[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [vip] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: thinking.gif (2.39 MB, 460x259)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB GIF
Why would anyone use Windows?
>>
>>61420803
For gaming?
>>
>>61420803
maybe someone likes the good interface, support and the fact that it has a lot of instore apps
>>
Because it's the most productive OS to work on.
>>
>>61420803
Photoshop
>>
Goyming
>>
>>61420837
>t. too poor for a Mac
>>
>>61420825
Hahaha
>>
because they need to work
>>
>>61420824
> instore apps
Every major OS have these.
>>
Why would anyone use anything that has a C in it?
>>
gaming
>>
>>61420803
Software, drivers, stability.
>>
>>61420942
I already get all of this on Arch GNU/Linux.
>>
Commercial support
>>
>>61420987
> stability
> Arch
Can you not touch it for 5 years, get a 5yr uptime and then update it without rebooting or fixing stuff?
>>
>>61420987
No, you don't. You have a glorified web browser that barely works.
>>
>>61421002
>then update it without rebooting
Windows would need to reboot, Arch wouldn't.
>>
>>61421019
> Windows would need to reboot
I wanted to say there are more "stable" distros and Arch isn't one of them. So, what about
> fixing stuff?
>>
>>61421035
They'd make the fixes upstream.
>>
>>61420803
Why would anyone use anything else?

>MacOS: "I only need a Facebook machine"
>Linux: "I only need a Facebook machine and think that making it difficult makes me a computer expert"
>>
File: appelgenius2.jpg (183 KB, 785x757)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>61420837
>>61420863
>spend 4 times as much on a mac
>$1500 PC runs photoshop twice as fast

good goy!

https://petapixel.com/2017/04/08/5660-mac-pro-crushed-photoshop-test-1530-pc-amd-ryzen/
>>
>>61420863
>he likes shitty Apple hardware
>>
>>61420803
It has good software
>>
>>61420803

Because they don't want to use Linux or MacOS?

reallymakesyouthink.jpg
>>
>>61421054
>using a glorified DOS window manager
>>
>>61420912
C is for cuck
>>
>>61421016
t. Never used Arch
>>
>>61420803
muh games
muh adobe suite
>>
>>61420803
Game development practically revolves around Windows.
>>
File: 3dsmax2018-arnold.jpg (1.29 MB, 1920x1080)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>61420803
Autodesk 3ds Max only works on Windows.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/3ds-max/overview
>>
>>61421983
And the only things that comes out of the unreal engine are shitty games.
>>
>>61422018
Are you a Unity fanboy?
>>
>>61422034
It's just a shitposter.
>>
>>61420803
There's this one program i need to use at work (etabs) other than that i use free software whenever i can, all my laptops run a flavor of GNU/linux and even the windows machine i use at work has libreoffice, vlc, inkscape, gimp, firefox and cygwin to run irssi, imagemagick and ssh.
>>
office
>>
>>61422010
I personally prefer Blender, but you're correct.

>Inventor
>revit
>rhino
all of these are basically impossible to use on loonix ganoo
>>
Because I actually have things to do instead of fixing broken shit.
>>
>Why would anyone use Windows?

Because about 95% of the PCs on the planet run it, that's why.

If you want to be different, more power to you, but when you have problems because you chose to run against the crowd or fight the river trying to swim the wrong way, blame yourself.

Now stop bugging us and get the fuck out.
>>
>>61422342
>gnu
pig disgusting
>>
>>61420824
>instore apps
you mean this concept that was first introduced by Linux?
>>
>>61420803
Why would anyone be proud to be black?
>>
>>61420803
plenty of reasons.

- it just works
- supports all consumer hardware
- has a good window compositor, unlike Linux. Guaranteed hardware video decoding + tear-free environment with any modern videocard.
- windows 10 comes with all features you expect from a modern desktop environment: overview of all opened windows like OS X Exposé, virtual desktops, fully featured file explorer.
- plenty of third-party programs, more than any other OS. Easy installation of third-party programs thru official websites (compare installing Spotify on windows vs linux)
- familiar interface
- comes preinstalled with laptops and prebuilt computers. Cheap if you buy an OEM version for a custom built PC.
>>
Software availability.

I like Linux, everything that represents and software libre too but it's more comfortable to just use Windows at the moment.
>>
>>61420803
because i have work to do and cant waste time on constantly trying to fix my os
>>
>>61421503
Is that why virtually all businesses use Windows on their workstations and servers?
>>
>>61423019
>tear-free
my w7 laptop woud disagree
>>
>>61420870
Something funny?
>>
>>61420817

FPBP
>>
>>61420863
>t. too stupid to use GIMP
>>
Why would anyone use Linux?

Or macOS?

Unless they were a paedophile or a faggot?
>>
>>61423839

No. That would be Office, Exchange, Sharepoint, Active Directory, Lync, SQL Server, QuickBooks, Paychex, etc., etc., etc....

You literally can't get any real world work done without Windows.
>>
>>61420803
application compatibility and universal support from nearly every piece of hardware known to man
>>
>>61420803
My boss forced me to use it
>>
>>61423839
Windows has dominated the workstation market for well over a decade now, and it does see plenty of usage in the datacenter for infrastructural roles (AD, RDP, Exchange, etc.)

There's more to computing beyond the walls of your university's CS department.
>>
>>61420837
>Photoshop
majority of PS pros are on macOS.
>>
>>61420803
why would anyone use anything else?

kill yourself dipshit
>>
>>61420803
because I don't want shitskins to enter my apartment and steal my shit? unless you want to live in a box of bricks without natural light access, windows are a must now a days, they protect from rain and the winds too.
>>
>>61424270
yeah but I am not a faggot
>>
>>61424458
yes u are
>>
>>61421113
And what's bad about that?
>>
>>61420803
3
>>
>>61420803
3
>>
>>61420817
Most Windows games on gog.com run fine in Wine. Steam and Xbox DRM scams are for knuckle-draggers.

>>61420825
>most productive OS

"Productive" when you're not being constantly interrupted by endless "updates" or ransomware or bloatware or your cheap flimsy Lenovo / Dell / HP craptop shitting itself again, so in the end you're really only working about a third of the total time (and babysitting / fixing Windows for the other two thirds).
>>
>>61424458
you're a faggot if you suck dick and take it up the ass. judging by your comments, you crave BBC in your tore-up asshole.
>>
>>61424706
>>61424527
topkek, what's wrong? Can't charge your iphones on your macbook pro*?
>>
>>61424657
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound.

>update pops up
>click "later"

Or

>turn off updates

Wow I can't get any work done

And
>babysitting/fixing Windows
Linux isn't popular for that exact reason retard. Besides, If that's all you wanted you would switch to MacOS.
>>
>>61420803

>this gif

kek
>>
>>61420803
For professional work?

>imb4 botnet
Yeah, they know my name is Steve and i browse 4chan and download some chinese cartoons.Omg, i'm going to prison.

The better question is
Why would anyone use Linux?
>>
>>61420803
Linux user here.
Your answer is Visual Studio.
>>
>>61420837
>>
FUCC APPLE
>>
>>61424852
now work with a 8000x9000 picture with 20 layers with complicated marcos and filters.
>>
>>61424940
Sure, I have 64 GB of RAM.
>>
>>61424955
>buy top tier cpu, gpu and 64 gb of ram
>run linux
>lmao it's so lightweight I don't use any of the hardware I spent money on

retard
>>
I was told this nigger OS was free but I just made a vm and it wants me to "activate" it, what do?
>>
>>61425067
I do. Software for manipulating Genomes and CUDA eat up a lot of resources. Stupid himan genome requires 32 gb of RAM.
>>
>>61425316
>Stupid himan
heh
>>
>>61425362
You misunderstand, it's a new species of human he's inventing with his 32GB of of RAM
>>
>>61425307
Supply your credit card information
>>
>>61424832
CLion, no need for Visual Studio.

Visual Studio 2017 installer hangs, when finishes leaves a process using 30% of cpu.

Compiling a solution (project) made in another Visual Studio most of the time doesn't work. You try to install the C++ runtime for that specific version, fails because you have a more recent one.

Visual Studio sucks if you are not using it in one closed project inside a company.
>>
>>61425613
>He doesn't keep his projects in separate virtual machines
>>
>>61425654
>He doesn't collaborate in open source projects.
>>
>>61420803
EXE installers are a lot easier than .run/.sh installers that don't install dependencies or uninstallers, so you don't have to hunt down one .deb after another to make it run, and you don't have to hunt all over your file system to manually remove the application.

Look at all this work you have to go through just to run Maya on Ubuntu.

https://lost-triangle.com/2016/09/05/install-maya-2017-on-ubuntu-16-04/

I'm not going to put myself through all of that when on Windows I can be up and running in just a few clicks.
>>
>>61420803
It does everything and no other OS can claim that.
>>
>>61420803
If I need Linux, I can just 1-click install it from the Windows Store.
>>
>>61420803
People use it because it is pre-installed, no normalfag would want to install a different operating system.

Windows is familiar and they don't give a fuck about their operating system, so they would never even think about switching.
>>
>>61420803
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vRlJrkxsqo
>>
>>61425923
Can you use this to use not store apps on Windows 10 S?
>>
>>61425881
>It does everything
But "everything" includes spying into the private life of billions.

And "everything" does appearently not include things such as customization.
>>
computers come with it. most people think an "os" is windows but nothing else.
>>
>>61424282
Because he cares about his Privacy?
Or customization or freedom?
>>
File: comment_in_loo.png (51 KB, 1472x288)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
unironically for the commenters on microsoft.com
>>
You use Windows to work and play games
You use OSX because it's unbreakable and powerful, ideal for work.
And finally you use GNU/systemd/Linux (Desktop) to reinvent wheel by developing infite number of software that's supposed to do the same thing, yet none actually works without hours of troubleshoting and perfect combination of hardware.
>>
>>61424815
If you don't care about Privacy, go ahead and post all your private information here...

And I mean ALL, all your accounts, possibly credit card info etc..

If you don't care about Privacy that is no problem, if you do then why are you fine with Microsoft collecting your data and most likely selling it.
>>
>>61426311
Have you ever used Linux?
Recently?

It is about as easy to install as windows and significantly less likely to shit itself.
It also will work everywhere perfectly.
>>
>>61426284
Totally worth it
>>
Work? Just excel is fucking unique in windows.
>>
>>61426359
Typical elitist denialism. GNU/Linux has plethora of problems that could be solved if it wasn't for fags like yourself that pretend that everything is fine. Fedora is a gem hidden in a pile of shit, because they plan to get their shit together and create standard ABI/API and works with AMD, Intel and Nvidia to deliver hardware support.
>>
I need to dual boot in order to use AutoCAD, ArcGIS and Photoshop. I don't play games, though.

For everything else Linux is just fine.
>>
>>61424741
I disagree>>61424657
I completely agree I hate Microsoft so much right now. Why do they do these things
>>
>>61420803
>multithreaded program I use every day
>wangblows only
>runs just fine from wine
>except it won't use more than one core

that's why. I hope the devs port it to gahnoo+loonix one day.
>>
>look up game on Wine website
>rated Gold
>try it out
>doesn't work
I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong or what, but half the games I try to play on WINE don't work, regardless of their rating. It just seems like a ridiculous hassle considering you could just dual boot or use a VM and have it just werk with no issues.
>>
>>61420803
It just werkz like VLC! But seriously. Write me device drivers for anything I would possibly buy in the next 10 years or -10 years and I'll go Ubuntu, okay?

And for the last time having my computer display 800X600 res with 256 colors is NOT "just werkz" .....or even "better", give me a black screen of death on a vanilla USB install.

You fanboying shillbuckers are full of shit
>>
>>61427463
>except it won't use more than one core
>>61427535
>, but half the games I try to play on WINE don't work, regardless of their rating.

WINE is shillware. Confirmed.


>>61424657
>>61424657
>"Productive" when you're not being constantly interrupted by endless "updates" or ransomware or bloatware or your cheap flimsy Lenovo / Dell / HP craptop shitting itself again, so in the end you're really only working about a third of the total time (and babysitting / fixing Windows for the other two thirds).

But anon@!!! You must update your Gentoo every hour and recompile it everyweek for max memes and to avoid virus and security hacks.
>>
>>61424852
>CS6
>not CC 2017
And where is Illustrator, InDesign, After Effect, Audition and Premiere?




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.