[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 4517880013.jpg (34 KB, 575x431)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Bought a 2001 Chrysler 300M with under 100K miles for $500. The problem though is that it died on me in the middle of traffic the day I bought it. Took it to a mechanic and they figured out that everything was mechanically fine with it (great condition they said). It's just that the PCM is fried.

PROBLEM

Only place that can program/install a new PCM is the dealership and the assholes want to charge $1200 to do it. That's highway robbery and asshattery of the highest magnitude. Any way around this bullshit? Can I do this myself? They sell preprogrammed PCM's online for less than $200, but will it work or is it a waste of money?

Pic related, it's the car I got.
>>
>>1494112
it wouldn't have fried the pcm halfway thru a drive

find the fault, probably a frayed wire that caused a short when it started moving

get some basic diagnostic skills
>>
>>1494175
The diagnosis of two seperate mechanics is tgat the PCM is toast and siezing other systens that are otherwise mechanically fine
>>
>>1494196
any more specific info than that?

if you were in western ny i'd take it to south main auto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0yG3TwXBEw

example:
one shop says needs new ecm, hires SMA to do change, takes a look and finds frayed wire, no new ecm needed
>>
>>1494175
This is likely true. I've been a mechanic for 8 years, so far I've seen a pcm failure maybe 5 times. It's almost never the computer. However I disagree that it definitely isn't, it very well could be, but the chances aren't great.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.