and no one believed that we were promised a spot even though we were given guest of honor badges the year before.

We were told that we were 'stale' and didn't bring anything new to the con (because 10ish new books a year isn't good enough I guess) so they would not be inviting us back.

Daigle said that he would be willing to have us back next year if we were to make brand new paneling JUST for Connecticon which just wasn't plausible because AX is the only con we give that kind of treatment to and is usually a week or so before hand.

There was no actual issue with us being 18+. Some other cons flip a S H I T about it but CTCon was actually super lenient and good to us while we were guests. But the con just isn't worth the hassle of making brand new exclusive content for when there is AX directly before hand.

I know the con has gone down hill with the whole lack of 18+ content and nothing to do past 9, but we were not booted or anything like that to make the con more family friendly.

>>9915046
Nah, Daigle just kinda decided that THAT year was the year to take issue with the fact that we never change our panel. He didn't care that one of his staffers told us we were working next year with the same perks, which is understandable.
>>
>>9915505
Interesting story. I kind of figured most of what I heard was blown up since the source is bitter towards CTcon but I guess it was mostly off-base.

It's super unreasonable to demand exclusive content when you're the small guy (i.e CTcon), idk why he thought they deserve something exclusive.

I think he just doesn't realize that CTCon has a rep for being more community-focused, which is to say people come to hang out not to get the latest and greatest from content creators. He wants the con to be something it isn't.
>>
>>9915689
I genuinely think daigle wants the con to be dead.
>>
>>9915716
I've heard that floating around a lot; that his contract with the convention center is up soon or something and he wants the con to die with him instead of getting passed on. Is there any basis or truth to that, or is it just speculation?
>>
>>9915967
Totally just speculation. But it’s just so believable with how down hill things have been the past years.
>>
Have any anyone who's submitted a panel hear back from the con yet? Are they doing a thing like last year where if you didn't hear from them at all it means you didn't get in?
>>
>>9915967
...Maybe? He sold the Tabletop Shop last year, and as far as I know CTCon is his only other business (I don't know if he has another job..?) but if he was looking to kind of drop everything and start anew somewhere else, I wouldn't be surprised by the way things have been going.
>>
>>9916692
He sold the tabletop shop? well that's a relief. they have such a convenient location for me, but I didn't like the idea of supporting him by shopping there. Not because he fucked ctcon but because he's mean to people.
>>
>>9917048
Yeah, last year it was sold to Haldan, who used to be involved with CTCon Main Events. It wasn't "announced" or anything, a while back some people were complaining about bad customer service at the shop & Daigle had a terrible response to it (attached, because why not, his customer service applies to CTCon as well lol). Someone messaged TTS's facebook account about it and Haldan responded saying he was the new owner.
My bf feels the same way about not wanting to shop there, bc Daigle sucks. Even though they're one of the closest card shops to us, he'll drive further to support someone better. Now that it's sold, idk how different it'll be. It's probably all mostly the same employees.
>>
>>9917379
Does Daigle not understand basic fucking customer to employee relationships? He's passive aggressively acting as if your boyfriend is in the wrong. Fuck 'em.
>>
>>9917388
Oh, the guy who posted that comment wasn't my bf. I was just adding that my bf also avoids going to the shop because of Daigle.
>>
>>9917388
But yeah, he obviously has a difficult understanding of how to treat customers... that person had a legit complaint and he apparently thought it was cool to just be like "WELP SUX FOR YOU, THIS OTHER CUSTOMER WE IGNORED YOU FOR IS HAPPY THO"
Maybe he was exceptionally awful because he was about to sell the shop and didn't care? Or maybe he really is that shitty, idk.
>>
>>9917379
Now that I think about it, I had a similar experience. Eerily similar. The cashier got a call right after I asked for some card sleeves and even though he could have been talking on the phone and ringing me up at the same time (I was ready to pay at that point) apparently it was impossible for him to multitask at the level of hitting two buttons and handing me a receipt.

I'll accept that maybe he thought it would be rude to talk and ring me up at the same time, but that phone call lasted at least 6-7 minutes.

Maybe I'll just stay away after all. I was too focused on daigle to realize the employees might be shit too.
>>
Ah, a thread with people who might be able to help me.

do you guys know of any shops in CT with a lot of cosplay-friendly materials, like EVA foam, heat guns, wigs, colored contacts, LEDs, etc.?
>>
>>9917632
There's no one-stop shop that I know of. Besides the obvious Party City, Connecticut Stage Supply in Plainville has wigs, makeup, and I think they've got contacts, but they're on the pricey side. But if you're in a pinch at the last minute and can't wait for shipping, it's useful.

EVA foam and heat guns you can just get at any craft or hardware store.

If you need leatherworking stuff, there's a Tandy Leather in Berlin over by the movie theater. I've found them to be super helpful.
>>
>>9918048
>leatherworking stuff in Berlin
THANK
>>
>>9918065
Tandy is also relatively close to a blick store if i remember correctly. They have lots of hard to find art supplies, much of which can be applied to cosplay (ex jacquard paints, smooth on, etc.)
>>
So is this con worth going to or no?
>>
>>9920104
Only if you have friends going
>>
>>9914694
Thanks for the heads up anon, I'm gonna do that instead. This con seems like a hot garbage fire.
>>
>>9912807
It Won't matter how bad the art on their Program is anymore. I think they stopped printing physical books about 2 years ago.
>>
>>9920104
Absolutely not. Unless you're really into tabletops, I guess.
>>
Convivial folks are now claiming that Hartford is totally safe, and made a video on their instagram of a guy in a Tigger kigurumi, walking through the Russian Lady, chatting with one of their bouncers and a cop, to "prove" that Hartford is safe and you won't have to worry about being assaulted in costume.

On the one hand, yes, you will probably be fine if you use street smarts and stick to the populated areas.
On the other hand, the fact that they felt the need to make this video and thought that this would be convincing that Hartford is ~so safe~ is hilarious.
>>
>>9920480
Isn't this video old? I'm pretty sure that's from two years ago, during the first year they got rid of late night panels
>>
>>9920480
Le Malloy face
>>
>>9920480
I have fun stories about saving people from the streets of Hartford after previous cons.
And by fun I mean disconcerting.
>>
>>9920483
They just posted it 1 day ago on their IG. Maybe they're reusing it?

>>9920490
Yeah, I like how in the video he specifically says "people are worried about getting mugged" as if it's totally NOT something that actually happened to a group of congoers in 2014...so safe.
>>
>>9920492
I don't know what's more embarrassing, them remaking the same stupid video or re-using said stupid video.
>>
What are everyone's cosplans? What do we think the most overly cosplayed series will be this year?
>>
>>9920892
If I can gather up the willpower to spend money on a heatgun and router i'll be doing a Clay (Xiaolin Showdown) cosplay.

Also jesus christ proper cowboy hats are expensive
>>
>>9920480
nyc anon, on a scale of Upper West side to East New York how hood is Hartford. Is it East New York in a heat wave? Brownsville "Repent because you are going to die" bad?
>>
>>9921026
You're not gonna die in Hartford, but muggings are a daily occurence and there is no "safe" part of Hartford, unlike most other big cities.
>>
>>9921012
Get the heatgun anon, its a worthy investment
>>
>>9920892
I'll be going as Jacket from Hotline Miami. Would the Marvel universe be too broad of an answer?
>>
>>9921341
marvel is always over cosplayed at ctcon, and non-weeb focused cons in general

i do expect to see a stupid amnt of infinity gauntlets tho
>>
>>9921370
Deadpools with infinity gauntlets are something that I imagine will be a common sight.
>>
>>9920892
i already said my lineup earlier, but im going as a 2hu and a mobage character. i expect the most over cosed series to either be infinity wars or some anime (bnha or darling in the franxx maybe?). idk, the cosplay scene at ctcon makes me sad because i genuinely feel like there are tons of super talented cosplayers that show up but get overshadowed by the more recent popular series. i suppose thats how it is at every con tho.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.