[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/cgl/ - Cosplay & EGL

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 75 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: cinderella.gif (498 KB, 500x322)
498 KB
498 KB GIF
Last thread is in autosage: >>9919330

Post cosplay-related questions here. For Lolita/Jfash, see the Stupid Questions thread here: >>9929072
>>
Kinda stupid question but I know that I need to use a wig for my cosplay but how bad does it get using a wig when I have hair that goes down to my ass? Do I need to cut my hair?
>>
>>9938750
no, just braid it, wrap it around your head and pin it in place, put on a wig cap then wig and voila
>>
>>9938758
Well I guess now is the second best time to learn how to braid my hair, thanks for the assurance.
>>
>>9938750
>>9938758
seconding, but use a net cap first, and then layer at least 2 skin caps on top. really helps to flatten it out, i also have hair down to the tip of my ass with some thickness, and for the first time a wig hasn't looked wonky on me because i used those extra skin caps
>>
I've never bought cosplay before and want to get a touhou cosplay with wig for a con. Is it acceptable to just buy these things off eBay (which seems to have plenty of listings for these things) or is there a better site I should be using?
>>
>>9938844
You'll get a better deal of Taobao or Aliexpress and it's all the same shit anyways.
>>
>>9938833
Do you have a link for the kind of net and skin caps you used?
>>
File: 919Or1PT32L.jpg (710 KB, 1675x2529)
710 KB
710 KB JPG
reposting my question from the last thread:

how would you make a 'floating' scarf? Which gauge wire should i use? What are floating scarves even called? Cause I can't find any tutorials
>>
i'm sure this has been answered and i feel stupid for even asking, but what brand/site should i buy a maid cosplay from? i want something high quality and not too costumey. im so sorry for asking a dumb question
>>
Reposting from last thread since I didn’t see it was in autosage. What’s the best way to go about cosplaying a barefoot character? Should I just wear sandals or something?
>>
File: SB_P1_68_-_Two-Face.jpg (39 KB, 640x480)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
What should I use to apply makeup? My getup is extremely simple (just solid blue cheap costume-store facepaint on half my face) but since I'm a dude I know jack shit about brushes or sponges or whatever. I didn't see anything in the makeup aisle of the costume store and I'm not sure where to start looking.

or should I post this in >>9917156 instead?
>>
File: nakefit shoes.jpg (42 KB, 690x460)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>9938907
I kind of what to say as heavy as a coat hanger wire, otherwise I'd suggest the heaviest floral wire you can find. I don't know if 16gauge floral wire can hold up the weight of the semi-transparent scarf (fabric like nylon thin tights perhaps?). Maybe only use one wire on one edge of the scarf so you leave the other edge flowing and free. These are just suggestions, test what you can before using the actual scarf fabric.

>>9939050
Try pic related or if you find thin lace up sandals, switch the laces with a color that'll closely match your feet.
>>
Any tips for making a Big Suit? The jacket seems pretty straightforward - just put shoulder pads in an oversize jacket - but I don't know how to go about getting the pants to hang wide.
>>
>>9939155
Makeup sponges should be fine.

>>9939207
If you're going to keep the suit jacket on, this might work:
>get big pants
>get or make a hoop from something stiff but thin, >9939165 's suggestion of coat hanger wire might work for this too
>hoop should fit snugly into the inside diameter of the waistband so it holds it out
>attach hoop to inside of waistband, could probably just sew it to the inner layer of fabric
>get suspenders
>attach suspenders to hoop and/or pants, if it has clips of some kind then you can clip it over both
>suspenders will keep hoop/waistband in place
>hoop will keep pants in place
>jacket will keep suspenders hidden
>same as it ever was
>same as it ever was
>>
File: invishoes.jpg (227 KB, 600x1773)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>9939050
Sorry man, I just replied to it without realizing the thread was dunzo
>>
File: sponges.jpg (60 KB, 800x800)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>9939155
These should be just fine.
>>
>>9938945
Yea. 3 types in fact. From grittyer to smoother.
>>9938420
Anyone?
>>
>>9938627
Someone recommended EVA foam for building the two metal pieces for pyramid head's costume (the head and the sword) but I really wanted the two of them to have some more weight. Should I just weight them down with a metallic core?
I also want to be able to see while I'm in the costume because I think being able to track people would be really cool. My plan is to do a simple "hidden camera" thing where a camera sits in the pyramid somewhat hidden while it's connected to a phone on a head mounted display on the interior. Does this sound feasible? Latency on the camera will probably be the biggest issue so what cam should I get for the purpose?
>>
>>9939351
Don't worry, ehen you seal it with glue it will have weight. Don't even think about metal, it would be waaaaaay too heavy.
>>
>>9939351
>but I really wanted the two of them to have some more weight

lol. is this your first time cosplaying? because you definitely dont want that shit to be heavy. i dont care how macho you think you are, trust me, youre gonna end up regretting it.
>>
>>9938898
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F4YMT8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

forgive me if the link fucks up, but search eBoot 3 Pack Wig Caps, Neutral Nude Beige and Black Mesh

comes with a black net and 2 skin caps, but you might just want to order a skin cap pack instead since you already have a black net
>>
i know this should probably go in the makeup thread, but i don't think i'd get a response

how should i go about makeup for windwaker zelda? i can't decide on eyeliner or no liner, but i'll be wearing falsies. i have a good blue shadow, but other than that i was just thinking blush on the apples of my cheeks only with a subtle highlight and gloss/tint for the lips
>>
how do i even find someone to photograph my cosplay when i live in a backwards ass shithole southern town (that also isn't a creep)? im also completely out of the con scene too
>>
>>9939817
Go to a city and pay a place that does photography.
>>
File: sei_152167.jpg (118 KB, 748x990)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
How the hell would you go about making his chainmail that isn't really normal chainmail shaped? Using pieces of craft foam seems like it would be too flimsy but it'd get the thickness right, any suggestions?
>>
>>9939606
1, if you're wearing falsies, you should wear eyeliner
2, she looks like she's wearing eyeliner...
>>
>>9939864
you don't have to wear falsies with eyeliner, infact if properly trimmed and applied they give a thicker lash line, while liner doubles that.
>>
>>9939861
if you feel like you gotta have it be exactly like that pattern then just make it out of foam or thin eva foam. those parts arent really that exposed in many places so its not really a big deal if its done in foam. just make sure you paint it up to make it look like metal.

im actually doing a goblin slayer cosplay myself but im just doing it as chainmail but with a thicker gauge wire.
>>
>>9939880
Suppose I could always just test it, EVA would be more firm but I'm just worried about it breaking since I'd be moving around a lot.

Oh cool, what's your take on the red mane on his helmet? In some sources it seems like hair, in ones like the one I posted it seems more like fabric.
>>
>>9939890
im personally making it as hair. i feel like its suppose to be hair anyways, kinda like how greek/roman helmets have those tufts of hair on their helmet.

but i can also see it being like fabric, kinda like a torn flag attached to the top. though,using fabric will make it look droopy unless you hide some wire or something to make it stand up.
>>
File: 404766.jpg (127 KB, 461x647)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
Anyone know why this is happening? I'll just be sewing and the horsehair will catch a bit and make these nasty little pulls in the edge. It happened sewing at various speeds too so idk if it's my needle (universal, recently changed), or shit quality horsehair or something.

>>9939861
>>9939890
Considering it fits like a tight shirt on him, eva seems too chunky and there's lot of overlapping pieces so it'll will wear out really quickly. I'd try silver marine vinyl laid over a black shirt.
>>
>>9939861
>9939351
You could try the Monty Python method and paint a black knit sweater silver. The mail kind of looks like honeycomb knit on a fisherman sweater.
>>
>>9939861
Just buy aluminium line, and make it. It's really not that hard and there are tons of tutorials on youtube for it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-_aWVY07E

Do y'all think this is a good tutorial to follow? Total newfag with cosplay.
>>
>>9940651
>Do y'all think this is a good tutorial to follow?

well, ask yourself this question: "do you like the end results of the cosplay?" "does it cater to your budget and limited cosplay craftsmanship?".

personally i wouldnt use because the end results look pretty meh to me but i have a couple of years of cosplay under my belt.
for someone thats starting out, it could be ok, maybe with some tweaks here and there.
>>
Does anyone know where to get one of these in good quality? I've been looking around in the web, but what I keep finding is either far too glossy and/or thin-looking, the tissue looks off... Figured I'd ask here since I'm definitely not the first one to do something so generic (total cosplay pleb newfag btw). Thanks for any help, truthfully.
Oh yeah, I'm EU, but if it ships here, I'll take overseas too, if it's worth it.
>>
What fabric would look nice with crepe? I’m making a crepe dress with a ruffle trim and was thinking of using a different fabric for the ruffles. Or should I just use crepe?
>>
File: 2018-07-12 17.36.24.jpg (1.06 MB, 2560x1536)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
How to update?
>>
>>9941067
Wat
>>
>>9939445
>>9939580
I intentionally wanted it to be heavier because I lift. I want it to be weighty enough where I can give it to someone else and they'll be astounded by the weight.
...I should probably take your advice on this and do it without extra weight though, at least initially

>is this your first time cosplaying
Yes. There aren't many characters that have my head shape nor hair color and it really turned me off from cosplay. Someone recommended masked characters and pyramid head is motivation to lift heavier weight so I can have a body that does him some justice.
>>
>>9941241
If you’re going to be walking around at a con for hours you do not want a heavy prop. Even an eight pound prop becomes unbearable at the end of the day, let alone something that weighs enough to surprise others. If you really want people to ooh and ahh about your strength just get good looking muscles.
>>
>>9941241
well, if you want to act tough and show off, then go ahead, make the thing heavy.

>and they'll be astounded by the weight.
ill be honest with you though, nobody is really going to give a shit.

if youre trying to get into cosplay with a "notice me senpai!" mentality, then youre doing it wrong.
but you know what, its your cosplay, do whatever you want.
and like what >>9941250 said. if you really just want to show off. just do a cosplay that shows off skin. like a kill la kill nudist beach cosplay or something.
>>
>>9941250
>It's not about how much you can lift, it's about how much you LOOK like you can lift
Couldn't have said it better myself
That being said I have a lot of experience dragging around heavy stuff from my many years of hiking. Also I'm planning on putting on the cosplay and walking around (at night in parks to scare people) so I can adjust to the weight and be ready for it. I know it's a different kind of strength since it uses endurance muscles rather than explosive muscles and my endurance ones are somewhat lacking in comparison.
>>
File: perfect gf.png (3.62 MB, 3056x2184)
3.62 MB
3.62 MB PNG
>>9941253
>You shouldn't cosplay something just for attention
Shit, I'm become that which I most hated.
>>
>>9939351
>>9939445
>>9941250
>>9941253
How do I do bloody and dirty makeup for his arms and chest? What should I make the smock out of?
>>
>>9940954
My friend bought a coat from HelloCosplay years ago. It was decent?? but I was still a noob back then so I don't know if I would think so anymore.
>>
>>9940954
Simplicity made a pattern just for this a while back. Buy the fabric you actually want and make it yourself. Don’t know how to sew? Pay a friend who does and can read a pattern. They really are not hard to follow and this pattern doesn’t have any fancy tricks up its sleeve.
>>
How would i go about constructing the red part of the "dress" i was thinking of just using high waisted shorts instead since itll be easier to move around in than a mini skirt.
>>
>>9941337
Does the character aear high waisted shorts? No? Then wear the mini dress with some shorts under it. The pattern is pretty standard though. Just make the skirt buckle around you under your bust line and have the white shirt part under it. The shoulder piece has is own red fabric attached to it so it’s not a part of the dress itself.
>>
im trying to make a soldier 76 jacket but im having a hard time finding a jacket that fits it look, specifically in the collar region.

you think its a good idea to just buy one of those cheap, already made soldier 76 jackets and just creating patterns out of it so i can transfer it to better material?
>>
>>9941346
Thanks dad
>>
>>9941281
Thanks; that zipper is fuckhuge, though. Can't get around it with the pattern, I assume?
>>
>>9941394
It’s just a zipper. You buy them and install them yourself. You want a smaller zipper you put it in. The pattern is the same. They just used a large zipper for the effect. That’s the magic of making your own. You can do what ever you do and do not want to smaller details like closures and hem length.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (349 KB, 2400x2228)
349 KB
349 KB JPG
This might be a stupid question, but do I need to do the whole 'foundation over lips' thing for a male cosplay? (am female) I'm doing the rest of the 'male'-ish makeup (eyes and contouring, But very lightly because hes a feminine kinda boy) but I hate the feel of it on my lips. They aren't very big or full in the first place.
pic related, most of the male makeup i've seen does this foundation lips thing
>>
>>9941474
Just buy nude colored lipstick, basically the same thing
>>
>>9941476
Is it necessary though? I honestly find the no-lip look kind of unnerving but I don't want to look bad. I've never cosplayed a male before so I'm not sure what's considered acceptable
>>
>>9941480
Nayrt but men generally have thinner lips then women so you may want to get a more nude lip color that might be a little more brownish then your natural color. Getting a lip blocker and then putting on the lipcolor over that in a thinner lip shape would help give the effect more. But it takes practice to make not look really off like foundation lips.
>>
>>9941474
I honestly don't feel like you do, most boys that I know don't have pencil lips. You can do what
>>9941476
said and buy a nude, but I think the nude should be a duller color of your natural lip color. I always just wear colorless chapstick.
>>
File: Hat_Kid_Transparent.png (397 KB, 628x682)
397 KB
397 KB PNG
I'm looking for where I can find a dress like this since my sister and I are doing Hat in Time cosplays. Most of the dresses where I live are sleeveless with drooping armholes. Anyone point me to a site that works?
>>
File: images(4).jpg (8 KB, 259x195)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
Does anyone here know their hats? I wanna cosplay as Captain Lou Mario, and I really want to get the details right. Looked at carpenter hats and fisherman caps, but I can't find anything that looks quite right.
>>
File: 165317_patrol_hat[1].jpg (12 KB, 300x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>9941689
its probably gonna be hard to find a hat like that today since hat styles change throughout the years but it seems like searching up "old style police hat" or even a punk cap, might be something to look into.
youre probably gonna have to do some type of modification no matter what though.
>>
File: 6830129_orig.jpg (42 KB, 400x296)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>9941751
Thanks guy, I'll look into that. Follow-up question, any ways to recolor denim? I need red overalls, and the ones I could find either only come in blue, or are weird short-legged ones for women
>>
>>9941762
You should be able to get white denim overalls. Try to google "painters overalls" Then you can just use Rit dye to make it red

Those hats might pop up if you try "paddy cap"
>>
File: file.png (1.28 MB, 1658x1290)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB PNG
What would the name of the gray vest be under the black tactical vest?
>>
File: Space Dandy (2).jpg (570 KB, 1920x1080)
570 KB
570 KB JPG
How stupid of an idea would it be to use actual metal in making Space Dandy boots? Obviously painted foam is the best way to go, but it might be fun making the sides and toe points in metal.
>>
>>9941905
sure, if you want to potentially hurt people with it. go for it.
>>
if I want a piece of fabric on a skirt to fade into a gradient, am I better off airbrushing or dying it?
>>
>>9941959
Depends on the gradient. If it’s one color to another like white to a color or yellow to red then dye it. If it’s like yellow to a blue then a a red, airbrush it. Just got to understand how colors work with one another when mixed and how some colors make new colors when mixed.
>>
File: punpun.png (770 KB, 1000x827)
770 KB
770 KB PNG
this will be the first time I want to make a cosplay, and I want to start with a simple one, and that's Onodera Punpun:
any advice for making the "head"? which one is better?
>>
File: 0714181543-1.jpg (916 KB, 1695x2951)
916 KB
916 KB JPG
Anyone have any idea on how to attach the heart (model magic) to the shoe in a way that is secure and looks nice?
>>
Normally I'd post this on /diy/ but they would just redirect here since we all assume that /cgl/ has the highest concentration of people who actually know how to make clothes.
Yes, I checked the sticky.

I'm interested in making a cooling garment, similar to the LCVG used in the space suits, but I'm more of a mechanical person and so I have no idea how to make clothes, much less ergonomic clothes or even functional clothes designed to go in a washing machine.

What resources and equipment do I need to make clothes?
How would I test and buy fabric and thread?
Is there an active academic scene in regards to the development of ergonomic patterns and textiles?

I'd like to put it all together by hand if possible. As far as design goes, I think I'll take every software crutch that I can get. I already pirated Marvelous Designer.
>>
>>9940651
I agree with >>9940776. Rather than following a single tutorial, do your research and look at all of your options for tackling a costume. Use what works for you
>>
File: interstella_1-0.png (483 KB, 968x729)
483 KB
483 KB PNG
I am working on Octave from Interstella 5555 and I want to put in lights where the white and orange meet. Is this just a pipe dream or does anyone have reccomendations on what kind of lights i should use and how i should put them in.
>>
File: us.jpg (2.31 MB, 2905x2616)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
Trying to arrange a matching cosplay with my BFF before he moves to Japan to teach English and looking for ideas. So far, this is what's I've come up with:

Fox+Falco
Frank+Pink Guy or Fake Frank
Simon+Kamina
Domon+Master Asia
Guts+Griffith
Madoka+Mami
Ed+Al
Joseph+Ceasar
Johnny+Gyro
Izaya+Shizuo
Spike+Jet

Pic related, it's us (me on the right).
>>
>>9943305
I think fox+falco is good, as well as Joseph+Caesar
>>
>>9943305
Fuck, I'm a dumbass/directionally-challenged--me on the left.

>>9943307
Thanks for the input! Those were actually the first ones I suggested to him so I'm hoping he bites, lol.
>>
File: 20180629_161905.jpg (108 KB, 1164x873)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
Not really a help question, but a general thing. What skill level do you really think is needed before opening for commissions? I really like making stuff but don't really have time (or friends) to go to cons anymore. I think it'd be cool to do what I enjoy and make some dosh as I really don't need to keep them.

Pic related, last prop I made
>>
File: 20180714_215906.jpg (75 KB, 655x873)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>9943378
And here's a helmet I finished yesterday.
>>
File: Raven body suit.png (185 KB, 281x670)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
first time making a body suit so im wondering do people put snaps in the crotch to go to the bathroom easily or just take it off ? I feel like if might look less stream line with snaps there ?
>>
>>9943447
Can't you just pull it to the side to use the restroom I guess you'd have to take it off to shit though.
>>
where can a canadian get a black gakuran for cheap?
>>
>>9943447
Just put the snaps a little further back. They don't have to be right at the cameltoe.
>>
I cosplayed at a con for the first time recently. I heard it's kind of frowned upon to wear the same cosplay all the time, is that true? There's some more cons coming up later in the year and I wasn't happy with some stuff in the cosplay that I want to fix(and i'm really attached to this character hahaha), would it be bad to wear that same cosplay again? And what about wearing it next year to the same con? I'm gonna work on some other cosplays too so I can switch between days, but what's the etiquette here?
>>
>>9943604
Honestly never heard of that stigma, it's not like you're trying to be a professional or anything.
>>
>>9943605
Maybe what I heard was just in regards to pros? I don't even remember where I read that desu It's just something that was stuck in my head kek
>>
>>9941255
>walking around at night to scare people
Do you hear yourself? Just fucking stop. Seriously.
>>
So I’m not really sure where to start on this. I’m trying to make a costume of pic related, but I’m not sure whether I should make the dress or buy the dress. Either way I know I’m going to have to iron on the front pieces, but I’m really having troubles finding a dress similar to this. Does anyone know where I can buy one, or what kind of material should be used for this kind of dress?
>>
>>9943810
Note, I have relatively basic sewing skills. I’ve sewn a few shirts and skirts here and there, so sewing it wouldn’t be a huge issue, I just don’t really know where to start on fabric choice I guess
>>
>>9943378
>What skill level do you really think is needed before opening for commissions?

honestly, thats something you should be asking yourself. do you feel confident to make stuff for people even if you are not familiar with the source material?
how fast can you build it while still maintaining a clean look for it?

create a portfolio, shill yourself in various places and see if you get any feedback.
>>
>>9943607
yeah, nobody is gonna give a fuck if you wear the same thing. especially if youre a literally who.
i mean, even if you are more well known, just wear whatever the fuck you want.
>>
File: FNC.png (269 KB, 1024x1024)
269 KB
269 KB PNG
I'm attempting to make pic related's gun out of foam but I'm a bit unsure whether I should cut the whole thing (minus the stock and the part of the barrel that sticks out) out of one piece of foam or 2 pieces glued together.

Any opinions?
>>
>>9944390
do whatever is easier for you. ive done a few gun builds in the past and personally i like to split it up. usually in 2 or 3 sections depending on how big the prop is and then i build up the gun from there.
>>
>>9943607
Heroes of Cosplay tried to make this a thing. Unless you are violating the rules of a cosplay competition by competing in something that has already won at another contest previously there's really no reason to try to have something new at every con.
>>
Debating on cosplaying as Bear from Yo-Kai Watch, am I better off commissioning the jacket? Also, is the fabric leather all around?
>>
>>9944412
if you dont know how to sew, then you can probably commission it.
its just a short sleeved letterman jacket, really. nothing that unique.
>>
So I found this, on Aliexpress, how should I go about ordering the right size for me? I've ordered a large hoodie from some chinese store before and it fits pretty small, so should I go 2x my size or more?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fate-grand-order-cosplay-costume-Hijikata-Toshizou-cosplay-costume/32826258742.html?spm=2114.search0302.3.191.6df1484f9XYph8&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_0_10130_10152_10151_10618_10059_10696_10084_100031_10083_10547_10624_10546_10623_10307_10548_10341_10065_10340_10068_10343_10342_10103_10620_10344_10325_10545_10622_10324_10621,searchweb201603_0,ppcSwitch_0&algo_pvid=2b9b58d0-0d2a-4f4d-8235-2070f94d9b58&algo_expid=2b9b58d0-0d2a-4f4d-8235-2070f94d9b58-22
>>
complete noob at sewing here: whats a good fabric to test out patterns with or just to practice sewing with all together?
should i just use that Muslin stuff or should i just buy random clearance fabric?

ive done cosplays before in the past but its all been foam fabrication stuff. hopefully pattern making from foam can translate well into pattern making with fabric.
>>
>>9942452
Poke holes in the model magic before it dries and you can sew through it into the shoe cover.

Or glue it.
>>
>>9942452
Sew it down using clear thread
>>
>>9941837
That's a slick ballistic plate carrier. Unfortunately that one doesnt exist IRL.
>>
What's the right grit for sanding brush lines out of acrylic paint before applying a new coat?

I'm most of the way through making my first set of armor. I was finnicky about colors to start, couldn't find a spray paint color that I liked, and decided to paint the whole thing by hand with acryllics -- sacrificing a clean surface for easy color customization. After painting but before sealing, I changed my mind about the color and want to go over it with a coat of spray paint. Before I do, I want to buff out some of the fine paint lines that accumulated. What's the right grit of sandpaper for this?

Image unrelated.
>>
>>9944543
Practice with fabric that is similar to the fabric that the finished product will be made out of. There is no point in making a muslin mock-up of something that is meant to be made out of a heavier/thicker material.
>>
>>9944543
Muslin is intended to be mockup fabric, and it's cheap, so it's a good starter fabric. It also takes well to being written on in pencil and marker, which is a handy characteristic if you want to do markings directly on the fabric as you're starting out. If you can get weird clearance fabrics (like polyester blends - satin is a big one), you can practice working with non-cotton fabrics, since they behave differently (slippery, fray, etc)

>>9943206
>good taste OP
Look up "EL wire" -- you can get a lot of it for cheap on eBay or other non-specialty sites, and you'll need to hand-tack the wire down along the seam (and think of a place to hide the battery pack - probably an interior pouch sewn along a back panel)

>>9942462
Can't help you on the specifics of a cooling garment, but
>resources and equipment
- Sewing machine is helpful, especially for garments that you intend to wear in medium/high-stress situations (or: learn to sew by hand. It takes more time, but it's more precise and you have more control over certain areas)
- Fabric scissors: different from regular "paper" scissors - they're sharper and will cut fabric more precisely
- A way to mark the fabric: soluble ink pens, chalk, etc
- Sewing pins
- A big space to lay out fabric for cutting (kitchen tables work, clean floors also work)
>test and buy fabric and thread
Find a fabric/crafts store near you. If you're in the US, JoAnn is a national chain retailer of sewing shit, and they do classes on sewing, too.
For buying specialty fabric, you can usually order swatches online for sampling at home - getting the feel of it, seeing if it works for the project you have in mind, etc. By testing swatches first, you don't end up committing to a $60 purchase of expensive-ass fabric that is completely wrong for what you need.

>>9943604
imo it's more impressive if a cosplay is built well enough to withstand multiple wears, rather than something flashy with shit construction that's falling apart after six hours.
>>
>>9943810
Look up "jumper skirt" or "overall skirt" as shopping terms.
For fabric choice, try a cotton sateen - nice weight and lends itself well to a crisp, clean look.

>>9943604
To add to my last comment: People rewear things constantly, and it's certainly a good marker of your developing skill if you're able to revamp or improve different parts as you learn.
The stigma you're referring to might have been conflated with the actual stigma about wearing the same cosplay
>multiple days of the same convention weekend
because that's when fabric starts to get funky.

>>9944653
220 grit for wet sanding, according to
>https://acrylicpouring.com/how-to-fix-lumpy-paint/
>>
>>9944658
>Jo-Ann sewing classes
>next class Monday at noon
Yeah, not skipping work for this

At least now I know that I really don't need much more than fabric, thread, needles, scissors and pins.
I guess it's harder to find something in the way of more structured learning material for beginners.

I looked up my old university's fashion design program to see if I could get anything useful out of their curriculum, but only current students even get to see the course syllabus.

I read through a few textbooks in the past few days about fabrics and "design". Most of it was about how different fabrics behave under certain conditions, offers some insight as to why they function the way they do, and lots of guidelines, but the guidelines are only useful if you already know what you're doing.
>>
File: megumin-cosplay.jpg (536 KB, 3024x4032)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
Hi I'm back! My Megumin cosplay got here in time , but have a few problems. Has you can see it's too short. The site lied about the size. I'm thin so it fits the torso, I'm tall so it's not long enough. I bought spats (a type of athletic shorts) from a local athletic shop and rolled them up so my butt doesn't show. Planning to use bobby pins to make them stay rolled because they don't show. I want to have a family member sew on more fabric on the bottom, but I'm afraid it would look bad. How can match the fabric?

The biggest problem is that the sleeves restrict movement. The dress in the anime has no shoulders (see here >>9934731 ) and the real dress too small for my arms so I can't bend them out. Should I loosen the seems or cut the sleeves and sew fabric in between the pieces? I'm very scared of cutting the fabric though.

The last one is that my hat's circle brim doesn't like staying up and it's hard to see. Any tips for the hat?

To the anon from before you did great. No worries.
>>
>>9943645
Is joke anon
>>
>>9944654
>There is no point in making a muslin mock-up of something that is meant to be made out of a heavier/thicker material.

hmm alright. well my cosplay consist of cloth but mostly leather material. is there any muslin equivalent for leather working?
>>
>>9944696
>add fabric
ids do lade
all its lots
ids hoblets
you may want to just go in a completely different direction and turn that into a shirt (it already is one) and make a skirt
That way you at least have some recourse "it was totally on purpose :^)"
>>
>>9944866
Thanks, but I don't think it's a good idea to a skirt. I don't what lade is though. Please explain.
>>
So, I have a wide, poofy skirt that sits over a petticoat in a bell shape. I'm thinking of installing pockets in it to make it easier to carry small things during a con. I'd put them between the pleats so they're not noticeable, but would the extra fabric or weight be likely to disrupt the shape? I assume I wouldn't be able to put anything of moderate weight like a small digital camera, or maybe even a glasses case, in there without my sides sinking in and lessening my poof. Is it worth it at all to install pockets, then?
>>
>>9944654
>There is no point in making a muslin mock-up of something that is meant to be made out of a heavier/thicker material.
It sounds like anon is concerned about making a pattern, in which case I don't see why practicing with a different material would be pointless. Making patterns can be confusing and it's easily to accidentally fuck it up when you don't really know what you're doing, so I think it would be a great idea for them to make a test to ensure it is a functional garment, fits alright, etc.

>>9944696
Depending on how dedicating you are to making this cosplay work, honestly I'd make a new tunic from scratch. To extend it you'd have to have two seams around the circumference, which wouldn't look very tidy. Unless by "sew fabric on the bottom" you mean just extending the red band at the bottom and not moving the yellow band lower, in which case you could do that neatly. Just place the seam on the line between the yellow and red and it won't be super noticeable/disruptive. Do you have a physical fabric store near you? The simplest and easiest way to match the fabric would be to take the garment there and compare it to their fabrics. For the sleeves, you could try putting a gusset in the armpit (made of the matching fabric).
>>
>>9943607
No regular person can reasonably make 9-12 cosplays a year if they go to 3-4 con a year. That's just ridiculous.
Most people make about 1-2 a year and recycle old ones or buy AliExpress to fill in.
>>
>>9944930
Depends on how thick/supportive the petti is. I've done something similar and was able to keep my phone in a pocket, but it was with a skirt that 1) had a LOT of fabric, so the pocket was able to make a journey to the center of the earth without the appearance of disrupting the skirt shape and 2) was worn with 2-3 petticoats.
But from the description of the skirt as wide and poofy, it sounds like you'll be able to manage pockets without too much problem. Worst case, add another petticoat underneath.

>>9944942
>1-2 a year and recycle old ones or buy AliExpress to fill in
It varies by the community/friend group you're in. The last two years, I did nine each year (while being a full-time student and then working full-time), and I'm at five completed cosplays into 2018 so far. And these are more than basic garments - I have a few bodysuits with colorblocked details, historical outfits with a dozen different parts, half-body armor builds, etc. You just need to be careful about time management (and desu my idea of a fun weekend is Netflix and sewing).
>>
is pepakura being less and less of a thing now because of 3d printing?
dumb question but is it possible to use 3d models for 3d printing and converting them to use for pepakura?
>>
>>9945093
I see! The petti is very supportive - I wore the cosplay to a con recently and someone actually asked me how many petticoats I was wearing, when it was just one. But I assumed a wider shape would be more prone to distortion. I think I'll pin something weighted where I'd put a pocket and see how it holds up.
>>
>>9942452
Velcro on shoe and on heart piece. Why? Because that will break as soon as you try to put your foot in it if you have attached that in some permanent way. If you make it attachable via Velcro then you can put it on after your foot is in. Still might break though, I love it but that stuff is so fucking frail.
>>
Any decent lookalikes of Makoto Niijima's boots? I could always order them off eBay or Taobao or something, but I was an idiot and if I ordered now they wouldn't get here in time.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/jeffrey-campbell-cloudy-chelsea-rain-boot-women/4459923?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FWomen%2FShoes%2FBoots%2FBooties&color=black%20matte%20black
I was thinking of these, but I'm not sure if there are closer-looking ones.
>>
>>9945281
Just google front zip boots, gonna be honest though unless you are loaded there are few that are the exact length of makotos, under 100 dollars
>>
File: i4oYqFy.jpg (104 KB, 600x446)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>9944902
>>
>>9938627

So, I heat-sealed a foam piece I am working on and covered it in a layer of mod podge before deciding that there is a section I want to cover with an extra layer of foam to improve the profile.

However, I think the mod podge is preventing the glue from adhearing properly. Its very spotty where it will stick and everywhere else it just comes right back off.

Is there something I can use that will glue on over mod podge, or am I forced to sand it back down to the foam to create a workable surface?
>>
>>9945281
These are the closest ones I could find without laces or that sit at the right length. If you're a stickler for accuracy, I'd suggest making some boot covers. I found these using the search terms, "women's brown mid calf low heel boots"

>https://www.amazon.com/Aerosoles-Womens-Take-Pride-Boot/dp/B00C7WCLQK?th=1&psc=1

>https://www.milanoo.com/p752050.html?Promotion=usaggPLAShoes_752050&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrTJpdyn3AIVAS1pCh2KLgX0EAkYKCABEgIbBvD_BwE#C4692S836

>https://jet.com/product/Aerosoles-Womens-Bridesmaid-Boot/80f935cc0aa34f62915e2666f6085e43?jcmp=pla:ggl:nj_dur_gen_womens_clothing_shoes_accessories_a2:womens_clothing_shoes_accessories_womens_shoes_womens_boots_booties_a2:na:PLA_790856390_44058079354_pla-387158452205_c:na:na:na:2PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=790856390&is_retargeting=true&clickid=f62fbb52-3c6a-4b6f-8f65-ea8e08f01474&kclid=f62fbb52-3c6a-4b6f-8f65-ea8e08f01474&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlrfml9yn3AIVhSJpCh3wJghFEAkYASABEgK00PD_BwE
>>
now that i think about it, what % of people actually make their own costume(that doesnt suck dick), especially for men.

feels like the average chinese company is way better than most people can do, especially since your 150-200$ is like 75 hours salary for em.
>>
>>9945437
just sand down that section of mod podge.
>>
>>9945489
the problem is that when you rely on Chang to make your costume for you, you're making all kinds of concessions--that you probably won't get the fabric that you want, so it won't look as nice, or that it doesn't fit right because that's how all online clothes shopping goes, or there's an obvious error that didn't show up on the pictures because maybe they forgot to turn off the bootleg mentality for this item
>>
>>9945518
Yea, though if you're mostly interested in the dressing up and not learning how to make your costume it's gonna be like so many hours of work put in (and unless you're talented a few shit costumes and lots of material wasted) before you do better than chang's mediocre goods.
>>
>>9945518
if you know how to search on ali you can get something pretty good most of the time.

for 97% of cosplayers, theyll spend shitloads of time and money and end up with something that you can't even consider half decent.

This goes up to 99.9% for males, unless it's armor/metal/powertool related, in which case you can get something seriously good, but those guys are supreme neckbeards in which case no one actually mires them, just their work.
>>
>>9944937
Thank you, but it's too late for me to make a new tunic. The family member I'm going with said it would be better if I went as is and remake my cosplay later on because the dress could get ruined and couldn't repair it intime. My arms don't hurt or anything. I'm going to have a lot of fun!

>>9945358
Smh, I'm so stupid!
>>
>>9945230
crud, is it? it looks so good but we've never used it before, we plastidipped it also do you think that'd help its durability at all in that reguard?
>>
File: 1.jpg (26 KB, 852x480)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
Is there a favored source for more realistic looking wigs? A lot of the more realistic looking characters look really weird with typical cosplay wigs.
>>
>>9945608
Not any of the anons who've replied so far; is the shoe fabric stretchy?
Stretchy or not, my preferred method would be a combination of some of the responses:
>apply gorilla glue on shoe, press + hold the heart to the fabric
>add extra security with several loops of clear thread or matching gold thread sewn through bootcover and around the emblem
The glue will keep it from shifting around too much in its harnesses, but the thread loops will ultimately be the thing that hold the heart in place against the force of your walking momentum.
It's a specific rec for gorilla glue (I use the super glue gel) because that's the one adhesive I've tried so far that /doesn't budge/, especially for attaching things to fabric. I've had E6000 and contact cement both peel off in similar applications.

>>9945643
Buy a lacefront wig if you need something with hair pulled back, like in your image. Otherwise, it really comes down to styling - "natural" hairstyles will need a lot more styling than you'd expect.
>thinning out a high-volume wig so it doesn't poof up weirdly
>teasing the underlayers of a thinner wig to get more realistic volume
>trimming the bangs, etc
>treating shiny fibers to be less shiny
>darkening the roots or adding extra dimension with other colors
Depending on the length/style, you can get some decent natural-looking wigs in curly/straight/wavy styles from wig shops that sell primarily to black women.
>>
What electroplating/chroming services have you all used for cosplays in the past? I have some small decorative elements I'm planning on casting in polyurethane resin that I need chromed and I feel lost with all the options out there. And yes I do want to go with a service, I haven't been satisfied with the spray chrome systems I've seen
>>
>>9945643
Full lace or lace front wigs. Human hair is going to look the most realistic. Yes it's very expensive
>>
I'm cosplaying pic related, but I really don't want to get a wig as my natural hair is already the right color and length. Any tips on how would I can style it into this "neat bedhead" kind of look?
>>
>>9946095
>https://www.marieclaire.com/beauty/news/a19797/how-to-get-good-bedhead/
Third point addresses some products you can use - surf spray or mousse are mentioned, though I've also seen leave-in conditioner or pomade as suggestions before.

>https://thestir.cafemom.com/beauty_style/185483/11_ways_to_make_bed/130328/ultimate_tousled_bed_head_hair/1
Annoying-ass slideshow format (and ads that seem to be resistant to my adblock), but it covers a variety of methods, including sleeping in pincurls or a braid the prior night.
>>
>>9946095
What's so wrong about a wig? Generally unless it's a super short or buzzcut, natural hair is never recommended
>>
>>9946113
Might be a cost thing -- a decent wig in that length (especially at the volume needed for Mei) might run $30-40, which would be a disproportionate chunk to budget for an outfit that looks simpler to begin with.
Could also be comfort -- OP might be treating this as an easy loungewear cosplay (accessorized with backpack and oven mitts), so they're not looking to spend extra money on a wig.

I'm generally on the "get a wig" train, but this feels like a case where natural hair could work, if you get some mousse or volumizing spray and check that it's not deflating over the course of a day.
>>
Sorry for the silly question and potato quality photo, but is there a specific name or technique for gathered fabric with lace through it?
>>
>>9944606
Well there's no reason he couldn't get a real plate carrier and cover it in whatever the hell that is. Looks like plastic and pleather.
>>
File: onion_knight.png (274 KB, 300x450)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
Can anyone link me to a breast plate pattern that would be suitable for Onion Knight?
>>
>>9946438
just draft it yourself ffs
>>
>>9946398
Eyelet lace, you can find some at jo Ann’s

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.