[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1717133187230282.jpg (128 KB, 1125x834)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
good news poor faggots
use zed already NIGGER
>>
What does this offer that VSCode doesn't?
>>
Why would I use this over GNU Nano
>>
>>101354790
real-time multiplayer editing
not taking 10 seconds to start up
not lagging when files have more than 10 lines of code
not bundling an outdated google chrome and node.js just to render text
>>
it uses 4GB RAM for showing a fucking text file
>>
so why should I chose it over gnu emacs?
>>
Z
>>
zeds dead baby, zeds dead
>>
>>101354790
none, it just tries to sell itself with buzzwords and marketing bullshit. Retards will love it.
>>
worst editor I have ever had the displeasure of installing on my computer
>>
>>101354728
nvim works fine
>>
>>101355571
kek, just checked and it's written in rust. Certified meme tier
>>
>>101354728
Very nice!
>>
>>101354728
Tried it compiled myself on linux.

It's just not a very strong offering unless you're specifically using rust or like AI or like built-in LSP and are cool with limited languages.
>>
I use helix. Don't care about gooey.
>>
Isn't this the editor that was initially nonfree? Neo sublime? It looks like a monster in terms of complexity.
>Backed by a company with dubious business plan
>We're hiring!
Idk bros. Looks like a bait and switch trap. Is it actually any good?
>>
>>101354824
Sounds like you need a new PC friend.
>>
>>101355869
Not a huge fan of that Zed thing but my computer has i5-1240p, 32gb of DDR4, 1tb nvme and vscode still takes >=10 seconds to fire up. Thats why people are looking for native alternatives.
>>
>>101355869
zed opens instantly and multiplayer mode never lags. sounds like vs code needs a real UI
>>
I use CLion.
>>
>>101354728
If I didn't already have a nicely configured neovim setup I'd consider trying it
At the moment it does not seem to offer enough incentives to switch for me
>>
>>101354728
I've been using it the past few days and its fine.
I do prefer helix I think?
>>
>>101354728
Why do we need a GPU accelerated text editor anyways? Can't a cpu render text on the screen?
Also, multiplayer? I am writing text, not playing a game
>>
since this thread is about editors:
are there any good alternatives to vscode for Windows? I know /g/ is a linux board but I've been looking around and I can't find anything worth switching to. Is WSL2 with nvim/lazyvim worth it?
>>
>>101356280
>neovagina
dilate
>>
I installed it on arch but the open/save file dialog is broken, it doesn't show at all.

nice one
>>
>>101356357
Helix.
>>
>>101356547
thank you
I'm trying it out right now, it's pretty neat.
>>
>>101356351
>Why
because they can't compete with useful features
>>
>>101357226
you are the 4th anon we have recruited. when there are 10 of us, we will organize a helix tutor speedrun.
>>
>>101354728
https://github.com/zed-industries/zed/issues/12589
https://github.com/zed-industries/zed/issues/13918
https://github.com/zed-industries/zed/pull/14034
>>
>>101354790
It's not fucking Electron garbage
>>
>>101354728
im happy with nova thanks though
>>
>>101357722
>It's not fucking Electron garbage
Same devs who made Electron so it's probably just as bad in other ways.
>>
>>101357810
What kind of a retarded argument is that? Electorn couldn't ever be good because it runs on node. Zed is written in Rust so it's an actually native application.
>>
I think it looks really bad
>>
>>101354728
Neovim or KYS
>>
>>101355835
>>We're hiring!
In this economy?!
>>
>>101358202
>neovagina or KYS
lol ironic
>>
Can I compile it on OpenBSD?
>>
>>101354824
>real-time multiplayer editing
vscode has that
>not lagging when files have more than 10 lines of code
not a issue that vscode has
>>
its fast but unfortunately it doesn't support advanced keybinds like chords and stuff. I use nvim and vscode with very similar keybinds and it just doesn't work in zed yet. Once thats there i'll probably switch
>>
>>101356280
How do you make neovim go vroom vroom? Any time I start to add a non trivial config with some packages it shits the bed and becomes as slow if not slower than Visual Studio code.
>>
>>101357567
>non vim motions
>kakuone style notions
Yuck. Call me when it has first class vim motion support
>>
>>101354790
It's faster and more responsive. It's also not a MS product.
The issue though is that it's not very customizable and doesn't support any form of extensions yet. For me the lack locally hosted AI support and markdown previewer, either natively or through extensions, are the only things preventing me from fully switching.
>>
>>101360696
>the lack locally hosted AI support

> needs AI to program
the pajeets are back
>>
>>101354728
Crashed my display driver last time I tried it (something to do with nvidia+nixos?) so I don't feel like trying it again.
Last I looked they don't support SSH which is how I mainly work either way so not interested.
>>
File: 1623354806783.png (24 KB, 199x227)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>101354824
Novelty feature no one asked for.
>not taking 10 seconds to start up
How long does it take then? I'm getting ready to laugh, if the answer isn't suffixed with "ms".
Wow, sounds revolutionary.
>not bundling an outdated google chrome and node.js just to render text
A very high bar to reach.
>>
>>101360412
Go take a look at the vim and neovim codebases. There's your answer. The latter only pays lip service to overhauling that steaming pile of trash tier code. Even Bram admitted the code quality was awful.
>>
>>101354824
it lichrally bundles google chrome to run webassembly for extensions
>>
>>101354728
Why would I use Zed when I have sublime? I keep seeing shilling for this and it looks
idk
kinda gay?
>>
>>101359945
What about the fact it's millions of lines of garbage code that you're dependant on someone else maintaining/securing/etc. There's no need for an editor to be even 1 million lines, let alone multiple millions. There's no need for an editor to use multi-million LOC dependencies either, except for the OS itself. Trash tier engineering at its worst.
>>
>>101354728
cool. I just launched it and lem still launches faster, while being fully customizable and written in a better language (lisp). when zed's extension API matures I'll check it out again.
>>
>>101357931
>What kind of a retarded argument is that?
A solid one. People who produce junk tend to continue to do so.
>Electorn couldn't ever be good because it runs on node. Zed is written in Rust so it's an actually native application.
Rust is dead on arrival. It has no future. Nor does Zed though, so they're a perfect match.
>>
>>101361552
>better language (lisp)
Least delusional, battered wife syndrome-having lispfag.
>>
>>101354728
zero extensions? That sucks even lite-xl has default highlight files for most languages. Helix detects your system languages+lsp automatically and sets everything up.
>>
>>101354728
>no windows binary
take your shitty fosstroon sublime text clone and shove it up your ass pajeet
>>
File: 1720676799072.png (428 KB, 807x605)
428 KB
428 KB PNG
>>101354728
>AND THEN THEY SAID
>NO EXTENSIONS
Holy fuck, just use nano if you want a fast editor that does the bare minimum.
>>
>>101361569
Performance seems pretty similar. I'll take an infinitely extensible editor like Emacs or Lem with on-the-fly function recompilation over this limited Rust piece of shit, especially when it literally starts faster which is one of the selling points on their website. Input latency also seems about the same (with lem, Emacs can def be worse depending on lsp implementation). If I don't give a shit about "multiplayer editing", why the fuck would I use this? (also both Emacs and lem support this feature anyways)
>>
>>101361767
Damn, that's crazy.
You may now promptly proceed to your lisp circlejerk general.
>>
>>101361782
ok hard mode: why not use helix then? also written in trannylang, has some prospect of extensibility, starts up faster, much better fuzzy finding, and modal-first keybinds instead of the shitty tacked-on vim mode that'll have you using the gui at some point anyways.
>le multiplayer editing
really?
>>
File: 1000130024.jpg (82 KB, 900x900)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>101361817
this project is probably gonna end up just like their previous one (atom): abandoned
there's simply no usecase
multiplayer? boomer/corpo friendly? use VSCode
shell/vim autist? neovim/helix
extensibility/language autist? Emacs/lem
>>
>>101361817
>lispfag is severely autistic and dense as a rock
Figures. I'll help you out: I gave you social clue showing that I'm not interested in reading or responding to your drivel in earnest.
>>
>>101354824
>>101357722
>we're REAL programmers, we don't rely on faggy scripting languages or we shit frameworks
>we do EVERYTHING in a system language
>woaw why is development so slow
>woaw why can't we have plugins support
Minimalists brainlets BTFO once again
>>
>>101361852
I'm not even a lispfag, I started learning lisp like 3 weeks ago. Rust/troonlang is what I've been using for the last 2 years.
>>
>>101361733
is nano written in rust? Does it require vulkan support on your gpu? Does it have website targeted at tech enthusiasts who like shiny new stuff? Does it have multiplayer support? Is it written in Rust?
I guessed so.
>>
>>101361860
>rust
>minimalist
I think you're using the wrong word anon
>>
>>101354728
>vim but make it niggerlicious
>oh and also add ai because you gotta have ai in $CURRENT_YEAR
No thanks lol
>>
>>101355606
NTA but what the hell is it with people's fascination of rust? that language was dug out of a dumpster, why are people using it?
>>
>>101355798
>>101356339
>>101356547
Based

>>101354728
It's on nixos for few weeks now
>>
>>101361866
No. There's a very thin line between "rewrite it in Rust" faggots and "hurr durr muh suckless" idiots.
An obsession with system langs, and with the purity of implementation over getting shit done.
>b...but they have differences
So do tankies and anarchists. Everything looks different when you're in a fringe group, but from the outside it's virtually the same.
>>
>>101361945
then you should've used a different adjective. something like Go or lisp is more pure/minimalistic than rust or c++.
>>
>>101361877
It's some kind of corporate psyop to push programmers into the arms of communism so they'll try to destroy the corporations, just as planned
>>
>>101361918
yes but that was a preview build before.
Archlinux too.
>>
>>101354728
fotm faggot
>>
>>101362470
Fake and Gay
>>
>>101361972
>it wasn't REAL minimalism
Shut the fuck up troon
>>
>>101354790
Multiplayer editing
>>
>>101362010
Go back to x/
>>
>>101354824
VS Code extension.
>not taking 10 seconds to start up
Not on my machine, and I work on a 4 GB RAM StinkPad.
Who cares
>>
>>101354728
Or just use emacs
>>
>>101354728
Nigger
>>
>Windows
>Not yet available
Just like I thought - troonware
>>
>>101363147
I don’t like playing text based adventure games when writing code.
>>
File: IMG_0353.jpg (3 KB, 110x101)
3 KB
3 KB JPG
>puente gets filtered
Hella based if you ask me
>>
>>101354728
i was a sublime user but i downloaded this and it made me so mad i switched to vs code
>>
>>101361568
>Rust is dead on arrival. It has no future. Nor does Zed though, so they're a perfect match.
I don't give a shit if they're dead. They are non managed native languages and hence will always perform better than nodejs code unless the developer actually tries to make the code slower than nodejs code
>>
File: bootstraprust.png (8 KB, 857x113)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>101361877
Think about how easy it is to create/bootstrap a C compiler and then look into how ridiculously complicated it is to bootstrap Rust. Regardless of your views on the language, Rust code removes freedoms by creating a reliance on the Rust compiler
>>
>>101356351
software rendering is slow. thats the reason. its funny how retards like you keep questioning shit because they are too dumb and probably gay to understand why certain decision are made. why are you a faggot du hurensohn
>>
why g always hate everything new?
I think this is nice alternative to vscode
>>
>>101354728
flatpak status?
>>
>>101363830
wtf? my rust install is only 3gb. even the build directory for the servo browser is only 5gb, which is a lot, but its no where near 120gb. what are they doing to get such a huge number?
>>
>>101363900
To bootstrap, you have to build each compiler version... one by one starting from an old version with a different compiler (mrustc iirc)
They break things on each version change
Here's an old post from a Guix dev https://guix.gnu.org/tr/blog/2018/bootstrapping-rust/
>>
>>101354728
zed is the only software that completely froze my mac in the past 10 years or so. all i was doing is just previewing different color schemes from the menu and it used all fucking ram and started swapping like crazy, realised it too late (32gb m1 pro btw). ill stick to neovim, thanks.
>>
>>101363942
ah i didnt read the context. thats pretty interesting actually. you still need gcc to start it off. i wonder if its even possible to bootstrap a c compiler in the same way? apparently the "portable c compiler" in 1973 was originally written in b
>>
>>101363998
For all the safety Rust provides, the compiler is a binary blob that will not and probably cannot be audited. It's a nightmare to bootstrap and they obviously have no intentions of making it easier.
https://users.rust-lang.org/t/build-from-actual-source/84277/11
Don't worry tho, all those friendly corpos have you covered :)
>>
>>101364066
> GCC is a key component of the GNU toolchain which is used for most projects related to GNU and the Linux kernel. With roughly 15 million lines of code in 2019
its just the nature of modern computing. i also have to trust my operating system and my processor, which i dont. im more concerned about common exploits like buffer overflow which random script kiddies can use against me, rust is currently the best answer to that problem
>>
>>101364066
>binary blob
Buttery butter.
>they obviously have no intentions of making it easier
Because literally (LITERALLY) nobody gives a shit about that save a few paranoid schizophrenics like yourself.
>>
>>101363891
Contrarianism
>>
>>101364115
>its just the nature of modern computing
No, it's not. C compilers can keep each other honest and they are some of they easiest to write. The Rust compiler is built using a hidden binary and trying to reproduce that is extremely difficult and they are clearly not interested in improving the situation. Rust code is generally barred behind the official compiler unless you want to spend hours trying to bootstrap

>>101364162
Triggered that Rust is obviously flawed in its "security" and they obviously don't care?
>>
>>101354728
>rust
>ai
>muh gpu rendered text
ISHYGDDT
>>
>>101364205
>C compilers can keep each other honest and they are some of they easiest to write
this isnt true in practice. gcc and clang generate radically different code when optimizations are enabled
> Rust compiler is built using a hidden binary
but you just proved it can be boostrapped from source with 120gb. thats honestly not that bad
-
i think you're arguing for the sake of arguing. we're trying to improve the situation of modern software. do you have any better ideas?
>>
>>101364237
chromium and vscode by extension use vulkan
>>
>>101364205
>Triggered
?
Just telling your self-important schizo ass how it really is. Can it be bootstrapped? Yes, it can, and that's all that matters.
>b-but it's so haaaaard and takes so much spaaaace :'((
Nobody gives a shit. Regular user won't be bootstrapping a compiler for it to matter.
>>
>>101364253
>this isnt true in practice. gcc and clang generate radically different code when optimizations are enabled
What does this have to do with anything?
>thats honestly not that bad
Okay now, go do it and tell everyone how many hours it took
>i think you're arguing for the sake of arguing. we're trying to improve the situation of modern software. do you have any better ideas?
>we
You're not doing shit except shilling for your memelang and pretending there is no issue with it instead of being honest and telling your devs to fix their shit

>>101364265
Read the forum thread, retard

Anyone looking from outside can see this attitude is inherently dishonest. So much for "safety" when they stand in the way of the most important large scale form of safety: auditing.
>>
>>101354728
>downloads a binary behind your back from god knows where
nothin personel, kid

I will NOT use anything that has it's own package management. I will ONLY download packages through my package manager. No pip. No npm. No elpa. No cargo. No whatever the fuck neovim uses. NOTHING.
>>
>>101364297
>Anyone looking from outside can see this attitude is inherently dishonest
"Anyone" meaning you and your schizoid echo chamber? Looks like they're being realistic to me.
I understand that as an average /g/tard that has words like "memelang" in their vocabulary, you're 100% guaranteed to be an idealistic autist, plus probably undergrad, or even underage, but you should try and think from a pragmatist perspective for once.
>>
>>101364297
>pretending there is no issue with it
no, i pointed out that the same issue exists in other platforms too
the goal is incremental safety. you're letting perfect be the enemy of better
btw i appreciate you and your concern about safety and auditability. i hope someday, with other projects like gccrs or ferrocite, we can satisfy you on these issues
>>
>written in r*st
>>
>>101354824
Ah, so nothing that doesn't only exist in your head. I feel kinda shitty for using VSCodium on a minimalist Linux distro, but at least I will never be (You).
>>
>>101364375
>No, Rust shills are the sane ones
lmao

>>101364380
>no, i pointed out that the same issue exists in other platforms too
But GCC and Clang are perfectly normal to bootstrap (although might take a while because of C++) and people do it all the time - it's expected. Rust shills are pretending it's some terribly unnecessary thing that we can just leave to them. It completely discredits safety claims because they're reliant on trusting someone else's binaries
If they were actually serious about it, there would be efforts to make it easier to bootstrap like GCC and Clang
>i hope someday, with other projects like gccrs or ferrocite, we can satisfy you on these issues
Maybe, but I haven't seen anything come from the other implementations and I don't feel like a language advertised as "safe" should take the side of "leave it to someone else to fix"

It's always the memelangs that have shills refusing to admit obvious issues. Imagine if they spent their time telling their devs to get their shit together rather than pretending it's ok
>>
>>101364608
Man, wasn't getting blown the fuck out the previous time enough? I'm still waiting for your code snippets, by the way.
For everyone who think this schizo is correct, he forgot to mention on tiny little thing: you can compile the latest version of Rust without touching any previous versions.
https://rustc-dev-guide.rust-lang.org/building/how-to-build-and-run.html
tl;dr: you need the latest version of Rust to compile Rust.
Don't trust Rust? Try out one of the many alternatives, like this Rust bootstrapper written in C.
>>
>>101364804
>Guys just used last week's binary blob to compile the one for this week!
Are you purposely beng dumb?
>>
>>101354728
>from the creators of atom
lol hard pass
>>
>>101364878
Are you? Read the second half of my post again.
>>
>>101364915
Why don't you actually learn something about bootstrapping and auditing before posting, anon?
When someone wants to audit your software, are you going to send them a binary blob of the previous version to run the current one?
>>
>>101354728
this editor is defenitely gonna suck ass on Windows.
Whenever you are doing a cross-platform software, you must first get the windows build done and only then you'll know for certain where to exactly draw limitations for your software functionality.
If you start with unix-like then the chances of you finding yourself in a scenario where a feature is not available or poorly supported on Windows is very high.
Also, why tf does a text editor need 4GB ram and several GB more disk space just to build it??
Its a focking text editor, eh? Rust folks are not at all bothered by this but this is by no means alright.
I still don't understand why tf they are boasting about high fps when its just a focking text editor. Its not a video game. They should be making a retained mode text editor if they want to create an actually good, fast and light text editor. I guess this is what happens when web devs try to make software without using their "electron" web tools. I see a lot of things wrong here but the fact that this is getting hyped clearly shows the sorrow state of our current software world.
>>
>>101354790
Less features and less memory hogging.
>>
>>101364162
>Because literally (LITERALLY) nobody gives a shit about that save a few paranoid schizophrenics like yourself.
as a non-schizo, I do, but the way guix bootstraps Rust is perfectly ok with me. It's doable as guix proves so arguing about bootstrapping like it needs to be convenient or fast is, imo, mental retardation. It's a process you do once and then shuffle around with binaries.
>>
>>101364066
You can compile it to wasm.
Then build a wasm runtime that only implements the minimum it needs for compiling itself and is easily auditable. In another language of course.
Then compile it.
>>
no thanks. neovim btw
>>
>>101363899
unpacked...
>>
>>101364936
This is the second time you've ignored the fact that there are multiple ways to bootstrap Rust if you don't trust using a Rust binary blob.
You can even build your own bootstrap solution if you're schizphrenic enough to believe that every single bootstrap had been compromised.
>>
>>101354728
>released exclusively for macOS originally
I already know it's complete garbage that looks 'nice'
>>
>>101354790
It has less features and crashes from time to time.
>>101354824
It's very obvious you have never used vscode. At least not in the last 5 years.
>>
>>101366394
looks like it DL's a bunch of random binaries so ya. if you want a "modern" editor, just use Helix.
>>
>>101354728
I just installed.
I will give it a 4/10 it's fast but can do almost nothing.
>>
>>101360425
No one cares, vim faggot.
T. Long term vim user.

It's very close and is objectively superior anyway.
>>
>>101356357
>Is WSL2 with nvim/lazyvim worth it?
no, use it on msys2 instead
>>
File: cacochan.png (47 KB, 288x168)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>101354728
no
>>
>>101368169
why? wsl2 is probably going to be faster in practice since it's actually Linux and not some bastardized shim over MSVCRT + all the bullshit baggage that Win32 cucks you with.
>>
>>101367981
>it's fast but can do almost nothing
so just use nano/micro instead? got it
>>
>>101354728
I'll try it, I got a breaking bug in clion months ago and it's still not fixed, gotta find something new before I get billed for next year
>>
>>101354728
Don't give a shit
>>
>>101354728
>Just download our installer from the internet and feed it to sudo bash
>Trust us, you fucks
lmassofff
>>
>>101372072
>installer, raw executable, run as admin: :)
>installer, bash script, run as admin: >:(
why are midwits like this?
>>
>>101372200
>installer downloads random binaries from the internet without user knowing :D
>>101357716
>>
>>101372240
>without the user knowing
again: why are midwits like this?
>>
I can't believe how many nu/g/ users are defending a fucking Electron app. Yes, please use 3gb of RAM to render a config file and run a bad terminal emulator. Must be Indians.

>>101354728
Gonna try it for a few personal projects. It's gonna be faster than sublime, but till they have real plugin support it's gonna be rough. Unfortunately I can't use it for work till they shit out a windows binary.
>>
>>101372072
It's on the AUR as well...
>>
>>101372284
you mentally ill fags will defend anything as long as it's written in rust by some other fag
>>
>>101372284
>no argument
why are retards like this?
checkmate niggy thanks for playing see ya later loser
>>
>>101372327
>I can't believe how many nu/g/ users are defending a fucking Electron app.
Oppositional defiant disorder is their entire personality.
>>
russian propaganda. no, thanks.
slava ukraini
>>
>>101368320
>this image
my enjoy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.