[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: u0dvo5i62ihzfpeyuu22.jpg (556 KB, 1920x1280)
556 KB
556 KB JPG
Has actual tech wear ever been done ? I'm not talking about Y3/Nike/et al type stuff, I'm talking pieces incorporating LCD screens, HUDs, programmable lighting or other electronic/digital functions. The only thing I can of is some cosplay, but I'm curious if this has ever been done in actual consumer apparel.

I would love to see examples or ideas of this.
>>
File: techwear.jpg (114 KB, 750x900)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>13506941
Prove me wrong, you can't.
>>
>>13506941
Also, if you want that kind of shit, look at the military.
>>
>>13506941
https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothing/men/outerwear/levis-commuter-x-jacquard-by-google/p/286600000
>>
File: 1423378481166-3.gif (1.78 MB, 500x280)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB GIF
>>13506941
one of the problems with actually integrating electronic tech into clothing is it still has to be removable for the purposes of cleaning, charging batteries, and modularity in general is often very desirable in devices

you don't want your smartphone sewn into your jacket sleeve for example because you don't want to have to be wearing your jacket to use it.

that's largely why devices, tools, weapons, etc usually fall under the EDC category rather than fashion.. they are more function when they aren't physically attached to something else

anyway there are some things that do meld fashion and technology but they are generally odd things where the combination makes practical sense
>>
File: 67.jpg (178 KB, 798x800)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>13506941
>lighting
>>
>>13506952
Was thinking more general consumer fashion

>>13507027
I remember reading about this. Pretty dope.

>>13507846
I understand and agree with what you're saying. Maybe removable electronic components? I know Xioami made a shoe with a removable movement tracker that fit under the insole. That sort of thing with a digital display or lighting would be cool.

>>13508051
Stuff like this could be done a lot better i.e. more subtle, but its the right idea.
>>
Good thread idea, hopefully in the near future this can become a general.

I'd like to see animated clothing, animated logos and graphics and decals, either IRL with lights and some kind of woven display or through digital entoptics, like AR games.

Of course, headgear (like in the OP) will always be cool, I imagine people playing in VR/AR in these things as they are on the bus or in the park.

Of course, my favorite shit would be kinetic energy collecting clothing, stuff that could somehow capture the energy of the wind, your movement, body heat, etc. Could charge your phone and devices.
>>
>>13506941
Do you consider the self lacing Nike's as part of this actual tech techwear? That's the only thing I can think of that's electronic other than the Google Levi's jacket.
>>
File: 1516195502691.jpg (266 KB, 1920x800)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
>>13507027
>WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or reproductive harm.

lmao what
>>
>>13506941
Theres that junya jacket that incorporates solar panels on the back.also a couple of UC jackets have phone windows where your phone screen becomes part of the aesthetic (not really tech but it “incorporates” the tech you have).

I guess depends what the purpose of those electronic/digital plugins are for. What you’re describing so far is a wearable neon billboard. For reflection purposes 3M tape, glow in the dark parts and the like has a more practical use vs electronics.
>>
Wearables are the future of the past
>>
>>13508447
>https://www.levi.com/US/en_US/clothing/men/outerwear/levis-commuter-x-jacquard-by-google/p/286600000
kek
>>
I reckon getting a motorbike is gonna be a safe step in having an excuse to wear a techy af helmet in the near future.

https://crosshelmet.com/product/riders-club/
>>
Either you make it yourself or you comission somebody to make it. Otherwise youre talking cheap shitty rave gear
>>
>>13510709
The reason I made this thread was to draw from inspiration of people who had done or seen something like it before. I'd really like to start prototyping some outerwear with these ideas incorporated.

>>13509715
Wearables are a different genre imo. Wearables are more tech than fashion (e.g. tracking health data) whereas I'm looking for fashion/form taking priority. Basically using digital technology to enhance the aesthetic of a piece, rather than "bolting on" to existing clothing or fashion.
>>
File: IMG_5653.jpg (37 KB, 620x410)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>13506941
You guys ever hear of t-shirt OS?
>>
>>13506941
Raf simons 2018 show used some cool ways to incorporate neon into his collections, not really in the clothing but still its a start.

The most notable example I can think of is recently a russian model has been experimenting with AR tech in his clothing https://www.instagram.com/p/BkX4CTLglk_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
>>
File: xz.png (816 KB, 1024x635)
816 KB
816 KB PNG
problem is that the techwear brands so far haven't really dared enough in trying to predict the future's look and the product of their hesitancy was fucking gothninja garbage, now i predict itll be a while before itll be seriously attempted again, name just has a bad connotation now
give it 10 years, accelerating returns etc considered we'll have come far by then, lots of new opportunities
>>
>>13510840
sadly I think you're right. We hit this half-assed point between actual techwear (even though I think we have the materials and technology to do it) where its more "tech-inspired" than "tech-wear". That's why I'd like to try and prototype a few pieces myself.

I think something like a jacket with subtle lighting accents on the collar or around a printed design on the back/chest would look very cool and give a degree of customization to clothing that we haven't really had before.

Or I'll just end up looking like an anime tryhard faggot. That's always a possibility.
>>
It's stupid to wear shit with LEDs in it, especially if you're just doing it to look cool. It won't survive the wash for long. You're essentially creating clothes that sacrifice real technical properties to look "high tech" so you can flex on normies.
>>
>>13510817
Is that an led t shirt? I think i read abt that a couple of years back. Battery powered tho and had some issues with practicality

>>13510920
It could be interesting. I think one of the bigger barriers to this is the fact you have a sort of electrical circuit/battery powered system close to your body at most times. The slight risk of electrocution or getting zapped by your cool jacket isnt exactly appealing, nevermind problems you have in highly secure spots (e.g., airports).

What does some sort of led/light do that cant be achieved with reflective fabric/metalic accents/metal woven into fabric (a la stone island)?
>>
>>13511038
>What does some sort of led/light do...

It's programmable. I really love the customization aspect of clothing and think it adds a new level to individual style.
>>
Wake me up when we have power armor.
>>
File: file.png (1.47 MB, 723x1024)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB PNG
>tfw you will never be drafted in the dystopian military, hence not being equipped with the most /fa/ milspec gear.

we live in the worst timeline
can't wait to get cyberpunk 2077 to live out our dreams. shame it's in 3rd person tho
>>
>>13508447
Don't worry about that. Everything you buy here has to have that label even if there might only be a negligibly small risk in using it. We ignore those warnings
>>
>>13512064
>Cyberpunk 2077 is a role-playing video game played in a first-person perspective as V,[1][2] a mercenary whose sex, hairstyles, face, body type, body modifications, background, and clothing are customisable.
i think cutscenes are third person
>>
Look into an indonesian clothing brand called Machine56. They basically do that kind of style.
If I was a skinny boy in Asia I'd for sure try the style out but I'm just a chubby white dude
>>
>>13506941
yes.

https://www.highsnobiety.com/2016/03/16/junya-watanabe-solar-powered-coat/

another example would be the levi's icd+ line that massimo osti of c.p. company/stone island fame consulted on.
>>
>>13507027
dope. anyone try it? anyone have similar examples of heritage style but with tech worked in? i dont wanna dress like a robot but i wanna be futuristic
>>
>>13508058
>stuff like this could be done better, i.e. more subtle
Explain, I’m genuinely interested in hearing how this could work
>>
>>13506941
Not yet but with the introduction of graphene circuitry we might see some shit

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.