[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: RF0611-2-temp-s.png (215 KB, 800x800)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
Anyone ever built something like the pic related? I'd love to start a basic garage gym for myself and cut costs as much as possible. Any suggestions?
>>
>>1423192
Cruise around your neighborhood on trash night and you can probably find 3 of them.
>>
>>1423192
Weightlifting racks are safety equipment.
Can you DIY them? sure.
Should you attempt to without prior experience? probably not.
>>
>>1423192
Honestly just buy one
>>
>>1423195
Yeah, I could do that. But what's the fun in that?
>>
>>1423201
Acquiring the item you seek. That's the fun
>>
>>1423203
Yeah.. I guess you're right. They're $500 or so online, I thought maybe someone had experience putting one together. I have access to steel and milling machines so I thought it would be a nice project.
>>
>>1423213
Those rails that mount to the wall look similar to the ones they use for some TV mounts. If you could find a couple old or cheap TV mounts, you would have those. Then some square tubing. Can you weld?

I’m trying to remember where I got these cheap TV mounts a few years back. Like the electronics stores all wanted $100+ for tilt and swivel ones, but then one of the hardware stores sold basic ones that tilted at 3 angles for around $20. It may have been Lowe’s. It came with two ~24” rails that mount to the walls that looked just like the ones in your pic and then two brackets that mount to the TV and hang it to the rails on the wall.
>>
>>1423213
I had thought about /diy/ing one before but decided against it do to not really know the safe weight limit of it. I ended up getting this one at really like it. Had it for about a year know.
>>
>>1423232
Can that fold in?
>>
>>1423237
No, you need something more compact?
>>
>>1423229
I had the same idea, I'll have to keep an eye out for some. I can't really weld, but I was thinking of drilling some holes and using some big bolts to hold it together (that's how it looks to be assembled, I could be wrong).
>>
>>1423239
Yeah, I'm thinking of something that can fold up against the wall so I can still park a car in the garage when not in use
>>
>>1423246
The problem without welding is you would have to find some tubing with a flange so you can bolt it perpendicular to the wall and other tubes. That’s the only reason I mentioned the welding. I’m not sure how else you would attach the square/round tubing to other parts.

If you built the thing out of round pipe (assuming it can hold the weight) then maybe you could use the elbows and T pipes for corners and stuff, drill a hole through and jam a bolt in to secure it. And then if you can find something like the bottom of a tamper (but smaller, maybe 3”x3”) that fits the piping, that would work to attach to the wall and feet for the ground.
>>
1. Craigslist
2. Home Depot buckets with cement and lumber.
>>
>>1423194
God damn it it's just a rack
>>
File: squat rack.jpg (945 KB, 1346x7995)
945 KB
945 KB JPG
yeah, someone did that before.
>>
>>1424106
Kek
>>
While on this topic. Anyone think I could DIY a 2 post car lift?
>>
>>1424098
And when it fails, it's gonna fuck you up
>>
>>1424207
That's why you over-engineer it
>>
>>1424207
I'm a pussy, I won't have more than 25 lbs on it at most
>>
>>1423192
I bought a rogue rack and my brother in law fabricated a copy. We ended up spending within 200 of each other and the the end result was mine was more precision and better made. It's possible and not super difficult but without all the right equipment it's not going to be worth it, and I'm the kind of guy that would rather build everything.
>>
>>1423192
Very easy to put something like this together. I'd suggest one of two ways. You can buy plumbing pipe and connectors. Just google pipe furniture for the basic idea. Make the vertical bars out or a series of short pipes and connect the threads with three way adaptors so you have hooks to rest the bar on (this setup gives you a low hook so you can benchpress with it). Then at the top you'll want to connect the vertical pipes to each other and the wall. Galvanized iron can absolutely hold the weight. The other way to do it would be square aluminum tubing that you can buy with precut holes. Same ideas but you'd want a different support structure. That's more modular and expandable but likely more expensive as well.

Another good trick if you do work on cars or have a shop near you is taking old rotors, spray painting them, and then using them as disk weights.
>>
>>1424369
I do work for a company that has loads of structural aluminum they use for machine builds. They may have some pieces, but might not be long enough. I like that pipe idea though, that could be the route I take
>>
>>1424359
They are running about $500 or so o line, which really isn't too bad of a price. Once I price out some material and my time I will probably end up just buying one. But, DIY is always more fun, right?
>>
>>1424207
Eh, if you use lumber oriented so the weight is down the length of the lumber it can carry a fuckload of weight. After all that's how houses are framed.

Picture the OP pic except the 2 vertical pieces are 4x4s, the cross members and support pieces are 2x4s with the ROGUE plate being screwed into wall studs, and the hooks where the barbell rests are heavy duty hooks bolted to the 4x4s.

Actually where would you get hooks like that?
>>
>>1423192
2x8s for verticals and notched to squat height. Build the rest of the cage with 2x4s and drill for rebar safeties.

Attach to wall and squat
>>
YOU MUST KNOW THE SHEAR STRENGTH OF THE METAL THAT HOLDS THE WEIGHT, THE PINS, SHEER STRENGTH MATTERS.

other than that, the compression srength should be okay for whatever.
>>
>>1423192
I considered this but honestly you're better off just buying a second-hand rack like I did. You'll feel a lot more confident in your safety once you start lifting big.
>>
>>1423201
idk, walking around on two unbroken feet because a barbell didn't fall off my slapped-together diy barbell holder and smash one of them is pretty fun

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.