[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: sd.jpg (1.39 MB, 2456x2440)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
Post all your homemade vehicle-related projects & questions here. Broken go karts, shitty motorcycles, and miserable motorized bicycles welcome!

OP's project: Currently working on making wooden bicycle wheels out of 2x10s. Next pic related.
>>
File: DIY yes.png (161 KB, 1276x778)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
Shitty bicycle wheel plans in pic
>>
File: hotdog.jpg (986 KB, 2731x1549)
986 KB
986 KB JPG
Oh shit, you actually did it. Posting pink razor scooter turned to a life of crime; rear wheel recently ripped apart from the 7 horsepower it was forced to take. Parts to be re-used somehow soon.
>>
>>1398008
Predator 212?
>>
>>1398024
Yep, the Hemi version. Couldn't believe it actually had pushrods till I opened it up to see for myself.
>>
File: shopping cart.jpg (910 KB, 2261x1717)
910 KB
910 KB JPG
>>1398008
Also made this scrap-pile shopping cart go kart thing I made back when I was 16. Don't have any better pics of it right now but I can go take some later. People love this kind of stuff! One guy even recognized that it was made of shopping carts and had a good laugh.
>>
>>1397997
I dont know why people make fun of this guy. the guy who invented those legit solved a serious problem. they were poor as fuck and it lets people move a few hundred kilos of goods around town. made entirely of scrap.
>>
>>1398045
Are you fucking blind? There's no drivetrain and it's assembled of vines and gnarled wood. This doesn't move anyone anywhere. This is like those Chinese inventor meme, nothing was truly accomplished here.
>>
>>1397997
Good anon. Good.

MO MONEY SON!

i want one. Mine is going to be electric tho. Can dc motors really just run open underwater?

https://youtu.be/2A-iUrjzc2k
>>
>>1398008
Get big sproket mini bike wheel and tire off tge interwebs bro
>>
Damn, this thread is good timing. Started planning out my off road go kart last week.
>>
I realized that making f1 level downforce aero (not as impossible as it sounds because i have no regulations) was driving me nuts so I quit my track car build for a while.
I looked up my file count and my "race car project" folder had over 250 CAD files and most are named "random letter + random number" and file picture is absolutely useless (most of them are minor changes like 3 degrees of wing adjustment to be fair but still a shit ton of files)
>>
>>1398248
Sounds like a death trap. I would highly doubt a run-of-the-mill DC motor would even run underwater. I'd just go with a cheap gas engine with a snorkel or elevated intake; it doesn't take much to hydrolock an engine

.>>1398277
What the hell do you need that much downforce for? Is your project an actual car or one of those fancy professional go-karts?
>>
>>1398179
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chukudu
you're dumber than a nigger apparently
>>
>>1397997
its like a flintstones motorcycle
>>
>>1398179
It moves around the same way a kick scooter does. The innovative part of it is that it is sturdy, cheap as fuck, it's easy to make and to mantain and it can be used to carry heavy stuff around and earn money.
>>
File: HMA.jpg (212 KB, 654x350)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
>>1397997
>>
>>1397997
>>1398045
Has any one here ever put one of these together? All I ever hear about these is what western reporters/vactioners see. I wonder how quickly one could be built and how durable one made from homedepot supplies would be?
>>
File: 45346456.png (141 KB, 1121x665)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>1398311
Just wan't to maximize cornering G's for fun.
It's size is probably comparable to most of the Formula series cars so pretty big. I've given up on it for now as it takes way too much time to run the wind tunnel simulations and then try to optimize it further as I'm not a professional aerodynamics.

Pic is from time when i tried to do the whole car (spoiler missing) in one piece but then i started to mainly optimize front wing and the under body
>>
>>1398179
While it really isn't an invention on global scale. But when you take into account the lack of education (and lower IQ), tools and materials one could see that as an impressive achievement.
>>
>>1398482
Did you actually anticipate on building it? I've seen people construct their own racecars before (it requires an ASSLOAD of cash, dedication, and skill) but it is possible. The cars I've seen were mostly open-wheel designs with a sheet metal body; for all of the complex curves on your model, you'd probably want to look into fiberglass. Seems like a helluva project.
>>
>>1398447
Hell, you could probably just build it using branches out of your own backyard. I really can't see any joinery techniques, other than the strips of rubber wrapped around to hold the pile of shit together.

It'd be just as effective to just make a DIY razor scooter out of actual building materials.
>>
File: canamsa45%20005.jpg (60 KB, 640x427)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>1398482
what software does wind tunnel simulations?

my passion is home made vehicles. not that ive made on. too many skills to learn before I could do that. but theres something magic about a guy going into his garage and coming out with his own car.
>>
theres a guy 3d printing his own aston martin.

websites http://replicadb4.com/
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (150 KB, 1280x720)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>1397997
So Minibikes have been getting my intrest.

How do I make a frame of one with no bender?
>>
>>1398814
Pie cuts and welds, none of your bends are going to be precise enough if you try and free ball it. Imho you're probably better off just buying an actual pipe bender....
>>
>>1398825
Aye, but then silly little project starts to get expensive.

And most of the pipe benders I looked at seem to only work with soft pipe materials
>>
>>1398482
How have you validated your simulations?
>>
>>1398835
Manual pipe benders are like $30 at Home Depot and you won't need anything bigger than 1/4" steel tube for a minibike frame. It'll be a workout, but is totally doable in your garage.
>>
>>1398848

>1/4 steel tube

Way overboard for a minibike frame. And not something a cheap EMT bender (which is roughly 18ga tube) could handle, I think.
>>
>>1398857

That's why I said
>won't need anything bigger than 1/4"
Implying less than.

Who knows, op might be a unit and needs it XXL. An EMT bender will do just fine.
>>
File: DSCN2515.jpg (95 KB, 450x599)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>1398814
Without a bender, I'd use square tubing and lots of hard angles.

Pic related.
>>
>>1398857
This is what I was referring to, and is more than enough for a minibike.
https://thd.co/2Jr1X7i

>>1398860
Doing it this way is probably a hell of a lot simpler too.
>>
>>1398869
>>1398890
goddamn ponies in my good Christian HMVG thread
>>
Pones are instant ban on /diy/? Neat.
>>
>>1398335
>>1398179
I saw one of these in a Deutsche Welle documentary just yesterday, on conflict minerals in eastern DRC. It seemed to work surprisingly smoothly for an all-wooden scooter, and because of the severe corrugation and pitting in the roads, the cars could only go like 20km/h anyway.
>>
>>1398681
What is that they filled the voids between the wood form with? I have no idea so it might be something obvious/basic.
>>
>>1399265
its usually foam. now you can use allsorts of foam. mainly pink insulation foam. just sandwich them together.
some have even used spray foam.

then you can cut it with a hot wire cutter, and sand to get smooth surface.

from there, you can surface it with something then fiberglass over.

if they gonna shape metal over the buck I don't think they bother filling it.
>>
>>1398274
Got pics???
>>
>>1398814
Spend 50 bucks on cl..
>>
>>1399408
This. Unless you already have the tools and scrap metal to use, it's cheaper to just buy a used frame.
>>
File: 84308.jpg (62 KB, 800x800)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>1399458
Sadly, this is England, and mini bikes of that design aren't really a thing.

>>1398865
Ours are more like picture, but are aluminum forms. They going to be up for steel bending?

>>1398859
Yup, big fat fucker here. Also you mean 1/4 ID or OD? As that seems tiny. Was thinking 1/2 with thin wall to keep the weight down.
>>
>>1399323
>>1399265
>>1399220
>>1398549
>>1398447
>>1398335
>>1398045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjsmJGh2V-8

vid related
>>
>>1398311
Damn... well, it already has a 24hp? Water cooled briggs. Was a runing john deere with a busted deck and frame. Torched all out but the frame, motor, and rear end.

Melted a bunch of saftey switches and shit tho so i cant get it running. Plus loud.

Maybe i will just keep it out of the water.
>>
>>1398482
Shit bro. Just build a miata kart. Suppised to be pretty cheap cornering fun
>>
>>1398814
Cut notches and bend and then weld.
>>
>>1398683
3d printed 72 Chevelle 4x4 fleet.

I will take a dozen please
>>
>>1398825
Could use a foot bender and conduit. Need reinforce the hell out of it and ita galvanised
>>
>>1399827
conduit would be absolute shit for a frame. can't hardly weld it, plus bending is a bitch since it usually buckles alot
>>
>>1400027
I head you can fill tube with sand and cap the ends before bending it to prevent buckling. Has anybody tried this that could confirm?
>>
>>1398008
That Body by Jake seat is epic!
>>
>>1397997
those pants would sell for like $300 at Abercrombie
>>
File: IMG_3874.png (1.56 MB, 1136x640)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
>>1400141
Totally. I was going to put the original panels on so it was even more ridiculous but they all got destroyed in a freak box moving accident. Oh well.
>>
>>1400039
sounds like it would work, but idk. still wouldn't use conduit though
>>
>>1400039
It is common practice in brass instrument manufacture, they also will fill the tubes with water and freeze them for bending. The thing is the fill puts a great deal of pressure on what ever you stop the ends with and can pop them out spilling your fill and ruin the bend. It is a bit of a trick even in the thin walled brass tubing used in musical instruments, never got it to work in any steel tubing.

I generally just use a conduit bender, you can bend surprisingly thick walled tube in those thing if you hit the tube with the torch before bending.
>>
I just thought of a way to make a go kart out of old bicycle parts and some scrap. Will start posting this project once I have the parts I need.
>>
>>1400691
Good luck. Bicycle wheels are a pain in the ass to work with though, especially if you don't have the proper tooling.
>>
>>1400792
I absolutely do not have the proper tooling. We'll see how this goes soon enough.
>>
File: bike-1_orig.jpg (214 KB, 1100x618)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>1399469
1/4" tube should be plenty, you just have to make sure everything is braced and nicely supported. There is no shortage of plans on the interwebs so until you've got a bit of experience I would suggest stealing someone else's design. Your pic doesn't do a good job with scale so I can't really give advice there, but I would highly recommend buying lots of spare tube and practicing until you can produce clean, consistent bends every time.
>>
>>1399822
Almost anything with a unibody makes an awesome go-kart if you hack enough out; Corvettes, Miatas, BMWs, you name it.
>>
>>1398681
>what software does wind tunnel simulations?
scale models and water.
>>
>>1398681
I pirated Ansys and use CFX (or something like that) that comes with it. It also has Fluent witch is probably better but i can't really get it to work.
CFX is pretty easy to use.
The hardest part is making the model (in solidworks) if you want to have anything but simple curves
>>
>>1401143
There is software out there, the guy who measured the drag of anime tiddies used some in the paper he published.
>>
>>1401309
thanks for reply. I probably wont get into it desu, i have so many things to do and not enough time to master them all. but its nice to know its there if needed.
>>
>>1400027
Oh. Well this dude buikt a bike fro 1" and 1 1/2" forks. Figured it would be fine.

Tube looks better op, but you cant beat square tubing for easy work
>>
>>1400039
Can confirm it works for coper tubing. Fines salt was used on youtube.
>>
>>1400141
AHAHAHA! Bro, i didnt even see that! I stuck a row machine seat on my dirtbike once.
Absolute kek
>>
>>1400149
10/10 trying to find one of these to street tag and upgrade
>>
>>1400929
I hope yall brace that shit up tho. Lol. Good to know. Front motor and rear wheel drive is pretty much the only requirement.

In 5-10 years i am buikding a BMW M5 cart. Over 500hp stock...
>>
File: Prowler2010.gif (20 KB, 400x400)
20 KB
20 KB GIF
Okay this looks like a good thread, I'm making a go-kart for street use because I don't have the money to buy a car and tune it, but I want to go fast.

I already have the motor and I'm currently rebuilding it (instead of buying one I got a free one from work, I want this to be a learning experience), and I had a coworker agree to help me make the frame. I'm modeling the frame after pro karts, offset seat, low to the ground, etc.

I don't know what tubing to use, forums say 1-1/4" tubing but that seems like overkill and I think they were talking about offroad karts but that's the only number I saw. My buddy who's gonna help me weld it up said 1" with 0.06" thickness, but that seems like it would be too heavy. Would 3/4" work?
>>
>>1402164
id go with 1" for the main parts of the frame and then use .75" for extra support where needed (i.e. crossmembers). the pic you posted looks like it uses two different thicknesses of tubing
>>
>>1402164
>fixed rear axle
I hope you use a diff
>>
>>1402194
On a go kart? Literally who cares?
>>
>>1402194

it literally doesn't matter m8
>>
>>1402194
As long as it has four wheels you don't need a diff.
>>
>>1402275
or 3
>>
thinking bout building a go kart, but i need an engine first. is the predator 212 any good? ive been searching CL for used engines, but even the used Briggs are more expensive than a new harbor freight engine.
>>
File: $_3.jpg (31 KB, 738x280)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1402648
I've been using predator engines for all my builds; they're solid and run great. I have a 6.5 horsepower tecumseh engine and It's just garbage compared to the predators. Couldn't recommend one enough, personally. When it's time to go buy one, be aware that the 212cc comes in 2 varieties: one version with belt-driven valves and another version with pushrods and a hemispherical head. People say that the hemi version—selling for the exact same price—puts out almost one more horsepower right out of the box, and having used both, I believe it!. You can tell the difference by looking through the box at the valve cover.
>>
>>1398248
>Can dc motors really just run open underwater?
>>
>>1400149
I'm more interested in the AC-225
Looks to be in great shape
I've had mine for about 40 - 45 years
>>
>>1402669
Is yours still going strong? That tombstone is my first welding machine and I swear it can fuse the world together. Even when I'm slapping together some non-weldable rebar or the rustiest piece of junk you can imagine just for fun, it makes a strong weld. Amazing machine, but it was just too beefy for some thinner stuff so I ended up buying a mig//flux core welding machine down the line.
>>
>>1397997
Someone mentioned narc UFO plans on /deepdiy/, can you give me a link pls?
>>
File: blueprints.jpg (93 KB, 305x370)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>1402863
You mean these?
>>
>>1402681
>Is yours still going strong?
Just as good as ever.
I changed the leads last year. My son kept fussing each time I fired it up about all the bare wire where the rubber flaked off from age.
(I just made sure to keep the leads separated)
The fan had been noisy and I considered changing it but while I had it apart for the new leads I did a 'touch-up' cleaning of everything and just oiled the fan bearings (bushings)
It works great and will weld anything!
Being AC only it's difficult to make pretty welds but once you can do it, other welders are easy.
I even got my son to use it recently for some 2"x2"x1/4" square tubing.
He did a decent job with it making two 4'x4' frames.
When it came time to connect the two frames together with 1' tubing (making a 'cube') he went back to my MIG machine.
I bought it in the early 70's from Montgomery Ward for $100 delivered.
I splurged and paid the extra $10 for the wheel kit so I have $110 +tax in it.
>>
>>1403132
Are the new ESABs actually worth it? I've heard they've got plenty of problems.
>>
Actually i'm planning on building a Tank, it's 2.5 meters long, 1.5 meter large and 1.8 meters tall (without turret actually)
I'm on the CAO part, welder and advanced in 3d printing, ironsmith and woodworker

The only problems i'm actually facing is the mecanical part because i need to find 2 small gears and 2 larges gear plus brake system and something to fix to an engine

I need help too on the engine, it will be a diesel engine because it have a high torque and diesel prett cheap but old engine can work with fries oil or alcoohol too. Do you have recommendation about the engine ? (small size and imagine for a car of 1,200 tons
>>
>>1403822
Your biggest problem is going to be weight. If you construct your tank with a proper steel frame and thick plate metal (not sheet metal), you can forget about using a small engine to power it. Stick to basic lightweight materials (i.e. Plywood, sheet metal) if you want to be able to use a small engine. Another concern is the tracks. Over-engineer them, and they will be too heavy. Under-engineer them, and they won't mesh well with the drive wheels and/or break. Drive train is actually relatively easy to figure out - it's either you can use two engines, one for each track, OR use one engine with two different clutches. The clutches should be independent of eachother so that you can turn one track at a time. Since centrifugal clutches are out of the picture, I'd suggest using two slip belts, one for each track. Belts act brilliantly as clutches simply through controlling their tension (loose = slippage (clutch engaged), tight = driving (clutch disengaged))

Good luck.
>>
Anyone have any experience with microwave welders? I have a need for a welder no money and 5 microwaves but also want to avoid killing myself
>>
Would it be possible to buy minature jet engines and construct a jetpack a la Buzz Lightyear? I'm not particularly interested in an entire suit (that's just more weight).

I'm a mathematician more than I'm an engineer, but on paper it seems possible if the engines/thrusters (or maybe the wing structure itself) can rotate (between upward and forward orientations).
>>
>>1403919
Microwave welders are good for spot welding thin stock, but not much more after that.

>>1403940
Even if "mini" jet engines were even remotely affordable, the weight of such an engine plus the fuel needed would be too much to lift you off the ground. The closest thing you're going to be able to get to an "affordable" jet engine is a pulse jet - those can be made with minimal skills, tough they usually only produce 10-30 lbs of thrust.
>>
>>1403979
>pulse jet
I just read up on these. Apparently they can cause hearing damage at close range. That's a bit too loud for my liking. Do you know of anything else that might work?
>>
>>1403999
No man you can't just build jetpacks it's hard
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 960x720)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
OP here. Working on designing a quasi-motorcycleish thing with three wheels. AMA.
>>
>>1404008
Well, I guess that idea is dead. What other sexy homemade transportation methods are there? I want to work on something that will have the allure of being either uncommon or high-tech looking.
>>
>>1404027
Would you happen to have a throwaway email that I can use to contact you (and exchange real emails in the process)? I've had this idea but I have no engineering experience, so I have a bunch of questions to ask if you know the ins and outs of this sort of undertaking.
>>
>>1404032
Just build a powered parasail. You don't need a pilots license or anything
>>
>>1404027
Was planning something strikingly similar if I couldn't find out how to attach the rear wheels of a bicycle to a go kart axle.
>>
>>1404036
Not him, but I'm also looking for something "unique or sexy". Since Iron Man (lmfao, maybe in a century) or Buzz Lightyear aren't feasible, I'd really appreciate alternative project ideas.

I want to use this transportation for getting from my dorm to my classes (which are a 25 minute walk away). What would you recommend that is relatively portable, manageable, and not too expensive? (A powered parasail isn't very manageable and is pushing it in the expense territory).

Thanks so much.
>>
>>1404042
Motorized longboard? Longboards were really popular at my university for some reason.
>>
>>1404046
I like that idea. Not especially unique, but the utility and portability will be out of this world. Thanks anon
>>
>>1404034
Fire away.

hainesholzladen@gmail.com
>>
>>1404041
Bike wheels are tricky. Even if you weld one side of a bike axle to a spindle or something like that, you still have a huge risk of the axle bending since it is only supported on one side (as opposed to a regular bicycle fork). To solve this, I plan on constructing my own bicycle rims so that I can use a thicker axle and better bearings. See second post.
>>
>>1404067
All good, just had a eureka moment. Only problem now will be finding a way to put a sprocket on that was never meant to attach to it.
>>
>>1404068
Although it depends on the power of the engine, I'd strongly advise against using regular thin bicycle sprockets. I used them before on a motorized bike I built, and although the chain didn't break, the teeth on the sprockets eventually wore down to the point where they were razor-sharp. For my project, I'm going to buy a #40 chain/sprocket set so they don't wear down like butter.
>>
>>1404072
Don't worry, I was planning to ditch those from the get go. I personally stick to #35 chain and have never had problems with it on my builds. If I ever go past 10 horsepower, I'll consider #40 chain.
>>
>>1404042
+1 on the motorized longboard. If you have a little bit more cash use a mountain board instead of a longboard. You'll be able to blast over shite/unpaved roads and potholes no problem because you'll have actual pneumatic tyres and bindings.
>>
>>1403915
Actually when i meant small engine it's something between 75 to 200 hp, small is juste for the size like a general car engine
For each wheel drive i was thinking about using the internal differential of the gearbox with brake drum and after this output make a reductor for amplify the couple

What do you think of it ? or tips ?
>>
>>1399690
thx mate, that was a nice watch!
>>
>>1404188
How do I know what mountain boards are good ones? There are tons at several different price points and I can't tell the diffference between them
>>
>>1398683
that;s a really cool project, but last update 7August 2017. I wonder why
>>
>>1404332
Looks great; if you've got the metal working skills, go for it. The most these guys on /DIY/ work with are lawnmower engines. However, a standard differential setup wouldn't work - you still need two clutches so that you can disengage one track at a time. I have no idea what I'm doing when I'm talking about tanks, I'm just talkin out my ass here.
>>
File: 1421471612433.gif (253 KB, 549x168)
253 KB
253 KB GIF
>>1404332
http://www.gizmology.net/tracked.htm
Go look at this for some steering inspiration. Got some interesting ideas that might be helpful.
>>
>>1404609
I've never seen a tank with locomotive linkages before. Only problem with linkages is that each of the wheels have independent suspension, hence why only one or two wheels at the top of the track are powered.
>>
>>1404670
>>1404609
>>1404554

Why would a standart differential wont work ?
I mean, it's pure tempered steel and the efforts in each side are the same as a car with a slightly difference about the weight, even so not that much because it should weight with globally 400 kd of engine and reductor weight a total of 1200 kg or 1.2 tonn (with me inside) that the standart weight of a car

With a car engine it should work but i'm not please about the fact i need to manually make a friction imput for mae it turn
All the rest is like a car for the engine and it's manual transmission so i can judge by myself the imput

I'm a professionnal welder (that by fucking cheat missed the french worldskill in metal working :'c ) anyway and work in CAO, i'm fine with it

Thanks for this link It look nice

I think in the future i will post a board furthermore about update of my project because it's a long projet that i started 10 years ago, but i was too young to improve it better, now i can

What i fear is that in my fucking country builder like me for unusual things like tanks are certainly not welcome, i don't find any oppressive law about it but i don't find any good too... and laws are fucking trash and tons of it so i'm lost about this
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 960x720)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>1404840
A differential should work, but you still need a way to stop and control the speed of the two output shafts from the diff. Possibly individually-controlled disk brakes on either shaft?

As far as legality goes, you should be able to construct a tracked vehicle as long as it doesn't have any operational guns. Here in America, you can stick all the guns you want on it as long as they're under .50 cal and semi automatic, but I know Europe has some cucked laws.

In other news, I've bought a steam bender from Rockler so I can make the bent rails on pic related: >>1404027
>>
File: Progression 11 tourelle.png (39 KB, 1016x536)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>1404952
Yeayh

I though about a double friction brake system on each output have it's own brake , for each side it have one small*** brake that just have to slow down a lot one side and at limit it stop it and the second brake on the same side should be to just stop the tank

Laws sucks but what sucks more are the populations, because "hurr durr people hate people and because he build a tank and i can't i should piss him by calling police for this"

People here are such asshole that because they are jealous and brainless, lazyshit and fuckhead they piss people like me that wanna build something out of the shit of life just for making something fun for once
>deeptalking off

I just finished to 3d print a prototype of the main wheel and tracks entraxe for the clutch and it's fine
What i need now are :
subcontracting lazercut steel
finding steel profile and structure
getting B96 car papers for legal transport heavy tow
finding a garage or small hangar in renting
time
>fucking hell i need time, lots of free time
and maybe cash or money
Diesel car engine that fit my steel monster

>btw the gun will be fake because i don't wanna try jail in my country
>>
Why the hell are mountainboards so expensive? A good Trampa goes for 600+ (!). Is it possible to DIY a mountainboard with this kind of sturdy-looking material? (see here: http://www.trampaboards.com/35-holy-pro-trampa-deck-on-vertigo-trucks-superstar-wheels--ratchet-bindings--685-mountainboard-p-12522.html)
>>
>>1398248
That turd cant even get out of the water. Nice.
>>
>>14023809
While not completely necessary, a diff makes 3-wheeled vehicles significantly less scary.

t. Someone restoring a Tri-Sport 440 and owner of an ATC
>>
>>1404332
Hey just an idea but look up "MacroMachines" on YouTube, he built a tank and used a lawnmower engine to power a hydraulic pump which, thru some steering leavers, powers 2 hydraulic motors, one for each track. Pretty awesome if you ask me
>>
>>1404986
Used snowboard, you just have to buy the trucks and wheels. Buy an used/entry level MBS board on eBay. I got my MBS Pro 95 for $200 on eBay after a couple months of waiting.
>>
>>1397997
what do you actually have to do to make a street legal custom/home made vehicle? if i could daily a small enclosed go-kart like vehicle to work, i would. i've looked at smart cars but they are really boring.
>>
>>1405066
Depends where you live, but most states will allow you to register home-made vehicles as long as they meet certain requirements. Check your local DMV website, they should have a list of everything you need to have/paperwork you need to file.
>>
>>1405064
Thanks!

Will that kind of board be durable if I plan to add a battery and motor to the board?
>>
>>1405088
I don't see why it wouldn't be strong enough. If you do to the snowboard route, make sure you get a fairly short/stiff one. If you plan on taking it over uneven terrain/up Hills etc I would recommend buying the biggest motor/battery combo you can afford because off roading requires lots of torque (6374 size or 2500W+ are average electric skateboard motors) . If it's going to to be a city cruiser you can get away with somthing smaller, but if it's not fast enough to scare you what's the point? Hahaha
>>
Have never really made one, but I'm looking to build my son something here soon since he's going to be 5 in November and seems to have my passion for mechanical things.

I'm halfway through a '70 F100 on an '03 CVPI frame swap, but afterwards I'd love to build a two seat go-kart that can handle both of our weight and be driven by him.
>>
>>1405108
>make sure you get a fairly short/stiff one
I get why you'd want it to be stiff, but why is it important that it's short?

>if it's not fast enough to scare you what's the point?
Couldn't have said it better myself haha
>>
>>1405109
You're a god-tier father.
>>
>>1405109
Here's a great link to start out with:
http://www.diygokarts.com/kart-plans/kart-plans-main.html

They have articles on how to do everything; frame, brakes, drivetrain, steering, etc.
>>
>>1405278
Thank you sir, appreciate it.
>>
>>1405062
That's nice informations here thanks
That tanks i will make it, it will be nice and proud, but i have various wtf idea to evolve with this
>>
>>1405122
The shorter the board the lighter it is and the easier it is to rotate and you are less likely to get stuck on rocks. Also shorter boards tend to be stiffer.
>>
File: image.jpg (74 KB, 629x346)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1404027
>>1404952
Steam bending went almost successfully. The problem is, I believe I'm using too thick of a board (.75" oak), and that its not quarter-sawn. I had a little bit of springback after 20 hours of drying, but the problem is that a few cracks developed perpendicular to the grain, and they're just barely big enough to be worried about. About $20 worth of HD oak into the scrap pile.

This time around, I'm going to laminate .25" oak rather than going with .75" boards.

Updates coming next week; going to NYC for vacation.
>>
>>1405899
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9UPihp04xY
>>
File: roidch piano.png (417 KB, 650x609)
417 KB
417 KB PNG
>>1404332
I would recommend a low(ish) hp high torque engine like a cummins r2.8, a tank aint gonna be fast and you've got a lotta inertia to overcome
>>
>>1407722
>a tank aint gonna be fast
>not making a Cromwell
>>
File: Sans titre.png (121 KB, 1131x408)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>>1407722
>>1407740
Actually i set up my goal to have a top speed of 100km/h on normal straight road and have a functionnal 50 km/h normal speed

The torque will be made by a standart gearbox for car and some other gears with break for the friction differential.

Actually i'm looking for an engine + gearbox that roll on diesel and old model because it can run with fries oil and other stuff, i wanna be brutal with the engine without regreting the price of acquisition.

cummins r2.8 is nice but too expensive not really adaptated. And little too big for the tank i build, dimensions are too big

Actually i have an engine place that an go on a square of 800 cm long, 920 cm large and 750 cm tall (engine bay)
>>
>>1408065
Something closer to an M22, Tetrarch or Scorpion then? Best set yourself a weight limit and work towards that. If you think a turret would be too heavy something akin to an ASU-57 might be more what you're looking for, not that it has enough armor to stop a 7.62 from most angles.
>>
File: 18n3dz3vki4z5jpg.jpg (57 KB, 800x450)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1398045
They made a statue of him, it's funny because that is likely the greatest engineering achievement of his country.
>>
File: sheeeeeittt.png (13 KB, 500x378)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>1397997
>tfw too stupid to invent regular cart or human powered cart like ancient Chinese ones

>invent stupidly heavy wooden bicycle
>>
>>1397997
fun fact: i saw a tv documentation about that vehicles.
as far as i remember you wasnt allowed to marry until you own one.
>>
>>1408397

Actually the scorpion have kinda cool shape that i can work on
I previously put the picture of the virtual modelisation here
>>1404975
>>1404332

Initially i don't want it to be a war machine i just want it with thin sheet of steel like 1.5 m to 5 mm where the fuel tank is to protect from accidental failure
The frame is made of 3 mm thick tubes.

For the engine, a diesel engine of peugeot 206 can be fine or something like this.

I'm actually calling local industry for finding one that can make laser or plasma cutting. Steel turning or selling steel sheet and tubes.

If this project work fine, i think it will be seconded by an other projekt of a half scale (1:2) of a tiger 1 (functionnal exept the gun)

I have one question, do you think this can work if a make a kickstarter of this project ?
>>
>>1408574
I don't really see any kickstarter incentives. Better off YTing it and grovelling for patron dollas.
If you're not going for strong armour or a turret then perhaps something like an all-terrain beach buggy, with solid walls and tracks, would be more what you want it to look like? Light and speedy, low centre of mass, and good at tackling tough terrain. Perhaps make it able to ford rivers with a snorkel and some waterproofing?

I'd advise getting an oxyacetylene torch and do the welding and cutting just with that, will almost certainly be cheaper than hiring someone else.
>>
>>1408580
Don't worry buddy, i'm a professionnal welder and used to work on military/armored vehicule (the kind that rescue people and go everywhere)

This tank will be Mig and TIG welded (135 and 141) with steel, everything exept particular parts will be steel, (rest aluminium and inox)

For the steel i set up to laser cut or plasma cutt by a subcontract, expensive but i have 5000 euros to build it up and i already have the welding machines.

For the cool idea for going everywhere like in water
>It have the possibility to go in 65cm of water without having any water infiltrations for sure.
After this i need to make a special mecanism to seal the front engine aeration but don't know exactly how, want to keep the little wings. With this it will be able to go 93 cm underwater waterproof.
After this i will need a more technical work for inside engine cooler because it will heat like a stove and i don't wanna die you know ? Anyway it's made for it half way

And last specification, it have between the chassis and the ground 30 cm space
>>
File: View 556.png (41 KB, 569x431)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
>>1408590
For illustration
>>
>>1408590
I don't know, can you hook up your TIG machine to oxygen to use it as a plasma cutter? Perhaps with something other than tungsten as the electrode?
>>
>>1408939
I already have a small plasma cutter device but trust me it's clearly not the same process inside
>>
>>1409138
Manual Plasma isn't very precise for the things i need to build, it's practicle for disassemble or adjusting but not for dimensions and hole cutting
BTW oxyacethylene isn't the best/fastest/strongest way to weld thin sheet of steel (under 5 mm) even so gas is expensive
>>
>>1408939

They are not even close to being the same process. The best you could do along those lines would be to simply crank up amps way too high so you just burn through the material. But the edge would be fucked up to the point of being practically unusable, and it simply wouldn't work at all if the work was of any substantial thickness.
>>
>>1409308
>They are not even close to being the same process
I see that now, plasma cutting just melts metal and blows it away while oxygen-cutting burns the stuff. Still, using oxygen and a lower current should burn through it just the same as a oxy-acetylene cutter since once you've got it hot enough you don't need the acetylene, or in this case current. Not sure if a TIG torch can provide that high gas flow though, probably better off just striking an arc with the torch and blowing oxygen at it with a seperate air nozzle of some sort.

Now I'm wondering if you can use a MIG welder as a thermic lance by running it with oxygen.
>>
>>1409308
>>1409387

Thanks for your suggestion but i already know how it will be made.
The only things i'm facing is how to make the brake system and where to find steel gear like in car gearbox but twice a pair of it.

It's for an internal silent reducer but that made a reducer and that power up the forces.

I have difficulty to know how it i can lift it the chassis and what color i can make it (artistic tag or pin up ? furry or 4chan logo ?)
>>
What are the best security features to design into a homemade vehicle to deter theft?
>>
>>1410091
I have a motorized board that must be turned on through a helmet that uses voice ID. The board itself silently collects motion data using a Wii accelerometer, and when it's put in "park" mode (which can only be toggled through the helmet) and detects movement for more than 5 seconds, a loud siren rings.

This is in addition to locking it on bike racks like normal people do.
>>
>>1410091
Hidden engine kill switch. Run the wire under the motor and through the frame so the wire can't be easily cut.
>>
>>1408593
are you sure those tracks will work? they seem awful thin + tall; they might fall off the rollers easily
>>
>>1411528
Yup thats exactly the point of my actual work and study

There are 20mm diameters steel rod that can pivot around a forged rivet.
All the steel is 5mm thick. and welded by the under plate that is in contact on the road

The steel roadwheel are spaced to go between the track and a tensionner to keep the track in tension
The ratio is nearly the same as for bicycle gears
I've made a prototype of the main wheel and the space that is between the pivots used to mesh
>>
>>1411535
I would suggest hybrid electric drive, having two electric motors eliminates complex transmissions found on tracked vehicles, electric motors are reversible and can make do with a single gear ratio due to their torque, additionally they can perform the majority of braking. A brushless motor connected to a combustion engine can act as a starter motor and generator, the engine + generator only need to output just enough energy to propel it at cruise speed while slowly charging, the batteries act as an energy buffer to handle acceleration, climbing hills etc.
>>
>>1411557
TankAnon here

Actually i though about that but it require too much space and too expensive to build.
It have also the inconvenient of being too dependent of each other unlike a true hybrid.

If the main engine goes out the electric motor wouldn't go far and the goal of an electric engine is to work without fuel consumption.
What is great and that i can pick up in you idea is using and electric motor do give it a punch at cruise speed but it would be for a very very slow speed and lot of reducer but the idea is still good.
Why ? Because electric motor for a 1.2 tons //2645,55 lbs vehicul wouldn't be suitable for high speed and high torque. But for a technical slow movement it can be nice and thanks for this tips.

I though about electromagnetic or magnetic brake for having less friction in material but just friction of magnetism to slow down one side or both side, do (YOU) anon know a way to make a big electromagnetic brake ? that i can make DIY ?
>>
>>1411756
A motor itself is a magnetic brake, just short the windings while you're moving (or use them regeneratively). In general, a magnetic brake is formed when you change the magnetic flux (amount of magnetic field lines) through a shorted winding. This shorted winding can also be a block of solid metal. To get the highest change in flux you'd need pretty much a magnet that spins around, and the only real difference between making a purpose-built brake and making a brushless motor would be the windings. While brushless motors will have a lot of fine windings to get the thing to run on lower current at higher voltage, you'd probably want coarser windings to have lower resistance, but it probably doesn't make too much difference since the coarser windings will get less total flux.

I agree that the Ferdinand Porsche-style hybrid transmission would probably be too heavy and expensive for what you want, but I wouldn't rule it out until you can get/make the kind of mechanical transmission you'd use instead. Not sure if you could make a tank transmission out of a car differential or two, might be an interesting thing to try.
>>
>>1411802
Actually i was try to make something similar to this, it's in a Sherman, it use in this order :

The engine
Speed reducer
Differential
Brakes for each sides
Speed reducer
Main wheel

I was thinking about making two big steel wheel that would turn next to the differential outpout and brake them for changing the direction. It would be brake with bycicle brake in parrallel like 15 bicycle brake for each steel wheel.
Pic related

I took informations about brakes and i'm facing the problem of how to avoid the "glassing " effect of the brake when it heat too much and get too much friction. I though about making small holes and blurr the surface.
And making and aluminioum rod that would brake too to clean the surface of brake powder but making aluminium powder isn't good too.

>Struggling struggling this project is way more complex thant it would but i wanna go fast and fine
>>
>>1411994
I just thought that you could try putting some magnets around each half-shaft from the differential, which you'd run stator coils around, so you could wire one up to the other (with a motor driver in between) so that one shaft would slow down while driving the other faster as a form of steering. Probably not that effective, but nice and lossless.

Are bike brakes your best bet? I'm thinking it would be hard to balance them, though it might work if you use pneumatic brakes since each pad would attain equal pressure. A big drum brake on each side might work best. Bike discs also have tiny brake pads compared to automotive discs.

I assume "engine" on that list includes gearbox, and that "speed reducer" means brake array. Why would you have a speed reducer between the engine and the differential?

You should be able to do some power calculations to see how much heat maximum you'd be pumping into your brakes when steering, from which you should be able to calculate how many discs you need to dissipate that heat. Calculating how many discs you'd need on one side to resist the full low-gear torque of your motor at maximum ground friction on the other side's tracks might also help. Speaking of which, you'd probably want a lower-geared gearbox by 1.5-2 times, though I'm not sure. The electrical resistance analogy might work quite well for calculating power dissipation.
>>
>>1412040
>lossless.

if any current flows through a wire it will have losses, and the stator lams will have magnetic losses due to hysteresis and eddy currents.
>>
>>1412047
Well yes it will be lossy but less so than a plain "resistive" brake. They call LC matching networks lossless and they aren't superconducting with superinsulator dielectric.
>>
>>1412057
>but less so than a plain "resistive" brake

I didn't read the whole thread or your entire post, so excuse me if I'm way off base, but an electromagnetic brake that does not recharge a battery or somehow use the generated electricity to do something useful is EXACTLY the same in terms of losses as any other type of braking mechanism. Energy is energy.
>>
>>1412060
In earlier posts maybe, but in that posts I was describing putting a permanent magnet rotor on each shaft on either side of a differential such that you could harness energy from one shaft and feed it into the other (with switching and resistive losses) in order to steer.
>>
>>1412063
>you could harness energy from one shaft and feed it into the other

this is a good idea, if you use the braking generator to drive the motor on the other shaft, and would be far more efficient than a resistive brake. Still, nobody would call it lossless, because there will be losses in both electromagnetic devices as well as the electronic circuitry. And I'm not being pedantic. Lossless usually means 100% efficient, not 90 or whatever.
>>
>>1412066
>Lossless usually means 100% efficient
Again, see lossless matching networks. It's electronics terminology meaning 90% = close enough.
>>
>>1412091

that may very well be true, but good luck marketing an electromagnetic motor and calling it lossless.

words have meanings, at least some of the time.
>>
>>1412092
It's not lossless compared to motors because it's not being marketed as a motor. It's lossless compared to a resistive brake in exactly the same way that a lossless matching network is lossless compared to a resistive matching network. It wouldn't be implausible to get >99% efficiency if you used superconducting wires and some excellent transistor arrays for the driver, not that it would be practical.

In reality nothing is perfectly lossless, so the word has no meaning other than in misnomers of the technical or marketing variety.
>>
>>1412091
>see lossless matching networks

They are called that simply because they avoid resistors, and are made of inductors and capacitors, and in no way is comparable to an electric motor or generator or the associated electronics, unless you somehow do all that with inductors and capacitors, and don't use any ferromagnetic material and your bearings are ideal.
>>
>>1412095
>It's not lossless compared to motors because it's not being marketed as a motor. It's lossless compared to a resistive brake in exactly the same way that a lossless matching network is lossless compared to a resistive matching network.

I give up. You are not smart.
>>
>>1412097
Ignore the second statement why don't you. Neither "lossless matching network" or "lossless braking" is scientifically correct, and in the exact same way. One term is ok to use but the other is not? I don't see where you're coming from.
>>
Tank anon here
>Thanks for your help :)

>>1412040
To choose the output of power that is already present in a car and because buying a car engine with mounted brake system and speed reducer is cheaper than buying each part and to build everythings parts by parts.

For the brake system i m actually studiyng the problem what is best, multiple bicycle brakes that is cheap to change and easy to dismount, that can be adapt on nearly everyshit i can build or car brake that need specific material and part, that require more maintenance but that assure a better brake
or both

For heat dissipation i will give this job to a friend of mine, he will do a lot of engeneer calculation i will give him every single parameter and technical data sheet about this and what i need but it's one things i didn't really put interest into, thanks anon.
Good idea about two brake drum or two brake system each side, i will give it a look it it's suitable for the tiny space i have, it should be fine.

/////////////////////////

>>1412047
for an actual magnetic brake system it should be nice for slow brake in a long road but it wouldn't be suitable for my tank normal drive, not enough power/brake

/////////////////////

>>1412102
>>1412097
Calm down you two we don't need to argue here you are both smart in a way that each other may don't understand because the debate is short. Actually you both have good idea about this, the fact is conceptionnally speaking it's hard to make it in a DIY project even of that scale due to the cost it imply and maintenance ine long therm that is require.

For a tank, everythings need to be simple, functionnal and easily understandable because of the utility and long therm use. Every good vehicule that work fine during a longlife and working with hard environnment are simply though but cleverly made.

Don't mind my english i'm french struggling to express myself in technical way
>>
>>1412166
>i'm french
>peugeot 206
It all makes sense.
>>
File: Laughing bus.gif (979 KB, 299x133)
979 KB
979 KB GIF
>>1412673
Lmao yeayh, i hope i will never buy those car for driving btw, im not patriotic for wasting the little money i have on shit

I got my quotation about every lazer cutted pieces, about 2300 €
>>
>>1403822
If you are going to killdozer please record it with some gopro or something
>>
>>1413180
No killdozer
I wanna have fun with it not destroying other people proprety nor life i don't have problem, but gonna do the gopro anyway or small parcour for people.
>>
>>1398248
Use a gas engine. gasoline is far more energy dense than any type of battery, and it would be far easier to find parts for. If you want to use it in water just extend the intake. If you were to make an electric vehicle you shouldn’t even consider DC motors, they are pathetically weak and are much less efficient than brushless motors.
>>
>>1413923
b-brushless motors can be DC too
>>
>>1404952
You can put larger guns on, you just need to pay the ATFs blood money for a destructive device permit. Process takes awhile. If I get to where I can afford it, I'm totally going to buy a surplus scorpion with gun. That'll be my midlife crisis vehicle.
>>
>>1414038
TankAnon is in France, he can't get away with firepower
>>
>Tank anon here
>>1413923
>>1413945

You both are right about it. Electric motor can be weak but considering it would be in addition :
For really slow movement to load up in the back of a tow car or for maintenance. It can be nice or just for the silence. Even if it's weak, with a good reducer, even if it is slow, it can move.
The Diesel engine would be the main one. The Electric a secondary for example.

I have one big question that got in my mind. About the cooling, does anyone of you anon know how much air flow is needed to cool down an engine ? Or to cool it down to a fonctionnal temperature. I'm working for a waterproof and manually sealed air blower inside the tank. But how much m^3 of air / minute is required for a proper cooling. Because if it over heat, the danger is crisis of exposion and destruction of the engine.
In worst case the gazoline can burn back or heat would cooked me or melt equipements in the cockpit.

>>1414038
>>1414234
No firepower huh ?!
>Pic related

On my tank i wanna a water gun because it's fun and that's enough of what i want
>>
File: No firepower .png (1.52 MB, 1324x576)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
>>1414248
Picture didn't wanted to
>>
>>1414234
I posted before reading the entire thread. I believe it's still possible, just much more difficult. The euro general on /k/ would be the place to check. Could do one of those pneumatic Nerf football cannons for giggles though.
>>
>>1414250
Is that 7.62x54r or something bigger?
>>
>>1414654
Well considering the casings have "7.6254 R" written on them I'd say not.
>>
>>1414674
On mobile, I could tell there were words, but I couldn't read em.
>>
>>1414681
>>1414674
>>1414654

>Tank Anon here

Yup it is. Tell me again we can't have weapons.
The fact is that i consider it more in a historical and collection way than a weapon. It's fun to shoot but not always, just sometimes. Anyway

On my tank i will fit a water gun or soap gun. Train air horn but i'm still short on idea about technical data of how to cool down an engine or what is the crisis temperature.

Tracks gonna be long and hard as fuck to make
>>
>>1414935
Make a light gas gun instead. Blow your enemies away with fin-stabilised discarding-sabot tungsten penetrators.
>>
>>1405066
What this guy said>>1405072
Also, don't get too held up with odd details. I live in PA, I know a guy who built a "Gt40" kit car. Here, we have to get some special inspection with pictures and shit taken by some authority. (more advanced inspection mechanic than the guy you go to).
For example of what went down, he was ready to get it done but not really. Lot of safety shit wasn't really checked yet. He didn't even have wiper blades on it so the guy went and grabbed some from the back of the shop and laid them on the windshield before taking the picture.
>>
>>1415204
>grabbed some from the back of the shop and laid them on the windshield before taking the picture.
>based inspector
>>
File: image.jpg (156 KB, 960x720)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
OP here. Got back from vacation; currently gluing up some rails for the frame in pic related. >>1404027

I rethought the design after my wood bending venture failed. I need to check out some local mills to find some air-dried/fresh cut oak if I want bends in the frame.
>>
>>1414935
I would assume that you would use an assload of radiators and possibly extra water pumps for cooling. Different engines have different operating temperatures, but I'm sure you'll reach "crisis" temps quicker powering tracks than wheels.
>>
>>1417759
>Tank anon here

Yup that's the point.
Actually my research goes with inserting airblower inside engine box and in the engine box the air is swallowed by the engine to the combustion chamber, calory and heat will be ejected by the engine itself but with a cooling air that goes on the engine.
Extra open will be added to the sides with 20 pc fan of Diam80mm making a flow.

The track don't need that more energy to be pulled than a lambda car that goes 70km/h compared to the tank at 40km/h because it will be more the mecanics that will give the power.

For the submersive mode, sides fan will be sealed closed as the front fan and a funnel in the turret will suck the air outside by the top of the turret, a water pump will suck the water that eventually goes in for the parts that i can't sealed proof "in case of"
An air tank will make a surpression in the engine room for giving air and cool it down
>>
>>1418082
electric fans?
>>
>>1401143
>>1401422
Software is ANSYS ver.17.
>>
File: image.jpg (132 KB, 960x720)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
Got the basic frame put together, minus the exterior curves. Still looking for air dried oak for bending.
I slapped some tires along side of it just to see how proportions look. Alongside building the frame, I also massacred a old camaro leaf spring to use for the front suspension. The rear wheel will have nothing more than a 3" rubber bushing (that I also salvaged from camaro parts)
>>
File: image.jpg (164 KB, 960x720)
164 KB
164 KB JPG
Here's another picture of the oak frame. I have a little sanding to do, I'm not exactly graceful with gluing parts together. All joints are reinforced with 3/8" dowels.
>>
>>1404067
Freestyle BMX bikes use extra large axles. Used them without issue on a 2 person quadracycle I built.
>>
>>1418234
yup electric fan that rely on 12volts

Even so i will add up an oscillator to get 230 AC 1000W for extra things like phone or laptop charger.

Electric fans like :
https://www.amazon.fr/ARCTIC-F12-120-Ventilateur-Bo%C3%AEtier-Standard/dp/B002KTVFTE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530718299&sr=8-3&keywords=ventilateur+pc+12v

Or other low cost
///

I think i'm overfloating this board, would you like i start a new board to speak of it ?
>>
>>1418591
Thanks for the info. Never knew there was a difference; I'm used to scrapping cheap mountain bikes.

>>1418669
Nah, you're fine
>>
>>1414248
For cooling the engine, I'd imagine you can go with a larger water reservoar. Perhaps make a 200 liter water tank covering the entire underside of the tank. This should be plent to cool an 1.6l diesel, and a big buffer in case heavy load.
>>
>>1419314
For the water i though about it but it would make toxic payload to this tank because of long term corrosion. That's a good tip anyway.

What do you mean by buffer ? Any pic to relate ?
>>
>>1419385
A normal car engine has perhaps 5 to 10 liters of coolant in the system. When it reaches operating temperature it needs to be continuously cooled by the radiator to prevent overheating.

If you want your vehicle to be closed from the outside, you could choose just have a lot of water the engine can heat up before it gets too warm. It's really simple and robust, and you could place it far down to improve center of mass.

I don't think corrosion should be an issue. If you run with distilled water and a normal coolant, it should really last for a long time. But this will be kind of expensive to fill.
>>
>>1418669
Phone and laptops are DC, wallwarts convert your your houses AC to DC.
>>
File: Sans titre.png (13 KB, 836x379)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>1419454
Yup this is clearly a good tips. I tink i will add up a double wall at one side of the tank with inox metals or aluminium tank tailored with tiny wing to cool it down faster.

Distilled water isn't a problem for me, i'm building an alambic to make DIY alcohol or perfume.

>>1419566
Yup i know, i badly told wath the purpose of what i will do.
>Pic related uncomplete electric shems

With a thing liek this crap :
> https://www.ebay.fr/i/223010199821?chn=ps&dispItem=1
>>
File: inverter range.png (376 KB, 1168x1271)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>1420031
Keep in mind that a cheap inverter produces a modified sinewave, and fancy electronics don't seem to enjoy being powered by this.

Also keep battery safety in mind when working with large quantities of lead acid batteries. If you short them, they will deliver a stupid quantity of electricity. I know it's obvious and should be common knowledge, but it can be easy to forget sometimes.
>>
>Tank anon here

I was quaestionning myself, do (You) anon have an idea what kind of color (post pic related) i can paint my tank, or if i go on B to make a lotery for the one who choose the color ?
Or a logo / name for the tank
>>
>>1421295
German tanks were aesthetic AF. Iron crosses are neat.
Are you thinking full-on camo or just one color? Also, look at spray on truck-bed liner; it's tougher than regular paint and looks militaryish.
>>
>>1397997
Clueless here, how to make a foldable motoped from scratch? Pic related.
>>
>Tank anon
>>1421753
I'm am thinking about multiple things actually, i will prepaint the whole hull in white outside and inside two time with thermal paint, then red paint outside for the good third layer and then black the outstide.
Tracks will be painted in black/grey with green dots or pixel
For fun i wan to make it entirely covered by gihlli suit .
The tube for the water canon will be covered by tree sticks.

It'will be fun. But if people have idea i'm open to discussion

/////

>>1421899
Take a foldable big bicycle, add better brakes or just add one pair of brake in addition, take a small engine that you fix over the rear wheel that give direct push to the wheel with friction
Add larger wheel, really, larger wheel and that's nearly all
>>
>>1420287
desktop compuert 75W
my graphic card alone has more and it is only mid-tier.

for desktop computer count at least 300W at basic low end, 1000W for high end (and can be even more)
>>
>>1416544
what failed?
>>
>>1422521
The original frame's side rails were supposed to be bent, as in the pic here:>>1404027

I was able to make the form for the curves, steam the wood, and bend it without a hitch. However, when the wood came off the mold after about 48 hours of drying, it had cracked and split badly perpendicular to the grain. I suspect this was due to the fact that I used kiln-dried wood rather than air dried.

I ended up redesigning the frame (by making it into a rectangle) so that it won't solely rely on curved pieces, as in pic related:>>1418337

I still plan to put bent pieces on the sides after I source some wood.
>>
Anyone got a go-kart guide?
>>
>>1422879

start here:>>1405278
>>
>>1423020
Thank you!
>>
>>1403940
https://youtu.be/JinhIHIF8Eo

These guys did it with millions of dollars and many years of research. It's totally possible, totally impractical, totally awesome.
>>
>>1423419
seems awful dangerous
>need to scratch nose
>scald face off
>>
>>1421899
You need the motor to be mounted above the rear wheel; if you have it in the middle of the frame, it'll probably be 10x harder to make it fold,
>>
>>1423419
I see your awkward jetpack and raise you a promising jetbike.
https://youtu.be/buqzrADJfyI
>>
>>1424591
These are both cool, but really impractical and useless in the long run. The problem is noise and limited fuel.
>>
>>1398248
>Can dc motors really just run open underwater
for a while - yes
after some time they would corrode to shit.
Also any voltage above say, 50V poses a risk of electric shock.
Just find a motor that's already sealed...
>>
>>1423419
They had a government research contractor working on a jet pack a few years ago where my dad works. Said it ran on kerosene and was very loud. Its interesting seeing all the money the military blows on researching new tech. Especially silly things like a jetpack.
>>
>>1424948
Maybe. However the best on the market may only have 10 mins of flight but can climb to 10,000 ft. and fly @100 mph. Thats actually some capability if you need to storm a mountain, cross a city or gtfo.
On the bounce when? Soon!
>>
>>1424965
How about a helicopter? Little bird.... Carry more. Faster. Armed.
>>
>>1424989
Cant hide little bird inna dufflebag, air drop into a hotzone with gps chute via cruise missle to avoid a black hawk down situation, chopper needs roof access when you can jetjack out windows and you can jetpack up to the chopper raining hell from a safer distance.
Jetpack!
>>
>>1424660
Too bad it's extremely hard to DIY any sort of jet engine, besides the pulse jet. Pulse jets just get too hot and are horribly inefficient to actually use them on anything worthwhile.
>>
>>1425783
Is the main problem the machining or the metallurgy itself? Surely the latter can be solved with online metal dealers, and the former with a ~$3k CNC?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.