[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: 1465993962796.jpg (125 KB, 1680x946)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Why does almost everyone at Google have Macs? Why does everyone at Facebook use Macs?

Does it have something to do with programming environment? Operating system? What's the reason?

Pic related... average office at Google.
>>
>>59499991
Because they just werk and look professional
>>
File: 1471926711707.jpg (69 KB, 2560x1600)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>59500081
this
>>
File: 1460661165642.png (107 KB, 590x180)
107 KB
107 KB PNG
>>59499991
If macshit was good, why does Apple need to pay you streetshitters to constantly shill it?
>>
>>59499991
UNIX-like OS and commercial support. Windows is too casual for software engineers and Linux is a hobbyist OS.
>>
>>59500081
>look professional
Subjective.
When I look at a mac I see an overpriced toy, not a professional work machine.
>>
File: 1488597593652.jpg (136 KB, 500x352)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>59499991
>Does Silicon Valley really run on Macs?
Yes! Pic related. SV's most powerful exec.
>>
File: 1485857667396.png (456 KB, 696x938)
456 KB
456 KB PNG
>>59500100
>deletes all your files
>works

>t. mactoddler
>>
Its probably so they can code easily
>>
>>59500265
this. best HW on the market.
>>
>>59500174

>buttangry pajeet detected

Take your stale meme from 2009 back to your designated street.
>>
File: 1469874059996.jpg (1.94 MB, 1800x4500)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>59500728
>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have <70% aRGB
>gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

http://www.howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving files around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?
>>
>>59500160
>When I look at a mac I see an overpriced toy, not a professional work machine.
Yes, but you're a bigoted fanboi.
Grow up and forget these stupid marketing games.
>>
File: 1482141750388.jpg (62 KB, 1275x920)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>59500801
>butthurt
the post

while you're shitposting, smartest people in the world are using Macs and changing the world we live in. stay loser.
>>
>>59500801
Nice autist meme.
>>
>>59500856
see >>59500151
>>
>>59499991
Laptops yeah. Not the servers where the real work happens. MacOS Server is a shitpile
>>
File: 1476979732807.jpg (62 KB, 640x480)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>59500868
stay mad. stay poor stay stupid.
>>
File: 1488569819635.jpg (50 KB, 433x469)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>59499991
>why do people who develop software for macs need macs, which are the only supported platform for writing mac software
>>
File: 1474554711583.webm (2.83 MB, 1280x720)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
>>59500899
2 rupees have been deposited in your designated shitting street Rajeesh.
>>
File: 1470594347290.jpg (82 KB, 1400x933)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>59500922
funny. pajeets can't afford macs.
>>
File: 20170317_192334.jpg (423 KB, 1500x844)
423 KB
423 KB JPG
>>59500081
Mac: It just works!
>>
>>59500944
Of course you can't. That's why you're working for Apple for 2 rupees a post while using GOOGLE to search for pictures of anyone with even the tiniest bit of fame using an Apple product to shill online with.
>>
>>59499991

Hey asshole, you can install almost any OS you want on Mac hardware.
>>
>>59500081
If macshit just works, why does apple have a support section with millions of people complaining about malfunctioning appleshit all day?

Checkmate mactoddlers.
>>
File: 1474233061518.jpg (176 KB, 840x485)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
Facebook has vending machines with free Apple keyboards, mice etc for their employees... crazy cool.

http://fortune.com/2011/07/06/facebooks-vending-machines-a-coke-or-a-keyboard/
>>
File: 1459285094139.jpg (83 KB, 766x511)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
Macs discovered Higgs Boson. What has PC done? Other than wasted millions of hours of life of kids playing vidya games.. kek
>>
>>59500997
Winvirgin detected
>>
File: 20130412_115456.jpg (2.04 MB, 3264x2448)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
>>59501036
It just works!
>>
>>59501091
>more jealous poorfag meme shit

I feel bad for you, kid.
>>
File: osx_first_aid.jpg (1.26 MB, 3264x2448)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>59501117
But I took that picture myself, because when you actually use one of those things you realize its no different than anything else
>>
File: 1468913963784.jpg (128 KB, 640x510)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>>59501014
PC helped astronauts study space. What has mac done? Other than used by millions of fags update facebook... kek
>>
>>59501148
>hurr durr I'm a retard who doesn't understand how to use a computer without fucking shit up

Blame yourself, retard.
>>
>>59500789
>calls microfags pajeet shills
>apple has 70% its engineers as pajeets
>>
File: 1472157813239.jpg (72 KB, 300x468)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>59501246
Mactoddlerism is a mental disability.
>>
File: osx_something_happened.png (656 KB, 999x542)
656 KB
656 KB PNG
>>59501246
So it doesn't 'just work', it fucks up just like anything else? Thanks for confirming it.
>>
>>59501278
Its ok when apple does it
>>
>>59501308
>I can't even read
You should really kill yourself
>>
>>59501294
>Mactoddlerism
EBIN XDDDD
>>
>>59501342
Right, it doesn't 'just work'.

Thanks kiddo
>>
>>59499991

Yes, has to do with the culture. Anything you need to run in Windows, just use boot camp.
>>
>>59501361
>t. mactoddler
>>
>>59501366
boot camp is literal garbage. you should have said the things you need to run in windows you use a vm
>>
Macs don't go wrong often but when they do, you're utterly fucked.

Windows is designed on the basis it will shit the bed regularly and needs to recover from it (this can be politely explained by the variety of devices and hardware it needs to run on but we know the truth).

Pick a philosophy, neither is good tbqh.
>>
>>59501361
Making out that Mac users have the argumentative skills of a 10yo will get you removed from the program and your last paycheck annulled.
>>
>>59499991
If you joined a company where everyone used Macs, and you could get any laptop you wanted without paying for it, wouldn't you pick a rMBP?
>>
>>59501396

If you're writing code and Windows crashes, close the window and restart. What's why Silicon Valley codes on Macs.
>>
>>59501427
that doesnt even make sense
>>
>>59501435

and that's why you're not living here writing code at 2:00 AM and paying $3100 a month for a 700 square foot apartment.
>>
>>59501410
Yes, he would. Anyone with half a brain would. Only retarded poorfags teeming with jealousy will say no.
>>
>>59501483
touche. and once i posted that it did actually make sense, but that is why i am in security and not development
>>
>>59501488
1488 checked

Truth.
>>
>>59501488
CheKKKed

heil
>>
>>59501509

If you can put together a proposal that proves to IT it's easier to deploy and accounting that it's cheaper, they might change it. Until then, have to go with whatever SOP is.
>>
File: Apple Execs.jpg (60 KB, 1260x167)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>59501241

>What has mac done? Other than used by millions of fags update facebook... kek

Literal Indian sentence structure.

>>59501278

Apple is the only tech company with no pajeet department heads. Not a single pajeet in sight.

Why is there so much cancer on this board whenever Apple is mentioned? Are poor people always this angry?
>>
File: 1486023310382.png (1.06 MB, 695x1614)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB PNG
>>59501689
Apple was literally founded by a street shitter.
>>
>>59501689
>Apple is the only tech company with no pajeet department heads. Not a single pajeet in sight.
>only the heads count
t. applefag
>>
>>59501241
Fuck off poojeet
>>
>>59501709

Does it hurt when you insult your own race to try being edgy? I know Indians are the most self loathing people but, come on.
>>
>>59501709
MACTODDLERS

ETERNALLY

BLOWN

THE

FUCK

OUT
>>
>>59500848
Meanwhile you're a bigoted retard that can't ignore marketing either.
>>
>>59499991
Because it runs most real world software while also giving you UNIX when you drop to a terminal.

However, this is not for much longer. After a decade of neglect compared to their iDevices, Macs have basically turned into status symbols for people with more money than sense. They're still (unfortunately) the best at doing the whole "UNIX + Real world software" thing, but Windows Subsystem for Linux is well on its way to putting an end to that.

Desktop Linux, of course, will continue its long unabated period of irrelevancy, only useful for those people whose narrow needs are perfectly encapsulated by the capabilities of Desktop Linux, which is vanishingly few.
>>
Because Macs have reasonable build quality and are physically low weight and portable. A wealthy businessman/company exec likely writes next to no code and does little power-heavy media consumption, has no free time to tinker with Linux to get it to work the way they want it, and doesn't want to deal with issues in Windows. "It just werks" may be a meme but it also holds quite a bit of truth to someone with absolutely zero free time, fucktons of money, no use for powerful hardware, and a need for a full-size keyboard and reasonable screen. I'd never use a mac in my life because none of those hold true for me and likely never will, but they're pretty useful to that particular subset of people. For the average user, buying a mac because famous people use it is like a medieval warrior wearing a lion's pelt into battle believing he'll be as strong and fast as the lion was.
>>
>>59501744
>the most real world software
lol what the fuck does this even mean?
>muh unix
any fucking computer can have a unix terminal literally who fucking cares.

>macs have basically turned into ifashion statements

where the fuck were you the last 10 fucking years?
>>
File: 1469387921720.jpg (495 KB, 1200x1020)
495 KB
495 KB JPG
>>59501750
>reasonable build quality
>>
>>59501001
Why not just have someone hand those to people or have a storage room with them that requires badge access? Wouldnt be gay enough?
>>
>>59501719

>>only the heads count

Yeah. That's right. Do you know how a company works Rakesh? Heads dictate direction and give orders to the workers. The people working in the lab crunching numbers are meaningless, nobody cares who they are because they're easily exchanged pieces who can do little damage. A CEO making a bad decision is an order of magnitude worse. Look at Google and Microsoft, they're fucking run by Indians at the CEO level. Fuck off retard.
>>
>>59501769
>thats right
says you.
>>
>>59499999
NONE OF YOU COCKSUCKERS LOOKED TO SEE WHO GOT IT!
>>
>>59501762
>muh anecdotes
You're retarded
>>
>>59501778

Well, yes. I'm saying it. You're literally a fucking disgusting Indian, aren't you? Just admit it. You're all so shit at insults and comebacks. I've seen you before, you're literally brown. You posted some webms on this board bending the bottom of a MacBook Air then pointing out its inferior to a ThinkPad's carbon fiber reinforced body.

I have seen you, you disgusting subhuman. You also live with your parents. Underage loser.
>>
>>59501837
>I'm saying it you indian
good thing shitters like you don't matter
>>
>>59501762
Thinkpads are also large, heavy and blocky, and I have one for daily use that's fucking survived a car crash, but those three factors alone are enough to turn someone like a Google employee off from one. Battery failures of that magnitude are a serious concern for a regular user and are one of many reasons I wouldn't even consider getting a mac, sure, but a high-ranking silicon valley employee/exec has neither time to research these kinds of fringe cases nor the carry weight to sacrifice for reliability. If the mac explodes, they just buy a new one. It's that simple for them.
>>
>>59501764
because that requires extra people and they rather hire programmers than paper pushers.

they also trust their workforce.
>>
reading on my 2008 macbook that, "just works"
>>
>>59501837
>so mad he can't retort so he spews a bunch of hindi nonsense
>>
>>59500801
Who hurt you anon
>>
>>59500801
THIS!!
>>
>>59501758
> lol what the fuck does this even mean?
Once you figure out why Desktop Linux has less marketshare than a 16 year old version of Windows, enlightenment will follow.

>any fucking computer can have a unix terminal literally who fucking cares.
macOS was POSIX first, with Cocoa adding additional features on top. Windows was Win32 first, with POSIX stuff hastily bolted on and basically existing in its own universe. WSL's long term goal is to smooth over the integration between the two worlds, and once that happens, macOS will become yesterdays news.
>>
>>59501887
>reading on my 2008 macbook that, is completely unsupported by Applel now

Have fun with your planned obsolescence bullshit
>>
>>59501750
>concern trolling

lel, is this a thing now?
>>
>>59501951
>its so unpopular because it has the best software

>Muh POSIX
dude no one has given a fuck about POSIX compliance in 25 fucking years. No one relevant still relies on POSIX shit
>>
File: 1456606404919.jpg (62 KB, 690x460)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>59501837
>redditor trying to call people Indian as an insult after losing an argument.
out, out, out
>>
>>59501397
>Macs don't go wrong often but when they do, you're utterly fucked.
I dunno, on the uncommon occasions I've had things go wrong with my Macs, I was no more fucked than when I've had Windows or Linux go wrong on me.
>>
>>59501882
Then there's no reason to have it to begin with. Hence the second part of my very short post. Put it in a storage closet and fuck off.
>>
>>59501971
>Didn't call anyone a faggot in my post
>"Wow look at him he's concern trolling guise"
>>
>>59502004
it does because visitors won't be able to just steal shit.
>>
>>59501912
> over 8 years old
> still runs fine
> cheaper than a chromebook
> great battery life
> from best apple design era
> nice tactile keys
> spacious multitouch trackpad with real button
> only 2gb ram, and 144mb graphics memory.
>>
>>59501975
>dude no one has given a fuck about POSIX compliance in 25 fucking years. No one relevant still relies on POSIX shit
You're stumbling past the point. macOS is essentially a nice graphical interface on top of UNIX underpinnings. Windows underpinnings are unique to itself, and despite the fact that you can technically get *NIX software working on it, via Interix (the Windows POSIX system I was referring to, which you probably didn't know existed before I mentioned it just now), Cygwin, or whatever else, it's a pain in the dick because the *NIX and Win32 worlds mix like oil and water.

If WSL manages to smooth over those problematic points, then you're going to start seeing developers who use macOS switch to Windows.
>>
>>59499991
Dennis Ritchie and all the other Bell Labs lads all run MacOs.
>>
>>59502142
I replied to the wrong reply.
/me
>>
File: 1468797543660.png (336 KB, 800x384)
336 KB
336 KB PNG
>All of (((them))) seem to use apple products
>besides hillary
>>
>>59501709
>that bottom part
sweet jesus

Life as a nigger farming beans in central africa can't be easy but at least you get a comfy farm life with lots of sun and a clay hut with a rudimentary outhouse before you die at the ripe old age of 35 in the prime of your life.

Sounds like a pretty good deal compared to being a pajeet living on a noisy street in Bombay with 8,000 other Pajeets rubbing against you and half the street being covered in shit while you occasionally """bathe""" yourself in the most disgusting water known to mankind that's literally filled to the brim with trash.
>>
Because yuppies buy expensive things that look cool to impress other yuppies. There is really no operational advantage.
>>
>>59500951
>>59500997
Something goes wrong with your macbook:
Walk into any apple store and get it repaired/replaced.

Something goes wrong with your laptop with self install of gentoo:
"Sorry, your warranty is void."

Mac. It just werks.
>>
File: 1489787049376.png (24 KB, 326x244)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>59499991
its for the same reason schools do,
apple offers discounts for business so its cheaper/easier to buy 500+ Macs than it is a bunch of pcs.
>>
>>59500153
>Windows is too casual
What
>>
>>59502268
Shouldn't that be illegal under dumping laws?
>>
I'm a SAP developer and use a Windows only development system, I make easily the double of an meme FB or APPL engineer in a similar position... Fight me.

>>59500153
>>
>>59502136
You're a cunt.
>>
>>59501091
would help if you put a hard drive in that thing.
and that's the high res non gloss display on the 17" so yes you can remove the HD on it
>>
File: 1483519852566.jpg (59 KB, 810x780)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>59502311
>You're a cunt.
I see you're angry because you ran out of arguments and now you have to resort to name calling because you feel beaten.
Hope you feel better.
>>
>>59499991
>Webdevs and advertisers playing with their expensive toys.
How is this not surprising? I will never understand why people think Silicon Valley is the haven of technology, it is pretty much all webdevs and shills.
>>
>>59502303
>I'm a SAP developer
My condolences
>>
>>59502311
>the i just lost a debate with an autist starter pack
>>59502303
This, real jobs still rely on Microsoft for enterprise, from server to clients that is
>>
>>59502328
Nope because I literally said in the first post that the storage closet could have badge access. You failed to read my post twice. You're a retarded cunt.
>>
>>59499991
a quarter of them probably runs plan 9/linux/other bsd
besides the hardware is the best and OS X is a good os
>>
>>59502347
Gives me enough time to shitpost
>>
>>59502350
Because Microsoft has everyone locked into their ecosystem, not because of merit, but because of their monopolistic ecosystem.
Give people a choice and they will never choose windows.
>>
>>59501960
any pc from 2008 would be obsolete by now you fucking retard
>>
>>59502362
Nope. Linux runs like shit on Macs. Other OSes you mentioned cannot be even installed naively.
>>
>>59502257
Wrong!

You forgot about the $250 AppleCare fee.

'Gentoo' laptops (probably came with Windows to begin with) don't come with a warranty. Oh and if you wanted you can take your Gentoo laptop to any Laptop repair shop and get it fixed easily for $50.
>>
>>59502290
to offer bulk buy discounts?

i have no idea honestly
>>
>>59502419
I haven't run any benchmarks, but when I run Linux on my MacBook Air I don't notice any performance problems.
>>
>>59502387

Stallman pls, this is big guys talk.

Microsoft ecosystem is not monopolistic, it's a pretty good integration, you can even include the competitors technology, such as DBs, webservers, mail, calendar, document processing integration, and so on.. Also pretty much any binary your enterprise needs, don't give me a communist esque reason to demerit what a (in my opinion) good and integrated ecosystem can Microsoft be.

But since you only consider one single aspect of a multi tier architecture your argument into the thrash it goes...

I'm not saying Unix is shit, just giving credit as I said before that there's a pretty good integration, I've dealt with mixed ecosystems as a consultant over the years, but trust me that a reliable infrastructure is almost always based in Microsoft, Oracle and Cisco...
>>
>>59502481
G will never acknowledge anything enterprise related, just leave and let this echo chamber be
>>
>>59502481
>pretty good integration
Dynamics and Sharepoint would disagree.
>>
>>59502532
God tier integration in comparison to other ERPs dummy
>>
>>59502545
>GP barely supports AD
You may be right but that shit is not acceptable.
>>
>>59502387
> I have no understanding whatsoever of what an ecosystem is
>>
>>59501876

>>I'm saying it you indian

Where did I say that line verbatim?

>>59501978

>after losing an argument.

What argument?

>>59501912

You understood what I said, pajeet. You're a brown subhuman and you need to go back to DesignatedChan.
>>
>>59500151
Because pissy NEETS have nothing better to do than shitpost about how shitty anything they can't afford is and people get tired of it?
>>
>>59502475
No drivers. Especially for newer MBPs.
>>
>>59502799
Eh, that'll just be a matter of time for drivers to appear in Linux. Less new machines, such as mine, work fine.
>>
>>59502879
>just a matter of time
just like with everything else linux related!
>>
>>59502879
I've been waiting for 3 years for my generic BT driver to work with Linux. And I'm not even using Apple laptops which use custom/non-cheap BT silicon.
>>
>>59502419
if it runs like shit why does the creator use it
>>
>>59501709
i thank god every day i wasn't born in india
>>
>>59502953
dunno.

last time I saw some rant from Linus, he was bitching about PC laptops having shit screens and he wanted them to be Macs. kek.
>>
>>59502303
>Windows only development system

I HAVE HAD TO USE THIS FOR THE LAST WEEK AND IT IS DRIVING ME

INSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>59499991

Because Macs have massive battery life.
8 hours (with Wifi enabled). Everybody love that battery life.

>Does it have something to do with programming environment?

Mac OS dont support the most popular programming languages outside of Swift, but you can fix installing a pirated copy of W10
>>
>>59503492

what kind of aspergers do you have where visual studio drives you insane?

visual studio is baby's first IDE, and is superior to pretty much every alternative IDE for writing C++ and .NET languages.

kind of a shame that cl.exe itself blows chunks, but you can't have it all I suppose
>>
>>59503579
>8 hours (with Wifi enabled). Everybody love that battery life.

this assumes you only use Apple software and maybe some terminal stuff
>>
>>59503579
>Mac OS dont support the most popular programming languages outside of Swift, but you can fix installing a pirated copy of W10
kek
>>
>>59503579
> Mac OS dont support the most popular programming languages outside of Swift
ITT: People talking about things they don't know about.
>>
File: crying.jpg (68 KB, 700x700)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>tfw BSD user and you realize os x ripped off BSD and mac users get all the best pussy while BSD users get pussy linux users get
>>
>>59503492
I develop using netweaver object browser...
>>
>>59499991
Because Windows is becoming ad-laden and more of a consumer-oriented pile than even Apple stuff. Linux, while nice in many ways, still has piles of dumb little annoyances that get in the way and doesn't play nice with brand new laptops (gotta be a generation or two behind for good hardware support).

That leaves Macs. They've got their share of issues too, but in this particular case it's the least awful solution.

If anybody who contributes to a Linux distro is reading, read this: with Apple's recent string of fuckups, many Mac users are begging for a good alternative. Tighten up the ship known as Desktop Linux and fix the annoyances associated with it and you'll have lots of people switching. Until then, though, Windows is probably the next most appealing option and that's where most will jump ship to.
>>
>>59503838
Mac saved BSD you fool.
>>
pretty sad this is even a thread on /g/.

i feel more and mote over time that people who know what they are doing dont post here
>>
>>59503579
>>Mac OS dont support the most popular programming languages outside of Swift, but you can fix installing a pirated copy of W10
That's some of the steamiest shit I've seen in a while. macOS comes with Ruby, Python, Perl, Tcl/Tk among others ready to use right out of the box, and running
xcode-select --install
will fetch and install the powerful llvm/clang toolset for writing, compiling, and debugging C and C++. vim and emacs come preloaded too, for something a little more suitable for code editing than TextEdit.

That's a far cry from Windows where you have to go full neanderthal and open a browser to download and install these things yourself because all the OS comes preloaded with is trite useless consumer shit.

>>59503580
As someone who got familiarized with IDEs on Jetbrains stuff and Project Builder/Xcode, Visual Studio does indeed seem like an odd beast if it's not what you learned with.
>>
>>59505537
gotcha i'll get to work

90% done "fixing the annoyances" oh boy here we come i'll do the logo
>>
File: xubuntu_privacy.png (1.86 MB, 1600x900)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB PNG
>Google, Facebook invade users' privacy >Google, Facebook use Mac
>Google, Facebook don't value their own privacy
>Don't use Google, Facebook
>Use searx.me however shitty it seems
>Use Twitter over Tor, however shit it seems

Fucking unspecial normies. Install Xubuntu and reward yourself.
>>
>>59501366
This x9000.

Not only people use the same machines, they also use the same IDE with the same default font, and not even use a mouse even when they're sitting at one place most of the day.
>>
>>59500151
Apple fans looks like a cult.
>>
>>59505642
>Visual Studio does indeed seem like an odd beast if it's not what you learned with.

That's true about anything you fucking genius
>>
>>59505897
True, but there are degrees of oddness. For some tools, even though you've never used them and learned <subject> using another tool, you can pick it up and become proficient with it reasonably quickly. For others, it takes a while despite your own familiarity with the subject. For me, VS falls into this space – I'd take a massive productivity hit if I were required to use it and wouldn't get back up to speed for months.
>>
Lots of people use macs because front end developers need to have access to a unix like OS with photoshop.
>>
>linux for server
>pc for gaming
>mac for desktop
>>
If you have to ask you won't get it.
>>
>>59499991
Yes, because Windows is dogshit and Linux has huge problems on the desktop. It's not because OS X is great, it's because the alternatives are so bad.
>>
>>59499991
Well OP, there are people who know what they are doing, and there are people who need something that "just works" -- I bet you can guess which category Mac users fall into.

It is a little scary walking in to a giant room seeing a hundred glowing Apple logos while carrying the only Thinkpad to be found.
>>
>>59506205
>spending time on a hobby at work
>>
>>59502350
>working for walmart microsoft os shit is a real job
>linux os on servers used even in high ranking banks not a real good paying job focus
fucking what
>>
>>59506195
It's really astounding that computers still suck as much as they do

>>59506205
There's also those who know what they're doing but work with computers all day as a full time job and/or got tired of tinkering and just want to use their computers. A certain subset of Mac users is comprised of this type.
>>
>>59506219
I even get paid to do it!
>>
>>59502473
They'd have to offer them at, or less than cost.
>>
>>59499991
OSX sucked way more than those. The most unintuitive piece of shit that i ever use.
>>
They're company laptops. You just throw the cost onto expenses.
>>
>>59499991
They don't want to deal with "well it doesn't work on my machine" and it's not like there are any good Windows laptops
>>
Because Mac is filled with FOSS from Linux users without the hassle of maintaining a Linux system
>>
>>59499991
>average office at Google
We use a house version of Ubuntu LTS, actually.
>>
File: 7b9.jpg (33 KB, 680x453)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>59500167
Moot looks happy these days!
Damn, I miss him :(
>>
>>59502437
>implying any of the silver spoon holier than thou / affirmative action silicon valley fucks have any second thoughts about paying $250 to repair their computer
>>
>>59499991
I found it weird that a huge amount of the physics community and similar use Macs. Apparently it's because they still need Unix-based systems for software compatibility issues with old software (and Linux users' stuff) without wanting to put up with Linux system bullshit, although many of them are happy to take the latter option.
I don't know if anything similar applies to Silicon Valley.
>>
>>59499991
Total amount of testosterone in that room is about the equivalent of one 10 year old boy

Why they use Macs is self-explanatory
>>
Can someone answer me about the windows being unreliable meme? Having used windows for years I've only had the blue screen pop up once when I didn't seat my ram stick all the way after a thorough cleaning. Like who is the brain dead moron who has their computer crashing on a regular basis?
>>
>>59506638
Right. And whenever Google do anything external like Google IO their engineers just turn up with Macbooks to throw us off the trail.
>>
>>59506638
There are far more people using OS X than Goobuntu (which is being deprecated).
>>
>>59506705
That's because you don't use your computer for anything other than facebook and games.
>>
Maybe they're force-fed them by IT?
>>
>>59506706

Macbooks are a good known target for running Linux on as opposed to the general hodge-podge of ching-chong wintel notebooks.
>>
>>59506830
Doesn't answer why normies can't operate windows without it supposedly crashing.
>>
>>59506845
Macshit is know for overheating, throttling and exploding too.
>>
>>59500153

I fell for that meme when Cheetah started shipping, until I realized it was a gimped clusterfuck jammed onto an antique FS which didn't even understand case for filenames.

I quickly nuked it and installed Debian with sheepshaver for OS9. OSX is not Unix.
>>
>>59501014
But the actual grunt work of storing, processing, and aggregating the data at CERN is dones by massive beowulf clusters, not Macbook Pros.

Those are probably just used because they come with BASH and SSH built-in.
>>
Devs get them as cheap handmedowns when the plebs have to throw them in the trash when OSX doesn't support that model any more.
>>
>>59501878
The thinkpads that consultants and business people use aren't the old blocky types that you could beat a man to death with.

They're less than 2.5kg, and they're not very thick either. They still have the clitmouse, a decent keyboard, etc. and basically the only non-mac option currently selling any units.
Check out the T560s. It's made for business consultants.

I don't have anything against macbooks (if they came with more USB-C sluts, I would not mind one desu), but they're far from the only game in town.
>>
>>59502481

Of course it can run other peoples' software.
The issue is that they until recently didn't let you run their software other places. The Microsoft Dream was to have all software come from them in a single tightly integrated stack. Think Mac, but for the Enterprise market.

Now recently, because they want to challenge Oracle, Postgres and other players in the BIG RDBMS market, they're moving SQL-Server to Linux. That will be interesting to see.
>>
>>59502303
>SAP
hahaha how come you're still sane after using that?

>>59499991
hi dpi
color calibrated screens
anti theft (optional)
no retarded drivers 2018 shit because apple
spare parts are available and aftermarket service
office, ps, no antiviruses needed, legit store to keep yourself working for what you need instead of pirating all your needs and procrastinating the whole year.

>>59500151
sounds like good marketing. hate the sjwfag userbase tho
>>
Apple gives them away to trick neckbeards and fags into thinking that they're the platform of choice by SV tech companies.
>>
>>59507174
this.
>>
>>59500922
That looks like it could be a really comfy lan.
>>
>>59502257

Are you retarded? Repairing any laptop is cheaper than repairing Applel shit with soldered everything. Also, installing an OS does not void your warrranty.
>>
>>59507145
>spare parts are available and aftermarket service
dude
>>
>>59501014
I was at CERN seminar where many of them used macs, I asked why macs. because of battery life and being light. that's basically it. all code at CERN is in java, they use intellij idea. they can use whatever the fuck they want, but they just use it purely for being lightweight and long battery life. it works good at various presentations seminars where you need these two things. at home they probably use pc or smth idk




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.