[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>Comic News
This collection is a fair bit shorter than the first so I'm going to post till I get close to the image limit and just pick up with Vol. 3 tomorrow.

>Prior Threads
>>103308943
>>103315830
>>103337712
>>103358004
>>103380389
>>103399946
>>103425151
>>103443618
>>103463107
>>103482390

>Personal News
Just got told by my boss that they are going to send me to a conference on their behalf. Shame it isn't psychology but whatevs.
>>
>>
>>103502764
Fuck do I love Hush's look.
>>
>>
I bet this was a fun time reading weekly
>>
>>103502738
>conference
What do you do for a living, if you don’t mind me asking?
>>103502789
You’ll love his origin too. This version is far better than Loeb’s
>>
>>103502896
As my name suggests, I teach a variety at courses pretty frequently at uni's although I haven't done that this semester. Courses include intro to psychology, cognitive, social, stats, research methods, and one of those orientation to the major classes (prepared to teach basically an undergrad catalog). Now, my job is to coordinate the process of students rating faculty members at the end of the semester (requiring me to coordinate with a lot of big-wigs). In the process of trying to find another part time teaching job like a class or two in with my schedule. That or get a PhD and then teach officially at uni.
>>
>>
Sorry for the delay. Internet is an absolute disgrace right meow.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103502966
I got sick of the adjunct grind, and went full time admin. But I miss the teaching. I do NOT want to get a PhD. That way madness lies.
>>
>>
>>103502738
HERE WE COME WITH STEPH!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>
>>
>>103503255
>>103503255
>and went full time admin
That is starting to sound better and better. I adore teaching, but dealing with student bullshit is beyond draining. And the biggest issue I had is that you always find a way to take it home with you. It's never completely gone. Working admin I can leave my job at the door and it has been a transcendental experience.
>>
>>
>>
>>103503332
My biggest thing about adjuncting was twofold: 1) I had 50% dropout rate (which was so frustrating), and 2) I kept getting my classes yanked or changed for fulltimers in the last week before classes.

Oh, and 3, they never let me teach the second semester, so I kept getting stuck with the most boring course possible, for two years straight.
>>
>>103503426
My last teaching experience was at a community college teaching intro-psyc. There were literally no C's in the class. It was seriously a perfect split at the end of the semester with half the class passing and the other half failing. The lack of middle-ground was startling. I literally discriminated those who could from those who couldn't and it felt kinda weird.
>>
>>103503479
I just wanted to teach, and people refused to show up or give me their papers.
>>
Just checked my rate my professor rating. Overall rating is a 3.5 with over 80% people would take another course. Makes me feel good. I definitely have a "following" of students that take all my courses which is schweet. Currently working with a past student to get them into grad-school. ALready got two previous students but one is failing out. Makes sense. She's great at undergrad where her work makes the minimum requirement but she has absolutely no drive to "kill themselves" with work. Grad-school ain't no joke. Feel kinda shit in hindsight for recommending her. Thought she would have got her shit together.

>>103503505
That's fucking insane. You literally put yourself into your lectures and presentations and they could literally give two shits. You are there because you want to be there. They are there because they probably just want the credit.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103503569
Yup. I didn't get it. But I was the kind of person who really wanted to be in school (until halfway through grad school, when I realized all of my courses were some version of Marxism - I was English Lit).

I feel bad about your student, but people gotta know what they want to do.
>>
>>
>>103503641
Selina's arc was so sad in this story. But I love that it led to the Valentine run.
>>
>>103503627
>but people gotta know what they want to do.
You hit the nail on the head. She graduated as a psyc major and then went to social work. She had absolute no prior social work knowledge which I assumed she had considering her decision to enroll in that major. Also have you ever considered going back? My biggest hurdle is the GRE and deciding what specialty area to go for.
>>
>>103503661
Right there with ya.
>>
>>103503674
I know exactly what I would do, but I have no drive to research. I just want to teach. And I knew too many PhDs who spent their whole careers as adjuncts to really want to do it.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103503809
Someone said this was retconned, but I've never seen evidence of it?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103503693
Totally understand. You gotta do you. The realm of Academia is so fucking weird.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103504000
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

Not kidding. This is why I got back into comics. She'd been gone for three years!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103504492
I thought this was a really cleverly planned issue, and a great debut for Steph as Spoiler.
>>
>>103504507
Question, Bro - is Snyder your fave run of Batman? Or just one that you really like?
>>
>>
>>103504607
Just one that I really really like. I feel like my favorite Batman run is honestly from the DCAU and that makes me feel like a total contrarian. I love Dini and Cooke as writers and I have very very little experience of older writers so I feel like I'm kinda limited for options. Really like Winnick despite haters. Daniel can go fuck himself. I appreciate what he does, but he does not belong with main Bat universe and the fact that Joker lost his face and Battle for the Cowl happened under his watch makes me sad. Of course I enjoyed Morrison's run and Manapul & Buccellato is always gorgeous. Tomasi is honestly very hit or miss for me. Go figure. Dixon is always fun and Azzarello definitely has a flair for Bats.
>Dini is probs my favorite. Go go Arkham Asylum/City and Heart of Hush. So fucking good. And let's not get started on BTAS.
>>
>>
>>103504830
Cool cool. I don't actually like Snyder, but I like a lot of the stuff that happened around him (mostly Tynion). Similar to how I feel about Morrison - I don't like his actually books, but I love the Batman Inc status quo (Batgirl Steph, Red Robin, DickBats).

Dini is so good. I just wish he was fast enough to turn out one issue a month. Or didn't pick too many series. I wish they'd give Dini's Batman stuff an omnibus, starting with his Tec run, and including his issues of Streets of Gotham and Gotham City Sirens (that would cover it, right?)

Winick is fine. Not awesome, but fine. Daniel is a HORRIBLE writer. Whenever someone tells me Battle for the Cowl or his Deathstroke run is good, I'm just baffled. His Batman and Detective runs are almost forgotten (as they deserve).

DixonBats would be a pretty cool storytime, but I don't know what kind of audience you might get for that. Maybe do one of his Robin trades? (you do volumes 3 or 5 and I'll be there like hotcakes, since they feature Steph heavily!)
>>
>>103504607
Holy shit!!! I completely forgot Miller!!! As a writer he has forever shaped the landscape of main Bat-Lore with the story Year One. It's simultaneously a Gordon story as much as it is a Bruce story and it is absolutely fantastic. The narration compliments the gorgeous pencils/inks on the page. Yes, I more than enjoy Zero Year but I guarantee that Year One is what carries over into the lore. On the topic of his overall universe is a whole other story.

Onto the story! Miller goes from Year One to All-Star Batman and Robin which is fascinating as Bruce undergoes a monumental personality shift once he gets into the groove of Batman. This is the most egotistical and otherwise "extreme" version of the character I've seen in a while. He is more than content with leaving Robin alone in a Bat-Cave with the only means of feeding himself is by eating the local vermin. This Batman has an inflated version of himself that cannot be measured, a distaste of the Justice League, and a strange father complex that never quite manifests.

Going past that. In Dark Knight: Last Crusade we see a Bruce that has leveled the fuck out and is a Batman at the end of his ropes. He can barely go out but still he pushes himself to the limit (still being successful to a degree). This Bats is tired above all else and was hoping to pass the torch to Jason.

Dark Knight Returns Bruce is a man that had 10 years to rebuild everything he lost in his youth (to a degree). This Bruce also has old man strength (which is a total thing) and uses that along with his experience to become a Bat that is a true force of fucking nature (see link belows). His saga afterwards is ridiculous, yes...but I still loved it. Dark Knight Strikes Again and Master Race are titles that could never be in the mainline but feel perfect for a continuation of the Bats originally introduced in Year One. Maybe my favorite...who knows?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEaX_uHHFUA
>There was a 60fps version but if was weird.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103504969
Do you think people might be down for a Loeb story time starring Long Halloween, Dark Victory, and Hush? It's been a while since I've read a positive story by him.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103505095
That's a pretty cool appreciation. I only really like Year One (I love that the most of all Batman stories), think ASBAR is crazy - a lot of craft, but it's in the service of nothing interesting - Last Crusade was pretty strong, DKR is a beautifully crafted but really frustrating book to me (because I just don't enjoy anything that's happening - except Carrie). DKSA is just too far for me, and Master Race was okay, but felt really "safe" compared to the others in the series.
>>
>>103505182
I just don't like Loeb. I like Sale (and Lee) when they work with him, but his plots SUCK. But I bet it would get some other people involved.
>>
File: 924.jpg (341 KB, 1014x1240)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>103505322
This, IMO Hush and Long Halloween are grossly overrated.
Is there anything from him you like though? I personally love Dark Victory, it's one of the few mystery stories where the twists all make sense and aren't just some fakeout.
Also pic related is great.
>>
>>103505182
I'd be down for any Batman story times, really.

Also, I wanted to say that I've been following your story times since you started with Black Mirror, and I love that you're fostering discussion about the books. I've been busy, so I haven't been able to jump in and discuss, but thanks for the story times and engaging conversation.
>>
>>103505440
shit, just realized I posted in an active storytime, forgive me
>>
>>103505305
>and Master Race was okay, but felt really "safe" compared to the others in the series.
In hindsight, I agree with you. Especially the ending. But considering how much shit had transpired up until that point I am okay. Also I'm pretty sure that "The Man Who Laughs" is part of the Miller saga as well as Long Halloween/Dark Victory to some extent. If I could receive help in placing those that would be awesome.

Most positive rant. A friend and I got into a conversation about video-games that we felt not only lived up to their promise, but continued to give far beyond the consumers dreams. These are games that give and keep on giving. You be the judge. Love to see the answers.
>Torchlight II
I have been playing the ever loving shit out of this. There are so many mods that can turn this into virtually a different game. About to hit triple digits with playtime. Fucking stoked.
>Borderlands 2
This is a game I am definitely in triple digits and working towards exceeding a thousand. It is a game that gives and gives and gives and gives...you get the idea. Higher difficulties require specialized styles of play but it is still enjoyable and being able to respec at any time is a godsend. Also I love a shotgun that screams obscenities when fired.
>Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy
According to Steam I've logged around 250 hours but that doesn't come close to the actual number. I remember playing on custom servers , the natural browser, and most of all X-Fire. I'd say the actual number is closer to 2,000. Shit was cash.
>Pokemon Silver
I've gushed about this game so much in so many different threads. I'll just say 16 Gym Leaders and an Ultra-Champ to stomp.
>Spider-Man for PSX
Level select, character viewer, mutlple costumes, movie viewer, what-if mode, collectibles and more. Move over Spider-Man 2. You give nothing when beaten. Fuck you.
Would love to hear what games you all found to be products expertly delivered that keep delivering past the point you would expect.
>>
>>103505460
You're fucking golden. Enjoy yourself. I've posted in many many wrong threads before.
>>
>>103505322
I feel like a Morrison run is obvious. Do you think people would enjoy a complete Legends of the Dark Knight web-comic run? I can work on collecting a more comprehensive storytime in the meantime. All I need is names an issue numbers and I can generally work from there.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103505440
Eh. Ultimatum really soured me on a lot of his work. I don't HATE Hush or Long Halloween or Dark Victory, but they just have too many holes for me to love them.

Catwoman: When In Rome was probably the one I have the most fun with. Or Superman For All Seasons.

But if you want that sweet, sweet Sale art, I say go for the excellent Superman: Kryptonite, with much better writing by Cooke. That's where you should go.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103505497
Interesting video game choices. I'm only a casual gamer, but the games I love to return to are:

Kotor and Kotor II - richest story, makes you feel like a Jedi (at least when you hit level 10).

X-Wing Alliance freeplay - best balance of arcade simplicity and more crunchy flight sim in a Star Wars setting.

Age of Empires 2 - just so much fun to get your civ up.

I do really want to play Spidey, though.
>>
>>
>>103505659
I seriously love everything about your choices (especially KOTOR II. so fucking amazing). One of my friends still plays Warcraft 2 to this day and watching him play is fucking mesmerizing. I can't even imagine how much time he logged but his play-style said it all. Also here's another game that I feel hits the criteria.
>Wario Land 4
Admittedly some may see a basic platformer but it is a game that I can go back to for the foreseeable future until I'm dead. It is a game with tight gameplay. It is a game with excellent level design. It is a came with stellar music. ANd it is a game oozing with style and pizazz that would make other games weep.
>>
>>103505669
I just thought of one - an O'Neil run. I would be up for finding out the numbers of that... :)
>>
>>
>>
>>103505783
You find the numbers and I will happily collect them. I just want something that is verified and not just whatever I come up with.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103505772
Nice! I love the feeling you have when you really master a game, and the smoothness of your play is just impressive.
>>
>>
>>
>>103505820
Well, even if you're going to stop with Superheavy, you have all of Zero Year, Endgame, and that, right? And if you do All Star Batman and Metal, that'll give me even more time to track down a list. :)
>>
>>
>>103506125
Actually already covered Zero Year, but I still have four standard Snyder volumes of the main series, three TPBs of All-Star Batman, and a custom compendium of Dark Knights: Metal. Tons of time.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103506330
How is she able to hold him like that? With one arm?
>>
>>103506393
Nanomachines, son.
>>
To anyone that is actively working on creating their own comic/cartoon universe, I have one piece of advice for you....CREATE A UNIVERSE BIBLE!!!! Holy shit did I wish someone told me to do that early on. I got about 6 issues into a 8 issue series when I realized my plot revolved around contrivances and because I hadn't fully worked it out I was screwed. Also my characters didn't end up how I wanted them to and that was simply because I didn't flesh them out enough. I never really considered the physics of my universe or how the world's history changed to reflect current events. Basically I had a decent story with a half assed world (and even that's a stretch). Before you even consider scripting, write out everything of importance and keep it in a binder.
>Character descriptions.
>Locations.
>Organizations.
>And most of all a Universe Timeline

You will thank me later. I'm still working on my bible. Currently at 30 thousand words and still have a while to go. Turning out awesome though.
>>
>>103506460
Eyyy
>>
>>103506393
She learned a bat-grip that allows her to utilize a special kind of suspension. Its called suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103506490
I got all these Mann covers signed.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103506895
Poor Luke gets no respec!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
How many more of volumes of this eternal stuff
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103507346
There are three in the collection.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103507827
So...I just did a spreadsheet of the main O'Neil things, and it's 104 line items...and at least one of those is Birth of the Demon...
>>
>>
>>103508389
As long as someone can verify it is a complete/legitimate run I'm always willing to take a look. This Snyder thread is well over a hundred issues in just this run alone.
>>
>>
>>
>>103508451
I will look into it. I'm also seeing what the easiest forms they are in - looks like the issues tend to be scattered throughout some different trades.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>103505820
>>103505831
>>103505843
Taking into account Tommy's abusive parents, his desire to be just like 'perfect life Bruce Wayne' makes a lot more sense and shows more realistic mental instability than 'Ur dad didn't kill my mom'
>>
>>
>>
>>103508691
I'm not going to lie. This new Hush origin has exceeded all my expectations. Fucking fantastic.
>>
>>103506490
Clay Mann is the best artist in the industry right now
HiC #1 was shit but his art was still A game.
>>
>>
>>
And that is it for tonight. I hope that everyone has enjoyed! See you kool kats tomorrow!!
>>
>>103508751
Goodnight, friend!
>>
>>103508720
And it was done so concisely.
It also made his Black Manta-ness (living wholly to fuck with Bruce Wayne) make more sense. The Loeb origin and motives never really made sense for stories like Heart of Hush

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.