[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/g/ - Technology

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • You may highlight syntax and preserve whitespace by using [code] tags.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

3-Year duration 4chan Passes are now available for $45

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Windows 11 Fresh Install.png (1.65 MB, 1378x924)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB PNG
The Start Menu used to be beautiful. it's now cluttered to fuck.

I just helped my mother set up her new work laptop. It's the first time that I've had a serious sit down with Windows 11. Is it just me, or is it overwhelming? I'm sure that 10 didn't have this much spam on the Taskbar:
>Weather/News in the far left.
>Start Menu icon that is neither in any corner nor dead centre.
>Very wide search menu in the centre.
>Several icons for applications on the taskbar
>Copilot on the far right. I think the notifications are to the left of it.
>System icons and the clock just to the left of Copilot.
I struggled to find a screenshot that matched the setup on my mother's out-of-the-box machine. Presumably, everyone changes the defaults.

I'm seriously wondering if the Mac users are on to something. Mac has the best defaults out of anyone these days. Either I'm crazy or the out-of-the-box Windows 11 is unbearable.
>>
File: good morning.jpg (70 KB, 468x474)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>What happened to Windows?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (107 KB, 1280x720)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>102157982
>Mac has the best defaults out of anyone these days
I mostly agree. I really liked the "global menu" that moves the application menu to the otherwise empty desktop panel like in picrel. I believe Apple did that first. I set up KDE Plasma to work that way and cleared most of the other clutter where possible and I'm about 75% happy with it. I don't use launch icons and just alt+f2 or mask4 to run programs. I hate GNOME/GTK for somehow being the most featureless and yet most heavyweight desktop in existence and much prefer QT but KDE in general feels so cluttered and claustrophobic sometimes. The dolphin file manager really feels like shit to use for me, it's so messy and chaotic looking it's hard to focus on any one thing even though I do really like the split-pane mode and directory specific display settings. There are too many settings scattered everywhere and too many cryptic icons packed in where they shouldn't be in most QT apps. I have Windows 11 on a desktop and it feels somewhere in between a Mac and KDE. It feels kind of disorganized but not too cluttered or ugly. My main complaint with Windows is the constant advertising and data harvesting on an OS I paid something like 100 USD for. I don't even get ads or telemetry bullshit on completely free Linux, why would it be in a paid OS? That's just unacceptable. I can't use my Windows desktop without feeling like a total bootlicking cuck. The fact I gave in and used Steam was bad enough, but using Steam on Windows 11 is too much, it's impossible to enjoy a game with corporate dicks stuffed in me from both ends.
>Verification not required
>>
>>102158455
>I believe Apple did that first
correct
>>
>>102157982
in terms of defaults, it's been a shitshow since w10 and it got worse in w11.
because ms wants to make money with "additional services".

you can still turn all that garbage off. if you're installing windows often, make a .reg file or something.
>>
>>102158158
Pajeets just follow directions, you have to keep going down the hole
>>
File: 1706745023961257.png (2 KB, 461x583)
2 KB
2 KB PNG
>>102158902
>>
File: glow.jpg (32 KB, 400x400)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>weather enabled by default
yeah just leak my location on startup senpai
>>
>>102158669
How much worse is 11 than 10?
>>
>>102158940
You guys are going to break me
>>
>>102159331
the taskbar is fatter, it takes up more space.
the whole gui is a little bit slower/laggier.
the start menu is more dumbed down.
>>
>>102159905
Dumbed down? It's thrice as complex!
>>
>>102159562
You're already broken. You cannot unsee. You are illegal.
>>
>>102157982
>Very wide search menu in the centre.
Windows Search has always been terrible and useless. Now it's more useless since it includes web results and promoted links along with local results, when most people are just looking for local files. I just use a 3rd party app to search for my files, which somehow Windows cannot do even in 2024.
>>
>>102159331
Much worse, in almost every way. I've tried it a couple of times but went back to W10.
>>
>>102160044
What do you mean? You can do it in 10. Just disable a load of shit through the normal GUI.
>>
>>102160182
ew
>>
>>102160145
You can disable the web/promo links but the basic Windows local search does not work well, and is still slow.
>>
>>102157982
>The Start Menu used to be beautiful.
It's a filled rectangle not a supermodel
>>
>>102160403
You're on /g/.
>>
>>102158455
I've seen people talking about it in a couple of threads lately but KDE really needs to focus more on global menu support. Especially since Unity has been discontinued and Asahi is opening more Mac users to Linux.
>>
>>102160182
Not bad.
>>
>>102160044
Works on my machine

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.