[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How would you design a simple mechanical system so you only have to push or pull on one door leaf and it automatically opens the second one
>>
preferably for an asymetrical front double door
>>
french doors
>>
File: doors.png (68 KB, 485x600)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
>>2810944
simple as
>>
>>2810961
I have found green lines seem to be available in bulk for quite cheap but fucking BLUE lines are as rare as rocking horse shit
>>
>>2811003
You can use red lines as long as you don't fuck up their polarity
>>
>>2811003
>rocking horse shit
That reminds me of one of Scarlett Johannsen's first movie roles, in The Horse Whisperer, which she got partially by telling Robert Redford that she had experience riding horses. She later confessed on Letterman that she left out the part about the horse being made of plastic.

https://youtu.be/DLs--5pbWlc?si=w9phcCSujmFgRhbp&t=168
>>
>>2810961
Thanks.

dumb question but I assume with uneven door size it's the exact same thing? just easier to open since there's less weight to push
>>
>>2810961

it's odd the OP had to ask the question
it's like he's never adjusted the paper-width on a printer
>>
>>2811036
you want the distance from the hinge to be the same s.t. the angle is the same more or less, so you're limited by the width of the skinny door. probably want it near the max distance on the skinny door to maximize your leverage with the big door at the same length.

>>2811003
>>2811017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
>>
>>2811036
also the second or smaller door in exterior home doors are generally secured by inside clips in the top and bottom in order to create a secure base for the door latch. An unsecured 2nd door will allow someone to possibly open both doors with moderate force. Even a deep deadbolt will severely reduce the strength of your entryway locks. Something to consider before you start collecting lines.
>>
And What's the best way to allow disconnect between the two doors at any moment?
>>
>>2811036
The door size doesn't matter so long as the attachment point is the same distance from the hinge on both doors.

>>2811218
A pair of scissors
>>
>>2810947
Having the doors work like this wouldn't be very useful on most hinged entry double doors. Typically, the secondary (non-latching) door leaf is held shut with slide bolts accessed from the edge of the door, so that the primary door leaf has something solid/immobile to latch to. To access those slide bolts so that both doors can be opened, you first have to open the primary latching door. In this system where both doors would only open together simultaneously, those slide bolts would have to remain unlatched all the time. The downside of that being there would be absolutely zero security as you could just push the doors open.
>>
File: Untitled.png (21 KB, 430x532)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>2810961
>>2810944
Set of gears or a gears and a chain to reverse diraction
>>
>>2811301
In your very picture the bolts are pointing up and down, not to the side meeting the other door
>>
File: undefined - Imgur.gif (2.84 MB, 288x216)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB GIF
>>2810944
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (183 KB, 1867x1140)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
This is how I would do it, you would need to get custom hinges made with a solid shaft attached to the door that runs up to a timing pulley at the top. Slightly tricky to do because hinge joints are offset from the door to allow the door to sit flush with the frame. Might have to cut into the top of the door frame for clearance and mount everything in an enclosure.
>>
File: IMG_20240611_190657945.jpg (1.46 MB, 4608x2074)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB JPG
Easy to make and to adjust distances and ratios
>>
>>2811388
I don't think you've understood fully what I said. The bolt latches go up and down to anchor the passive door leaf to the frame. Then the active door leaf latches with it as if that passive door leaf were a solid door jamb. What I'm saying is that to actuate those bolts you need access to the side of the door, so you'd have to open one door before opening the other, which is not possible if you have some mechanism that forces the doors to operate simultaneously.
>>
>>2811394
Sliding doors are not the same as hinged doors.
>>
File: Untitled.png (9 KB, 934x374)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>2811409
The gears are unnecessary. You just have the belt/chain cross over between the hinge points.
>>
>>2812201
The bolts that secure the normally inactive door don't absolutely need to be fitted so they are accessed from the side of that door, they are done that way mostly for looks since almost nobody wants to look at that hardware during the 99.999999% of the time when that door remains closed.

But flush bolts like those or surface bolts can go on the interior face of that door, and old time doors used cremone bolts that were exposed.

Also FWIW that pic is either shooped or the installation is all kinds of weird; the bolts are shown on the active door, as evidenced by the other one having the astragal mounted on it, which acts as the stop when that door functions like a jamb to recieve the bolts from the active door's locks....the flush bolts you are talking about go on and secure the door with the astragal, not the one shown.

I mean you *could* install an extra set on the primary passage side but practically speaking it makes no sense and would only let you keep it latched shut while the other door remained open and unable to latch securely.
>>
File: 710QlgO3giL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (239 KB, 1500x1500)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>2812219
Of course they don't need to be like that. I'm saying that's how most double entry doors are constructed.

>that pic is either shooped
Well yea it absolutely is. Most likely one of those chinkshit company's amazon listing pics where they poorly shoop their product into an installed environment because it's cheaper than actually installing it and taking a picture. Like pic related where it's been put into an installation which makes it literally impossible to use.
>>
File: 61xMFBn4aFL._AC_SL1001_.jpg (107 KB, 1001x1001)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>2812241
Or this absolute work or art
>>
>>2812201
>so you'd have to open one door before opening the other, which is not possible if you have some mechanism that forces the doors to operate simultaneously.
why isn't it? They don't have to be at the same angle. one is supposed to close earlier to let the other latch on
>>
File: beeg geers.png (76 KB, 485x600)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>
>>2811330
"sorry I can't come over my dad is making me grease all the door contraptions again"

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.