[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/g/ - Technology



Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



Is “one brand making the whole smartphone and computer hardware and software ecosystem” the true redpill? Is the true redpill either:
>using macbook, iphone with ios
>using microsoft laptop, microsoft phone with windows phone OS
>using google phone with android, google laptop with chrome OS
?
>>
First of all stop using garbage meme terms.

Second, no. There are some benefits of using devices with shared ecosystems but going all in generally isn't necessary unless it's apple shit.

i.e. I can use android and windows and use all of google's services just fine. No need for a chromebook pixel running chrome OS.
>>
>>64306318
No. Compare each product with your needs and buy accordingly.
>>
>>64306318
>Are monopolies good?
No.
>>
>>64306333
>First of all stop using garbage meme terms.
Why? You’re all the worst racists on 4chan. Definitely the most elitistic racist on 4chan. Racists on /pol/ aren’t elitist, they’re not like “ew fucking pajeets, separate me from them please i’m above them”, “ew fucking noobs, i won’t reply to those who aren’t on the same level of knowledge as me”.

>Second, no. There are some benefits of using devices with shared ecosystems but going all in generally isn't necessary unless it's apple shit.
What are the benefits?
>>
>>64306318
>E7A1480E-87A3-4833-81E7-E6A26EF0226D.png
kys
>>
>>64306346
How is that monopoly, you commie? Clearly you have choices here, and no entity is blocking anyone from participating in the industry. Only governments are doing monopoly
>>
What a fucking moron.
>>
File: wojak.jpg (143 KB, 900x900)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>64306318
>>
File: 1502895189242.jpg (42 KB, 358x381)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>iToddler gets banned so many times he's afraid to post any of his usual bait and has to make thinly veiled shill threads
>>
>>64306401
being stuck with a macbook because you have an iphone limits your choice and binds you to one brand.
>>
the original unix creators basically all embraced the apple pill
it
just
werks
>>
>>64306462
Why are /g/ brainlets so fucking stupid? Why do they misuse economics words and pretend they understand anything about politics?

Are all of you legitimately 13 year olds?
>>
>>64306318
Bluest pill you can take right after having your girlfriend ram her feminine dick up your ass.
>>
>>64306481
>unironically supporting brand loyalty
WHY DO YOU LIKE BEING A KEK
>>
>>64306401
>the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.
Perfectly describes one company ecosystem
Apple has monopoly of Apple products.
>>
remember the unix philosophy?
>>
>>64306318
>iPod
>not using Apple Music on iPad or iPhone
>iTunes still called iTunes on PC/Mac OS when it should be called Apple Music
>>
>>6430633
I have an iPad and it's perfectly usable without a mac
was even able to sideload kodi to play media off my nfs shares
>>
>>64306318
While sticking with a ecosystem would sound like a great idea on paper, the truth it sucks. Companies might have a great product or a few, but not all their products are great. For example: Microsoft Windows and Windows Phone. Microsoft is even dropping Windows Phone and suggesting people use Android. Apple has a okay computer and tablet/phone, but their watch sucks. Google may have a great operating system (Android), but Chrome OS sucks. I used Chrome OS on a Chromebook and it sucks.

I would just buy different products, because sticking to a single brand for a brand ecosystem is bad because usually one or more products they have sucks.

Another example: If I just stuck with apple products, I would have a watch that sucks and Apple TV is too expensive compared to Fire TV or Roku. Get the best products from each company, don't stick to one company for everything.
>>
>>64306318
They dont make shit. They sublicense components, assemble them in the shiny hipster cases and sell them twice the price.
>>
>>64306462
>>64306512
But iphone is their property. Just because they have the ability to make products, doesn’t mean that they have the social responsibility to please you the way you want. Of course they’ll please you, but in another way that they want, with their own business strategy, because the products are their property. That’s not monopoly, you brainlet fucks.
>>
>>64306318
>Forgetting GNU/Linux laptop and LineageOS or PureOS phone
Its like you've never been free. Its actually quite sad.
>>
Is the windows OS faster on the Microsoft Surface Laptop?
>>
>>64307005
I dont give a damn who owns what or if they have no responsibility
they will do what i want or they wont get my money. if the entire market is fucked they government can come in and ram their big communist dicks up their asses and ill cheer them on out of spite.
>>
>>64307093
Sounds just like an ignorant fuck. Well you know what, you’re wrong and it’s proven to be
>>
Guys >>64307052
>>
>>64307052
No.
>>
>>64306401
>you commie
whats with the uneducated retards on 4ch lately? is this just a symptom of the ~alt right culture~
communism is a literal monopoly you mouth breathing retard, hating on it is the exact opposite.
>>
>>64306318
> Is the true redpill either:
> >using macbook, iphone with ios
> >using microsoft laptop, microsoft phone with windows phone OS
> >using google phone with android, google laptop with chrome OS
> ?
The true redpill is a free/libre computer, free/libre phone, running free/libre OSes. If you count freedom as a brand, then then answer to your question is yes, sure.
>>
>>64308298
The redpill is profit and competition makes better products
>>
>>64308671
The redder pill is that better products that come at the expense of your freedom are not better.
>>
>>64306964
>the watch sucks

What? The watch is like the best of all smart watches. That is, I don't mean to defend jewpple, but I think their watch is much better than what android wear can offer.
>>
>>64308199
Are you against me or what? Yes youre right and i agree with you

>>64308690
Wtf man yes you have freedom. The only freedom you have is what you can do with your own property. Forcing people to give their free shit for you is not freedom. Murderers can take others’ lives, is that freedom?
>>
>>64306318
That's the Japanese flag surrounded by Apple devices.
>>
>>64308841
Who's forcing anyone? You have to choose to release your code under an open source license, you do realize that, right?
>>
>>64306385
Seek help
>>
>>64306333
Even with Apple, it's not necessary to go all in. For a long time I was using a MacBook and an Android phone, and there were no particular downsides compared to MacBook and iPhone. A couple of minor conveniences I didn't get, but nothing serious enough to be called an actual downside.
>>
>tfw i have a house that i rightfully own, then someone comes in knocking to seek shelter for a week. I said yes but you have to pay. He says yes. Then i tell him to take his shoes off in my house but he says i’m violating his FREEDOM to wear shoes. Tfw.

I swear /g/fags are the stupidest on this website. But acting very elitist like they’re the REAL DEAL. “Le fucking pajeets!”
>>
>>64308841
> The only freedom you have is what you can do with your own property.
Except I FUCKING DON'T and that's then entire reason the whole freetard movement exists. Most laptops can have an alternative OS installed, but for phones it's extremely problematic - if a phone happens to have a locked bootloader, I have zero freedom to do shit with it, usually I won't even be able to get fucking admin access in the OS. You call that freedom? "Muh security" isn't an argument, because it's my fucking phone. Maybe I want to research how likely you are to get exploited running a mobile system with admin privileges, or maybe I'm not a bumbling retard and am capable of administering a system without immediately loading it with malware. I'm not even talking about open source here - although that's also important.

Trust me, if normies didn't stand for the current proprietary cancer and the situation was under control, I wouldn't give two shits about libre software. Open source software with an NDA, but the ability to redistribute patches or modification guides, would basically satisfy all the practical reasons to want free software without allowing legal copying and redistribution of the entire product.
>>
>>64309009
>tfw i have a computer i rightfully own, then I put some software on it. I try to reverse engineer or modify the software but it says I don't have the FREEDOM to do what I like with my own computer that I rightfully own. Tfw.

Fucking bootlickers.
>>
>>64309009
You licensed the right to live in your house to him, and that's the fucking problem.

Imagine you could make arbitrary copies of your house at zero cost, and there were a bunch of people seeking shelter and prepared to pay. Some of them also like to wear shoes at home. You could easily sell them each a copied house and let them do whatever, but instead you decide to rent your houses out (despite being able to create an unlimited amount of them), and then - because you technically still own all those houses - you impose any conditions you want on your new tenants, such as "you can't wear shoes indoors".
The problem here is that most normies decide to be happy with this renting arrangement despite there being no actual reason for it, and then comply with your conditions. The minority that doesn't like your conditions - the ones that usually wear shoes at home, for instance - are understandably angry that you did this; however, they now have no leverage because all the idiot normies happily rent out your non-libre houses, so you have no incentive to cater to the few unhappy ones.

THAT'S what software freedom is about. RMS also believes all houseowners should be able to make and sell copies of the houses too, but others disagree, and it's not the most important part.
>>
>>64309061
Lol yes you can. You have a choice to not choose that software. He doesn’t force you to use his software.

>>64309101
Yes i did but i didn’t sell my whole house to him, i sell him one room and water and toilet and food and heater etc etc. i didn’t sell him my whole house. I made him pay $300 a month, not $300,000 for the whole house.

Also my argument was to respond to how people think the government should be involved in deciding what businesses can do with their own products and pricing. Responding to how people think “monopolies are bad” and there should be power to limit companies from becoming “too successful”.

I was not to argue about ‘the best business strategy’.
>>
>>64309240
>It's not a restriction of your freedom to be prevented from doing something with your own computer

Delicious boot.
>>
>>64309240
> Yes i did but i didn’t sell my whole house to him, i sell him one room and water and toilet and food and heater etc etc. i didn’t sell him my whole house. I made him pay $300 a month, not $300,000 for the whole house.
If you SOLD him one room then he absolutely has the right to walk in boots in that room, and you trying to stop him would very much be violating his freedom.
On the other hand, if you're renting it to him, then it's exactly what I was talking about. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

> Also my argument was to respond to how people think the government should be involved in deciding what businesses can do [...].
You should've made that a lot more clear because fucking nobody in the thread was talking about government regulations on pricing and shit, and you just came in and made a post without replying to anyone in particular. So if that's what you're actually talking about then fuck right off, we're not talking about this here
>>
File: 1315629207758.jpg (110 KB, 600x480)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>64306385
You should stop posting here.
>>
>>64309289
Apple has the freedom to design their products the way they want. You bought their products with the way it is, with the limitations that apple has decided on their products. When you pay for one product, you also pay for the limitations that come with it. Buying the license of one product doesn’t grant you with the license on the whole company and director board.

>>64309413
Wrong, i didn’t sell the room. In a way that he can’t modify the room or burn the whole room. I sell the service of staying. Like hotels.
>>
>>64309680
> Wrong, i didn’t sell the room. In a way that he can’t modify the room or burn the whole room. I sell the service of staying. Like hotels.
Then you fucking rented it which is exactly what I talked about in my first post. I don't fucking get what you're trying to say now; you're just restating your initial assumption, are you trying to make some sort of point?

>"hey guys if A then B so you're wrong"
>yes but given "if A then B" you have this and this and so basically C
>"no but if A, then B!"
>in which case C like I said above, yes?
>"no because if A then B!"
This is what you sound like
>>
>>64309752
Let me rephrase it to you: Apple has the freedom to design their products the way they want. You bought their products with the way it is, with the limitations that apple has decided on their products. When you pay for one product, you also pay for the limitations that come with it. Buying the license of one product doesn’t grant you the license on the whole company and board of directors
>>
>>64309836
At what fucking point did I ever mention Apple you mongoloid
I couldn't give two shits about Apple, for the very reason you just described actually
>>
>>64306318
Clearly not
>>
>>64310455
But macOS doesn’t work well on a windows computer.




Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.