[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 144 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 533546534.jpg (29 KB, 512x382)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>9860418 old thread is sage

For all your cosplay questions.

unanswered questions:
>>9892274
>>9894290
>>9894328
>>9895630
>>
>>9894290
Assuming you mean ornaments on the hems and whatnot, I'd recommend just using sculpey. Spraypaint it with a metallic gold and then attach it with velcro, or just superglue it on if you don't care about machine washing.
>>
Ok so i know this is stupid but let me explain how I came to this: im making foam armor for an AX cosplay using eva foam and i have everything i need, say for a heat gun. Now im not sure if i want to go out and buy a heat gun just for this project, especially since god knows when im ever gonna use the damn thing again, so i have been considering using the stove on rhe lowest heat i can get it on to heat up rhe foam to shaping temperature. What are the chances ill burn the foam/start a fire?
>>
>>9897648
You'll burn your hands. You can use a hairdryer but it will take longer.
>>
>>9897652
Eh, might as well buy the heat gun then since i dont even own a hair dryer
>>
>>9897648
heat guns are like 10 dollars in the paint section of home depot
it's worth it to avoid hurting yourself from doing stupid shit like using a stove
>>
So I’d like to cosplay my d&d character but they are a drow. Would that be considered blackface?
>>
>>9897673
If it's literally the color black you're fine.
>>
File: morrigan.png (831 KB, 928x740)
831 KB
831 KB PNG
Planning a CFB Nurse Morrigan cosplay, but a little torn on what to do for the wig. I love Morrigan's original coloring, where her hair stays around a mint green. The figure reads more like a sky blue to me (although swatching it, it had some minty coloring in certain lighting it seems?? Idk idk.
Just not sure what would be best. I like being accurate but I think the greener tones would be more flattering on me and be more recognizable as Morrigan. If you guys have any opinions (or wig suggestions!!) I'd be super appreciative.
>>
I have a very thick head of waist-length hair. How the hell do I get this under a wig in a way that doesn't give me a killer headache after the first hour? My current approach is two braids, spiraled on either side of my head, and three wigcaps to keep it all flat-ish, but it doesn't work great and puts me in a lot of pain. I've also tried a bun (BIG BUMP in back), single braid, just sort of shoving my hair into the wig cap haphazardly, uh...

For reference, the wigs I'm trying to wear are lacefronts that are almost as long as my natural hair, so there's a lot of hair going on top of my hair in addition to my hair.
>>
File: latest.png (1.14 MB, 668x1222)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
I want to cosplay this arale but not sure where I would find what she's wearing. what is it and where can i buy it?
>>
>>9897845
cut your hair or die
>>
>>9897825
Definitely go with the mint wig. I see the mint tones in the statue too and I think it'd read better as mint for Morrigan.
>>
>>9897845
In short, section your hair off into smaller braids to displace the weight.
https://youtu.be/1tFAxdso6iI
>>
>>9895715
I just turned 30 and I'm pretty heavy and not in a good spot physically. The last few years were rough and I just'd myself pretty hard. I'm on the path to fixing it, but it will take some time, a year minimum to undo all this damage. By then I will be 31, maybe 32, and I will want to be cosplaying. What are some acceptable costumes and things for a 31 year old?
>>
>>9897966
Anything you want. Anything you're comfortable in. Dressing up as the character that makes you feel inspired, excited, confident, or all of the above is what cosplay is about. I'm astonished at how strictly planned out you have this whole biz. 31 isn't as much of a disadvantage as you're treating it. People will still be cosplaying until they're walking prunes at the ripe age of 70's and 80s.

That being said, if you're searching for mature-character ideas than I'll need an idea of what you're into to assist.
>>
I'm working on a Sailor Moon cos, and everything's going fine except I'm stuck on how I should make her brooch (the original gold version). I'm worried that anything that's easy enough for a crafting beginner to make nicely will be too heavy and weigh down the bow, does anyone have any material recommendations or tutorials on making metal looking brooches for cosplay?
>>
I'm having a little trouble on the spike detail at the end of these legs. I didn't cut them out during my initial foam cut, and I'm wondering if there's a solution to add this detail other than cutting out a tiny foam piece.
>>
>>9898251
Sculpting clay?
>>
File: Drillhm2.jpg (8 KB, 106x109)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
would a con let me bring in a power drill as part of a cosplay, or would i have to make a non-functioning prop?
>>
>>9895715
This is a shot in the dark but does anybody have those magazine scans that give advice on how to pose?
>>
Where can I find the Body Improvement Club work out outfits? I couldn't find them through googling terms related to Mob 100. Are they just normal gym uniforms sold in bulk somewhere?
>>
>>9898270
Id suggest a toy drill, otherwise this is asking for trouble.
>>
>>9898270
Depends on what con and their specific rules but more than likely no.
>>
>>9898538
The t-shirt is easy. It's a red and white ringer tee. Fruit of the Loom sells them for under $10 at Target and on Amazon. The shorts are a little more difficult. That one would require a lot of digging around to find or you could alter a pair.

And next time use a picture of the full costume, ya goober.
>>
File: 1521051958.png (124 KB, 640x688)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
Are there patterns already online for making armor, like some sort of forum/database/whatever? I don't need one that exactly fits what I'm going for as that's unlikely, but a good starting point would make making armor a lot easier.

Pic related I guess
>>
Will you be looked down upon for buying a cosplay instead of making your own?
>>
>>9898723
what you're looking for is probably in tutorials. Look at how someone like evilted does his armor and how he straps it together then modify it to that shape

>>9898851
not unless you either
1 - start judging people who made their own cosplay
2 - claim to have made parts that you didn't

the only thing that pisses me off is when people buy a babby's first cosplay and start talking shit about other cosplayers.
If your cosplay doesn't have some aspect that you did on your own (makeup, wig, prop, sewing), then most people don't want to hear to talk shit about someone else's cosplay.

it's recommended that newbies buy at least the outfit for their first cosplay and do the wig/makeup/props themselves to learn since learning everything at the same time is overwhelming.
>>
>>9898877
>not unless you either
I appreciate the response, I just didn't want to start out making the wrong move as I try out a new hobby. Would you happen to know the quality of the brand lardoo by any chance? I'm looking into an outfit made by them.
>>
>>9898889
>lardoo
I never ordered from them before but they look like a regular AliExpress company.
Most of them resell from Taobao, CosSky or some other place.
Pictures say Manles, which looks like is its own site that makes 100-500 dollar range western cosplays in addition to anime ones. There's a possibility they're just being resold from that store and marked up 20-50 dollars.

none of them look bad though.All the preview pics look much higher quality than the usual Taobao cosplays or mass produced pattern ones that people buy.
>>
>>9898895
Ahh cool! I'm really torn between buying a cosplay from two different brands. One offers a custom size order while the other does not. Unfortunately, the one that does not seems to be a much more accurate representation of the outfit and the best I've seen so far.

With that said, I tried finding the right size available for me from the brand that does not do custom sizing but to no avail. According to the measurements, I should be a small except for my height... which falls under large. I'm afraid of buying the small and having the outfit too short to wear. Especially since it's a jumpsuit sort of thing.

How would you recommend I approach this with Japanese sizing in mind? I can link the items if need be, and I apologize if I'm asking too many stupid questions. I'd just hate to be stuck with the wrong thing.
>>
>>9898974
Different anon, but:
>How would you recommend I approach this with Japanese sizing in mind?
Always buy a size up from what you need. Japanese sizing is like two sizes smaller than a US Small. If custom sizing comes at no extra charge, go for that. You can walk into any dress shop and get measurements for free (usually).

> I apologize if I'm asking too many stupid questions
You can't expect to learn something without asking questions and this is the right place to ask. You're just fine, friendo
>>
Which place sells the best Star Guardian Jinx cosplay?
>>
File: Commisar_Officer.jpg (28 KB, 340x647)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
For my first cosplay I want to do Imperial commisar from 40k. I have a lot of time to work on it, but as I am completely new to the whole makeing thing, I have no idea where to start.
>>
>>9898204
I made one out of foam and resin gems! Sanded the edges of the foam base and made a foam crescent moon. Then painted it and glued all the resin gems on. It weighs next to nothing. Lmk if you have any other questions
>>
File: 41PzsT6R8HL._SY450_.jpg (19 KB, 300x450)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>9895715
Does this shrink a lot when washed?
>>
>>9899103
What material is it made out of? In general, washing on cold and air drying or drying on a lower heat setting will prevent shrinking.
>>
>>9899111
made of Polyester and cotton
>>
>>9899128
Yeah, wash cold and dry on the least hot setting if not air drying.
>>
>>9899062
If you're not comfortable with your skill level to make it yourself then you could always buy it pre-made or commission someone to make it for you.
>>
>>9899152
I want to learn and build up my skills. I have a lot of time for trial and error, but I have no idea where to start as I am completely new to makeing my own thing. I am looking for some starting advice. From there I should be able to do things on my own, for some time at least
>>
>>9899229
That's a good attitude to have. Here's some steps to get you started.
1) Set a budget
2) From head to toe, list every component of your costume.
3) For each component, list what needs to be done and what tools/materials you would need to do it.
>Ex: The gun could be made out of cardboard, EVA foam, or a toy plastic gun. You would need paint, paintbrushes, scissors, different sizes of googly eyes, possibly a heat gun, and glue.
4) Search your house for tools, materials, and clothing
5) For the pieces that you don't already own, see what you can buy. This doesn't have to mean giving up on your wish to create it, but starting off with a jacket instead of making your own is a good place to start at your skill level. Adding those embellishments is still going to take some serious effort. It's all about balance, save time and money on certain things and focus your attention on others.
6) Start chipping away at your list until completion!
And remember that you can always come back here if you have more questions. Use all of the resources at your disposal. Google, youtube, thrift shops, ebay, etc! And good luck!

Here's a good link to get you started: http://www.cosplaytutorial.com/list.php
>>
>>9899062
>>9899229
>>9899263
In addition to this, following popular tutorial cosplayers such as Kamui cosplay (her sewing book might be of use to you) and doing research for historic/larp costume builders and tutorial will also help you.
>>
File: Lady maria.png (623 KB, 656x976)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
I want to do a cosplay of lady maria from bloodborne but I don't know how I'd make the little intricate shiny looking patterns on the edge of her coat and what I'm guessing is an undershirt.
>>
>>9897673
Be careful. Tumblrinas would be after your ass even if the color is black
>>
Which place sells the best Star Guardian Jinx cosplay?

I need it in time for AX
>>
>>9899471
Most cosplay shops use the same suppliers so it doesn't make a huge difference. A bigger issue is that if you order right now you'll get your cosplay about 3 days before AX if not after
>>
>>9899479
I'd be willing to pay extra for shipping

So they'd all be identical no matter who I bought from?
>>
>>9899499
They're not all identical but there's only up to 4-5 variations of a cosplay based on who it is. Most AliExpress or similar resellers will have a similar product.
>>
>>9899291
I've seen people use heat transfer vinyl for details like that. Alternatively, if you find some gold and black brocade you like, you can make a bias tape with it and use the same material for the undershirt.
>>
File: soul gem.jpg (46 KB, 450x600)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I'll to describe this as best as I can.

I enjoy casting things from resin for costumes but there's been a few accessories where you'll have a bezel, and then a gem that fits into it and is presumably glued after

How do you go about making the master though so you can cast them separately and get the gem to fit?

Pic is an example of what I mean
>>
File: uMPiGvs92Y0.jpg (46 KB, 500x500)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Can someone please share the books from cosplay humble bundle,i'm broke so i couldn't buy them in time.
>>
>>9899558
Dude stop begging for them. You've made two threads already.
>>
File: _MMVdyt--fU.jpg (34 KB, 653x434)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>9899565
I've made only one but ye i know,pretty pathetic.
>>
>>9899558
Stop asking. Almost all of those books are just compilations of already free information you can find on guides and YouTube videos. Also, the cosplay community isn't that big, so there's a good chance you're basically begging the people who wrote or people friends with those who wrote the books to give you a pirated copy of it.
>>
>>9899547
Make two seperate masters that fit together? I don't see the problem, as you can test the masters before you cast them.
>>
>>9899558

If you're so broke you cant afford the books, how do you think you're going to afford the materials to cosplay?

Stop being a cheapskate.
>>
File: 416Igf0S2DL.jpg (16 KB, 334x500)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
I plan on using a figure (pic related) attached to my shoulder. Any ideas on how to do it safely, since I'm scared it will fall and break? I planned on using a thin rope around her legs and down to my shoulder and around my armpit
>>
>>9899711
Wire if you wanna be extra safe, otherwise sew the legs to the shoulder of the garment using fishing line or a matching color thread. Loop around them several times and tie it tight.
>>
This thread gets more activity so I'll repost here; Is there a way to spot wash a wig? I added too much Got2B glued to my wig's bangs and now they look piecey. If so, what do I use?
>>
>>9899930
I think you can smooth out the spots with a wet sponge? (maybe lukewarm)
>>
>>9899956
That's a great idea, thank you. Hopefully I can try again and make them look better.
>>
>>9899930
Use rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle
>>
>>9900074
Will that alter the color of the wig?
>>
>>9897673
if you’re worried, go with a very dark grey instead of an actual black
>>
>>9897673
Just do a dark grey with black shading/contouring and a lighter grey as a highlighter, it allows you to have depth to your face, features tend to get really lost under dark skin paint.

>>9897851
It looks like a short kimono wrap dress to me? I don't think you'd be able to find one that looks exactly the same, you could always modify and paint on the lines.

>>9898723
http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html has some good tips on how to pattern stuff like this if I remember correctly.
>>
>>9900144
No, unless you dyed the wig
>>
>>9900476
Awesome, thank you.
>>
I have a red morphsuit lying around that I'd like to transform into 02's suit from Darling in the Franxx. Is it possible to paint it the same way I paint regular clothing or am I better starting the suit from scratch?
>>
>>9900902
Id never recommend painting but if you find a good fabric paint that doesnt flake or break when stretched and you mask off the lines you can do it. You can also use stretch iron-on vinyl (if the morphsuit can withstand an iron not sure if possible) or otherwise indeed start from scratch and sew the panels
>>
So I want to cosplay as Asuka from nge but I can’t decide on a color for a wig. I really like Cocoa Brown from Epic (pictured center) since it’s more of a brown than an orange, but I’m wondering it it’s too warm for my skin. I’m pale with warm undertone (for reference, I’m Fenty 140 like the person on the far right), and I’m wondering if this color would be ok in terms of accuracy and flattering-ness? Or is there a better color you anons would suggest? (Sorry I’m really awful at picking out colors and I just want a second opinion)
>>
>>9901019
I'm no expert when it comes to undertones; but looking off of the reference pic, the wig looks perfect
>>
>>9901019
Judging by the pic it should be good, you don't want too much contrast because it will cross the line from flattering-ness to making you look kinda uncanny doll-like.
>>
>>9899688
This. $15 for the whole bundle, less for the basic (and much of it to charity). If you can't afford that you can't afford a bolt of muslin to even pattern your costume.

Polite sage.
>>
>>9901629
>says polite sage
>bumps the thread anyways
fucking newfags
>>
Is there a way to dye spandex nicely? Bought something that came in much lighter than the display pictures. Google said the temperature poly dye needs is too high so I was wondering if there was a less conventional way. Like with sharpies or ink or something.
>>
File: skin-jhin-thumb.jpg (22 KB, 326x574)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
Working on a project Jhin cosplay. Has anyone seen a vest pretty close to this? I'll have to add the fur personally just looking for a good base to start on.
>>
>>9902705
That's a bad reference picture, it's so dark you can barely see any details. Shoulda used the in game model. Searches for "military crop/cropped vest" comes up with a bunch of stuff like pic related but to be really accurate I think you'd have to make it yourself.
>>
File: jhinturn.jpg (141 KB, 1490x496)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>9902751
In game model is not much better. Didn't know military vest was a thing.
>>
>>9902692
You can try idye poly on lower temperature (i don't think youll get a great result), or just try to dispute the order and buy something else. Plastic fibers are not easily changing in color after the fabrication process.
>>
File: 6XfQ5dF.jpg (127 KB, 1099x1368)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
Does anyone know where I can find a jacket or the shoes for a Mamimi cosplay?
Also, what fabric would be best for cutting, sewing and painting/dyeing the collar? Any help is appreciated.
>>
Does anyone have tutorials about using fishing line to hold up costume tails?
>>
>>9902768
The jacket should be easy to put together. Just use a regular navy sweatshirt and add the zipper and seifuku collar. You can buy premade from Etsy or make it yourself. Google says that a poly-cotton blend is most oftenly used. Use a khaki fabric with a burgundy trim.
Tutorial: http //cosplayblog mccall com/2015/05/28/how-to-sew-a-sailor-collar/

And as for the shoes, you can find them from a plethora of shops. Just search for penny loafers.
>>
>>9903459
Thank you anon
>>
First time touching makeup, ever.
Have a contouring palette, white/grey/black eyeshadow, foundation, concealer, primer, setting spray, and felt tip, liquid and pencil eyeliner.
Any general tips to not fuck up? Good resources to look at?

I'm a guy only really looking to do some simple cosplays like most generic looking anime MCs, just want to put in some effort when it comes to making my face look a bit nicer.
>>
File: Contouring.jpg (77 KB, 1000x600)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>9903562
If you're just looking to enhance try figuring out your face shape and what you're actually trying to change, i.e slimming down your face, nose etc.
guides like these are not perfect but can be a good place to start.
make sure your makeup order is (any skincare, i like to cleanse and moisturize) -> primer -> foundation -> conceal if necessary -> set with spray.
other then that there are a bunch of youtube tutorials for specific things
>>
File: 29749_1341175135_large.jpg (483 KB, 1056x1626)
483 KB
483 KB JPG
I've had no luck finding this sort of fabric online, so is it possible to add velvety "flocking" to a sheer, light fabric like organza or chiffon to get this ombre effect?
>>
Any tips for making stubble? I can use my stubble but that would limit the days I can wear certain cosplays
>>
>>9903830
https://youtu.be/Bw8M-wfHC9A?t=2m37s
I think adding the hairs at the end was a bit excessive. Adding some brow gel, brown eyeliner, or brown paint to the stippling brush would've had the same or a more natural effect. Definitely practice before the big day.
>>
>>9903803

Look into heat transfer material or heat transfer vinyl. Some of them you can cut by hand at home and then use an iron to press it on, but if you have access to someone/a makerspace with a laser cutter, or a t-shirt printing shop, they can do the whole thing for you instead.

There's a girl who made an Ever After High cosplay with it, but I can't seem to find her blog again.
>>
File: Untitled.png (452 KB, 832x422)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
hey guys, i'm pretty stumped and would like to ask for some help. there's a cosplay i got custom made, but there was a miscommunication with the yellow/orange color, making it appear lighter than the original design. does anyone know of a way to dye specific areas of a cosplay? does the color even look super off, or am i just being too paranoid?

i know it's a stupid mistake, but im willing to put in the effort to fix it. any help would mean a lot.

pic included for reference
>>
Working on a saw cleaver for AX and wanted to know what type of clear coat I should hit it with?

Its foam with about 4 coats of plasti dip and model masters paints?

Im thinking matte but unsure what type of clear to use.
>>
>>9904788
it depends on what type of cosplay it is. if it's an anime/cartoon cosplay then matte gives a more cartoony feel, but a more realistic metal finish is to have a shine to it.
>>
>>9904716
You're not going to be able to dye just part of a garment, especially not a back patch. If you tried to paint/sponge the dye on, there's a big chance it will soak and get to the fabric around it. I would try using painter's tape and/or contact paper to mask off the other parts of the design, then use fabric paint over just the heart to get it a more accurate color.
>>
>>9904790
Yeah I was trying to uplaod a pic by filesize was too large, had to head back to garage to take lower res pic. This is before the final red/rustgrime wash.

The weapon is from bloodborne and suposed to be super worn and dirty/bloody, i figured a gloss would make it look "cartoony".
>>
File: 20180605_204100.jpg (2.29 MB, 2880x2160)
2.29 MB
2.29 MB JPG
>>9904802
Fuck me this is what I get for only lurking and only posting maybe once a year...
>>
What's the best drugstore mascara for cosplay? Lash paradise is all the rage right now, has anyone here tried it?
>>
File: photo8-300x197.jpg (17 KB, 300x197)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>9904818
There's a couple of popular drugstore mascara brands but my personal favorite is Covergirl's Clump Crusher. The CG line has a bunch of different applicators too if this isn't your speed. Another top rec is the Million Dollar Lashes. The formula is very dark and coats very well. The applicator on the other hand is clumsy and can spider your lashes. If MDL had Clump Crusher's applicator, it'd be unstoppable
>>
File: vml.jpg (44 KB, 900x900)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>9904833
*MDL = Volume Million Lashes. Totally should've checked that before posting, sorry.
>>
>>9904818
It's not bad. It's a dupe of Too Faced's Better Than Sex mascara (I actually recommend that one to you anon but it isn't drug store though...). Essence's Lash Princess and Wet N Wild's Renegade are my personal favorites.
>>
>>9904804
It depends, if you don't want any shine to it at all, you don't have to use a clear coat on it. In my experience though I used to use the chalked clear coat from Rust-Oleum which gave me a flat finish to it. There was still some shit to it but it wasn't super shiny. If you don't want any shine to it then you should probably go with matte. No nobody can make the decision for you, and it's not going to make or break a prop if it doesn't have the right finish to it unless you're a master cosplayer in a competition
>>
>>9904833
>>9904834
Thank you! My natural lashes have very little curl/curve to them so I need something that can keep them in place after curling/applying mascara.
>>9904836
I have the waterproof version (it's expired by now), should I just spent the extra few bucks and get the mini size of BTS instead of lash paradise?
>>
>>9904716
You can't really trust dyeing stuff in segments like that - you can soak tiny parts over and over I guess? Painting could work but probably would look rough, might be worth trying on a hard to see spot like under the arms to see if the color works out.

The only way to actually do what you're asking is to seam rip all the parts you want to dye out and then replacing them. That's possible, of course, but is a huge pain and frankly pretty damn tricky to reassemble looking okay, let alone good.
>>
what is lighter between plasti-dip or epsilon for use on eva foam?
>>
File: Kat.jpg (599 KB, 3284x1920)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
Sewing newbie here, is it feasible to hand sew Kat's "romper" or should I just buy an $80 beginners machine? Lost the faq for which machines cgl recommends for beginners tho, currently eyeing the Brother XM2701.
What patterns are available online that are similar to her suit? If I'm better off self making the pattern from scratch is this video a useful resource? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oaQn6MLbps
>>
>>9904976
plastidip
>>
>>9904976
Probably plasti dip, but unless you are laying the epsilon down thick the weight is negligible. If it’s armor go plasti dip, if it’s a prop go epsilon.
>>
>>9904983
Get a machine, especially if you plan on cosplaying again. For the same sewing quality a machine takes 1/10 the time, looks neater and pays for itself in time saved.
The easiest way I can see your romper being functional is if you built it over a good strapless bra. I think something like this shitty ms paint draw could work? Just flare the legs to your liking and make them a few cm longer. Green is elastic to gather the legs into a puff. Definitely recommend you make a mockup out of cheap fabric first though.
>>
File: Franzygk.png (375 KB, 503x741)
375 KB
375 KB PNG
What's the best way to keep her top closed? I was thinking maybe a fuckton of snaps along the edge but that sounds really inefficient.
>>
Is there a way to keep worbla adhered to a working surface while I'm using it to cover something, or do I just keep moulding it and reheating it until it covers enough that it stays on?
>>
I've been planning out how to do Tenya Iida's hero outfit, but the muffler over the abdomen stumps me on how to do it properly.

Some other cosplays look like they heat gunned some pool noodles or something, and one just kind of created the muffler itself from the ground up. I got no clue so far.
>>
>>9905340
You only need snaps at the points, anon
>>
>>9904793
yeah, i had a feeling it was going to be difficult due to the possibility of dye leaking or being splotchy. i intend to use painters tape to go over the heart area, since its small and more easy to tackle. i'm not super experienced with dyeing so i'm not sure if its even worth it to attempt to dye the sides.

>>9904895
using painters tape and the above method anon mentioned was what i was going for, but id obviously have to test it out. a friend of mine mentioned that its possible to use food dye as well, but i'd have to look into the legitimacy of that

i have almost no experience with sewing, so taking it apart would probably do more harm then good, sadly.

either way, i appreciate the responses. if anyone else has any suggestions or experience doing this, please let me know. ive looked across google, youtube, and older forums and found nothing

that being said, the character im cosplaying isnt really popular at all (dont think anyone's ever cosplayed him outside of japan, actually). so i'm wondering if perhaps i'm worrying too much about the color difference? i just don't want it to look tacky (the jacket itself is made of high quality sports material and i do plan on fixing the heart area, etc)
>>
>>9905627
It's really not worth ruining the high quality work for. No one aside from you is going to notice the difference.
>>
>>9905555
Pvc pipe maybe? Or you could shape worbla over pvc pipe
>>
File: Fafnir1.jpg (32 KB, 800x450)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Good way to make these tiny glasses and keep them attached?
>>
>>9905793
they actually have glasses like that already made. they just sit a bit tight on your nose iirc
>>
File: 1497124026085.png (118 KB, 404x404)
118 KB
118 KB PNG
>>9905817
should i just check like a costume shop or like an actual optometrist lol?
>>
>>9905817
look up "pince-nez" at least thats what they are technically
>>
File: ShioDress.png (1.9 MB, 1158x1280)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB PNG
What kind of Patterns should I look for to make this outfit? I got under a month to try to sew this. Its probably gunna look very amateurish but hey it was a last min decision and I cant get it made before then so its on me. The shorts should be easy, ill be adding pockets into the shorts and the side things I dunno where to start with those as well.
the vest and the side thingsy are what I really need help looking for a decent pattern.
Thank you in advance.
>>
>>9905931
Vests are super simple to sew, just modify pic related to your needs. The side flaps are pretty much just a high low skirt split in two and there's an infinite number of pinterest diy tutorials for those.
>>
File: 1349128495514.gif (72 KB, 287x344)
72 KB
72 KB GIF
>>9905835
thanks!
>>
File: 100MEDIA_IMAG0736.jpg (97 KB, 1600x957)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>9905821
Sorry, I was out when I replied to you. They're called Pince-Nez. Just checking on amazon, I found a bunch of different ones, but you can just search "pince nez" and find something that will suit your cosplay best!
>>
>>9905936
Thank you!
Oh What kind of material do you think would be best for it? Im guessing a light weight cotton since itll be worn in the july heat in L.A.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (17 KB, 204x247)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
Noones at the house.im going to do my first ritual today. It's going to summon the soul of kefka Palazzo into my heart. I've got a bunch of candles my cauldron to create a small herbal potion a small knife disguised as my asthame and will cut the circle n (nihilism) into my skin as I'm drunk with loud clown music over me...I will be god...I already have "him" around me ever but now I'm soul bonding with him.

Anyway my question is this...how hard would it be to do makeup like kefka? I am a real man so I've never work women's clothing and only love my tulpa
>>
How do you reckon I could go about making this hat? I'm going to use bias tape for the stripes and nice upholstery buttons for the dots, I think, but I'm wondering how I'm gonna make it head-shaped. I know you can make a sort of "unfolded sphere" but I think that might have too many visible seams...
>>
>>9905331
Thank you so much for this resource, I'll definitely take your advice and get the sewing machine. I was planning on starting with walmart cotton first.
>>
File: spera1[1].png (19 KB, 351x212)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>9906031
Maybe make a saran-wrap template of my head, draw the diamonds, then cut them? Just want to make sure I'm not over-complicating it, it's a popular costume so I'm sure it's been done before.
>>
>>9905749
Some use pvc from what I have seen but those who do never get the big muffler wings on the back sadly. That and I don't want to whack anybody in the face with pvc pipes whenever I pivot around in crowded areas. It is an option though. Worbla is a good recommendation too.
>>
>>9905555
I like the pool noodle as a starting point. What if you did this:

1. Sculpt pool noodles using a hot knife
2. Form them into the initial ¯\___/¯ shape
3. Glue them together
4. Form the lot into a U shape to go around your body
5. Use some kind of flexible filler to plug the holes in the porous foam
6. Paint
>>
File: 20180607_005543_1.jpg (723 KB, 1000x1776)
723 KB
723 KB JPG
how would I go about removing the letter on this varsity jacket? should I take it to a seamstress or something?
>>
File: SEAM-RIPPER-SMALL[1].jpg (15 KB, 500x500)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>9906079
Seam ripper. Might see the outline of it afterwards though.
>>
>>9899100
Sory anon, but this looks like an elementary school child made it.
>>
>>9905409
You can try spray glue, I should try this myself desu.

>>9905555
I'd make a pepakura pattern into eva foam shapes but that's not for everyone i guess.

>>9906031
Look up how you make a helmet pattern, basically you wrap yourself in foil (avoid your face) then tape painters tape all over it (masking tape), ask someone to carefully cut it open and you have a head pattern. Use stretchy fabric to avoid as many seams as you can. You can also look up hoodie patterns and take the hood, then slim it down a bit and use stretchy fabric.
>>
>>9906106
>>9899100
I hope that photo was before sanding because those edges are really fucked. That ty pe of foam can be cut smooth with scissors too... Doesn't matter as long as it looks good covered in paint though. Lazy mans way of getting small round stud shapes like that can be done with googly eyes.
>>
>>9906367
The foam is clearly not sanded yet at the taking of that photo
>>
>>9905749
watch what you're suggesting anon. Someone is going to take your advice and try to heat + bend PVC pipes without the proper precautions and die.

As a note, heating PVC makes Chlorine gas, which if you aren't ventilating the room or wearing a respirator when you do it, you're going to die or do severe damage to yourself
>>
>>9906381
the additions are already on it though, generally you would finish the base first before you start adding anything onto it.
>>
>>9906400
It releases hazardous compounds, and should be done outside, yes, but in no way shape or form would it release enough chlorine to kill you
>>
Would painting existing shoes work for something like this or is that a retarded idea
>>
>>9906443
>Would painting existing shoes work

Yes, you might want to look into acrylic paint designed for painting leather / shoes. I heard this type of paint is stretchy; this is important because otherwise the constant flexing of the shoe material as you walk will cause the paint to crack and flake.
>>
Will hot glue stick to a plasti-dipped surface? I'm trying to attach velcro onto foam armor and I'm not sure whether I need to glue it on before I coat it and cover it in masking tape or something.
>>
>>9906546
>Will hot glue stick to a plasti-dipped surface?

Why don't you test it on a scrap piece? My instinct is that it won't work very well because I've had Plastidip separate / peel off EVA foam before when I started pulling on it.
>>
>>9906546
Refer to evilted for strapping armor, but it's usually recommended you sew Velcro to a strip of webbing, make a few cuts on the armor right where the webbing is going to be, then glue them together
>>
>>9906401
They weren't glued on in this photo, just placed on for sizing/to see what it would look like. I made this like a year ago, and posted it to try and help someone, but thanks for trying to help anyways?
>>
How would I go about sanding and shaping the white part around the orb. Planning on using foam, particularly stumped about how to get that shape around the blue gem part
>>
Got my hands on a trenchcoat for an outfit, but the color is more of a tan green than military green. Should I try, or if anyone knows a way, to dye it because it is polyester and I hear it is not that very easy or successful to do.
>>
>>9906802
dying synthetics is much harder and requires hotter temps.
>>
Scrambling to make a backup prop after my main one was broken at my last con, how possible would it be to maybe heat up and shape some colored plastic folders in an attempt to do something similar to pic related? Or are there any materials I could get from somewhere like Home Depot that would work instead? Worse comes to worse I’m sure I could always rig something up with a bit of wire to keep it’s shape.
>>
>>9905746
that's true. thanks for your input man. i'm just gonna work on tidying up the back part then.

much appreciated!
>>
>>9906977
isn't it the plastic folders that are used in the pic? i'm pretty sure it's do-able with the plastic folders.
>>
>>9898625
Oh wow I feel silly. I was able to find the shirt no problem. The shorts are red with white stripes which Fruit of the Loom doesn't make but Amazon has many choices available.

Thanks ~
>>
I've got a dark suit but I need to add wide white stripes on it. Tried tape, not a good idea... Any advice? Fabric Paint? Is there anything that would work decently?
>>
>>9907030
>but Amazon has many choices available.
Oh that's good news! I really only searched the first page.

My pleasure, anon
>>
>>9907121
I don't have personal experience with it, but people have asked similar questions for different characters. Apparently painting bias tape is the way to go.
>>
>>9906687
To get a realistic effect, you really wouldn't. It'd be better to get two sets of plastic balls (diy christmas ornaments would probably be useful) in two sizes and use diluted paint on them to give them the sheer look. Sand a divot for them to sit in and attach a plastic or leather strap on top of them.
>>
>>9906400
>>9906405
Jesus fucking christ. Thanks for the safety notice, anon.
>>
>>9907121
Use painters tape to tape off vertical lines of the black, and then use white fabric paint to paint in between the lines. When it was all done drying, take the tape off and then you will have your black and white stripes. It will probably take a while though Lol
>>
>>9904716
I think your best bet would be to rip the seams (or ask a favor of an experienced friend to do so) of the yellow pieces and dye them, and then sew them back in. Might make the cosplay a touch smaller though.
>>
>>9906977
>>9906983
it's dyed transpart. I would go to a fabric store and get some colored mesh and glue that around a plastic bulb (found at michaels etc) with the fairy lights in it)

>>9907166
It's really no danger to be honest lmao.
>>
>>9895715
Is there an online archive for sewing patterns anywhere? I want to make a denim jacket but no one sells sewing patterns of those for men anymore and all the ones i've found for sale online are not in my size.
>>
>>9906443
You could make shoe covers out of white vinyl, paint them, and then temporarily stick em on with staples or something. It'd give a bit of leeway and if you fuck up you wouldn't destroy the shoes.
>>
>>9906546
Adhesive-backed velcro will tear off of most surfaces, but you can superglue it on and it will fuse. I've done it with plastidipped shit and it will permanently bond through the plastidip to the underlying material since superglue will just solve the rubber.
>>
>>9907379
Did you look at all? KwikSew 3251 is one, there's a couple on etsy that come up by googling "men's denim jacket pattern."
>>
>>9906977
If you have art supply stores around you, you can probably buy thin acrylic sheets there. They're not as moldable as transpart and like to revert to the original form (flat) but will do in a pinch. You just have to be a bit more stubborn with the shaping.
>>
>>9907587
yes, and 3251 isn't available anywhere and the ones on etsy are either
a. made for a medium or larger
or
b. actually women's patterns
>>
I need to find a 4 ft piece of cardboard tubing (or piece i can cut to 4 ft) thats an inch in diameter, Ive tried michaels, hobby lobby, joans, walmart and lowes (all i have nearby), anybody got reccomendations on where i can get some? (Hopefully i dont have to order any online)
>>
This isn’t cosplay specific because it’s not a ready made character, but I’m trying to create a creature costume that has 4 arms. I’ll be putting long sleeves on it so all I really need to worry about is it’s hands and general shape of the arm. It’s very important that it looks very natural (ie not a costume), if it’s going to look like I slapped some arms on someone then I’ll give up on the idea. I’m not sure what to search for online, are there any characters people can think of that do have more arms and might have been cosplayed before?
Thank you.
>>
File: Oropo_face.png (580 KB, 1280x720)
580 KB
580 KB PNG
I need serious help with this wig as I don't know where to even start. Should I add foam to the base to make it stick up like that? How would I go about doing an altered hairline like that? I'd appreciate it.
>>
Is Arda's Silky line actually better than the Classic one? I heard the Silky wigs had issues in the past and I wanted to know if they are worth it now.
>>
>>9907629
That sounds difficult to find. Why not use 1" diameter PVC or plastic pipe from a hardware or home improvement store?
>>
File: Cuffed Boot.jpg (292 KB, 1200x1200)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
Can someone help me figure out how to replicate this sort of flap on a boot? I need to put a brooch on mine to finish my cosplay. I tried to look for something similar and then work from there but all of them had laces, which I don't want.
>>
>>9907629
I'd honestly check places that use big rolls of paper or fabric and ask if they have any discarded cardboard tubes. You'd just have to ask someone working there, who would probably have to get a manager or something, but fabric shops, butchers, printers even supermarkets might be able to help.
>>
>>9907730
Honestly almost all prosthetic arms looks really wonky in one place or another, usually due to weirdly rounded joints, lumpy filling and especially blobby hands/fingers. The only ones I've seen look really nice were mannequin arms but with many arms that could get really heavy. You might be able to get away with hollow arms and just mannequin hands? Pic related is by valentinachan on DA. Some multi armed characters I've seen around are Sardonyx from SU, Muffet from Undertale and Usui from DMMD. All three fandoms are pretty cancerous though so idk how quality the cosplays will actually be.

>>9907840
It just looks like half a cone laid over an ankle boot? You'd need to match the material to the base shoe though so I suggest stretch pleather boot covers. The stiff flap can be achieved by wrapping fabric over thin Eva foam, sewing/glueing it to the base shoe and adding your closure of choice.
>>
>>9908236
Thanks so much! It’s most important that they look lifelike, if they won’t look realistic then I can’t do it. No sausage fingers for me. The example you’ve posted looks amazing but also not polished enough for what I’m looking for.
I’ll have a look for cosplays and see how it looks. It’s only 2 extra arms set slightly below and back from the human pair, I’m looking in to using motors and an arduino controller to create a sense of lifelike movement, ie the fingers will twitch or an arm can move or something...
It’s a real challenge but I want to do it.
>>
>>9895715
What are some good sites to make friends, talk about cosplay techniques, and post pictures these days? I remember Cosplay(.)com but I haven't seen anyone mention it in years. The cosplay Amino was much better than every other Animo I've tried, but I can't get used to format. World of Cosplay seems to be only about pictures. Thanks in advance.
>>
File: phoenix2.png (8 KB, 262x187)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
I've been thinking on how to replicate Phoenix's hair, i saw a tutorial in deviantart but the wig just looked awful. Any ideas? (i'm new on this if you didn't realize already hehe)
>>
>>9907764
>Should I add foam to the base to make it stick up like that?
You can. There’s tons of tutorials on youtube about how to do that. You’d basically be using large bulb-shape pieces of styrofoam or sanding the right shapes yourself. Alternatively, you could use hairspray and a hair dryer to tease out the hair. Pinning your wig to a wig head and flipping it upside down while doing this would greatly add to the volume too. (https://youtu.be/NFgKmfqHUvI)
>How would I go about doing an altered hairline like that?
That’s called a widow’s peak. It’s easier than it looks and you can even buy wigs that come with it already. If your wig of choice does not have one, you can create it yourself by using a piece of fabric and wefts like so; https://youtu.be/KawyKswlKRY or a lace front and wefts like so; https://youtu.be/vRbP7omAs-s
>>
>>9908304
What if you cast your arms in liquid latex or something. Latex probably isn’t the right material but the word elludes me right now. Essentially, you’d be layers the fake skin over the mechanics and stuffing them with whatever you see fit (and not flammable I’d imagine). There’s a cosplayer who just made hydraulics for a working iron spider costume, but the instructions aren’t in english. The key to making them lifelike would lie in the way your cast and paint them, I’d imagine
>>
>>9908359
Hairspray, a hairdryer, and got2beglued. There’s plenty of youtube tutorials on characters with hairspikes like any character from Yu-Gi-Oh. Or foam spikes and wefts
>>
File: Gentlehair.png (334 KB, 761x440)
334 KB
334 KB PNG
Cosplaying Gentle and I know nothing about wig styling. Anyone know how to style a wig like his hair? And what could I do about his beard?
>>
I know this sounds like a dumb question, but is spray paint actually safe to use for cosplay? Even after it dries, it gives off an odor for months, and I can't imagine that's really okay to be breathing in all day when wearing the costume. That being said, if I were to use acrylic paint, is there a way to make it shiny like spray paint?
>>
>>9908474
You're going to want a lacefront wig, because of the exposed hairline. I'm sure you can find a tutorial for a beard on google.
>>
>>9908793
clear glossy varnish? its fine. Or metallic paints
>>
File: 2017-02-07 (22)2.png (560 KB, 657x785)
560 KB
560 KB PNG
Does anyone have a material recommendation for this rocket launcher? I was going to use foam floor mats, but the thing is so large and bulky I think the foam will end up floppy and twisted. Also there a several thinner details like the pistol grip and the sight that would probably be too pliable if made with foam.
>>
>>9908891
XPS foam/styrodur is more bulky, or you could use an eva foam box pattern instead of layering it (so hollw inside)
>>
>>9908793
>I can't imagine that's really okay to be breathing in all day when wearing the costume.
As long as you aren't locking yourself into a closet less than 24 hours after spray painting, it is okay. The aerosols will quickly disperse into the air into undetectable concentrations just by walking around or even standing in a large room.
>>
>>9908367
Should i use a long wig?
>>
Might not be the wrong thread, but where can I even find events to attend? I'm from Switzerland
>>
>>9909444
Get a base with an approximate length you want then get a second longer wig or wefts of the same color to build up

>>9909486
Animecons.com has a list of European conventions
>>
Does anyone know where I can find glasses for my Tsumugi Shirogane cosplay? Thanks in advance y'all :)
>>
>>9909780
The glasses store
>>
File: kongo-sensei_16217.jpg (50 KB, 528x528)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
I'm planning to cosplay as this sad gem monk. Any advice for using a bald cap?
>>
Not the usual type of question for these threads, but when a guy holds his phone right at chest level instead of looking into it when taking a cosplay photo, should I be concerned?
>>
>>9910027
It depends on how close he was. A lot of people hold their phones chest level at a certain distance to get everything in frame centered in frame so there's not a huge bit of space above or below you to crop.
>>
>>9910027
>but when a guy holds his phone right at chest level instead of looking into it when taking a cosplay photo, should I be concerned?

No, since most guys are taller than girls, he might be trying to take a photo of you that doesn't make it seem that you are really short.
>>
>>9908897
>XPS foam/styrodur is more bulky
What about durability? Isn't this foam very easy to deform just from accidentally hitting it?

>or you could use an eva foam box pattern instead of layering it (so hollw inside)
I thought about this, but the box would be so large that the foam box would end up floppy, unless there is some kind of internal reinforcement.
>>
>>9909808
You're right, how could I have been so blind?
>>
>>9909780
Search ‘small rimless oval glases’
>>
I'm making a FFXIV Miquote cosplay and I need a wig AND ears to help make it work.

Have you cosplayed as a miquote or do you have experience with ears like this with wigs?

Enjoy a picture of the game's director YoshiP with a nice example of what I'm going for.
>>
>>9910255
What exactly do you need? How to attach the ears to the wig? Making the ears? Where to buy the wig? Can't help much if we don't know what you need help with. But, use alligator clips or a headband beneath the wig that the ears screw into or something to attach them. There's a fuckton of fake ear tutorials out there too.
>>
>>9910296
I suppose what I could do would be to buy a wig and to form the ears out of some material and then attach the hair to the ears to make some cat ears. It seems like the option that makes the most sense.

For this instance, what kind of materials could I use to form into an ear that I could attach or drape over the shape of the ear. Thank you for such a good question.
>>
>>9910347
Well most tutorials use craft foam for the base and fake fur. This tutorial is very simple and similar to what you need: https://glory-chan.deviantart.com/art/Cat-Inuyasha-tutorial-Ears-287102881
They're small so clips are more than enough to hold them on.

This one is for using wig fibers to make the ear itself: https://aminoapps.com/c/cosplay/page/blog/how-to-make-ears-with-wig-fibers/vbUn_unQ0NoZ0zpBVjLkGP11eW6ogn
I don't know why they thought tacky glue was a good idea for everything but use hot glue for everything except the hair and save yourself a fuckton of trouble.

About 5 minutes of googling could've told you all that though.
>>
>>9910255
https://evil-siren.deviantart.com/art/Cosplay-FFXIV-Miqo-te-Ear-Tutorial-454419559
>>
>>9910255
>>9910347
foam or felt then fur glued over it. if you can find felt in the right inner ear color you only gotta glue it over the outside
By sewing in a little half moon patch on the bottom you have the shape + you have a space to sew a wig clip to the ear, which you can then slide into your wig with no damage.
Like anon said, there's tons of ear tutorials out there i'm not fuckin sure why you had to ask here like a clueless moron
>>
File: 38Otxau.png (687 KB, 1920x1080)
687 KB
687 KB PNG
has anyone seen a watch that looks as close to this one as possible? im not that crazy about accuracy for this cosplay but i thought it would be cool to have a matching watch as the character
>>
When I made a test glove with some armor on it, the entire thing ended up collapsing and kind of ruining the whole thing.

How can I keep the armor from getting too messed up after I glue it on? Do I just need to get some better glue for it?
>>
>>9910700
what did you make the armor out of?
how did it get messed up exactly? did the pieces bend or just plain fell off?
also, what kind of fabric did you make the glove out of?
>>
>>9910720
I should have included this...

2mm Eva foam and spandex glove.

What ended up happening is after I removed the glove, it looks like the spandex snapped back to its original size. Nothing fell off, but they did shift enough to require me fixing it againw hen I put it back on.

So I think the fix would be a slightly larger glove, and a better glue to attach the foam?
>>
>>9909632
>Get a base with an approximate length you want then get a second longer wig or wefts of the same color to build up
You could do that or at the least get a medium length wig. Here's two of Arda's that are pre-teased to be great for high spikes like you'll need.
Jareth: https://www.arda-wigs.com/products/jareth-classic?variant=27836568198
Malinda: https://www.arda-wigs.com/products/malinda-classic?variant=2466726084620
>>
>>9910599
If it's too difficult to find both the square watch face and light blue strap, you could buy one that has the right face and make the strap yourself. Might be cheaper that way too
>>
>>9910730
gluing stuff to spandex isn't really easy.
sounds like the change in size of the glove between being on and off your hand is too big, so yeah you could use a bigger glove to try and keep the stretch minimal.
if you're not already using it, i recommend fabric glue. also, when you're gluing stuff down, don't apply the glue to the entire armor piece, instead do it in points so that the spandex isn't all caught up in the glue and can expand without too much restraint.

something else you can use is velcro. instead of gluing the armor onto the spandex, you can hand stitch velcro onto the spandex at a few points and glue the other side onto the armor. this way there is less "hold" on spandex fabric and it can stretch.

basically, let your spandex stretch!
>>
>>9910874
Not OP but that's great advice
>>
I need to make a seifuku in a week. Who here can tell me how to make clothes?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (210 KB, 1920x1080)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>
>>9911428
I'm cosplaying as labcoat Mercy, would a red lip be too bold/not in character? Should I just stick with a nude to be more like the in-game model?
>>
>>9911431
Just do natural lips... nude would look bad because it's obvious here that she has lips, it's just the lighting making it look weird
>>
>>9911418
Google ya dumb fuck.
>>
>>9911418
if you don't already know how to make it, then it's too late. About 2 weeks would be what an experienced cosplayer would take to sew a simpler outfit like that if they took their time. Someone learning can't make it by then and it's too late to order from china.

honestly, get a time machine or save it for the next con
>>
>>9911472
>If they took their time
2 weeks is like sewing one seam a day level of speed. In a rush, it takes 2-3 days of consistent work for a decent end product, less if you half ass it. Anon has no experience so they're kind of fucked either way but it's nowhere near impossible.
>>
Does anyone have any good recommendations for where to get some soft leather/vinyl in the pink colour? I looked at a bunch of stores online and they either have a garish hot pink or a bunch of "pink leather" that is closer to a peach colour. I live in Canada so that may add a layer of difficulty to sourcing some fabric. Or should I just try to find a nice leather with the right texture and dye it myself? Does anyone with experience with leather dyeing think this would work?
Also, is everyone ready for the incoming Kingdom Hearts hype?
>>
>>9911502
I'm assuming they're drafting a pattern and sewing the whole outfit, 2 weeks may be a bit much to say but I'm just trying to drive the point home that it's not going to happen, and even experienced crafters would be hard pressed to finish it.
>>
>>9911428
Peachy color a couple of shades darker than your skin tone. Pic is not nude.
>>
File: hischestrig.jpg (123 KB, 961x831)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
What kind of boots are there that I can find that are similar to his?
>>
File: F941a3z.jpg (106 KB, 720x960)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
I'm planning to make this same idea but what kind of vest does he have on? I was trying to think of some harness or something to attatch her to me and I couldnt think of anything. So if anyone has a good alternate idea, I'm all ears.
>>
>>9911418
Google Yumi King for a quick and crappy one. Then plan better next time and give yourself way more time to make a non-crappy thing.
>>
would you get flak for cosplaying something youre not a fan off?

im a guy and i find all the onmyoji kimonos absolutely stunning, i want to wear one though that might put me in the same level as thr harleys and dvas(minus the bad costume/fatness)

tbf i doubt anyone in the uk fucking knows this to begin with, theyll prolly mistake me for a homo ranbu fan
>>
>>9911655
Nah. Just be straightforward about it if asked but generally if other people don't know the series the most they'll ask is "what are you from". You might get disappointed looks but very few people are actually autistic enough to rag on someone irl for not playing the source.
>>
I’m looking for just the Kankuro hat part of his outfit, but everywhere I look they only sell his entire costume. Anyone know where I can find what I’m looking for? Thanks!
>>
>got costume from ali but thought i could get a cosplay wig in the uk
>bad idea, wont take my card and china will take too long

ok, can a real wig be fine for this? it seems just like a ponytail and some bangs on it so would a regular wig store be fine?

wish i knew a celeb with a somewhat similar hairstyle.

do i just get a regular mediumish wig then use a clip on to make it 100x easier?
>>
File: beepboop.png (51 KB, 275x309)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
Been trying to style a wig for a Phos cosplay but it's hard to get the "shine" that all the gems have.
I've read some tips o using pvc. But even though it's a good color, the general lighting of a room or the regular outdoors lighting gives it a rainbow/camelon-like effect. So the end result isn't good enough.

Is there anything else i can try out or any way i can still use the pvc but somehow cancel out the lighting effect?
>>
>>9911590
probably a motorcycle vest, just make your own harness with nylon straps and rings or some shit

>>9911655
Do some research to your character but really no need to be super familiar with it

>>9911818
ask the sellers if they will sell the hat

>>9911873
buy a regular wig with clipon from coscraft or anywhere else
>>
>>9907786
Not sure if you're still looking for an answer, anon, but yes, they are. In the past they looked really cheap, now they have the same look but a better texture/less tangling. Keep in mind the heat resistance isn't as high, though.
>>
I want to make this dumb hair loop. I tried using the wire/packing tape method but it was hideous so I trashed it. What's a better, simpler way to make this? I saw a good solution for a Nurse Joy cos a few progress threads ago, but my dumb ass forgot to save it and I don't want to look through the archives.
>>
>>9912247
Thin clear plastic strips, like blank laminated plastic pockets if not just straight up using those.

Covered on either side so it's hidden, it won't really show through, still gives that natural hair look and shouldn't move around too much if properly bound at both ends.
>>
>>9895715
I'm retarded and I missed this thread
>>9912356
>>
File: jt_jtp-101.jpg (40 KB, 248x248)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
Anyone know how to paint superhero logos onto/into Lycra or Spandex?

Found Allure Adhesive Paint, which says it's flexible and adhesive but I'm not sure if there's a better alternative out there :\

Any ideas?
>>
>>9910811
Thank you!
>>
>>9912399
stretch iron-on vinyl (printable or not)
>>
>>9912391
pvc piping and connectors commonly found in electrical/water departments in construction stores
>>
>>9912378
Thanks anon, but this will give me the same issue where the hair either isn't sticking to it or is lumpy af. Further instruction required.
>>
>>9911877
Well problem is that lapiz lazuli is pretty much opaque and doesnt really have any shine beyond the gold. Doing that PVC trick doesnt really work in this instance. Youd be better with a nice blend of dark blue fibers
>>
>>9911877
Shit screencap I grabbed from an instagram story but if you look up Kitsurie her phos wigs are pretty solid. I don't think you can remove/cancel out iridescence but window tint or plastic binders aren't very expensive and look nice enough.
>>
>>9912701
Just glue a layer of wig hair directly to it to give a foundation, then patiently layer and hair spray the rest of the hair onto those for support. If it’s coming out lumpy, that’s more a matter of needing to practice and improve your skill than it is an issue with the technique.
>>
>>9912399
You have an alternative suggestion, but I need to stress to not use what you have posted here. “Dimensional Design” is puff paint.
>>
>>9912763
Thanks anon. What kind of glue should I use for the base layer? Regular white glue? Wood glue? I think it'd be best if I could brush it on and spread it.
>>
What kind of pants would be suitable for a male version of casual Mordred? Should I just go with dark, close-fitting jeans? I feel like jean shorts or capris would look kinda jenky, especially since I'm using a long sleeve raglan tee for the top.
>>
File: 61wnhBMKD-L._SX679_.jpg (50 KB, 679x581)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
How would I go about making the wings? Especially the top part, where it overlaps the bottom parts of the wing.
>>
>>9913068
Stuff it and then topstitch the detail lines in
>>
How in hell should I attach this curl to the base wig? I’ve considered a headband and wire but I know glue won’t work because it’s gonna weight too much. It’s green foam, duct tape, wefts and a looot of hot glue and hairspray.
>>
>>9912835
the same kind of shorts could work.
Or short jeans shorts
>>
>>9913434
Needle and thread? Cmon, brain, use it.
>>
>>9913498
you didn’t even read their post.

>>9913434
i would put some heavy fabric underneath for the support you need, if it’s too heavy put a small towel in the wig for cushion. you could bolt it in or sew it in with some silimide or other heavy duty thread
>>
This question is kind of dumb but what’s the amount it costs around (for yarn) to knit a hat? I’m interested in getting a welsh wig, and the woman who makes them also sells a pattern for it. I’ve never made a hat but the pattern reviews say that it is not too hard.

I’m just not sure if I’d be paying around the same to attempt to make it compared to having it done professionally.
>>
>>9913601
If you asked somebody to make it for you and you provide the yarn they might charge 20-30. The yarn price depends on how nice. Maybe $10 for a big bundle. A yarn with the knit that small would take weeks or a month. And more money and time.
>>
File: IMG_20180219_120641.jpg (2.79 MB, 3036x4048)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB JPG
>>9912247
That was me! Find a plastic object in the size of the hair loop you want. Dilute some wood glue with a little bit of water and brush it on over the hair, wrapping the hair around the plastic object. I'll link the tutorial this weekend.
>>
What's the easiest way to make a mold for thermoplastic like pic related? I need to make a bunch of long thin pieces, maybe with a wire embedded down the middle.
>>
Asked the larp thread already but figured I'd ask here for some extra info. Does anyone know where to get clone trooper armor patterns? I know Mando mercs has Mando armor but I want to start with some swanky clone trooper armor first.
>>
>>9907178
[first of all, sorry this reply is so late, i dont check this thread as much as i should lmao]

i'll admit that im willing to do that, but like i said before, i have no experience sewing and would rather not ruin something that i paid good money for. none of my friends make their own cosplays, either; id be willing to pay someone a decent amount to do it, though (...but im not sure where id go or who i'd ask to do that?)

like the other anon said, it's not like anyone would really notice, but i am someone who likes accuracy, so its been irking me a bit. i thought about fabric markers but i doubt it'll do much aside from touching up the area in the back
>>
>>9913820
make one piece, press it in a block of clay and you have a mould (unless its gotta be 2 part then you should just make them individually really)

>>9913830
501st groups?

>>9913916
Check cosplay commission fb groups if you want someone to do it for you
>>
>>9913918
Checked the forums, they only post raw kits at the minimum and I want to make my own from sintra
>>
>>9913954
I used to do custom full armor patterns before but not anymore, maybe you can find some pattern makers on etsy/facebook who are willing to draw a custom pattern for you.
>>
What primers and foundations do you guys use for cosplay? I'm oily/combo for reference.
>>
>>9913316
Thank you!

>>9914106
I use The Ordinary Niacinamide/Zinc solution for oil control, then The Face Shop Air Cotton Makeup Base Mint (green one) as primer/sunscreen. Still unsure on a foundation but I'm currently using the Revlon ColorStay. Lastly, I use the Etude House Zero Sebum powder b/c I'm hella oily.
>>
>>9913434
Use snaps as you would with horns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7n-DZkbeUM
>>
>>9913601
>>9913625
Your local craft store should have coupons on their website, local magazine, or by downloading their app.
>>
>>9897673
Seconding >>9900244 and >>9900282 with an example -- there's plenty of "drow cosplay" in an image search, so you'd be able to find examples of the range of shades that you could do.
>>
File: 9667102800_2_1_1[1].jpg (104 KB, 1024x1269)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Will India ink be able to dye polyester fibers a true black?
I have a sweater that is 100% acrylic and need it to be true black. I did one run of iDye Poly and it came out a medium grey. Other methods I'm considering:
>acrylic paint and textile medium
>another dyebath, though I'm doubtful

>>9902692
I've been able to get spandex a few shades darker without losing any elasticity. I used iDye Poly, and didn't boil the fabric directly on a stove, but kept it in a separate pot and poured boiling water into the dye, stirred it up, and added the fabric. If it was a lot of fabric, I boiled up some extra water and poured it in 10-20 minutes in (to keep the temperature up).

A few things to consider:
>thick spandex?
Thicker spandex is a bit sturdier and "beefier," so you're less likely to suffer loss of elasticity
>how deep of a color do you need to go?
Again, I was only able to overdye comparatively slight changes (from a firetruck red to a red-purple beet color).
>>
File: devil_may_cry_5.jpg (52 KB, 825x464)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
What's the name of this hairstyle?

I want to do it but can't really find good examples of such style with darker hair.
>>
>>9913625
>>9914134
Thanks!
>>
File: skin tones.jpg (160 KB, 813x759)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
What skin tone do male characters in anime generally look best at in a 3d setting? I know females look better with cool and pale skin but for male it seems to make you look like a homo orochimaru or something (seen way too many ppl do those ridiculous bishie get ups)

Looks like a cool beige is most flattering for the vast majority of shonen characters it seems? I mean, outside of the obviously foreigner(but still japanese) blonde hair blue eyed characters.
>>
File: redridinghood.jpg (200 KB, 1638x921)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>>9895715
Hey dudes. Need some quick advice. I'm making a gender bent red riding hood costume, and I'm currently making the cloak out of velvet.

Basically every cosplay I see though is either a chick in a short red dress, or a model tier dude wearing something that has like a single hint of red and I wouldn't pick them for red riding hood.

So what should a red riding hood costume have under the cloak for a male? I don't think I have the legs for a short black dress. Pic related is the sort of feel I'm going for. Relatively simple but dressy, and clear who I'm meant to be since the trial run will be a friend's party.

I'm so far thinking some fairly dressy boots, black pants, black button down and a silky black tie, but I then realised that's way too fucking much black. So what do you guys recommend I wear undearneath the hood?
>>
>>9914499
Just keep to your natural skintone, maybe choose 1-1.5 shade tanner if you find yourself too pale. If you're talking hypothetically, then I find beige or even medium beige to be ideal for most male characters (depending on who).
>>
>>9914038
Since you used to do patterns, do you have anyone you would suggest I look into?
>>
>>9914499
>what is a masculine male Manly Man skin tone
lmao are you serious?
>>
>>9914514
Lean into the medieval/Rennaisance feel of European fairytales and go for a squire-esque outfit. If you want to keep the black palette of your outfit, go with the black boots and black pants, but look for a medieval-styled black vest (longer torso and pointy shoulders) and a shirt with poofy sleeves and a wide collar (white or deep red could work here).

However, your outfit will read as "fairytale" better without the modern component of a short black dress / dressy all-black outfit, so I'd recommend going with muted tones of brown/grey/green/blue to transmit the "peasant in a forest" look.
>>
>>9914106
The drugstore makeup thread might have more of a range of options for you, but I use:
>Smashbox trial sized primer
>Revlon Colorstay foundation in oily/combo
>Covergirl Fit Me foundation powder to set
>NYX setting spray
>>
>>9914514
>>9914601
Throwing in another example of a genderbent Red Riding Hood that doesn't look anachronistically contemporary but still uses clothing base pieces that you could find in a thrift store -
>tattered grey shirt
>chest and hip belts
>brown trousers
The "fantasy" elements here are added in with the accessories:
>bracers
>bow and arrow
>hip satchel
>short sword in scabbard
>>
File: 6843251_nocolor_0[1].jpg (40 KB, 1200x1444)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>9914106
Also oily, had a problem with nose oil literally melting through my makeup until I switched up primers.
>primer: Neutrogena shine control
I swear by this stuff; it was recommended to me by a /cgl/ thread and I haven't looked back since.
>foundation: Holika Holia Petit BB Cream - Clearing
Western drugstore foundations don't do it for me - I have a weird Asian skintone and everything either washes me out or makes me too yellow/dark.
>setting spray: Ben Nye Final Seal

If it's going to be a warm/humid day, I do the "baking" technique with Nyx studio finishing powder, which leaves a white cast initially but disappears after a while (ie gets soaked up by face oils, yum).
>>
Where's a good place to get a Persona 5 Joker costume?
>>
>>9914757
Depends on your budget and how quickly you need it. Do a quick google search and get back to us.
>>
>>9901019
don't get a twintail wig for asuka, her ponyails are tiny. get a straight wig and lacky band them up with little clear bands.
>>
>>9911533
I'm looking for this as well! Although, since if you look close, her fabric has more of a knit texture, I've started to look into scuba knit? I might be crazy but, I can't think of any vinyl that would have a knit texture so. It's kinda hard to get into Nomura's head on this one.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with heycutsew?
>>
>>9915047
Under 100, before July 5. Is miccostumes any good?
>>
>>9914757
aliexpress has some good ones for 100-150ish
>>
>>9915560
the shipping time worries me, fuck i really should've bought my shit sooner
>>
>>9915563
You could try looking for a secondhand one in fb cosplay sales groups.
>>
Having kind of a hard time with pep right now. Have all the files I need but I was concerned about printing the blueprints from a regular sized printer and piecing them together, which ended up being true when I butchered the first run of a chest piece I’m working on. Would I be able to go to staples or something and get them printed on larger pieces of paper?
>>
>>9915581
This. I bought my shit early but fucked up on the Asian sizing. Thanks to a fb buy and sell group, I was able to trade with someone to get the right fit. If you're going that route, join as many as possible. People tend to cross-post, but you'll get more coverage that way.

>>9915548
I've heard good things about the quality of their stuff. There's also Amazon and the murky waters of Ebay. Also, I hope you get it in time for AX, my friend.
>>
>>9915601
Fed Ex Office & Print has a self service large scale printer, but Staples and Office Depot should offer the same.
>>
>>9915642
Got any recommendations for groups? Miccostumes would take a while so I might aim for express alixpress shipping
>>
>>9915642
Found a cosplaysky listing on Amazon that would ship fast. Any idea on how their stuff turns out?
>>
I've been looking at wig revival guides, a lot call for shampoo soaking or conditioner soaking. Is it okay if I use a shampoo+conditioner? It's the only thing I can spare right now from my own products.
>>
>>9915731
Yes
>>
File: Groups.png (181 KB, 1009x508)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
>>9915706
The first group listed was the one that seemed to be the best put together and most active, but I have no bad reviews across the board. I'd recommend sending out an ISO (in search of) message across the board. There's a feature on facebook where you can cross-post to groups using one message that I'd recommend using. Just make sure to delete the post after you're done. And don't be afraid to go way back in the catalog.

>>9915729
I've watched a couple reviews off of youtube and it seems legit. Unless you're a craftsman with a keen critical eye, it looks great.
>>
>>9912247
here you go if you still check this thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELVCYwgsTMc
>>
please tell me what the name of this type of jacket is
i’m no good at google, keep getting “modern takes on military wear”
should i post this in the military thread? i don’t want to bother them though..
>>
>>9915958
ask in the military thread, but it looks like ww2 officer's jacket or something.
>>
File: Dabi_anime_profile.png (32 KB, 205x582)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
What kind of jacket is dabi wearing?

Overshirt? Shawl?

im trynna cop that
>>
>>9916576
just looks like a regular button down shirt that has been frayed and weathered
though idk if you could have asked that question in a more cringeworthy way
>>
>>9915958
German WW2 Jacket but a design for female
>>
>>9915958
I agree with >>9916740. It looks like you're gonna need to tailor the sides to get that nicely form-fitting look and add the white/gray lining yourself.
>>
>>9916576
Thanks for moving to the help thread.
>>
Does anyone know of any ways to achieve a “black shadow void under a hood” look? Something like pic, but in real life. I really want to cosplay a character with that look going on but I’m not really sure that any of my ideas are going to work out for it.
>>
>>9917448
Black fabric you can see/breathe through. As long as it's fairly dark inside the hood and you don't look directly into a light, people shouldn't be able to see inside
>>
What haircut would this be?
>>
>>9917501
>>9917448
Make sure to sew it a little farther back into the hood and about an inch or so away from your face. It'll give the "shadow" dimension
>>
>>9917504
Honestly I have no idea. It'd probably be easier to show this picture to a stylist
>>
>>9917504
Faux hawk with the sides grown out?
>>
File: COMP Headpiece.jpg (25 KB, 523x250)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
Not sure what material to use for this piece. I've only ever worked with EVA foam and oven clay, but I'm trying to step away from that.

Or if you know of a similar looking headpiece, I can look up tutorials on that.
>>
>>9918196
Might be time to step into thermoplastics and give Worbla/Thibra a shot - afaik they're a good general option for molding custom, intricate headgear like this.

>>9916576
From the hang and drape in this image, it seems like it could also be a cardigan, but I don't watch BNHA.
>>
File: 20180619_144741.jpg (3.5 MB, 4032x3024)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
How would you suggest I go about wrapping this horn around my head similar to a unicorn horn? I had an extra printed cone left over from a previous project but the bottom is flat so I'm at a loss at what to do short of gluing on an elastic.
>>
File: Whitemane.jpg (39 KB, 430x590)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
I'm working on an inquisitor whitemane cosplay, the way I see it, I can do the bodysuit in one of two ways

1) make the bodysuit then attach the dangling part of the tabard after the fact onto the suit, or

2) make it not really a bodysuit at all but instead a top and wear a leotard underneath to give the impression it's a bodysuit

right now I'm thinking 1 is the better option but I figured I'd run it past you gulls. I don't actually have that much bodysuit experience and I took this on specifically because I thought the sewing would challenge the shit out of me.

Also would you recommend eva foam or worbla for the hat? I feel like worbla miiiight give a better result but I hate working with thermoplastic
>>
>>9918222
Yes, I've been thinking about using worbla and this might be the project for it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
File: hyrule_warriors_link.jpg (259 KB, 800x800)
259 KB
259 KB JPG
Is there any good way to "shade" cosplay clothing so that it appears darker/lighter in certain areas?

Pic related. Would love to get the epic darker areas of the costume down without needing a perfect lighting setup.
>>
>>9915823
>>9915642
Bought the cosplay from Amazon from Cosplaysky on Saturday. Expected to be here from the 25th to 28th, paid with the faster shipping.

Literally arrived today. It's great but I do need new gloves, and the pants are fucking massive (not a big deal though, I might be able to get away with normal black pants / jeans).
>>
>>9919351
I'm glad it came it quickly, anon! If you're not planning on using them anyway, you might be able to alter the pants. What's wrong with the gloves?
>>
>>9918421
How heavy is it and can it be sanded? If it's really light a shit ton of spirit gum on the bottom should be enough to hold.

>>9918519
I don't see why you can't just make a bodysuit and have the whole tabard sewn down, dangling part and all? Just make sure it's stretched out when you sew it on and interface the shit out of it, and use a heavier material with a zip up the back.
I definitely would not recommend using worbla for the hat. It's a waste since it wouldn't be strong enough on it's own without foam anyways. Use thick cardstock or Eva to make the hat base and cover in fabric.

>>9918993
Airbrush and fabric paints
>>
File: elbow pads.jpg (251 KB, 1500x1500)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
Bit of a weird question here.

So I've bought the pictured elbow pads, which I am going to use as a base to built off of for some bracers for a costume so that I can mount stuff on it and not have the whole thing slide up and down my arm at cons.

But I'm considering making the parts of the pad below look more like leather so that it blends into the aesthetic of the costume (Bondrewd the Novel, so think steampunkish and you wont be far off).

So here's what I'm thinking: spray the whole thing down with a layer of plastdip as a sealant, use balled up tin foil to create an uneven texture, and then paint the whole thing brown and touch it up with shoe polish for weathering.

Is that at all likely to turn pic related into something leathery looking? Or is that just an awful idea and I should let the black nature of the padding fall into the background and keep a low profile?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.