[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

previous thread: >>63705097
>>
>>63728011
Where's the best tutorial to dual boot windows and linux?
>>
>>63728029
ask ubuntu
>>
What is the best and least botnet browser? No extreme autist answers like lynx please, something with javascript and active development but won't phone home or keep anonymous data
>>
>>63728129
Pale moon or one of the 20 other firefox forks
>>
File: 1512542635437.jpg (78 KB, 600x1067)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>63728011
on unix or unix-like machines, is there a method other than netstat that allows the ability to view computers connected to you, or your router? what would the terminal command(s) be?
>>
>live in Florida
>hurricane happens
>power kept going on and off while using PC
>don't have a UPS
>booting has taken much longer since then >namelyy the boot logo part lasts for ~10 seconds before OS launches
Does this mean the electrical outages fucked up my motherboard, or could something else be the culprit? I also have a hard drive that's older and has been freezing a lot in explorer recently. This has me conflicted on whether it's the mobo or HDD.
>>
my laptop has been saying plugged in not charging once it reaches 80%. thought it was the battery, but i bought a brand new one and it still happens.

the fuck else could be making this happen?
>>
>>63728167
arp-scan, pretty easy

arp-scan -localnet
>>
Test
>>
File: Untitled.png (44 KB, 1014x487)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
Honestly all I wanted was to inflate an image 2x in waifu2x then feed it to pnggauntlet while I slept, but http://waifu2x.udp.jp/ redirects to an ubultu default page, so I downloaded waifu2x from github and it shows me all this.

All I did was change "Denoise level" from 0 to 2, since I believe waifu2x's default settings had that on two. Are these the default settings of waifu2x? For that matter are the default settings of waifu2x even the best for use on anime pics? I will probably rush to run this through it then feed the output to pnggauntlet and hop to bed, but thanks to anyone who replies to me in my sleep, if they do.
>>
File: animu_girl.jpg (377 KB, 1500x2071)
377 KB
377 KB JPG
>>63728011
What is the most efficient way to gather wireless info for conky?
It seems to be using deprecated iwconfig.
>>
>>63728307
nope never mind my piece of shit laptop needs a "CUDA" driver to convert so I guess I'm sleeping on no progress tonight after 20 mins of staying awake. I guess I'm sleeping on no progress tonight. Thanks for any feedback anyway if I get any.
>>
Alright /sqt/ I'm at my wits end. As of late my pc has had this issue where the monitors will freeze for like 3-5 minutes but background noises and music still plays and I'm able to move my mouse but that's it, that's all I can do. So I double checked my gpu drivers, I power cycled my ssd thinking it might be Windows, I've tried to do a factory reset and a system restore but Windows tell me no changes were made and that the system restore failed. I've tried using a restore point but every restore point failed. I took it to a pc shop but Guams pc stores kinda suck and they told me it would either be the drivers which I already checked or the psu. So after that I checked my drivers again, and I've also swapped out my gtx1070 for my old gtx970 but it didn't even turn on. So this weekend I'm gonna test it with a buddies psu. I'm not sure what else to do or try. What are your thoughts
>>
File: 1358234551427.gif (16 KB, 125x125)
16 KB
16 KB GIF
Using my own un/pw on my win10 pc consistently logs me into defaultuser0 instead of my normal user, tried messing with folder extensions in regedit but didn't fix it, anyone know what the deal is?
>>
File: pixels.jpg (2.47 MB, 3840x2161)
2.47 MB
2.47 MB JPG
I'm about to pull the trigger on either a VA or IPS as a second monitor (mainly for browsing and watching videos). I already have a great TN as a main which I use for everyday stuff and gaming. Now I've only ever had a TN monitor and I'm not entirely sure which one would suit me best. I'm not sure if I should rather get an IPS with superior color brilliance and lower contrast or an VA with better contrast in trade for worse colors and possibly ghosting. Which one should I buy?

These are the ones I'm considering if anyone's interested:
>IPS (149€ where I live)
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072XCZSSW
>VA (129€)
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KYCSRQI
>>
>>63728389
fucked up the second link, it's actually
>https://www.amazon.com/GW2470HM-23-8-inches-Black-computer-monitor/dp/B01JIQ86FM/
>>
File: build1.png (96 KB, 1159x719)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
Guys, can you check out the build I put together for my brother (14)?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HJsrzM
My parents were going to buy a prebuilt, I looked at it and it's trash so I said I could do better. We're on the verge of pulling the trigger. He'll be using a 1080p 60hz monitor. He plays pubg, rainbow six siege and some other fpses I don't know about. Thanks in advance.
>I really wanted to put another 8gb stick in but ram is so fucking expensive and they don't want to spend a grand on the pc, I'm already on the budget limit
>>
I saw a pic on here about 30 minutes ago of a dry donut and a wet donut with an anime grill under. Anyone saved and can share?
>>
File: Stupid Question.png (90 KB, 959x812)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
Have I had my ram in this motherboard wrong the whole time?
I have a stick in A1 and a stick in B1
That's right isn't it?
>>
>>63728603
Yeah, you're all good. Most motherboards have channels configured like 1-2-1-2.
>>
>>63728011
I'm in a bit of a bind here. I'll spare the lengthy details, but basically I accidentally deleted all the system files of my tablet's rooted Android and now I can't boot and I need to find out how to get a working ROM on there again. I have the ROM, but I can't find out how to actually install it. I've tried a hard reset but it does nothing. I've already tried various methods from searching and I'm at a loss now.

I'm not well versed in mobile devices. Any help?
>>
File: 1497519307444.jpg (93 KB, 375x500)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
Hey /g/ I got this monitor on black friday for $239.99 https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-32-inch-Wide-Viewing-Display/dp/B01FGCJBGK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1512638702&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+pavilion+32q

Saw this for $299 on amazon though https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UD58-B-27-Inch-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B01IRQAYPE , decided to get it and return the $239.99 one. Was that the right thing to do? What do you think?

I plan on doing
>digital painting, photoshop/maya
>some light gaming on PC, PS4 and switch (not too much)

What do you think?
>>
File: hmm.png (60 KB, 1536x918)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
So until today, and today morning everything worked fine, but after few hours I noticed that I can't mine on my processor in Firefox anymore. Any tips what went wrong?
uBlock is disabled
mining services are running as they should in my other browsers
I haven't installed or removed anything from Firefox during this time
I tried to restart the PC and re-install firefox but still nothing, any ideas?
>>
Hey,
I used Postgres - Django - bootstrap to make a few personal stuff, it went great.

What could replace django (idgaf about MVT stuff) as a cool get "data/modifiy it/send to frontend" tool between my db and the frontend ? I'm completely lost.

Pls no node.js
>>
>>63728920
You're good mate
Godspeed
>>
>>63728709
Basically fucked, this is the kind of shit that rooting allows and you were warned about.
>>
>>63729016
You serious? It was a fucking slip of my thumb. Surely there has to be a way. How do they put Android on the damn thing in the first place?
>>
>>63728353
if i understand correctly, everything on screen is still displayed, but frozen, except the mouse movement ?
>>
Is 27 too old to go to school and kickstart a career in IT?

I'm an admissions clerk at a hospital right now and I've reached a dead end. I'm topped out at $10 an hour and I just feel dead inside every time I go to work.

Would an associate's degree from community college in IT with a focus on networking be enough?
>>
>>63729058
>I just feel dead inside every time I go to work.

If you become a network tech/sysadmin/server room operator you will feel the same way. Most of these positions pay a salary rather than an hourly rate and demand 60+ hour weeks and lots of late nights. Also if you truly like computers as a hobby, turning it into a job will make you disgusted every time you even look at a computer.

>Would an associate's degree from community college in IT with a focus on networking be enough?

Go on indeed.com and see what jobs are in your area and what they require.
>>
>>63729058
I'm a math/CS double major and I have a dude that's like 50 years old on my abstract algebra class

like, almost fully bald wit white hair and shit

never too old to start going to school lad

with no connections your associate's degree isn't enough to make you competitive, it's something but you need a bit more if you're own your own
>>
File: pls_respond.png (200 KB, 398x400)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>63728987
>>
File: enough.jpg (21 KB, 600x384)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>63729083
>Go on indeed.com and see what jobs are in your area and what they require.

First thing I saw

>"IT technician" $28,000/yr
>Requirements: BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent. 5+ years of experience in the design and implementation of networks both LAN and WAN. ACI and NSX experience are required. Experience with SDN, VPN setup and configuration. Broad Cisco background, router and switch configuration and deployment.

>>63729086
Sadly I'm married and tied down in a very rural area so going to a 4 year university is out of the question. I guess I'll become an electrician or something.
>>
File: 417K2FXT6ZL._SX463_.jpg (25 KB, 463x422)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
I have custom firmware Tomato on my WRT54G and I don't intend to transfer data at rates beyond its capability any time soon. Why should I buy a newer WiFi router?
>>
>>63729113
if you live in a rural area and are not really good at sucking cock you will not find a decent networking gig

be a plumber or truck driver or something
>>
>>63729122

Have the same setup.

CPU is just too slow for QoS with speeds today.

Still won't upgrade anytime soon.
>>
File: wookie_shrug.gif (2.89 MB, 432x299)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB GIF
The guy at the computer store told me not to blow compressed air into my laptop's fan because it will fuck up the bearings. He told me to take it apart and clean the fan with a brush instead.

Is this true? Will I fuck the fan with the standard compressed air electronics cleaner can?
>>
>>63729192
Don't blow it for long minutes then you'll be fine, blow small then stop and repeat.
>>
>>63729192
Q: "What's the difference between a used car salesman and a computer store salesman?"
A: The used car salesman knows when he's lying.
>>
>>63729122
Because it's fucking wireless G. You shouldn't even have that shit competing with modern networks. People still just use it because they don't know any better and they cling to familiar shit. There are a million goddamn routers that have better range, latency and reliability than that one.
>>
>>63729192
You just don't want to get the fan going super fast. Do short bursts and do it from a slight distance. Also for the love of god don't blow air into a speaker thinking it's a fan vent.
>>
File: cat2.gif (574 KB, 299x198)
574 KB
574 KB GIF
>>63728987
Anyone?._. It's strange that it worked all week long and even in the morning but not anymore.
>>
So uh, here's the deal: I've got an R9 290 that has started to get a bit... toastier than normal. One reason might be that the airflow to the GPU in the case isn't the best possible.
So my question is, has anyone here made an AIO liquid cooler to their GPU? Like, there's conversion sets for the R9 290 where you just buy the conversion set and a liquid cooler like for example a hydro h100i and boom, liquid cooled GPU. This way I could put the fans in a way that they can cool the GPU more, but it would cost me around 150€ to do this.
Opinions?
>>
>>63728389
Nobody wants a VA. That said, literally no one in your first link has reviewed the IPS. I'd google any model's you're considering and find something with a writeup from av nerds, cause they'll do fucking in depth analysis of shit.
>>
Is it possible to teach myself programming/web development in one year and be employable?
>>
I got a new laptop this spring and I'm noticing an issue recently with my RAM.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers for my Killer network adapter since that's the most popular culprit and solution on google for my particular symptoms but it didn't help, and I'm 2stupid to know if I should try just uninstalling it or if that breaks everything. Can I do this?

My issue is high RAM usage on startup, NOT leak over time just immediately on startup, that goes away if I restart. Every first startup of the day (I sleep with it off) it uses ~50% of RAM, after resetting it goes back to ~14% which is where it should be.
>>
No matter what, there's always something that causes me to go back to Windows. Nothing can help me now, /g/.

What's the best copy of Windows without much of the bloat and botnet.
>>
>>63729034
That's right, mouse movement is still fine as is audio while the monitors are frozen
>>
>>63729251
But the range and reliability is good enough and if I intend to game I'll use ethernet. I like Tomato, too. How much would I have to pay for a router with firmware as reliable, efficient, and featureful as Tomato?
>>
>>63728011
repostan from last thread, does no one know?

Question about the "Now Playing" status of Discord.
If you're logged into it from two devices, and one is playing something while the other isn't, what happens? I see that on the Playing PC it shows what you're playing, but on the Standby PC it shows nothing. So how does it decide what is actually shown to others?
>>
I have an old hdd, which i would like to whipe as much as i can and check health of it. what would be the best methods/programs for that?
>>
>>63729414
bumping this question >>63729626
>>
>>63729541
dban it
>>
>>63728206
its probably an option to make the battery live longer
there might be a pre-installed program to disable it (i.e. samsung battery saver) or just find it on the bios and change it
>>63729331
if youre good on mathematics you will easily learn programming languages and programming in general
you should start on webdev first since even normalfags can kode these days, and so should you

Here's my question, not a question of stupidity but sounds stupid because its related to h4x0r bullshit: about how long would a gt520m crack a wpa2 handshake?
>>
So, my PSU fans been faintly rattling (have to stand beside it to hear it) for a few months until I give the case a tap, making it go away for a while.
I think it's a wire or something in the way, but I'd rather not open the thing up seeing as I'm practically half blind.
Everyone on those PC forums says the PSU will explode and I'll die if I don't replace it immediately, but there's been 0 problems besides the noise. I can't RMA at this point.
Thoughts?
>>
>>63729028
If you can boot into dowload mode ( holding volup+home on samsung crap ) then you can hunt down the original stock rom and a program like LGUP for lg devices or odin for samsungs and flash that rom from your computer, there should be guides and if not you could make a thread on your devices xda page, unless it's some super obscure piece of tablet you should find some help
>>
Is this route a good way to get an entry level IT job?
>>
>>63729430
Tomato is pretty ass as far as firmware goes. LEDE is king, or the alternate asus firmware if you need something dead simple and don't care about QOS.
>>
Hello,
I have to make an analysis of a search term's popularity, but Google Trends doesn't have enough data to show anything. Is there a similar functionality? I'm looking for something along the lines of
>total times searched
>development of popularity during last X years
>or just the traffic of the specific site I'm aiming at
>>
File: 1507071364710.jpg (172 KB, 1280x853)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
For some reason 4chan won't keep my settings. The style and everything is remembered but the settings reset everytime I restart Firefox. This is really annoying and I haven't got a clue why.
>>
>>63728011
I'm using this py script that pastes some weather info into my polybar but when I'm offline I get a fallback connection error. what do I need to prevent the script from failing and just paste nothing (or a whitespace) when there is no internet?
https://github.com/jaagr/polybar/wiki/User-contributed-modules#weather-icons
>>
>>63729893
check the cookies and see if they are being ignored for the 4chan domain
>>
>>63729643
just buy a x220, put an SSD and upgrade to 8 or 16gb of ram and there you go a good/cheap laptop with nice specs
>>
>>63729541
not sure about the formatting thing but you can check health with crystaldisk info
>>
>>63729912
>>63729893
Hmm, seems like I need to keep "Offline Web Site Data" in order for the settings to be saved. I don't think this was always the case as I usually clear it when I close the browser and only keep cookies.
>>
File: IMG_0546.png (44 KB, 744x687)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
What is a pc with a 4770k watercooled at 4.3 and a gtx 980 with 8 gbs of ram and 2 240gb ssd's worth? It's in a nice corsair case fwiw. Just the tower. Thinking of selling it and getting a "gaymen" laptop..
>>
hey can anybody help me out with my filters? apparently im doing them wrong since i can still see some of the posts when i browse certain threads on other boards.

thanks in advance

/draw/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/dick[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/fur[ry|ies]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/gay[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/trap[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/sissy/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/logs/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/log/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/tranny/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/shemale[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/hentai/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/sfm/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/cock[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/mexithread/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/tribute/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/kik/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/shota[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/loli[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/waifu[s]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
/bi[sexual]/i;op:only;stub:no;boards:b,gif,hc
>>
>>63728011
What's a Personal Computer?
>>
File: AMA Benq.png (18 KB, 951x245)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
So I turned on the AMA setting on my Benq monitor. I didn't really notice a difference, but when I slowly scroll in Firefox I notice heavy ghosting on text. Isn't AMA supposed to elliminate ghosting? Also found this shit on the official FAQ page. Is their support retarded?
>>
>>63729985
I don't use filters. But seems like you only have enabled them for b, gif and hc?
>>
should i end myself?
>>
>>63730050
Depend's anon. Are you a qt?
>>
File: 1511140350987.png (790 KB, 652x589)
790 KB
790 KB PNG
>>63730050
No, live is short enough anyway. If you value your life so little better put it on the line for something of value than ending it for naught.
>>
If I have a javascript function in a html page which runs on a constant loop (say it repeats itself every second), what is stopping it from jamming up everything else?

wouldnt the rest of the page never load since its in the middle of doing the loop?

does enclosing it within its own <script> tags do anything for this?
>>
>>63730060
no
>>63730098
thank you, based disciple of Master Foo
>>
>>63730104
A javascript funtion on an infinite loop would cause the page to become unresponsive, yes.

Running a javascript funtion every few seconds can be done with setInterval() (note this will probably be inefficient)

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WindowTimers/setInterval
>>
I'm using Photoshop CC15. I'm trying to save a million versions of a picture I'm editing and it's getting annoying when the default file name is always set to "Untitled-1.EXT"

I want to change the default file name for [Save For Web] to sequentially name the files E.G
Untilted-1.jpg
Untilted-2.jpg
Untilted-3.jpg
Without me having to enter it each time and see if it's in use?
>>
>>63730143
Yeah go out and find something stupid to do. Maybe change someones life then off yourself. Don't be a waste
>>
>>63729884
>I have to make an analysis of a search term's popularity
>Google Trends doesn't have enough data to show anything
There's your answer.
>>
>>63729884
adwords keyword planner
>>
>>63728987
>>63729290
>>63729098
>>>/biz/
>>
>>63728603
The manual recommends A2, B2, but A1, B1 will likely be identical in terms of performance.
>>
File: 1509296835804.jpg (63 KB, 640x853)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
Is there any alternative to Win10 or Android in the tablet market? I hate them both and try to avoid them if possible.
>>
>>63730250
iOS
>>
>>63728129
Nightly
>>
>>63729098
Sorry sunshine. This is a no-miner zone :(. Check reddit though
>>
>>63728535
>FULL HD
>1060 6GB VRAM

get a 3GB VRAM, that's enough. And also aren't there any budget mobos out there?
Other than that, get it and maybe add more RAM by saving on mobo .
>>
>>63729985
a lot of those are not doing what you think they are, for example;
"cock[s]" matches only "cocks", for "cock" or "cocks", use "cocks?", though this is also redundant, as "cocks" contains "cock" and will match with just "cock"
"bi[sexual]" matches a ton of stuff, [] means any of these characters, i'm not even sure what your intention here is. this matches things like "rabbis" and "mobile"
>>
>>63730148
thanks mate
Is there any benefit or drawback to having multiple separate <script> tags within a document?

Is it just to separate your code?
>>
>>63729992
A personal computer (PC) is a multi-purpose computer whose size, capabilities, and price make it feasible for individual use. PCs are intended to be operated directly by an end user, rather than by a computer expert or technician. Computer time-sharing models that were typically used with larger, more expensive minicomputer and mainframe systems, to enable them be used by many people at the same time, are not used with PCs.
>>
>>63730443
[spoiler]I meant it as a joke but your explanation was really well done[/spoiler]
>>
pls send help, someone deleted youtub :--(
>>
I have a rather peculiar issue with my pc
>try to turn on pc
>either repeatedly shuts down and tries to restart or starts without giving video output
>pull out one stick of ram (i have 4 4gb sticks) doesnt matter which slot
>pc boots fine
>shut down and put the stick back and turn it on again
>boots up fine with all 16gb recognized and usable
What gives? Memtest86 found nothing. Is my mobo going bad? Did i fuck up my cpu OC?
>>
I got permabanned twice from a small forum that needs approved registration. I used to browse on my phone and laptop then got banned, started browsing again a month later, got permabanned again with reason given: 'my first username'. Which means they knew who i was. They've rolled back the bans and demodded the guy that banned me. I want to sign up again, if I sign up on my phone using my 4g connection and browse ONLY using my phone's data, will they know it's me?
>>
I've learnt some basics from Java before realizing it may not be the language I want to use. I was thinking of maybe moving to C or C++ to learn. Should I just stick with java to learn the more advanced concepts then move?
>>
Can cats feel pain?
>>
anyone got a dell xps here?
how reliable are they? i have bad experiences with old dells being pieces of shit after a year or two.
>>
Hey guys I'm looking for a NFC charging station for my phone.

And I'm also looking for a NFC PC station for my PC so as to connect my cellphone to my PC what are some decent stations?
>>
Need a hard drive for media storage, is it a bad idea to get a 5400 rpm drive? I'll be saving to it frequently and accessing it occasionally.
>>
my x200 has screen tearing. I think it doesn't happen only when I'm watching videos but when I scroll too so it's probably a graphics driver issue. what should I do? (im on arch)
>>
>>63731002
No, it is actually better.

Look for WD or HGST drives.
>>
>>63730975
They feel your pain. It's like an orgasm to them.
>>
there are some literally who tiny webshops who have silly prices like $150 for a razer deathadder elite
what's the deal? money laundering?
>>
>>63730989
idk but business laptops like dell latitude and hp elitebook are supposed to be more reliable
>>
>>63730374
>Is there any benefit or drawback to having multiple separate script tags
Not really. On most browsers they will usually run in order of appearance so just be sure you don't try to run code that depends on other code that has not been loaded or run yet.
>>
>>63730967
>before realizing it may not be the language I want to use
What makes you think that? You should be able to do anything you'd like to do in C/C++ in Java. Once you're familiar with one programing language it's fairly simple to learn another. Basic concepts carry over between languages. What changes is how they are implimented.

I'd suggest sticking with Java until you understand the basics and can write simple programs before jumping into a new language. You definitely do not have to be a Java expert before switching though.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with my USB3 stick not being recognized in USB3 ports in my W520?
dmesg doesnt show anything happening when I plug it in, I thought my usb ports might be faulty since the stick seems to work fine in other machines, but every other USB2/USB3 device work in the ports. My USB stick is the only exception, it sometimes might work but mostly not, but it works fine in USB2 port.
What the fuck is wrong here when the ports work with other devices and the stick itself works in other machines?
>>
My problem: no idea how to use a second monitor with manjaro-xfce, as it will detect but not display anything on monitor2.

Monitor1 is Displayport
Monitor2 is DVI>VGA
GPU is AMD Radeon hd 6850

Not sure what to search for, either.
>>
>>63731446
Oh well disregard that, just after posting I remembered that 1 of 2 dvi connections was dvi-d only.
>>
Why does my Windows 10 laptop takes HOURS to come out of sleep mode at 4am, but is almost instant at 10am?

I open up the laptop when I get hope from work (I work nights), and it just stays a black screen forever (the light around the power button is solid, so the computer isn't still asleep). I close it and wake up a few hours later, and it starts up again perfectly fine. Why?
>>
File: 1512430033353.png (200 KB, 1473x1024)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
>>63728011
Is it normal for these kinds of pictures to make my eyes hurt a lot when looking at them? What are these types of pictures called?
>>
>>63730975
No, they are not sentient beings.
Source: United Kingdom
>>
File: Capture.png (113 KB, 1325x750)
113 KB
113 KB PNG
My videos sometimes do this. What's the deal?

It fixes itself if I change quality. So, going from 480p to 1080p fixes it for example... Really weird issue. Have no clue what's going on but it gets really annoying. I don't think it's a driver issue is it?

>>63731635
Holy fucking shit that really fucks me up. Most of these I can easily tolerate but that one I can't. I have to look away. Feels dangerous.
>>
Is their a way to automate reverse image searches and have it download the highest resolution versions?
>>
>>63731697
Highest resolution doesnt always mean highest quality.
>>
>>63731713
and that is relevant to what he said how?
>>
>>63731328
>What makes you think that?
Eventually I wanted to be able to make small games that me and friends could play. As a hobby.

>I'd suggest sticking with Java until you understand the basics
Alright will do.
>>
>>63731635
Just optical illusions.
They all have different names.

>>63731676
Your GPU drivers are corrupted.
>>
>>63731721
you usually never want those russian upsampled shit pics
>>
File: 1377892564240.jpg (68 KB, 572x300)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
How do you clean junk files in linux? Is there some kind of disk cleanup/CCleaner for it?
pic unrelated
>>
>>63729661
>>63729953
thx

and about dban i just figure out thats my dvd driver didn't see empty dvd+r. is there other way to fire dban from bios (like from USB flash drive?)
>>
>>63731818
well there's bleachbit, or you can just do it manually
>>
>>63731859
>manually
rm -rf cache and trash folder?
>>
>>63731635
>(You)
>>
I have a pirated copy of Adobe Lightroom. I need to install the Adobe CameraRaw plugin for editing raw photos. Is it safe to install the version from Adobe's website, or do I need to use a pirated version of the plugin?
>>
>>63731726
>Eventually I wanted to be able to make small games that me and friends could play
Minecraft was written in Java and the Unity game engine supports C# which is increadibly close to Java. Be careful to learn the basics of programing before trying to do game development or else you'll end up spending hundreds of hours trying to accomplish something that could have been solved with basic knowledge of data structures.
>>
File: giv.png (45 KB, 778x512)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>63729328
>Nobody wants a VA
>great blacks
>still decent colors
>reaction times slightly slower than IPS but manageable
I want a VA
>>
>>63728987
Mining litecoin on a CPU? What the fuck. You should try mining Monero.
>>
>>63728389
at those prices i'd be very skeptical, probably 6 bit panels with ips glow
>>
>>63731818
Define "junk files". By convention, all temporary files should be stored in /tmp and /var/run, which are automatically cleared on reboot. Some software, especially windows software ported to Linux, doesn't respect those conventions, but you have to deal with that on a case by case basis. Most software that generates a lot of logs will also include a logrotate script, but again some don't. Same goes for any other caches/version history/etc. The bottom line is if the software respects posix conventions and directory structure, it will be cleaned up automatically. If it doesn't, there's no way to predict where it's going to store shit or what's safe to delete.
>>
Best password manager?
>>
>>63731818
sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
>>
So I have an old computer that doesn't have USB 3.0 would one of those pcie USB 3.p cards be worth?
>>
>>63732505
No. Just stick with 14 mbps.
>>
File: u_00939526[1].jpg (55 KB, 1000x887)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Do network switches affect speed/latency in any way in a small home network?
I have my consoles and PC hooked up to the router through separate cables, but would it make any difference if I put them through a switch with one cable from that to the router?
>>
>>63732540
Not in any noticeable human sense. Still better than wifi.
>>
1x 8GB or 2x 4GB?
>>
so using java -jar examplegame.jar how do I make it launch with opengl, then how do I make it launch without opengl?
>>
>>63732575
you'd probably need to use -l to tell the linker where the opengl runtime lib is.
>>
>>63732584
idiot here could you give a full example would it be like java -jar -l /opt/opengl/runtime/ (or whatever) examplegame.jar
>>
>>63732572
2x4GB so you have dual channel and dual the rated speed.
>>
File: 1501486131875.png (95 KB, 680x448)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
Just got a new Amazon Fire TV Stick
What am I in for and what are things to look into?
>>
How can I get this python web API thing to run faster?
https://github.com/jaimeMF/youtube-dl-api-server

It takes about ten seconds to return anything useful.
I can't even get it to run in pypy.
>>
>>63732684
a botnet
how not to be spied on
>>
File: 1496271237834.jpg (120 KB, 871x784)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>63732702
>le botnet meme
>>
>>63732685
i don't know about python but node.js supports performance profiling

it might just be network requests taking time and not any computationally heavy thing it's doing (what would there even be)
>>
>>63732684
You're in for what Chromecast does but worse
>No YouTube
>Proprietary remote
>Have to use their shitty interface and service
>Locked down to whatever they're allowed to provide
Chromecast is literally better in every aspect.
>>
>>63731420
Maybe it's trying to draw too much power?
>>
>>63732720
>botnet is a meme
Everything is a meme with you dumb kids, even your own privacy being invaded.
>b-but i dun care lelelele two extremes and I pick one xd
>>
>>63730957
Delete cookies.
Update your OS so that the version number is different from the past (as your browser might sent it).
Update/Change your browser so that the name/version number is different from the past (as browsers tend to send this information).

Hopefully you'll look different enough from the your first time around.

Disable wifi when browsing to avoid accidentally connecting from your home ip address.

Use a new email address?
>>
>>63729430
There are quite a few AC routers that will take open firmware for a bit under $100
>>
>>63730657
Power-related issues maybe?
eg: psu not posting power-good.

If it's now working, I'd just carry on with your day.
>>
>>63729782
No.
>>
>>63729978
You will get more selling components separately because nobody wants to buy a Pc that a frogposter built because it will burn their house down.
>>
>>63732572
Whichever is cheaper. Also if you're thinking to upgrade in the future, 8gb is better since you can just buy another 8gb card.
>>
Linux music player for playing files over ftp?
>>
If I use a 12v 1.5a power supply on a device that traditionally come with a 12v 2a power supply how badly have I fucked up?
>>
>>63732871
you dont get it? i dont care
>>
I'm making a ConvNet that starts with a 20x20 image.
How do I know the dimensions of the output space of each layer is?

Say I start with a 3x3 stride 1 padding 1 conv. layer.
Other than looking at it on paper how can I work out the size of the NxN space that is passed to the next layer.
Likewise for pooling layers
>>
looking for a good, cheap laptop to install linux on to learn it. Mostly gonna use it for emails and writing documents otherwise. Anyone got any recommendations? Don't need much storage or anything, can spend anywhere from 100-1000$
>>
>>63732987
You could mount the ftp share and access the files through your filesystem like normal.
>>
>>63733016
Pls respond
>>
>>63733061
I'm doing sshfs already, and want more options.
>>
>>63731420
Reinstall usb3 driver is first step
>>
File: eich.gif (318 KB, 500x500)
318 KB
318 KB GIF
>>63731635
>>63731676
Jew detector
>>
>>63733074
You just don't have enough umph to get it really going and might have stability issues.
>>
Do you guys know of any places that offer cheap deals on learning a language?
Like half the price of Rosetta Stone
>>
So /g/uys, i want to encrypt my external hdd with veracrypt, do i need to backup all my data first? Or the hdd wont be formated in the process?
>>
>>63733119
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
>>
I can drag and drop a folder of images into chrome to view its content, but once I open an image, I can't view the next one without going back to the folder and open the new one.
How do I visualize the next image in the folder without using extensions?
>>
Am I supposed to be looking at git commits as the state of an individual file, or the state of the entire project/branch?
>>
>>63732720
>systemd is botnet
meme
>amazon fire is botnet
not meme
>>
>>63733123

Can I encrypt a partition/drive without losing the data currently stored on it?
Yes, but the following conditions must be met:

If you want to encrypt an entire system drive (which may contain multiple partitions) or a system partition (in other words, if you want to encrypt a drive or partition where Windows is installed), you can do so provided that you use Windows XP or a later version of Windows (such as Windows 7) (select 'System' > 'Encrypt System Partition/Drive' and then follow the instructions in the wizard).
If you want to encrypt a non-system partition in place, you can do so provided that it contains an NTFS filesystem and that you use Windows Vista or a later version of Windows (for example, Windows 7) (click 'Create Volume' > 'Encrypt a non-system partition' > 'Standard volume' > 'Select Device' > 'Encrypt partition in place' and then follow the instructions in the wizard).
https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=FAQ
>>
File: 1488149074802.png (576 KB, 850x949)
576 KB
576 KB PNG
Ive got some mp3 and m4a files of varying loudness, which usually wouldnt bother me that much since I can change the volume on the fly, howevet when I play these on my ps4 I cant constantly change the volume while playing, Ive tried the inbuilt volume thing on the tv but it barely works, I would like to keep the volume as regular as possible losing the least amount of quality, i.e, without tampering with the files, it is possible?
>>
>>63733167
Don't post pictures that gross on a blue board, anon.
>>
Where does my money go when i buy iotas? Is it the inventor who gets rich from it? I get how mining works, but needless to say iotas can't be mined.
>>
>>63729837
>LEDE
Looks a lot more like a derivative of Tomato than the OpenWrt I remember using before with the shitty (IMO) GUI. LOL.
>>
Is the Chromecast worth it...?
>>
>>63733273
No.
>>
>>63733273
no chance get a long hdmi cable or steam link or something
>>
cool things to do with a server? already running zerobin and a blog
>>
>>63733273
No. It doesn't even have its own interface.
>>
>>63733103
But if it's something pretty low draw like a modem/router will it be okay?
>>
File: 1491080485235.png (31 KB, 843x326)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>63732684
pls respond
>>
>>63733387
probably won't explode but it might not work properly
>>
>>63733133
I was talking more like actual languages (English,Spanish, etc)
Thanks though
>>
>>63733176
You can set the replay gain in the tags but I dunno if your games box will respect that.
>>
>>63732740
>no youtube
already enough of a reason to use Chromecast
>>
>>63733157
Git committed link to a tree object which encompasses the entire projects file structure.
>>
File: 1512565738556[1].jpg (262 KB, 1366x768)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
Hi. My laptop on pic. Is it Gpu or vram or HM65 problem?
How to know?
>>
>>63733534
GPU or GPU driver related.
>>
>>63733560
some people said it intel hm65 problem and i need to replace it. Can I use reheat as diagnostic method?
>>
>>63733617
Sounds unrelated to me, it would be true if you were using a IGPU but i see you are using a NVIDIA GPU.
>>
>>63733617
Also before attempting any hardware repair try the basic software ones.

Reinstall your GPU drivers.
>>
File: 1496007051131.jpg (310 KB, 800x910)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
What do I need to edit in jpegview.ini to make it navigate by filename instead of modified date by default?
When I change the setting in the ui it reverts when I next open it
>>
>>63733267
>derivative of Tomato
LEDE isn't derivative of anything. It is a much better fork of OpenWrt that got all the good devs. They both use variants of LUCI if you need a GUI. Tomato works like shit under the hood compared to the others, but if you haven't noticed any problems or missing features and it gives you a stiffy, then knock yourself out.
>>
manjaro is stuck on boot at "starting Samba SMB/CIFS server
How do I get past this?
>>
>>63734015
If a fork isn't a derivative then what does "derivative" mean?
>>
>>63733273
yes
all the main programs i.e. youtube twitch etc have their own built-in implementations
plus controlled from your phone
>>
File: 1500544876622.jpg (185 KB, 960x960)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
So I just launched mIRC after several years of not using it and I can't get past the registration window even though I'm using an old version (7.19) and it used to work.
Any way to circumvent this, or is it fucked?
Yes, I know there are other clients. I like mIRC and I have some scripts in its language I want to use.
>>
>>63728011

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/L8yd3F

don't want to turn this into a "r8 muh build plx" post, but i'm just trying to make informed decisions since this is the first time i'm building a pc. gonna be using it for gaming, mostly MMOs, maybe some FPS in there as well.

my cousin gave me a simple part list for around $1k (my upper budget limit) that i played around with a bit, since i don't want to just accept what he gave me at face value without understanding the logic behind it all first.

basically i'm just wondering what are the best sources for looking into this kind of stuff? i've been watching some youtube videos and reading basic articles on how to choose parts, but since i'm new to all this i don't really know who's talking out of their ass or just straight shilling parts. and i'm a bit skeptical at just accepting established budget builds that people are putting out.
>>
File: ChQh-ZgUoAAPxnf.jpg (143 KB, 675x1200)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>63728011
currently looking to set up:
- private email server (postcot/dovefix)
- private VPN server (OpenVPN)

I've got a cheap 100/10 connection and reliable electricity.
is there any good reason for me to not set up a server at home instead of renting a VPS? it gets expensive fast. plus if I have it at home I could avoid many kinds of remote administration vulnerabilities
>>
File: 1511490948070.jpg (13 KB, 271x271)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
Which is better for my speaker's lifespans?
>leaving them on 24/7
>turning them off and on when I use them
>turning them off only at night
>>
>>63728011
What would I need to know to set up a online crypto exchange?
>>
What am I getting if I buy some IPTV box, is it just android with some pirate tv apks preinstalled? Would I be better off just getting a pi putting android on it?
>>
>>63734382
much more than you currently know, especially given that you don't even know where to start
>>
>>63734350
speakers don't do anything when you're not using them. do you mean a receiver or an amplifier or something?
>>
>>63734460
studio monitors
HS80m
>>
>>63728011
Is a long password and the base linux firewall enough security for remote ssh?
Also would opening ssh ports cause any vulnerabilities for my roommates windows machine or ps4?
>>
>>63734475
i think you can just leave them on
check the instruction manual to see if they recommend that you turn them off when not in use
>>
>>63734490
The manual says to always turn off when not in use
But that's probably a lawsuit by fire prevention thing more than a product care thing
>>
>>63734483
"enough security" is very vague.
I wouldn't allow any remote administration through SSH at all. if I were to use it, I would do it based off key files from a secure machine, combined with port knocking.

>would opening ssh ports cause any vulnerabilities
yes

what would you like to protect yourself against?
>>
>>63734264
BUMP
>>
Does anyone have an idea of what this is?

002E95AC03439AF96A
79E469AB9B5C872E4A
51EE5BEFE23ADEFDE
27D148A1ED2F9E90E4
04859ED34D25836D812
68DE9C50E773E4529D4
34FABA9D9797A1362FD
>>
>>63734706
I added newlines because it was being detected as spam, but it's just one long string.
>>
>>63734066
Something that imitates features or aesthetics. A fork isn't trying to be like something, it is the thing, but with improvements or modifications.

Semantics aside, tomato shouldn't be anybodies first choice in 2017.
>>
>>63733668
Not drivers.
>>
File: 1502148278374.png (90 KB, 782x554)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
Bluetooth just sits here and the loading/scanning icon doesn't move. What do.
>>
>>63734706
Hexidecimal. In other words one long ass number that computers understand. Might be a hash or something.
>>
File: IMG_20171207_213217.jpg (2.89 MB, 2448x3264)
2.89 MB
2.89 MB JPG
I bought a tlk keyboard to replace my old membrane one and decided to turn the old one into a numpad, kinda worked but i had to fold the rest of the circuit at the back and tape it, only using two pieces of paper as isolation. It didnt work very well and it keeps inputing randome letters when i plug it in. Is there a better way of dealing with the rest of the circuit, perhaps cutting it off?
>>
>>63734951
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E8TTWZ2
>>
>>63734582
Got it, key-files make sense. Huh, it looks like I may be looking for the wrong tool. Is it just that untuned ssh usafe? Would you have any suggestions how to get started. I'm trying to use my desktop (primarily as a compiler for the laptop I'm bringing with me) while home for the holidays. Thanks in advance.
>>
File: IMG_20171207_213945.jpg (1.62 MB, 2448x3264)
1.62 MB
1.62 MB JPG
>>63734951
This is how the back looks, i just folded it a bunch of times, put paper in between and taped it together
>>
>>63734929
I tried converting it, but it gives a nonsensical string...
>>
>>63734929
this:
�.•¬Cšùjyäi«\‡.JQî[ïâ:Þýâ}ŠÒùé@HYí4ÒX6OhÞœPçsäRCO«©Ùyzbý
>>
>>63734951
you should've bought a keyboard with one
>>
>>63735009
>>63735042

Yeah, I mean you're not going to get anywhere with that. Pretty much all you can do is google "128 digit hex" and probably spend the afternoon wasting time on wikipedia.
>>
>>63734706
Comes out to this in binary:

00000000001011101001010110101100000000110100001110011010111110010110101001111001111001000110100110101011100110110101110010000111001011100100101001010001111011100101101111101111111000100011101011011110111111011110001001111101000101001000101000011110110100101111100111101001000011100100000001001000010110011110110100110100110100100101100000110110110110000001001001101000110111101001110001010000111001110111001111100100010100101001110101000011010011111010101110101001110110010111100101111010000100110110001011111101

Doesn't seem to mean anything.
>>
File: ASUS.png (50 KB, 727x315)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>>63730219
Well I should just kms now for not seeing that in the manual earlier.
>>
not a stupid question but still doesn't deserve its own thread

are either of these monitors decent? I've never had an iiyama so I don't know about their quality, and I'd prefer freesync if it's worth it but I've heard good things about ultrasharps. I'm looking for a decent 1440p monitor with a budget of £300-350, 144hz is a no-go for me

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-iiyama-b2783qsu-b1-free-sync-tn-led-monitor-2560-x-1440-1ms-350cd-m2-hdmi-dvi-dp-usb-swivel-pivot

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-dell-ultrasharp-infinityedge-u2417h-ips-panel-1920x1080-6ms-10001-250cd-m-mdp-dp-hdmi-usb-hub-aud
>>
I know that it is hard for ARM to emulate x86, but how hard is it for x86 to emulate ARM?
>>
>>63735188
I linked the wrong dell whoops, is the iiyama decent anyway
>>
File: 1477584525812.jpg (46 KB, 614x441)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I mistakenly downloaded a 1080p video and now I want to downscale it to 720p so my toaster can play it. I don't want to redownload it because of my data cap.

Here's what I use:
ffmpeg -i The.Flash.2014.S04E09.Don\'t.Run.1080p.WEB-DL.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA.mkv -vf scale=-1:720 -c:v libx265 -crf:22 -acodec copy -scodec copy  The.Flash.S04E09.720.mkv

But I got 'Unable to find a suitable output format for 'copy'
copy: Invalid argument' error. Some help please?
>>
What's the deal with website limiting the number of characters in your passwords ? If you hash a word, no matter the length, don't you get the same length in the output ?
>>
>>63735188
>>63735200
fucking this dell

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DELL-U2515H-ADZG-25-Inch-Monitor/dp/B00P6O3YYO
>>
>>63735201
I don't think the 1080p is the problem, it's probably the H265/HEVC codec. 1080p H264 is fucking solved, regardless.

Also H265/HEVC is patent hell so good luck finding widespread support of it.
>>
>>63735215
Stupid and flawed implementations of security.

There's no actual definitive answer, barring maybe storage requirements (but even then they're understating it).

In the perfect world everyone could offer themselves the best security available. I've seen software written in PHP that claims to keep itself up to date with the latest hashing algs. Don't know if that means rehashing old passwords via plaintext or hashing old hashes (tldr: both are fucking stupid) or forcing users to update their password and generate a new hash.
>>
>>63735215
Retarded standards.
>>
File: 1233137558821.jpg (12 KB, 426x304)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
So I just installed Windows 7 on a second hand PC I just bought. I formatted the hard drive and installed using the same pirated W7 that I've used in the past.
The problem I'm having is that after installing Windows I noticed that if I try to do anything on the C drive, it says "access denied". I can still install programs and do a little bit, but if I try to delete or modify any files Windows cracks the shits.
I am administrator. When I try to change all permissions (including subfolders) it does but some things bring up an error message "access denied", hiber.sys and $recyclebin for example.

I think I have to reinstall Windows 7 again, because it's not usable if you can't even do anything on C. I have installed Windows many times in my life but never had these permissions issues.

Why did it happen? How can I install Windows and ensure that I can actually modify my C drive?
>>
>>63735303
You dont have ownership of the drive.

Do you have stuff you care about on it?
No?

In the installer use the delete then format option.

Another option is use the TAKEOWN command in C: but might fuck the OS.
>>
>>63735327
I can format it again, that's no problem. But I did already format it before installing Windows.
>In the installer use the delete then format option.
Delete option? Is that an additional step to do before formatting?
>>
How to legally practice your "hacking" skills?
Read up on a lot of pentesting and practiced in a classroom setting with my teachers and such.
Whats the legal requirements in the US to do such things at home? If I set up my own computers on my own network I'm assuming this is legal. But if I connect any through the internet (taking proper precautions for other people as well) is this brushing up in illegal territory?
At what point do you start breaking laws if its all on your own devices with the exception being the "internet" and having to go through an isp?

I know there's some websites like hackthissite or whatever, but those aren't exactly what I'm looking at in terms of vulnerability and security testing.
>>
>>63735215
>What's the deal with website limiting the number of characters in your passwords
There's no good reason for this. Most large companies that do this usually cite some internal reasons for putting limits on passwords and state that longer passwords aren't necessarily more secure.

Evernote does not allow spaces in passwords for example, because the UI system they use causes unexpected errors when spaces are included in passwords. Microsoft has said that limits to their passwords are due to "historical password validation logic" and that updating the old logic to allow for longer passwords would take months of work to push to all their systems. Both companies have said when users get their password stolen, its usually due to phishing, malware, or reusing a password from an insecure site.
>>
>>63735354
Not really, but your drive is being detected as if your old windows install is the one that owns the files on it.
Annoying but easy to fix, not a problem in Linux, only windows.
>>
>>63735407
Thanks mate.
Sorry to keep harping on about it but I just don't quite get it, what was the easy fix exactly?
I did already format the drive before installing so what else can I do?
>>
>>63735303
Format during install, make sure you're using an unfucked copy

http://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
>>
>>63735220
I got it working by deleting -crf option. Well I don't mind a bit lossy video. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>63735289
What do you mean ? Like artificial standards like "nobody uses a password longer than..." ?

>>63735256
I mean, was it, at one point, costly to hash a password into the strongest hashing algorithm ? Because it doesn't really make sense to me to put your userbase at risk

>>63735388
>>Both companies have said when users get their password stolen, its usually due to phishing, malware, or reusing a password from an insecure site.
Doesn't really justify the reason to do it. I mean, websites don't even necessary crosscheck the input password with a lot of "common" passwords anyway, right ?
>>
>>63735436
Delete the partition and boot partition, and use the format option.
There is a delete button with a red cross.
>>
>>63735482
Thanks I will try it
>>
>>63735467
>I mean, was it, at one point, costly to hash a password into the strongest hashing algorithm ? Because it doesn't really make sense to me to put your userbase at risk
Modern algorithms use a "work factor" to scale the complication of bruteforcing it to that factor.

You can set that work factor to something that may take a couple seconds and most users won't see the difference over a network connection, but any attempts to crack it manually will feel the slowness.
>>
can someone explain security careers to me?
IT sec, security engineer, cyber security, security advisor

how do I make sense of this?
>>
>>63735531
Its basically all the same, just with a different name depending on the school.
Cyber security is usually a catch all term for software based stuff.
IT sec and Security engineer is network/hardware. Setting up the actual physical boxes and setting them up type deal.
Adviser is probably just some fucking theory thing.

but they have lots of intertwining
>>
>>63735587
so if I have a CS/dev background I should look around cybersec/pen testing?
I dont really know anything about networks but I am interested, it just feels like it is late to start now
>>
>>63735637
If you're doing security you need to know about networks.

If you want pen testing though that's usually more cybersec if that's what you want, but cybersec contains a lot more than just pentesting.
>>
About to start a new job with a financial firm doing software development. I'm currently in the preemployment process and they're telling me I don't need to take a drug test. What are the odds that I will be surprised with one?
>>
>>63728011
Is there a way to archive my entire reddit account with all my comments and posts?
>>
>>63735703
how much would I need to know about networks?
I understand the theory but I've never done sysadmin work
>>
>>63735748
"my"
>>
>>63735788
Yeah, I wanna delete it
>>
>>63735769
As always, it depends what you're doing. You at least need to know how they work and basic tools to monitor/filter them. You don't need to be an expert exactly. Just knowledgeable enough to understand what you're doing with them.
>>
>>63735829
thank you
>>
>>63734879
Install Bluetooth drivers.
>>
>>63735862
I did actually, Blueman. everything works now.
Thanks thanks.
>>
If I have a folder of mkv files with FLAC audio, and it came with a separate folder full of TrueHD mka files, is there any point to muxing those in or are they just for players that don't use FLAC audio?
>>
>>63729762
I got it, after many, many trials and errors. Battery removal was the trick.
>>
I've got a 20gb segment of free space on an SSD that I plan to install Arch Linux to.

What's the best way to partition it? Or is a single partition fine?

Storage space is already handled through the other drives in the computer.
>>
>>63736116
Single partition would be easiest

Some people partition their linux installs with their home folder on another drive/partition (you can get close to this with Windows too) to make it easy to reinstall/swap later without hassle. The trap here is you need to dedicate as much space as you think the OS will need and how big you imagine your home folder getting.
>>
>>63734264
HELP HOW DO I USE MIRC FOR FREE
>>
>>63734264
>Find and used a crack version either temporarily or permanently to forge the registration. Upon launching the original version it will ask to check, just ignore it.
>Buy it.
>Launch it a million times and it'll eventually let you through.

I too have this problem, but usually go with the 3rd option or if my patience is thin, the first.
>>
>>63728029
Step 1. Install windows.
Step 2. Install Linux.

Step 2 will automagically install grub which will recognize your windows install.
>>
>>63734264
Are you seriously asking how to find a pirated copy of a piece of software?
>>
>>63734264
yes, by using Hexchat.
>>
>>63735637
Visit /cyb/ general.
>>
>>63736340
I'm too retarded for them
>>
I'm creating a bootable usb for manjaro with rufus, I want to dual boot it with windows 10 but install it in a separate drive (I have two HDD), I suppose the file system has to be FAT32 but what partition scheme do I chose? I remember I chose MBR for UEFI when installing Ubuntu but in the manjaro wiki it says to choose GPT.
>>
File: 1491850576648.jpg (78 KB, 391x536)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>63728011
Guys, my old tertiary hard drive just disconnected randomly after its been running super slow lately.. It's not coming back on now. What happened and what do?
>>
>>63736239
I don't trust random pajeet executables. I found a guide on how to supposedly crack it myself but I'm way too lazy.
I'll try the third option, even though it doesn't make any sense. How does this shit work, anyway? It's an old version, used to be fine, and now isn't working, all of a sudden. I guess it's some change on the server it checks, in which case, can't it be blocked from connecting to whatever it's connecting to?

>>63736318
No.

>>63736338
I do have Hexchat and it seems alright, but as I said, I have scripts in the mIRC scripting language I want to use.
>>
>>63736352
Oh no. We're a nice bunch I promise. I've asked the stupidest shit and always got an answer. There's a good thread on getting started in sec in the current thread.
>>
My SSD pretty much only has the important system files on it, everything else goes to a seperate HDD.
Am I missing quality of life improvments by not using it more? I guess if I worked with pictures a lot that could be useful, but I don't
>>
>>63736447
Only time the SSD helps a lot is when your OS is installed on it because the OS is substantially faster on an SSD, or if you install your video games on it because SSDs also substantially decrease loading times.
>>
Guys, I would really appreciate some help with this: >>63734706

It's for a hacking challenge.
>>
>>63736480
context
>>
>>63736480
You thought converting it to binary would yield some magical result. I would drop out if I were you.
>>
>>63736498
The purpose is to break into a VM. The first step after booting it, is to realize there's a webserver running that takes you to this webpage:
http://[VM ip]/[the string I posted]/index.html

The webpage has nothing, no cookies, no relevant headers. So I guess the flag must be hiding in that string.
>>
>>63736480
Why would you convert to binary before converting to ascii?

It still doesn't but I don't understand your process.

Plus its a fucking challenge, why would you ask other for the answer? You're not accomplishing anything by getting other people to do your work for you.
>>
>>63736550
It wasn't me who converted it to binary, of course it's pointless. I'm not asking for you to solve this for me, I'm just trying to see if I'm missing something. This seems like a hex string, but I can't retrieve any information form it.
>>
>>63736447
you're not missing anything, SSDs are an overhyped reddit meme, it only really matters for boot times and video game loading times
>>
>>63735482
I did it and it worked! So I must have formatted but not DELETED the partition first, which left the previous ownership on there. Thank you very much.

Annoyed that I have to set up my PC again after just spending all yesterday doing it but oh well.
>>
>>63736540
what flag
>>
>>63729113
I make more than that in retail lmao.
>>
>>63736579
I mean honestly anon without doing it ourselves there's not much to say.
Its probably just a random hex address to stop you from bruteforcing into the webpage. And the flag is still on the webpage itself and you just haven't run a full scan on it or looked at the actual info on it.
>>
>>63736589
It's okay annon, you don't have to feel bad about not shelling out the 60 bucks. Just stop spreading around bad advice.
>>
>>63736712
sorry, it's a hacking ctf type of challenge, there's a secret message hiding somewhere (the flag).

>>63736766
Maybe, it's just that I don't see anything in the page itself.
>>
>>63736777
Have you actually looked at the page source or are you just looking for a magical picture?
>>
>>63736774
A 500 GB SSD is close to 200 bucks though
>>
>>63736540
>>63736777
the length of this thing is 128, it surely means something
I dont know what to do with that though
>>
>>63736809
If you don't bother getting it on sale. You only need like 120 for your OS though, most shit goes on an HDD just fine.
>>
How do I make network settings permanent in Linux. Like, I always need to increase the mtu of my Ethernet doing something like
ip link set eth0 mtu 3000

But that doesn't stay. Is there a way to just, save the current settings so they become the default.
>>
>>63729643
>>63729944
I currently have 32gb of ram so I don't think that's am issue though I do forget what kind if ssd I have, though it and the hdd are about two years old if thats an issue
>>
>>63736809
a 500gb 850EVO is like 140
>>
Can it be harmful to delete /usr/local/share and /usr/local/var?
I uninstalled homebrew on my hackintosh and wanted to make sure everything was gone because autism.
>>
>>63736804
I did, I can't post it (I get an error everytime I try), but it has close to nothing on it, just a youtube video embedded (not relevant).
>>
File: 1509128672239.jpg (27 KB, 405x405)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Just posted this in /sci/

Hello, everyone.

I got a somewhat serious query, but I don't really know where to begin.

Let's just say that I am wondering if there is such a thing as a program, app, algorythm or place on the interner that can count how many different words a specific text has.

I have been thinking about this all day and all I've been able to come up with (couldn't go online and google it) is some sort of code chain implemented somewhere, but where?

Also, is there such a thing already in existence? What is it called?

Pic Unrelated
>>
>>63736948
Boggle cheat engine
>>
>>63736809
Not anymore.
3D NAND decreased in price recently since the production increase effects are showing up now.
It will get even more cheap later on.
>>
>>63736948
>wc doc.txt
>>
>>63736948
its not hard to write if it doesnt need to be optimal
>>
>>63736948
What's the input format? If it's plain text, you could probably whip up something in python in a few hours.
>>
>>63736989
>hours
anon...
>>
>>63736989
I think just copying "Sieve of Eratosthenes" could do the trick

take the first word, delete it from the text, take the next word..
>>
>>63736989
Input format needn't be an issue, can be adapted. Rtf, doc, whatever. Changing the format of the input document is not an issue. It's text documents.

>>63736977
What characteristics you think would an optimal retrieval system require?

>>63736974
Please, elaborate.

>>63736966
WTF is this, I need number of words per text, not graphoyahtzee
>>
Can you use pushback on a specific vector element? Like
void fullSearch(vector<Book> library, vector<Book> searchResults)
{
searchResults.clear();
string searchTerms;
bool found;
cout << "Please enter your search term: ";
cin.ignore();
getline(cin, searchTerms);

for (unsigned int i = 0; i < library.size(); ++i)
{
found = library[i].matchTitle(searchTerms);
cout <<"found equals: " << found << endl;
if (found)
{
cout << "working" << endl;
searchResults.push_back(library[i]); //<< right here?
}
else
cout << "not working" << endl;
}
}
>>
>>63737031
If your question is how many words a doc has total. There's literally a a built in function wc that does it. if you want unique its a bit harder but still trivial.
>>
>>63736913
Anyone?
>>
>>63736948
learn to google you little shit

https://planetcalc.com/3205/
>>
I managed to download Russian malware (was using a russian installer and just clicked through). So right away I checked for rats in msconfig and had malwarebytes scanning. Found some of it and got it off.
Since then i keep seeing cmd windows pop up that are trying to run batch files that aren't on my computer anymore. They're generally trying to run stuff that is supposed to be in my appdata.

Malewarebytes doesn't report anything harmful on my computer anymore. So i'm not sure what to do?
>>
Where do I go to in the bios to devote more voltage to my gpu? I see things like vcore and pci voltages, is it one of those?
>>
>>63737155
Dont even touch PCIe voltages unless you want to lose a PCIe slot.

Use MSI Afterburner
>My card is not MSI
Still MSI Afterburner.
>>
>>63737135
Alright, download Microsoft Autorun, if you wanna i can link you to it.
Also download Adwcleaner.
>>
>>63737135
install gentoo

...or reinstall windows
in fact, anytime you catch one of those viruses you should reinstall just to be sure you deleted everything
>>
>>63737039
Please? I would really appreciate the help.
>>
Anyone use tape drives? I have a LTO-1 drive but it's busted so looking for a new one. LTO-3 drives seem to be pretty cheap but am I correct in that they cannot write to LTO-1 tapes?
>>
>>63737259
Ok

>>63737260
Yeah I might just reinstall.
>>
>>63737317
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
Open autoruns64.exe as admin.
Not autorunssc.exe

If it crashes when you open it tell me.
>>
File: 1.png (3 KB, 318x70)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>63737325
it opens, found these
>>
>>63737346
Post a screenshot of the logon and scheduled task tabs.
>>
File: 2.png (119 KB, 1066x748)
119 KB
119 KB PNG
>>63737351
Wow some of these are really sketchy. I doubt i've ever downloaded anything adobe.
>>
>>63737402
All ones by microsoft are legit in yours, they are normal.
cmd one too

>How do i know if they are legit or fake
By the file creation date.

In your scheduled tasks just uncheck the yellow boxes.
You might want to disable nvidia telemetry too if you are into paranoid security too.

Its the NvTmXXX files.
>>
>>63737402
Also Yeah your adobe reader is malware, not legit, uncheck it too.

And i see you have windows defender off, turn it off just wastes performance.
>>
>>63737442
>Windows defender off
windows defender on*
Its useless, only in 10 its where it became somewhat useful but still bloat.

Once you are done unchecking them just close the window and run Adwcleaner.
>>
>>63737122
Yeah, that's kind of what I am looking for, but for longer texts, as in about 100 full A4 sheets.

>>63737063
My question was clear from the start but you seem to have misread it.
>>
>>63737435
>>63737442
thanks boys, you saved me from elite russian keyboard mafia
>>
>>63737039
So does no one know, or am I not giving enough information?
>>
>>63737508
What were you doing that you got russian malware?
>>
>>63737519
Downloading a game torrent that was repacked by some russians. wanted to try something out before buying it
>>
>>63737534
What game?

If you want repacked games try:
fitgirl-repacks.site

Or if you just want games without repacking:
igg-games.com
>>
>>63737568
>fitgirl-repacks.site
yea i actually ended up downloading from them, it was GTA
>>
Why can't I get hangouts to ring while my phone is locked? If it is unlocked it rings fine.
>>
What are actually good sites to read about technology? Something that isn't tomshardware-tier please.
>>
4chan is banned in my country recently but somehow i can access it via Firefox despite getting connection not secure error now. I'm getting Site can't be reached error on Opera and on my laptop i can access via Safari but i get connection error when trying to post. Any idea why three browsers are all acting up different than one other ?
Firefox it is for now, which is already what i've been using on my desktop but looks like i have to switch my browser on my macbook
>>
when I click "Browse.." to add a pic to my posts and start typing in the "File name" it used to offer file search suggestions, but doesn't any more.

Anyone know how to get this function back?
>>
>>63738390
4chan API behaves differently based in browser.
>>
File: internet.png (8 KB, 437x113)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
my internet connection is really fucky right now
download speeds and ping are decent but the upload speed is abysmal and i cant watch streaming related things at all
anyone have an idea what could be wrong? cable seems ok but im going to get a new one
cant be the router since my phone and my roommate both have decent upload speeds and stuff
>>
>>63738740
Call your isp
>>
>>63733273
More to this guy's question, is there anything better than a chromecast that's free?

Like, if there's a chromecast VM image I could run, or some web api to mpv+youtube-dl

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.