[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1715506441996734.jpg (173 KB, 1500x924)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>Wikis
https://dmpdoc.neocities.org/
https://web.archive.org/web/20220330105340/https://rentry.org/dmpdoc
https://rentry.org/dmprockandroll/
https://mu-sic-production.fandom.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki

-----

>/g/ makes a 12th album
Theme: everything is single saw/square/sine osc with a simple filter
Title: Let me guess, you need more
Cover: https://desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1709/19/1709190996356.png
Deadline: Midnight between May 31th and June 1st (UTC)

>/g/ makes a 13th album
Theme: Music for your god. (divine music, your interpretation)
Please post title suggestions

>IMPORTANT! READ THIS BEFORE SUBMITTING:
Upload the file somewhere and post the link here. If you want to update your track, make a new post.
If possible use a lossless format and upload to a file-sharing service, not to a music site like Vocaroo or SoundCloud.
Include the title of the song in the post. Don't rely on us reading it from the filename or tags.
When you post the submission make sure that the song is clearly a submission for the album, otherwise it might get skipped.
Songs that contain anything against YouTube's policies won't be uploaded on YT (but will still be added to the album).
If your track's volume goes above 0 dB it will be clipped for the release.

>Where can I hear the previous albums?
https://rentry.org/dmpalbums

-----

A board dedicated to all aspects of music making and audio would be great for many reasons. Here's why:
https://pastebin.com/ZHXhfRZw
If you like the idea, let 4chan know at https://4channel.org/feedback (under Board Suggestion)

-----

Previous: >>100372864
>>
File: Untitled.png (106 KB, 1388x1492)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>100431872
>>100432456
>>100432631
>>100433526
From 4stats.io
There is a difference but I expected more desu.
>>
>>100434534
What is that averaging like an 8% decline?
That's pretty significant
>>
File: file.png (99 KB, 1005x796)
99 KB
99 KB PNG
First for summoning the P5.js anon to say it's really cool, I should have tried it out earlier.
>>100434578
It might have been from me. I got a job that takes all my weekday time, so I don't go here on the weekdays (and I'm a retarded poster).
>>
>>100434594
nobody cares retard
>>
>>100434578
>>100434534
4chan removed bots when they put the captcha behind cloudflare protection. that's why posts have dropped off. a shitload of posts for years were automated spambots. lurk more, simpletons.
>>
>>100434594
Glad you're enjoying it.
>>
>>100434797
>4chan removed bots
explain why post quality hasn't gone up then
>>
>>100434925
Any community that gets its posts by bots pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company
>>
>>100434937
If this was intended to be a meta-joke about yourself regarding the chud posting it would have been pretty funny.
>>
>>100434953
No I'm just saying that there isn't much difference between the bots and the retards who post here for real.
>>
>>100434534
>/mu/ up
thank u based kendrick
but /g/ seeing a 12-25% rate decrease (not averaged) is kinda wild
>>100434925
kek
>>
>>100434797
All bots can solve both captchas. What they got rid of is the zoomers who can't muster the patience of waiting 60 seconds to make a post.
>>
>>100435180
>All bots can solve both captchas
Source?
>>
>>100435180
>hahaha ZOOMERS XD
>What they got rid of is the zoomers who can't muster the patience of waiting 60 seconds to make a post.
unironically it's stopped me from posting in all threads I'm not sure i'm going to stay in as well as significantly cutting down on my responses to bait post.
>>
>>100435362
It has to be, otherwise I can't talk shit about zoomers
>>
File: file.png (877 KB, 1280x720)
877 KB
877 KB PNG
>>100435180
you make up whatever schizophrenic story you like. the fact is that you low iq fucking morons have been talking to bots for years and mods/jannies were so incredibly incompetent that they failed at their jobs. this is why the admins changed the captcha system to be solved by cloudflare first and then 4chans.
>>100434925
because this website is full of fucking idiots that know nothing about everything.
>>
>>100435401
>unironically it's stopped me from posting in all threads I'm not sure i'm going to stay in as well as significantly cutting down on my responses to bait post.
probably for the best, consider you have profound levels of retardation to think you're "baiting" anybody. zoom zoom, zoomyzoomzoom.
>>
>>100435401
Same but about posting images in incognito on the phone.
>>
>>100435753
>consider you have profound levels of retardation to think you're "baiting" anybody. zoom zoom, zoomyzoomzoom.

See, paradoxically, it's the people who are legitimately INVESTED in posting who are actually the fags you don't want.
Casual posters aren't dedicated to being annoying.
>>
>>100435845
>Casual posters aren't dedicated to being annoying.
They're not dedicated to effortposting either.
>>
what daws even support doubles/64bit audio? that seems entirely overkill for precision
>>
>>100435852
I'm meaning to point out that the ratio of "low quality" posting is much higher in people who are willing to wait 60 seconds to post.

People who are typing pages or putting thought into their posts aren't effected by that time limit.
>>
>>100435966
>People who are typing pages or putting thought into their posts aren't effected by that time limit.
Wouldn't you say that these people are also invested in posting, just like the ones who are dedicated to being annoying that you mentioned above?
>>
>>100435996
ratio

idk dude i'm just making stuff up
>>
>>100434428
>cirklon
i was on the waiting list for this for two years and said fuck it
>>
>>100434925
this place gets so easily trolled, shitposted to oblivion by one person posting offtopic, and people replying to those that it stops being worth posting. when there are less posters, the bad ones stick out even more and make this place unbearable. they've done their best to make this place way worse than it was a few months ago
>>
>>100434925
The bot posts were filler, the abhorrent posts were all from the flesh
>>
Did y'all start /dmp/ knowing how to play an instrument, or do you just study theory and use piano roll/midi keyboards?

If latter, do you think studying piano technique/repertoire would help at all?
>>
>>100436123
>do you think studying piano technique/repertoire would help at all?
Don't know where the returns start diminishing, but the general consensus is that at least up to a (relatively high) level, proficiency in an instrument helps music making A LOT.
The instrument that helps the most is the piano/keys, since most things in /dmp/ are based on it, but other instruments can still be very good.
>>
>>100436087
>a few months ago
?

We've been in United States election year for a while now.
Say what you will, but reddit has an advantage right now because bot posts follow a formula lol
>>
>>100436123
>If latter, do you think studying piano technique/repertoire would help at all?
it helps greatly. i've seen no shortage of faggots that don't even bother to learn anything, they just use chord generators and midi arpeggio generators. the bar could not be any lower in 2024.
>>
>>100436123
i've yet to see someone make good music without learning an instrument first
tons of people lie about being untrained and it turns out they took years of piano lessons growing up but they don't count that to prop up their ego
>>
>>100436123
Having diverse knowledge of instruments and styles has crossover applications in non-obvious ways that you don't have a concept of without learning.

E.g leaning piano will help you naturally understand realistic velocity and note offset, how chords would typically be voiced and what is realistically/easily playable when programming key parts etc, not to mention the music it will expose you to.
Very broadly applicable.

It's not the end of the world if you don't learn it but knowing a little will give you a big advantage over non instrumentalists.
>>
>>100436269
>i've yet to see someone make good music without learning an instrument first
unironically shitty boomer taste or you just don't listen to very much music
>>
>>100436270
>>how chords would typically be voiced
>moves root position triads around
>hmm, I should learn some theory
>moves root position 7th chords around
>>
>>100436283
>unironically shitty boomer taste or you just don't listen to very much music
that anon you're replying to is right. you can only sample so much or cheat using midi generation. worst part about that is it sounds like it's generated slop. have you heard much hiphop in the last 15 years? i still keep hearing tyrones releasing music using huge samples from commercial sound libraries (that i have copies of). and when that fails, they call in people that can actually play instruments. check the credits for some of these groups/individuals, the credits lists are usually long, full of people that actually played real instruments because the original producer tyrone couldn't.
>>
File: dmp_avicii_boomer.png (140 KB, 672x584)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>100436416
this guy is a boomer for sure
>>
>>100436440
you're a talentless fucking nigger that can't even play an instrument. you're a joke. just because you're a lazy coon that doesn't even try doesn't mean everyone should be a loser like you, anon.
>>
>>100436385
Thank you for skirting around the point anon, very helpful.

>>>100436416
>tyrones

I stand by what I said. Shit taste or you've never bothered trying to find modern music that's actually to your taste.
There are a stupid amount of 16-20 year olds breaking out making good shit while playing no instruments all the time- it's not any mystery why with the proliferation of tutorials and educational material online now; people who are good at self teaching are mogging people older than them.

A wait time would have prevented me from responding.
>>
>>100436467
>Thank you for skirting around the point anon, very helpful.
I was just trying to make a joke about people who don't know how to play any instruments.
>>
>>100436539
It's almost 10 am no sleep sorry
>>
>>100436467
>There are a stupid amount of 16-20 year olds breaking out making good shit while playing no instruments all the time- it's not any mystery why with the proliferation of tutorials and educational material online now; people who are good at self teaching are mogging people older than them.
this music probably sucks dick no cap on god fr fr
>>
>>100436467
And those kids never played instruments, didn't grow up with music playing parents? Sure thing, dude, keep believing lies
>>
I just plagiarize musicians who did the learning instruments thing so my music can be top tier with a fraction of the effort on my end.
>>
>>100436620
Either you're a bot or parroting irrelevant /pol/-tier phrases.

Either way, we're all fine being MEN here.
>>
>>100436456
butthurt much
>>
>>100436467
>you've never bothered trying to find modern music that's actually to your taste.
i have, there's nothing out there
>There are a stupid amount of 16-20 year olds breaking out making good shit while playing no instruments all the time-
i highly doubt this. someone breaking through that young definitely had early music education and encouraging parents/mentors
>>
>>100436685
>t. projecting tranny
>>
>>100436123
I don't really understand people who enjoy DAWs without some instrument proficiency. The fun of music is in improvisation, I can't imagine how slow this is if you've got to go note by note in some shitty loops because you can't play a scale or chord by yourself.
>>
>>100436979
shhhh the midi pack industry is booming because of retards who buy into the lie that anyone can make music without experience lol
>>
>>100436979
I improvise with my mouth. Whistling, humming, singing, beatboxing, etc. are good enough for what you're talking about.
>>
File: 976.png (77 KB, 758x424)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
I didn't think it'd come to this, but I actually modified the Milkytracker source code to fix some annoyances.
>Unfucked some keyboard shortcuts that had conflicts which apparently nobody noticed (ctrl+shift+v and ctrl-h)
>Pressing 5-8 on the volume column will insert volumes of 0x08, 0x18, 0x28 and 0x38 respectively
>Pasting now moves the cursor to below the pasted block, so I can easily ctrl-v repeatedly
I'm still half-considering just making my own tracker.
Thanks for reading my blog
>>
Other than syntorial and looking at presets are there any recommendations for how to get good at synth sound design once you know the basics?
>>
it's finally here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr5ps88wa_o
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Kr07JyAfg
>>
>>100436440
Come up with a counter example of someone making good music without an instrument or don't participate in the converstation.
>>
>>100437761
B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
>>100440874
>take the bait or don’t participate in the conversation

Thread died quick huh
>>
>want to buy a new piece of gear because I'm a fucking retard
>there's an alternative version that's shittier I can buy for 1/10 of the price to at least try out and see if I like the system, but I won't buy it to try out because I can't be bothered reselling it
Why does my mind decide I need to spend a grand on a MIDI controller in the first place?
>>
>>100436123
i played throughout middle and high school before i started producing
studying does help but sometimes i feel increasingly limited the more i come to know of. i won't say learn because it might just be that i can't apply the knowledge i've heard properly
>>
>>100437761
i'm pretty sure u could submit those as a pull/merge request, assuming the repo is still active
>>
>>100425207
bruh it's time to upgrade from your 2015 macbook. you can put together a really good desktop pc for what an entry level reputable brand bicycle costs
>>
>>100434428
are there people doing mockups here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWtyUuY_KiI
>>
>>100434925
Bots are better posters than the average anon
>>
https://youtu.be/t9d4cvBGiMc
Look at this shit this is sick. I'm sure it's absolutely drowned in fx but man, I should make one
>>
>>100444304
You can do the same thing with a hair comb
>>
>>100444385
Ya but the altoids tin is cute
>>
>>100444304
the spring and can aren't really doing anything, it's the contact mic and miles of effects on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgRcWNGcVZg&t=15
>>
>>100444715
If you're good enough with effects you can make any recording sound good.
https://youtu.be/Dnbu0F7dwAc
With all the fancy plugins we have nowadays it's not really that hard to make anything sound like anything else.
The big thing with these hardware things is how expressive and interesting the dry sound can be, and how well it captures the "human touch" and imperfections of your interactions with them.
When you compare the same fancy magical effect chain on a dry signal with lots of character and one without (like a basic synth patch or something), the difference is huge, even with effects that introduce those imperfections themselves.
>>
>>100443748
This wasn't the case a few years ago. What happened exactly?
>>
>>100440874
Autechre, Aphex Twin, Tim Hecker? Just to name the first 3 that came to mind, there are a bazillion more names. There are entire genres of music where knowing how to play an instrument is completely superfluous since they are more centered around sound design and timbre manipulation. I guess you're only talking about buttrock? Even there you can play like shit and create interesting things by virtue of playing like shit, so your opinion is wrong in general
>>
>>100448401
Nta but I think it's generally accepted that even if you don't play any instrument in your music, spending the thousands of hours playing it over the years improves your musicality in a way that makes any musical composition, even in the least musical genres, better.
It's essentially a lot of practice interacting very closely with the melody, harmony, and rhythm of the supposedly good songs you play.
Maybe you would've gotten the same results by practicing composing in the piano roll, or maybe not.
>>
>>100448401
aphex plays piano on some of his albums
>>
>>100448401
all of those people played instruments lmao
>>
>>100450575
Anyone can play some random chords on a piano, I can play the piano a bit, can even improvise in a couple of modes, would I call myself a piano player? Hell no. Tim Hecker is the same, I doubt he could actually perform a piece on any instrument, he just bangs some chords which he then mangles beyond recognition on the computer. Aphex composes his piano pieces entirely through MIDI on the computer, to the point a few of his piano pieces cannot even be physically performed by actual pianists, put Aphex Twin alone with an acoustic piano and he won't know how to play his own pieces or even any beginner shit really
>>
File: 1625432984830.png (158 KB, 663x487)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>100451007
>Anyone can play some random chords on a piano, I can play the piano a bit, can even improvise in a couple of modes, would I call myself a piano player? Hell no. Tim Hecker is the same, I doubt he could actually perform a piece on any instrument, he just bangs some chords which he then mangles beyond recognition on the computer. Aphex composes his piano pieces entirely through MIDI on the computer, to the point a few of his piano pieces cannot even be physically performed by actual pianists, put Aphex Twin alone with an acoustic piano and he won't know how to play his own pieces or even any beginner shit really
>>
>>100451007
this. a lot of music theory tutorials show things on a piano, doesn't mean you're any good at being a piano player just because you understand kinda how it works.

>>100449379
that's like saying being a clothes factory worker will make you a better fashion designer. there are lots of failed music enthusiasts who know how to play intruments but couldn't become professional artists, only music teachers or hobbyists. you can also learn from listening to music and learning the theory, a true genius should be able to imagine things in his head and not have to brute force it mechanically with an instrument.
>>
>>100450575
you sure about that lol
>>
File: 1664294089784428.png (50 KB, 750x800)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>
>>100449379
it is, there's some zoomer contrarianism or troll bait that keeps trying to push that mythical musicians exist that never learned anything about music. rdj has never lied about anything in his life, he just magically grew up in a house with a piano, bought his first synth at 12, and never learned how the keys worked on the thing.
>>
I just wrote a whole page on the "learn instruments" thing and accidentally double ctrl+w'd fml my fuckin life dude

tl;not-writing-again: obviously some truth, but its being passed around as forum advice has turned into a dogma despite not being equally applicable in everybody's situation
>>
>>100452583
it's not dogma, it's malicious and completely disingenuous to say all these famous people never learned an instrument before making music
>>
>>100452786
you argue with the same logical jumps every time lol
>>
I want to learn an instrument, but the cheapest one around is a grand. Why is music only for people with more money than sense?
>>
>>100451149
>that's like saying being a clothes factory worker will make you a better fashion designer.
Terrible analogy. It's more like learning tailoring makes you a better fashion designer, which is why in fashion school they do exactly that.

>there are lots of failed music enthusiasts who know how to play intruments but couldn't become professional artists, only music teachers or hobbyists
The same applies much more to producers who don't play instruments, who can't even get teaching jobs and have to find a day job in an unrelated field.

>you can also learn from listening to music and learning the theory, a true genius should be able to imagine things in his head and not have to brute force it mechanically with an instrument.
They're not mutually exclusive. In fact I'd argue that someone who knows piano has a lot of experience with at least some music theory, so it would be much easier to learn and become good at any music theory.

>a true genius
Ok this is bait.
Thank you for making it clear early on.
>>
thanks to whom'stever reminded me of OsTIrus in the last thread, it's a blast
>>
>>100452803
What logical jumps?
>>
>>100452803
>>100453266
bros who cares about this lame ass discussion
theory vs no theory it's the same shit every time
go make some fucking music
>>
>>100453345
concession accepted, stop arguing you don't need to learn instruments to make music then
>>
>>100453345
>bro who cares about anything nothing mattters just do what you want
/all discussion

thanks bro
>>
>>100452583
Well, nothing universally applies to everyone's situation, but based on how things usually work for most people you can get an idea of how they will work in your particular case, if you have some special circumstances that make the usual advice not apply to some extent.
>>
File: 1622877698059.png (30 KB, 900x779)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>swissonic v7 are sold out
I will never know if they were the deal of the century or another poorfag bait
now I need to figure out if it's worth wasting money on a cobalt5s
>>
>>100453736
i've noticed a massive problem with zoomer and younger people that they take major offense at general advice because of their own super special anecdotal situation which isn't like any other situation. you need to take into account every possible situation in the universe and their headcanon before you say anything that will offend them.

this is at odds entirely with any general or blanket advice which should be obvious when it's useful or applies to your situation, just like humans have handled it for millenia. but the younger kids are literally too stupid to understand that and make everything about themselves
>>
File: images.png (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>100452826
>>
>>100453736
>Well, nothing universally applies to everyone's situatio
well what typed was kind of addressing the larger problem of what I called a "forum dogma"

i.e a "nuanced" response tailored to somebody's particular context is almost universally replied to with the forum-gremlin who can *only* accept advice being given within the box of the common knowledge/universal truth or whatever of that particular circle.
Shit's silly man.

>>100453882
You've noticed a "problem" that's always existed among young people because you're older now.
It's boomer confirmation bias.
>>
new polyend tracker is looking really nice
>>
>>100454682
Yeah that's true, but I don't see that happening here (even though it might be where some advice is coming from), since Anon asked a more general question and didn't specify anything personal.
>>
>>100454682
>You've noticed a "problem" that's always existed among young people because you're older now.
No, this is definitely a more noticeable phenomenon in the the past few years. Nothing boomer about it
>>
>>100454708
which one is the new one, I just went to their site and it's either a tracker+ or tracker mini?
$799 for a tracker, I think they were 450 or something when they first released weren't they?
>>
>>100454794
>phenomenon in the the past few years. Nothing boomer about it
You know how many random ass "phenomenons" people can make up on the spot about kids these days?
There's zero way to quantify that and people say new shit like that all the time mate
>>
>>100454708
i think they realized it may be easier to release new models rather than fix old issues by firmware, meanwhile dirtywave bros get endless free feature adds
>>
>>100453392
you're dunning-kruger if you think you're proficient at playing an instrument, no one is impressed by you strumming a guitar or hitting chords on a synth
>>
>>100452826
What country?
Cheap/used electric guitar e.g. Yamaha Pacifica: ~£100-200
Zoom MS-50G: ~£85

Cheap 88-key MIDI controller: ~£200
Junky laptop/desktop: very cheap
LinuxSampler: free
Maestro Concert Grand piano sample set: free
>>
>>100455062
>no one is impressed by you strumming a guitar or hitting chords on a synth
nta but my mom was plenty impressed when I showed her a royal road chord progression on my shitty electone
>>
>>100455647
All of these instruments are bad. Fundamentally so, they have too many basic flaws.

Like I said, it's about a grand for a real instrument.
>>
>>100452826
Why are you poor?
>>
>>100454858
good point, have you taken a look at the model:02 yet? I always wanted the dirtywave but could never get my hands on one, figuring a lot of used ones may be showing up now that the successor is available
>>
>>100455958
You can sing, it's free
>>
>>100456039
I'm not poor, I just know the value of things. Which is why it's annoying that 20 dollars in parts costs about a grand.

I understand you have to pay a premium because of the cost of R&D and such, I'd be alright with paying 500 bucks or so. I'd pay a grand or two for a perfect instrument, but this is only a cheap one, nobody makes a perfect instrument because music is too obsessed with "tradition".

>>100456220
I don't like singing. Terrible octave range.
>>
>>100455958
pacificas are not bad
>>
>>100456249
All of this is arbitrary and made up. You have a laughably low IQ
>>
>>100456249
>I'm not poor, I just know the value of things.
No, you're a faggot and also probably poor because
>I'd pay a grand or two for a perfect instrument
shows you have no clue about actual instruments played by actual musicians irl. It's understandable to post like this on a poverty board like /g/, but to imply you have real world expertise is foolish. Make an effort to grow and change as a person.
>>
>>100456249
>I just know the value of things
How do you know other than making it up yourself?
>>
>>100456249
>I'm not poor, I just know the value of things. Which is why it's annoying that 20 dollars in parts costs about a grand.
>I understand you have to pay a premium because of the cost of R&D and such, I'd be alright with paying 500 bucks or so. I'd pay a grand or two for a perfect instrument, but this is only a cheap one, nobody makes a perfect instrument because music is too obsessed with "tradition".
What instrument are you even making this fuss about anon?
>>
>>100456286
Guitars in general are bad.

>>100456354
>shows you have no clue about actual instruments played by actual musicians irl.
I'm well aware retarded musicians will happily fork over 10k for a guitar made out of wood, or a few hundred grand for a classical instrument with a meme name.

None of these people have any clue to begin with. Which is why they're using instruments that are bad.
>>
i don't know whether to get a digitakt 2 or a bunch of smaller things for the same price. i feel like a lot of different stuff would be more fun, but the digitakt just seems to do literally everything so it's kind of difficult to justify getting anything else
>>
this is the kind of perseon telling you that learning an instrument is unnecessary to make music
>>
>>100456055
nah, i have one of the old ones and have no need to upgrade
>>
>>100456485
>I'm well aware retarded musicians will happily fork over 10k for a guitar made out of wood, or a few hundred grand for a classical instrument with a meme name.
If you were well aware, you'd know that instruments at the highest level are endowed, not bought. You're digging deeper.
>>
File: elektronsheep.png (319 KB, 719x1277)
319 KB
319 KB PNG
>>100456505
what smaller things would you get?
If you don't have a sampler at all you could scratch that itch with a po-33 for less than 100 bucks or any old 2nd hand sampler
some of those sonicware boxes also look really neat and technically have more features
or an MPC One though it looks about as inspiring as dried pigeon shit imho
if you want to mangle incoming audio from what I've read it's better to go with an octatrack, if you just want a sample machine dt2 is fine (though I'm still a bit biased against it because of the retarded no-stereo of dt1)
also do at least consider pic related...
>>
>>100456549
the forever updates thing looks good, I'll probably try to setup a headless and see if I can get in on one of the next buys. Unfortunately I'm a leaf and the secondary market is pretty much non-existent here. thanks for pointing that one out, I was looking into it a while ago and completely forgot about it
>>
>>100456485
>Guitars in general are bad.
based and redpilled
>>
>>100457392
it doesn't look too hard to setup a teensy if you are running out of options. good luck.
>>
>>100456796
>what smaller things would you get?
i'm not entirely sure. maybe a microgranny, a korg volca of some kind (or a PO), a bestie and some little effect box (monotron delay perhaps)? i just wanna get started with something and basically just want a way to mangle samples, have some sort of ambient/textural background noise and have high bpm drums on top with overdrive or distortion. otherwise digitakt seems like the perfect fit because i don't need that much
>>
>>100453214
yeah that was me, you're welcome. it's absolutely incredible. some of the best pad sounds I've ever heard
>>
>>100458566
there's sadly no volca that can actually sample (as in record something you put into it), that said the volca sample was one of my first pieces of gear and I had tons of fun with it. PO33 is also loads of fun though it has a definite lofi sound. For a small fx consider the zoom multistomp ms70cdr.
Maybe just get the digitakt though if you feel like it does everything you want in one box, idk
>>
>>100456505
>>100458566
if you don't need 16 tracks banging away at once, get a digitakt used and take advantage of the flood that just hit the used market thanks to mk2. it's the only reason I would even consider upgrading from my trusty mk1 to mk2
>>
>>100458566
great time to buy a mk i, when all the gas anons are dumping. try to catch the bottom of the dip
>>
>>100460354
>>100460478
not him but I'm tempted too... Though what I'm really lusting after are those automatic record/playback machines the octatrack (and md uw) has...
>>
>>100458816
Tried the Micro Q one too, very nice as well though I'm not sure it adds much over the blofeld. Was hoping they'd do the jp8080 next but that's not motorola 56k chip...
>>
>>100435401
hasn't stopped me from posting in threads but the 5-minute timer sure as fuck has made me stop making threads, what's the point in waiting 5 minutes to get 2 replies and then get archived
>>
You literally don’t need anything besides a computer and Ableton. That’s all Arca and Monolake used. Anything else is bloat and cope.
>>
>>100460518
i love my ot, you either want to toss it through a window or you join the cult. the time stretching and pitching tech is feeling its age, but i still like it.
>>
>>100460679
I don't care about any form of stretching or pitching other than the classic style that just changes playback speed
probably gonna hold out for a good deal on an ot mk1
>>
>>100460649
You picked those people out specifically just to reply to yourself
>not true
>not real music!!!
>TRANNY BTFO
>abletroon!!! Xd

Please fuck off already
>>
>>100460649
it's all about having FUN anon
>>
>>100460588
If they do the supernova 2 I won't have to worry about getting mine plumbed back in
>>
>>100460865
the updates are all backwards compatible, you should be in good shape
>>
Hey I'm looking to build a very basic playback / loop system (yes, I've already looked at all consumer products that aren't $1000). I'm hoping to manage sync playback of 6-10 audio buffers with record capability. I have very specific needs for how the loops are queued, controlled, and recorded, and I'm gonna have to roll my own logic for it.

So far, it's looking like a beefy SBC with RNBO is going to be the best option. I looked at C libraries and embedded stuff (LEAF) but it seems a bit overkill and DSP-oriented for me (I don't need any FX, just playback and MIDI sync).

Has anyone undertaken anything similar, or know of the best way to get this level of IO? SBC paired with a consumer 8x8 interface is good, but feels like I'm just using a computer without using a computer at that point. Feels like AD/DA and read/write speed are the big bottlenecks.

Any suggestions? Or just tell me this is dumb.
>>
>>100460995
>I have very specific needs for how the loops are queued, controlled, and recorded, and I'm gonna have to roll my own logic for it.
why
>>
>>100460995
It's not dumb if that's what you want musically. Do you need 6-10 separate inputs and/or outputs or just stereo with 8 tracks internally? That'd limit your options quite a bit I guess.
You could have a look at Organelle, you can build your logic with puredata. Or just a raspberry pi running puredata desu. Maybe monome norns or an rpi with norns shield. Axoloti but they are hard to come by these days.
I don't think r/w or processing are gonna be anything of a bottleneck these days especially if everything fits in ram.
>>
Ok, I've convinced myself...
I'm going to add the ability to save and recall sequences to my MIDI app. I think this is a necessary feature to make it usable. I have some ideas for how to implement it, but this is also going to be an absolute nightmare to code...
>>
>>100461253
what else does a midi app do if not saving and recalling sequences?
>>
>>100461285
Well right now it records and loops them, but it can't persist them past the current session
>>
>>100460995
You could have a look at this stuff too
>https://bela.io/products/bela-and-bela-mini/
>https://bela.io/products/multichannel/
>https://forum.bela.io/d/319-max-msp-gen-integration
I found it on lines which is also where you could consider looking for some more ideas
>https://llllllll.co/t/implementing-a-minimal-asynchronous-multitrack-looper-in-hardware/11893
>>
>>100461388
also this thread (obviously)
>https://llllllll.co/t/hardware-loopers/5306
you *might* be able to cobble something together from a couple of eurorack modules in a small case, too, in case you hadn't considered that yet.
>>
1010 bitbox micro has 8 ins and 8 outs
>>
or this one
https://schneidersladen.de/en/rossum-electro-music-assimil8or
or two of these maybe (open-source firmware)
https://schneidersladen.de/en/expert-sleepers-super-disting-ex-plus-a
or this
https://schneidersladen.de/en/alm-busy-circuits-squid-salmple
>>
>>100369063
>I hate that I've never made a track.
these are the people telling you you need buy overpriced gear and play instruments
>>
Did a quickie withinthe 12th album restrictions for fun, never though it was this hard to make drums from scratch. Ear rape alert
https://voca.ro/12JoTZ2b8TNv
>>
>>100448401
Fuck I meant someone who didn't learn an instrument not using an instrument.
>>100450626
Thanks for saving me a google search
>>
Anybody here have experience with sunvox or deflemask? I'm thinking of just loading up lgpt on a psp emulator but if the android native trackers are better then I don't mind shelling out a few bucks
>>
bump for the retard that thinks you can only learn to play music on high quality instruments
>>
>>100463946
He didn't say that, he said that he's giving up on learning music because he decided that instruments shouldn't cost that much, therefore he refuses to buy them on principle, which is way way way more retarded
>>
>>100463946
I didn't say that. I said I don't personally see a point in learning music on bad instruments, and most instruments are bad.

>>100465167
I'm not giving up on music, I'm just lamenting the state of the industry.
>>
>>100465636
me when my parents won't buy me a baby grand piano because it's "too expensive" (if i play anything worse i'll kill myself)

ignoring shitting on you for your bad opinions, your outlook is also just fundamentally opposed to how a vast majority of people learn to play music. you aren't supposed to go all in on some professional-grade instrument because you aren't a professional

"but what if it sounds bad"
ok. you're gonna sound bad to mediocre anyways for the first several thousand hours
"then i'll just need to buy another later"
but if you actually hate it, you won't have to and you won't be thousands in the hole. and so what? that's like an extra $300 on top of an already high price tag

literally just pick a student-level instrument, or a shitty free piano on craigslist that somebody is just begging to get rid of, and play it for a year. if you make any progress whatsoever, you can upgrade. it's that simple. you aren't going to sound good at the start anyways. buying an expensive instrument you can't play is like giving a pig a nice pearl necklace, there's literally no point
>>
>>100466279
Again, arguments from ignorance. You seem to confuse me calling instruments "bad" with me calling particular examples of instruments bad.

Yes, an 88 key grand piano is a better piano than a 25 key MIDI keyboard. But the piano itself is the BAD instrument here. You approach music like most retards out there, with the idea that if something has been done a certain way for a long time, that means it's the optimal way to do things. Or you just want to play the same kind of instrument as someone you like or something.

Like I said, a grand is the minimum for a beginner instrument, because they don't make them for cheaper than that yet. I could absolutely pick up a cheap piano or guitar, but I don't want to play these bad instruments.
>>
>>100462769
Sunvox is very nice even autechre have used it. Mostly I just used it for the modular synthesis stuff to play it real-time, not with the tracker, though.
If you want to jam on the psp you could also load up a psx2psp eboot of Music 2000.
>>
>>100466279
>me when my parents won't buy me a baby grand piano because it's "too expensive" (if i play anything worse i'll kill myself)
It's their money lol get a job loser.
>>100466713
Wait can you even get a decent baby grand for a grand? I thought real pianos were way more than that. Anyway just get over yourself and get pianoteq and a decent keyboard.
>>
>>100467854
>a decent keyboard.
Why would I buy an instrument that doesn't do the things I want to do?
>>
>>100467989
Because you're poor lol
>>
>>100465636
yeah how are you going to develop a musical ear when the instrument isn't musical. countless millions people learned to play an instrument and they didn't become artists. having a bad instrument cripples you in a similar way as having shitty monitors and a slow computer cripples you in music productions, the chances are astronomically low that you will ever record a hit song. it's frightening that several anons come from game development, not having shipped a commercially viable game in 10 years, and now they are telling you to spend thousands of hours learning a music instrument let alone music production, they haven't learned their lesson.
>>
File: 1699739113522.png (280 KB, 564x468)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
>>
>>100467854
>It's their money lol get a job loser.
the esl has failed to understand that i was not speaking self referentially, impressive stuff
>>
>>100469144
oh never mind then
I'd really like a baby grand too though since listening to that keith jarrett concert lel
>>
>>100469283
lol it happens
but yeah playing on a nice piano is really great. i just need to take the time to improve literally everything about my playing before i could even think about justifying a baby grand purchase tho lmao
>>
>>100465636
>can't play music
>thinks most instruments are bad and therefore won't learn on them
Stay away
>>
>>100471143
it's gotta be trolls. same people saying it's dogma to learn an instrument. these magical 16-20 year olds are making the most amazing music in the world with just youtube tutorials and never touching an instrument before
>>
>>100471162
Yeah, let's see how many of them will 'make it' in their own terms.
>>
>>100471162
>>100471309
i played the keyboard as a child. but i wouldn't call myself a keyboard just as i wouldn't call myself a basketball player because i know how to bounce a ball and shoot hoops. you must be young and naive to think it's worth spending thousands of hours on a single instrument if you're not seeking a career in performing with that instrument as opposed to producing music which is what this thread is about.
>>
for example infected mushroom who are successful producers, they are really talentles hacks who just had the chutzpah to steal the name infected mushroom from another local band that disbanded and to make soulless cheesy music on a computer. their most popular song just relies on vocals and mexican guitar done by someone else.
>>
>>100472208
learning a skill is a hobby and that's what this thread is about. Agree make it fags are retarded but you're just being a contrarian while still buying into their overall discourse
>>
>>100472480
there's hardly any overlap between the type of dorks that would play for instance a flute or violin vs the technical side of producing in a DAW
>>
>>100472208
by that definition you must be a professional mastubater living the dream
>>
the airwindows guy probably doesn't play an instrument, doesn't sing or anything
>>
>>100472552
he does all of those, is autistic, and puts out weekly plugins. mogs your retarded ass
>>
File: tr.gif (1.5 MB, 400x400)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB GIF
>>100453214

It asked me for some .bin file to use it, then I go on the website and read this:

>Our emulator(s) work by executing the original code (ROM/firmware) of the synth it is emulating; it is not capable of generating audio on its own. Our emulators are intended for use only by legitimate owners of the hardware synth(s).
>>
>>100472563
i haven't seen a pic of him even owning a music keyboard but lots of plugin type gear
he's barely made any music
https://soundcloud.com/airwindows
>>
is /prod/ down? awful lot of mental illness here for no reason
>>
>>100472699
cope
>>
>>100472597
Ok but what's the point here? He makes plugins, why should he be a proficient keyboard player or whatever?
>>
>>100472745
see >>100472529

>He didn’t know how to play piano in his beginnings. In fact he said what he liked the most about fl studios is that he could draw the notes, and it was very easy. He learned down the road
https://www.reddit.com/r/avicii/comments/ayraj1/does_anyone_know_if_tim_learned_to_play_the_piano/
>>
other anons are saying you need thousands of hours of practice playing an instrument on top of any other music production skills, as if you need to be a pro-level performer to use fruity loops
>>
>>100472529
how many flute or violin players do you know?
>>
>>100472745
incredibly mentally ill people with all the free time in the world to shitpost and make things miserable for everyone else. just ignore that guy, he's never made anything and never will
>>
>>100472810
says you
>>
>it's the avicii guy
He baits us every day and we continue to argue with him.
We REALLY need the thread rule:
>If someone says something stupid, just ignore it. There's a high likelihood that it's bait.
>>
I've got a plugin addiction. I think I don't even like to make music. I just want to play with plugins.
>>
>>100472880
this is the digital music production general, as in using ableton etc, not fucking learning to play the piano or guitar, obsessing about buying $1k+ instruments and analog gear but still using a 2015 macbook and complaining about DAWs running slow
>>
>>100472902
This is the talk shit about things I've never used general and you're in the right place
>>
>>100444304
>clearly a shimmer reverb in the background
It sounds nice, but it's not that spring in the box that does most of the work.
>>
>>100472208
How's that career in music production going?
>>
>>100472981
And that's why is why japanoise musicians always break whatever instrument they're playing, clench the ripped-out contact mic in their mouth, and spend the rest of the concert tweaking effects while violently shaking their heads
>>
>>100474090
Crackhead -> :|
Crackhead, Japan -> :O
>>
>>100474157
imagine the ambition of a nip crackhead comparatively
>>
>>100474195
Too powerful. They keep discovering immortality, perpetual motion machines, wormhole drives, the secret to cheap grand pianos, etc but the government always kills them off before the information gets out.
>>
I am hustling my way through this so please help me.
I'm using HeSuVi with crossfire when I listen to stereo stuff just because it feels better, otherwise I use one of its hrirs for multiple-channels like in movies.
I also slapped Peace equalizer on top to mess around and I have a preset to make voices clearer but the best use for this is that it has an automatic peak detection and it automatically adjusts the dB so I literally never get to hear clipping or have to worry about it manually.

Now I get confused about LoudMax.
I have to use it if I want to boost dialogues in movies (altought HeSuVi hrirs fix it fors the most part) or when I want to still understand something on the lowest possible volume on my headphones.
From what I understand it undergoes a compression of the entire audio dynamic range, from the thresholds you put in, so in essence it achieves what I subjectively wanted.
But here's the catch, every time I turn it on even if I leave everything on defualt Peace equalizer stops detecting any peaks at 0 dB lvl and I think I don't hear any clipping either.
Is this a good thing? Should I first let peace adjust the peak signal and then use its values to adjust the limiter? Would that do a better job at preventing the sound from being flat in case it does that dynamic compression?
>>
>>100476559
just turn up the volume, the only reason to use a compressor or limiter is if your amp is underpowered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEQmmG6TzE
>>
>>100476559
off topic
>>
>>100476716
you will never be a moderator (and besides even then you won't be able to do anything)
>>
>>100476716
says you
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3fFI7ovGBM
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (251 KB, 1600x1200)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
Lads...
>>
for example in a transformers movie the gun sounds are heavily compressed, you don't blow your ears out even with the volume turned up to comfortably hear the dialogue
>>
>>100476801
Answer me this, what's better for your ears over 8 hours.
70 dB
or 50 dB where you cannot tell a difference but you feel better in every conceivable way
>>
>>100454858
They just released new firmware for the old Tracker including a mod / it import function and other improvements.
>>
>>100476863
ridiculous
most professional producers and mixing and mastering engineers use more like 70 dB
you won't be going deaf from that
>>
and i'm considered insane for wanting low ambient noise from my computer etc but you want to listen at 50 dB
>>
>>100476901
literally all greybeards have hearing damage lmao
>>
>>100460649
Ableton BLOWS for MIDI.
>>
>>100476941
well, ideally i'd use my time effectively (not spending thousands of hours on a single thing like learning an instrument) and release some music before i turn into a greybeard, most old people are fucking useless, people are getting sick of david guetta etc, retirement by 30-40 is normal in sports
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWe94BnoG0
>>
File: dsp56xx.png (47 KB, 1065x767)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>100460588
>>100453214
Waldorf XT emulation is up next, there is already a alpha version for donators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Kr07JyAfg
>>
>>100476901
Meh, 70 db is really low, can't even properly hear what the low bass is doing at that level, most professional engineers mix and master at way louder levels than that
>>
>>100467807
Oh slick I'll check out music 2000
And also probably sunvox lel, thanks anon
>>
>>100476941
that happens regardless of your habits, you can only hope you're getting less damage than others
>>
>>100479359
what?
>>
>>100474157
went to see a japanese electromechanical noise type concert and at some point the guy was smoking 3 cigs at once lmao
>>100476636
>the only reason to use a compressor or limiter is if your amp is underpowered
these are the people giving you music production advice
>>
>>100479518
it works out, the OP wasn't about production anyway, just headphone faggotry
>>
>>100472586
yes my nigga that means it's time for audioz
>>
File: s341213212.png (528 KB, 750x423)
528 KB
528 KB PNG
>>100460649
>ableton
>>
>>100479614
Is that your special needs table at school?
>>
File: 1620949258072.jpg (81 KB, 419x480)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>100479905
>trannyton user resorting to anger
>>
>>100462769
>deflemask
Never ever. Use Furnace Tracker instead.
>>
>>100478970
I always set the speakers for the loudest to be 85db
>>
What analog limiters (not software) do you use to keep audio system glitches from bursting your eardrums?
Are there any audio interfaces that have them built in?
>>
>>100480316
>audio interface
>analog (not software)
huh?
>>
>>100480316
volume setting in external DAC/amp
>>
>>100481162
can you hear the analogue warmth from your hand on the knob?
>>
File: Screenshot.png (34 KB, 380x366)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wAsaCtxg18Y
>>
File: Screenshot.png (403 KB, 1158x318)
403 KB
403 KB PNG
>>
File: hygyqd9684ic1.png (1.1 MB, 1080x2267)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB PNG
>>100480943
The limiter can actually be digital, but it has to be totally outside the computer's DSP chain to defend against bugs like Logic "noise blasts"
>>
>>100481338
Why did you post this here?
Also thank you for posting this here.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmnQHznwXAk
>>
>>100483142
I give him 2 years tops
>>
>>100460903
This
>>
Regarding the current troll, in french there's a saying that goes like 'if the youth knew, if the elder could'. Is there anything similar in English? When I was young I had energy, enthusiasm and dedication but my output was shit. Now I'm far more knowledgeable, a far better instrumentalist, a hobbyist DSP programmer but I struggle to finish my dmp submission. But I don't really care: playing live in bands is incredibly more pleasurable and rewarding.
>>
>>100484372
"Youth is wasted on the young"?
>>
>>100484385
>"Youth is wasted on the young"
Ha. I guess. Kind of brutal.
>>
>>100484372
>Is there anything similar in English?
I wouldn’t call it a saying, but some form of ‘when you’re young you have the energy and time but not the means (I think people generally say money) and when you’re old you have the time and means but not the energy’
And something in between where youre an adult don’t have the time idk

That’s more about lifestyle or whatever than chasing a passion though.
>>
>>100480124
U got my hopes up that it had a release for android :'(
>>
>>100481520
ahh
if you use Jack you could rig something like that, no idea otherwise
>>
>>100484372
I thought the french say life starts at 50 lel
anyway the whole point of youth is not yet worrying about the shortness of life etcc so it's a bit paradoxical innit
>>
Bro I can't search to save my life it took so many attempts just to realize I needed to use SW rendering
Anyways lfg
>>
>>100486862
wait why the heck are you even emulating a psp to run lgpt? Why not just run the native linux or windows version at that point? I thought you were gonna use an actual psp or smth.
>>
>>100481451
Yea, I fucking hate those "producer youtubers" who overreact on everything.
>>
hey lsdj is free now? I seem to remember it cost money?
>>
File: 07_47_51.png (21 KB, 765x369)
21 KB
21 KB PNG
>>100487606
>lsdj
looks free as in beer to me
>>
File: image.png (1.39 MB, 1024x1024)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
wtf lol this would pretty much pass as album art for a small-time EDM artist. maybe replace the guy with your actual pic. prompt was "Avicii in heaven" with 50 sampling steps
https://huggingface.co/spaces/multimodalart/HunyuanDiT
>>
>>100488414
That's almost exactly the album art for Chris Travis Waterworld
>>
>>100488414
diffusion album art is an instant nope from me
>>
>>100488032
I was confused with nanoloop I guess
>>
File: 1644081942643.jpg (115 KB, 960x719)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>100434428
Let me say what you don't want to hear.

You can make anything you want to make on a cheap laptop with a pirated copy of one of the popular DAWs.

You don't need any hardware, you are just collecting them, you already have all the hardware you need to utilize any creativity you have

The same goes for software development. (games, apps, etc)
>>
File: image.png (1.25 MB, 1024x1024)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB PNG
>>100488599
you could just take inspiration from it like instead of pic related take a different pic of a sky and a pic of you floating in the air
>>
or pay someone on fiverr to draw a cartoon version
>>
>>100488414
>>100488456
>>100488671
Got any examples of album art, AI or otherwise, that isn't some cheesy bullshit for 15yos?
>>
File: GRN2.jpg (206 KB, 900x900)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
>>100491005
>>
>>100481451
Compressors.. all the hype around those things drives me nuts. I can barely tell the difference most of the time, but they never fail to suck me in when I'm blocked for ideas, having me experiment with them for hours instead of doing something useful.
>>
>>100491348
>not a solo jazz cup
missed chance
>>
File: 1706208467283917.png (150 KB, 354x319)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>100434428
Let me say what you don't want to hear.

Spending the majority of your time gazing into a laptop will ruin your eyes, tendons, neck and back

Playing an instrument doesn't require the internet, subscriptions, backups or authentication.

The same goes for exiting the gooning cave, going outside, and socializing with other people
>>
>>100492002
the irony of this post coming from some nefarious little gremlin who spends 12 hours a day trying to make people mad on a basketweaving forum when he doesn't even weave
>>
Lots of sales seem to be happening at the moment, got my self another year for Bitwig for £69 and count me in the group that likes the new file browser.
I see Reason also has a sale on however I'm not sure if the standalone is also included in sale or if it's just the wank reason+ sub.
>>
>>100492122
he posted almost the exact same post in 8640, just ignore
>>
>>100492233
i'm the anon who causes the most asshurt, i agree with neither of them. a lot of old/cheap computers can't even play youtube videos without dropping frames, it's just not good enough to cope with shitty equipment if you have any ambitions of making modern music of decent quality
>>
>>100492232
>sales
>on worthless software you can pirate for free
That's not a sale, buddy.
>>
>>100492232
are the upgrades on shitwig yearly? that's the opposite of what i'd want to be spending money on a sale for. i've used ableton for over a decade now it doesn't feel worth switching when i have that and fl
>>
>>100492443
when you pay for nigwig you are paying for 1 year of updates and then you'll keep what you get forever, so if they stop releasing things you want then you can just keep on your version
nigwig is still catching up to disableton and I think it is going to take around 2-4 years to finish some of the features people want from disableton
>>
>>100492657
yeah i have suite and some useful max devices, still seems like years to catch up unless i went to a linux box full time
>>
>>100492385
Being poor isn't cool you know
>>
>>100492948
Having money and wasting it in a stupid way isn't cool either.
>>
https://youtu.be/Z9AXYswaOp8
>>
>>100488640
from the thumb I was expecting hitler with a giant kiwi
>>
File: o.png (136 KB, 301x463)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
Spectrum matching eq is pretty cool, there was this track where I was never satisfied with the mixing of it, just spectrum matched eq to a similar ''professional'' track in the same genre and it instantly sounds ''brofessional'', almost feels like cheating
>>
>>100495186
how leg
>>
>>100493837
imagine what music could be like in the future with ayylmao type of instruments, it's just a matter of time before the vast majority of people abandon shitty pianos and acoustic guitars in favor of more advanced synths, electric guitars and other instruments that me haven't even thought of
>>
>>100487579
I need something to play with when I'm not at my pc lol
Also I mean I could run it on my psp but then I'd need to make sure the battery isn't bulging and actually hack it and I'm laaazy
>>
>>100495186
Isn't that literally a vocoder? (not that there would be anything wrong with that)
>>
>>100495186
I used the shit out of them until I learned to reference and EQ better.
Still a good quick and dirty way to get going though.

I just want more key tracking.
Like *objectively* the current ways of EQing actually fall well below what they could actually be.
The sound changes constantly as do the other instruments, and yet the EQ (frequency) is static? Hell no
Yeah there’s that one fancier gullfoss but it’s not the same.
Even back in the 80s that one autist was aware and did auto eq per note on that hair metal bands album (can’t recall the name but it came up here before).

In the future one of the ways our music will sound “old” is from how comparatively un dynamic our mixes are in that regard, similar to how we view regular music (barring the highest quality release) from 10-20+ years ago as being poorly mixed, or how early recordings just sound lo-fi by our standards.
>>
>>100495738
ya I have the same battery problem with my psp, sad situation
>>
>>100495833
But what's the point of doing all that at the master EQ stage where it's exceedingly difficult, when you can do it very easily at the synthesis, per-track fx or mixing stage? E.g. tuning EQ per individual note seems neat on the face of it but you can literally just put a keytracked filter on your polysynth and it'd be the same thing, right?
>>
>>100495875
>keytracked filter
I do it for mixing purposes in pretty much every track now, but the concept could go much further.
Filter shapes more akin to an actual eq obviously, but I’d like input/conditional stuff and pattern/target based options as well
I didn’t type any of that with master EQ in mind.
>>
>>100495833
filter analysis is generally done as being time invariant, when you start modulating them at audio rates then they become unstable and the math is no longer valid to analyze them with
>>
Bump
>>
Holy BALLS this thread's shitted up, it's to the point where one must suspect the mods and jannies hate it.
>>
>>100495842
It's a shame but I guess I get it since the batteries are old as hell
>>
>>100498237
You only need one shitposter to make people leave or stop posting.
>>
>>100483748
I reckon less than a year instead.
>>
>>100488414
Mate, it's not hard to get to grips with the basics of blender and just tweak the finish with pirated photoshop
>>
>>100500566
Blender is hard to make actually cool shit with.
Unreal Engine 5 + Quixel Megascans gives you easy-ish photorealistic results and the renders don't take an eternity.
>>
File: Screenshot.png (79 KB, 663x470)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMWszWYX2OQ

ffs i dislike the examples of the happy songs in minor. do you have any better examples? i dislike barbie girl which is in minor but i like doctor jones which is major.
>>
Clean Bandit, Mabel - Tick Tock (feat. 24kGoldn) is very happy and it's in C Major
>>
basically it seems that making a happy song in minor is a terrible idea. you might get some success with it because people have low standards or you're famous enough and have distribution channels in place so it will still do numbers. but major is popular for a reason.
>>
in regards to this thread basically capsizing recently, for any voca posters that have stopped but are still lurking: why? were you murdered by the album grind? did the thread become too aids? busy?
>>
survivor by destiny's child isn't even happy, it's about suffering and finding the strength to survive a tough situation
>>
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-song-Barbie-Girl-by-Aqua-sound-so-cheery-and-upbeat-if-its-in-a-minor-key

>Either way, there’s still no very decisive tonicisation of E major as the key of this song: harmonically speaking, the song is like a party at which E major is nominally the host, but the guests have run wild, and are ignoring E major’s frantic attempts to stop them from doing keg stands, smoking indoors and puking into the houseplants.

>In short: I put it to the reader that ‘Barbie Girl’ is technically in E major, but that it has a weak sense of that tonality, because of the way the chord progression refuses to firmly resolve to the tonic, making use of minor chords and the exceptionally close relationship between the major scale (E major) and its natural minor scale (C minor).

>Edit: Writing this answer put me in a great deal of uneasiness about the extent to which it even makes sense to talk about a song like ‘Barbie Girl’ as being in definitely one key and not another. Specifically, the way it rocks back and forth between E major and C# minor.

>And last night I watched this video, which brilliantly demonstrates that with a great number of rock and pop songs, talk of a definite tonic key is beside the point, because some songs, such as in this instance Lynyrd Skynyrd’s ‘Sweet Home Alabama’, are really in two related keys simultaneously, D and G:
>>
>>100502737
I stopped posting (frequently) this/last thread or two because AIDs.
I stopped posting vocaroos before that mostly because the thread is slow/unpopulated and that made my frequent posting of them feel overly spammy, even over a period days.

If I had technical stuff to show or talk about then I’d usually post them here instead of /prod/, there just hasn’t been much lately.
>>
we get told that some negro's screechy wind instrument music from 50 years ago is good, and then it turns out that it's a cheerful song in minor, which goes against basic music theory, which validates our intuition that the song sucks, 99% of people aren't listening to such songs in good faith, they're just telling you that they're good to try to seem "intellectual" and "sophisticated"
>>
>>100502387
why should i give a shit what scale is my track in
i just press the keys until they sound right
>>
>>100503245
aqua made a fortune off of barbie girl, it sure seems like it could be helpful to know some music theory tricks like switching between E major and C# minor or whatever
>>
and youtube suggests those videos like david bennett is supposedly an expert even though his content is like high school dropout presentation tier
>>
at 5 mins he unironically plays the tetris theme
no one listens to the tetris theme for fun without playing the game
>>
>>100502949
Ah yeah that makes sense. Honestly I've been glossing over a lot of posts just cause I know I'll end up biting some bait lel
And I get you about feeling spammy. My output is way too low to post lots of vocas but every time I have a question it branches into like 10 others so I either condense or pick the most pertinent one and cry about the rest...

Man tho speaking of output mine has basically dropped to 0 because I'm desperately trying to figure out how to get to grips with good 2a03 composition. Feels just a lil bad ngl
>>
File: barbie_girl_chords.png (66 KB, 822x425)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
>>100502915
Very interesting actually. Trying lately to get away from using the same 2 chords in G minor but it's difficult to figure out which non-scale chords I can borrow without sounding like shit.
>>
>>100503571
Theme C is where it's at.
>>
File: barbie_girl_chords2.png (16 KB, 543x398)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>100503912
>>
>>100503571
i do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV7GijG9ZWY
>>
>>100503873
>search 2a03
>first results are some agp gigahon
why can't anyone normal do this
>>
dawnicy, MC MN - SONIC.EXE - ULTRA SLOWED
>>
>>100503245
it is a lot less work to write music if you know music theory. you are not coming up with anything amazing or groundbreaking anyway so you are just being inefficient doing it until you think it sounds right.
>>
>>100491348
Perfection.
>>
New thread:
>>100508042
>>100508042
>>100508042
>>100508042
>>100508042

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.