[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/fa/ - Fashion

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: M3995.jpg (100 KB, 550x708)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
How/where do I get the classic, 'timeless fashion' look? I just graduated college and am going to start work as a government employee in NYC. I would really like to dress more conservatively and adult. I have a vague sense of what this requires: classic fit, high waisted pants, etc. The only thing is, I don't know wear to acquire these things on a budget. Any help/advice is appreciated, /fa/.
>>
Another good example
>>
>>13508956
I wouldn't call this 30's look timeless. Those are really big pants - borderline goofy.

The 50's/60's look in your OP is more elegant, for sure.
>>
Look at old school American brands like LL Bean, land's end, etc. You should be able to find some good double pleated/high waisted pants. Shirts shouldn't be too hard to find in my experience (I'm pretty slim though), a classic straight and boxy cut is still pretty common even at places like J crew that have moved towards pretty skinny pants.

Also, get yourself some nice Alden or Allen Edmonds shoes. If you can't afford them new get factory seconds or buy them used on ebay.
>>
>>13508983
Yeah, absolutely. I guess I'm trying to merge the color palette from the second picture with the more modern style of the first.
>>
>>13508956
those flat ties are so damn cool.
>>
>>13509005
>You should be able to find some...high waisted pants

Prove it.
>>
>>13508930
there isnt really such a thing as timeless. even more trad looks from the 90s will look dated, and anything from the 70s back will just look like straight up cosplay/larp.

unless you go thrifting in the right areas, you basically will not be able to create this look on a budget. modern torchbears of trad tend to fall in the category of refined and expensive (think italian suiting eg loro piana) or cartoonish mall fare like j crew and polo RL (which probably are still out of your price range if you are already talking about budget).

although its not my style i have definitely found what you are talking about for cheap at thrift stores near areas where rich people live. it is possible but will take a great deal of time to look through all the stores and repeat visits every so often to see if there is anything 'new' that came in worth picking up. if possible i would advise spending more money on modern interpretations of prep if possible.

another option to come to mind is lurking thefedoralounge forums and learn more about makers that replicate old styles. they are out there.
>>
>>13509227
Solid advice. This is really just my effort to look more mature and refined while avoiding what has become the 'GQ look' that seems to be favored by a lot of men today. As for modern interpretations of prep, where would you point me?
>>
File: classic.jpg (73 KB, 638x464)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>
bump
>>
>>13509694
stephan schneider
engineered garments
nigel cabourn
patrik ervell
RL purple label
TS(S)
beams
barbour
margaret howell
naissance
frank leder
monitaly

even if you get their gear directly their shows and lookbooks could easily inspire direction in your thrift and ebay hunts
>>
>>13509694
Mature is a mindset as well. I would watch a bunch of Sartorial related videos, as well as gentleman’s gazette and other similar things. Fashion and style are different. Look into that as well as learning the “rules” of both. From there you can see how classic many modern items can be while worn correctly, or what makes and item more classic than others. For instance watch any episode of the TV show white collar. Neil wear suits with very thin adolescent looking lapels. Trying to show the young and risky side of the duo. Peter on the other hand has a classic fitting suit with a larger tie knot and larger lapels. Older, wiser and more reserved is what is being portrayed. Know your age, what you can get away with and pay attention to detail. Style lies in the tiny details.
>>
>>13509694
Post an image of your ideal “classic look” and let’s take a look at what modern items we can find.
>>
Literal 28-year old boomer ITT
>>
File: 100220_0_44.jpg (31 KB, 428x494)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Anyone have experience with LL Bean jeans? I'm interested in the classic fit jeans since they're high waisted, cheap, and have a decent fit it seems. Thoughts?
>>
>>13508930
You'll stop giving a fuck about your work outfit pretty soon. I've gone from thinking about what I'm gonna wear the night before to literally just throwing on a plain white shirt, trousers, and the same pair of beat Brunomaglis everyday. No one even notices and honestly, if you're not in finance or law, they'll think you're a tryhard.
>>
>>13511060
as a decently athletic person who regularly buys from ll bean, their classic fit is still a big large. i'd suggest looking into their slimmest option or visiting a store just to get a sense of the fit.
>>
>>13511060
Those don't look high-waisted to me.
>>
>>13508930
>timeless
>fashion
Doesn't exist, fashion is by definition timebound. The good news is there's definitely a timeless style and it (like any personal style you might develop) is better than haring after trends like a mong. British trad is the core of the timeless menswear look IMO, the typical cuts have stayed the same since the 1950s at least, often longer. The "demob suit" which veterans were given after WWII has a cut that still looks sharp today.

>>13508956
The waist is good on these but the other anon is right that the leg is too wide to really look timeless; once you moved around in a pair of bags like these you'd realize how nutty they are.

Your OP pic has a much more time-tested cut, which is noticeable from the fact that you can barely tell they have a cut at all. They just look like pants, normal pants – which is what you want.
>>
>>13509227
>if possible i would advise spending more money on modern interpretations of prep if possible.
Desu prep is much more timebound and gets dated faster than most trad menswear, simply because it is/started out as college kids' playing around with menswear, basically one of the earliest teen styles from back when there was no defined intermediate step between kid clothes and dressing like a man.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.