[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: The Flash.jpg (120 KB, 600x600)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Thoughts?
>>
File: The Flash clip.webm (2.85 MB, 476x360)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB WEBM
Pretty good. By the end of it they had some okay speed effects, as they started mixing in some animation on the frames rather than rely entirely on fastforwarding
>>
>>101648001
literally better acting, writing, and special effects than the shitty CW Flash show
>>
>>101648001
>1990

DC has been doing the "fake muscle suit" shit since 1990?

embarrasing
>>
>>101648001
Not bad for its time. John Wesley Shipp was great, as was Mark Hamill and Emmet Walsh. Theme song was fantastic even if it was just Elfman throwing out his B-sides for Burton's Batman.
>>
>that costume
lol
>>
>>101648001

The tail end of the series when they decided they weren't embarrassed to be a comic book show anymore and started bringing in super villains like Trickster, Mirror Master and Captain Cold was good. Unfortunately, it was too little too late and the show was cancelled before they could save it.
>>
>>101648132

I never got that about old live-action superhero TV shows like Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, Amazing Spider-Man, etc. They were happy to use the names, the costumes, the origins, and embrace all the goofiness of the comics... but supervillains were just one step TOO FAR and so they wouldn't use them?
>>
>>
>>101648277
>>
>>101648001
Has a rad intro that wouldn't be out of place in a Batman show.
>>
>>101648310
>>
>>101648277

>The Flash vs. Beatnik Steve Martin
>>
>>101648040
It also used the Rogues more instead of evil speedsters constantly.
>>
File: The Flash Gets High.webm (2.76 MB, 486x360)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB WEBM
>>101648339
a personal favourite, Barry phases through a wall for the first time after a villain gets him high
>>
File: Hilarious.webm (235 KB, 640x360)
235 KB
235 KB WEBM
>>101648473
Also Bryan Cranston showed up as a crime boss that just started whipping throwing stars at people out of nowhere.
>>
>>101648132
>>101648170
Reminder that they gave Captain Cold the name "Wynters".

Go find some normie, and ask him if you think it would be more likely for a goofy comic book villain called Captain Cold to be called "Wynters" or the toned-down live action version to be called "Snart", instead of the other way around.
>>
>>101648132
>>101648170

I've tried watching those older comic shows from the 70s and 80s and this is why I can't get into them. I don't want to watch the Hulk fight generic mobsters and mad scientists over and over again. They aren't a threat. And Amazing Spider-Man was just Spidey fighting nothing but bank robbers for 13 episodes.

I gave up on the 90s Flash because it did the exact same thing and I got sick of him fighting nothing but petty thugs every episode. So the comic book supervillains DO show up in it? I knew about Mark Hamill as the Trickster, but didn't know about Mirror Master and Captain Cold. Is it only for a couple episodes at the end of the series?
>>
>>101648565
That episode was fun. Captain Cold was constantly making ice puns throughout it. Which I appreciate
>>
>>101648001
I liked it at first, but I find it hilarious how they avoided using villains from the comics even though as early as the second episode they were introducing mad scientists and supervillains, and even a superhero they got two episodes out of as the show went on.

I read that they wanted to team up the rogues for Season 3, but other than IMDb (which anyone can edit) I've seen no sources on that. More than likely the "rogues" would just have been Pike, The Ghost, that guy Henry Allen put away and maybe Trickster.
>>
>>101648643
Scudder and Cold only get one episode each. Trickster and Pike (a new character for the show) were the show's only recurring villains (although they name-dropped The Ghost so constantly you'd think he was a major rogue).
>>
>>101648643
It picks up around episode eight or nine. There's the two Deadly Nightshade team-ups, tan Invisible Assassin, time travel to a dystopian future, even an android woman who wants to live and not be a gov't weapon.
>>
>>101648695

That was weird. They refused to use comic supervillains until the tail end of the first season, but used original supervillains like Ghost and Pollux in the earlier episodes.

Shit, Pollux was an evil duplicate of the Flash in different colors. They could have easily made him Reverse-Flash/Zoom but deliberately didn't. That show couldn't figure out WHAT it wanted to be until it was too late.
>>
>>
>>101648132
Creator of Greatest American Hero apparently wanted the show to deal with nothing but completely mundane problems. It was the network that insisted that it have slightly more grandiose conflicts every now and then instead of just "trying to stop corruption in Major League Baseball ("The Two Hundred Miles-Per-Hour Fastball") or an assassination attempt ("The Best Desk Scenario")."
>>
>>101648643
>And Amazing Spider-Man was just Spidey fighting nothing but bank robbers for 13 episodes

One time he fought a Mummy.
>>
>>101649207
And Not-Jackal and Not-Ben Reilly.
>>
>>101648001
The shows scheduling was a nightmare. It was always moving around.
>>
>>101648361
>It also used the Rogues

Now that's just a blatant lie.
>>
>>101649207
>One time he fought a Mummy.

WELL YA GOT ME THERE.
>>
>>101648040
>better special effects
Come on now.
>>
>>101648643
I will say that Spidey TV show did a good job with JJJ. Has he ever been bad in any Spider-Man adaptation? I can't think of a single instance. Even in those shitty Disney cartoons they still got JK Simmons.
>>
>>101648001
I enjoyed it.
>>
>>101648036
>Wrecking the liquor shelf

FLASH OF VANDALISM
>>
>>101648001
I thought it fit well with the Burton Batman aesthetic.
>>
>>101648643
How is The Incredible Hulk? I got a DVD boxset of it recently but haven't gotten around to watching any yet, not really sure what to expect. Hope it's decent though.
>>
>>101651017
Literally just The Fugitive except he turns into a wrestler every episode and fights gangsters/mobsters/bigfoot. Comfy show, Bill Bixby gives a really great performance even when the material isn't great.
>>
>>101648001
i liked it a lot when i was a kid
>>
>>101648132
the only good supervillain from the comics was Trickster. I guess /co/ gets all horny about them using the other villains but the truth is they were changed too much and were pretty lame.

Also, the best episode is the one where he ends up in the dystopic future, and it doesn't feature a comic supervillain, only the pilot villain who killed his brother
>>
>>101648643
It didn't happen because they were ashamed or whatever, but because cop shows were really fucking popular in the 70s and 80s (there were dozens of them, it was the 2nd most popular thing after sitcoms), and the primetime superhero shows followed the trend.

Doesn't explain 90s Flash but it was more comic book like, it just didn't use supervillains from the comics.
Also, the same can be said about Lois & Clark. There was only Lex and Metallo from the comics I think.
>>
>>101651017
It's pretty good, deals with a lot of social issues. They changed his name from Bruce Banner to David Bruce Banner because the first name Bruce was considered too "faggy" in the 70s.

Though the sad walking away version of the Hulk theme is kino as fuck.
>>
>>101651242
Howie Mandel was Mxyzptlk
>>
>>101651304
Forgot about him. I only remember the Superboy one.
>>
>>101651304
They did Intergang a lot though. I did like Dean Cain's Superman though, he didn't seem to take himself too seriously.
>>
File: Wonder Woman 1x03 (14).webm (2.62 MB, 1280x720)
2.62 MB
2.62 MB WEBM
>>101648643
The only villains they could use in Wonder Woman for instance because of their limitations would be like Cheetah (who was just a crazy woman in a catsuit at the time) and Dr. Psycho. Types of characters that were villains in the show sometimes. Dr. Psycho is basically what? A mad scientist with hypnotic powers. The only thing they would add would be "Oh, they are from the comics", but nothing more than that.

Also, there used to be this idea that superheroes were crimefighters. Nowadays fighting crime is the last thing non-street level superheroes do, but it wasn't always that way.

Even when you take the Superman movies, the only supervillains were Zod and his henchmen.

We still got Baroness Von Gunther and Fausta for what is worth. And comic-like original villains (the comics at the time also had a lot of one-time throwaway villains)

Funny, the WW show had a Pied Piper doing things very similar to Flash's Pied Piper.
>>
>>101651444
The Intergang was a lot different though, wasn't it? And this is what would happen to supervillains when they would get used in the shows. Mirror Master has the same name of the character but is completely different in his abilities. Captain Cold has the same abilities but has a completely different name and motives.
>>
>>101651502
>crazy woman in a catsuit
desu I'm here for it
>>
>>101651502
Also, when they did things more comic book-like but still even far from full on silver/bronze age comic books, like Wonder Woman fighting a giant gorilla, people did and still do find it too stupid and corny. Batman could get away with it for being farcical, but should every old superhero show be farcical? it would actually ruin them
>>
>>101651654
And let's not forget people did find Batman '66 too stupid and corny for decades until it became cool to like it again
>>
I was a big fan of swampthing as a kid I was so happy when we got cable and usa network I think I never figured out what time and day it was on and ended up watching weird science or duckman instead
>>
File: batman.0.jpg (84 KB, 1200x800)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>101651693
People always liked it old chum
>>
>>101648170
In the 70's and 80's, superheroes were still regarded as children's entertainment. TV studios adapted comic books to attract younger audiences and capitalize on audience awareness and interesting concepts, but still tried to keep things grounded so it'd also appeal to adults. The kids have the hero, their parents had "relatable" foes like crooks, mobsters and mad scientists.

Not to mention most of these shows were relatively cheap and couldn't afford flashy superpowered battles.
>>
File: Black Canary.png (310 KB, 396x554)
310 KB
310 KB PNG
>>101648846
FUN FACT: That's Katie Cassidy's father.
>>
>>101651017
The first TV movie is great, not only a very emotional (if toned down) take on The Hulk, but an outstanding old-fashioned tragic monster movie as well. It's pretty clear to me that Ang Lee was aiming for the same tone, but missed.

The show itself is good, but gets repetitive after the first season. You also have to laugh at how the show portrays various blue collar criminals (or cops doing their job) as irredeemable villains Hulk deservedly smashes, but Banner very obviously has had to some very shady things to forge all the passports, IDs etc. that he uses. The one where he sneaks into a nuclear power plant and endangers everyone there is jaw-dropping.
>>
Odd how Mark Hamill seems to be drawn to roles where he acts like a goof and laughs a lot
>>
>>101652976
He was cast as the Joker because of his performance as the Trickster, and basically flip-flopped between that archetype and Luke Skywalker-esque honorable stoic and slightly naive for his entire career.
>>
>>101651242
>It didn't happen because they were ashamed or whatever, but because cop shows were really fucking popular in the 70s and 80s (there were dozens of them, it was the 2nd most popular thing after sitcoms), and the primetime superhero shows followed the trend.

That's actually a good point I'd never considered. Makes sense in context of what was popular on TV at the time.
>>
>>101648001
I loved the series, I even own it on DVD. I was so happy getting it. My dad wanted to borrow it to watch it. The only thing that bothers me is that neither Barry Allen's from either series look anything like the comic books but they both work
>>
>>101648001
>T H I C C
>>
>>101648001
It was funny watching this show and Lois and Clark and noticing the same sound stages
>>
>>101652976
and has an undesired crazy female groupie a year before BTAS
>>
>>101654134
Lois and Clark uses this set as the street in front of the Daily Planet
The front for the GCPD also appeared (and in Wonder Woman too)
>>
>>101654393
Neat.
>>
>>101654393
establishing shots of Central City PD in CW Flash always reminded me of police department in 90s Flash -- i think they both have that timm/fleisher -esque art deco artchitecture and even the low angle is the same
>>
>>101648846
>Good luck, I'm behind seven proxies!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.