[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/diy/ - Do It Yourself

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1000036869.jpg (534 KB, 3024x4032)
534 KB
534 KB JPG
Toilet flush is very weak. Plumber says Toilet has mineral deposit build up and bad hardware in the tank. Anyone know a Good Chemical for breaking up or dissolving these deposits?
>>
>>2828667
are you on well water?

or are you one of those faggots that don't flush your piss and only flush when you take a shit?
>>
Zep acidic toilet bowl cleaner and some elbow grease worked for me.
>>
>>2828681
Rental now. When we lived in it the piss probably lingered overnight at best.

City water.
>>
>>2828667
>Anyone know a Good Chemical for breaking up or dissolving these deposits?
is this a bait threa--MURIATIC ACID
>>
>>2828667
Why didn't you ask the plumber what to do while he was there?
>>
File: IMG_1623.jpg (165 KB, 1280x720)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>2828700
>>2828703
What about caustic soda and hydrogen chloride?
>>
>>2828714
wasn't there to ask him. Got an email report. Dude won't answer the phone.

I left out the part where he quoted me $2,500 to replace two toilets. $1,500 to replace the tank hardware (name escapes me) and the $1,000 quote to clean them.
>>
Don't listen to the retards, just fill it full of vinegar and leave it overnight. The buildup will be gone the next day.
>>
>>2828667
Besides chemical solutions, replace the flush valve. I like korky ones better than fluidmaster.
>>
>>2828808
This. dump a bottle of vinegar, let soak a few hourrs, brush, flush and repeat if necessary.
>>
>>2828667
>Plumber says
first off, this is /diy/
second, a new toilet only cost $100
you probably paid the plumber more to look at it than you could have paid to replace it
>>
Time to replace the toilet.
There is no one day process with liquid that can undo the years of buildup. Like silt filling parts of a bend in a river that will never wash out in a flood, the older toilets with the dumb longer path just do that.

Replace it. Two bolts and a water connection.
Toilet guts cost 30 bucks and a new toilet costs 100 to 150, holy fuck.

>t. maintenance
>>
>>2829195
The clay vats. That's where the chinese dump the uygar remains after they harvested the organs. You're sitting on dead people.

Radioactive dead people.
>>
>>2828681
Is that bad? I started doing it recently on one of my bathrooms. I almost always flush at least once a day tho.
>>
>>2829195
This.
Replace the toilet. Along with the list anon provided, get some plastic shimes and a level. Mske sure toilet is level front to back. Out of level shitter will mske a weak flush.
>>
>>2829268
**make**

Shitty ass tiny keyboard phone poster
>>
>>2829238
why would you leave piss in a toilet ever? are you some poor who cant afford a gallon of water to not have you home smell like piss?
>>
>>2829274
I pee like 10-12 times a day. Mostly clear piss. It seemed like a waste to flush 12 gallons a day vs one. It only ever smells funny if I forget to flush it overnight. I flush my shit bathroom like 3 times per shit so I think they get cancelled out. Once again, is it bad? Will I clog the pipes in my piss bathroom?
>>
File: 1716933777835655.jpg (49 KB, 640x606)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>2828667
Go buy a gallon of ordinary vinegar. Dump about half a liter in the tank each time you flush.
Be sure to dump it in the TANK and not the BOWL.
The scale buildup should be cleared out by the time you run out of vinegar. Do not use drain cleaner or lye or any other retarded bullshit.
>>
some cheap citric acid crystals
>>
I'm gonna say it again,
There's no liquid, or one day process, (((muriatic acid included))) that can reverse a process that happens over years. You'll be supporting a multinational corporation one way or another here.

Arteries clog. New toilets are one of the very few things in this world where you actually get more product for less money. It will flush better, be lighter than the old one, and SOLVE the issue with a better product. For like 100 bucks.

Shove the muriatic acid up your ass.
>>
>>2829619
Spend more for some Japanese shitter with a heated bidet and all that other crazy shitter optimisation they've perfected.
>>
> Shove the muriatic acid up your ass.
You’ve been picked on all your life eh Princess ?
>>
>>2828667
Just remove the filler and rinse it in reverse
Most can be disassembled easily to clean out
Then buy a cheap whole home filter

You can also easily replace the filler altogether for like $10
>>
>>2828700
>>2828703
>>2828888
>>2829227
douche with it, bitch
>>
>>2828802
lol lmao just buy a new universal fill valve for 10$ and replace it yourself, instructions are on the box. easy af
>>
>>2828700
i already bought baking soda this month for my fridge and cookies. Will buying muriatic acid send the DEA to my home?
>>
>>2828667
lime = basic. use acid to convert it to a salt (which is water soluble). any acid will do. use muriatic aka HCl if thats what you got (note the second i in “muriatic”; youd think if you were gonna spam a word in a thread you would spell it right).
if youre cool (or if muriatic doesnt work), mix 3 to 1 H2SO4 drain cleaner with 30% peroxide (not the 3% peroxide you get from the pharmacy; i hear they sell 30% at hydroponics stores but i cant confirm; 30% is the highest the feds will let you buy because you can make bombs with it). use a heat resistant glass container because it gets very hot very quickly. pour the peroxide in VERY slowly; the solution might burst into flames if the peroxide concentration gets too high. do this outside. use it like you would sulfuric drain cleaner, which is to say start low and go slow. wear every article of PPE you own, this shit will turn your flesh to liquid in a heartbeat. it might also melt your pipes depending on what theyre made of so maybe use it as a last resort. clean your bathroom with bicarb afterwards lest you step on a tiny drop you missed and get burned on your foot. this also works for disposing bodies if youre curious.
>>
>>2830263
op will probay kill himself if he makes fucking pirania in bathrom like making piranha solution in large scale (which would be needed) is ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS THINGS TO DO IN CHEMISTRY
>>
>>2830272
>makes fucking pirania in bathrom
bro come on i LITERALLY said to do it outside, and he'd only need a like a liter at most.
>>
>>2830277
still making liter of pirania is still scary af aspecialy od op dosnt have experience in chemistry and he will probably at least burn himself while adding it intro toilet and allso breathing sulfur oxides or h2so4 vapor on bathroom sound like very bad idea
>>
>>2830263
Most dangerously retarded post in this thread. Just use ordinary vinegar like a normal person.
>>
>>2828875
this, my small town even paid me $50 per toilet for upgrading to a watersense toilet. I replaced two toilets, it was bascially bogo for me.
>>
>>2830569
>>2830572
we got some baby mans ITT
>>
>>2830764
faggchemist probably never made pirania solution and only knows about it from some faggots YouTube Chanel

>we got some baby mans ITT
i would probably call it being not suicidal or stupid
>>
File: IMG_1470.jpg (188 KB, 1179x2556)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>2830771
i work in semiconductor research. i occasionally mix up some piranha to clean the glass plates we use for lithography. i took a video of me dipping a pH strip in some leftovers one time, but it wasnt very interesting, it just turned red, it didnt melt like in some videos (https://youtube.com/watch?v=sRUWtn4hkCw), maybe it wasnt hot enough.
on a serious note, while piranha is mostly safe if you respect it and take appropriate precautions, you shouldnt use it to clean your toilet. if might damage the ceramic coating on it, as well as the pipes. i always wondered what would happen though, and it would cool if OP tried it and reported back.
>>
>>2830764
Your chemistry experiment is going to dissolve a rubber gasket and turn a small issue of scale buildup into a flood and $5000 repair job.
>>
File: zep.jpg (42 KB, 355x844)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>2828667
I had good results using pic related. I just took the water out of the toilet bowl then dumped in a whole bottle of this stuff and let it sit overnight.
>>
>>2828667
you could just brush it off
>>
>>2828667
30 degree angle + repeated stabbing motion and the scale will flake off. Porcelain marks from screwdriver aren't permanent, they'll brush off.
>>
>>2828693
This had a completely full toilet, few days soaked in zep and a screw driver got it eventually.
>>
>>2831198
>>2833807
Acetic acid (vinegar) is too weak
These anons are right.
>>
run some CLR threw it..
Then drain cleaner...
>>
>>2833807
everyone is obsessing over cleaning the scale buildup when the issue is the hardware
also OP disappeared
anyway a metal spoon will work way better than a screwdriver. learned from my line cook days cleaning burned fucking pots
>>
>>2828667
Fucks sake brother use a toilet brush and bleach
>>
>>2828681
>>2828696
>>2829238
>>2829274
>>2829288

I lived in a house where everyone fell for this retarded meme. It made it so the only bathroom in the house smelled like a fucking homeless camp every morning. I would double flush so that no water was ever saved. Fuck that shitty nigger meme.
>>
>>2828696
>>2829238
Toilet flushes are negligible on your water bill
>>
>>2835943
beyond unironically
>>
not gonna bump the thread from page 7 but i used "muriatic" aka hydrochloric acid to clean that calcium shit out of 2 toilets and it dissolved it/dislodged it from the porcelain within about 10 seconds leaving it in pristine condition. flushed a bunch of times afterwards to dilute it and didnt have any problems after that
>>
>>2829606
this
>>
American Standard Cadet 3 elongated bowl, just get one and be done with it so you can flush 17 golf balls of shit at once.
>>
>>2836743
this is the right choice.
Be careful, that acid shouldn't touch anything other than porcelain, but it's EXTREMELY fast and effective way to clean toilets.
>>
>>2828729
Basic (high pH) liquids do not dissolve calcium, acids do.
>>
>>2828875
why did it take so long for someone to say the correct answer? in the time it took to call the plumber so he could waste your money, you could have bought a new toilet and installed it.
installing a toilet is beginner-tier stuff for new homeowners.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.