[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20240210_171120.jpg (535 KB, 1209x1612)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
What is with these cheap piece of shit LED lights going out after 3 years of moderate or even light use? This is a home depot brand shop light in my laundry room that strobes out after only 3 years of use. I'd imagine well below it's 10,000 hour lifespan or whatever ridiculous number they tell us.

What is the culprit in these shitty lights that I could potentially resolder and actually get a lifetime use out of it? Nothing seems loose or corroded
>>
>>2756919
It's always the shitty power supply that craps out on anything LED before the LED's themselves die. I'm no electronics person, but surely they could make a fucking power supply for them that lasts as long as the LED modules themselves can't they? It's so bad it is laughable.
>>
>>2756919
>What is with these cheap piece of shit LED lights going out after 3 years of moderate or even light use?
Overdriven LEDs.
>What is the culprit in these shitty lights that I could potentially resolder and actually get a lifetime use out of it?
Burnt LEDs. Well, what you can do is plug it in, get some insulated gloves (because not all PSUs are galvanically isolated) and short each and every LED out with tweezers. Or look for LEDs with black spot there.
That if they are just a string for whatever LEDs in series.
If it is series-parallel, its much harder to find a dead LED.
>10 000 hour
Properly designed LED light fixture should be able to last about 50 000 - 100 000 hours until 80% light output.... But you know, they aren't even trying to achieve that because they claim 10 000 hours, which is LED lifespan under insane conditions like high current and insane temperatures.

What does it say on the driver?

>>2756947
Uhh. Nope. Rarely. Its LED itself most of the time.
And PSU in OP-pic looks pretty good. Eh, maybe it would flicker a bit, as I don't see no capacitors on 220V (110V) side.
>>
>>2756919
>home depot brand shop light
found your problem
>>
Buy a 50w driver on ebay for 5 bucks whiner
>>
>>2756985
>Uhh. Nope. Rarely. Its LED itself most of the time.
> And PSU in OP-pic looks pretty good. Eh, maybe it would flicker a bit, as I don't see no capacitors on 220V (110V) side.
>>>
>Anonymous 02/10/24(Sat)17:59:41 No.2756989▶

Every single time I've pulled apart a non-working LED I find all the LED's themselves are fine. The power supply is fucked.
>>
>>2757013
* Driver not power supply or transformer a DRIVER
>>
>>2757015
>* Driver not power supply or transformer a DRIVER

Whatever you gotta call it. The thing that powers the LEDs is fucked. The LEDs are still working if you put the proper voltage to them.
>>
>>2757013
That's odd. Maybe it is 110V vs 220V thing? PSUs are slightly different design for 220V and 110V I guess?
Anyway, heat kills PSUs too. But idk, Id imagine with dead PSU it would flicker a lot or do smth funny.
>>
>>2757018
Say Driver SAY IT
>>
>>2757024
LED power supply
>>
>>2756919
That power supply looks better than expected. I figured it'd just be smps. Check the output with a meter. Get some LED strips or piranhas or something. If your supply works, you'll just have to arrange the lights on a white sheet and cover the wires.
>>
>>2756919
Every single component on that board can be tested and replaced
>>
>>2756919
Visual inspection of the board generally won’t tell you much unless something has failed pretty spectacularly. Do you have a meter? Trace voltages through and see what you can find. Check output voltage first, if that’s okay your LEDs might be fucked but that’s less likely in my experience. If it’s not go to supply voltage and trace it through until you figure out what’s not working right. You’ll have to do some math to calculate expected voltage drops or if you have a second working light pull the driver from that to compare, easier and faster that way
>>
Well turns out I have no inclination to learn electronics to save 50 bucks. Hopefully the next light I buy is a better brand but in my experience all home use led brands are fucking shit
>>
>>2757013
This. Last one I took apart was a blown cap. It’s that same stupid flickering, and they’re built in a way that you need to replace the whole fixture unless you want to solder in new components to the driver board.
>>
File: IMG_2997.png (1.64 MB, 2048x1536)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB PNG
A DRIVER is cheap 4 bucks 4 fucking wires
2 in 2 out ….lions and tigers and wires oh my.
>>
>>2756919
Use a real transformer instead of this switching power bs.
>>
>>2757210
Are those 120VAC in?
>>
>>2757230
Yes
Ebay my friend. Yours is probably 5 watts or less
Thank me later
>>
File: IMG_2998.png (906 KB, 2048x1536)
906 KB
906 KB PNG
>>2757230
I buy all my electronics straight from china
Eliminate the middleman
>>
File: IMG_2999.png (894 KB, 2048x1536)
894 KB
894 KB PNG
>>2757245
Oops
>>
>>2757245
>>2757248
>cheap chink driver board shits the bed
>replace it with another cheap chink driver board
>>
>>2757254
Its the same stuff you buy retail Einstein.
Only much cheaper.
>>
>>2757210
>>2757245
>>2757248
Imagine buying this shit while €12 gets you CE rated doubly insulated SELV that will not flicker or kill the LEDs or cause a ceiling fire and actually does 10 years.
>>
>>2757261
Cool story bro
>>
>>2757259
The same stuff with no testing whatsoever, no protective casing for electrical insulation and stable heat dissipation, parts that are mounted out of compliance, overcrowded pcbs, caps of questionable origin and recycled balloons to insulate the transformer. And yet people put this inside their fucking walls and hope everything will go right.
>>
>>2757245
We don’t need that X capacitor, just backfeed the switching EMF into the line.
At least the thing is over-rated so it will last longer though.
>>
File: No.jpg (33 KB, 628x628)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>2757024
>Say Driver SAY IT
>>
File: IMG_3001.png (656 KB, 2048x1536)
656 KB
656 KB PNG
>>2757277
Here you go Grandma…the one op has isnt in a case either Delmer
Dont you have some ham radio weather broadcasts to do ?
>>
>>2757226
I disagree. Use mains powered driver.
Linear dropper, capacitive dropper. Or even a switcher but in simple buck configuration.
>>2757210
It is not that easy. You need to know how LEDs are wired in order to pick a proper driver.
Also, they are $1-2, not $4. For $4 you get scammed.
>>2757230
Universal mains probably
>>2757254
China LED driver more reliable than certified China LED driver.
>>2757261
>no flicker
Not given.
>>2757283
Yep. You're not getting paid for no EMF.
>>2757299
I trust less a driver that is in plastic box. They are shittier than bare PCB drivers. Idk why.
>>2757277
> no protective casing for electrical insulation
not needed
>stable heat dissipation
Case prevents dissipation
>parts that are mounted out of compliance,
For 220V you need just 3 mm clearance with no soldermask.
> caps of questionable origin
Nobody uses nichicons in LED drivers
> recycled balloons to insulate the transformer.
Virgin PET tape. Cheaper than recycled crap. What is important, this is not a transformer, this is multi-winding choke, because shit is either a buck or flyback. And main concern is that it could be alu windings instead of Cu.

But I still doubt it is the driver that shat the bed. I blame LEDs.
>>
>>2757015
You are wrong. It's a power supply or PSU if you are lazy.
>>
So heres how its going to unfold.
OP is taking my advice and buying a led DRIVER
from EBay.

He will easily install said driver and be elated
He will also thank me for saving him money.
>>
>>2757015
What's the difference between AC/DC power supply and LED driver?
>>
> Case prevents dissipation
Hence ‘stable’. To get a CE or any kind of certification you must show that for the entire outside the temperature/heat dissipation are stable and well distributed. As in something like >>2757248 could suddenly get very hot in one single spot that could touch some plastic and start a fire. The case is there to distribute the heat and make the outside slowly warm up instead of spiking to 250F for a few seconds

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.