[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1711853869891629.png (75 KB, 256x319)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
I want to capture waste heat from a portable generator's exhaust to heat my house during winter power outages. How do I do this without killing myself from CO poisoning?
>>
the heat from a generators exhaust will be so minimal it won't make a meaningful difference unless you live in a 10x10 hovel.
>>
File: 1712111484330812.jpg (114 KB, 1262x1262)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>2781022
Isn't like 50-70% of the energy in the gasoline spent just heating up the exhaust? Even if I could just keep my bedroom warm, that would be a huge win.
>>
>>2781041
run the generator inside your bedroom, but with a longass exhaust pipe that exits out a hole in the wall/roof/window.
The more pipe length thats in your room, the more of the heat you willl leech from the exhaust.
>>
>>2781047
This but drill a few holes along the exhaust for more heat to escape, you'll know it's working when you feel all cosy and sleepy from the nice warmth
>>
>>2781047
That is the easiest but potentially deadly. Can mitigate CO buildup, by having ventilation at floor level, so heavy CO gas will flow out of the room when there is a leak.

Ideally, you want to circulate water around the exhaust, like w a copper tube with coolant in it, that loops to a radiator. Just an aftermarket car radiator inside your room, or an oil cooler as they are much smaller. There is a flange that the people who make the Zombiebox generator enclosures (Mesa, AZ), make for various common generators. You remove the spark arrestor. And I would visit the hardware store to get slightly longer stainless steel hex-head bolts to hold their flange on. It will have to go into a flex. A 1-1/2" car exhaust flex in stainless steel can be had on ebay for about $25. Plus, stainless exhaust clamps to hold it on.

The other end can clamp onto the top-bar used in chain-link fence. That tubing is in 10 ft sections i think, and not too much money. Hardware store will have that too.

As a bonus, roll a layer of hardware cloth and fiberglass insulation around the end. Do it using the top-bar chainlink pipe as a form, then slide it almost off but leave an overlap of about 6" onto the pipe. Enclose the whole thing in a piece of common 6" single wall galvanized vent pipe. It's that kind you never use for actual stoves because of the fire hazard. It's crimped along one side, so it fits together with itself. Snap it together around your creation. You have made a muffler. No baffle, so it won't interfere with the generator.

Make sure to properly support your pipe with standoffs. The tip where the muffler is, will not get hot. That 10' piece of pipe you want to use as your heat radiator transfer to copper, will air-cool down the exhaust from a 2-4k generator to warm air by the time it leaves.

If you want to fuck with elbows, there are long-curve 90's of EMT that will fit right up to that top-fence pipe. Like so tight you won't need a clamp if outdoors.
>>
>>2780968
egr heat exhanger, water pump, radiator, fan
>>
>>2780968
>I want to capture waste heat from a portable generator's exhaust
Make the exhaust bubble through a barrel of water, which heats up the water. Then run the water through a radiator which is inside your house. Zero risk.
>>
>>2781047
>the more of the heat you willl leech from the exhaust.

Not to mention all that acoustic energy which ultimately becomes heat.
>>
>>2781067
this acidifies the water and causes your radiator(s) and plumbing to fail
>>
>>2781100
so dump some baking soda into the water to cancel out the acid.
>>
>>2781100
Muratic acid
>>
File: 1712468602287006.jpg (185 KB, 635x1014)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
I have decided that I will build a water heater.
>>
>>2780968
Put a turbot charger exhaust manifold on the exhaust, throw an old turbot charger on the flange, have it spin the impeller shaft, hook that up to an alternator and have that alternator charge a battery
>>
I have considered building a heat exchanger where the exhaust is run though black iron pipe sitting in a water bath. running the exhaust through the interior of the pipe instead of around the outside (like a normal boiler) means I could run a round brush though the pipes to clean them out if necessary.
>>
>>2780968
>Add fins to exhaust pipe
>weld watertight sleeve over it with fittings on both ends
>Pump water through this into a small radiator inside
>>
File: heat exchanger.jpg (130 KB, 1218x721)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>2780968
>capture waste heat

this faggit shows you how he made his own heat exchanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiSEGO6pYI

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.