[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 75634576345.jpg (155 KB, 1000x729)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
What the fuck? Tradies are out of their mind.

Why would he even waste his time driving over to inspect the job if he was going to give me such a ludicrous highball offer that he must know I would never accept. Is it some sort of new humiliation ritual? I live in rural PA btw
>>
This is DIY, ser.
>>
>>2802678
there's a lot more involved in properly painting a house than just slapping a coat of primer then painting over it. Depending on the amount of prep work (sanding, caulking, wood putty), paint quality, number of coats, etc, the 22k is probably typical for a professional job.
>>
>>2802678
its called a fuck off price.
ive had a bunch of contractors give me one.
i live in the boonies and each one of these fucks is from 2 towns over and dont want to work i guess
>>
>>2802682
Yeah I'll be DIYing this
>>2802683
I don't care what the fuck is involved, it'll be 2-3 dudes for 2-3 days max. You're telling me 9 man-days costs 22k now?
>>2802684
I get that, but why even bother coming out here if he's gonna give me that price
>>
>>2802686
>9 man-days
you think the only cost is labor? All the material is just for free?
look at your fucking estimate retard and tell us how many coats, what kind of paint, what prep work, how much sanding (and is it wet sanding?) etc. tons of details you are leaving out.
>>
>>2802686
>2-3 days

what sort of shed do you live in that gets pressure washed, prepped, and painted in 2 days.
>>
>>2802690
The quote didn't say that, but the exterior walls of the house have roughly 3500 sqft of surface area which would be like 10 gallons per coat, so 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint is like 7 five gallon buckets at most, so even with the most expensive paints it's under 2k. If you include sander disks, paintbrushes, and whatever other consumables will be used, materials are gonna be 2k at most. Even if you buy power washers, ladders, sprayers, and sanders brand new, all materials and equipment will be like 3k at the very most.
>>
western labor is expensive
why do you think people hire cheap beaners or other third worlders to do work lol
>>
Listening to fucking retards talk about shit that they have no clue about is irritating as hell. Unless you have actually painted a house…shut the fuck up.
Watching a tv show makes you even dumber.
>>
>>2802709
get off your phone and back to work tradie, you still have 3 more hours of sunlight.

I'm gonna vote for Biden so he can import millions more brown spics to reduce the value of your labor
>>
>>2802700
>western labor
I'm sure it's southern labor.
>>
File: 1711053368083188.jpg (84 KB, 750x1000)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
The US president asked for estimates from contractors from different countries to paint the White House.

The Chinese contractor estimates three million dollars.

And the European contractor said the cost was seven million dollars

And then the Pakistani contractor made an estimate of ten million dollars.

The president asked the Chinese contractor, how did you estimate three million dollars? The contractor replied that 1 million for paint for 1 million for labor and 1 million for profit.

The president asked the European contractor for seven million He replied three million in paint, two million in labor, two million in profit

The president asked the Pakistani how you estimated ten million The Pakistani contractor said four million for you, three million for me, the remaining three million will be given to the Chinese to paint.

And the Pakistani contractor got the contract.
>>
for every 10 people you offer a fuck off price, at least someone is going to take it and now you've made way more profit v amount of labor
those kinds of people tend to do way better work too because they aren't in a rush and know they're being paid well
bottom bidders do shit work so they can rush to the next bottom bid job and do shit work
if you can't afford it, OK. but other people can
>>
>>2802678
Everyone with a criminal record, a high school drop-out, and with a drug habit wants the fancy life with a company car, not having to go to the bathroom in a portapotty (or, in this case, paint can), white picket fence and 3.2 kids, etc. like the see on tumblr.

This quote sounds about right, it’s 80% labor, minimum. They are counting on you buying their services so you can look rich to your neighbours and have friends come over. At work, you can brag about the spanish phrases you learned, while casually dropping hints that you can afford it and it’s nothing to yourself.

Whenever my dad needed a barn painted, or a 1000 yard driveway re-sealed, the labor was always free. That’s how me, and my brothers and sisters learned to paint stuff and re-seal driveways.
>>
>>2802709
I painted my own house and all it cost me was a couple hundred quid in paint and materials. Probably did a better job than any pro since it's my own place and I wanted it done right without any halfassing.
The thing about fuck you prices is that whenever i get one I vow never to use that tradie for anything ever and warn all my friends and family about them.
Things might be going gangbusters for them now but chances are they'll be scrabbling for work a some stage and they can go fuck themselves
>>
>>2802686
>why even bother coming
The receptionist who schedules the appointment is not on the know.
The guy who does the estimate is not a handyman, and gets paid by the hour. He loves nothing else but to drive an hour somewhere and get paid for it.
I had a cocksucker tell me a job was going to cost $10,000 and 2-3 weeks out.
I called another place, he wanted to send a subcontractor out for $4500.
I found out who he subcontracted, called him and he came out the next day for $2100.
I still feel salty paying that much, but I was in a rush.
>>
>go to DIY board
>complain about contractors

>>2802678
Well, what kinda offer did you expect? Give us a number.
>>
>>2802697
then buy the materials and get to work
>>
>>2802790
6k and that's accounting for inflation
>>
>>2802813
Lmao. Why even call a contractor when you're looking for beaners?
>>
>>2802813
>6k
you'll only get that price if you buy all the materials yourself and hire a truckload of mexicans from hd parking lot to do the work. it'll look like shit, but it'll be cheap.
>>
>>2802817
I live in a small 99% white town, no beaners here even in the hd parking lot
>>
>>2802850
That doesn't answer to my question at all. You're delusional or trolling. Pick your poison.
>>
>>2802678
If it's not two story I would do it myself.
>>
>>2802819
Dude, it’s fucking paint, it’s not a 50 foot signage/ural of your favourite vocaloid.

It would be still 10 times cheaper to buy a $1000 high pressure sprayer, and then toss it once done.
>>
>>2802861
if you weren't some basement larper I'd say I look forward to seeing pics of your blistered runny diy paint job.
>>
>>2802870
realistically, not on OP's side, but i'd rather have a freshly painted house with some runs for 2k and 15 hours labor than pay 22k for perfection.
like serioulsy who even goes outside and evaluates an exterior
but that's not who companies sell to. nobody is really in the wrong here
literally watching capitalism in action
>>
>>2802883
OP is absolutely in the wrong. Assuming an actual house, multiple people needed, a proper contractor, no way he's getting below 10k anymore.
>>
>>2802686
>I get that, but why even bother coming out here if he's gonna give me that price
It means he personally didn't like you. You set off too many alarms in his head and I don't blame him. Your house (the one you're too embarrassed to have posted yet) is probably a hovel and has alligator/peeling paint/rot and every painters nightmare and the fact you live in it means you're a risk for not paying. And it is a risk because the state obviously always sides with poor people and allows contractors to get stiffed for years on end.
Either that or he has so many jobs lined up that yours didn't interest him. Tree guys are like this and will up and ghost you if nobody else in your neighborhood needs a tree down to justify bringing the equipment for yours.

>>2802883
>realistically, not on OP's side, but i'd rather have a freshly painted house with some runs for 2k and 15 hours labor than pay 22k for perfection.
>I would rather pay them less to make my house a damage sponge

I mean yeah, I personally wouldn't pay period but that's just me.
>>
>>2802870
>only a highly skilled professional can properly paint a house
This is some retarded tradie cope. Any random 14 year old mud person can do your job
>>
>>2802898
Building painting is what we did during the summer to earn some extra cash when I was in high school.

It’s about the lowest of the low unskilled labor.
Especially outdoor building painting (we did golf course building in the off season).

Nobody can see the odd run or drip 20 feet up on a stucco finished building anyway.

22 K is in-fucking-sane. They hire some kids like me (at the time) to do it anyway for peanuts.
Then after they spend their profits on meth, you’ll have to re-do it yourself anyway because the company will magically disappear.
>>
>>2802678
For a board named /diy/ - Do It Yourself
they sure love to talk about hiring fags and not doing it yourself
>>
No one has pointed it out yet but if the house is pre 78 the new lead rules are insane.
>>
>>2802813
How much do you think painters should earn exactly?
>>
it’s all a scam. you’re not paying for any expertise. they employ one white guy who visits and closes the deal then sends three beaners fresh from the Home Depot parking lot to do the work. you can’t even see any detail for the work done high up so you’ll have no idea what kind of job they did. even the material cost is inflated.
>>
I love my white vinyl siding
>>
>>2802678
I love the massengill yeast infection douche kit in the window.
>>
>>2802961
Fake problem. You don’t need a permit to paint your house. Usually, all the world is not California, and even then you probably just have to put a “this will kill you” warning on it. I’d be fine with putting such signage around my house, and dropping the flacid and weak sounding “known to the state of california” caveat that makes them sound like a scientologist.
99.9999% of the lead damage has been done. There’s not poor kids in slums eating paint chips flaking off your housing project because they taste slightly sweet anymore.
Lead makes damn good paint. Lead oxide is high-hide and extremely mold and mildew proof.
>>
>>2802974
not him but $200 for an 8 hour day sounds good
>>
>>2802974
$30-35 an hour for labor seems more than fair
>>
>>2802678
Paint your own house you lazy fuck. Why would a grown-ass man need to hire another man to use a paintbrush? You gonna have him chew your food for you too?
>>
>>2803114
not everyone has 10-15 days days of free time
>>
>>2803116
wagie stuck in his cagie
>>
>>2803031
With taxes?
>>
>>2803145
Taxes? You think painters report their income? It's a cash job, and Uncle will never hear a whisper. That $200/day to them is like $300 for most others.
>>
>>2803160
>You think painters report their income?

Here in NC it was common for painters with reputable companies to pay taxes, have worker's comp, company insurance, etc., up until 10-15 years ago when mexican companies started bidding 1/2 of a normal bid. Now when you go for a job anywhere they say you're only going to get shit pay but they won't report it and they don't expect you to pay taxes because they don't either. It goes without saying there's no workers comp, insurance, or unemployment benefits.

But then, as NPR loves to tell you, they're only doing work that americans refuse to do.
>>
>>2803160
They days of cash are limited, the government and banks are working on getting rid of around the clock. It’s not going to be easy.
I still remember when nixon took us off the gold standard. Not enough outrage.
When they decide to go cashless, you won’t be able to stop it because it’s already too late.
>>
>>2803031
48k a year pre taxes is not livable anywhere where there's enough customers to actually paint every day
i mean sure you could live, but have no discretionary income to save/invest/enjoy
>>2803116
my old man has a 1600ft^2 house he would paint for a couple hours every day after getting home from work. He was done within a week, called me over to do some trim work for an afternoon
2 coats of a dark color, less than 5 gallons I think
another gallon of a lighter color for contrasting trim
at a previous house, slightly smaller, we did the whole thing in a day. he rented a paint sprayer and I did touchups/trim
both these events cost way less than $1000 and certainly 20 hours of labor at an exaggerated most
wallah

but we had nobody to complain about any mistakes or paint bleeding or getting on furniture or blah blah blah
>>
>>2803245
First, that would be 52k/year, and that's only if you worked 5 days a week, 6 is doable pretty easy. Then there's the whole tax thing: that's probably more "post-tax" because they're not going to report it and they'll want cash as much as possible. That's more like 65k or higher pre-tax.

Next, why does everyone talk so much about discretionary/surplus income? Do you think that's a thing? It's never been a thing before until maybe once you retired, but even then, wtf? It's this why people are so salty about wages and boomers and such? Because you think you deserve "extra" money? No one has ever had that. Get over it.
>>
>>2803266
nobody is working full 8 hours every day as a tradeworker without working for somebody else with a scheduling and bidding department.
they are not getting paid cash unless they are working illegally for a subcontractor and then they're definitely not getting $200
200$ a day is shit for a man trying to raise a family and invest in the future

>why does everyone talk so much about discretionary/surplus income?
if you aren't able to invest 30% of your income in some manner of growth, opportunity or savings you're fucked long term. or at least going to have a meager existance. Most people that have that discretionary income waste is every pay check, they're not going to be happy old people.
>>
>>2803283
addendum.
willingly working six days a week is soul sucking
most companies don't permit overtime for hourly employees unless they're in a rush for some reason, but then they would have just given the job to a sub contractor with a bunch of mexicans to get it done faster
>>
Just paint it yourself. Shouldn't take longer than a month if you're a n00b 2 weeks if you're a mexican.
>>
>>2802678
>American hands typed this
Im from Denmark, i make the equivalent of $34 hourly painting shit. To be fair though, its a 4.5year long education to get a journeymans letter.

If you want cheap labor, you are going to get a result that matches it
>>
>>2802861
>It would be still 10 times cheaper to buy a $1000 high pressure sprayer, and then toss it once done
That is a brilliant idea anon. My advice? Open a painting business tomorrow
>>
>>2802686
>4-9 man days
>Each dude makes ~40/hr
>36-72 man hours
>Costing evaluates this at around 80 man hours at 100 dollars per hour (accounting for taxes and the company's net revenue)
>8k just in labor on that quote
>Any prep work, including sanding/cleaning that requires specialized equipment
>Costing puts another 50 bucks per operating hour for the use, call it the entirety of day 1, with two machines working ($800 or so, fuck it round it up to a grand)
>Paint, rollers, brushes, and primer expected to get used, another 3k
>Transporting all the equipment and materials, another grand because why not
Looks like we're at around 12k just from a made up scenario that I came up with. I don't even work in costing or know what the cost of the materials and labor actually run for a job like this though. I think 22k is probably still a fuck-you quote; maybe hedging their bets in case your house looks like a health risk to them, or has some bullshit geometry.
>>
>>2803544
Now add in marketing, insurance, lost time for a million reasons, covering for % of customers not paying etc.
>>
>>2803544
Except nobody is going to pay more than $10 for some meth heads to slather some liquid on the sides of a building.
> rollers and other dollar-store stuff for old ladies
If they don’t have a sprayer, they’re really in the right business are they?
>>
>>2803507
I already opened my painting business.
I pawned the sprayer to buy meth.
>>
>>2802870
I painted my own house, it's not that hard.
>>
>>2803023
Computer - Enhance!
>>
>>2802683
>than just slapping a coat of primer then painting over it.
fuck anybody need primer just put the god damn paint on there and stop making things to charge me extra for
>>
>>2803801
I mean, just paint it yourself, or hire mexicans, if its that simple. The result is very simply gonna match the efford, theres no getting around that. I dont care, i doubt most people do, since most people dont have to look at it or live in it.its hard to find an analogy that you might understand. Its like going fishing and being like "nah fishing like is expensive ill just use this rope", except this wont literally make your house decay over time and make renovations of the internal construction impossible or atleast alot fucking more expensive over time. You can paint a window properly one time every 2 years and it will last forever, or never paint it, and you will have to tear it out of the building, replace it and have further repairing of the area around the window to do. You are not saving yourself any money.

But again, just do it yourself or hire a few beaners. But beaners are the ones really ripping you off here, because iih pay them to tell you its going to last, its not.
>>
>>2803814
What kind of scam attitude is this? Grossly overcharge and claim someone's house is going to collapse if they don't like the price. Fuck you bitch.
>>
>>2802683
If he actually preps everything properly, that's about right depending on all the extra shit

>>2803878
We're literally all explaining that it's not grossly overcharging. It might be 10% high but I also assume people haggle which explains that gap

I do handyman work and the people that get uppity about what proper work costs don't get to be my customers
I can usually tell on the phone if they'll be like you

I'm just happy for him that he doesn't have to deal with you lmaoooooo
>>
>>2803718
When's the last time you saw some meth head with a sprayer?

>>2803801
Lmao.
>>
>>2802684
I own a business and I do this if I don't want the job. It's a more discrete way then telling someone you don't want to do their bullshit job. I normally set the price so high that if they do accept I don't mind doing it.
>>
>>2804389
Woah, people really do this?
>>
>>2804409
Yes anon. if customers are that retarded they deserve to get ripped of.
>>
>>2804361
That webm of the guy painting the bridge
>>
>>2802798
Yeah? What board do you think you're in? Of course I'll do it myself
>>
>>2804409
All the time. When you have more high dollar jobs than you can do but don't want to alienate potential future cumstomas that is the polite way.

So is pricing according to customer attitude.
>>
>>2802758
OP also didn't mention how much of that involved working on a ladder. That boosts the labor cost by a lot.
>>
>>2802774
Fuck you prices don't mean they are greedy, fuck you prices mean they don't want the job.
>Price it like you don't want it
Why are so many people retards? As for doing it better than a pro... lol. lmao, even.
>>
>>2803742
Imagine not having aluminum siding.
>>
>>2803031
That is fucking retarded low. You clearly don't know anything. This thread is a LARP.
>>
>>2803266
>Basic subsistence should consume every last dollar
Oh, I didn't realize you were a communist.
>>
File: dank nugs.jpg (7 KB, 225x224)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>2802894
damn this anon contracts
>>
>>2802686
if you're confident in your abilities and can speak some spanish, go hire some day laborers, they work hard and give them the prep work to do while you do the painting.

Odds are this is what the 22k asshole is doing anyway, my brother has dealt with these guys for roofs and stuff like that where they just cancel jobs if they can't find day laborers that day.

Long story short, lots of people become contractors because they can't get real jobs due to criminal background, drug addiction, or just plain stupidity, so finding good ones who are responsive and charge fair rates is challenging.
>>
>>2802686
>I get that, but why even bother coming out here if he's gonna give me that price
There are people that say yes and don't even think about it, i had to call a locksmith for a lockout and some indian in a shitty car came out and quoted me $500 dollarydoos and when i said fuck off he showed me all these suckers that had paid and left them good reviews and shit, lol.
It's the inverse of lowballing except people are much less aware of what a good price is and aren't comfortable saying no and going elsewhere.
>>
>>2805585
What's sad, and to the boomers credit, painting used to not be this complicated. They used to be composed of lead and oil solvents which made it not only tougher, but able to soak in the wood more. Same case with stains. Most stains now are absolute garbage and combined with the shitty newgrowth lumber makes it absolutely useless to use outside.Even after lead was banned, paint was still heady enough to not need primer as most were oil based. Then came latex garbage/acrylic/epoxy/water based, which are also "oil" based, but acceptable for the EPA because it creates microplastics instead of...well just degrading normally and safely like linseed and other oil based paints would have. These paints also take an absolute beating by the sun because they are petroleum based, the type of damage is even comparable to asphalt roads.
So unlike in the before days where you could be a drunk and still manage to paint, now you have to know what you're doing because of the countless amounts of mystery science formulas these companies now are forced to use due to environmental regulations. You have to "prime" more now because who the fuck knows what stupid shit solvent/material was used before and it might bleed though the new stupid shit solvent you're now putting on. Painters caulk for instance is called that because all the other caulks just don't like to accept EPA paint. Then there's "wall patches" of all different varieties that also might cause problems. (pic related will help you with many of these problems btw).
It all adds time, the majority of "painting" isn't even spent holding a brush more than a 5-in one tool. Also as time goes on, other tradies start cutting corners and doing shittier jobs that make it take more time/work to hide. Things like sinking nails because the nailgun has no punch, mudding because the drywallers went snowblind, and caulking because the molders crumbled at 90 degree angles. "It looks good" because we forced it to.
>>
File: 1660647648281724.jpg (60 KB, 579x709)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>2802747
>>
I'm about to paint a house can someone give me a rundown of all the steps

1. Wash every surface
2. Do you have to literally sand everything?
3. Primer
4. Paint
>>
>>2805683
I want to know this as well
Do you only sand where the paint is loose?
>>
>>2805524
but you have alienated them by making them think you're the scammer kind
>>
>>2805641
This is why I just buy dry pigments and blend them into boiled linseed oil with a drill. Make sure to throw in some zinc oxide as well so it doesn't mildew. Ezpz
>>
>>2802678
How many linear feet, how many coats of paint, what color.

I suspect you are not pricing this out correctly.

I have done the back of a house plus a Gazebo and that was a 4000 dollar job not including materials or tools. For 3 guys that took 2 days and if we were anything more than spic-ish labor it would have been 12000.
>>
>im a cheap retard reeeeeeeee why isnt everything free
>Also fuck socialism
>>
>>2806889
Boiled linseed oil is such garbage
I'll never understand why retards get so hard for it
>>
>>2802678

I'm in the process of painting my house, I've nearly finished it.

1890s victorian villa. Apart from the prep which was enduring, copious layers of old paint, wonky boards etc. I've managed to do a fantastic job to it.

I used 32L of paint in 3 colours. For the entire house.

My house is 1200 sq ft, my neighbour paid some guy 17k to paint her little dinky house. Including the cost of scaffolding

I borrowed my from family
>>
>>2802758
Your father sold your and your sisters lungs for a marginally smoother driveway, lol.
>>
>>2806034
>>2805683
If you want it to last a decent amount of time but not strip absolutely everything:
>wash everything with bleach/degreaser/tsp
>Scrap the shit out of everything. All loose/peeling/bubbling/alligator skinning/drips.
>Sanding...on a house...not worth it. Use building primer in the bad areas then reprime over everything with two coats, then paint two coats.

Sanding is for rich people and you still never do it outside unless their are so many layers of paint that painting it would open a can of worms. The only things outside that may get sanded are the doors/windows/trim, the stuff you actually look at.

>>2806889
Lol, just use enamel
>>
File: 1717313365928.jpg (66 KB, 900x482)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>2806881
Poors don't think that far ahead. They see high IQ people do things that don't make sense to them, and think they have to do the opposite of what makes sense.
>>
>>2802678
>22,000usd
>half of it material
>11,000usd
>3 workers
>3,666usd per worker
>50 working hours (5x 10h days)
>73usd per hour
Anyone itt defending this, please face the wall now.
>>
>>2802678
Contractors are some of the biggest scammers. Some of them are honest, but most of them are alcoholic assholes with no real skills who will rip you off and not even do the job properly.
>>
>>2805683
I never sanded. Most important is as the other anon said remove anything loose, or suspect. Getting shit in the paint is annoying AF.
Also, follow the instructions and let it offgas as long as required. Oh, and have brushes for edges/corners.
>>2802678
Agree with other anons he doesn't like you and your house+has plenty of jobs.
>>
>>2807308
fucking jew makes a living of scamming trustworthy, healthy people in body and brain and calls his dysgenic style of thinking high iq
what else is new
>>
>>2802909
Great song about that very experience, without the meth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td8Ngz3fn5M
>>
>>2805524
>cumstomas
That is an extremely vulgar word...stealing it!
>>
>>2802678

I got a similar quote for my 1600sqft home by a licensed painter.
Then I got a word of mouth Mexican referral and it was done for $5500.
He even did a lot of stucco repair.
>>
anon, if these are legit pro painters, they cover the floors and tape up everything. They will fill, sand, prime, color, sheen. They can cut in like bosses.
I've renoed houses where just the interior was 14k and there were 3-4 painters on ladders and in corners and shit was amazing. Some parts in the kitchen where the design changed we had to paint to match and it was a bitch that we could never replicate perfectly.
>>
File: 1717617867737.jpg (53 KB, 659x323)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>2807346
This discussion is literally about people who are lying to avoid work. Are they the trustworthy healthy people in brain and body?

>be brown
>client wants you to paint his house
>dios mio
>too much work
>what do rich people do when they don't want to do something
>lie?
>demand $22k
>client turns you down
>everyone turns you down
>go home with zero (0) dollars
>get reputation as a scammer
>go back to working for other brownoids

Meanwhile the high IQ people quoted low to get the dumb shit customer on the hook.
>>
lmaoing at the painters who overrate what they're worth itt
22k is a joke.
>>
>>2808864
Galaxy Brain Strat: Sorry, can't take that job right now, demand and backlog is too high currently. You can schedule an appointment six weeks from now if you wish.

You lose no faith. What are they gonna do, tell people you didn't take the job because you had too much work? Oh no.
>>
>>2808196
>>2808864
>>2809661
>>2809670

This discussion is great because it highlights the misconstrued nature of what normie homeowners think painting entails. They watch 1-2 HGTV shows and go out and buy shitty shurline products and think they're a pro. They also have Dunning-Kruger when it comes to paint and solvents because they equate it to the same ones used in their kitchen and art class in highschool. Here are the two main culprits:
Most "/diy/ers" and non painter tradesmen. The first thing a lot of these speedy Gonzales's did when "prepping" a job before painting was dipping their brush in the paint can (Hey paint is just glue so no need to wash!). Lucky they have painters tape though (which makes them fuck up proof for some reason). They probably even wiped the brush on the side of the can to get the "excess" paint off because they don't comprehend surface tension (ONE hard shake in the middle of the can, bonehead), or are deathly afraid of wiping uncured paint off the floor with a washcloth (heaven forbid we have to break out the 220 grit on the grout!) They take "handyman tips" like painting in a "W" pattern which results in a bunch of big "W's on the wall (I personally would have memed "L" just so I could say "the room took an L"). They work cheap, do the wrong thing for too much money or for themselves and it just "werks" and no one cares. It's colored and the cheap hoarders house looks like shit anyway, anything fresh looking is an improvement.
Then there's the hobbyist/ stay at home mom who painstakingly dips one of those retarded "maxipad on wheels" painting devices in "paint and primer". They re-enforce the drunk painter trope because they convince other drunks that pros use these "as seen on tv" time wasting devices which somehow replace sandpaper. They get pissed when I tell them "no" when they want "chalk stain" on their knotty pine cabinets.

>>2807320
>Workers comp
>overhead
>before taxes
Get vinyl and see how much they'll ream you.
>>
>>2802678
Just refinance your house.
>>
>>2810744
Nice wall of AI-generated verbal diarrhoea
>>
File: 1533434238180.jpg (46 KB, 640x698)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>2810751
>Nice wall
Well of course, it doesn't have "W's" on it or glossed spider webs.
>>
>>2802678
Maybe it's time to learn dude.

That's what I did when I started painting our interior walls. Learned how to do dry wall repair for nail pops, fixing corner beads, sanding, mudding, all that shit prior to painting.
>>
>>2810744
Meh, tape gets you very clean lines.
>>
>>2804409
I do gunsmithing and will do this for really retarded shit like caliber conversions on guns that probably couldn't handle it.
>>
File: VID20231106103625 (1).webm (2.95 MB, 1080x1920)
2.95 MB
2.95 MB WEBM
>blah blah paint my house for cheap
>Nah
>REEEEEEEE fucking scammers how are painters entitled to a living wage
>I should be able to hire people for an amount l dont mind paying
>its really easy anyway, literal retards could do it
>Spends a month on 4chan complaining like the actual retard
Im just not gonna paint your house lmao, not at all hahaha
>>
>>2811273
I do painting and when i get the sense someone is a cunt or a really troublesome customer i calculate my normal price and multiply it with their phone number. Not my fucking problem, literally every single building in the country needs paint both inside and out, its not hard to get a customer who isnt a cheap kunt.
>>
File: IMG20230719141720-min.jpg (1.99 MB, 3468x4624)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB JPG
>>2810889
It can, if youve done it right. That shit contraption anon shared (we call it a German pillow) is reasonable if people are dead set on saving money and dont really care about the result, but rather the illusion of a clean line. but generally any competent painter is faster and more accurate with a decent brush. Alot of time tape is overkill, i can paint it faster with a brush than i can place the tape almost allways
>>
>>2804409
Absolutely.
I pressurewash buildings but don't really want to be on a roof ladder for a borderline skyscraper, but estimating a few hundred extra dollars helps get me up there.
>>
>>2811558
This is just rational pricing. We always calculate extra for working basicly anyone off the ground. Not because its dangerous or anything, simply because it takes alot more time, which is does
>>
>>2811609
I would also charge extra if people have furniture and shit all over the place, taking 8 steps to cross a room is just faster than taking 16 steps around a table to cross the room, sure its not much, but it really does add up over time. Also because fuck off with your furniture, im not a moving company
>>
>>2805531
>you can’t possibly do it better than an alcoholic with a GED!
Dumbass, I bet you have the dealer change your oil to “get it done right” and then when they tell you it needs a new cabin air filter and it’s on special for only $200 you thank them for saving you some money.
>>
>>2803544
>>Each dude makes ~40/hr
wtf is going on in the US that being a beaner painter pays that good?
>>
>>2811719
I dont see why you dont open a business and start painting if its so much fun and easy and not hard work
>>
>>2811775
your shit argument makes no sense, working in a farm is grueling back breaking work, it is absolutely essential to society and it pays like shit. since when is the labor theory of work a valid thing in the US? that's completely unrelated to what i am saying.
i am simply surprised at a stereotypically mexican job paying that much. no wonder your country is an expensive browned shithole, do you also pay your taco makers $70/hr while paying $8000/mo for a 3br?
>>
>>2811837
>do you also pay your taco makers $70/hr while paying $8000/mo for a 3br?
The have 5 weeks of payed vacation because we are not retarded capitalists. Go start a business, hire mexicans for $4 an hour and bank the difference
>>
>>2811837
Supply and demand is basicly what it boils down to i guess, i think thats a term you would understand
>>
>>2811662
If it makes you feel better to believe that, than you do you, champ.
>>
>>2811841
>hire mexicans for $4 an hour
i don't live in the brown S of A and i don't have to pay 6M goy shekels to fucking paint my house either
>>
>>2802683
It's fucking bullshit you have to prep paint and can just slap on a layer and be done. I understand why but it's right up there with having to clean toilets and showers. They should be self cleaning and I should only need to put 1 layer down.
>>
>>2802678
I painted a guy's fence for $40 once.... Was I ripped off?
>>
>>2802684
This. He didn’t want to do it, but for 22k, he’ll suck it up.
>>
>>2811400
reeeeeeeeeeee, right in front of my OSHA handbook?
>>
File: 1699314404818040.jpg (36 KB, 600x600)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>2812016
Yes
>>
>>2811957
I mean, you can probably just negotiate an hourly wage if you are worried about being ripped off, get reciets for materials and all that kind of stuff
>>
>>2803027
lol NOT MY PROBLEM
>>
>>2811843
>Supply and demand is basicly what it boils down to i guess
demand for food is extremely high and farmers are still cucked to fuck and beyond
not that i disagree with you, i think you're right. but damn, that's some bullshit
>>
>>2811957
Wow cool what brown oriental shithole do you live in then?
FYI even spics don’t do $4 an hours days. these guys are smoking (LEGAL) pot in flyover land if they think that’s the case.
>>
>>2802894
This. The painter have an "I don't want to do this job, but if you insist...here's a retarded price". Paint labor should be 1.50-2.50 per SF, and the paint and caulking should be around .70-1.25 per SF. Anything above 4.00 per SF all in is high as fuck. 1700 SF exterior sounds a lot like a single story house. You could get your entire house re-sided with pre-painted Hardie for 22k. Hardie also uses SW Super Paint, which is the best paint for the money. Duration is good, but not that fucking good.
>>2803068
Who the fuck pays a subcontractor by the hour? Especially a painter. He will be there for 6 weeks
>>
>>2805683
1.) Yes
2.) No, but you will have to scrape and sand some stubborn areas
3.) Get Super Paint paint and primer in 1
>>
I painted the entire inside of my 3k square foot house and the actual spraying part took no time at all
If I'm outside and I don't have to tape off sides and remove baseboards and all that little time consuming shit it should be easy as hell for a professional
>>
>>2804209
>If he actually preps everything properly,
lmao tradies don't do this anymore.
however exterior work is naturally very expensive even if they are cheaping out. like >>2803544 said if you actually think about it it's still expensive though not 22k expensive

>>2804409
i was trying to do freelance IT for a while and would definitely price jobs based more on whether I wanted to do it than how easy/hard it would actually be.

>>2811837
painters are a dime a dozen and make peanuts but farmers are actually quite rich. farming is heavily subsidized and mostly automated. it's a field with high start up costs but once you're in it it's not the hardest business to keep going. even if you have a total crop failure, the US and Canada will still pay you anyway, on top of actual private insurance
>>
>>2812633
Crop insurance is actually through the federal government with some regular insurance carriers acting as the intermediary, similar to how NFI is structured.
>t. plays golf with a guy that does crop insurance fraud investigations for the USDA
>>
>>2812644
I knew that most of it is through the fed, but I would have figured the Invisible Hand would have come up with private insurance by now. But it makes sense that a normal insurance would act as an intermediary, like how Blue Cross is 90% medicare and military
>>
>be not a painter
>Decide to spray outside
>Entire neighborhood is now painted.
It takes a very special kind of retard to spray paint outside, ive seen it hundreds of times that people spray inside on the 5th floor and spray dust blows out the window and paints a bunch of cars. Each to their own lmao
>>
>>2812664
>>2812596
Meant for that anon. If you know the first thing about paint it is that its created to dry under specific circumstances and at a specific interval to keep the wanted properties, otherwise you might aswell just brush raw pigment on the surface and call it a day.
>>
>>2812664
t. rented sprayer to paint house exterior
there was no overspray outside 10'
wtf you doin, that shit dries in the air and falls
>>
>>2802678
A Mexican I know works everyday from sunrise to sunset doing these “labor decor” jobs and already has 3 houses

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.